You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Insult to poker

Comments

• edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker:
    i  think  the don has illusions  of gradeur  and  just  talks  a good  game
    Posted by scrumdown
     He must a a toon army fan :-)
  • edited July 2009
    Richard!!!!!

Cynicism!

\\\\\!!/////
         ^  ^
     (   .   .   )
         O
      \__/
  • edited July 2009

I liked Don's swipe at the poor standard of play on Sky Poker.

I don't think any site in the world - WORLD - can match the Sky Poker players strike rate in Vegas.

A young site, on our first Vegas trip, we took 4 players last year. One was the 2nd highest Brit to Cash, in 118th of about 6,800.

We took two players to the $1,500 this year. One was the highest placed Brit by FAR, in 41st out of 2,800+.

We're doing fine, & when I say, on TV, "the standard of play on Sky Poker has improved enormously", I mean it. I don't do porkies, even for Sky Poker.

Better than that though is the player loyalty here. I've had 7 e-Mails & 5 texts this morning, here in Vegas, from regular Sky Poker players back home, asking me to wish Good Luck to Will. And all our Vegas players out here are Railing our players here, all day long.

Each to their own, & if Don is not happy here - & I have a hunch he's not -  well, thems the breaks, & I wish him well wherever he decides to play his poker.

Next case.
  • edited July 2009
    I liked Don's swipe at the poor standard of play on Sky Poker. I don't think any site in the world - WORLD - can match the Sky Poker players strike rate in Vegas. A young site, on our first Vegas trip, we took 4 players last year. One was the 2nd highest Brit to Cash, in 118th of about 6,800. We took two players to the $1,500 this year. One was the highest placed Brit by FAR, in 41st out of 2,800+. We're doing fine, & when I say, on TV, "the standard of play on Sky Poker has improved enormously", I mean it. I don't do porkies, even for Sky Poker. Better than that though is the player loyalty here. I've had 7 e-Mails & 5 texts this morning, here in Vegas, from regular Sky Poker players back home, asking me to wish Good Luck to Will. And all our Vegas players out here are Railing our players here, all day long. Each to their own, & if Don is not happy here - & I have a hunch he's not -  well, thems the breaks, & I wish him well wherever he decides to play his poker. Next case.
    Posted by Tikay10
    LEG END!
  • edited July 2009
    I liked Don's swipe at the poor standard of play on Sky Poker. I don't think any site in the world - WORLD - can match the Sky Poker players strike rate in Vegas. A young site, on our first Vegas trip, we took 4 players last year. One was the 2nd highest Brit to Cash, in 118th of about 6,800. We took two players to the $1,500 this year. One was the highest placed Brit by FAR, in 41st out of 2,800+. We're doing fine, & when I say, on TV, "the standard of play on Sky Poker has improved enormously", I mean it. I don't do porkies, even for Sky Poker. Better than that though is the player loyalty here. I've had 7 e-Mails & 5 texts this morning, here in Vegas, from regular Sky Poker players back home, asking me to wish Good Luck to Will. And all our Vegas players out here are Railing our players here, all day long. Each to their own, & if Don is not happy here - & I have a hunch he's not -  well, thems the breaks, & I wish him well wherever he decides to play his poker. Next case.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Well said Tony
    col
  • edited July 2009
    Don you have made your point and you are certainly entitled to your opinion but there are a variety of games on this site and no one is forcing you or anybody else to play any particular game.I wish you well on whatever site you go to but for the moment i am happy to stay here and it looks like there are plenty of others who feel the same.
  • edited July 2009
    If there are any good points raised then they're negated by the silly personal insults. 80's TV has-been? Someone needs to Stomp on this person!
    By order of The Management.

• edited July 2009
    Something just struck me reading this thread ?

For what it's worth i agree in the main with what 'The-Don' has to say (not all but most) about Bounty Hunter being on at 9 00 as the main event, what i don't understand is WHY NOT play a POT Limit event ???  After all this is an event that's played at the WSOP and i don't see any Bounty Hunter being played there !!

Also,   for these 9 00  main features why not have 'sit and go' entries  constantly running to win a seat ? Why are the satellite's always in the MTT  ?   .. Also on Saturday's there is one satellite at 12.15 and then nothing till 4 00 ?  It appears geared to allow about  30 - 40 to satellite in and the rest have to buy direct ?
     I appreciate the  9 00  tournament has to have  a 3 hour window for the TV show but how hard can it be to put on more satellites in the 'Sit an Go' section and  whats wrong with POT limit Hold em ??

bennydip2
  • edited July 2009
    well said  tikay
  • edited July 2009

I think the original poster has a point, but he's not going to win any awards for diplomacy! The showcase tournaments really are a crapshoot - they're virtually akin to buying a bingo card and crossing off the numbers.

I've played about 2000 MTTs on this site, of which maybe 20 have been the Open, Five 00 or 9pm BH. The blinds rise so quickly that if you don't hit a hand early and get it paid off, you're in all-in mode after about 20 minutes. At this point, it's not really poker at all (though if you're lucky, it can be profitable. I came 2nd in one and won £800). On the other side of the coin, I've played slow-structure tourneys on other sites and got busted out after 7 hours, winning £40. That's not even fun.

Solution: have TWO tournaments of 250 rather than one of 500. Run them simultaneously but merge them when there are, say, 9 players left in each. The blinds could increase at maybe half the current rate and it would still finish at the same time.
  • edited July 2009
    What a poor attempt at trolling. Cause that's all Don is doing, I don't know why no-one else has realized this :)

Anyway, I disagree about there not being any skill involved in the tourney. Sure there's a lot of luck but there's a reason players like me often get into the top 20 after half an hour and that's because I'm good at post flop play, and know when to put my chips in. Unfortunately I suck at the latter stages because I'm too impatient and aggresive and end up bleeding away my chips but c'est la vie.

Don does have some points about the standard of play. The regs are worse on this site in general compared to a site like full tilt but that's to be expected. It's hard for the analysists to go into detail about plays, and often I don't agree with what they say when they're analysing the higher level cash games but that's probably because they have no idea of the history between players, so it's kind of hard to analyse the hands well.

Anyway whilst the regs in general may not be as good sky does however have less donkey players because of the help that is available. There are a lot of players that know the basics and can have good shots in the tourneys on offer.

Also like someone else said the tourney being 3 hours long is perfect timing IMO. I signed up to full tilt at the start of this year and entered 2 tourneys with decent prize pools in the first week. I did extremely well in them for a first attempt and final tabled one and got late into the cash on another one. However it took AGES in the tourney I final tabled and was way too tired by the end :P I entered some more tourneys later on and began to realise how stupid it was to play for 3 hours and either go away with nothing or win only the buyin x 2 back.

Also I'd like to challenge Don @ HU. He seems to think he's superior to everyone on this site, so lets bring it. 2.5/5, whenever you want :D
  • edited July 2009
    i agree with tk--the standard of play is very good and there are not any nutters!
  • edited July 2009
    Comnpletely agree with opening posts here,this is a very amateur site and the players-such as kirstii- reflect that,

you are a one trick pony with your one line answers arnt u kirstii? everytime someone has a concern about this site you defend it to the hilt,your a sad pathetic loner who cares to much for this awfully shi te site, and to the suits, de post,ban me do what u want,i have used up all my points and taken my cash elsewhere due to your amateurish pathetic,idiot filled (ace barry,kirstii) site,

not an advert for poker,too interested in the tv channel and ripping off its customers,the tourneys are a joke and the rkake here is criminal,they should call this site Bingo Poker or Sky Lottery...actually just get rid of this site and put it under Sky Bingo,problem solved

im awaiting your witty retort kirstii...... dont worry i'll wait for you to pull your head out of your sh it hole first!!!!
  • edited July 2009
    i  have  played  on a lot  of  sites   standerd  of  play   has been  garbage   at  the  low  levels   but  as   u   move  the stakes  the  standerd  gets  better  and  better  al   forems  of  poker    have  fish  and   donks     and  all   levels   even  pros  fish  time  to time   if there  getting  the odds  so   stop  slagging  sky  poker off  get  behind  them   and  back  them   this  site will go  fromm strenth  to  strenth    one    not  slaging  sky  but  the  graphics  need  to  improve lets  put it all to bed  move  forward  good  luck  sky
  • edited July 2009
    "It continually attracts 700 players so sky must be doing something right"  lol  you really are clueless,put down your sky poker vi....or for a minute and try figuring out how many of these"players" are real.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    am i missing something?,i dont know what you mean "are they real?"

do you mean just people playing for fun?
    or poker bots etc?
  • edited July 2009
    Totally agree its a joke. You can't read anyone's game as half the time they are just doing it to win the bounties. I don't like the format with the main tournaments on sky to be honest. I enjoy playing poker on here but I personally can't see the skill when the blinds are going up like every 5 mins and going up to a considerably huge amount each time. It just makes it down to luck in getting good hands at the start otherwise you are just pushing in low stacked after no more than 30 mins to an hour. Then with the bounty hunter you get people just pushing all in from the start due to the bounties. Sorry but to me thats not poker. Don't get me wrong a do like playing on this site but the formats in my eyes makes it more down to luck than ever and it does not suit my game at all
    Posted by Mozza1987
    solution?,dont play bh if you dont like them(i dont like them),if you dont want to play the tv games there are plenty more with longer blinds(£20 deepstack)
    so really i think there is something for most people on here,although i would like to see the open played 6 nights a week along with the five oo on a thurs,as i dont like th bh but they can still run the bh alongside....
    dave
  • edited July 2009
    dam.,you got me there...ive always wanted to be in a group with people like you. ps.try using your real name,its pretty sad using a girls name to get chatted up online.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    lol ok mr Long play..............
  • edited July 2009
    another new site pkr gets rubbished for its bad play and bad value as well but i just think it suits players with a little more bottle, it doesnt suit limpers at all but 90% of poker players do this far to much then complain about the site etc i love these players there great for my roll !!!!!
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Insult to poker : Hi The Don, Just got back from the show. Wasn't actually shown this message during the programme by the studio crew. I would guess that this was because (a) they were massively busy tonight with technical issues and all sorts of phone calls to Vegas etc and (b) they wouldn't have seen it anyway, as it wasn't posted in the thread for tonight's show. So I certainly wasn't avoiding the question- I would have gladly read it out on air and answered it. And of course I will now. To be honest, I personally prefer the Open to the Bounty Hunter to play in, but I also understand the concept of market forces. The Bounty Hunter constantly sells out. People seem to enjoy playing it. I think if people felt it wasn't providing good value for money they would stop playing it. As I say, it sells out every week. I think there's something for everyone on the site now-(Omaha is coming)- we've got a great community and it's an enjoyable site to play on. I also think everyone knows what they're getting when they sign up for the 9pm tournament. 3 hours of fun playing with your mates, a chance to be on TV, and the possibility of winning a few grand. All this, usually for £11. The price of a round of drinks. Sorry you feel on a bit of a downer about The Bounty Hunter, but obviously you're not forced to play it. It's just one of a million tournaments in the world of poker you can play. I would imagine this won't have done much to change your mind, but I hope it at least proves that the presenters are not necessarily just smiling faces who don't give a monkeys. I'm very proud of Sky Poker and have a lot of time for the players, of which, I am one. Cheers Rich
    Posted by RichOrford
    i totally agree richard,and for the record you are not an 80s has been!

(90's maybe)...............xx dave
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker : i totally agree richard,and for the record you are not an 80s has been! (90's maybe)...............xx dave
    Posted by DAVEYZZ

You're not wrong about the 90's, haha, classic Orford ;-) 

• edited July 2009
    Sky poker is the worst poker site i've ever come across. It seems that the "loose" players seem to get rewarded, i've lost count on how many bad beats i've came across, and some of the players are a disgrace, calling all ins with 7/4 o/s and somehow managing to flop trips or a straight.

The tournaments espically that are 600 strong end up being one by someones whos lucks in on the day, and not to the most skillfull poker player.
  • edited July 2009
    my 2 cents

the structure of the open and bounty hunter tournaments is not great because the blinds do rise quickly and therefore the luck element is bigger (good for me cos i run like god).  sky have done a lot to improve what they offer and if u want a longer structure play the 1k bounty hunter at 9.30 instead which is a fantastic alternative.  i think the open should stay as it is because as has been mentioned before it gets the most players and is suited perfectly for the tv stuff.  i would love to see the a few other £10+ buy ins available during peak hours tho as the player base expands.

for those people moaning about the luck factor i have 2 suggestions
    1) dont play it if you dont like it - sounds obvious but im sure the open can survive without u
    2) bankroll management - if you have the correct bankroll to play the tournament then you wont be so upset when the (inevitable) bad beats happen.  i think most of the players complaining cant afford to be playing this tournament on a daily basis

the open should remain as it is - yes there is a big luck element but that is only natural with that number of players regardless of the blind structure.  the only change i would make is having more similar sized buy in tournaments available during the peak hours especially with more and more players joining the site.

• edited July 2009
    my 2 cents the structure of the open and bounty hunter tournaments is not great because the blinds do rise quickly and therefore the luck element is bigger (good for me cos i run like god).  sky have done a lot to improve what they offer and if u want a longer structure play the 1k bounty hunter at 9.30 instead which is a fantastic alternative.  i think the open should stay as it is because as has been mentioned before it gets the most players and is suited perfectly for the tv stuff.  i would love to see the a few other £10+ buy ins available during peak hours tho as the player base expands. for those people moaning about the luck factor i have 2 suggestions 1) dont play it if you dont like it - sounds obvious but im sure the open can survive without u 2) bankroll management - if you have the correct bankroll to play the tournament then you wont be so upset when the (inevitable) bad beats happen.  i think most of the players complaining cant afford to be playing this tournament on a daily basis the open should remain as it is - yes there is a big luck element but that is only natural with that number of players regardless of the blind structure.  the only change i would make is having more similar sized buy in tournaments available during the peak hours especially with more and more players joining the site.
    Posted by huuuuume
    EXCELLENT point. (Highlighted). By playing within our Bankroll, the Beats don't hurt. They DO hurt when you are playing above your Bankroll, & that is a big part of the problem for those who struggle to handle their beats.

• edited July 2009
    my 2 cents the structure of the open and bounty hunter tournaments is not great because the blinds do rise quickly and therefore the luck element is bigger (good for me cos i run like god).  sky have done a lot to improve what they offer and if u want a longer structure play the 1k bounty hunter at 9.30 instead which is a fantastic alternative.  i think the open should stay as it is because as has been mentioned before it gets the most players and is suited perfectly for the tv stuff.  i would love to see the a few other £10+ buy ins available during peak hours tho as the player base expands. for those people moaning about the luck factor i have 2 suggestions 1) dont play it if you dont like it - sounds obvious but im sure the open can survive without u 2) bankroll management - if you have the correct bankroll to play the tournament then you wont be so upset when the (inevitable) bad beats happen.  i think most of the players complaining cant afford to be playing this tournament on a daily basis the open should remain as it is - yes there is a big luck element but that is only natural with that number of players regardless of the blind structure.  the only change i would make is having more similar sized buy in tournaments available during the peak hours especially with more and more players joining the site.
    Posted by huuuuume
     That bit i agree with :)
  • edited July 2009
    i  do  agree  with  some  of  the  things  that block  513 says  about  suiting  looose  and  the  fish  and  i  dont  play   many  tv  tourneys  because  of the  blind  struture   too fast  before u  know  it  if  your not  getting  any  cards  your  in  allin  mode  within   45 min  but  thats  my  choice   so  find  some ting  that  suits  your  style   block
  • edited July 2009
    Sky poker is the worst poker site i've ever come across. It seems that the "loose" players seem to get rewarded, i've lost count on how many bad beats i've came across, and some of the players are a disgrace, calling all ins with 7/4 o/s and somehow managing to flop trips or a straight. The tournaments espically that are 600 strong end up being one by someones whos lucks in on the day, and not to the most skillfull poker player.
    Posted by block513
    Block513 ... of course there is an element of luck BUT if you watch or play the Open daily, you will find the same players either winning or going close, day after day.   I wish it was ALL luck and then I may have a chance myself but unfortunately they are regularly won by a player from a group of the more skillful Sky MTT players
  • edited July 2009
    i played online poker for about 6 years on loads dif sites, but this site is amazing most of the players dont have a clue they in pots they shouldnt be in go all in with nothin ect ect, maybe these clueless players just play on here to get a shot on tv? i dont no but like i said some of the worst moves iv ever seen in poker, this site is full of donks so all you sharks out there get on these cash tables an take all the dead money because i sure will be :) they should change the name to sky donker.
  • edited July 2009
    What an amazing post you troll.
  • edited July 2009
    there is absolutley no skill in sky poker tournaments, this is why i play because i have no skill!!! lol we all know its for muppets like myself who are at best reasonable gamblers.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Insult to poker: couldnt agree more.
    Totally agree its a joke. You can't read anyone's game as half the time they are just doing it to win the bounties. I don't like the format with the main tournaments on sky to be honest. I enjoy playing poker on here but I personally can't see the skill when the blinds are going up like every 5 mins and going up to a considerably huge amount each time. It just makes it down to luck in getting good hands at the start otherwise you are just pushing in low stacked after no more than 30 mins to an hour. Then with the bounty hunter you get people just pushing all in from the start due to the bounties. Sorry but to me thats not poker. Don't get me wrong a do like playing on this site but the formats in my eyes makes it more down to luck than ever and it does not suit my game at all
    Posted by Mozza1987