You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New SnG promotion

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
Just wanted to say a BIG well done to Sky. A lot of people wanted a SnG promotion and I have to say they have really knocked it out of the park with this one. Its a great promotion that everyone has a chance at!

I dont play many SnG on Sky as they dont have a lot of traffic but I will certainly go for this.

Comments

• edited March 2014
    It does look decent.

I only see one flaw. Maybe it isn't a flaw, but I'd have it so that your best 30 stake streak counts. At the moment, if someone smashes it in the first 30 games they won't play any more for fear of ruining their roi.

We should at least see a lot more traffic in the smallest stakes. A tiered approach to stakes would improve traffic for all stakes.

• edited March 2014
    In Response to New SnG promotion:
    Just wanted to say a BIG well done to Sky. A lot of people wanted a SnG promotion and I have to say they have really knocked it out of the park with this one. Its a great promotion that everyone has a chance at! I dont play many SnG on Sky as they dont have a lot of traffic but I will certainly go for this.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Good morning Craig
    What promotion is this, i cannot see any information on it.
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited March 2014
    Does it apply to any SNG or just standard format?
  • edited March 2014
    Morning Rainman,

It's called 'Skill and Go' - for all the details, click here!

Cheers.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion:
    Morning Rainman, It's called 'Skill and Go' - for all the details,  click here! Cheers.
    Posted by Sky_Sam
    Sam

Can promotions get announced in the forum as well as on the promotions page (and twitter/facebook/whatever the young kids use these days!)?

Matt
  • edited March 2014
    The principle is commendable especially as most of the promos on the site are cash focused at the moment.

However, if you run insanely well (as has been pointed out by chicknmelt) there is absolutely no incentive to go beyond 30 games as its highly likely your roi wont improve in fact with a larger sample size it will probably get worse. 

If the idea was to generate more action on sngs, I dont think this will have the desired effect. A rake race along the lines of the cash promos could easily have been put in place and linked to buyin levels eg less than £20 , £20-£49 and £50 upwards. A leaderboard could easily be published every day. 

SNG action would then have been much higher than will be the case for this promo. 
  • edited March 2014
    Morning Rainman, It's called 'Skill and Go' - for all the details,  click here! Cheers.
    Posted by Sky_Sam
    Good morning Sam.
    Thank you for reply, will have a go at this.
    All the best
    Rainman397.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : Sam Can promotions get announced in the forum as well as on the promotions page (and twitter/facebook/whatever the young kids use these days!)? Matt
    Posted by MattBates
    Of course, Sir! We generally stagger these kind of things, you'll see it cropping up in various places on the website/social channels over the weekend.

Cheers.
  • edited March 2014
    So it's only 6 max, not any sit @ go, like dym...
  • edited March 2014
    So it's only 6 max, not any sit @ go, like dym...
    Posted by tomo_efc
    The promo page indicates it's for any sng... unless they're reducing the payout for a standard sng to less than double the buy-in.

The confusion is coming from Sky's unusual use of the term "6-max" to refer to standard, play-to-a-winner sng's.
  • edited March 2014
    One of the best promos I've seen on here.  Really looking forward to this.

Really do not get the thinking behind this 'what if someone gets off to a flyer'. You're really looking for problems in nothing.  If someone crushes early and wants to lock up, fair enough.  Good luck to them.  There are 6 seats and poker rarely works so easily.  The SNG player pool needs a boost but you can't just jump it to huge levels, this is gauged just right.  Having concerns about someone crushing early is like saying only 2 of the 5 goals Spurs will score in the first half tomorrow will count as to not ruin the second half.

Whoever came up with the promo, very good work!
  • edited March 2014
    The principle is commendable especially as most of the promos on the site are cash focused at the moment. However, if you run insanely well (as has been pointed out by chicknmelt) there is absolutely no incentive to go beyond 30 games as its highly likely your roi wont improve in fact with a larger sample size it will probably get worse.  If the idea was to generate more action on sngs, I dont think this will have the desired effect. A rake race along the lines of the cash promos could easily have been put in place and linked to buyin levels eg less than £20 , £20-£49 and £50 upwards. A leaderboard could easily be published every day.  SNG action would then have been much higher than will be the case for this promo. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    Yes it generates more rake but rec's will stop playing.
    The last time they ran this type of sit and go's promo I stopped playing after 1 day.No chance of competing with 10+ table players and sick of having the same 4-5 players on every table.
  • edited March 2014
    The principle is commendable especially as most of the promos on the site are cash focused at the moment. However, if you run insanely well (as has been pointed out by chicknmelt) there is absolutely no incentive to go beyond 30 games as its highly likely your roi wont improve in fact with a larger sample size it will probably get worse.  If the idea was to generate more action on sngs, I dont think this will have the desired effect. A rake race along the lines of the cash promos could easily have been put in place and linked to buyin levels eg less than £20 , £20-£49 and £50 upwards. A leaderboard could easily be published every day.  SNG action would then have been much higher than will be the case for this promo. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    I don't agree, Gooner. This promo should be a lot better to encourage SNG action in the long-run. It also favours the standard SNG's which ought to encourage players to play them, due to the better potential ROI.

If the promo was aimed solely as a rake race, we all know the result would be that anyone who could play 12 hour days would win and the top six places would be unattainable for low volume players.

Many have suggested a Battle of the planets style promotion and this one does mirror that quite closely. It's a good thing.

There are one or two issues:

First is the fact that it's not over the course of segmented numbers of games, as others have said.

The second problem is that it's only a short-term promotion. To encourage long-term pick-up in the SNG numbers, it should be a continuous, short-period reward system. Hopefully that will be a possibility if this promotion is a success. Obviously to make it permanent would probably require a smaller payout.
  • edited March 2014
    Id love a go at this. 

But nit too clued up on the roi thing.
    if I play 30 at 3.30 and 30 at 11. Would there be a diffrence if I cashed everyone 
  • edited March 2014
    It does look decent. I only see one flaw. Maybe it isn't a flaw, but I'd have it so that your best 30 stake streak counts. At the moment, if someone smashes it in the first 30 games they won't play any more for fear of ruining their roi. We should at least see a lot more traffic in the smallest stakes. A tiered approach to stakes would improve traffic for all stakes.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    £3.30 or over(for dym's) as rake is higher in micro's & would kill your roi.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : The promo page indicates it's for any sng... unless they're reducing the payout for a standard sng to less than double the buy-in. The confusion is coming from Sky's unusual use of the term "6-max" to refer to standard, play-to-a-winner sng's.
    Posted by BorinLoner

Thanks for the reply B L, sorry but i'm a bit confused, if you play a £5 dym and finnish 3rd is that classed as a win as you are winning the same cash as the winner ?.
  • edited March 2014
    Id love a go at this.  But nit too clued up on the roi thing. if I play 30 at 3.30 and 30 at 11. Would there be a diffrence if I cashed everyone 
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    ROI would be the same regardless of buy-in, except where the site fee is different, relative to the buy-in.

I think the micro-stakes dym's have higher fees so the ROI would be lower.

You can look at the ROI calculation on the promo page.

It'll be interesting to see if a DYM player can manage to win this. Sky's standard SNG's don't pay out a very top-heavy winner anymore, so...
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion :   Thanks for the reply B L, sorry but i'm a bit confused, if you play a £5 dym and finnish 3rd is that classed as a win as you are winning the same cash as the winner ?.
    Posted by tomo_efc
    Yep, a third is a win. The ROI is exactly the same for third as for first and that's what the promo is based on.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : Yep, a third is a win. The ROI is exactly the same for third as for first and that's what the promo is based on.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Thanks m8 that will do me..
  • edited March 2014
    By the way, I don't work for Sky.

If any of these things are wrong, don't blame me. Blame sky. They're used to it. :)
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion :   Thanks for the reply B L, sorry but i'm a bit confused, if you play a £5 dym and finnish 3rd is that classed as a win as you are winning the same cash as the winner ?.
    Posted by tomo_efc
    It is return on investment. You get the same amount of money in a DyM for 1st/2nd/3rd so it doesn't matter where you finish. Obviously in a standard SnG the payout structure is different
  • edited March 2014
    Like.

Success />>>> Volume.

Would like to see HU sngs promoted but probably too much scope for collusion in something like this. 1 for the future maybe.

Is it just HLHE or are all formats included? The are some PLO8 guys with insane roi's who will go in as favourites.

Is there any chance of seeing a prize structure and blind structure for the final SNG? I assume all places will be paid?

Cheers, gl all.
  • edited March 2014
    Would it be better too play 6 max or dym do u think? 
  • edited March 2014
    Would it be better too play 6 max or dym do u think? 
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    The roi for winning a standard sng is 255% and second is 91%

The roi for winning a DYM is 82%

Of course, the standard sng's are tougher to win.
  • edited March 2014
    Think ill try my luck with 6 max then. But ill see how it goes . I dont get too much time too play but worth a try I suppose.
  • edited March 2014
    It does look decent. I only see one flaw. Maybe it isn't a flaw, but I'd have it so that your best 30 stake streak counts. At the moment, if someone smashes it in the first 30 games they won't play any more for fear of ruining their roi. We should at least see a lot more traffic in the smallest stakes. A tiered approach to stakes would improve traffic for all stakes.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    So SkySam ignored what you and AceGooner's concern - I'm surprised more people don't see it as a concern because I certainly do.

30 games is an incredibly small sample size and it would be very possible to attain a 70% ROI over that small a sample if you run well. The fact that it's only 30 games as well will convince everyone to have a go and play the minimum of 30 games before stopping. This means there will be a ton of people with a 30 game sample and there is bound to be 6 people in that sample which will have ran well and these 6 people without a doubt will be the ones that win the promo. Nobody who plays more than 50+ games is going to win this promo, I can almost guarantee it. Certainly not someone that's played 100 games or more will win it.

If a few of us on this forum can spot this big glaring hitch, how does no-one that thinks up these promotions that work for sky forsee this problem???
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : So SkySam ignored what you and AceGooner's concern - I'm surprised more people don't see it as a concern because I certainly do. 30 games is an incredibly small sample size and it would be very possible to attain a 70% ROI over that small a sample if you run well. The fact that it's only 30 games as well will convince everyone to have a go and play the minimum of 30 games before stopping. This means there will be a ton of people with a 30 game sample and there is bound to be 6 people in that sample which will have ran well and these 6 people without a doubt will be the ones that win the promo. Nobody who plays more than 50+ games is going to win this promo, I can almost guarantee it. Certainly not someone that's played 100 games or more will win it. If a few of us on this forum can spot this big glaring hitch, how does no-one that thinks up these promotions that work for sky forsee this problem???
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    We all agree on that... but it's only a few days and designed to encourage new and low volume players.

Over the course of these few days, it's not ideal. In any repeat of the format, hopefully it will be segmented. It absolutely should be. This is definitely an improvement on previous sng promo efforts, despite its flaws.

We need to encourage sky to reproduce this promo in future with the necessary tweaks.
  • edited March 2014
    so SkySam ignored what you and AceGooner's concern - I'm surprised more people don't see it as a concern because I certainly do. Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Just because I haven't replied doesn't mean it has been ignored. :-)

I am not the right person to directly address this concern, I AM the right person to pass it on to the relevant team - which I have done.

Cheers.
  • edited March 2014
    Is not good for someone like me. I cant play 100+ games a day. I have a young family and work 6 days  a week. So if I run well through 30 games and have a chance of winning then im all for it. Its very hard for players like me to be even close too a leaderboard so ill be happy if I see my name on one for a change. This way it isnt just the usual suspects who get thousands apon thousands of points a month. It means everyone has a chance.  So if us smaller players run well for these 30 games why  shouldn't we be up there. 
  • edited March 2014
    Is not good for someone like me. I cant play 100+ games a day. I have a young family and work 6 days  a week. So if I run well through 30 games and have a chance of winning then im all for it. Its very hard for players like me to be even close too a leaderboard so ill be happy if I see my name on one for a change. This way it isnt just the usual suspects who get thousands apon thousands of points a month. It means everyone has a chance.  So if us smaller players run well for these 30 games why  shouldn't we be up there. 
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    If it was done as we're suggesting, you wouldn't be disadvantaged. It would be done in 30 game segments. So the ROI of your first 30 games would be "banked" and then you could start on another 30 game portion. Only your best would count.

That would avoid discouraging people from playing high volume while still allowing lower volume players a chance.

The BOTP format is the benchmark. That's segmented into 20 games - as well as a high volume 100 game grouping - and tiered to avoid reducing the numbers playing higher stakes games. That's the format that probably should be imitated in the long run.