You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables

Comments

• edited January 2015
    AQ hand I actually think you played it fine. Although if you've been shoving then just keep doing it. 

QQ hand I think it's a sigh call. Yes your beat or racing sometimes but your ahead too often to fold. 
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables:
    AQ hand I actually think you played it fine. Although if you've been shoving then just keep doing it.  QQ hand I think it's a sigh call. Yes your beat or racing sometimes but your ahead too often to fold. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Fist pump call for me! :)
  • edited January 2015
    Hey Mike

With 15 bigs, i'd be jamming

QQ would be totally dependant on reads. Like tight player/ maniac.
  • edited January 2015
    QQ pretty easy call, helped by the fact we cover them both by 1.5k IMO
  • edited January 2015
    Shakin, I'd remove that QQ hand if I were you ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    It's cool H, I'm big enough and ugly enough to put hands up for review and take criticism without resorting to

Am never going to improve by only putting up brag hands and coolers, am I?
  • edited January 2015
    TY all for the feedback on the hands above.

I was just guilty of over-thinking things again... and evidently giving way too much credit to the standard of players in £11 games.  It would be a snap call in the usual micro games / freerolls I've played.

So how wide should I be calling with in this sort of spot?  Obviously easy to be results orientated based on this hand, but against a standard unknown UTG open... AQs and TT+?  Wider/tighter?
  • edited January 2015
    ty for the gl TTT - alas it never showed up and I monkey spewed with overpairs for what is probably my worst DTD effort to date :( DTD3 could have been a saver, but I sort of lost interest after the Outlaw table split and spent more time on a handful of cash tables where I was able to pick up a few buy ins... On that note, great to see the site so busy... especially as there was some really poor play knocking around (no, not just from me)... I expected January to be a bit dull with an absence of recs until post-Christmas payday arrived, but the cash tables were great fun yesterday! Ah well... maybe next week :/ WP Harry and Sam for the top 10 finishes yesterday :)
    Posted by shakinaces

If you stop folding QQ you may fair better ;) altho, heard that once someone folded KK :)

• edited January 2015
    And just to confirm that it's not just MTTs where I struggle to correctly assign a range to UTG opens...

I probably should have guessed I was beat when he led the turn and just called and just checked back the river?

No option but to lol at the end of the hand. WP sir. Shakinces well and truly pwned :)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Gazzatron1 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.68
    LJHAlmight Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £24.21
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

xxxRaise  £0.40 £0.55 £7.11
    wilcox33 Fold     
    longman912 Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £1.10 £1.65 £20.49
    Gazzatron1 Fold     
    LJHAlmight Fold     
    xxxCall  £0.70 £2.35 £6.41
    Flop

xxxBet  £0.60 £2.95 £5.81
    shakinaces Raise  £1.50 £4.45 £18.99
    xxxCall  £0.90 £5.35 £4.91
    Turn

• Q

xxxBet  £1.30 £6.65 £3.61
    shakinaces Raise  £3.30 £9.95 £15.69
    xxxCall  £2.00 £11.95 £1.61
    River

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £5.98 £17.93 £9.71
    xxxAll-in  £1.61 £19.54 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £4.37 £15.17 £14.08
    xxxShow

shakinaces Show
    • K
    • K

xxxWin Two Pairs, 9s and 3s £14.03  £14.03
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : If you stop folding QQ you may fair better ;) altho, heard that once someone folded KK :)
    Posted by samantha25
    To be fair Sam, KK is pretty much the same as 22 once two people are already all in :)
  • edited January 2015
    JUST LOOOOOOL :) 

GL tonite dude, I would like a brag post here sometime soon!
  • edited January 2015
    Sigh.

I don't even know where to start trying to improve.  Yet again just spewed chips by raising reasonable hands pre from CO/BU (T9s, KQo etc) only to get multiple limp callers, whiff and have have to fold.

Then find myself shorter stacked fairly early on.

Get to the stage of shoving earlier than most.

Can't hold and haven't ever built the stack to come back from flips/suckouts.

I truly am abysmal when I can't auto-topup to 100bb after each hand lol.

Any suggestions as to where to start trying to be less than a massive fish appreciated!
  • edited January 2015
    The penultimate ignominous exit from a DTD.

Only one Outlaw can play this like it's the nuts.

Am guessing someone will tell me that the oppo that raised is an utter nit and was never doing this with a flush.

But then it was a bit of a ffs tilt call lol
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    shakinaces Small blind   20.00 20.00 1950.00
    Moon_River Big blind   40.00 60.00 3390.00
      Your hole cards

hhyftrftdr Raise   80.00 140.00 1930.00
    Cormach Fold        
    xxx Call   80.00 220.00 4430.00
    stewie7 Fold        
    shakinaces Call   60.00 280.00 1890.00
    Moon_River Call   40.00 320.00 3350.00
    Flop

• J
    • J

shakinaces Check        
    Moon_River Check        
    hhyftrftdr Check        
    xxx Check        
    Turn

shakinaces Bet   200.00 520.00 1690.00
    Moon_River Fold        
    hhyftrftdr Fold        
    xxx Call   200.00 720.00 4230.00
    River

• K

shakinaces Bet   520.00 1240.00 1170.00
    xxx Raise   2280.00 3520.00 1950.00
    shakinaces All-in   1170.00 4690.00 0.00
    xxx Unmatched bet   590.00 4100.00 2540.00
    shakinaces Show

xxx Show
    • J
    • K

xxx Win Full House, Jacks and Kings 4100.00   6640.00
  • edited January 2015
    Oh no!!! So sorry :(
  • edited January 2015
    Yay I wasn't last!

:(
    86SHAKINACESOUTLAWS158115121236
    87MYRRDHINDRA16015880238
    88SOLACKTPT131178124255
    89THEJUDGE10THS21919858256
    Should I be playing sh## or bust for the first two levels of DTD? 

I mean, there is little value in taking down the blinds / getting a call and taking down on the flop in the early levels as it has such a little effect on my stack.

Has everyone else got the right idea that I should be playing a super wide range of hands pre flop, often limping to avoid leaking chips, but then be happy to try and gii asap if I bink 2pr or better? 

I'm not talking utter garbage 72o 84o etc, but any pair, any suited connector, any suited gap connector, any two broadway, any suited ace, any suited king.

Then seek to tighten up from level 3 onwards, hopefully with a stack 50%/doubled up from where I started.
  • edited January 2015
    Ok, you may not listen to me as i'm 'wouldn't let me type it'... but play DTD as a whole new game.

I don't norm play those 1/2quid deepies, but you have to adapt to them. No one folds.... so always fold if you don't have it.
    Push pre with AT or above if you get a chall... yr norm facing kjo at the best of times even at 10/20 blinds.

Most of all tho, who cares.... we still love you shakey :)
  • edited January 2015
    Ok, you may not listen to me as i'm 'wouldn't let me type it'... but play DTD as a whole new game. I don't norm play those 1/2quid deepies, but you have to adapt to them. No one folds.... so always fold if you don't have it. Push pre with AT or above if you get a chall... yr norm facing kjo at the best of times even at 10/20 blinds. Most of all tho, who cares.... we still love you shakey :)
    Posted by samantha25
    lol cheers Sam... I wouldn't be so annoyed with myself if it was just playing for the cash, just always hate poor performance in a team environment... one day soon I'll get the luck on the right day and help pull in some points :)

Speaking of luckboxing... last night was nuts.

Played 7 tournis and final tabled 4 of them.

£48 from the UKPC freeroll
    6th spot in the Megastack
    2nd in the 8.05 BH
    2nd in the 7.15 Deepy... why can't I muster this on a Monday night??!? :)

The two HU spots came at the same time and was frankly nuts... I can't multi table 2 x HU and try and play the bubble of a mega stack... I'd practice my HU skills, but I'll be waiting months, if not years, to be in that position again!

The 7.15 run insane... after being left with 4-5 BB from a car crash TT vs JT my notable suckouts included:

63s cracking QQ after I meh-shoved my 4-5BB

Two hands later JTs cracked AA BvB

Very next hand I min-raised 88 from the button, flopped quads and sat there while the BB fired away his whole stack at me with the NFD

Called a shorty shove with 55... they turned over JJ and flopped a set... I hit running 5s for quads again

On the bubble I was shoving junk constantly*, the one time I shoved vs the other biggish stack I had AJs and got called by AJo... but binked my flush

I don't think I made as many mistakes as Monday, but when you are running like this the game seems so easy... hopefully I can improve a bit more though rather than rely on sick luck!

All in all it sort of made up for another depressing night following the footy... but meh, at least finishing mid-table will be softened by the weekend's result :/ 
  • edited January 2015
    * I was going to ask about bubble play, which I thought didn't really matter at the lower stakes due to the value of the prizes... but the game last night maybe changed my mind.

I was really surprised that what I assume are winning regular faces in the games were clinging on like cockroaches in a nuclear war to try and nurse their 2-5BB stacks in for a min cash of like £4.

I know there is monetary level where I would start to care... the UKPC freeroll is probably a good barometer where £48 and the flat payout structure makes it seem worthwhile... for £4 (or less in the micro BH games) I couldn't care less and want to double up to try and win or bust trying.

But for at the normal microstakes games, is it fairly standard for people to still freeze up completely (ie should I bother with any sort of change to my play at the bubble)?
  • edited January 2015
    Missing another Friday night vs drunk people at poker... booze has proved too tempting again.

It's Burns night and there are whisky tasting sessions to be attended.

Mind you, if I take Rainman's advice then maybe afterwards I can come and boss some tournis around midnight :)

I really ought to give up alcohol if I'm to ever bump my bankroll up much and afford a proper holiday this year!
  • edited January 2015
    I'm sure your roll, last time you posted it, was around the 2.5k mark....how bloody expensive are the holidays you go on?! You not heard of Ryanair? ;)

Not folding QQ in a Sky £11 BH is a sure fire way to increase your BR btw :)

Have a great weekend, though something tells me it won't trump last weekend....eh jac?
  • edited January 2015
    * I was going to ask about bubble play, which I thought didn't really matter at the lower stakes due to the value of the prizes... but the game last night maybe changed my mind. I was really surprised that what I assume are winning regular faces in the games were clinging on like cockroaches in a nuclear war to try and nurse their 2-5BB stacks in for a min cash of like £4. I know there is monetary level where I would start to care... the UKPC freeroll is probably a good barometer where £48 and the flat payout structure makes it seem worthwhile... for £4 (or less in the micro BH games) I couldn't care less and want to double up to try and win or bust trying. But for at the normal microstakes games, is it fairly standard for people to still freeze up completely (ie should I bother with any sort of change to my play at the bubble)?
    Posted by shakinaces
    Monetary level is somewhat irrelevant. If these games are within your bankroll, then getting at least a min-cash as opposed to nothing is worth the same as someone who plays medium stakes getting a min-cash for £60 in a £55BH.n OTOH in a WSOP where you satellite in then getting a min-cash is definitely significant and worth tightening up for.

If playing for a min-cash is the right thing to do, then just because the money seems insignificant (indeed, one would question why you are playing so low if min-cash is insignificant?) doesn't mean you should just play reckless. Of course, if everyone is nitting up then we can indeed shove a ton. If you're on 6bb tho and there are quite a few players similar stack sizers and shorter, then it does make sense to hold on and play very tight, but if it's just you and a couple of others on similar stack sizes then you definitely don't want to just be holding on. 

• edited January 2015
    I'm sure your roll, last time you posted it, was around the 2.5k mark....how bloody expensive are the holidays you go on?! You not heard of Ryanair? ;) Not folding QQ in a Sky £11 BH is a sure fire way to increase your BR btw :) Have a great weekend, though something tells me it won't trump last weekend....eh jac?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yeah, shaky enjoyed seeing his 2nd team Arsenal destroy City
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : Monetary level is somewhat irrelevant. If these games are within your bankroll, then getting at least a min-cash as opposed to nothing is worth the same as someone who plays medium stakes getting a min-cash for £60 in a £55BH.n OTOH in a WSOP where you satellite in then getting a min-cash is definitely significant and worth tightening up for. If playing for a min-cash is the right thing to do, then just because the money seems insignificant (indeed, one would question why you are playing so low if min-cash is insignificant?) doesn't mean you should just play reckless. Of course, if everyone is nitting up then we can indeed shove a ton. If you're on 6bb tho and there are quite a few players similar stack sizers and shorter, then it does make sense to hold on and play very tight, but if it's just you and a couple of others on similar stack sizes then you definitely don't want to just be holding on. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Thanks for the post Mr Ivanovic.

My original thought was more that maybe people care less about laddering at the micro stakes... ie your average £2.30 BH player is less likely to be watching the lobby and other tables trying to eek out £2 min-cash and are much more likely to continue getting it all in with a fairly wide range trying to pick up bounties... and therefore I shouldn't be thinking to employ the bubble-play tactics that are recommended in various videos/strategy articles

From a life-roll perspective there can't be many people that play games and see that as a significant sum of cash vs £tens or £hundreds for a min cash in higher rolled games?

The comment in red is very true, playing £2.30 games leaves me with north of 1,000 buy-ins for that level lol... I only play this low as I try and improve... I'd get crucified if I jumped straight into the £22-£33 games!!
  • edited January 2015
    I'm sure your roll, last time you posted it, was around the 2.5k mark....how bloody expensive are the holidays you go on?! You not heard of Ryanair? ;)Not folding QQ in a Sky £11 BH is a sure fire way to increase your BR btw :) Have a great weekend, though something tells me it won't trump last weekend....eh jac?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Yeah I know that mental block needs to be moved somehow... you MTT players are so much bigger gamblers than all the low stakes cash nits!!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : Yeah I know that mental block needs to be moved somehow... you MTT players are so much bigger gamblers than all the low stakes cash nits!!
    Posted by shakinaces
    I'd probably compare the average £11 BH on Sky to 10nl on a Friday night. Make of that what you will!
  • edited January 2015
    I managed to play next to no poker for another weekend.

I don't recall much of Friday night. It escalated out of hand way too early.

In the middle of the night I managed to block the sink. I think the chips I got on the way home were poisoned.

Seeing double of everything made it too challenging to fix, although judging by the mess of random makeshift tools flung all over the bathroom when I went down the next morning, I evidently gave it a good go as a DIY plumber.

Any pokers over the weekend would have been a good way to play NLHE and feel like I was learning PLO.

Driving to see my Grandma on Saturday lunchtime was a bit of an adventure...

I want to claim that the hangover has finally gone, but will hold fire as I need to 'book the excuse' for another DTD disappointment.

Free-from-alcohol February is officially being brought forward a week. I will set some sort of poker volume challenge to accompany my new-member gym targets, which will hopefully mean I have to be sober at weekends in order to complete the challenge.

GL all Outlaws in the DTD tonight... if any of you are planning to get the hat-trick of wins, today would be a good time to do it :)
  • edited January 2015
    You don't remember sitting with various people at the 9handed 4nl table?

You slowrolled the pants off trip5 ;)
  • edited January 2015
    You don't remember sitting with various people at the 9handed 4nl table? You slowrolled the pants off trip5 ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Oh.

I did?

How bad was it?
  • edited January 2015
    Yup I was there, no idea what you had now but a proper slow/drunk roll! Don't worry I donated about 4/5 BI's shoving with poop :)

GL tonite matey 
  • edited January 2015
    Yup I was there, no idea what you had now but a proper slow/drunk roll! Don't worry I donated about 4/5 BI's shoving with poop :) GL tonite matey 
    Posted by samantha25
    My favourite hand was when I donk bet 99p into a 43p pot or w/e on a 9 9 x flop, you say ''you got the 9 H'' in chatbox and then go all in with A high.

Wp Sam ;)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables : My favourite hand was when I donk bet 99p into a 43p pot or w/e on a 9 9 x flop, you say ''you got the 9 H'' in chatbox and then go all in with A high. Wp Sam ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Hahahahaha... No slowrolls here! or folds :) I kinda remem that hand and calling you lots of **** words LOL.