You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables

Comments

• edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: a little fish trying to out-swim the sharks...:
    Bankroll £937.66 Not going to lie, the numbers speak for themselves and I did run golden yesterday, even allowing for KK < QQ for 120BB or so early in the evening.  I think more importantly, I ran up in excess of 300PP which is indicative of putting in some (for me) long sessions where I think my decision making held up for all but the last ten mins or so - although even then, I'd dropped all but the softest tables with the plan to 'go to bed when the easiest spot stops reloading' (and stuck by that). At the risk of upsetting those I sat with, the best part of my game was table selection and as much as the cards did help, being in position against weaker opponents makes it so much easier to benefit from that vs being surrounded by regs.  As more micro-regs replaced defeated fish, so I was seeking new spots to replace tables as opposed to fight on with tougher spots. Bumhunters aren't really as bad as people make out :) Another foray into the NL10 MC was the one table that lasted throughout, with an interesting shift in dynamic. To start with I had immediate position on two good players ( CraigSG and Larson ) with three weaker players to my left - so a bit more 3-betting those behind and opening those in front (knowing I wouldn't be facing many tough decisions pre-flop)... then over time it evolved as the Craig and Larson left - Craig had position on Larson and stood up the first hand after Larson left... I can only assume that means he saw Larson as his 'spot'! :)Then I had Hypeting and Dontelmum take position on me, but weak players sit to my right, taking away how many CO/MP opens I was able to sneak through, but making it easy to keep building my stack from taking on the limpers. So a new high for the roll, if I can keep the momentum going then a bit more NL20 toe-dipping will be added to the mix (...not the Dane Bowers/Jordan type of toe-dipping) Hand of the night is without question 7-6!
    Posted by shakinaces

Thanks Sharky! Get me in trouble why don't you! It was actually my bed time! 

Well done on a successful day. Hope i get one soon!

• edited June 2014
    Reading with interest mate. Glad your doing well.. Long may it continue :)
  • edited June 2014
    BR £928.18

A proper 'after the Mayor's show' sort of session which mostly bumbled along with lots of folding. Variance made sure that I just couldn't seem to hit a flop and had to rely on a bit more bluffing than usual (probably not a good thing long term) to pick up a few pots - albeit I think I picked my spots well and all the bigger pots came my way.

Shame I didn't have the balls to pick off a bluff though... had the chance at the one NL20 table I had, but bottled it as the timer ran out and moved the mouse to fold... thanks to oppo for showing he did indeed have the busted FD :( ... but thanks also to same oppo (unfortunately well below 100BB) for trying to bluff shove pre when I had KK :)

All in all, lots of frustrating spots, but I think I lost the least in the main... only possible one I could/should have avoided I'll post up in a sec.
  • edited June 2014
    Cheers Hypeting - although hopefully won't see you at the tables too often!

Only on the wind-up Craig, although was surprised you didn't stay for a few more orbits to benefit from the station sat the other side of Larson!
  • edited June 2014
    Have left name in as this is a fairly player-specific hand (hello if you happen to be lurking BAGGPUSS!)

I guess there is a case for raising the flop, but I thought that by calling we'd end up 4-way to the turn and that'd give me a bit more chance of building the pot if I did improve / then build the pot on the turn.

It's weird, if it had been checked to me I'd have probably bet big anyway, maybe not whole stack but close to... but when it's donked there is a bit more thought rather than if I was the one with the decision to bet.

I never see this being an air bluff, but at the same time its not like the majority of NL10 players that would only be doing this with KK / 99 / QQ and possibly Ahxh / 88.

Discuss...
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    BAGGPUSS Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £11.36
    TLK65 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £5.71
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

Elysey Fold     
    hector45 Raise  £0.20 £0.35 £3.71
    shakinaces Call  £0.20 £0.55 £13.68
    infora Call  £0.20 £0.75 £9.80
    BAGGPUSS Call  £0.15 £0.90 £11.21
    TLK65 Fold     
    Flop

• K

BAGGPUSS Check     
    hector45 Bet  £0.40 £1.30 £3.31
    shakinaces Call  £0.40 £1.70 £13.28
    infora Fold     
    BAGGPUSS Call  £0.40 £2.10 £10.81
    Turn

BAGGPUSS Bet  £0.30 £2.40 £10.51
    hector45 Call  £0.30 £2.70 £3.01
    shakinaces Raise  £1.90 £4.60 £11.38
    BAGGPUSS Call  £1.60 £6.20 £8.91
    hector45 Fold     
    River

• Q

BAGGPUSS All-in  £8.91 £15.11 £0.00

• edited June 2014
    I would fold in this hand:)
  • edited June 2014
    First things first

Bankroll now £901.26 pts for June 849

Tues session was the opposite of Sunday, amount of all-in ahead on turn/miracle out river card was mad but wholly due... was over £50 down but recovered it back to about a £20 loss... then Weds dropped just under a tenner.

Shame you can't use trackers on here in some form, not to follow others, but to see your own results. It'd be nice to know (positive and negative) where you sit in terms of EV - particularly at the volume I can play alongside work. Am I genuinely improving / beating the level or am I just on riding a good run of cards that has me medium-term showing a profit?

Not sure how much I'll play this weekend / this month now the World Cup has kicked off... but will try to keep getting in the odd session here and there.
  • edited June 2014
    But for now.... a world cup awaits!

I'm a bit autistic so, as much as I adore football* one of the biggest things of the World Cup for me is the wealth of betting opportunities that are on offer.

The domestic game is great and I'll normally have a few season long bets, but 9 months is a long wait to really get excited about, whereas turning round in weeks/months makes things way more fun.

Alas my gambling roll is hugely shrunk this year (what a stupid idea home ownership was lol) so my bets are shrunk this time around, especially as I want to leave myself a few quid for the games / tournament in-running.

But still, I'm going to hijack my own thread to record pluses and minuses. Given the stakes I'm not opening new accounts for any of these and saving 'free bets' for another day. Plus I can't access a few (inc Ladbrokes, Paddy Power and BetVictor) so have not been able to place a few bets I'd like to. Still, here's what we have so far:

Neymar £5 @ 8/1 Golden Ball Winner (I see this as backing Brazil to win the thing - if they do then it seems nailed on that the poster boy of the team will take this award. Plus a saver that they may be pipped in semis / losing final and he'll have done enough to nick it anyway / popular opinion will sway the votes)

Spain £5 @ 13/2 to win (I still think they have the best squad and would be favourites if this was held anywhere but Brazil. The bookmaker is giving a free bet if this loses and Brazil or Argentina win the cup, so I have insurance if they do run out of gas)

Luis Suarez £2.5 @ 13/8 to be top Liverpool scorer (He only has to beat the England boys and, even with injury doubt in mind, I'm not sure it makes sense for him to be better than evens)

Edin Dzeko £1.25 @ 4/1 to be top Man City scorer (too late to get EW 80/1 on top scorer, but I think he'll bag goals in a side that averaged 3 goals per game in qualifying, albeit against average opposition. Aguero is the threat, but will have to share game time and goal chances with Messi, Higuain, Lavezzi and Di Maria. Yaya Toure could nick a few and be the outside bet, but I think Dzeko at this price is value)

Paul Pogba £1.25@ 9/2 to be top Juventus scorer (Vidal and Pirlo don't look obvious to score more than the odd goal, so a couple for France in an easyish group, maybe even a single goal, could be sufficient to bring this in)

Mitroglous £1.25 @ 3/1 to be top Championship scorer (a couple of S Korea names may have a shot, while was tempted to punt ex-Forest Jara of Chile at 66s, but realistically I can't make a case for any Championship player to score - which makes this a 3/1 bet that Greece's target man scores at any time in 3 group games.)

Group F top scoring group £2.50 @ 5/1 (Brazil and Spain groups top the betting here, but as intimated above, I expect more goals from Bosnia, Argentina needs no cover - can see them both knocking plenty past Iran and Nigeria as well as playing out a goal fest among themselves - plus Iran and Nigeria play each other first and so may go all out for the win in an effort to have an outside chance of getting out the group)

Fred £2.50 EW @ 20s and Higuain £1.25 EW @ 22s (I think Fred will top score Brazil and looks too big in a market which is always very open. As with Higuain, being the furthest forward means you get chances that Neymar/Messi set up (and IMO they are both better covered for Golden Ball). I did see 80s on Dzeko earlier which I'd have covered, but missed. I also fancy Alexis Sanchez EW @ 66 but don't think I have an account I can place this with?)

Now to tap up group related bets....

That puts me down £26.25 so far...

* Obviously adore and hate in equal measure, given my support of Forest, England and playing for a mid-ranking Sunday league team!!

• edited June 2014
    Group picks

Group A - Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon £1.25 @ 3/1 and Brazil, Croatia £2.50 @ 7/4 (I think if any of the groups can be ranked in advance, this is the one. Brazil obv and Croatia are a class above the other two and will qualify as long as they don't get smashed by Brazil, which I don't think they will. Mexico nearly didn't even make the play-offs and missed out to Panama ffs and yeah Cameroon have E'too, but he's not the player he was... think the 7/4 forecast is the one I'll most regret not lumping on when the groups are done.)

Group B - Spain, Chile £1.25 @ 5/2 (forget Belgium, think this is too early for their great young players, Chile (and Bosnia) are the dark horses. Van Gaal's mind is on United, their team already making noises of possible implosion. As per last post I think Spain are the class squad in the tournament, so this seems a big price to me)

Group C - Ivory Coast £1.25 @ 7/2 (not as good as the 4s I saw about earlier and probably right priced now, but a group they could easily win a couple of games in if the big names have their heads screwed on)

Group F - Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria £1.25 @ 13/2 (given that I think Argentina / Bosnia is nailed on, this is a 13/2 shot for Iran to beat Nigeria in their opening game... or draw and get beat less bad in the following games lol)

Edin Dzeko top score Group F £2.50 @ 7s (as per previous post, I hadn't noticed this previously but think this is awesome value and the Argentinian players are all way too short for this bet)

Russia / S Korea reverse forecast Group H £1.25 @ 9s (Everyone sees Belgium as a nail on, I don't think they are THAT good... admit this is a bit of a flier and Belgium may still sneak through, just don't think it will be as easy as the bookies do which makes this quite a good price for two solid, albeit unspectacular teams)

Treble Group A Brazil/Croatia, Group B Spain/Chile, Group F Argentina/Bosnia £1.25 @ just over 20s (as above... may as well be greedy and see if I can build a bit of extra roll for the KO stages :)

Mesut Ozil top German scorer £1.25 @ 9s and Ciro Immobile top Italian scorer £1.25 @ 11/2 (in the absence of many centre forwards, Ozil seems worth a punt among a bunch of attacking midfielders that could take this bet, given he's better odds that Muller, Podolski, Gotze and Schurle... Immobile may be a shot, but as with a lot of bets, I think the UK knowledge of Balotelli makes his price too short and Immobile easily outscored him in Serie A last season...)

Another £15 down so £41.25 running so far.

• edited June 2014
    Edin Dzeko, ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh

Edin Dzeko, ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh
  • edited June 2014
    Quick update before I hit the pub

Poker - 916.76 (pts 1,076)

Not much I can really add to be honest, banged in nearly £50 yesterday, dumped about £80 today but recovered to just over minus £30.

The amount of beats today was nuts, couldn't really have played that much better over the session as a whole, but nothing much you can do when the poker gods decide it aint your day!

Footy

Had two on the games today, £5 Draw / Mexico @ 9/2 and £5 Chile / Chile @ 2.34.  I figure Spain for the other game but don't see anything worth my money as it's conceivable Netherlands could blag a draw.

Love the stats, that's 11 of Mexico's last 17 games which have been 0-0 at half time. Chile are fast starters and been ahead at half time in all but one of their last 10 wins so 2.34 looks good value vs 1/2 to win.

Mexico and Cameroon looked pretty garbage in the main, hopefully Croatia should find it easy pickings in their next two games.
  • edited June 2014
    Yea. Watched parts of the Mexico v Cameroon...Fell asleep for part as well! 
  • edited June 2014
    Poker £922.53 - only played a very small amount yesterday.

Footy - no bets yesterday although disappointed I didn't pull the trigger on Ivory Coast while they were 1-0 down... although that was mostly down to being a little worse for wear and being incapable of using a smart phone... unlucky England but very much game on still, still think Uruguay are there for the taking and could be in control of our own fate by the final game.

Honduras don't look a bad team but think France have the defence to handle them so £7.50 at Evns on France win to nil - only bad sign is that it's one of Jamie Redknapp's Red Hot Tips so probably been jinxed lol.

£2.50 @ 3s for the Draw/France result and hope that Honduras can be as frustrating to break down as they were vs England. Lack of Ribery may make that more likely... fingers crossed for Pogba being the man to break the deadlock, 10s is tempting but will hold fire given my tourni bet on him.

May have a punt on Arg v Bos game later if I'm not forced to admit defeat and sleep / if I get the bug and log on for a bit of poker... disappointed if I'm wiped out by then as it shapes to be one of the better group stage games.

• edited June 2014
    Poker £911.57 - started awesomely yesterday, tried to hero call what I figured to be a bluff at someone hitting a gut shot, where they had position and either had 66 (which they did) or any combo of overcards / big pair that they knew was going to lose a big pot... then set of jacks downed by a set of aces for almost £25 at a MC table.

As soon as I make a slight moan about never hitting sets I can't stop hitting them, but constantly done for by a higher set lol... so no more moaning, I'm happy to go a while without my pairs hitting sets :)

This is one of the particularly harsh ones... could at least have completed the top end of the straight so I got a little bit back from the side pot lol
    xxxSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £6.60
    xxxBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £7.70
    xxxBig blind  £0.10 £0.25 £5.56
      Your hole cards

xxxRaise  £0.20 £0.45 £25.59
    xxxCall  £0.10 £0.55 £5.46
    shakinaces Raise  £0.80 £1.35 £14.40
    xxxCall  £0.75 £2.10 £5.85
    xxxFold     
    xxxCall  £0.60 £2.70 £24.99
    xxxFold     
    Flop

• J

xxxAll-in  £5.85 £8.55 £0.00
    xxxCall  £5.85 £14.40 £19.14
    shakinaces Raise  £11.70 £26.10 £2.70
    xxxCall  £5.85 £31.95 £13.29
    Turn

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces All-in  £2.70 £34.65 £0.00
    xxxCall  £2.70 £37.35 £10.59
    xxxShow
    • Q
    • J

xxxShow
    • J

shakinaces Show

River

xxxWin Straight to the Queen £19.50  £19.50
    xxxWin Straight to the Jack £16.45  £27.04
    So as per other recent sessions, a few rotten coolers at the start followed by trying to chip back through a bunch of small pots.  Only this time I didn't quite make it to a breakeven level.

One thing I really want to find a 'Plan B' for is facing these LAG (I guess) players that play 90% of hands and are constantly betting post-flop as well.

It sort of feels like a very weak and exploitable strategy to fold to them as much as I do and, dare I say, they are well adjusted now to exit hands quite quickly on those occasions where I do get a monster of any sort and start playing back at them.

Any recommended articles of videos to combat such players would be appreciated, as there are a number at the tables that I must be a net loser versus.

Their only benefit it putting other weak players on tilt which in turn often means I have to avoid the LAG but target whoever they put on tilt and try to earn ££ that way.  Ho hum.
  • edited June 2014
    Footy wise...

Honduras couldn't quite hold on till half time, Palacios being as ill disciplined as ever ruined that part, but at least the win to nil came in so happy days.

In spite of the world's best player recovering from injury I fancy the Germans to nick a win today. They scored first half goals in all their qualifiers so am split £2.50 @ 8/5 on them to be leading at halftime and £2.50 germany/germany @ 9/4 as well as a punt on Ozil ew FGS £2.50 @ 15/2.

Seems overpriced to be the 6th highest odds among the German players and, I believe, is their penalty taker so has the chance to benefit from that possibility also.

So it's a bit wrong to claim this as an Englishman but, come on Germany!!
  • edited June 2014
    Good luck shakin at getting to the £1,000 mark, which i'm presuming is one of your goals,(excuse the pun with the football being on)  ha ha.
    not been here for a while, looks like you are moving along nicely.
    best wishes,
    dev
  • edited June 2014
    Cheers Dev, good to see you back and all the best with your own challenge mate.  I'll be reading regularly and sure to pop in from time to time!

Disappointed Ozil didn't fight harder when he grabbed the ball for the German pen, what a bottler lol

USA always well organised by Ghana just look a bit too good, and have beaten them twice before when the USA were stronger... with the Portugal hammering there has to be a winner here, surely, so £5 @ 6/4

And if a goal is coming, surely Gyan has got to be in there. £2.50 @ 2/1 to score anytime seems decent for a guy that has 40 in 79....

Game on!
  • edited June 2014
    Yeah, enough said about that the better. Ah well, can't win them all!

Looking like there should be some very one-sided games based on current showings, the likes of Argentina / Bosnia, Brazil / Croatia, Germany (and probably Portugal) won't offer great odds on outrights but probably warrant little accumulators.

Poker £941.27...

After a rash of aces-related outdraws lately, AA /> QQ for £20 at mastercash boosted last night's sessions, which were often sidetracked by table banter including discussion about Robbie Savage, sheep and goats.

The mini view having chat box on is without doubt my favourite part of the new software. I rarely have the patience to one-table, especially those days where you are utterly card dead, but did miss the banter by not being able to view normal sized tables. Makes the game far more fun now, especially watching the master-tilter wind-up his opponents... it's a truly impressive dark art.

Although I accept he has poor game (compared to the pros), Tony G has long been one of my favourite names to see when flicking some poker on the TV. A panto villain on a table makes it so much more fun than games that are filled with hooded players hidden behind sunglasses and listening to music, trying to give nothing away about their holding. Sure, that invariably helps them to be more successful, but I don't see it doing much to attract any new audience to the game.

Oh yeah, and I'm now a 'sky favoured rungood fish'... I think that means I've now improved to level 4 and am guaranteed to always beat people at level 1-3.  I'm this because I 'always' raise out of position. After raising UTG the first time at the table like 4 hands in, the first time I've ever played the person... and I had Aces... which I should have folded out of position.

I feel so blessed to have been recognised for the improvement I've made :)

And reiterate how much more entertaining things are with being able to see the chatbox these days!
  • edited June 2014
    So the footy has sidetracked me somewhat lately.

Poker wise I was just treading water and losing £1 here or there... until yesterday when I did have a play and dropped a big over £30 so bankroll now £897.07.

Some poor calls in retrospect there, overpair vs sets and AQ vs KQ on Q high board... made worse bankroll wise as 42s vs a fish managed to catch it's flush vs AA and getting value with KK on MC went horribly wrong when AQ improved on the river and I was forced to fold (the one good fold I did find lol).

On the footy front, I've watched at least a good chunk of every game so far lol, must be in the minority that took the suffering to a new level on Thursday by sitting through the dire Japan vs Greece game after England had effectively been knocked out.

Not been betting on many games, but that's probably for the best given my poor recent run lol

£7.50 Brazil to win (evens, in running) LOST
    £5 Columbia / Ivory Coast to draw (12/5) LOST
    £5 Rooney score anytime and ENgland win (9/2) LOST
    £5 Japan to win (11/8) LOST

After the first round of games I also whacked some more on Brazil/Croatia forecast for Group A (£5 @ 3s) and jumbled that in for a four fold including France/Switzerland, Germany/Portugal and Argentina/Bosnia... only another £2.50 but keeps things fun like.

Not sure yet, but thinking to cover some scorelines in the Argentina v Iran game tonight... not convinced that Iran will even try to attack that much so covering 4-0/5-0/6-0 or some combo like that may give a bit of interest in the second half.
  • edited June 2014
    Random oppo that I've never seen before - has already done this one before in the 3 or so orbits I've been sat there for.... where's the cut-off card wise before this becomes a snap call when the action comes back to me?
    Itsmeyo123 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £6.72
    oswaldfich Big blind   £0.05 £0.10 £6.96
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

03baz03 Fold        
    iatehorse Fold        
    shakinaces Raise   £0.20 £0.30 £7.87
    villain All-in   £15.47 £15.77 £0.00
    Itsmeyo123 Fold        
    oswaldfich Fold        
    shakinaces
  • edited June 2014
    Pokers £872.45

Came on to play the WC freeroll and had a couple of tables of cash on the go at the same time, but I'm just not feeling it so shut down for the footy.

I did initially try and push on because there were a few spots at the tables, which hasn't necessarily been the case lately (a standard due to the sun I guess?)... but when you get SB defends by 86o... which float flops with no apparent plan and catch their 8 on the river... well, if you not making money at that sort of table you have to admit defeat and take the break!

Fair to say the Footy aint going much better lol... team backed to win pre: Spain... team to create a few shocks and be a bit of a dark horse: Bosnia... team supported and willed to win: England... Not a hat-trick I'll be celebrating too much!!!

Did another tenner on the Argentina game yesterday, can't believe how average they look given the wealth of attacking options available to them - easily the best front players at the tourni IMO and only opted not to back them because of their defence, but ended genuinely gutted that Iran didn't manage to nick something from it!!

After a season of being wholly underwhelmed by Algerian players at Forest, I'm probably going to regret this.  But at 2.08 Algeria seemed like a good punt (Draw no Bet)... they've a talented bunch of mercenaries and will want to do something to earn a big money move (before becoming lazy show-boaters that only perform in Sky TV games that might earn them an even bigger money move lol).
  • edited June 2014
    Not played any poker for a couple of days, been doing this weird thing called 'socialising' with something I believe are called 'friends' in order to take some advantage of this strange sunny spell and continuing barrage of football.

Not had any more gambles since the Algeria game (happy days) but will make one final try to earn some losses back in Group F tonight I'm sure.

In the interim I thought I'd look back to see how the pre-tourni gambles are going and, well, not great lol! At the moment I'm mostly sat with all my eggs in a Neymar-shaped basket!

Neymar £5 @ 8/1 Golden Ball Winner 2 MOM, 4 goals and winnable games (?) vs Chile and then Costa Rica/Greece... if he stays fit then this one could get me out the hole!

Spain £5 @ 13/2 to win the less said the better lol... may get a refund if Brazil/Argentina win the cup

Luis Suarez £2.5 @ 13/8 to be top Liverpool scorer I guess I'm in the minority that want him to play on and not receive his ban until after the world cup? I believe he is L'pool top scorer though and can't think of anyone that can top his 2 goals?

Edin Dzeko £1.25 @ 4/1 to be top Man City scorer
    I'm sure this is still live, but needs to bang a hat-trick vs Iran... ooooo Dzeko :(

Paul Pogba £1.25@ 9/2 to be top Juventus scorer With Italy out I still need Brazil to stop Chile scoring and Pogba to get 1 to tie/2 to beat Marchesio... still live...

Mitroglous £1.25 @ 3/1 to be top Championship scorer Think this is game over now... Beausejour (sp?) scored for Chile and Leroy Fer for Holland... ah well.

Group F top scoring group £2.50 @ 5/1 Yeah, I think I need about 18 goals tonight in two games lol... this is now likely to be the lowest scoring group... nuts!

Fred £2.50 EW @ 20s and Higuain £1.25 EW @ 22s Yeah. Miracle or done for lol.

Treble Group A Brazil/Croatia, Group B Spain/Chile, Group F Argentina/Bosnia £1.25 @ just over 20s
    Group A - Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon £1.25 @ 3/1 and Brazil, Croatia £2.50 @ 7/4
    Group B - Spain, Chile £1.25 @ 5/2
    Group C - Ivory Coast £1.25 @ 7/2
    Group F - Argentina, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria £1.25 @ 13/2 Nothing to see here... please move along...

Edin Dzeko top score Group F £2.50 @ 7s Need an Oleg Salenko style performance in the final game to surpass Messi's two goals lol

Russia / S Korea reverse forecast Group H £1.25 @ 9s Meh... still don't rate Belgium... good subs by the manager tho

Mesut Ozil top German scorer £1.25 @ 9s and Ciro Immobile top Italian scorer £1.25 @ 11/2 Another miracle required... I will get a winner off Ozil scoring in matches though... somehow!
  • edited June 2014
    Poker £878.12

I had a bit of a run on the tables last night but the reduced traffic makes it a challenge to really get going at the moment so for most of the time I only had 3 tables running at one time and only racked up a meagre 30 PP

I'm not sure if the lack of tables / reduced number of spots (given the higher reg:rec ratio) but I really don't feel like I'm playing all that well for the last week or so, with luck being my friend to rock up a small profit yesterday.

In particular, patience isn't what it should be. With only three tables and being relatively position/card dead for reasonable periods of time I found myself making unnecessary attempts to force some action, chucking out 3b either OOP or with weak holdings which, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm not good enough to do that in a consistently profitable manner.
  • edited June 2014
    Hand 1:

Advice to self:

Fold to 4b pre. Check river.
    Not sure I ever profit from calling pre in the long term. Feels so dodgy to be getting 200bb in pre with AKo.  As it is, turns out the villain was a bit of a maniac and I'd have got it in ahead, but mostly I got lucky and then threw that luck away by failing to get full value.
    longman912 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £55.92
    shakinaces Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £19.90
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

Fabz0 Fold     
    craigcu12 Fold     
    villainRaise  £0.40 £0.55 £17.11
    VINEY73 Fold     
    longman912 Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £1.50 £2.05 £18.40
    villainRaise  £4.45 £6.50 £12.66
    shakinaces Call  £3.25 £9.75 £15.15
    Flop

• A
    • J

shakinaces Check     
    villainCheck     
    Turn

• K

shakinaces Bet  £4.80 £14.55 £10.35
    villainCall  £4.80 £19.35 £7.86
    River

shakinaces All-in  £10.35 £29.70 £0.00
    villainFold     
    shakinaces Muck     
    shakinaces Win  £17.95  £17.95
    shakinaces Return  £10.35 £1.40 £28.30
  • edited June 2014
    Hmmm I was going to post a couple of other hands, but just realised that having left names in during hand 1, that it wouldn't take Sherlock to deduce who the villains were in other hands I was posting (from the same table).

So here are a couple of sigh folds from the barren period before I started playing junk and thinking that I could 3-bet bluff at micro stakes.

To be honest, the second one would normally cost me a lot more so I gave myself a metaphorical pat on the back for losing what I think was the minimum here.  The first one should maybe be a call with £1 invested, but with the board also paired I took the low variance (and reduced Sky rake) option.
    xxxSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £6.75
    shakinaces Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.39
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • J

xxxFold     
    xxxFold     
    villainCall  £0.10 £0.25 £12.10
    xxxFold     
    xxxCall  £0.05 £0.30 £6.70
    shakinaces Raise  £0.40 £0.70 £9.99
    villainCall  £0.40 £1.10 £11.70
    xxxFold     
    Flop

shakinaces Bet  £0.60 £1.70 £9.39
    villain 1Call  £0.60 £2.30 £11.10
    Turn

shakinaces Check     
    villain 1Check     
    River

shakinaces Check     
    villain 1All-in  £11.10 £13.40 £0.00
    shakinaces Fold     
    villain 1Muck     
    villain 1Win  £2.12  £2.12
    villain 1Return  £11.10 £0.18 £13.22
    villain 2Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £13.06
    xxxBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £3.85
    xxxAnte  £0.05 £0.20 £5.98
      Your hole cards
    • A

xxxFold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.30 £0.50 £9.70
    villain 2Call  £0.25 £0.75 £12.81
    xxxFold     
    Flop

• A
    • K

villain 2Bet  £0.75 £1.50 £12.06
    shakinaces Call  £0.75 £2.25 £8.95
    Turn

villain 2Bet  £2.25 £4.50 £9.81
    shakinaces Fold     
    villain 2Show
    • A

villain 2Win  £2.08  £11.89
    villain 2Return  £2.25 £0.17 £14.14
  • edited June 2014
    Bankroll £903.97

So, luckboxed my way back above £900 yesterday before taking the wise decision to take my tired-tilt offline to concentrate on the footy.

Played a bit on (football free) Friday but then got coerced into visiting the pub with an ex-housemate who had been left to babysit his girlfriend's Chinese uncles down the pub. An interesting night of awkward conversation, improved by the fact that one of them was the spitting image of the fella that did Gangnam Style and was equally excitable.

No poker Saturday as I was at a mate's stag party in London. Poor planning meant we were all completely oblivious (until already on the tube) that it had been booked in for the same day as Gay Pride... made for an entertaining wander from tube to first pub with a stag dressed as a middle-aged woman with Marge Simpson-style blue wig... we passed sights that a sheltered christian bloke from Swindon never thought existed in life. 

It's a weird world that there London Town.

I did sneak in a bit of youtube watching, which I believe highlighted a positional leak I had allowed to sneak into my game through being too aggressive. One of the many vids by (I think) SplitSuit, particularly useful as they aren't as HUD-heavy as most vids.

The footy was a mixed bag but this tournament just keeps getting better and even more fun!  After failing with (7/4) Neymar anytime/Brazil win, (11/10) Colombia was an easy nap of the day on Saturday to turn a small profit.

Then Sunday was utter variance in two cracking games. I'd long since written off (9/2) draw/Holland before the remarkable late turnaround saw me hit the bookies with runner-runner outs, before they got their revenge (7/1) Costa Rica to win 1-0 when Greece rivered a very late equaliser.

I love gambling and I love the world cup. Such a buzz!!
  • edited June 2014
    Speaking of luckboxing... In truth I think I played well yesterday, swapping tables fairly regularly to avoid too many tricky spots and bluffing way less than recent sessions / making a lot of disciplined folds.

This one probably doesn't fall in that category though.  TBH I didn't think oppo was as strong as they were and called the turn bet thinking I could be behind (J8 and KJ featured highly in my thinking, as well as several two pair combos) - although I'm not sure (even using implied odds) that I should necessarily be calling to try and house up (which would have felted me anyway with any other pair on the board).

A bigger set was a bit of a surprise as I'd have figured this oppo to donk or c/r the flop, but the turn donk was never going to be less than a two pair hand. I think the strongest of one pair hands (QJ) would still be happy to c/c the turn.

So yeah, pure shakinaces luckboxin.
    oppoSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £7.65
    xxxBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £4.50
      Your hole cards

xxxFold     
    xxxFold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.25 £0.40 £20.22
    xxxFold     
    oppoCall  £0.20 £0.60 £7.45
    xxxFold     
    Flop

oppoCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.30 £0.90 £19.92
    oppoCall  £0.30 £1.20 £7.15
    Turn

• Q

oppoBet  £1.20 £2.40 £5.95
    shakinaces Call  £1.20 £3.60 £18.72
    River

oppoBet  £3.60 £7.20 £2.35
    shakinaces All-in  £18.72 £25.92 £0.00
    oppoAll-in  £2.35 £28.27 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £12.77 £15.50 £12.77
    oppoShow

shakinaces Show

shakinaces Win Four 3s £14.33  £27.10
  • edited July 2014

First things first, I imagine that like a lot of gamblers, Germany's performance yesterday dented the world cup betting. Can't believe how vunerable they looked but there goes £12 that wasn't anywhere near going on a 0-0 draw lol.

It was just rubbing salt in the wounds that, having though 11/4 for Ozil to score anytime was a good price, he saves his one decent bit of football all game for extra time.  Sigh.

Still, onwards and upwards! Argentina have got to drag me back in the game again tonight... and I still think Belgium are overhyped, so may find a way to support the US dream!

Bankroll end June £932.18 pts 1,774

Another good end to the month that sees my balance up on where I was at the end of May - will take that after the mix of frustration play and cold decks hit the roll quite badly in the middle of the month.

And importantly, that number of points means that even with the distraction of the world cup, I've still put in a respectable quantity of hands to hopefully add to the learning / development of game.

That my only real frustration is that I have been bad beat out of every world cup freeroll (standard freeroll outcome) and not bagged a toy or gadget... but it is just a bit greedy to want to luckbox in one of those :)

• edited July 2014
    Sometimes I feel like I have no choice but to overlook the age old advice about never going broke in a limped pot.

Sigh.
    villainSmall blind  £0.04 £0.04 £3.06
    xxxBig blind  £0.08 £0.12 £4.52
      Your hole cards
    • K

xxxCall  £0.08 £0.20 £4.95
    xxxCall  £0.08 £0.28 £5.36
    xxxFold     
    shakinaces Call  £0.08 £0.36 £9.69
    villainCall  £0.04 £0.40 £3.02
    xxxCheck     
    Flop

• J
    • Q

villainCheck     
    xxxBet  £0.16 £0.56 £4.36
    xxxCall  £0.16 £0.72 £4.79
    xxxCall  £0.16 £0.88 £5.20
    shakinaces Raise  £0.80 £1.68 £8.89
    villainAll-in  £3.02 £4.70 £0.00
    xxxFold     
    xxxFold     
    xxxFold     
    shakinaces Call  £2.22 £6.92 £6.67
    villainShow
    • Q

shakinaces Show
    • K

Turn

• Q

River

• Q

villainWin Four Queens £6.40  £6.40
  • edited July 2014
    And speaking of crazy runner-runner, I definitely need to improve my timing around when I overshove the river...

I'm utterly amazed how many of these I've seen at the tables in 2014, don't know what the odds are but between the ones I've hit and the ones that have occured at my table it must be into double figures now in a 6 month period.

I nearly timed out on the river because the client froze while I was trying to turn off 'auto muck winning cards' in case oppo folded... shame on me.
    xxx Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.04
    shakinaces Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.38
      Your hole cards
    • A

xxxFold     
    villainRaise  £0.30 £0.45 £12.01
    xxxFold     
    xxxCall  £0.30 £0.75 £7.41
    xxx Call  £0.25 £1.00 £7.79
    shakinaces Call  £0.20 £1.20 £10.18
    Flop