You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Insult to poker

edited August 2009 in Poker Chat
I have just played the bounty hunter, which is the showpiece tournament of the evening and what a shambles of a game it is!

3k starting chips, Av stack of now just 12bb after 38mins (as I type) and almost half the field already eliminated.

How is Sky Poker giving its customers value for money with games such as these?

I know that none of your are true poker players but you're getting seriously short changed by the smiling faces that pretend to be your friends on here and on the screen all night.

You only have to look around the internet for a few minutes to find far better value for money games and far better VIP programmes.

I'm sure that this message won't really hit home with most of you, as you know no better having probably used the site since its conception but its flagship tournaments are insulting your collective intelligence and no amount of patronising telephone calls and condascending hand reviews are going to change that!

I challenge the presenters to read this email on air and respond on air to my accusation that the flagship tournaments on this site offer little value for money for giving a true poker experience and allow for any kind of street by street post flop play after level three!

Would the presenters play tournaments with a similar structure using their own money on a regular if they weren't contracted to Sky Poker? I appreciate that there are some time constraints to fit the tournament into the TV schedule but there are ways around that should they want to find them, such as an earlier start time by 1 hour, allowing for more time in the earlier levels and more bang for your buck.

So, Richard and Ed, address this on air, I'd be interested in hearing your justifications for hosting such crapshoot tournaments night in, night out and not giving your players a proper poker experience for their hard earned cash.

The--Don

Barrow in Furness

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Insult to poker:
    I have just played the bounty hunter, which is the showpiece tournament of the evening and what a shambles of a game it is! 3k starting chips, Av stack of now just 12bb after 38mins (as I type) and almost half the field already eliminated. How is Sky Poker giving its customers value for money with games such as these? I know that none of your are true poker players but you're getting seriously short changed by the smiling faces that pretend to be your friends on here and on the screen all night. You only have to look around the internet for a few minutes to find far better value for money games and far better VIP programmes. I'm sure that this message won't really hit home with most of you, as you know no better having probably used the site since its conception but its flagship tournaments are insulting your collective intelligence and no amount of patronising telephone calls and condascending hand reviews are going to change that! I challenge the presenters to read this email on air and respond on air to my accusation that the flagship tournaments on this site offer little value for money for giving a true poker experience and allow for any kind of street by street post flop play after level three! Would the presenters play tournaments with a similar structure using their own money on a regular if they weren't contracted to Sky Poker? I appreciate that there are some time constraints to fit the tournament into the TV schedule but there are ways around that should they want to find them, such as an earlier start time by 1 hour, allowing for more time in the earlier levels and more bang for your buck. So, Richard and Ed, address this on air, I'd be interested in hearing your justifications for hosting such crapshoot tournaments night in, night out and not giving your players a proper poker experience for their hard earned cash. The--Don Barrow in Furness
    Posted by The--Don
    600 runner tourneys that are push or fold after less than an hour... basically bingo and a really poor advert for poker,the tv tourneys need to start at 7pm with a proper structure and be "picked up" live from 9pm onwards.
  • edited July 2009
    If you don't like it, don't play it, is it really that difficult?

It continually attracts 700 players so sky must be doing something right.
  • edited July 2009

Ive got news for you, at least 1 of the presenters/analysts play these tournaments with his own money so your thread is mis-informed.

As kirstii says if you dont like it go somewhee else.

• edited July 2009
    "It continually attracts 700 players so sky must be doing something right"  lol  you really are clueless,put down your sky poker vi....or for a minute and try figuring out how many of these"players" are real.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Insult to poker:
    I have just played the bounty hunter, which is the showpiece tournament of the evening and what a shambles of a game it is! 3k starting chips, Av stack of now just 12bb after 38mins (as I type) and almost half the field already eliminated. How is Sky Poker giving its customers value for money with games such as these? I know that none of your are true poker players but you're getting seriously short changed by the smiling faces that pretend to be your friends on here and on the screen all night. You only have to look around the internet for a few minutes to find far better value for money games and far better VIP programmes. I'm sure that this message won't really hit home with most of you, as you know no better having probably used the site since its conception but its flagship tournaments are insulting your collective intelligence and no amount of patronising telephone calls and condascending hand reviews are going to change that! I challenge the presenters to read this email on air and respond on air to my accusation that the flagship tournaments on this site offer little value for money for giving a true poker experience and allow for any kind of street by street post flop play after level three! Would the presenters play tournaments with a similar structure using their own money on a regular if they weren't contracted to Sky Poker? I appreciate that there are some time constraints to fit the tournament into the TV schedule but there are ways around that should they want to find them, such as an earlier start time by 1 hour, allowing for more time in the earlier levels and more bang for your buck. So, Richard and Ed, address this on air, I'd be interested in hearing your justifications for hosting such crapshoot tournaments night in, night out and not giving your players a proper poker experience for their hard earned cash. The--Don Barrow in Furness
    Posted by The--Don
    Whinge Whinge, play else where if you dont like it imo
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker:
    "It continually attracts 700 players so sky must be doing something right"  lol  you really are clueless,put down your sky poker vi....or for a minute and try figuring out how many of these"players" are real.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    You know how to leave don't you?

Don't let any of us hold you back
  • edited July 2009
    "any of us"  lol     is that your new "family" you are referring to,awww bless.
  • edited July 2009
    Totally agree its a joke. You can't read anyone's game as half the time they are just doing it to win the bounties. I don't like the format with the main tournaments on sky to be honest. I enjoy playing poker on here but I personally can't see the skill when the blinds are going up like every 5 mins and going up to a considerably huge amount each time. It just makes it down to luck in getting good hands at the start otherwise you are just pushing in low stacked after no more than 30 mins to an hour. Then with the bounty hunter you get people just pushing all in from the start due to the bounties. Sorry but to me thats not poker. Don't get me wrong a do like playing on this site but the formats in my eyes makes it more down to luck than ever and it does not suit my game at all
  • edited July 2009
    dam.,you got me there...ive always wanted to be in a group with people like you.

ps.try using your real name,its pretty sad using a girls name to get chatted up online.
  • edited July 2009
    one of the best things ive ever clicked..............ignore kirstii     give it a go
  • edited July 2009
    nobody made you sign up for the Bounty hunter.

theres the £20 deepstack at 7.15 for those who want the longer structure.

or better stil take your moaning over to the other sites.
  • edited July 2009
    nobody made you sign up for the Bounty hunter. theres the £20 deepstack at 7.15 for those who want the longer structure. or better stil take your moaning over to the other sites.
    Posted by NColley
    I am not willing to spend £20 to enter a tournament. Also every time I see that deep stack hardly anyone seems to be playing it so seems pointless
  • edited July 2009
    nobody made you sign up for the Bounty hunter. theres the £20 deepstack at 7.15 for those who want the longer structure. or better stil take your moaning over to the other sites.
    Posted by NColley
    I am not willing to spend £20 to enter a tournament. Also every time I see that deep stack hardly anyone seems to be playing it so seems pointless
  • edited July 2009
    dam.,you got me there...ive always wanted to be in a group with people like you. ps.try using your real name,its pretty sad using a girls name to get chatted up online.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    very mature. I suppose can't think of a sensible retort then resort to insults eh?
  • edited July 2009
    you insult yourself with your gormless ramblings and one trick answers to questions.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    One trick answers? New one to me but ok.

It's as simple as this.

If you don't like the bounty hunters DON'T PLAY THEM!

There are plenty of other things to play, and if you don't like them then don't play poker here.
  • edited July 2009
    Kirstii I am not going to give you any insults at all, just would like to hear your in opinion on the main tournaments on this site? Like I said before I enjoying playing on here but the formats are a joke in my opinion and spoil the enjoyments of playing. Like i said you just find yourself going all in dead early due to no luck with the cards. Thats not poker in my eyes
  • edited July 2009
    the sooner omaha mtts arrive the better....lets see how the bingo loons get on thinking their top 2 is good,very hard to prosper in omaha unless you know what you're doing.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for a reasonable response Mozza i appreciate it.

I can see the point that your making but i believe it offers a bit of variety to the main tournaments. I played in tonights one. Only my second time and i came 14th, i agree to an extent that it can become shove or fold but by playing good sensible poker you can make it to the later stages inspite of the people who treat it like a shovefest. I also think there should be more variety in the main tournaments and if they could find something to replace the bounty hunter which is better then i'd gladly play it.

What do you think they could do instead of the bounty hunter?
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for a reasonable response Mozza i appreciate it. I can see the point that your making but i believe it offers a bit of variety to the main tournaments. I played in tonights one. Only my second time and i came 14th, i agree to an extent that it can become shove or fold but by playing good sensible poker you can make it to the later stages inspite of the people who treat it like a shovefest. I also think there should be more variety in the main tournaments and if they could find something to replace the bounty hunter which is better then i'd gladly play it. What do you think they could do instead of the bounty hunter?
    Posted by kirstii
    Well I play pokerstars as well and thats the site I seem to make quite a lot of money from. I would like to see one of their tournaments used over here. Can be £11 like the Bounty Hunter. I fixed amount of players. With the blinds going up every 15 mins and the blind amounts not going up so much after each 15 mins. This would give players more value for their money and you can see the very good poker players who play the other side of the game than just like you and shove or fold. This is why these tournaments are just not for me as I like to wait for hands then make my move and play a few other hands when I see fit but I just can't do this in these tournaments which is very frustating lol!

By the way did you see you hand review tonight? I was bit annoyed about my two hand reviews as they never said my reasons for doing what I did in both hands which I put in the forum so was made to look like an idiot to be honest who does not have a clue what I am doing when in fact I aint that bad really lol!
  • edited July 2009
    Nah i missed it, got it sky plussed though!! lol

It seems that the tourney you'd most like is the £500 deepstack, have you given it a shot? I agree you get a lot more poker played with 15 min blinds but you have to remember they are only doing a 3 hour show so that speed of blinds wouldn't really be possible. I'm trying to build my bankroll the Chris Ferguson way so if i get to 400 quid i'll try the sleepstack lol
  • edited July 2009
    Nah i missed it, got it sky plussed though!! lol It seems that the tourney you'd most like is the £500 deepstack, have you given it a shot? I agree you get a lot more poker played with 15 min blinds but you have to remember they are only doing a 3 hour show so that speed of blinds wouldn't really be possible. I'm trying to build my bankroll the Chris Ferguson way so if i get to 400 quid i'll try the sleepstack lol
    Posted by kirstii
    I have had a look at the deepstack but there never seems to be anyone playing it so in my eyes makes it seem a bit pointless playing as hardly any people will get paid out when it could go on much longer. I can totally understand why they could not show it on the TV though. Think I am just gonna have to stick to pokerstars and play the odd tournament on here. Made about 200 odd quid playing on pokerstars recently in pretty low buy in's.

By the way what would you advice be playing tournaments like the Bounty Hunter and The Open etc as everytime I play them just bust out early lol?
  • edited July 2009
    ok fair enough you dont want to pay 22 quid, how about the 5.50 one at 8.15?

and yes i used to play at pokerstars, but you play for around 2.5 hours just to make the lower cash, to reach the final table used to take 5-6 hours. Add on an extra hour at that final table its ridiculous and draining.
  • edited July 2009

If the £20 DS is out of your price range, there is another DS at 20:15 it only costs £5:50 to enter and is £300 guaranteed, it gets 50+ people most nights and has a nice atmosphere as it has a lot of the same faces most nights...

• edited July 2009
    Well i just got advice today, stuck to it and it worked, play it like a double your money game to begin with. Forget that it's a bounty hunter and play tight agressive poker, pick your spots against players that you've seen to be weak. Of course to get to the later stages of a 700 seater tourney your going to have to get lucky but i got into the money without ever being all in. And the best hand i saw up till then was KK once (doubled up).

Good luck at the tables Mozza
  • edited July 2009
    I will defo check the £5.50 one out then next time. Might finaly start to win something on this site lol!

Cheers for the advice kirstii, good luck to you too!
  • edited July 2009
    lol at the defensive drones.

I do play elsewhere, I played tonight just for a bit of something different for the first time in months and won't be playing again for a very long time!

I have yet to see anyone make even a reasonable defence against the points I made in my opening post.

The fact remains that in a pure poker sense, Sky Poker regulars get very little value for money and learn practically nothing about post flop play, especially when you consider the way the presenters try their best to be inoffensive to even the dumbest of moves at the tables!

I chuckle to myself when I see Tikay lauding the general level of ability of a Sky Poker player. Face facts, the average Sky Poker player would go broke in no time if they played on a proper site with even average players, the cash games are laughable and if the software was good for serious multitabling, the sharks would soon turn up and gobble up all the dead money on here!

Take the Russian Roulette games as an example that your glorious leader Tikay advertises. Do any of you seriously believe that there is any value in those? They exist purely to take advantage of those that don't know any better and I think it is disgusting that a so called respected poker personality such as Tikay endorses them!

I can see the attraction of the site from a community point of view. The channel makes a good job of making insecure, bad poker players feel welcome and comfortable but ask yourselves why no serious players are regulars on the site and why its growth has slowed down in terms of attracting and retaining new players.

I think you will find that the answer is because the site offers poor value for money to any self respecting poker player.

Sky Poker is a wolf in sheeps clothing and the majority of the regulars are frankly too stupid to notice.

That my dears, is a sad fact.

Never mind though, you'll get an email read out from time to time and get your poor play praised live on TV by an 80's TV has been, so its not all bad.
  • edited July 2009
    lol at the defensive drones. I do play elsewhere, I played tonight just for a bit of something different for the first time in months and won't be playing again for a very long time! I have yet to see anyone make even a reasonable defence against the points I made in my opening post. The fact remains that in a pure poker sense, Sky Poker regulars get very little value for money and learn practically nothing about post flop play, especially when you consider the way the presenters try their best to be inoffensive to even the dumbest of moves at the tables! I chuckle to myself when I see Tikay lauding the general level of ability of a Sky Poker player. Face facts, the average Sky Poker player would go broke in no time if they played on a proper site with even average players, the cash games are laughable and if the software was good for serious multitabling, the sharks would soon turn up and gobble up all the dead money on here! Take the Russian Roulette games as an example that your glorious leader Tikay advertises. Do any of you seriously believe that there is any value in those? They exist purely to take advantage of those that don't know any better and I think it is disgusting that a so called respected poker personality such as Tikay endorses them! I can see the attraction of the site from a community point of view. The channel makes a good job of making insecure, bad poker players feel welcome and comfortable but ask yourselves why no serious players are regulars on the site and why its growth has slowed down in terms of attracting and retaining new players. I think you will find that the answer is because the site offers poor value for money to any self respecting poker player. Sky Poker is a wolf in sheeps clothing and the majority of the regulars are frankly too stupid to notice. That my dears, is a sad fact. Never mind though, you'll get an email read out from time to time and get your poor play praised live on TV by an 80's TV has been, so its not all bad.
    Posted by The--Don
    bye bye
  • edited July 2009
    mozza i got a game on thursday at 7 o clock. 12 min blinds 5k stack 10 seater tables feel free 2 play in it fella sounds like its up ur streat, only 5.50 buy in. 
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : bye bye
    Posted by kirstii

Quality, well thought out reply.

Did you get help to write it, or was it all your own work?
  • edited July 2009
    3 philosophers helped me out, they say bye as well