You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Bankroll £782.04 end month points >2,200

I don't have poker spreadsheets at work, but a small + on the final day sees me nicely up for the month and, I guess more importantly, the poker points being well in excess of 2k is a good barometer of having played a good wedge this month.

Between a couple of micro videos and lots of re-reads of poker player strategy sections + hand posting in the poker clinic and occasional online poker strat article has hopefully started to tweak my game and the positive month reflects that.

Am starting to now collate some hands together to run through with Lambert in the next couple of weeks. Trying to find generic spots as much as possible which will hopefully remove a few -EV spots from my game.

One more time...

I played this poorly and got lucky... but yet another RF... mental!  (was kicking about at NL4 for a bit because there were zero seats at anything higher unless I fast-tracked to like NL40!)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    mmkkmmkk Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.72
    chokdee Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £2.11
    WADDY1964 Big blind  £0.04 £0.10 £2.16
      Your hole cards
    • J

jimmyluv Call  £0.04 £0.14 £0.78
    hodson1948 Fold     
    WADDY1964 Check     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.16 £0.30 £7.97
    mmkkmmkk Call  £0.14 £0.44 £2.58
    chokdee Fold     
    jimmyluv Call  £0.12 £0.56 £0.66
    WADDY1964 Fold     
    Flop

• J
    • K

mmkkmmkk Check     
    jimmyluv Check     
    shakinaces Check     
    Turn

• Q

mmkkmmkk Check     
    jimmyluv Bet  £0.56 £1.12 £0.10
    shakinaces Call  £0.56 £1.68 £7.41
    mmkkmmkk Fold     
    River

• A

jimmyluv All-in  £0.10 £1.78 £0.00
    shakinaces Call  £0.10 £1.88 £7.31
    jimmyluv Show
    • K

shakinaces Show
    • J

shakinaces Win Royal Flush £1.73  £9.04
  • edited May 2014

Not me, but made me chuckle at the tables last night...

ChatBoxWarrior had been going crazy over a 60p pot they'd lost "too many lucky **** on this fixed site" being one of the many articulate and well thought comments popping up in the chatbox, simulatenously while playing out this hand.... lots more bile spewing about after the flop... then kindly letting us know all money would be withdrawn to move to another site (good luck with that!)

I might have to start being more moany in the chatbox, just in case! :)

jonah54 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.26
    shakinaces Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £5.02
      Your hole cards
    • A

Diva34 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £2.99
    tdmac Fold     
    ChatBoxWarriorAll-in  £2.04 £2.26 £0.00
    jamboGJ Fold     
    jonah54 Fold     
    shakinaces Fold     
    Diva34 Call  £1.88 £4.14 £1.11
    Diva34 Show

ChatBoxWarriorShow
    • Q

Flop

Turn

• J

River

ChatBoxWarriorWin Straight to the Queen £3.82  £3.82
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £751.87

Nothing much to add. Haven't played a huge amount, but when I have it has continued to see the monies leak from my roll!

On more than one occasion it has gotten to the point that I've felt it better to shut down and go and strip more 1970s wallpaper from my house.  I've never tried the other, but think wallpaper stripping must be more boring than watching paint dry.

Gonna need to work on this poker though... turns out 100+ year old walls don't look so good... any plasterers that happen upon this thread and can do a SkyPoker discount rate, please get in touch :)

Very little poker in the next week. Stag party in Bristol starts in a couple of hours, birthday party in London to get to for Monday then two mental days of work before a Thursday night party at Gleneagles / hangover nursing on the plane back Friday. As well as plasterers, anyone with a spare liver, I encourage you to get in touch!
  • edited May 2014

No updates, just been destroying my body and now needing a couple of days of water and healthier food. At a guess, the terrible diet of the last 4 days will have a negative impact on my poker.

I'll test that theory when I take a break in paper stripping to spin an hour of cash tonight and look to pick up 2 more spots to throw onto the BBV section for Mr Lambert180 to have a look over.

If you happen upon this post Paul, my 8 hands will make their way on to the boards at some point tomorrow. Probably early evening, given I should probably be wholly focussed on various work based presentations during the daytime (joy).

• edited May 2014

Bankroll £719.83

Very little poker playing since the last post. After the stag / birthday party weekend last, I had a short stop at Gleneagles last week and had no inclination to think about firing up the laptop in place of enjoying the amenities up there!

The few short sessions I did fit in during breaks from DIY were incredibly depressing and made me wish I'd stuck to the decorating!!  Very much a mixture of poor play and poor timing, running aces into sets as often as I was trying to push through a bluff and getting called down by 4th pair.

I think I need to seriously revisit how aggressive I play hands as I must have gotten TOO loose and need to rebalance back to my nitty tendancies.  Consider giving up all flops with zero equity (ie stop cbetting completely when I whiff) and reduce my opening hands from button and cutoff significantly (I already play very tight in early position, a hangover from my poker career starting at 10-max tables), as well as cutting out turn and river barrels - as it seems people see me as a maniac and I'm therefore going to get looked up by any pair / some A-high hands.

The flip side, if I do play super-snug it hopefully gets me paid off quite regularly for the next few weeks!

• edited May 2014
    Bankroll £707.88

Another very sigh night, even though I held back from pushing my luck with big turn / river bluffs and stuck to playing tighter hands.

Maybe I was being bullied, but was getting 3 bet pre and c/r on flops by otherwise passive players and making lots (possibly too many) sigh folds.

That said, playing so tight was pretty much keeping me break-even in the main. The big dip coming after I got it all in on the flop with middle set (vs AA) only for the turn to bring an ace.

With the losses approaching nearly 20 NL10 BIs since my bankroll peaked a couple of weeks back, the mental side of things is definitely being tested! Will continue to review hands and go back over some basic strat articles before powering on through - I must be due a session soon where I don't make too many noddy errors / fluke some pots :)
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £712.05 - pts 319 (May has been way too busy away from Poker!)

I feared it was going to be another drip-drip-drip of a session last night, but a double up at NL8 when I already had chipped up to over £16 from smaller pots was just enough to see my mark a small profit for the first time in several days (inner whoop!)

The second hand of the night made me worry that my judgement may be a little off again, it always feels light getting it in pre with JJ when you have committed so little to the pot at that stage - especially when recent history tells me that people at these levels just love to do this with monsters :(
    shakinaces Small blind £0.05 £0.05 £4.95
    xxxBig blind  £0.05 £0.10 £4.00
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

wallace227 Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.15 £0.25 £4.80
    xxxAll-in  £4.00 £4.25 £0.00
    shakinaces Call  £3.85 £8.10 £0.95
    shakinaces Show
    • J
    • J

xxxShow
    • A
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

xxxWin Pair of Aces £7.49  £7.49
    I pretty much insta-called, but maybe should learn to give it a bit more thought unless I'm sat there with at least KK myself.

Then the other two bigger hits were the one bluff I tried all night, cleverly picking the time the button actually had the goods (doh). They'd opened most times it was folded to them so weren't playing a super-tight range... maybe if I'd braved the third barrel (which I'm trying to stop doing!) it may have got a fold, with any J a reasonable part of my range?
    shakinaces Small blind £0.05 £0.05 £12.21
    KoperKys Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.37
      Your hole cards

elbows7 Fold     
    mousieboy1 Fold     
    xxxRaise  £0.30 £0.45 £24.78
    shakinaces Call  £0.25 £0.70 £11.96
    KoperKys Fold     
    Flop

• Q

shakinaces Check     
    xxxBet  £0.35 £1.05 £24.43
    shakinaces Raise  £1.00 £2.05 £10.96
    xxxCall  £0.65 £2.70 £23.78
    Turn

• A

shakinaces Bet  £1.60 £4.30 £9.36
    xxxCall  £1.60 £5.90 £22.18
    River

shakinaces Check     
    xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Show

xxxShow
    • K
    • K

xxxWin Pair of Kings £5.45  £27.63
    Then the other hand I physically slapped myself for lol - should have folded pre. Shouldn't have gotten it in on flop. Apart from the hand they did have, there was also a pretty big chance that they had a rag Adxd which would have left me drawing just as thin.

shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.95
    xxxBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £16.59
    denton2332 Big blind  £0.10 £0.25 £7.90
      Your hole cards
    • K

denton2332 Check     
    2scoops43 Call  £0.10 £0.35 £11.22
    lurcha Call  £0.10 £0.45 £21.91
    shakinaces Call  £0.05 £0.50 £9.90
    xxxCheck     
    Flop

shakinaces Check     
    xxxBet  £0.30 £0.80 £16.29
    denton2332 Fold     
    2scoops43 Call  £0.30 £1.10 £10.92
    lurcha Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £1.30 £2.40 £8.60
    elbows7 Raise  £3.50 £5.90 £12.79
    2scoops43 Fold     
    shakinaces All-in  £8.60 £14.50 £0.00
    xxxCall  £6.10 £20.60 £6.69
    shakinaces Show
    • K

xxxShow
    • J

Turn

River

xxxWin Straight to the Jack £19.25  £25.94
    Aside from these, everyone seemed to have the nuts all the time lol... unless the game has just madly changed in the past couple of weeks.  The amount of time I was getting 3b pre or c/r on flop was unreal. Part of me thinks I'm being exploited, most of me thinks that the general passiveness of most of the oppos mean that I'm always choosing to raise when someone has a monster / cbet everytime someone has smashed the flop :/
  • edited May 2014
    Hand 1 - I would be calling there to at these levels, just UL, unless you got notes on the person
    Hand 2 - Needed a bet on the river, if your going to bluff you gotta go all the way saaannnnn
    Hand 3 - UL again flopped a monster but nothing came from it
  • edited May 2014
    Cheers Alex - still not sure that hand 3 is just UL - not sure it is ever going to be a good long term ploy to flick in the extra money, out of position, with a hand that could easily end up dominated (like this) or not get paid (ie if the flop was same ranks, but all diamonds, the villain isn't going to double me up).

In short, I need to a) stop thinking it's OK to make up the small blind and b) stop going broke in limped pots!
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: a little fish trying to out-swim the sharks...:
    Cheers Alex - still not sure that hand 3 is just UL - not sure it is ever going to be a good long term ploy to flick in the extra money, out of position, with a hand that could easily end up dominated (like this) or not get paid (ie if the flop was same ranks, but all diamonds, the villain isn't going to double me up). In short, I need to a) stop thinking it's OK to make up the small blind and b) stop going broke in limped pots!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Even if your up against  AA its pretty much a coin flip, i guess it depends if you fancy a gamble or no, i like gambling :) 
  • edited May 2014
    Shakin, if you can honestly tell me that you didn't get a little semi when you flopped the straight and flush draws, then you're a liar! ;)

Yes, maybe we shouldn't flick in the extra 5p (though I deffo would cos I'm a big whale). Yes, in limped pots we probably shouldn't be shovelling in money. But.....sometimes the deck just slaps us in the chops and all the money has to go in. This is why we should have a bankroll and be playing within it comfortably, like you do.

And I also like to gamble ;)
  • edited May 2014
    Hand 1: I'm prob folding to most players but the call is t the worst. 
    Hand 2: Have to bet river when taking this line and if you had bombed river like you should your getting folds from a lot of hands. Like KK! I certainly would have sigh folded.
    Hand 3: can't grumble. Without the nuts this is as good as it gets. We either fold or get allin as calling is a no no! Getting it in is best IMO. 
  • edited May 2014
    Hi Shaky,

Haven't played much at all myself this last week or so coz of work commitments and saw you're little post about cbetting.

In general you can't just cf if you miss and bet when you hit - even the blindest of opponents will begin to figure out what you're doing but what you can do is look at the types of flop etc... you pick for cbets and double barrels.

I'm more inclined to cbet with zip as it's our only chance of winning the hand but if we have a hand that has some showdown value we don't always have to bet. The suggested % for cbetting is somewhere between 60-75% - Any less and you're being too passive and more means burning money. Gotta also balance our checks with a mixture of hands too.

Whilst this might not necessarily be optimal at NL10 (ie ruthlessly value bet and don't bluff) it will start to play a part a NL20+ as the better NL20 players are in general a lot better than the good NL10 players.

GL anyways,

FF
  • edited May 2014
    Shakin, if you can honestly tell me that you didn't get a little semi when you flopped the straight and flush draws, then you're a liar! ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Oh yeah, those sort of draw-heavy flops always create a stir... and I invariably mutter disappointment when I (normally) fold and feel a bit gutted I missed such an action flop lol

In Response to Re: a little fish trying to out-swim the sharks... : Even if your up against  AA its pretty much a coin flip, i guess it depends if you fancy a gamble or no, i like gambling :) 
    Posted by alex1229
    I still wonder if my gambling background is a plus or a minus to poker, but yeah my dopamine-starved brain needs to take these punts to truly enjoy the game!

Hi Shaky, Haven't played much at all myself this last week or so coz of work commitments and saw you're little post about cbetting. In general you can't just cf if you miss and bet when you hit - even the blindest of opponents will begin to figure out what you're doing but what you can do is look at the types of flop etc... you pick for cbets and double barrels. I'm more inclined to cbet with zip as it's our only chance of winning the hand but if we have a hand that has some showdown value we don't always have to bet. The suggested % for cbetting is somewhere between 60-75% - Any less and you're being too passive and more means burning money. Gotta also balance our checks with a mixture of hands too. Whilst this might not necessarily be optimal at NL10 (ie ruthlessly value bet and don't bluff) it will start to play a part a NL20+ as the better NL20 players are in general a lot better than the good NL10 players. GL anyways, FF
    Posted by freshfish1
    You're right FF, a bit of me was just trying to continue some nit advertisement in an effort to try and stop a few readers from calling me down quite as light as they were... after a few days of oppos calling me down with air for 2 streets just to spike a river pair, there was frustrated negativity added to my post.

I do try to mix it up as much as possible and have never been a 100% cbet sort of player. I think I posted a page or so back that I was trying to work with an article I read by Patrick Leonard in Poker Player magazine about leaving the majority of your no-cbet to boards with two cards between 8-Q as those are the ones likely to have given oppos a pair / extra equity.

If you have no equity this seems a good rule of thumb to just be done with the pot, but also one to not get too carried away on with some equity eg KQ on a QT8 flop, where 3 streets of value is unlikely to be a viable option.

I think this is one of the biggest core-learnings for cash play, as getting things wrong with the cbet can quickly escalate/exaccerbate errors later in the hand.

• edited May 2014
    Bankroll £746.89

Well, after dipping below the £700 mark again in-play, it was another poor start to a session.

Apart from losing a pre-flop flip KK vs AA (which I'd probably been overdue to run in to), I then...

Lost half a stack in the first hand below - where I was obviously always calling, but just had such a bad feeling that I ended up slow-rolling and only just calling before I timed out... some poker 6th sense was just trying to get me to dodge the car crash.

Then in the second hand, I probably played too weakly to be long term +EV, but on this occasion managed to lose the minimum and drew some chat-box chuntering from villain as to how I got off so lightly lol... lesson being learned though - for once I didn't go bust in a limped pot!

Hand 1
    shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £12.62
    xxxBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £4.50
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

dabossman Fold     
    elbows7 Fold     
    Brumbaggie Call  £0.10 £0.25 £9.66
    chandley Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.45 £0.70 £12.17
    xxxAll-in  £4.50 £5.20 £0.00
    Brumbaggie Fold     
    shakinaces Call  £4.10 £9.30 £8.07
    shakinaces Show
    • Q
    • Q

xxxShow

Flop

• J

Turn

River

xxxWin Two Pairs, 5s and 4s £8.60  £8.60
    Hand 2
    xxxSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.86
    shakinaces Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.90
      Your hole cards
    • K

yyyCall  £0.10 £0.25 £6.48
    Chriszaga9 Fold     
    Leerobbo89 Fold     
    camcres Fold     
    xxxCall  £0.05 £0.30 £11.81
    shakinaces Check     
    Flop

• J

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.30 £0.60 £9.60
    yyyCall  £0.30 £0.90 £6.18
    xxxCall  £0.30 £1.20 £11.51
    Turn

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.20 £1.40 £9.40
    yyyCall  £0.20 £1.60 £5.98
    xxxRaise  £0.60 £2.20 £10.91
    shakinaces Call  £0.40 £2.60 £9.00
    yyyFold     
    River

xxxBet  £1.00 £3.60 £9.91
    shakinaces Call  £1.00 £4.60 £8.00
    xxxShow
    • A

shakinaces Muck
    • K

xxxWin Flush to the Ace £4.25  £14.16
    From that point things took a turn for the better... I wasn't really winning any big pots / hitting big hands... but I always felt like I knew where I was in most hands and was picking my spots to bluff/value bet just about right to pick up lots of little wins... I credit that to the power of one beer... the poker equivalent of steadying the shakes when you play pool at the pub :)

Hand 3 - leaving someone to pot commit themselves... had taken this line on numerous hands in position to me: float flop / bet turn / give up river
    DAZ_ACER Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.12
    shakinaces Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £15.17
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

xxxRaise  £0.24 £0.36 £7.89
    KrazyAce Call  £0.24 £0.60 £4.33
    gjb Fold     
    purrer01 Fold     
    DAZ_ACER Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.80 £1.40 £14.37
    xxxCall  £0.64 £2.04 £7.25
    KrazyAce Call  £0.64 £2.68 £3.69
    Flop

• A

shakinaces Bet  £1.20 £3.88 £13.17
    xxxCall  £1.20 £5.08 £6.05
    KrazyAce Fold     
    Turn

shakinaces Check     
    xxxBet  £2.54 £7.62 £3.51
    shakinaces Call  £2.54 £10.16 £10.63
    River

shakinaces Bet  £5.08 £15.24 £5.55
    xxxAll-in  £3.51 £18.75 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £1.57 £17.18 £7.12
    shakinaces Show
    • A
    • A

xxxShow
    • A

shakinaces Win Full House, Aces and 6s £15.89  £23.01
    Hand 4 - run good with the baby set holding good at the same time two oppos decide to spew with top pair... one in particular I'd never expect to go broke here, but wasn't complaining!
    shakinaces Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £23.37
    swazy Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £1.77
      Your hole cards

yyyRaise  £0.32 £0.44 £5.68
    gjb Fold     
    purrer01 Fold     
    xxxCall  £0.32 £0.76 £6.83
    shakinaces Call  £0.28 £1.04 £23.09
    swazy Fold     
    Flop

• K

shakinaces Check     
    yyyBet  £1.04 £2.08 £4.64
    xxxCall  £1.04 £3.12 £5.79
    shakinaces Raise  £3.20 £6.32 £19.89
    yyyCall  £2.16 £8.48 £2.48
    xxxCall  £2.16 £10.64 £3.63
    Turn

shakinaces Bet  £5.32 £15.96 £14.57
    yyyAll-in  £2.48 £18.44 £0.00
    xxxAll-in  £3.63 £22.07 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £1.69 £20.38 £16.26
    shakinaces Show

yyyShow
    • K
    • Q

xxxShow
    • J
    • K

River

shakinaces Win Three 4s £18.98  £35.24
    Hand 5 - just as I checked boxes to sit out next BB, one final piece of rungood when someone makes an optimistic call of a 3-bet and subsequently tied to their hand... I figured they must be in the TT-QQ range after calling every street, really surprised they were as weak as this
    ACE1969 Sit out     
    shakinaces Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £17.43
    KEITH1960 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £8.85
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

Fearless28 Fold     
    yyyRaise  £0.30 £0.45 £10.30
    xxxCall  £0.30 £0.75 £12.08
    shakinaces Raise  £1.25 £2.00 £16.18
    KEITH1960 Fold     
    yyyCall  £1.00 £3.00 £9.30
    xxxCall  £1.00 £4.00 £11.08
    Flop

shakinaces Bet  £2.00 £6.00 £14.18
    yyyFold     
    xxxCall  £2.00 £8.00 £9.08
    Turn

shakinaces Bet  £4.00 £12.00 £10.18
    xxxCall  £4.00 £16.00 £5.08
    River

shakinaces All-in  £10.18 £26.18 £0.00
    xxxAll-in  £5.08 £31.26 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £5.10 £26.16 £5.10
    shakinaces Show
    • K
    • K

xxxShow

shakinaces Win Full House, 6s and Kings £24.76  £29.86
    Anyway - nice to get a proper positive session in, hopefully providing a bit of confidence to kick on next week.

Very little play ahead of me with a last meal with a condemned man this evening and wedding tomorrow... may not be at my peak if/when I play on Sunday!
  • edited May 2014
    Hi there.
    Good luck with the wedding over the weekend...No Saturday afternoon session for me either, as I'm at the local Bell-Ringing final's (Basically people are judged on ability to "Strike" IE getting the gaps even between each bell sounding)..(Lookup Campanology)

Looks like you encountered KRAZYACE, He too is an old adversary/come friend like yourself..He too enjoys a good deal of gossip in the chatbox..did you get chinwagging??

Im still around on the site, although staying miles away from cash at present until i have a decent BR to support it (How many buy-ins would you say would be an ideal budget for 4NL?)

I've been populating the 60p Standard DYM's and despite somewhat run-good during the early stages of my most recent commitment to these, I had a run-bad. Though turned it around yesterday and played 4 games, cashing in all four! 

keep up the good work and the good diary..Enjoyable reading! 
    Regards
    Gary
  • edited May 2014
    Hi there. Good luck with the wedding over the weekend...No Saturday afternoon session for me either, as I'm at the local Bell-Ringing final's (Basically people are judged on ability to "Strike" IE getting the gaps even between each bell sounding)..(Lookup Campanology) Looks like you encountered KRAZYACE, He too is an old adversary/come friend like yourself..He too enjoys a good deal of gossip in the chatbox..did you get chinwagging?? Im still around on the site, although staying miles away from cash at present until i have a decent BR to support it (How many buy-ins would you say would be an ideal budget for 4NL?) I've been populating the 60p Standard DYM's and despite somewhat run-good during the early stages of my most recent commitment to these, I had a run-bad. Though turned it around yesterday and played 4 games, cashing in all four!  keep up the good work and the good diary..Enjoyable reading!  Regards Gary
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Hi Gary - if you're playing a tight style then £80-£100 will probably suffice for a sensible NL4 roll (unless you can afford to reload, in which case start with £20 and hope you run very lucky in the early days as I fluked!)

Hope you did well in the bell-ringing yesterday... I vaguely remember these events from my church days before becoming a lapsed/black sheep Christian and know how competitive inter-church events could get! Bell-ringing wasn't mine thing but in my early teens I can recall some of the battles at summer inter-church five a side tournaments... the lanaguage and kicking was probably far worse than equivalent inter-school/inter-town games and embarrassingly it's the only time in my footy playing life I've picked up numerous (deserved) yellow cards :/

I also recall the amount of moaning and demanding for voiding an event when our youth group made some cakes for a bake off, was only like 12 or 13 at the time, and the mostly retired mother's union members were on the verge of storming at us and the judges with torches and pitchforks when my cake won first place. That decision did not go down well!

Anyway back to the poker... I don't know how I feel so well this morning, I suppose that may mean I'm still drunk, but once I've gone to find some fried food and coffee I think there may be a Sunday afternoon session after all.... fingers crossed no hangover magically appears after midday!!
  • edited May 2014
    Hi,
    I wasn't involved myself, as the two churches I am associated with (We as a collective group serve to ring at two churches, and the instructors are helping get a new band off the ground elsewhere locally too) Didnt have sufficient skilled ringers available to take part.

You had to know the advanced mechanics of ringing what is known as a method in order to participate yesterday, so I went along to socialise and listen to the ringing.

It was more of friendly affair than you would have imagined, but the main essex 6 & 8 bell finals are being held in my area this year and I will imagine these are going to be ultra competative..

Onto poker, yes, I have once before tried to get going using a basic BR of £20 as my starting point, back when I won just shy of £22 in the turbo open. However some seriously bad losses quickly sucked it (The BR) away a big tornado tearing through town..

Alas I'm going to be sticking with DYM's and I am starting to see signs that I am getting to grips with the standard speed, and after a topsy-turvey few days I've had a few very encoraging sessions, including logging my first 100% day in some time (4 cashes out of 4!)

Hope to see you on the tables soon...
    Regards
    Gary.
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £754.38

I should really learn to stop playing the £2 BH lol... 6pm one I had 3 chances to KO a shorty with 60/40 or better but lost all 3 and then short stacked was KOd myself... 8.05pm I picked up a handful of smallish pots but never really motored on and ended up losing AJ <- K9... no bounties and a waste of a few quid!

Cash earned me a few quid but I don't think I'll be playing any more today. Got to about 2pm and realised I only had no hangover this morning because I'd probably woke up drunk. Hit the wall and resorted an afternoon nap in the sun. I miss being an 18 old year that never needs sleep and can drink like a fish 24/7 :)

Having had youtube open to play a few tunes while I played, this hand came up in other recommended videos... I'm terrible at reading people, but surely the original raiser has no choice but to sigh fold here?

That said, weirdest hand I've ever been in was AA v AA v KK v KK where an A-high flush scooped a quadruple up in the first stage of a 10-max SNG... and I was the one that cold 4-bet all in with KK when I probably should have been preserving chips... so I feel his pain!
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £804.32

I should really learn to continue saying I'll stop playing the £2 BH tournis... made it to heads up of the 6pm one this evening for a £20-odd profit.  I got it in with a dominating hand twice in HU to finish it, but the other guy was just destined to win this one and GG him, played well and deserved it and I was a luckbox to have picked up such good hands pre when I did!

The standard cash poor start thankfully then moved on to catch up and a bit of profit.  Wanting to avoid everyone at the few NL10 spots available I started new tables. Most filled up fairly quickly but the HU one I thought I was playing well and felt like I knew where I was... got a few quid profit only to run KK into 77 AIPF and lose to a flush *sigh*

Got paid for a couple of baby sets though, plus benefitting from having avoided most of the regs it felt like I got some easy spots... apologies if anyone was at my table and is a reg, just didn't recognise the names!

Oh, apart from dabossman. I'm pretty sure he was bullying the hell outta me but it was while I was short-handed on a couple of tables and I took the wuss option of letting him steal my cash as I just wasn't concentrating fully on his table... wp him. Given my lack of ability, I'd have probably only lost more money if I had been paying full attention and started 4b light!

There were a few spots I'd like to post up, but not sure I'll get time at work tomorrow... Sky really need to make their hand posting formatted for multi-browser so I can't start putting up queries from home :/
  • edited May 2014
    "Sky really need to make their hand posting formatted for multi-browser so I can't start putting up queries from home :/"

Yes, FWIW, I've been seriously struggling with posting hands myself, having been using a mix of Opera and Google Chrome, I've had a number of Pop-under's appearing with Chrome running lately, so have decided to Bin it, and have downloaded Firefox, after another member PM'd me saying they were using it to post up...

OK you get dots for the card types when you first paste it into the window, but when you submit the post it appers correctly.
  • edited May 2014
    Well let us have a go with firefox, and see if there is any joy... otherwise it is work and work alone where I can post up any hands...

Hand 1 - I probably lost the minimum here... albeit the long term correct way to play would probably be to jam over the raise?  To be honest, if it was a set of Q/K/A I would have, but a bit of my mind figured that this could also be 89 having got there so settled for the call.
    Wayso Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £20.67
    villain Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £14.96
      Your hole cards

hodson1948 Fold        
    OR Raise   £0.24 £0.36 £4.32
    shakinaces Call   £0.24 £0.60 £9.52
    Wayso Fold        
    villain Call   £0.16 £0.76 £14.80
    Flop

villain Check        
    OR Check        
    shakinaces Bet   £0.40 £1.16 £9.12
    villain Call   £0.40 £1.56 £14.40
    OR Fold        
    Turn

villain Check        
    shakinaces Bet   £1.10 £2.66 £8.02
    villain Call   £1.10 £3.76 £13.30
    River

• J

villain Bet   £1.88 £5.64 £11.42
    shakinaces Call   £1.88 £7.52 £6.14
    villain Show
    • J
    • J

shakinaces Muck

villain Win Three Jacks £6.95   £18.37
  • edited May 2014
    well seeing as that appears to have worked...

Hand 2 - Stationed off to the Donkey Kong play... It's not unheard of see big bluffs from this player, but it feels like, at NL10, I should be getting away here and figuring villains range is heavily weighted to 99/AK/AQ/A9?  But then they have donked previously and then given up, so I felt I had to call the flop bet... then the 2 didn't change anything so I stick around... and almost 3/1 on my money on the river didn't seem far off the odds that it could be a bluff... IDK... sigh... wp sir
    villain Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.59
    rancid Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.67
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A

gareth1969 Fold        
    chadw33 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £16.57
    Andy_Horns Fold        
    shakinaces Raise   £0.40 £0.65 £17.19
    villain Call   £0.35 £1.00 £9.24
    rancid Fold        
    chadw33 Fold        
    Flop

• A
    • A

villain Bet   £1.00 £2.00 £8.24
    shakinaces Call   £1.00 £3.00 £16.19
    Turn

villain Bet   £3.00 £6.00 £5.24
    shakinaces Call   £3.00 £9.00 £13.19
    River

villain All-in   £5.24 £14.24 £0.00
    shakinaces Call   £5.24 £19.48 £7.95
    villain Show
    • Q
    • A

shakinaces Show
    • J
    • A

villain Win Three Aces £18.08   £18.08
  • edited May 2014
    and finally...

Hand 3 - don't play junky hands vs one of the best players that occasionally drops down to NL10, because I'm not yet good enough... I'm pretty sure he knew I had the straight as well... read me like a book lol... alas, no miracle hit of the straight flush gutshot out :)
    bonk38 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £8.37
    Frogmella Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £8.49
      Your hole cards

cancer2 Fold        
    villain Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £14.12
    VINEY73 Fold        
    shakinaces Call   £0.30 £0.75 £17.10
    bonk38 Fold        
    villain Fold        
    Flop

villain Bet   £0.56 £1.31 £13.56
    shakinaces Call   £0.56 £1.87 £16.54
    Turn

villain Bet   £0.90 £2.77 £12.66
    shakinaces Raise   £2.40 £5.17 £14.14
    villain Raise   £3.80 £8.97 £8.86
    shakinaces All-in   £14.14 £23.11 £0.00
    villain All-in   £8.86 £31.97 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet   £2.98 £28.99 £2.98
    villain Show

shakinaces Show

River

• K

villain Win Full House, 4s and 3s £27.59   £27.59
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £794.45 pts for May 619

So yeah, cash ended up nearly £20 down yesterday - bit of a waste really as I think I had a bit of rungood in there, but wasted that by getting carried away in the hands noted above (well, the 2nd and 3rd anyway).

That was off-set by a good run in the 8.05 BH which I came 9th or 10th (?) with a few heads to make like £9 profit (high roller!). Will post the exit hand after this, I'm pretty sure it's a fold and this highlights one of my major weaknesses in tournament play... am sure ICM would tell me it's a mistake on my part.

I'm guessing I could have snuck up a few more rungs of the ladder, but got a bit sidetracked after the 2nd break due to Derek being on the telly... probably should consider using the live record button if I'm in a tourni in future and watch programmes after the game ends.

Best thing on TV at the moment though - highly recommend catching up on series 1 and 2 to anyone that hasn't yet discovered it. I don't really watch much telly these days but that sort of show justifies still paying license fee/virgin fee etc.

No poker today - trying to find the motivation to drive from Swindon to Gillingham for my aunt's funeral and if I get back in time, joining friends for a trip to Bristol to see Japan's greatest export, Electric Eel Shock.
  • edited May 2014
    Well let us have a go with firefox, and see if there is any joy... otherwise it is work and work alone where I can post up any hands... Hand 1 - I probably lost the minimum here... albeit the long term correct way to play would probably be to jam over the raise?  To be honest, if it was a set of Q/K/A I would have, but a bit of my mind figured that this could also be 89 having got there so settled for the call. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Wayso Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £20.67 villain Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £14.96   Your hole cards 7 7       hodson1948 Fold         OR Raise   £0.24 £0.36 £4.32 shakinaces Call   £0.24 £0.60 £9.52 Wayso Fold         villain Call   £0.16 £0.76 £14.80 Flop     7 10 4       villain Check         OR Check         shakinaces Bet   £0.40 £1.16 £9.12 villain Call   £0.40 £1.56 £14.40 OR Fold         Turn     5       villain Check         shakinaces Bet   £1.10 £2.66 £8.02 villain Call   £1.10 £3.76 £13.30 River     J       villain Bet   £1.88 £5.64 £11.42 shakinaces Call   £1.88 £7.52 £6.14 villain Show J J       shakinaces Muck 7 7       villain Win Three Jacks £6.95   £18.37
    Posted by shakinaces
    I'm not going to be results orientated. I do think its a raise. It isn't as clear cut though because when it goes call/call/donk lead then it's usually a strong hand on a dry board. There are not many busted draws that missed and the bet looks like value as that won't make you fold much. But he could have J10 here a lot and some other hands we beat so yea, we should raise. Just UL. 
  • edited May 2014
    BH Exit hand - should I be getting away from these?

I mean, UTG raiser has been pretty snug and seemed to be looking to ladder, he's never going to be super weak here and the AI is unlikely to be playing much worse although could be shooting for the bounty hunter.

In short, there is most likely a pair and an ace - or in the most lucky scenario, two pairs QQ or lower to give me 2 live outs to get 2 bounties.

If it's a pair and an Ace, one of my outs has gone and the pair is slightly bigger favourite, esp when they rock up with KK.

IDK, my play has been too biased towards cash so not really put any work into improving how I think about tournament play
    Kuttlefish Small blind   1500.00 1500.00 30820.00
    shakinaces Big blind   3000.00 4500.00 29778.75
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

jamie167 Raise   6000.00 10500.00 16029.99
    RUMBUP All-in   32550.00 43050.00 0.00
    monstRriV Fold        
    Kuttlefish Fold        
    shakinaces All-in   29778.75 72828.75 0.00
    jamie167 All-in   16029.99 88858.74 0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet   228.75 88629.99 228.75
    shakinaces Show
    • K
    • A

jamie167 Show
    • K
    • K

RUMBUP Show

Flop

• Q

Turn

• J

River

jamie167 Win Pair of Kings 67589.97   67589.97
    RUMBUP Win Pair of 10s 21040.02   21040.02
  • edited May 2014
    well seeing as that appears to have worked... Hand 2 - Stationed off to the Donkey Kong play... It's not unheard of see big bluffs from this player, but it feels like, at NL10, I should be getting away here and figuring villains range is heavily weighted to 99/AK/AQ/A9?  But then they have donked previously and then given up, so I felt I had to call the flop bet... then the 2 didn't change anything so I stick around... and almost 3/1 on my money on the river didn't seem far off the odds that it could be a bluff... IDK... sigh... wp sir Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance villain Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.59 rancid Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.67   Your hole cards J A       gareth1969 Fold         chadw33 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £16.57 Andy_Horns Fold         shakinaces Raise   £0.40 £0.65 £17.19 villain Call   £0.35 £1.00 £9.24 rancid Fold         chadw33 Fold         Flop     A 9 A       villain Bet   £1.00 £2.00 £8.24 shakinaces Call   £1.00 £3.00 £16.19 Turn     2       villain Bet   £3.00 £6.00 £5.24 shakinaces Call   £3.00 £9.00 £13.19 River     5       villain All-in   £5.24 £14.24 £0.00 shakinaces Call   £5.24 £19.48 £7.95 villain Show Q A       shakinaces Show J A       villain Win Three Aces £18.08   £18.08
    Posted by shakinaces
    Again, being too hard on yourself I think. I can never put him on any of those hands by his pot bet donk. IMO I think villain got lucky you was so strong to get paid. I'm probably worried by the river but we are too strong to fold. 
  • edited May 2014
    and finally... Hand 3 - don't play junky hands vs one of the best players that occasionally drops down to NL10, because I'm not yet good enough... I'm pretty sure he knew I had the straight as well... read me like a book lol... alas, no miracle hit of the straight flush gutshot out :) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance bonk38 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £8.37 Frogmella Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £8.49   Your hole cards 6 5       cancer2 Fold         villain Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £14.12 VINEY73 Fold         shakinaces Call   £0.30 £0.75 £17.10 bonk38 Fold         villain Fold         Flop     2 3 4       villain Bet   £0.56 £1.31 £13.56 shakinaces Call   £0.56 £1.87 £16.54 Turn     3       villain Bet   £0.90 £2.77 £12.66 shakinaces Raise   £2.40 £5.17 £14.14 villain Raise   £3.80 £8.97 £8.86 shakinaces All-in   £14.14 £23.11 £0.00 villain All-in   £8.86 £31.97 £0.00 shakinaces Unmatched bet   £2.98 £28.99 £2.98 villain Show 4 4       shakinaces Show 6 5       River     K       villain Win Full House, 4s and 3s £27.59   £27.59
    Posted by shakinaces
    Raise flop. As played flat turn and pot control as now real hard to get all in ahead on turn. Prob justi call river bet if we don't improve. 
  • edited May 2014
    BH Exit hand - should I be getting away from these? I mean, UTG raiser has been pretty snug and seemed to be looking to ladder, he's never going to be super weak here and the AI is unlikely to be playing much worse although could be shooting for the bounty hunter. In short, there is most likely a pair and an ace - or in the most lucky scenario, two pairs QQ or lower to give me 2 live outs to get 2 bounties. If it's a pair and an Ace, one of my outs has gone and the pair is slightly bigger favourite, esp when they rock up with KK. IDK, my play has been too biased towards cash so not really put any work into improving how I think about tournament play Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Kuttlefish Small blind   1500.00 1500.00 30820.00 shakinaces Big blind   3000.00 4500.00 29778.75   Your hole cards K A       jamie167 Raise   6000.00 10500.00 16029.99 RUMBUP All-in   32550.00 43050.00 0.00 monstRriV Fold         Kuttlefish Fold         shakinaces All-in   29778.75 72828.75 0.00 jamie167 All-in   16029.99 88858.74 0.00 shakinaces Unmatched bet   228.75 88629.99 228.75 shakinaces Show K A       jamie167 Show K K       RUMBUP Show 10 10       Flop     2 8 Q       Turn     J       River     5       jamie167 Win Pair of Kings 67589.97   67589.97 RUMBUP Win Pair of 10s 21040.02   21040.02
    Posted by shakinaces
    Played out standard IMO. UL. GG!