You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Insult to poker

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker:
    mozza i got a game on thursday at 7 o clock. 12 min blinds 5k stack 10 seater tables feel free 2 play in it fella sounds like its up ur streat, only 5.50 buy in. 
    Posted by mickjenn1
    Cheers m8 if I am not busy thursday night I will defo be up for it.
  • edited July 2009
    3 philosophers helped me out, they say bye as well
    Posted by kirstii
    I think you're trying to be funny there but it really wasn't funny at all.

I hope your poker ability is higher than your messageboard retort ability but I'm guessing it probably isn't.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Insult to poker:
    I have just played the bounty hunter, which is the showpiece tournament of the evening and what a shambles of a game it is! 3k starting chips, Av stack of now just 12bb after 38mins (as I type) and almost half the field already eliminated. How is Sky Poker giving its customers value for money with games such as these? I know that none of your are true poker players but you're getting seriously short changed by the smiling faces that pretend to be your friends on here and on the screen all night. You only have to look around the internet for a few minutes to find far better value for money games and far better VIP programmes. I'm sure that this message won't really hit home with most of you, as you know no better having probably used the site since its conception but its flagship tournaments are insulting your collective intelligence and no amount of patronising telephone calls and condascending hand reviews are going to change that! I challenge the presenters to read this email on air and respond on air to my accusation that the flagship tournaments on this site offer little value for money for giving a true poker experience and allow for any kind of street by street post flop play after level three! Would the presenters play tournaments with a similar structure using their own money on a regular if they weren't contracted to Sky Poker? I appreciate that there are some time constraints to fit the tournament into the TV schedule but there are ways around that should they want to find them, such as an earlier start time by 1 hour, allowing for more time in the earlier levels and more bang for your buck. So, Richard and Ed, address this on air, I'd be interested in hearing your justifications for hosting such crapshoot tournaments night in, night out and not giving your players a proper poker experience for their hard earned cash. The--Don Barrow in Furness
    Posted by The--Don
    Firstly, you only play the games you want to play, if you - like me - don't like the format of the Bounty Hunter tournaments or any other game, don't pay your money to enter it.
    The 9pm TV games have to be quicker simply because they can't have a 5 hour tournament starting at 9 and finishing at 2am, that's too late for people to be playing poker when they could have work in the morning. The simple solution is bigger blind increases or quicker blind increases, this means players will be knocked out faster so the tournament is over by midnight for television purposes. If you don't like this, don't play the TV games, you don't need to.

If you want a longer structure, look no further than the deep stack, you don't get as many entrants but if you are a good player, you will have a much bigger chance of cashing or winning. There is the £500 gtd at 7.15, if you don't want to pay the £22, satellite in for £4.80 by playing the 5pm satellite or even play a £5.50 sit n' go, if you win, use the winning to enter the £500 deep stack.

• edited July 2009
    I'm noticing you still haven't left yet, and humour is a matter of opinion as is which site you like so go play on your favoured ones and leave us "stupid" people to it
  • edited July 2009
    I'm noticing you still haven't left yet, and humour is a matter of opinion as is which site you like so go play on your favoured ones and leave us "stupid" people to it
    Posted by kirstii
    I intend to my love.

I'm just winding down from 10 tabling on Blue Square with real players that respect themselves.

Try it some day, we're always looking for a few new fish to keep the water well stocked :)
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : I intend to my love. I'm just winding down from 10 tabling on Blue Square with real players that respect themselves. Try it some day, we're always looking for a few new fish to keep the water well stocked :)
    Posted by The--Don
    congratulations give him a peanut.
  • edited July 2009
    i think don blew his bankroll and feels the need to vent his frustations on the forum.
  • edited July 2009
    i think ur spot on
  • edited July 2009
    I have just played the bounty hunter, which is the showpiece tournament of the evening and what a shambles of a game it is! 3k starting chips, Av stack of now just 12bb after 38mins (as I type) and almost half the field already eliminated. How is Sky Poker giving its customers value for money with games such as these? I know that none of your are true poker players but you're getting seriously short changed by the smiling faces that pretend to be your friends on here and on the screen all night. You only have to look around the internet for a few minutes to find far better value for money games and far better VIP programmes. I'm sure that this message won't really hit home with most of you, as you know no better having probably used the site since its conception but its flagship tournaments are insulting your collective intelligence and no amount of patronising telephone calls and condascending hand reviews are going to change that! I challenge the presenters to read this email on air and respond on air to my accusation that the flagship tournaments on this site offer little value for money for giving a true poker experience and allow for any kind of street by street post flop play after level three! Would the presenters play tournaments with a similar structure using their own money on a regular if they weren't contracted to Sky Poker? I appreciate that there are some time constraints to fit the tournament into the TV schedule but there are ways around that should they want to find them, such as an earlier start time by 1 hour, allowing for more time in the earlier levels and more bang for your buck. So, Richard and Ed, address this on air, I'd be interested in hearing your justifications for hosting such crapshoot tournaments night in, night out and not giving your players a proper poker experience for their hard earned cash. The--Don Barrow in Furness
    Posted by The--Don
    Hi The Don,

Just got back from the show. Wasn't actually shown this message during the programme by the studio crew. I would guess that this was because (a) they were massively busy tonight with technical issues and all sorts of phone calls to Vegas etc and (b) they wouldn't have seen it anyway, as it wasn't posted in the thread for tonight's show.

So I certainly wasn't avoiding the question- I would have gladly read it out on air and answered it. And of course I will now.

To be honest, I personally prefer the Open to the Bounty Hunter to play in, but I also understand the concept of market forces. The Bounty Hunter constantly sells out. People seem to enjoy playing it. I think if people felt it wasn't providing good value for money they would stop playing it. As I say, it sells out every week.

I think there's something for everyone on the site now-(Omaha is coming)- we've got a great community and it's an enjoyable site to play on. I also think everyone knows what they're getting when they sign up for the 9pm tournament. 3 hours of fun playing with your mates, a chance to be on TV, and the possibility of winning a few grand. All this, usually for £11. The price of a round of drinks.

Sorry you feel on a bit of a downer about The Bounty Hunter, but obviously you're not forced to play it. It's just one of a million tournaments in the world of poker you can play. I would imagine this won't have done much to change your mind, but I hope it at least proves that the presenters are not necessarily just smiling faces who don't give a monkeys. I'm very proud of Sky Poker and have a lot of time for the players, of which, I am one.

Cheers

Rich
  • edited July 2009
    The guy has played a single game according to sharkscope.

At least hes thoroughly tested the site before forming an opinion.

Maybe he has played on the cash tables, I don't know, as that isnt covered by sharkscope.
  • edited July 2009

Rich Orford wrote......

I'm very proud of Sky Poker and have a lot of time for the players, of which, I am one.

I echo those sentiments, I too am a Sky Poker player, in my own time, with my own money, & I just enjoy the banter with the folks on here.

There are hundreds of poker sites to choose from, & we all have the right to choose. Nobody is forced to play here, but if they do, they get looked after, in a multitude of ways.

This is a young site, with a great Community, and it's getting better all the time. There's plenty to do yet, we all know that, but it's kinda nice to grow with it.

To be fair, though, I'm not entirely sure I'd call Richard "a player".
  • edited July 2009
                     I love the bountie hunters being only an averege player and knowing it is very unlikly I will win a tourny, it is great when I take a bounty for me its like a win, Its a good way to start if you are new to poker and I dont expect seasoned players to play this format. 
  • edited July 2009
                     I love the bountie hunters being only an averege player and knowing it is very unlikly I will win a tourny, it is great when I take a bounty for me its like a win, Its a good way to start if you are new to poker and I dont expect seasoned players to play this format. 
    Posted by JONONZIE
    Nice Post Jon, & welcome to the Community.

You've nailed it there - in Bounty Hunters you don't have to Cash to Cash, you can finish well out of the money & still make a profit. So, in effect, they reduce the Tournamnt Player's enemy - Variance.

Not everyone likes Bounty Hunters, but there are hundreds of non Bounty Hunter Tourneys every day, so there's something for everyone.

I hope you keep taking those Bounties.
  • edited July 2009
    Posted by JONONZIE
    Yip, but i was just gutted you took mine!! lol. Seriously though well played, where did you end up finishing?
  • edited July 2009

wd rich for coming on and answering the post and yes i do believe that it would of been read out on air if you knew about it. how on earth can you slate the tournies that have 500-700 every night and most times are full. if you are wining on other sites why are you here moaning? and as other players have said to you dont play them ...sky havnt got a gun to ya head and say you must play these !!

• edited July 2009
    I have yet to see anyone make even a reasonable defence against the points I made in my opening post.
    Posted by The--Don
    Despite the fact that you've had both Rich and Tikay provide you with a reasonable defence (and your muted response suggests that what they've said has hit home) I'll throw in my 2 pennies worth.

Their flagship Tournaments (The Open, The Five-00 and The Bounty Hunter) are structured that way intentionally. It is not structured to make it bad value for money for players as that would be pretty senseless - if all their tournaments are bad value for money then how are they going to get more players on the tables? They are structured that way to make it possible to fit the Tournament into a suitable TV Schedule. In order for the Tournament to finish in time so that the FT can be televised for the end of the programme, it needs to be run in the way it currently is.

You must also understand that SkyPoker was created primarily to give new players to the game a fun platform on which to learn the basics of the game. I started playing on this site soon after it was created, and, quite frankly I was a bad player (mainly because I just started playing). What SkyPoker do with The Open is give new (or bad) players the opportunity to see their hand played out on the TV and learn from the analysts how they could have played their hand differently. This is the main appeal behind these tournaments, because you might get yourself on the TV, but if you don't you're certainly going to learn a lot.

There are many regular players on this site, and I consider myself as one of them. There are a lot of us that, like you, do not like the structure of those Tournaments but rather than moan about we find something else to play on the site. As has been mentioned, there are DeepStacks available, and I believe there is a 10-minute blind structured Tournament that starts on the hour every hour. You are very likely to find decent value in these games without the crapshoot nature of The Open or The Bounty Hunter.
  • edited July 2009
    i like the bh and enjoy playing them.But then agen im not a pro
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : Despite the fact that you've had both Rich and Tikay provide you with a reasonable defence (and your muted response suggests that what they've said has hit home) I'll throw in my 2 pennies worth. Their flagship Tournaments (The Open, The Five-00 and The Bounty Hunter) are structured that way intentionally. It is not structured to make it bad value for money for players as that would be pretty senseless - if all their tournaments are bad value for money then how are they going to get more players on the tables? They are structured that way to make it possible to fit the Tournament into a suitable TV Schedule. In order for the Tournament to finish in time so that the FT can be televised for the end of the programme, it needs to be run in the way it currently is. You must also understand that SkyPoker was created primarily to give new players to the game a fun platform on which to learn the basics of the game. I started playing on this site soon after it was created, and, quite frankly I was a bad player (mainly because I just started playing). What SkyPoker do with The Open is give new (or bad) players the opportunity to see their hand played out on the TV and learn from the analysts how they could have played their hand differently. This is the main appeal behind these tournaments, because you might get yourself on the TV, but if you don't you're certainly going to learn a lot. There are many regular players on this site, and I consider myself as one of them. There are a lot of us that, like you, do not like the structure of those Tournaments but rather than moan about we find something else to play on the site. As has been mentioned, there are DeepStacks available, and I believe there is a 10-minute blind structured Tournament that starts on the hour every hour. You are very likely to find decent value in these games without the crapshoot nature of The Open or The Bounty Hunter.
    Posted by YoungUn
    We're not worthy, we're not worthy.

Great post youngun and i agree 100%
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : Yip, but i was just gutted you took mine!! lol. Seriously though well played, where did you end up finishing?
    Posted by kirstii
    He won it Kirstii! With the added bounties he took down a few quid short of £1000! Well played JonOnzie!
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : He won it Kirstii! With the added bounties he took down a few quid short of £1000! Well played JonOnzie!
    Posted by RichOrford
    Well at least i got beat by the winner then eh? lol
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : Yip, but i was just gutted you took mine!! lol. Seriously though well played, where did you end up finishing?
    Posted by kirstii
    hI kIRSTII
     i ACTUALY WON THE OPEN BUT GOT VERY VERY LUCKY, HAVE BEEN PLACED 17TH 11TH AND 7TH AND NEXT WAS TO MAKE FINAL TABLE BUT WENT ON TO WIN
    JONONZIE
  • edited July 2009
    "any of us"  lol     is that your new "family" you are referring to,awww bless.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    says a guy who hides b hind shades,,,,,, puppy..
  • edited July 2009
    Sky Poker fills a void in the market by offering players the chance to watch their play on tv. The concession for this is having shorter tournaments. Even if sky did what your suggesting there would still be bigger and more estabilshed sites offering the same thing but with bigger prize pools. There's hundreds of pokersites/skins offering the same tournaments, Sky at least offers something different, and a friendly atmosphere in which to enjoy it.

Also shorter structures are better for new players as they have less difficult decisions and level the playing field somewhat so everyeon is in with a more realistic chance of winning. Once the site gets bigger(which sky seem to be doing all they can to acheive) they will be able to cater for more experienced players without forgetting about the new players who are still learning the game.
  • edited July 2009
    hi   surely at the end of the day we all have the choice to play in what tourneys we choose   and at least on sky there are loads of different types to choose from    im not a great fan of the bounty hunters but as a change now and then they are entertaining and a different way of playing     i do agree on one point with thedon and that is the russian roullette games      i just cannot understand the logic of having these games      surely the only benefactor is sky with an almost instant rake     may as well just have a player call heads or tails     obviously they are 100% luck and just dont agree with it personally      i would like to think sky helps players develop and in no way can RR events do this        would quite like a response from some of the presenters if possible (not as employees but as players)    cheers   all the best
  • edited July 2009
    hi   surely at the end of the day we all have the choice to play in what tourneys we choose   and at least on sky there are loads of different types to choose from    im not a great fan of the bounty hunters but as a change now and then they are entertaining and a different way of playing     i do agree on one point with thedon and that is the russian roullette games      i just cannot understand the logic of having these games      surely the only benefactor is sky with an almost instant rake     may as well just have a player call heads or tails     obviously they are 100% luck and just dont agree with it personally      i would like to think sky helps players develop and in no way can RR events do this        would quite like a response from some of the presenters if possible (not as employees but as players)    cheers   all the best
    Posted by bullyfish
    Bullyfish, I agree with you to some extent about the 1 Minute Roulette games. I don't play them for that very reason. It's just a coin-flip- there's no play in it whatsoever, it's not really poker. But I guess they cater for the players out there who just want the thrill of a quick double-up (the equivalent of sticking your money on red or black on the roulette table).

As long as they're not there in place of other tournaments, but running alongside all the other formats, then I don't personally see a problem. Pick your game and play it. Don't like a particular game? Don't play it.

In some ways, I think you answered your own question with the first sentence of your post.

• edited July 2009
    Posted by The--Don
    I am not a great fan of BHs,as i prefer longer structures,but, where do you get off, calling all of us not true poker players.
    I have played on Ladbrokes and Superstars and live, in tournies up to £220 buyins.
    The other two sites i mentioned have some pretty rubbish tourines as well, and given that this site has only been running for a couple of years and their original brief to give newer players a place to learn in a very different way from the big boys, then imo they are doing ok. The real test comes in the next couple of years as the players demand better structures and prizepools.
    I could sum up my feelings to people like in one sentence, but cant get the swear words through, so i'll just say this to you and every other whinging knob, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT BOGOF.
  • edited July 2009

I like the varied tournements on Sky, but think that the Russian Roulette SnGs are just trying to sucker in the gambling addicts and make a quick profit from the buy ins.  If you must continue with them at least withdraw the prime time adverts with Tikay trying to legitimise them.  I have never suspected that there are ringers on the site, as Don intimates but it would be good to get someone from Sky to address this point.  I will continue to play on Sky (unless they kick me off for not supporting everything they do!!) as I do so for the enjoyment and the faint hope that I occasionally break even.  I enjoy playing the deep stack every now and then but don't always have the time to commit to seeing it through, whereas I do have time to enter the 5-00 and get knocked out after 20 minutes ha ha.

XX

SoLack

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : Bullyfish, I agree with you to some extent about the 1 Minute Roulette games. I don't play them for that very reason. It's just a coin-flip- there's no play in it whatsoever, it's not really poker. But I guess they cater for the players out there who just want the thrill of a quick double-up (the equivalent of sticking your money on red or black on the roulette table). As long as they're not there in place of other tournaments, but running alongside all the other formats, then I don't personally see a problem. Pick your game and play it. Don't like a particular game? Don't play it. In some ways, I think you answered your own question with the first sentence of your post.
    Posted by RichOrford
    thanks for coming on and being honest.....appreciated
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : thanks for coming on and being honest.....appreciated
    Posted by bullyfish
    :)
  • edited July 2009
    i  think  the don has illusions  of gradeur  and  just  talks  a good  game