You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Build A Bankroll Thread

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
Santa - you're two weeks late.

All I want for Christmas is valueeeeeeeee.

But seriously Mr Orford.  I am seriously looking forward to seeing where this goes.  I have heard nothing but rumours.  Time for your moment in the sun!  Gl sir.  I will endeavour to play/rail if/when I can.  

Will have a ponder over a challenge to set myself too.

Comments

• edited July 2014

Happy New Year everyone.

Hope it’s been good to you so far, especially on Sky Poker.

I’ve been on the site a bit recently and doing pretty good. :-)

In the last two MTTs I entered I took down around £400 on the bubble in a UKOPS High Roller satellite and then finished 1st/40 in the 2.20 daily deepstack. Oo, get me.

But it’s been a while since I frequented the cash tables, and it’s definitely been a while since I did a bankroll challenge. (And if you want the whole sorry story of my previous efforts take a look at my blog here)

A new year is always a good time to start something up, so I reckon it's time to...

BUILD A BANKROLL!

Here’s my plan. I’m going to play, once a week to start with, usually midweek and I’m going to begin on the cash tables.

I’m going to start with a £100 of my own money on two 5p/10p tables and when (please note I’m not entertaining the word ‘if’) I hit £200 I’ll move up to 10p/20p.

If I lose my initial £100 I’ll simply start again. I'm rather hoping that this won't happen though.

No overall end target yet for the year, but I’ll play that by ear and revise it as we go along. And of course, I’ll post all my trial and tribulations along the way on this thread.

So, firstly- if you’d like to play against me or come and say hello my alias is ‘ricorford.’ Use the Find a Player function to locate me. I'll let you know on here when I'm next on the site.

Secondly, how about setting your own challenge? It doesn’t have to be something ridiculously ambitious. What about turning a fiver into a tenner, or a tenner into twenty quid on the 2p/4p tables? No matter how big or small post them on here and keep us all updated as to how it’s going.

I’m hoping to have spot prizes to hand out every week for the 3 players who over the previous 7 days on this thread embraced the bankroll challenge the best.  Watch this space.

Meanwhile, best of luck to you. I’m going in!

• edited January 2014
    10 buy ins?? shocking bankroll management :-), good luck though
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014:
    Santa - you're two weeks late. All I want for Christmas is valueeeeeeeee. But seriously Mr Orford.  I am seriously looking forward to seeing where this goes.  I have heard nothing but rumours.  Time for your moment in the sun!  Gl sir.  I will endeavour to play/rail if/when I can.   Will have a ponder over a challenge to set myself too.
    Posted by gazza127
    Thankyou Gazza. I aim to quash once and for all these terrible and pernicious rumours that I am now a half-decent player.

I look forward therefore to donating to your holiday savings at the earliest opportunity.

And yeah, I'd appreciate if you could join me with a little challenge for yourself.

:-)
  • edited January 2014
    I have nothing better to do tonight, other than take down the Main Event, so count me in.
  • edited January 2014
    10 buy ins?? shocking bankroll management :-), good luck though
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Lol! I'm trying to being sensible by resisting the temptation to stick the lot on a 50p/£1 game, but still looking to cut corners by ignoring the fact that I should probably be on the 2p/4p tables!

I might wait until I hit £400 though before moving up to 10p/20p.

Anyone have any thoughts with my £100, if I'm playing two tables at a time, as to what level I should play at and at what point I should move up?

• edited January 2014
    I have nothing better to do tonight, other than take down the Main Event, so count me in.
    Posted by Slipwater

Thanks for your donation, Brian.  I mean, thanks for joining me at the tables later.
  • edited January 2014
    GL Sir , i'm sure you will smash this. 

Moving up at £200 will be fine while only 2 tabling.

• edited January 2014
    Very good luck with this.  I would join you on the cash tables but I'm trying to stick to my BRM this year and I think there may be a queue of people wanting to take your money, I mean boost your bankroll :).

Best of luck at the tables and remember, to take down a Goliath at the tables all it takes is a David.  Just ask Man United :)
  • edited January 2014
    Serious grinders would be looking at 80+ buy ins...so you by those standards you should be playing nl1...0.05p and 0.1p blinds. hehe.

that isnt fun or aggressive enough for recreational players though...imagine having 1k in your account and only being able to play NL10. BORING!

I would say, for someone who wants to cut corners and build quickly, roughly what you have suggested sounds fine. 10 buy ins at the start, and then gradually increase the buy ins when you move up, such that if you were to reach NL200 say, you would have a "proper" BR

of course, thats all much a do about nothing...you will have to get past NL10 to start worrying about any of that. 

I have a BR challenge for you...win more than TK this yr...
  • edited January 2014
    Anyone have any thoughts with my £100, if I'm playing two tables at a time, as to what level I should play at and at what point I should move up?

Put £50 on black and £50 on red......same table.......sit down at 1st......stand up if you win and high five your imaginary friend......

OH.....BTW......GL mate!  

• edited January 2014
    GL Sir , i'm sure you will smash this.  Moving up at £200 will be fine while only 2 tabling.
    Posted by 1267
    Thx 1267. If I don't smash it, I certainly intend to lightly tap it.
  • edited January 2014
    GL rich hope you succeed with this, my br wont allow me to play your stakes but will defo be railing
  • edited January 2014
    Very good luck with this.  I would join you on the cash tables but I'm trying to stick to my BRM this year and I think there may be a queue of people wanting to take your money, I mean boost your bankroll :). Best of luck at the tables and remember, to take down a Goliath at the tables all it takes is a David.  Just ask Man United :)
    Posted by cenachav
    Ty Mark. 

Just out of interest, what's the rules of your BRM this year?

Oh, and re- your amusing Man U gag, here's mine...

Warning: be careful if you're driving past Old Trafford this week. A lot of people have picked up 3 points there recently.
  • edited January 2014
    Serious grinders would be looking at 80+ buy ins...so you by those standards you should be playing nl1...0.05p and 0.1p blinds. hehe. that isnt fun or aggressive enough for recreational players though...imagine having 1k in your account and only being able to play NL10. BORING! I would say, for someone who wants to cut corners and build quickly, roughly what you have suggested sounds fine. 10 buy ins at the start, and then gradually increase the buy ins when you move up, such that if you were to reach NL200 say, you would have a "proper" BR of course, thats all much a do about nothing...you will have to get past NL10 to start worrying about any of that.  I have a BR challenge for you...win more than TK this yr...
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Good post, chicknMelt. Yeah, it's finding the right balance isn't it? 

So, what d'ya reckon...?

£100-  2 x 5p/10p tables-  move up when/if(!) I hit £200, £300, or £400?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  • edited January 2014
    Anyone have any thoughts with my £100, if I'm playing two tables at a time, as to what level I should play at and at what point I should move up? Put £50 on black and £50 on red......same table.......sit down at 1st......stand up if you win and high five your imaginary friend...... OH.....BTW......GL mate!   ☺
    Posted by MAXALLY

Very good, Alan. You seem to have missed the most likely outcome of that 'foolproof' scheme...knowing my luck, it will come in 0 Green and I'll lose the lot in one go. 

Ty though. Please feel free to add to my coffers anytime you like. I'm sure you'll be looking for revenge as I have a vague recollection of knocking you out a tournament last time we clashed on the tables... ;-)
  • edited January 2014
    Fantastic idea this from sky to build up the traffic on the cash tables :)

Good luck mate
  • edited January 2014
    GL rich hope you succeed with this, my br wont allow me to play your stakes but will defo be railing
    Posted by poshcole
    Thx Poshcole. I'm beginning to worry I'm being a little too ambitious and should be on the 2p/4p tables, even with £100. 

If it it doesn't work out and I have to deposit again, then I might bump into you there if that's where you're playing.
  • edited January 2014
    Fantastic idea this from sky to build up the traffic on the cash tables :) Good luck mate
    Posted by Diminuendo

Ha! Now that I think of it, it was Tikay's idea.

He might look it, but he's not a stupid man, is he?
  • edited January 2014
    I assume you'll be playing the Mastercash tables?
  • edited January 2014
    Here's the link to my bankroll thingie

I'm just taking it easy on the tables for a few days until the poll results are in.  Having said that, if things go well tonight I may be playing 6 tables at 7.15 lol.  3 of them will be freerolls though :)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014 : Good post, chicknMelt. Yeah, it's finding the right balance isn't it?  So, what d'ya reckon...? £100-  2 x 5p/10p tables-  move up when/if(!) I hit £200, £300, or £400? Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
    Posted by RicOrford
    if it was me, I'd probably stay at 10 buy ins for the second level...after all its not the end of the world if you lose it all and have to reload at that point. IMO, the number of buy ins should reflect the amount of pain you would be in if you lost your whole balance...

10 buy ins - meh. Chips please!
    20 buy ins - oh well...dont tell the missus tho
    30 buy ins - bug.g.er
    40 buy ins - f..uc..k and bugg3r
    50 buy ins - fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!
    60+ buy ins - Cry yourself to sleep

so If i was going to build a BR in this way, I'd do..

Balance -- Level -- buy ins
    £0-£200 -- NL10 -- 0+
    £200-£600 -- NL20 --10+
    £600-£1500 -- NL30 -- 20+
    £1500-£5000 -- NL50 -- 30+
    £5000+ NL100 -- 50+

might be a bit aggressive for some though

• edited January 2014
    Good luck. I think staying at 5/10 is fine but wait until about £300+ before moving up.
  • edited January 2014
    I assume you'll be playing the Mastercash tables?
    Posted by GELDY

Not necessarily, Geldy. There's no plans to show my hands unless my night of playing coincides with a live show. In which case, I'll be on the Mastercash tables and also Skyping into the show.
  • edited January 2014
    Here's the link to my bankroll thingie https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3a13449f26-7d54-4657-bcea-9afe5546a609 I'm just taking it easy on the tables for a few days until the poll results are in.  Having said that, if things go well tonight I may be playing 6 tables at 7.15 lol.  3 of them will be freerolls though :)
    Posted by cenachav
    Interesting. Looks like you'll be playing MTTs if the poll is anything to go by at the moment. I might switch to that myself at a later date.

Anyway, you like MTTs, so it's all good.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014 : Interesting. Looks like you'll be playing MTTs if the poll is anything to go by at the moment. I might switch to that myself at a later date. Anyway, you like MTTs, so it's all good.
    Posted by RicOrford
    I do.  It's the reason I only put one cash option in and no SNG ones this time :)
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck Richard, I always enjoy your humour on TV. I will keep an eye on your progress.

If you fancy a change your very welcome to join us in the omaha dyms! Dont play the hi lo though as tikay is always there!

Ger

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014 : if it was me, I'd probably stay at 10 buy ins for the second level...after all its not the end of the world if you lose it all and have to reload at that point. IMO, the number of buy ins should reflect the amount of pain you would be in if you lost your whole balance... 10 buy ins - meh. Chips please! 20 buy ins - oh well...dont tell the missus tho 30 buy ins - bug.g.er 40 buy ins - f..uc..k and bugg3r 50 buy ins - fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!! 60+ buy ins - Cry yourself to sleep so If i was going to build a BR in this way, I'd do.. Balance -- Level -- buy ins £0-£200 -- NL10 -- 0+ £200-£600 -- NL20 --10+ £600-£1500 -- NL30 -- 20+ £1500-£5000 -- NL50 -- 30+ £5000+ NL100 -- 50+ might be a bit aggressive for some though
    Posted by chicknMelt

Another great post. Love your slightly unorthodox although highly amusing guide to number of buy-ins! Works though and I think I'm at exactly the right level according to it. 
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck mr orford,i may just send some of my charmed luck your way,it has worked for other,s on the forum,:):)xx
  • edited January 2014
    Good luck. I think staying at 5/10 is fine but wait until about £300+ before moving up.
    Posted by CraigSG1

Thanks Craig. Looks like the general consensus then is that 5p/10p is about right and I should move up somewhere around £200-£300.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Build A Bankroll 2014 : I do.  It's the reason I only put one cash option in and no SNG ones this time :)
    Posted by cenachav

So basically you engineered the vote!