You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD

Comments

• edited December 2009
    great idea sky,there are lots of good players on sky it will be tough to get into top 50.will try my best,good luck to all 
  • edited December 2009

So, tonight - Saturday 19th December - is the first "real" Episode of Total Player. Last week was, well, the "explainer", but tonight, the search for Total Player begins.

Ed has whittled down 50 players to a long-short-list of TEN, & those Ten names will be revealed.

And then - tonight - that List will be reduced to just THREE.

Those three will be the first picks in the search for Total Player.

That's not to say they will survive until the end - Ed may drop one or more later - but they are at least in the mix.

Tonight, 10pm, Channel 865.
  • edited December 2009

Next week, & the week after, it will be the turn of Matt, & David, to do the same thing.

Then, on the next threee weeks, it will be rinse-repeat.

After that, the fun really begins.

Vegas Baby? It will be for someone!
  • edited December 2009

Wow,
    Just stumbled on this. Good luck to those in the running. Haven't played enough cash to pass significant comment on those players, but there are definitely a few on here capable of playing much higher:

Kegsy 100: Best player I've come up against on this site, incredibly comfortable playing through the streets, and reads retarded (my) level 1 river bluffs with ease. Could easily beat 2.5/5 cash and $500 sng imo.

Nutter: H/U SNG have a clear heirachy, as unilke cash bumhunters you can't just quit when someone sits. Thus when he sits at highest levels (on this site) and few play that tells you all you need to know. Technically incredibly sound, and makes very few mistakes. POT CONTROL THAT DRIVES YOU (me) MAD.

I'd give honourable mentions to Tank (excellent mtt and sng LAG) and Glitterbabe (Nutter mentions in another thread, they are similar and he's bang on. Few mistakes etc etc)

Talk of giving the honour to someone playing micros is a joke. The £150-£250 mtt's on here are probably the easiest games in the world to return a high ROI. And DYM's are a game for vegetables full stop. Players like Nutter and Glitterbabe could beat low stakes games on here to levels that are unseen, and if they did, people would be going: ''OMG there's this amazing low stakes player''  But their time (and other good players) is better served elsewhere.

Good Luck all in the hunt

• edited December 2009
    hi all

as a purely mtt player on sky and a fairly succesful one did i hear correctly ed say that you have to play a min of 7 mtts a week to qualify?

this isnt easy to commit to for every player

thanks
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD:
    hi all as a purely mtt player on sky and a fairly succesful one did i hear correctly ed say that you have to play a min of 7 mtts a week to qualify? this isnt easy to commit to for every player thanks
    Posted by barnsie
    No and its a busy week for many with xmas coming .
    I'm disapointed with TP now noone was told about the seven mtts .
    Its an absolute con job this.

The players were picked before the week started.

My a££e on you skypoker

As for you giddins take a look at your own play you sucked it last night.
  • edited December 2009
    would be good to get some clarifification on this please
  • edited December 2009
    53, tikay? 53 my a**e!!

More like 153!! ;-)

Gonna play more and hopefully catch a mentor's eye over the next few weeks!
  • edited December 2009
    thanks for answering tikay

guess it wont be me then as not enough tourneys on here for me at my stakes good luck to everybody

penguin is in my opinion the best mtt player on here, he outplayed me 3 way last week and i dont feel i get outplayed on here that often

all the best
  • edited December 2009
    How do you get in the top 50 players who are on the shortlist for the mentors to look at?

you say its the top 10 mtt players or 10 ten low stakes cash (is that top ten in the money earnt)

thanks
  • edited December 2009
    Penguin played the hand terribly!!!!! No?
  • edited December 2009
    played it perfectly myself

of course does help when opponent hits river like that

he is a fine player though and his mtt record speaks volumes and he is a gent
  • edited December 2009
    I dont know how I have a chance of getting picked! My strengths are sngs and mtts but with work and family, theres no way Im gonna be able to play the amount that a lot of these guys are playing.  How are players like me going to have a chance of getting noticed with this criteria?

Sorry to moan guys.
  • edited December 2009
    Amusing show. Funniest thing was that LOLUFOLD was too balla to reveal his real name on tv. Dan, obviously a good pick, and Penguin is decent player too, but you could train a goldfish to beat up SKY mtt's. So Dan slots in at ante-post fav.9/4. 7 barrrrrrr.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : No and its a busy week for many with xmas coming . I'm disapointed with TP now noone was told about the seven mtts . Its an absolute con job this. The players were picked before the week started. My a££e on you skypoker As for you giddins take a look at your own play you sucked it last night.
    Posted by acetenolol
    I'm disappointed that you feel this way, but can I stress that it is important for everyone to read the terms and conditions so that you understand exactly what you are entering into; and to be fair, they are some of the most readable terms I've seen in a long time.

Obviously we do our best to highlight all the grey areas, but the onus is upon you to take responsibility. Furthermore, by making yourself aware, you can generally find the best way to optimise your chances of making the top 50 - so it can only be beneficial.

Regards

Aisling
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : I'm disappointed that you feel this way, but can I stress that it is important for everyone to read the terms and conditions so that you understand exactly what you are entering into; and to be fair, they are some of the most readable terms I've seen in a long time. Obviously we do our best to highlight all the grey areas, but the onus is upon you to take responsibility. Furthermore, by making yourself aware, you can generally find the best way to optimise your chances of making the top 50 - so it can only be beneficial. Regards Aisling
    Posted by Sky_Ling
    What for to read the terms and where is the link?

The outcome was predetermined anyway imo

We can see a fix when its in front of our eyes.

My chances are non existant because it is just all the usual sky toadys who rail the presenters

The clique that is so apparent after very little viewing can only be damaging to sky poker as a whole

• edited December 2009

It's a great promotion and nobody from SKY should have to come on here and defend it. If DAN-TB-, Nutter, Kegsy, Glitterbabe, Will Brewin etc etc wins it then that's great as SKY have someone who can represent them well in bigger tourny's. If some office worker NIT from £5 DYM's flukes it then it becomes a joke. But hopefully I can't imagine that happening.

• edited December 2009
    lets just hope that lots of lower volume players are not risking/spending more money than they can afford in trying to catch the eye in this "competition",that would be a sorry thing to see but i bet it's happening.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : What for to read the terms and where is the link? The outcome was predetermined anyway imo We can see a fix when its in front of our eyes. My chances are non existant because it is just all the usual sky toadys who rail the presenters The clique that is so apparent after very little viewing can only be damaging to sky poker as a whole
    Posted by acetenolol
    here they are

Total Player Terms

Sky Poker’s Total Player promotion (the “Promotion” is subject to the following terms and conditions. 

Rules and terms and conditions

1. The player selection period (the “Selection Period”) will run between 12 December 2009 to 13 February 2010. For each week of the Selection Period (and each week will run from Thursday until Wednesday, 50 players will be short-listed by Sky Poker for consideration and entry into the next stage of the Promotion. Sky Poker will use the following criteria for selection (the “Selection Criteria”) (real money play only is eligible for consideration):

a. Top 10 Cash players at low blind level (2p/4p to 15p/30p);
    b. Top 10 Cash players at medium blind level (20p/40p to 50p/£1);
    c. Top 10 Cash players at high blind level (£1/£2 and above);
    d. Top 10 Single Table Tournament players (Sit ‘n’ Go); and
    e. Top 10 Multi Table Tournament players.

2. The top 10 players in each section will be determined as those with the highest total profit  in that week, within that level of play.

3. In order to be considered players must play at least 10 separate sessions at the same level of play in the week.

4. Each week is a ‘clean slate’ i.e. if a player does not meet the Selection Criteria in a given week, he or she could still eligible in future weeks.

5. Sky Poker will analyse the play of the players in each of these sections and will pick two in each group to be pre-selected for consideration for the next stage of the promotion which is selection by a “mentor” for that mentor’s team (mentors are presenters and analysts appearing on the Sky Poker Channel).

6. In order to be considered, players must be contactable for marketing purposes and have a contact telephone number on their account. Pre-selected players will be contacted after each week of the Selection Period between Friday and Saturday.

7. Pre-selected players will be required to provide identification details (hand ids) for 5 hands that they feel best demonstrate their level of skill.  The player’s hand histories must be provided before midnight on the Monday following their pre-selection.

8. Pre-selected players will be considered for selection based on a number of factors, including but not limited to their weekly playing performance and individual player traits.  Mentors will announce the names of their selected players live on the Total Player television programme during the Selection Period.

9. Players who are not selected by Sky Poker at this stage may still be eligible for future weeks if they meet the Selection Criteria in subsequent weeks during the Selection Period.

10. Analysis by both Sky Poker and the mentors will include on air consideration of the hand history of all players participating in a competition and not just those under consideration for the Promotion.

11. If the players selected cannot be contacted or do not answer phone calls (no messages will be left), we will move to the next ranked player. This may be repeated if more than one player cannot be contacted.

12. All players selected for the later rounds of the Promotion will be required to sign clearance forms in connection with appearances on the Sky Poker television channel.

13. Sky Poker’s decision in relation to the selection of participants for the Promotion will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.

14. The Promotion is only open to residents of the UK aged 18 and over and to players who have registered and opened accounts with Sky Poker.

15. The Promotion is not open to employees or agencies of Sky Poker, their family members or anyone else connected to the Promotion.

16. The winner(s) of the Competition will receive an entry to a Sky Poker Tour event up to a value of £100, an entry to a professional scale event up to a value of £1,000 and an entry to the main event of the 2010 World Series of Poker in Las Vegas up to a value of  $10,000.  Reasonable hotel and travel expenses will also be provided..

17. The winner will be announced on [Saturday 6 March 2010].

18. The winner will be selected following an online vote where each Sky Poker player will be eligible to cast one vote.

19. The prizes are non-exchangeable, non-transferable, and are not redeemable for cash or other prizes. Sky Poker accepts no responsibility for any costs associated with the prize and not specifically included in the prize, including, without limitation, meals, living expenses, insurance and transfers.

20. Sky Poker retains the right to substitute the prize with another prize of similar value in the event the original prize offered is not available due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control.

21. For all prizes that include any form of travel, the winner  must have a valid passport and carry all necessary documents (including visas, if necessary). The winners of this prize will be expected to organise their own travel to any departure destination and will be responsible for all additional costs and expenses associated with using this prize including travel to and from the airport, transfers, meals, hotel mini bar and/or phone calls, travel insurance, loss of usage. We suggest that the winner should arrange suitable travel insurance to cover the trip.

22. Participation in the Promotion constitutes permission for Sky Poker and/or their associated, affiliated and subsidiary companies to use the names and photographs of participants for publishing purposes at its discretion. All winners may be required to participate in such publicity as Sky Poker reasonably requires.

23. Sky accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by you as a result of participating in the Promotion or accepting the prize. Sky Poker further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to your or any other person's computer relating to or resulting from participation in or downloading any materials in connection with the promotion. Nothing shall exclude the liability of Sky Poker for death or personal injury as a result of its negligence.

24. Sky Poker reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, this Promotion with or without prior notice due to reasons outside its control.

25. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions proves to be illegal or unenforceable, this shall not prevent the remaining provisions continuing in full force and effect.

26. Sky Poker may rely upon and enforce these Terms and Conditions.

27. The promotion will be governed by the law of England and Wales and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.

• edited December 2009
    This is a promotion like any other. The aim is to get as many people as possible playing more mtt's, cash and sng's than they normally would do.
    The 7 mtt's was to be expected, i don't know the rules for cash and sng's but I would think they would require a minimum amount of play to qualify.

Do I think it's fair? I don't know, I'll let the regulars decide that. I don't think it's any different to any other promotion out there though.
    Why do sites offer new players a cash bonus to join the site? To get them on and get them playing . What's the difference?

I think one spot where sky has messed up though is naming the 3 players that have made it onto Ed's team. Ed pretty much said that he wasn't gonna change his choices so once the other two mentors have got their 3, there won't be any point in people playing 7 mtt's a week

If sky was really on the ball they would have dragged the selection process out for a few months.
  • edited December 2009
    "competition" I note is in quotes as the word competition suggests everyone has an equal chance of winning which clearly is not the case.

I'm done wasting my time pointing out the obvious now I'm also done with this pathetic promotion.

I'll concentrate on other sites whilst this farce ensues.
  • edited December 2009
    "competition" I note is in quotes as the word competition suggests everyone has an equal chance of winning which clearly is not the case. I'm done wasting my time pointing out the obvious now I'm also done with this pathetic promotion. I'll concentrate on other sites whilst this farce ensues.
    Posted by acetenolol
    yep,the quotes were intentional for sure,this "competition" is aimed squarely at high volume/higher stakes players,everyone does not have an equal chance because  a- low limit players will not meet the requirements of "you must play against the best to be able to gauge your abilities"  b-low volume players will simply not be able to put in the hours if they are following good brm, and anyone who tries to "flee" a and b is abandoning their brm which is a bad thing,this is purely for high volume/high stakes players and everyone else should just stick to their good brm and simply ignore it.
  • edited December 2009

Just finished back-to-back Live Shows (with rehearsal before) & two Shows yesterday, & I gotta be up early in the morning to drive down to Wales & get back to London in time to play as a Bounty on Sunday evening.

So, I won't take the questions now, but if they have not been answered by the time I am back Online, I'll take them then. I'm not going to reply to insulting Posts though, sorry, if you want a reasonable reply, the question has to be reasonably phrased. That apart, I will answer any or all questions.

A couple of things I'd just say - the selection process IS over something like 2 to 3 months, that's 6 weeks of "first picks", then whittled down, but even at that stage, some players may be dropped & replaced by others.

MTT selection process? It's not possible to judge MTT players on 1 or 2 Tourneys per week - it's just not, that's not hard to explain or justify. It's a huge prize, & on the basis of no pain, no gain, some sacrifice is necessary. Nobody, of course, is forced to try for it.

Someone suggested that Ed had "as good as said" he won't be changing his picks, so the other Mentors will not, either? That's not correct - he may - or may not - change his picks down the line, & I never heard him suggest otherwise.

Remember, the eventual winner will be chosen not by Sky Poker, or the Mentors, but by a vote open to  ALL Sky Poker players.

Oh, & if Rich & I looked a bit at sixes & sevens tonight, that was because we'd only been shown the "Top Ten" Ed had selected an hour before the Show. And Rich & I never knew who Ed's initial Final Three were until Ed revealed them in the last moments of the Show. Fact.

Night all, & have a good weekend.
  • edited December 2009
    lets just hope that lots of lower volume players are not risking/spending more money than they can afford in trying to catch the eye in this "competition",that would be a sorry thing to see but i bet it's happening.
    Posted by LONGPLAY

Well said! As someone who hit the credit cards and played well out of their bankroll when they first started playing, I would advise people not to do the same.
  • edited December 2009
    Just finished back-to-back Live Shows (with rehearsal before) & two Shows yesterday, & I gotta be up early in the morning to drive down to Wales & get back to London in time to play as a Bounty on Sunday evening. So, I won't take the questions now, but if they have not been answered by the time I am back Online, I'll take them then. I'm not going to reply to insulting Posts though, sorry, if you want a reasonable reply, the question has to be reasonably phrased. That apart, I will answer any or all questions. A couple of things I'd just say - the selection process IS over something like 2 to 3 months, that's 6 weeks of "first picks", then whittled down, but even at that stage, some players may be dropped & replaced by others. MTT selection process? It's not possible to judge MTT players on 1 or 2 Tourneys per week - it's just not, that's not hard to explain or justify. It's a huge prize, & on the basis of no pain, no gain, some sacrifice is necessary. Nobody, of course, is forced to try for it. Someone suggested that Ed had "as good as said" he won't be changing his picks, so the other Mentors will not, either? That's not correct - he may - or may not - change his picks down the line, & I never heard him suggest otherwise. Remember, the eventual winner will be chosen not by Sky Poker, or the Mentors, but by a vote open to  ALL Sky Poker players. Oh, & if Rich & I looked a bit at sixes & sevens tonight, that was because we'd only been shown the "Top Ten" Ed had selected an hour before the Show. And Rich & I never knew who Ed's initial Final Three were until Ed revealed them in the last moments of the Show. Fact. Night all, & have a good weekend.
    Posted by Tikay10
    The programme itself is an insult to the intelligence of the viewers.

An embarrassment and a farce.

• edited December 2009
    Well first off I'm going to congratulate those players who bagged a spot... Well done Penguin7, Cottlad and DanTB10!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO there's quite a few sour grapes flying around at the moment - under the guise of "they're conning you"....

Please.... The Ts and Cs were there for all of us - and for those of you who say - oh but it's only for the big volume -only the pros will win blah blah blah - how many pros do you know that grind at 15/30 level!

I'm beginning to wonder if some of you are badmouthing the comp cos you don't want the competition! - But then again - that might be stretching it - area 51 and all that.... ;-)

All i can say is OBVIOUSLY everyone play within your roll - but come on lets make this comp fun -I for one will be railing whoever gets in - and having fun on the tables myself. So  GL all of you --unless of course you hit that river against me cos then  online is rigged obv! LMAO
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for the post virus!!!

I am sooo excited and grateful to have been chosen, and will be trying my upmost to improve my game with the help of the mentor.

Although i play regularly, i could never afford to buy into the tourney this competition offers, and more importantly the experience of it all will be second to none.

Thanks for your support, thats what its all about.
  • edited December 2009
    I'm with Virus on this.  Frankly it's up to each individual to play within their means.  Temptations are everywhere to play outside our rolls or means.  You can just as easily play a high roller table, hit Sky Vegas or walk down the bookies.  They want this to be a legitimate competition so they will be looking for high volume players.  If you're a low volume player then you'll have to play either master cash or all of the televisied tournies and to very well at whichever you choose.  Sky want a real contender for the tournies they have lned up for the winner so this process is totally understandable.

Congrats to those nominated for the ten and the three who got in, you all played very well.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: OFFICIAL TOTAL PLAYER THREAD : The programme itself is an insult to the intelligence of the viewers. An embarrassment and a farce.
    Posted by acetenolol
    Gotta say AceTen, the only thing I'm finding insulting right now are the disparaging remarks that you're throwing around casually about a programme that a huge team have worked tirelessly on over the last few weeks.

I'm not happy with your careless reply to Tikay's (very reasonable) post at all.

I would launch into a vigorous defence of the show and it's integrity- as I know for a fact it's completely above board- but I suspect it would do little to convince you.

So instead AceTen, I would simply say, make sure in future you know all the facts before firing off on the forum, where everyone associated with the programme and promotion can see it.

Reasonably worded questions or requests for clarification are fine. Constructive criticism is fine.

But bandying around wild accusations without a shred of evidence and badmouthing the Sky Poker players and TV crew does you no credit, I'm afraid.

Hopefully, you'll have calmed down by tomorrow and we can all move on.

• edited December 2009
    "competition" I note is in quotes
    Posted by acetenolol
    I must be missing it somewhere! I've read through the Ts & Cs on three occasions now and I can't see the word competition in quote marks anywhere! I'm sure you can't be wrong because you're obviously right about everything so please could you point that out for me?

Much appreciated!

Oh yes, and while I'm wasting my time replying, can I just say that your comments leave a lot to be desired! You seem to be very upset about it but I really can't see why! It's an amazing opportunity for someone to "live the life" but, as with everything in life, it's not going to be handed to you on a plate! More fool you if you thought that was going to happen! I can only summise that you "think" that you're incredibly good but aren't meeting the selection criteria? So that can mean only one thing - sour grapes!
    That is all.