You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

New SnG promotion

Comments

• edited March 2014
    I think it is a great promotion but also fairly obvious that no one playing 100 games + has a chance of winning. I will play 30 games, see where I stand on the leaderboard and if im in the top 6 il lock up, if im near the top 6 i will play 20 more games and see if i can hit a streak and if im still no where near il just give up. Maybe in the future it would be better to just judge it on the longest winning streak as that will guarantee way more action especially in DYMs and id find that more appealing, if you run bad for the first 10 games you play in this promo then you may as well give up which is a shame.
  • edited March 2014
    You play MTT's , the people who run well who win these aswell but never seen any complaints ...

It's the first sit n go promo, give it a chance.

I agree that 30 is abit low, but it gives everyone a chance which is what it is designed to do. 

Maybe there is some way that the people who play more would be rewarded but no idea what.  Maybe add 0.1 or 0.05 roi for every extra game over 30 ?   
  • edited March 2014

Sounds like a really decent promo from what I've read so far.

Is the 5k prize pool split amongst the top 100? Or is it only the top 6?

• edited March 2014
    People who play 30x DYMs are unlikely to win imo, a very long winning streak would be required in your first 30 games to get in the top 6. After that you'd have to stop playing, if you don't your ROI will regress to the mean.

30x 6-max SnGs is the way to go, that's what I'll be trying 

8 x 1st and 1x 2nd are needed to break-even. That leaves another 21 games to try and build a decent ROI.
  • edited March 2014
    Nice promotion and reward scheme imo.  Not that I stand a chance, but thanks Sky.  Always nice to have [albeit the slimmest] a chance of winning something for nowt.
    Reading through this thread, some people would complain if they won the lottery and it wasn't a rollover week.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion:
    Nice promotion and reward scheme imo.  Not that I stand a chance, but thanks Sky.  Always nice to have [albeit the slimmest] a chance of winning something for nowt. Reading through this thread, some people would complain if they won a packet of Twiglets and it wasn't a rollover week.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    FYP, Macac.
  • edited March 2014
    Hello Sky Will this be based on ROI by percentage or cash.? eg : top 6 win via ROI percentage        top 6 win via ROI cash percentage PS...BTW people.......who are going on about the 30 games scenario....I`ts   30 OR MORE   :o) Thanks for your reply.
    Posted by footsie66
    This is misunderstanding the issue. It's not a problem that playing more than 30 will disqualify you from contention. The problem is that playing many, many games naturally reduces your ROI if you had a good start. Variance evens out over time and, while it's possible to maintain a high ROI for a brief period, it's very much more difficult over a long period.

So the issue is that the promotion currently favours run-good in the first 30 games over long-term performance. The promotion also discourages players from playing many more than 30 games if they have a good start and makes playing beyond those first games meaningless if those 30 do not go well.
  • edited March 2014
    Nice promotion and reward scheme imo.  Not that I stand a chance, but thanks Sky.  Always nice to have [albeit the slimmest] a chance of winning something for nowt. Reading through this thread, some people would complain if they won the lottery and it wasn't a rollover week.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    It's not complaining, it's pointing out potential flaws so that they can be remedied in future...

I think it's easily the best promotion I've seen on sky. It just needs one or two little tweaks.
  • edited March 2014
    I just had to google FYP.
    If I fluke a golden run and hit the final table, can I have a years supply of twiglets instead please?
  • edited March 2014
    I just had to google FYP. If I fluke a golden run and hit the final table, can I have a years supply of twiglets instead please?
    Posted by Macacgirl1

No way.

You get one of these.

PS - "See" you tonight. The DYM's were GREAT fun last night!

• edited March 2014
    will be giving this a go prob be nowhere near top 6 but gotta be in it to be win it :). I actually used to play a lot sng`s on another site a few years ago before I got into cash.

but well done on promo sky
  • edited March 2014
    One day too late. Pie day was yesterday, in the American venacular 3.14 (March 14th)
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks for the feedback and crits all. Being noted!
  • edited March 2014
    Just noticed this...

Fantastic idea, Sky Folk. It seems to be really well thought out too. I'll definitely be giving this one a go :)
  • edited March 2014
    i was coming in looking fwd, im going too play some 6 max, house empty,  get ready......

wait what do you mean from the 18th.  :( 3 days yet 

im phonin a sicky! 
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : Can you please elaborate on my question sam .. Thank you for you for your time and help. This makes me decide which stake levels I play
    Posted by footsie66
    It is based on your ROI as a percentage.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : Thanks for the clarification....so  stakes are obsolete in this challenge ( good for everyone) ,I can now play .50p  6 max tables SNG and build the percentage to astronomical levels I HOPE....:=) .. sure I can win 30 on the bounce ....Cough!
    Posted by footsie66
    Stakes are only obsolete if the rake is the same.

50p DYM = 50p + 10p (so 20% rake)
    £3 DYM = £3 + 30p (so 10% rake)

So if you played 10 x £3s and won 7 your ROI would be higher than if you played 10 x 50ps and won 7.
  • edited March 2014
    P.S. Great Promo Sky, probably encourage me to play 30 SnGs this month and see if my luck's in.
  • edited March 2014
    The promo doesn't work, if anything it will make people play less - not more. If someone achieves say a 40% roi over their first 30 games, they simply won't play anymore games till the end of the month and lock their score.

Anyone who plays 50+ games doesn't have a chance. The more you play, the more your ROI drops (providing you had an early streak).

If anything it should be your best 30 game sample over the promo
  • edited March 2014
    I'm in.
    Is there any advantage at different stakes,or is it a level playing field,no matter what stakes you play?
  • edited March 2014
    The promo doesn't work, if anything it will make people play less - not more. If someone achieves say a 40% roi over their first 30 games, they simply won't play anymore games till the end of the month and lock their score. Anyone who plays 50+ games doesn't have a chance. The more you play, the more your ROI drops (providing you had an early streak). If anything it should be your best 30 game sample over the promo
    Posted by KinichAhau
    Rubbish.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : Rubbish.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Enlighten me
  • edited March 2014
    Kinich is right.

From the sites POV they should've made it clear that only the first 30 sngs you play count for the promotion.

That way sng grinders are free to grind on as usual afterwards.

It's the promo equivalent of an allin sat, as the luck required to get a top 6 place is huge.

But it sounds fun because everyone has a chance. The volume required is very low, and even the worst player on the site can godmode over 30 games.

Just think it's abit of a fail IF the intention was to increase sng liquidity (short and long term).

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : Enlighten me
    Posted by KinichAhau
    You have categorically said that you cannot play more than fifty games and win. You simply have no basis to say that.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : You have categorically said that you cannot play more than fifty games and win. You simply have no basis to say that.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Comical.. It was an example, not an exact figure. But saying that i would bet my BR that no one that plays over 50 games will be in the top 6
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: New SnG promotion : Comical.. It was an example, not an exact figure. But saying that i would bet my BR that no one that plays over 50 games will be in the top 6
    Posted by KinichAhau
    I have to agree. The more you play the less likely you can win simple as that really.

There should have been a different section for DYMs as reg 6 max sit and goes you could get 100% roi over a 30 game sample, dyms is impossible to gain this.

I will be playing so  I will try some reg sit and goes and if I go on a streak I will stop for the month, play exactly 30 and see where I am.
  • edited March 2014
    It is almost certainly gonna be won by someone who plays 30 games or VERY close to 30 Slip.

There's probably gonna be 200+ people easily who end up playing 30 SnGs. Just through basic averages there's a very good chance that over the course of 30 SnGs, 6 people from that big a player group will probably have a sick ROI from their first 30 games. Given it's free entry to a £5k GTD SnG, it would be pretty nuts to play on and damage your chances of winning entry.

Having said that, it ticks pretty much ALL the boxses.

1) There is no advantage for low or high volume players
    2) There is no advantage for low or high stakes players
    3) Everyone is in with a shot
    4) It will increase liquidity on SnGs*
    5) It rewards skill**

*People are saying it won't but it will. For a start most people who really wanna go for it are gonna be playing 'regular' SnGs cos ROIs are better and these never run so you're gonna have 200+ people (imo) all trying to get at least 30 games in and they've only got 2 weeks to do it. IIRC it's hard enough to get 1 game going, so you probably aint gonna be suddenly 6tabling them, it's gonna take a fair bit of time to get 30 games in so I think there will be pretty steady traffic on them for the last 2 weeks of March deffo. After that of course it might go back to normal, who knows, maybe people will get a taste for them, realise the lower rake (at micros) and better ROIs that are attainable v DYMs and action might increase a bit.

**There will be a lot of rungood involved but Phil Galfond would still have a MUCH better chance of getting a sick ROI in his first 30 games than someone awful... I dunno, like AceGooner ;) Luck will be involved, but a lot of skill will deffo increase your chances.

Fwiw, I think it's a great promo
  • edited March 2014
    Excellent promo sky, I think people are forgetting its a promo! Its free money people! People who grind sit n go's can still grind them, enjoy the extra volume of players, make your edge count, so many people moan, thinking that its their godgiven right that promos should be aimed at them.
    Sky are trying to bring players onto this site, there have been posts that cash games are scarce andthis promo could spread onto the cash games! 
    So what if you could luckbox a good roi! Isn't that the fun of the promo! 
  • edited March 2014
    I started the thread and glad to see a lot of contributors. Some I agree with and some I dont.

Remember 30 is still a lot considering its only over two weeks and I for one think that this is a good thing. Why? Because 30 is do-able for a lot of players that can only play a few times a week and its only fair its open to as many players as possible. Far too many promos are stacked in favour of players that play both high volume and high stakes. 

This is the first promo that gives EVERYONE a chance. Yes, someone can run like god over that sample size, but doesn't that make it more exciting and do-able for a lot of players? 

Also, doing it over 30 (not more or a best streak) also means players that play a high volume can still play on and not worry that their ROI will (inevitably) go down and level out the more they play.

I still think its the best structured promo yet, and one in a format that doesnt usually get anything.
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Sky thanks for running this promo.

I have a few queries. My main query is, is it total roi or average roi. If it's total roi as the formula suggests then I think you might have a big problem. One player wins a £50 game and then plays 29, 60pence games....huge total roi. Not so high average roi if they lose the 29, 60p games. If it is total roi hopefully this will be reworded as average roi so you can avoid this before it kicks off.

I agree also with most of the posts I think it should be best average roi over 30 consecutive games. Im pretty sure sharkscope has a tool that can display this (assuming your stats arent hidden).

Also am I right in presuming that six max also includes dyms?

Ger (not complaining just looking to imrpove :D)