You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Seems like this is a win/win situation Tikay  You're making a few quid, which is always nice. More importantly though, you're having fun doing it.
    Posted by Jac35
    True.

As you know, Paul, it is the enjoyment factor which is paramount to me. Trying to win £20 or so a night is never going to set the world on fire, but I'm having a proper ball trying to beat the challenge.

How is the Mum-To-Be getting on?

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sigh.  I was on for the jackpot too.  Thought we were best buds Tikay?  Obviously the admiration only goes one way.  I certainly don't have a poster of you on my wall... honest.  Seriously I don't.   ;) Good to see that your making a decent profit on DYMs.  I've found that DYMs, for me at least, is one of the hardest forms of the game to beat.  Everyone is so incredibly nitty and it can become a lottery late on when everyone is so shallow.  That and I get bored relatively easily.  You obviously have a lot of patience sir and certainly know when to make your move. Long may the good results continue.  Don't you ever fancy just treking over to NLHE once in a while to play the odd tournament?  Theres nothing better than winning a tournament...
    Posted by gazza127
    Knew I should never have namechecked anyone.....;)

I still love NLHE Tourneys, eveyone does, but I can't do everything. I'll play them as & when, & I still get a buzz from them, it's just that these days I'm pretty useless at NLH.

I played 3 UKOPS Events last week. I just try to get to midway/two thirds distance, then win my flips, its that basic to me.

I did that on Sunday, was quite deep, then lost a flip, then made a terrible play with A-J. I had reasons, Bolly580 was opening every pot, & I was going over the top a lot, but then someone else got in the way & re-raised Bolly. Instead of binning A-J, I just sort of hoped the re-raiser was just retaliating against Bolly, & would fold. I was wrong.....

Quite painful for me, those 3 UKOPS. The Channel showed several of my hands, all of them butchered hands. Groan. Goes with the territory I guess. 

Even worse, one player came onto my Table & said "they are ripping you a new one on the Show". Thanks mate, appreciate that info..... 
  • edited November 2013
    I used to think the same about DYM's but so far I've got a 4/4 record for DYM PLO8!! Sample size FTW :P

I think DYM's are all about adjusting your style to the table. If there's quite a few laggy players then by far the best thing to do is sit tight... no doubt they'll go busto soon enough and if you can cruise into the final 4 without having to do anything that's just massively EV for us. If the table is super nitty though we can afford to open up our game and be the aggressor. Obviously not overly so but if we set aside 1000 chips for taking some risks we can quite easily build a chip stack up to 3k. If it doesn't go well, well 1k is still more than playable. Having a 3k stack should then allow us to maintain a chip advantage without doing too much work at all since nobody but the short stacks are going to want to get involved with us. 
  • edited November 2013
    I used to think the same about DYM's but so far I've got a 4/4 record for DYM PLO8!! Sample size FTW :P I think DYM's are all about adjusting your style to the table. If there's quite a few laggy players then by far the best thing to do is sit tight... no doubt they'll go busto soon enough and if you can cruise into the final 4 without having to do anything that's just massively EV for us. If the table is super nitty though we can afford to open up our game and be the aggressor. Obviously not overly so but if we set aside 1000 chips for taking some risks we can quite easily build a chip stack up to 3k. If it doesn't go well, well 1k is still more than playable. Having a 3k stack should then allow us to maintain a chip advantage without doing too much work at all since nobody but the short stacks are going to want to get involved with us. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Are you even old enough to be a policeman?

PS - Good advice there.

PPS - Keep off my Tables, OK?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ooh. I only call her MOTHER to distinguish her from the DAUGHTER, JamieLouis. There is a FATHER and an UNCLE, too, all from Bury or Rochdale or somewhere equally dreadful. They play all the SPT's, & are genuinely SPT "family".   Mother is not as old as you infer, she's about the same age as CTBN.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Oh ok. I didn't you were talking about this mother and sister.

I shared a table with JamieLou in the 6max event last year so I met both her and the Mother there.

I saw them in Birmingham also.

Apologies for my confusion Mother. Hope you are well.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oh ok. I didn't you were talking about this mother and sister. I shared a table with JamieLou in the 6max event last year so I met both her and the Mother there. I saw them in Birmingham also. Apologies for my confusion Mother. Hope you are well.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Ahh yes, I remember that now.

MOTHER is lovely. JamieLou is not really cut from the same cloth, if you get my drift. Got the fashion-sense of Natalie Bromley.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ahh yes, I remember that now. MOTHER is lovely. JamieLou is not really cut from the same cloth, if you get my drift. Got the fashion-sense of Natalie Bromley.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    That just indicates the differences between our generations.

Apologies that we are better looking and we don't have to use fashion snd clothes to make us cute and lovely. :)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ahh yes, I remember that now. MOTHER is lovely. JamieLou is not really cut from the same cloth, if you get my drift. Got the fashion-sense of Natalie Bromley.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just got in from a really really ***** day and made a coffee and read these posts and now... im smiling thank you Mr Greek and you too Mr K (I think!!)

See you oin the tables

Anne (aka Motherrr)

xx
  • edited November 2013
     Hi Tikay, I'm also trying to learn new tricks - trying to play to win instead of playing for fun for years and years ! Not that I ever intended to lose cash, just always enjoyed the fun of it and never palyed big enough to make it matter if I didn't. Already got the biggest payday in the past week or so but so many bad habits remain. Time will tell. Best of luck to you 'ma mait' 
  • edited November 2013
    Just started on the PLO8 DYMs a few days ago.

First day wasn't so great, three wins from six.

Second day was a bit better with five wins from seven

Tonight was even better with five wins from six.

Think i might make the effort to keep playing these. Not much money in them but as I am learning the game, it is best that way.
  • edited November 2013
    Just started on the PLO8 DYMs a few days ago. First day wasn't so great, three wins from six. Second day was a bit better with five wins from seven Tonight was even better with five wins from six. Think i might make the effort to keep playing these. Not much money in them but as I am learning the game, it is best that way.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    Yikes, impressive numbers!

I agree they are a great way to learn PLO8, at very low risk, as variance means it is hard to lose much more than half. We need to win around 55 out of every 100 to turn a profit. 

We are not going to win a fortune, either, but risk & reward is an interesting equation, & here we have low risk & low reward, coupled with low downside, so our poker £ goes a very long way, more, I'd say, than in ANY other poker format. 

More important - or to me, anyway - is the fun factor. Are you enjoying them?

Anyway, good to see you join the ever growing numbers playing these, & I hope that run continues.
  • edited November 2013

Thursday 7th November

No games played, but Reward Points money received, & added to balance. 

Balance now £355.84.

• edited November 2013

Friday 8th November

Played 8

Won 4

Lost 4

Split....

£2.25 - Played 3, won 1, Lost 2

£5.50 - Played 4, won 2, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £4.25

REWARD POINTS = 39

BANKROLL at close of Play = £360.14

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 854
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 119

Won 72

Lost 47

Win-rate, November, 60.5%
  • edited November 2013

Just a short session yesterday, after missing Thursday completely to to UKPC stuff, & doing the Show. The real life Diary gets in the way sometimes, but I was itching to play yesterday, so managed a couple of hours.

A 4-4 split did my batting average no good at all, but at least I turned a small profit.

Got hilariously coolered twice, but in a way, they were getoffable I suppose, so blame myself. 

I had Potted it after 3 limpers with the quite reasonable A-3-J-J Double suited, & got a customer.  The flop was J-J-2, not what I had been looking for, but I had the J, with A kicker, so we went to war. Matey Boy had THE only hand he could re-pot with, of course, 2-2-x-x, but I could not bring myself to believe him, I just thought he had a bare Jack. That'll teach me not to believe folks.

However, I got lucky because I only played one @ £11, & won that, so it skewed the £££'s in my favour, & we emerged with a small profit.

Next milestone, £375. Or £350.  

• edited November 2013
    How could Matey Boy have a bare jack if you have two and the other two are on the board?

P.S. Well done on the general upwards direction.
  • edited November 2013
    How could Matey Boy have a bare jack if you have two and the other two are on the board? P.S. Well done on the general upwards direction.
    Posted by FCHD
    Easy - because I completely mangled the description of my hand. Good spot sir, & apologyments. I had to re-read my Post 4 times before I spotted the booboo.  

I had, of course, A-A-J-3, not A-J-J-3. I'd never pot it (assuming normal stack dynamics, early doors) with A-J-J-3, that one goes in the muck, pre, every time.

Hopefully it makes sanse now! I've not Edited my Post, & won't, or this exchange will become nonsensical.

At least I now know someone reads my inane & endless drivel.

• edited November 2013
    Just a short session yesterday, after missing Thursday completely to to UKPC stuff, & doing the Show. The real life Diary gets in the way sometimes, but I was itching to play yesterday, so managed a couple of hours. A 4-4 split did my batting average no good at all, but at least I turned a small profit. Got hilariously coolered twice, but in a way, they were getoffable I suppose, so blame myself.  I had Potted it after 3 limpers with the quite reasonable A-3-J-J Double suited, & got a customer.  The flop was J-J-2, not what I had been looking for, but I had the J, with A kicker, so we went to war. Matey Boy had THE only hand he could re-pot with, of course, 2-2-x-x, but I could not bring myself to believe him, I just thought he had a bare Jack. That'll teach me not to believe folks. However, I got lucky because I only played one @ £11, & won that, so it skewed the £££'s in my favour, & we emerged with a small profit.   Next milestone, £375. Or £350.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    wow
    before i realised it was a typo I jumped out of my bath with eager anticipation as to what new nugget of PLO8 strategy i was about to learn. Luckily i wasn't on skype at the time.
  • edited November 2013
    talking of strategy, quick PLO question for you Tikay (reg Omaha mtt not dym)

running pretty low of chips, is my hand good enough to shove, if not what would you look for?

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    jod67 Small blind   75.00 75.00 2096.25
    LucyGucy Big blind   150.00 225.00 1225.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q
    • A

focussss4 Fold        
    sssnake719 Call   150.00 375.00 2868.75
    GELDY All-in   675.00 1050.00 0.00
    tren51 Call   675.00 1725.00 2920.00
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : wow before i realised it was a typo I jumped out of my bath with eager anticipation as to what new nugget of PLO8 strategy i was about to learn. Luckily i wasn't on skype at the time.
    Posted by GELDY
    You read my Posts whilst in the bath?

The mind truly boggles.
  • edited November 2013
    talking of strategy, quick PLO question for you Tikay (reg Omaha mtt not dym) running pretty low of chips, is my hand good enough to shove, if not what would you look for? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance jod67 Small blind   75.00 75.00 2096.25 LucyGucy Big blind   150.00 225.00 1225.00   Your hole cards https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif '); background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border: 1px solid #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="spade">K https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif '); background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border: 1px solid #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="diamond">Q https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif '); background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border: 1px solid #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="diamond">9 https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/heart.gif '); background-color: #ffffff; display: block; border: 1px solid #9bc3e5; width: 15px; text-align: center; font-size: 0.9em; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="heart">A       focussss4 Fold         sssnake719 Call   150.00 375.00 2868.75 GELDY All-in   675.00 1050.00 0.00 https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/hhdealer.gif '); background-color: transparent; background-position: 100% 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat" class="dealer">tren51 Call   675.00 1725.00 2920.00
    Posted by GELDY
    I can't read that gelders, but if you re-Post the HH, or better still, just tell me stack sizes, blinds, & Hand, & table position, I'll let you know what I'd do.

Try & get the hand correct, I've seen some idiots post hands completely wrong.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I can't read that gelders, but if you re-Post the HH, or better still, just tell me stack sizes, blinds, & Hand, & table position, I'll let you know what I'd do.   Try & get the hand correct, I've seen some idiots post hands completely wrong.
    Posted by Tikay10
    sorry about that - shame copy/paste hh is so iffy - had to open a different browser to get it to work - a waterproof one of course.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : sorry about that - shame copy/paste hh is so iffy - had to open a different browser to get it to work - a waterproof one of course.
    Posted by GELDY
    With 4.5 Bigs, it is quite marginal at first sight, but once the Blinds go through, you'll be in mortal danger, especially if they soon go 200-400, so yes, I think I'd shove there.

You have some nut draws, plenty of paint, connected cards, & it is MUCH easier to shove with a marginal than call with a marginal, so we might pick up 30% of our stack from dead money in the middle. You can rarely be in terrible shape with that hand. 

I'd not be interested in the outcome on THIS occasion, rather, what would happen in that identical spot 10,000 times. I'm pretty sure you'd be long-term profitable shoving there. If we do the correct things repeatedly, we'll be just fine, never mind the short-term.

You dried yourself properly? You know, under the arms, cracks & crevices, everywhere? 

• edited November 2013
    i think so, do you think i should use the hair dryer just to make sure?

thks for that TK, never really played much Omaha (unlike PLO8) so don't have a good feel for it yet. but given your exhortations i'm trying to play some more. i feared waiting for better would take too long and as you say the hand has a few nice characteristics. as you say the result is irrelevent, but at least the concept wasn't stupid.
  • edited November 2013
    talking of strategy, quick PLO question for you Tikay (reg Omaha mtt not dym) running pretty low of chips, is my hand good enough to shove, if not what would you look for? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance jod67 Small blind   75.00 75.00 2096.25 LucyGucy Big blind   150.00 225.00 1225.00   Your hole cards K Q 9 A       focussss4 Fold         sssnake719 Call   150.00 375.00 2868.75 GELDY All-in   675.00 1050.00 0.00 tren51 Call   675.00 1725.00 2920.00
    Posted by GELDY

If i can be allowed to give an opinion on this. For me this is an auto shove hand. You have 4 out of the 6 hands nut drawing and no danglers in sight. With this short a stack you will not get a much better spot. Chances are you will get called but even against a dominating hand you are not in too bad a spot at all. Marginal decision if you were being asked to call with the hand but shoving is fine because there are always the times you wont be called to add to the liquidity of it.
  • edited November 2013
    i think so, do you think i should use the hair dryer just to make sure? thks for that TK, never really played much Omaha (unlike PLO8) so don't have a good feel for it yet. but given your exhortations i'm trying to play some more. i feared waiting for better would take too long and as you say the hand has a few nice characteristics. as you say the result is irrelevent, but at least the concept wasn't stupid.
    Posted by GELDY

The more I think about that spot, the better I like it as a shoving hand in PLO. We don't always get called, either, so if the shove gets through half the time, our odds improve by 50% over time.

In PLO8, I may answer differently, because, ideally, I want a two way hand in PL08, giving me two chances to win, or at least half. Also, in PLO8, odd as it may seem, but we are not FORCED to shove with 4.5 Bigs, & these "spots" come along far more frequently than in PLO.  

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :   If i can be allowed to give an opinion on this. For me this is an auto shove hand. You have 4 out of the 6 hands nut drawing and no danglers in sight. With this short a stack you will not get a much better spot. Chances are you will get called but even against a dominating hand you are not in too bad a spot at all. Marginal decision if you were being asked to call with the hand but shoving is fine because there are always the times you wont be called to add to the liquidity of it.
    Posted by Talon
    Yes, good point, it's rare we have a paint hand with no danglers, very rare, so another plus point.

This was PLO, of course, but we should all understand "danglers".

In PLO8, to me, danglers would be any 7,8 or 9, all of which are dreadful cards, really hand-killers. In PLO, any 4 paint hand, especially with nut draws, is almost a premium.
  • edited November 2013
    It's a hand that I would probably shove in a MTT but maybe pass in a DYM
  • edited November 2013
    It's a hand that I would probably shove in a MTT but maybe pass in a DYM
    Posted by FCHD
    Yes, because stack & format dynamics in a DYM are so much different. This especially applies if there is a shorter stack on the Table with 4 left (there usually is) & even more so if that player keeps limping from his 3 BB stack. And remarkably, many do, & we just KNOW this guy is at risk every single hand, so we can step aside & hope to win by default more often than not.

With 4 players left in a DYM, at, say, 200-400, the AVERAGE stack is only 7.5 Bigs, so normal rules don't apply.  
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Easy - because I completely mangled the description of my hand. Good spot sir, & apologyments. I had to re-read my Post 4 times before I spotted the booboo.   I had, of course, A-A-J-3, not A-J-J-3. I'd never pot it (assuming normal stack dynamics, early doors) with A-J-J-3, that one goes in the muck, pre, every time. Hopefully it makes sanse now! I've not Edited my Post, & won't, or this exchange will become nonsensical.   At least I now know someone reads my inane & endless drivel.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Shame, I thought this was going to be the first time ever that a "Sky is Rigged" post was going to be originated by one of the on-screen talent, as you'd have to admit, if there were 5 Jacks in play for a hand, that would have consitituted "rigged" poker!!!! Of course someone reads your thread, it is the only "diary" type thread that I read on a regular basis