You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD:
    A lot of players have PM'd me today, wanting to know how they can best optimise their chances. Just play as well as you can, that's all. That's how the Mentors will find you. I will reply to the PM's soonest (I'm a bit overwhelmed today), but that'll be my reply. When should you "start"? Err, NOW!
    Posted by Tikay10
    How many of them have offered you cash rewards? LOL

This is a great idea from Sky it gets the 2 thumbs up award from me. As to how sky will shortlist only 50 players from the whole site.. well rather them than me! At least in my favour I have been on the site for a long time and played many of the presenters and backroom staff before, so they know who I am and how I play. (maybe thats a bad thing). If I was to be chosen this would be amazing, as iv always said, I picked up the basics of poker by watching the show and everything after that is "Self taught" through trial and error so to have a mentor to show different ideas to situations can only be a positive thing!.

Goodluck to everyone and fingers crossed.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : Well lets look at that slightly differently. Who will win this? The one who gets most votes. And who will be doing the Voting? The players on the Site, & Posters on this Forum. That's YOU guys. So I know if I were able to enter this, & I wanted peeps to vote for me, I'd try to raise my profile a bit, by puttting my name about on the Forum, & trying to get the community onside. The winner will be the player who OUR PLAYERS vote for.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Fair point Tikay, to be honest although I watched the programme live I was somewhat distracted by Richards jumper so my mind kept wandering so I missed the finer points.  Sky+ is my friend.
  • edited December 2009
    Loved the line from 'Matt" ...  "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"   classic :))
    Posted by bennydip2

It’s a quote from the Adagia, a work by the Dutch philosopher Desiderius Erasmus (1466 - 1536)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus."
    Or 
    "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

All the best

• edited December 2009
    Did my eyes decieve me or did matt reveal the third mentor in his interview
    Posted by karlluke
    LOL. There's always one sharp knife in the drawer... ;)
  • edited December 2009
    So from what i have seen so far then, even though i stick to 30p & 60p DYM because of BRM i am still in with a possible chance at this competion?
    Posted by margatemaf
    Absoultely! The level you play at won't matter - just how well you play. Good luck!

Matt B
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : yeah he did lol, i noticed that too!! ;) A bit confused can someone clear this up? Ed - sit n go mentor Matt - MTT mentor David - Cash mentor this right? or am i way off base?
    Posted by margatemaf
    Hi all - we're not mentoring individual disciplines, I think they just wanted to establish that between us we know what we're doing. TBH I play as much MTT as I play SNG as I play CASH, so don't confuse that we'll ONLY be juding the subjects we've been identified as 'experts' on. We'll all be looking for EXACTLY the same thing - good players regardless of it being cash/mtt/sng. Whatever you prefer to play, you'll have an equal chance of moving forward.

Good luck.

MB
  • edited December 2009
    thanks loki ;) so it looks like i gotta impress Ed, who to be honest i know nothing about ;) excpt Norman Pace taught him!
    Posted by margatemaf
    Just to clear it up - you have to impress ALL of us. Just becuase I've been put forward as an 'MTT Expert' doesn't mean i'm going to be looking at MTT players only. I could very well end up with only CASH players in my group if those are the players that impress me most...

Hopefully all we become much clearer as we progress. In a nutshell, play whatever you think you are strongest at, and between we 3 mentors and the backroom team we'll see you - don't worry.

Good luck!

Matt
  • edited December 2009
    Just watched the re-run and looks pretty good should keep the forums / community buzzing for the
    next X amount fo weeks :)

Gl to all ;)
  • edited December 2009
    CashMonkey wrote...... "Hi Guys, If all the prizes are Tournament Packages, aren't the Tournament only players going to be picked bv the Mentors? What about us cash players - will the Mentors bother looking at the Cash Games? Thanks a lot, CashMonkey". No - players from ALL disciplines will be selected & judged. It's just the PRIZE that is for Tournaments. You can rest assured that the Mentors WILL be looking very closely at the Cash Games, AND the STT's, DYM's, as well as MTT's. EVERY PLAYER, no matter what they play, has the chance to win this.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi all - just to reinforce what TK is saying, believe me I want the BEST ALL-ROUND player, so I will be looking JUST as hard at cash and SNG results as MTTs.

In my eyes, the TOTAL PLAYER can handle himself heads-up, short-handed, cash, MTT, SNG, Turbo, Deep Stack, etc etc, so please don't think you have to stick to one style to impress us!

Good luck!

Matt B
  • edited December 2009
    TKO Poker
    Dreams Come True Poker
    Hook the Big One
    Fishing For Sharks
  • edited December 2009
    well what a prize! Only just seen this thanks to Goodylad. Just hope whoever wins does the site proud in the tournaments. Good luck to everyone.
  • edited December 2009

Hey guys, love the show, watch it all the time; well actually as long as it doesn’t interfere with ‘Strictly Come Dancing’.

Been on the site for a while, been away, and seen what the world has to offer (pokering wise) and come back home. I think it’s a really good idea but just remember there are some really good players on 4p8p who only play there because their wives would kill them if they played any higher and lost!!!

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : Good read! If I had a Vote - & I probably don't - I'd want to select a Player who could not only play well, but who played within their bankroll, did not tilt, & had scope to improve. So, if we applied those criteria to Rich Orford, just for example, he'd only gets one tick - "scope to improve"......;)
    Posted by Tikay10

hhhmmm, i tick all those boxes ;) ...... well nearly all ..... last one maybe a problem :( lol looking forward to this ;)
  • edited December 2009
    I played as the telephone home player last night in the Primo, Folded K Q with a flop K Q 4 Turn J, guy went all in and i FOLDED 2 pair?? Folded I tell you.....

Turns out when the table was shown on the TV he had the Str8,,   I must have a 6th sense or summin like that.

ED thought it was a massive lay down and put my name in the box to watch out for oooooo lol

Oh ended up in 90th place after having pocket QQ, I raised guy went all in with A Q and yep hit his Ace

Shanker1974
  • edited December 2009
    give me just one shot at the big time and i will explode...literally

i love poker but i can't afford to play big money games, usually i enter small cash tournaments for 2-3 pounds and i started off with 10 pounds and now got just under 100.

to infinity and beyond.

p.s. loving the new format.
  • edited December 2009

On the show they said they would pick the best players at each levels for cash, mmt's and sit and go's.
    Once they have the best players from low/mid/high cash for example, how are they going to prove who is the best? (Its alot easier to beat nl10 and a complete differently strategy than nl200)

Brilliant prize by sky and hopefully they find the best player to represent sky.....not me lol ;-)
  • edited December 2009
    OK  I think iv got this right but correct me if im wrong. Sky staff shortlist the 50 players from all types of formats on the site as this would be impossible for the montors to do themselves. Then the mentors pick 2 lots of 3 each, making 18 finalists. Will the shortlisted 50 be made public or just the top 18?

Thanks

Flash
  • edited December 2009
    another tournament win ;)
  • edited December 2009
    The top 50 will be produced every week for the Mentors.  10 or so of those will be pre-selected and called by one of the production staff, prior to the Mentor finalising their chosen players ahead of each show.  The only players who will be made public are the final Mentor choices. 
  • edited December 2009
    Hats off to the big wigs at sky this is an excellent idea. Hopefully it can improve the players all round, would love to see Sky guys clean up at the WSOP. All good as long as there are still a few juicy fish out there!
  • edited December 2009

Well done Sky! This is a huge leap forwards in my book, gosh it's going to be a hard decision! There are alot of good players here and I'll wager lots who have looked at various levels of tutoring and/or tweaking their game and looked at a few of the training sites and seen the cost (me included) so for someone this will be Xmas/birthday and then some! 

I'm sure that the winner will have fantastic support from the community, and I hope there will be a few short programmes showing the winners path and also a look at some of the skills that have been tuned for those who miss out and would like to improve their game too?
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : LOL. There's always one sharp knife in the drawer... ;)
    Posted by MBroughton
    Hi is Sharkscope.com a good indicator of how good your doing or not? Thanks
  • edited December 2009
    Hi, im new to sky poker but my boyfriend (major1962) has been teaching me as i play on here.
    I finished 2nd in the open on sat night and have had another final table in the past couple of weeks.
    My problem is, as major has been teaching me, he hasnt had a look in on tournys since i started.
    Thats a little unfair as he has had 4 final tables in the 4 weeks before but they wont be looked at will they?
    Any advice,? as i wouldnt want him to miss out on a possible mentoring tuition.

If i have this thread totally correct, please comment.

P.S. Ed giidings, you commented on my play in the final table on saturday, its quite difficult being shown how to play and why, in the time allowed to make a decision, so the final "all in" was premeditated if a low card came on the turn as Major thought the other player was holding 2 middle cards and i had been rivered on three hands previous.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : Hi is Sharkscope.com a good indicator of how good your doing or not? Thanks
    Posted by lyonsbob06
     For general corrolation yes. It will show you in terms of MTT and STT if your a winning or losing poker player. It doesnt record cash so if you play that its no good. However it doesn't inclue tournaments you satelite into i.e the open. So if you satelite in and get a big cash it wont show.
  • edited December 2009
    Turned my dismal £5 into my current £55 in last few days, pretty pleased with myself =)
  • edited December 2009
    just a few quickies...

when does the search end? (how many weeks do we have to impress) 

If still searching well into january, will newcastle help anyone playing there get noticed?

personally I think there should be some sort of a feature table thats televisied.. hands revealed.. would make for an interesting program and viewing ... mentors get to analyse some live play too which is the format of the actual prize... also spices the event up a bit more :D
  • edited December 2009
    the peoples poker
    peoples poker
  • edited December 2009

I will get up to date on answering these questions this afternoon.
  • edited December 2009

One point that everyone should take note of should you hope to take part in TOTAL PLAYER:

YOU MUST BE CONTACTABLE!  ;-D

This means that not only must you ensure that you haven't ticked the "No contact" box, but that your details are up to date!
    You would be surprised at how often telephone numbers are either incorrect or out of service when contacting people to be phone guests.

OK, best of luck folks!

• edited December 2009
    just a few quickies... when does the search end? (how many weeks do we have to impress)  If still searching well into january, will newcastle help anyone playing there get noticed? personally I think there should be some sort of a feature table thats televisied.. hands revealed.. would make for an interesting program and viewing ... mentors get to analyse some live play too which is the format of the actual prize... also spices the event up a bit more :D
    Posted by cummins
    1) The initial search starts - started - this week, & goes on for 6 weeks (and thus will be covered in 6 Shows). From that list, a reduced "field" will go forward to Boot-Camp. It's anticipated that as many as half of the candidates will fail at the Boot-Camp stage & so futher names may well be added to the list.

2) You should ignore player performance at Newcastle SPT, as the nominees will be chosen by the criteria outlined earlier, which is, simply, based on Online performance on Sky Poker.

Good Luck Diesel Engine!