You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables

Comments

• edited April 2014
    At 10nl just never fold KK pre for 100bb.

Hand 1 - Completely Standard.

Hand 2 - Jam is fine. Checking back just misses value a large % of the time and against villain's stack size you cant really b/f.

Hand 3 - Wp. Like calling the flop and then jamming the turn. There's lots of combos of Ad/Kd/lower sets that will call that your crushing. Ul this time.

Judging from the hands you have posted your being a bit harsh on yourself imo. Just because you lose a hand does not mean that you have not played it optimally :)

• edited April 2014
    Hand 1 is fine.

Just think how many times we will make money when he limp calls 50p, misses his dream flop, then folds:)

Hand 2

Only think I can think of is bet bigger otf. As said by Chris checking back misses out on a ton of value.

Hand 3

I think there is also an argument for trying to GII otf here.

You've made a tidy profit this week and seem to show a good understanding of the game, won't be long before NL10 is a distant memory and the limp calling with q6s is a lot more scarce:(

gl
  • edited April 2014
    Thanks for comments both.  FWIW I'm not beating myself up on hand 2 and 3... hand 3 I'd happily GII vs that opponent with worse than top set and hand 2 was just bad luck.  Was only really querying whether I should shove vs bet smaller as I may fold the worse hands that call (lone pair of aces) but open myself up to losing the max.

Do you really both think hand 1 is a snap call?  It just feels like I'm going to see trips here so much of the time that I'm just burning money... that one I'm still beating myself up a bit!

What I have learned to do more (thanks Larson) is to bump the bet sizes up against those sort of oppos that will call almost any bet to see a flop. That easily compensates for the times where they do flop the world and I have to fold / get stacked.
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £645.09

Surprised that I was only +£5 from the hour or so I played last night, especially as I only had 7 losses /> £1 and only one big loss (which I'll post after).

I guess the raise pre / c/f flops counted up.  Despite my nittiness advertising most of my raises were getting called in several spots and lots of hands I was 3 or 4-ways to the flop where, in the main, I couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo.

Maybe I need to tighten my range again, particularly from the earlier positions where maybe hands like KJ / KQo should be binned more when everyone's limped and I feel obliged to chuck in a chunky raise to take it down pre.  With the knowledge that I'm going to be oop to at least 1 oppo in the majority of occasions, perhaps it's safer to just see the free flop?

Similarly on the button, perhaps the non-suited ace-rag should be lost. Feels like anything less than AT, maybe A9 has dodgy reversed implied odds against people that limp/call ace-rag themselves.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: a little fish trying to out-swim the sharks...:
    Thanks for comments both.  FWIW I'm not beating myself up on hand 2 and 3... hand 3 I'd happily GII vs that opponent with worse than top set and hand 2 was just bad luck.  Was only really querying whether I should shove vs bet smaller as I may fold the worse hands that call (lone pair of aces) but open myself up to losing the max. Do you really both think hand 1 is a snap call?  It just feels like I'm going to see trips here so much of the time that I'm just burning money... that one I'm still beating myself up a bit! What I have learned to do more (thanks Larson) is to bump the bet sizes up against those sort of oppos that will call almost any bet to see a flop. That easily compensates for the times where they do flop the world and I have to fold / get stacked.
    Posted by shakinaces
    Yup it is imo. Villain only starts the hand with 50bb. They may do this with any 8, any PP and combo of 97. It also doesn't really make much sense for villain to be raising with a 6. The have pretty much got a lock on the hand. By raising they make you fold all your bluffs and only get paid when you have a hand.
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £686.98 monthly points up to 1,257

There's my run good!

In spite of a bizarre CAP table costing me a few quid and a poor read costing me a stack when I should have folded with about 20BB or so invested, my reading seemed to be spot on yesterday.

I'd like to post some hands, but still can't get IE installed on my laptop and obviously not at work until Tues now.  I think the most bizarre one I ran into yesterday was an 3b shove with KK that drew a call with a PP, 66 I think, then another call from 52o... you can guess which hand won! That table was very much one where you would happily reload and be getting your chips in with alarming frequency lol :)

It's quite rewarding when you are reviewing the hand history in-play and almost always seem to see the oppo in the range you'd put them on - if only the game was always this easy!

This is the most points (ergo hands of poker) I've rocked through in a month since the rake race I took part in back in January 2013.

They speak!

I was a bit shocked last night to be at a table with two NL10 regs that were typing in the chatbox for the first time ever. One in particular who I figure must be grinding really solid hours was bemoaning their current bad variance.

I probably naively thought that at this level the variance would never really be THAT brutal seeing as you playing so many recs, but it's an eye opener to hear that even the best at this level can't ALWAYS beat the game.
  • edited April 2014
    WHo was it?

Name them!

It was pretty funny one time a total was nit was moaning about how bad they were running.

It must suck 2 play 2 hands per hour and still lose:((

• edited April 2014
    WHo was it? Name them! It was pretty funny one time a total was nit was moaning about how bad they were running. It must suck 2 play 2 hands per hour and still lose:((
    Posted by LARSON7
    ha ha I couldn't be doing that, bit like rubbing salt in their downswing wounds!

The downswings can't really be that much at NL10 though, can they?

I mean, at NL10 the regs (I assume) have a greater comparative edge vs the oppos than, say, at NL50 or higher where the skill differences are much slimmer.

Would be surprised if a vaguely competent microstakes player could suffer much more than a 20BI downswing at worst vs 100BI being more than possible at the higher stakes?
  • edited April 2014
    Well it's been a mixed bag of things over the last couple of days

18th April (sesh 1) - Bankroll £660.31

Horrible times.

One pot with AA UTG I raised, got 3b and a caller, nice, raised to like 3.30 and went 3-way to the flop.

234 rainbow.  Good enough.  1/2 pot bet and figure I've got other big pairs coming along for the ride.  1 fold, 1 call.

6 on the turn and I have about 1/5 pot behind and shove it in.

Called by the big blind with Q5.  NH.  GG. FFS.

Next orbit I get KK UTG and lump it to 6x seeing as how the BB is paying to see every flop.

T84 rainbow.  Full pot cbet.  Called

8 turn.  Full pot.  Re-raised all-in.  Sigh call.  68 vs KK.  NH. VWP. GG. FML.

I chipped away to be a BI up elsewhere, but then a pretty daft semi-bluff spot cost me another stack. 100% poor play me for that one, face palm and log off to get some grub.
  • edited April 2014
    18th April pm 2 Bankroll £686.17

That's more like it - didn't seem to be many regs around the tables last night.. guess I was one of the few lonely degens that didn't have family to be with on good friday.

I had pretty sick sunburn by this stage after being at a BBQ so wasn't feeling my best. Turned to whisky for medicinal purposes after a half decent early run where I managed to get paid by some 1/2 stacks when I flopped sets.

A Benromach 10-year. Can highly recommend.  Alas the house is now void of all single malt :(

Which in turn made me think it was a good idea to be listening to some Meatloaf on youtube.

I was happy to drop to one loose table at that point and play for fun, which it is when you also leave 2.5 BI up.

Were it not for having a punt at mini UKOPS 1 and being utterly card dead, I'd have actually been a bit up for the day.  Ho hum.
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £727.02 pts 1,428

Didn't have that much open in the way of cash tables, as I traversed various freerolls and micro bounty hunters to try and finally wake up after a fairly slow and sleepy day.

Ran like filth in the freerolls, a couple of them I didn't even last an orbit with AKs being cracked by J9o and QQ going down to (I think) K8o

The 6.05pm 2.30 BH was good to me though.  After nearly going out when someone flopped trips vs KK, the river came to my rescue and I found myself at the FT.  A quick reboot of the software and close of cash tables to get over the lag and it was soon HU with fairly equal stacks.

Alas, QQ ran into KK and that was GG me with a total of £30.32.

And the cash...

Just kept running into big hands on the 2 NL10 tables I was playing.  Summed up when I flopped a small set before the 2 overs on the flop paired on the turn and river and I was forced to c/f to an all in.

Also lost a stack after calling a reg BU 3b with 44 (had been cold call from blinds so thought the odds were there to set mine).  c/r the inevitable c-bet on a flop of 567 (trying to semi-bluff rep I'd hit my set mine) - turn 8 (bingo) - reg flips over 99 *sigh*

Deserved punishment for not just folding a cr@p hand to a 3 bet.

Luckily it was my turn for hands to hold up on a CAP table, which along with a pretty soft NL8 table meant I'm on a break from cash just over £15 up.

And the bonus...

I foolishly stuck a couple of quid in the bandits while walking about in town... I'm an idiot, first time in a couple of months and I really need to stop.

Binked a couple of big spins and walked away a bit over £300 up.

If I can just stay away forever now, I get to go out on a high.

Plus 

Forest actually won a game. Unbelievable, Birmingham must be utter tripe.

The worst part is that now the play-offs are a possibility again... which means more pain when we completely butter it up in the next fortnight :(
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £727.44

well that's a lucky escape... dunno how I end up in profit from that lol.

Went through 4 all-in turns only to get 4-outered on the river in the space of about 5 minutes.  When you are raising KK to 6x pre and getting outdrawn by 72 you know it's not going to be a great night lol

Had another spot of NL20 (1 table) which was going alright, but alas a couple of weaker players felted (alas not to me) and almost instantly it was just me and DTM sat there, so I left after barely 30mins or so.

Is that standard for NL20, ie get in quick, felt one player, all leave and look for the next table?
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £760.17 pts 1,556

Very much a game of two halves yesterday.

Session one I was only 3-tabling NL10 but there was a distinct absence of regs (can't think why that would be on Easter Sunday...)

Apart from having DTM on all my tables, the rest of the play was... let's call it creative.  Walked away with more than a double stack on each of the three tables and +£52 total.

And then

Couldn't pick a hand when I came back on post-EPT viewing. When I tried to make stuff happen I was always running into a brick wall. Over the space of 90 mins or so, with lots of folding, I only tried to play back against against a button open twice (with 78o both times) and faced an immediate chunky 4b both times.

Just one of them sessions (-£20 including a couple of micro BH) and left as soon as the two maddest players from my tables left. Certainly can't grumble with the day's efforts though!!

And now...

Time for a BHM acca flier on the footy. Still got my money from the random texter's horses so it feels like a freeroll.

It's a while since I've taken footy gambling seriously, but I remember one of the statistical anomalies where teams that played 2 games in 3 days over holiday periods (vs teams that had an extra day rest and played 2 in 4) would struggle, particularly further down the leagues where small squads make it hard to rotate the team.

So on that logic I have a slightly odd line up of 8 games, mainly asian handicap as I don't fancy some of the teams outright.

I tell you what though, I always feel dirty when I include Derby to win. Painfully does feel like a no brainer today though (he says, hoping that jinxes them and confirms Burnley's promotion)

• edited April 2014
    Bankroll £765.31

Pretty much the tale of two hands in my short stint at the tables yesterday. I was playing terribly so decided to pack in and visit friends instead.

Max value from AA vs a maniac and a probably dubious river call vs a shoved busted OESD meant I ended with a small profit from what would otherwise have been a deserved losing session.

Having maniacs at the table should make for decent sessions, but I can't seem to get the adjustments right here - both in terms of playing the table gamber and in respect to the altered dynamic of other players at the table. Worst part is that I don't even know if that is because I'm getting too aggressive or too passive... will be searching for articles that can maybe help clarify this.

Footy pain

Got 6/8 for a whole £4.94 profit on the footy. In retrospect I probably should have just lumped on the better value-priced of the 8, with Rochdale probably being the pick and Blackburn not far behind - especially after Birmingham showed how bad they are when getting beat by Forest on Saturday.

Shockingly two wins on the bounce mean that Forest are right back in the play-off hunt now. I'd finally resigned myself to the season being over last weekend, look forward to a summer and hope Psycho has a flying start to the season next year... but now it seems there is guaranteed to be at least one more painful twist of the knife to come, be that a last-day disappointment against Brighton or, given our rank terrible play-off record, another painful game at that lacking Pride Park.
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £742.21.

Mixture of bad play and every flip going the way of my oppo made for a bad session.  After the last flush draw got there on the river for another -£5 I gave up and watched Jose's parked bus on the telly instead.

The hand below sums up the 'bad play' part of things.

Poker 101 - never go broke in limped pots.

One day I'll learn to live by this and stop spewing money.

I'd normally remove names, but have left in to try and explain some of the madness. 

I didn't really want to raise my 22 from the blinds and face a back-raise (?) which wouldn't be entirely unexpected here.  Appreciate that I probably should take either a raise or fold line though.

With that many players seeing the flop I opted to donk as it was almost certain I'd get some money in the pot and didn't want to give free draws to a flush (or possibly straight).

Then it went nuts.  The hand explains it better:
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.36
    Rubbernix Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £22.15
      Your hole cards

COBRA1990 Call  £0.10 £0.25 £6.54
    BAGGPUSS Call  £0.10 £0.35 £8.30
    Beatdown Fold     
    habbin Call  £0.10 £0.45 £10.89
    shakinaces Call  £0.05 £0.50 £11.31
    Rubbernix Check     
    Flop

• J

shakinaces Bet  £0.40 £0.90 £10.91
    Rubbernix Fold     
    COBRA1990 Call  £0.40 £1.30 £6.14
    BAGGPUSS Call  £0.40 £1.70 £7.90
    habbin Raise  £2.00 £3.70 £8.89
    shakinaces Call  £1.60 £5.30 £9.31
    COBRA1990 Call  £1.60 £6.90 £4.54
    BAGGPUSS Call  £1.60 £8.50 £6.30
    Turn

shakinaces Bet  £4.00 £12.50 £5.31
    COBRA1990 All-in  £4.54 £17.04 £0.00
    BAGGPUSS Call  £4.54 £21.58 £1.76
    habbin All-in  £8.89 £30.47 £0.00
    shakinaces All-in  £5.31 £35.78 £0.00
    BAGGPUSS All-in  £1.76 £37.54 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £0.42 £37.12 £0.42
    shakinaces Show

COBRA1990 Show
    • A

BAGGPUSS Show
    • J

habbin Show

River

BAGGPUSS Win Straight to the 6 £30.74  £30.74
    habbin Win Three 3s £4.98  £4.98
    I had a pretty large inkling that habbin had the overset, but I'm no Phil Laak and couldn't bring myself to fold. In my head I convinced myself that he was the one trying to squeeze the MP caller and our friend Baggpuss with Ac4c/Ac2c/Ac5c sort of hand that had reasonable equity if I came along for the ride.

Not quite sure why I didn't just pile it in here, irrespective of the final outcome.

Obviously the runner runner straight was always going to come in ahead of the flush, or paired board :)

I think I need to just start binning the smallest pairs unless I'm in position and using them as blind steal/maybe flop OK sort of hands.
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £742.21. Mixture of bad play and every flip going the way of my oppo made for a bad session.  After the last flush draw got there on the river for another -£5 I gave up and watched Jose's parked bus on the telly instead. The hand below sums up the 'bad play' part of things. Poker 101 - never go broke in limped pots. One day I'll learn to live by this and stop spewing money. I'd normally remove names, but have left in to try and explain some of the madness.  I didn't really want to raise my 22 from the blinds and face a back-raise (?) which wouldn't be entirely unexpected here.  Appreciate that I probably should take either a raise or fold line though. With that many players seeing the flop I opted to donk as it was almost certain I'd get some money in the pot and didn't want to give free draws to a flush (or possibly straight). Then it went nuts.  The hand explains it better: Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance shakinaces Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £11.36 Rubbernix Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £22.15   Your hole cards 2 2       COBRA1990 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £6.54 BAGGPUSS Call   £0.10 £0.35 £8.30 Beatdown Fold         habbin Call   £0.10 £0.45 £10.89 shakinaces Call   £0.05 £0.50 £11.31 Rubbernix Check         Flop     2 J 3       shakinaces Bet   £0.40 £0.90 £10.91 Rubbernix Fold         COBRA1990 Call   £0.40 £1.30 £6.14 BAGGPUSS Call   £0.40 £1.70 £7.90 habbin Raise   £2.00 £3.70 £8.89 shakinaces Call   £1.60 £5.30 £9.31 COBRA1990 Call   £1.60 £6.90 £4.54 BAGGPUSS Call   £1.60 £8.50 £6.30 Turn     4       shakinaces Bet   £4.00 £12.50 £5.31 COBRA1990 All-in   £4.54 £17.04 £0.00 BAGGPUSS Call   £4.54 £21.58 £1.76 habbin All-in   £8.89 £30.47 £0.00 shakinaces All-in   £5.31 £35.78 £0.00 BAGGPUSS All-in   £1.76 £37.54 £0.00 shakinaces Unmatched bet   £0.42 £37.12 £0.42 shakinaces Show 2 2       COBRA1990 Show 9 A       BAGGPUSS Show 5 J       habbin Show 3 3       River     6       BAGGPUSS Win Straight to the 6 £30.74   £30.74 habbin Win Three 3s £4.98   £4.98 I had a pretty large inkling that habbin had the overset, but I'm no Phil Laak and couldn't bring myself to fold. In my head I convinced myself that he was the one trying to squeeze the MP caller and our friend Baggpuss with Ac4c/Ac2c/Ac5c sort of hand that had reasonable equity if I came along for the ride. Not quite sure why I didn't just pile it in here, irrespective of the final outcome. Obviously the runner runner straight was always going to come in ahead of the flush, or paired board :) I think I need to just start binning the smallest pairs unless I'm in position and using them as blind steal/maybe flop OK sort of hands.
    Posted by shakinaces

I was going to post this hand!  I think  calling pre is fine and playing the 22 as a set mining hand. IF i were you i would have also donk led the flop but then 3bet jammed. Having just called i think the rest of the hand plays its self really i dont think i could really fold a set on the turn as the only hands that are really beating you are 33 and A5, i've never got JJ here.

I was gutted about the river card by the way!
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Shaky

I gather you're a Forest fan?
    I'll be there Saturday to see them against the mighty Cherries.
    Should be a good game.
  • edited April 2014
    Hand above. 

No way need to raise. Calling fine. I would call here with everything up to and including 1010. Why? We would have to play an inflated pot OOP against probable multiple callers. Donking is easily best as we are getting called/raised a lot. Probably looking to get it all in here. Never flatting. 
  • edited April 2014
    As played, fine until habbin raises. For me its a shove over there as the board isnt totally dry.

Fwiw though you're never gonna get the legend that is baggpuss off j5 here, even if you shove:)
  • edited April 2014

Cheers for the feedback - yeah I knew it should have gone in the flop.

I think the only thing remotely in my mind at that stage was that there must be a flush draw out there, so was happy (ish) to see the turn first... then OOP I was uncertain whether I wanted to check (and maybe let the FD get there cheaply) or donk out (and possibly make the FD fold rather than semi-bluff me)... given there were 3 in the pot still I took the donk route, but this was probably also flawed.

Bankroll £732.86

I literally facepalmed myself last night when I dumped 78BB after flopping a set of 33s from the BB and betting every street only to get AI raised on the river to find that the second 7 which had arrived on the river had given the button a higher full house (7s over Aces).  I was convinced he he had a 7 but just didn't think he'd have limped the button with an A :(

I'm just going to instamuck next time and stop being a spew monkey.

I'm not sure if this is bad play or just coincidence or... ???

Going back through my HH today I also looked at all the smaller losses, rather than just the 10BB losses.

I don't know how much there is in this, but there were a lot of hands I didn't cbet.  Now I used to bet close to 100% irrespective of opponents and that was a major leak, but possibly now I've rebalanced too far the other way.

The only thing is that checking out the flops and the fact many of the pots were 3 or 4 way to the board, I'm not sure I'd have gotten very far unless I triple-barrelled (mostly as a bluff given I'm missing the flops) - and against most micro players I'm not sure that's a good decision, especially those hands I'm OOP.

I read an article in poker player this month by Patrick Leonard which suggested a cbet (when missed / weak hit) only when there are no more than 2 cards between 8 and Q on the flop - which sort of makes sense - although maybe of less value at micro, given the 'odd' ranges compared to what you may see at higher stakes.  Many of my flops yesterday seemed to fall into this category.

• edited April 2014

And then...

Two other things I noticed which may need tweaks:

1) There are lots of pots where I raised pre, whiffed the flop but cbet, got called, checked a blank turn, folded to a river raise.

A lot of these were vs weaker players... I can't quite bring myself (yet) to station down with A-/K-high or underpair to the board too often, but maybe I need to.

I think I double (and triple) barrel more than most at these levels, but am not sure it's a sensible tactic with so many people happily calling to see out their draws. But perhaps I am just giving too much credit when I have no hand and face a pattern of call flop/check turn/bet river.

2) Slowing down on turn scare cards with stronger hands.

I get and use (in a fashion) the concept of bluffing/semi-bluffing turn cards when you have the initiative in the pot - ie raise pre, cbet flop, barrell turn when an A / K falls as most oppo will recognise you would likely have raised pre with one of these cards and are now less happy about their pocket 2s.

I wonder whether I need to recognise this in reverse when I have a big hand, ie set, 2 pr, or when I have actually improved with my AK/AQ hands etc - as I may be more likely to get value from my hand if I rep being scared of the card (as I would if I had pocket 10s, Js etc).

I do seem to have a lot of hands where I get one street of value and then lose my way en route to value town through being too greedy on the turn.

Obviously this isn't something I'd be trying if flush and/or straight draws were evolving on the board.

I wonder whether over the longer term this sort of approach may mean bigger wins to offset the times I allow them to hit a river that beats me.

• edited April 2014
    Bankroll £759.92 pts 1,714

Only a very short two-table session yesterday.  Had a brief stint at an NL20 table due to there being an option to sit in position to two players I've played a bit at various micro levels from NL4-NL10 and couldn't really turn that down.

Left the table as soon as they were both felted (yeah, I'm a filthy bumhunter) as although I'd had some good cards vs the 3 regs at the table, I was evidently going to be the fish from that point and didn't fancy donating my winnings.

Had a great spot on the NL10 table I had running parallel, but things to do so broke even after a bit of an early loss on that table.

One hand that bemused me a little, in a good way, was how I got a fold here.  Probably should have smooth called turn (in retrospect) but thought the oppo would be pot committed with c75% of stack in middle.

Notes suggested the donk would be an A or Q (most likely TP) so really surprised that it must have been a double barrell bluff to then fold for the last £6.90 with so much in the pot!
    reg1Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £23.06
    reg2Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £23.80
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

microCall  £0.20 £0.50 £11.25
    reg3Fold     
    villainCall  £0.20 £0.70 £21.30
    shakinaces Raise  £1.00 £1.70 £20.55
    reg1Call  £0.90 £2.60 £22.16
    reg2Fold     
    microFold     
    villainCall  £0.80 £3.40 £20.50
    Flop

• Q
    • A

reg1Check     
    villainBet  £3.40 £6.80 £17.10
    shakinaces Call  £3.40 £10.20 £17.15
    reg1Fold     
    Turn

villainBet  £10.20 £20.40 £6.90
    shakinaces All-in  £17.15 £37.55 £0.00
    villainFold     
    shakinaces Muck     
    shakinaces Win  £29.07  £29.07
    shakinaces Return  £6.95 £1.53 £36.02
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Shaky I gather you're a Forest fan? I'll be there Saturday to see them against the mighty Cherries. Should be a good game.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Hi Vespa.

Yeah normally a good game, Bournemouth have always seemed to play football 'the right way' from what I've seen of them the past few years.

The last time I visited the Fitness First Arena (or whatever it was called at the time) was during our League 1 days. Was a bit odd as they seemed to have sold more tickets than they had seats, so there were loads of away fans stood/sat in the aisles and a 90-minute long argument with stewards that we had to take seats (that didn't exist).

Also nearly lost my head in exchange for the half time pie - the shutters just auto came down dead on 4pm while I was leaning on the counter... that nearly caused another battle between fans and officials as loads of people had their money / beer / pie the other side of the shutters.

Don't really fancy us in this one tbh, but then we always like to make things as painful as possible... so will probably fluke a win in order to set up a far greater disappointment vs Brighton or Derby :/
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £852.69 pts > 2,000

I'm a little disappointed updating this today, after never really getting going on Sunday and losing a big all-in during my brief one-table NL20 foray to end the day down around £15.

But then I look at my bankroll and I'm nearly £100 up still from a weekend where I didn't exactly put in huge volume... so can't exactly be too down on myself!

Friday night I felt absolutely in the zone and made some enjoyable hero calls and (what I believe were) hero folds. Helped that there weren't exactly world beaters at some of my tables, but a sweet feeling all the same.

I think this is possibly my biggest single pot loss on Sky, but can console myself that I don't think I played the hand poorly.  The villain had been very tight in my time at the table whereas I'd benefitted from being in position vs the weakest player and had been opening and three betting a lot (by my standards).  The worst part was that the weak players had just all left the table and I was thinking about quitting anyway, but gave it 'one last orbit'... doh!

Can't grumble though, it was my turn to bad beat someone with 22 earlier at the table when we both flopped sets and I doubled up.
    xxxSmall blind  £0.10 £0.10 £28.52
    xxxBig blind  £0.20 £0.30 £17.77
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • K

xxxFold     
    xxxFold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £51.18
    villainCall  £0.60 £1.50 £22.58
    xxxFold     
    xxxCall  £0.40 £1.90 £17.37
    Flop

• A
    • J

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £1.40 £3.30 £49.78
    villainRaise  £3.75 £7.05 £18.83
    xxxFold     
    shakinaces Raise  £5.30 £12.35 £44.48
    villainAll-in  £18.83 £31.18 £0.00
    shakinaces Call  £15.88 £47.06 £28.60
    shakinaces Show
    • Q
    • K

villainShow
    • J
    • Q

Turn

River

villainWin Flush to the Ace £45.26  £45.26
  • edited April 2014
    And yeah... let's not mention the football.

Only good part was a few quid profit after post-Moyes United easily covered the handicap and yesterday's results increased the odds of Liverpool not winning the title... here's hoping that Citeh don't go and throw it away, again.

Poker Player

Forgot to add that I enjoyed my standard monthly wander to town to grab Poker Player mag and read over a coffee. 

Good article by Simon Hemsworth (I think?) about playing 'awkward' AK/AQ and JJ type hands... think this proved a help over the weekend.

Also a useful thinking piece on bluffing calling stations, well timed as I was mulling over my play against these oppos last week and thinking about how I could do more than just waiting for hands and full-potting for value!

Always a good way to waste a couple of quid. They still haven't printed my question for Sofia Lovgren though.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: a little fish trying to out-swim the sharks... : Hi Vespa. Yeah normally a good game, Bournemouth have always seemed to play football 'the right way' from what I've seen of them the past few years. The last time I visited the Fitness First Arena (or whatever it was called at the time) was during our League 1 days. Was a bit odd as they seemed to have sold more tickets than they had seats, so there were loads of away fans stood/sat in the aisles and a 90-minute long argument with stewards that we had to take seats (that didn't exist). Also nearly lost my head in exchange for the half time pie - the shutters just auto came down dead on 4pm while I was leaning on the counter... that nearly caused another battle between fans and officials as loads of people had their money / beer / pie the other side of the shutters. Don't really fancy us in this one tbh, but then we always like to make things as painful as possible... so will probably fluke a win in order to set up a far greater disappointment vs Brighton or Derby :/
    Posted by shakinaces
    Was a great game :-))))
  • edited April 2014

Aye great result for you mob... shame you can't quite make the play-offs as I can't really support any of the teams in the 4 spots currently... 3 lots of parachute payment-funded strong squads and the sheep... ah well... as long as we still have derby days next season, good luck to one of the 3 rich kids getting back to the promised land :)

• edited April 2014
    Bankroll £866.23

Probably should have been higher, got suckered again a few times when an oppo obviously had flopped trips but I paid them off with an overpair.

Wasn't the longest of sessions but seemed to be more active than other recent games, lots of three-betting and even the odd four-bet bluff. Not sure how clever it is to be doing this at micro cash, but it does make things fun :)

Re the hand below - I had this exact same position on the flop on two tables last night - alas I (over) hit on the one where I was playing for about £3 and completely whiffed the one where I was stacked for £10 - damn you variance!

Another one... I can't believe how many of these have occurred at my tables in the last year!
    fivefish02 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £2.84
    bigbow1507 Big blind  £0.05 £0.10 £2.16
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • J

shakinaces Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £4.80
    diamonds28 Call  £0.20 £0.50 £4.39
    MADSTAD Call  £0.20 £0.70 £3.13
    dizzy887 Fold     
    fivefish02 Call  £0.15 £0.85 £2.69
    bigbow1507 Fold     
    Flop

• K

fivefish02 Check     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.50 £1.35 £4.30
    diamonds28 Fold     
    MADSTAD All-in  £3.13 £4.48 £0.00
    fivefish02 Fold     
    shakinaces Call  £2.63 £7.11 £1.67
    shakinaces Show
    • A
    • J

MADSTAD Show
    • Q
    • K

Turn

• Q

River

shakinaces Win Royal Flush £6.57  £8.24
  • edited April 2014
    Bankroll £775.81

Well that was just plain car crash stuff yesterday, guess I was due one of those to drag me back down to earth!

I've played worse and won recently. just one of those days where everyone hit when I got it in, happened to have the nuts when ever I tried to bluff my was to winning pots and all the flops seemed to be the sort of 9TJ that either made my good hands look weak or completely missed my speculative hands.

Ah well, next time!!

Daft part is, I don't even recall any hands that were obvious learning points to chuck at Lambert's generous coaching offer, but will have a look back over some of the spots to double check.
  • edited April 2014
    Oh OK - I had forgotten I spewed nearly a stack in this spot.

This was the only time I wasn't a believer last night and got appropriately punished!
    BAGGPUSS Small blind £0.05 £0.05 £7.67
    bartoniron Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.23
      Your hole cards

shakinaces Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £9.93
    JRH2424 Call  £0.30 £0.75 £9.00
    Tsaaaar Fold     
    BAGGPUSS Raise  £0.55 £1.30 £7.12
    bartoniron Fold     
    shakinaces Call  £0.30 £1.60 £9.63
    JRH2424 Call  £0.30 £1.90 £8.70
    Flop