You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Further misadventures of a fish at the cash tables

Comments

• edited May 2014
    Bankroll £757.33

Two car-crash hands made yesterday a bad day... was a bit surprised I was over 35 quid down in total, didn't feel as though the auto top-up had sucked that much outta me but so it was :/

The first I got it in with a pair of aces on a fairly dry flop and got done by two pair, then 60 seconds later let myself get tied to pocket aces when I could have gotten away with losing like £2-odd and accepted I was beaten... as it was I made sure someone got full value for a set that quickly made quads and didn't even leave me a couple of outs to try and sweat!

So another frustrating week taking a few steps forward, only to send myself back to where I started.  Sigh.
  • edited May 2014
    Cheers for the feedback BTW Craig.

I don't know if I maybe need to just give more credit to big c/r or donk bets at this level, I mean, there are obvious maniacs you can tag and know that calling down with nothing more than a decent pair will win over the long run, but for the vast majority of players it feels like you should have a good two pair as a minimum to be sticking around against such big bets (ie the AJ vs AQ and the straight vs FH hands)?

On a similar note, I appreciate that some of yesterdays losses were vs a loose player that I continue to donate too much cash to.  I get that I should just nit up and wait for hands vs those sort of players, but when you never hit a flop in a session against them it feels like there must be some sort of plan B that can be invoked, as opposed to weakly raising them in position with a strong range and then c/f when you have no pair / no strong draw on the flop...

Learning to continue....
  • edited May 2014
    Oh, and come on you R's!

Got to be better for the Championship to get the money bags back up to the Prem + ensure we get a chance to avenge this year's calamity against Derby in a couple of game next season ;)
  • edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: a little fish trying to out-swim the sharks...:
    Bankroll £757.33 Two car-crash hands made yesterday a bad day... was a bit surprised I was over 35 quid down in total, didn't feel as though the auto top-up had sucked that much outta me but so it was :/The first I got it in with a pair of aces on a fairly dry flop and got done by two pair, then 60 seconds later let myself get tied to pocket aces when I could have gotten away with losing like £2-odd and accepted I was beaten... as it was I made sure someone got full value for a set that quickly made quads and didn't even leave me a couple of outs to try and sweat! So another frustrating week taking a few steps forward, only to send myself back to where I started.  Sigh.
    Posted by shakinaces
    I know this feeling. I rarely keep track of how I'm doing, you know roughly (or think you do) but it's only at the end of the session where you know for sure. Sometimes it's like "WHAT! Didn't realise it was that bad!!!" haha
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £781.93 pts 849

The game of two halves last night... 

Late evening session saw a non-event of a £2BH where I stuck around for an age but barely ever even got above my starting stack, with cash dribbling away another £10+

I was going to stay away after that, but after a couple of glasses of wine during the champs league I figured I'd revisit the tables for a bit and had quite a swingy session that got lucky in a few spots - but ended nearly +£40.  Not as good as some though, a few of the regs must have timed their play beautifully... I joined one table where two of them were sat with like 700+BB... the second hand I sat at the table one of the big stacks shoved pre and got called for 80BB to run out QQ vs 62o... guessing some people had drunk a lot more than half a bottle of wine during the footy!!

And well done to the Rs... entirely undeserved after an underperforming season and being utterly outplayed on the day, but them and their bags of money being back in the Prem has to be good for the Championship... there was no way they could have been as bad next season.
  • edited May 2014
    Obviously, I'm not a good enough player to have a decent winning session without being a massive luckbox... sure, the AQ maybe could have got away, but this is a cold spot for the two oppos.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    xxx Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £4.80
    yyy Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £6.07
      Your hole cards
    • J

September7 Fold        
    shakinaces Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £16.52
    xxx Call   £0.25 £0.70 £4.55
    yyy Call   £0.20 £0.90 £5.87
    Flop

• Q

xxx Bet   £0.68 £1.58 £3.87
    yyy Raise   £1.50 £3.08 £4.37
    shakinaces Raise   £3.00 £6.08 £13.52
    xxx All-in   £3.87 £9.95 £0.00
    yyy All-in   £4.37 £14.32 £0.00
    shakinaces Call   £2.87 £17.19 £10.65
    xxx Show
    • Q
    • A

yyy Show
    • Q

shakinaces Show
    • J

Turn

River

shakinaces Win Straight to the Queen £15.90   £26.55
  • edited May 2014
    Although my poor play cost me three stacks at NL8 last night with QQ... I always have been terrible with the ladies!

I should have just folded pre... no-one limp 3 bets without a great hand.  And I ALWAYS fall for the flop overshove... at a push AA may be good in these spots, but less than that and you are never ahead*... yet in game it looks such a weird bet for someone to do with a strong holding that I continue to mug myself into calling. BR will be much healthier when I learn to just sigh fold and say goodbye to my preflop pot contribution.
    shakinaces Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £7.96
    Chris_Mc Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £8.66
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

xxx Call   £0.08 £0.20 £6.24
    johnfrum Fold        
    bendavis19 Call   £0.08 £0.28 £4.82
    MAGPIETYKE Fold        
    shakinaces Raise   £0.44 £0.72 £7.52
    Chris_Mc Fold        
    xxx Raise   £0.88 £1.60 £5.36
    bendavis19 Call   £0.88 £2.48 £3.94
    shakinaces Call   £0.48 £2.96 £7.04
    Flop

shakinaces Check        
    xxx All-in   £5.36 £8.32 £0.00
    bendavis19 Fold        
    shakinaces Call   £5.36 £13.68 £1.68
    shakinaces Show
    • Q
    • Q

xxx Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

xxx Win Two Pairs, Kings and 6s £12.65   £12.65
    * I appreciate there may be some weird levelling games, much more likely at higher levels, where the flop shove may be a bluff / draw, but at micro cash I'm sure anything other than a recognised maniac (who will likely have shoved pre anyway) will be making this play?
  • edited May 2014
    This one I think was harder to spot... if I get beat by quad aces then gg wp, but the way it played out I figured that other reasonable pairs from 8s up could easily be making the same play here... if you're reading this and think I'm wrong then please tell me, but have no issues with my own play going broke at this one.
    MAGPIETYKE Small blind   £0.04 £0.04 £5.03
    shakinaces Big blind   £0.08 £0.12 £8.31
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

pvdlover Call   £0.08 £0.20 £2.83
    The_sting Call   £0.08 £0.28 £4.79
    xxx Raise   £0.32 £0.60 £8.61
    Gibbo77 Fold        
    MAGPIETYKE Fold        
    shakinaces Raise   £0.88 £1.48 £7.43
    pvdlover Fold        
    The_sting Fold        
    xxx Call   £0.64 £2.12 £7.97
    Flop

• A
    • A

xxx Bet   £1.20 £3.32 £6.23
    johnfrum Call   £1.20 £4.52 £6.77
    Turn

• A

shakinaces Bet   £2.40 £6.92 £3.83
    xxx Raise   £4.80 £11.72 £1.97
    shakinaces All-in   £3.83 £15.55 £0.00
    xxx Call   £1.43 £16.98 £0.54
    shakinaces Show
    • Q
    • Q

xxx Show
    • K
    • K

River

xxx Win Full House, Aces and Kings £15.70   £16.24
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £779.15

Always fun when you write a message and it disappears when you post...

Back-to-front day yesterday, amazing start when I more than trebled up with a flopped full house that had three others get all in with me on the turn #luckyme

Then poker once again proved to be a cruel mistress as some rotten hands sucked all that money back plus a little more. A couple of them were through calling people overshoving the flop... I don't understand the play myself but it evidently works to get max value when you have AA or two pair and a mug like me is in the hand and can call off with QQ thinking an overpair to the board will still be good in that spot.

The one time I did make the 'right' call in this spot I was KQ v KJ on a K high board... inevitably the J popped up on the turn to teach me that I shouldn't have called in the first place as it was much more likely I was behind and just got lucky this time (on the flop at least).

At the point I was all in on another flop with T2P and lost to runner-runner it was time to go do some chores around the house and try to get the lounge one step closer to being ready for workmen.

Maybe there is something in the mental side of things that means I'll pick up when I'm not sat in a worksite, surrounded by bare concrete/plaster combo... just a shame it is going to destroy my non-poker roll to get it sorted!
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £781.48

Play pre-dinner and drop a buy-in, play post-dinner win a buy in.

On the basis of one day of evidence, I'm now going to eat a meal before every session and play better as a result.  So what if I get bigger as a result, I've heard loads of single women mention that it's nonsense that size doesn't matter and that the bigger the better... it'll be win-win, more money, more women.

In all seriousness though, for the past two months my later sessions do seem to chuck up better results than late afternoon / early evening - this is probably due to when other people play as opposed to anything I do, but perhaps I'm not flexible enough with my style vs the sort of players you sit with at 6pm vs those you sit with at 9pm or later... either that or stop logging on until 8pm + and do more DIY in the first few hours after I get back from work!

I think I probably got off lucky in quite a few spots yesterday, not least when holding KK vs AA and barely losing a quid due to the complete passiveness of the hand... will post imminently for subsequent forum beating! That was the most memorable example, but throughout the session I kept thinking 'wow, how did I lose so little?' - albeit I'm unsure how much of that was my own success vs suboptimal play by others.
  • edited May 2014
    lol turns out I didn't even lose a quid... what a nit!

FWIW the oppo had been playing super tight, folding most of my button raises and giving up to a cbet every time I could remember a hand getting that far, which is why I was 1/2 potting every flop - so the call set off my spidey senses on a paired board where a J would feature strongly in hands he might occasionaly defend with... arguably I could have even found a fold on the river given that logic, escaping for an even smaller loss... but it was so cheap!
    ssssssBig blind  £0.08 £0.08 £7.42
    Monty71 Sit out     
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

AHBaller Fold     
    kingmoney Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.24 £0.32 £8.65
    ssssssCall  £0.16 £0.48 £7.26
    Flop

• J
    • J

Spike2120 Check     
    ssssssBet  £0.24 £0.72 £8.41
    Spike2120 Call  £0.24 £0.96 £7.02
    Turn

ssssssCheck     
    shakinaces Check     
    River

ssssssBet  £0.48 £1.44 £6.54
    shakinaces Call  £0.48 £1.92 £7.93
    ssssssShow
    • A
    • A

shakinaces Muck
    • K
    • K

ssssssWin Two Pairs, Aces and Jacks £1.77  £8.31
  • edited May 2014
    Don't play junk vs stations? 

Should my preflop be tighter when faced with limp/callers - let's be honest, irrespective of how the hand played out, I was behind pre-flop if we assume that Ax and pairs form a good chunk of  a limp / callers starting hands - or broadway cards which mean I could just as easily hit a K and be dominated in the hand?

Obviously this particular occasion was just unfortunate, but the amount of limp/callers at this level hurts my head and I'm sure ends up costing me more than I win from them due to the amount of pots I raise with less than premium hands - more so when there are 2 or more limpers and I feel a duty to punish them!
    PearllJosh Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.42
    ZedsDeadBa Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.37
      Your hole cards
    • K

xxxCall  £0.08 £0.20 £3.30
    foxhunter Fold     
    shakinaces Raise  £0.32 £0.52 £19.96
    PearllJosh Fold     
    ZedsDeadBa Fold     
    xxxCall  £0.24 £0.76 £3.06
    Flop

• Q
    • J

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.40 £1.16 £19.56
    xxxCall  £0.40 £1.56 £2.66
    Turn

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.88 £2.44 £18.68
    xxxCall  £0.88 £3.32 £1.78
    River

• A

xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £1.84 £5.16 £16.84
    xxxAll-in  £1.78 £6.94 £0.00
    shakinaces Unmatched bet  £0.06 £6.88 £16.90
    xxxShow
    • A

shakinaces Show
    • K

xxxWin Flush to the Ace £6.36  £6.36
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £780.47 - pts now well past the 1k mark for 2nd month running

Managed to drop a few quid on virtually the first hand of the night AK < A5 vs a maniac that could easily have had worse on the A-high board... then nearly got my head above water but made a few poor plays and got deseveredly punished for raising rags again (Js6s on button vs 2 limpers, GII on flop of QJ6 rainbow and virtually dead vs Q6 - cold flop, but yet again no reason to have any money in that pot preflop).

One confusing spot was vs a shortie that had recently taken a beat and was going to be shoving all sorts, certainly worse than KQ (albeit, in this case, he actually was ahead pre)... but at cash should I be folding this, given there are others left to act?

Once I have called pre, is there any sense in betting the flop or should I be happy to check down a mid strength hand like I have?
    ssssssSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £0.73
    smtj661 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £13.47
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • K

shakinaces Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £15.89
    xxxCall  £0.30 £0.75 £9.33
    yyyCall  £0.30 £1.05 £7.55
    ssssssAll-in  £0.73 £1.78 £0.00
    smtj661 Fold     
    shakinaces Call  £0.48 £2.26 £15.41
    xxxCall  £0.48 £2.74 £8.85
    yyyCall  £0.48 £3.22 £7.07
    Flop

• Q

shakinaces Bet  £1.50 £4.72 £13.91
    xxxCall  £1.50 £6.22 £7.35
    yyyFold     
    Turn

• A

shakinaces Check     
    xxxCheck     
    River

shakinaces Check     
    xxxCheck     
    sssssssShow
    • J

shakinaces Muck
    • Q
    • K

xxxShow
    • A

ssssssssWin Three 10s £2.98  £2.98
    xxxWin Two Pairs, Aces and 10s £2.77  £10.12
  • edited May 2014
    Bankroll £829.68 pts 1,153

Pretty high variance session last night, which I eventually came out on top of. 

I'll be honest, there were some (maybe lots) sarcastic 'lol nh' type comments through the early session, where I kept seeing 40-80% of my stack sucked out on through an endless barrage of rotten river cards... had to watch running cards drop twice, once for a backdoor flush and once with top set vs bottom two (to split with a straight on board).

A few cases of staring at the ceiling then when a known maniac sat at my table and I started hitting everything, only for him/her to have seemingly completely changed their game from the last 20+ times I've played against them and folding flop for pretty small c-bets.

But luckily variance came in the right spots for once and I had a couple of just-over-a-BI pots later in the session where I was the one getting lucky - flopping a set KK /> AA and hitting my flush draw getting it in AA vs low set on the turn are two that immediately spring to mind.

I think overall my game was definitely helped by having re-visited 6-max 3-bet strategy, via a couple of articles online (2+2 and some other forum I now forget the name of).  I think that overall this was making my game more aggressive in the right spots and will continue to try and work with this over the weekend to see if I can continue to keep getting into good spots.
  • edited May 2014
    Fwiw from the hands you have posted you seem to be playing pretty optimally and I imagine you have a pretty big edge at 10nl.

My advice - Get in as much volume as possible and start playing 20nl when you hit 1k. Think you will be surprised how quickly your BR will grow. GL :)
  • edited May 2014
    Cheers for the post Chris. I definitely think I've made big steps improving on the basics of the past couple of months of more regular play... guess that the thing I need to work on most as I start to dip toes in NL20 (and maybe higher) is better reading / note taking of players and more appreciation of the range of hands I'm playing against...

I'm not that great at identifying spots, but am aware I'm still bluff c-betting too often vs players that will call all sorts and not v-betting light enough against, well, I guess the same players!

Looking forward to chatting through a bunch of hands with Lambert in the next week, which may help spot a couple of bigger / easier to fix leaks that can keep things moving forward.

Bankroll now £871.24 pts 1185

So there shouldn't really have been any play yesterday. It was the end of season blow out with my football club, converting the season's fines into drinks... at the age of 34 I should really know better, but nothing changes and it all still gets daft way too quickly.

After a stop at a place where one of the lads used to work a bouncer / got god knows how much free vodka redbull lined up for us all, the night eventually petered out but I found myself at home completely unable to sleep.

So, feeling like I may have sobered up a little after a couple of hours since the drinking ended, I fired up the laptop just after 5am and played 45 mins or so.

Not going to lie, getting AA and KK (and being paid off) in such a short session is a lot of run good, but there was some very... 'creative' play going on at that time of night which meant any reduction in the standard of my own play wasn't anywhere near enough to make me the table fish.

Don't get me wrong, I entirely know it was a poor decision to play and that will become a BIG leak if I don't cut it out, but on sober nights where insomnia hits I definitely need to consider popping online for an hour or so... fun tables all round!

I'm sure there will be one last session of the month to come, but the Froch v Groves fight will limit how much.
  • edited June 2014
    Bankroll to end May £853.09 - not sure on final pts as I ended up playing through midnight... guess I may have just hit 1,200?

Not exactly a flourish to end the month, but after spending most of May running a roll lower than my end to April it's rewarding to post a higher number again... must be running with variance in my favour!

No poker on 1st June, was back doing DIY then cooking up a meal for a bunch of friends.

Only poker was swimming with some simple learning last night, a short vid on post-flop strat vs 'fish'

As with almost all vids, the lack of pokertracker stats makes it harder to truly implement, but some interesting spots with the AQo and small pair hands... I've thought (and I think mentioned on here) that I should be folding small pairs from blinds.

It's a fair point that many oppos won't let you win stacks when out of position, and I'm sure if I was able to track my own hands I'd see that I'm an overall loser with small pairs?

Dare I say that I also play way too many 'creative' hands in position vs weaker players, which maybe I need to avoid doing and stick to a more patient game plan... saving the dodgier hands for playing the regs at this level?
  • edited June 2014
    ps is it just me, or does the commentator on that vid sound a bit like Jonah Hill?
  • edited June 2014
    Back down to £842.34 with pts at 116

Rotten first session last night, exaccerbated by losing probably £20 or so with just plain bad calls... it's still a big weakness that I end up calling lots of times when there are 20-30BB left on the river into a pot well in excess of 100BB - I know I'm going to be beat and oppo has got there on the river, but unless it's the most blatant of boards (ie 4 or 5 to a flush that in a suit I'm not holding) I still pay off that rivered set/2 pr and kid myself that 'enough of the time it'll be a bluff and I'm getting odds in the long run'.

I'm not. It's micro stakes. It's never a bluff. I'm just wasting my money when I should sigh-fold.

The second session started with a bang, when I went through a spot of AA, AA, QQ in consecutive hands at NL8 and the player to my right kindly donated the majority / all of their stack to me each time.

I was on the verge of posting a win for the day, when later in that session I got it in pre for 100BB AA v QQ... alas the Q hit and what could have been an escape with around a fiver profit, ended the day with £11 loss.

Can't really grumble though - if I'd played even a couple of hands better in the first session I'd have saved that amount and broken even, so no-one to blame but myself.
  • edited June 2014
    Back down to £824.02 with pts at 249

So, I ran OK two days ago and made it north of £860 again with a +2 BI day... then came offline for an hour or so coaching with Lambert180... then applying that learning (or trying!) saw me drop around 2xBI each session yesterday lol :)

In truth though the coaching session was really useful - despite my efforts and having gotten the occasional (normally half drunk) SNG going among some of my friends and family, no-one I know is really into poker and it's therefore not a topic I ever get to discuss with others. So even aside from everything else it was a huge help just to be able to talk things through with someone else that also loves the game and evidently can happily chat poker for a good length of time!

Lambert has the bonus of having spent such a decent time, still relatively recently, at the levels that many of us on here (including me) are trying not just to consistently beat but also to gain an increasing enjoyment for through learning and improving our game.

That experience obviously adds that much more credence to the advice on offer and provides useful logic to apply when back at the tables.... I'm having phone connection issues at the moment (would never happen if I still had an iPhone!) but if I could I'd be adding the picture to show the 'bet' / 'fold' reminder stickers that were added to the side of my laptop yesterday.

From a technical aspect, the method of reviewing hands on Sky / join me screen made it a bit challenging to card read at times. A lot of middling-cards were blurred such that it was hard to distinguise 2/5/6/9 - plus obviously it's not as sophisticated as the tools available on other sites where you can replay the hand one action at a time... I don't know that there is a way around that though, short of having recorded the hand live and somehow then being able to use that clip... perhaps I need to have a play with that myself one day!

And from a personal point of view, I hadn't realised how many hands I'd (foolishly) put up that had the legendary BAGGPUSS at my table... as much as Lambert's coaching was useful to improve my overall game, the dynamics of being at those tables invariably made for incorrect 'standard' micro cash play... at least that's my excuse for (rightly in the context of the coaching) having my mistakes flagged in those hands :)

So thank you very much to Lambert for donating his time to help steer me back on to the right course - I hope from your side you also saw it as a useful way to spend some of his time, be it from a coaching point of view (which I'm sure from my experience you will do a great job at, potentially building a well-earned supplement to the poker income) and / or from a self-learning point of view... I know from experience at work that sometimes my own skills are sharpened just by getting to coach others in a subject, so hopefully you get the same benefit from your first formal experience of coaching a (hopefully improving) poker novice!

Anyway... The losses yesterday were down to a different leak, perhaps pushing a bit too hard on the river and taking the 'bet for value' mantra too far. Will post a couple of examples of this on the next post to seek opinion to confirm / recommend alternative strategy etc.
  • edited June 2014
    So these are a couple of hands where I think like I have to put out a value bet... but should I be betting like 1/2 pot and forcing myself to always fold to a bet, saving the pot sized (or bigger) for the times I have a nut hand and hope to get paid off by a spew / cooler...

Or am I way off and are these spots where I shouldn't be value betting at all??

PS - a spot prize of micro-stakes kudos to anybody that can nail both oppo hands!!

Hand 1 - OK so the flop gives loads of options for what the villain could have - flush draws, straight draws, Kx - could even be peeling with a mid PP... turn card helps me but I don't think sees folds from anything apart from maybe the mid PP... then the river at the time I felt like I may still get paid by Kx (especially if K5/K4) and may get a call from Ahxh.... thoughts?
    xxxSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £6.53
    villainBig blind  £0.10 £0.15 £9.42
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • K

xxxRaise  £0.30 £0.45 £16.06
    shakinaces Call  £0.30 £0.75 £9.70
    xxxFold     
    xxxCall  £0.25 £1.00 £6.28
    villainCall  £0.20 £1.20 £9.22
    Flop

• K

xxxCheck     
    villainCheck     
    xxxCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.80 £2.00 £8.90
    xxxFold     
    villainCall  £0.80 £2.80 £8.42
    xxxFold     
    Turn

• Q

villainCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £2.00 £4.80 £6.90
    villainCall  £2.00 £6.80 £6.42
    River

• A

villainCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £6.80 £13.60 £0.10
    villainAll-in  £6.42 £20.02 £0.00
  • edited June 2014
    Hand 2: Kind of felt like a worse hand, was one of those where I really wished we could have timebanks on Sky as I was always planning to shove, but it then came one of the few cards that make me think 'uh' and then in the last few seconds panic I banged 'pot' and hit the 'bet' button (just because they are closest together lol)

And yes, looking back, turn bet should have been bigger.
    villainSmall blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.45
    xxxBig blind  £0.05 £0.10 £3.60
      Your hole cards

xxxCall  £0.05 £0.15 £4.23
    stationCall  £0.05 £0.20 £6.04
    shakinaces Raise  £0.25 £0.45 £10.07
    xxxFold     
    villainCall  £0.20 £0.65 £9.25
    xxxFold     
    xxxFold     
    stationCall  £0.20 £0.85 £5.84
    Flop

villainCheck     
    stationCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £0.50 £1.35 £9.57
    villainCall  £0.50 £1.85 £8.75
    stationCall  £0.50 £2.35 £5.34
    Turn

• A

villainCheck     
    stationCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £1.25 £3.60 £8.32
    villainCall  £1.25 £4.85 £7.50
    stationCall  £1.25 £6.10 £4.09
    River

villainCheck     
    stationCheck     
    shakinaces Bet  £6.10 £12.20 £2.22
    villainCall  £6.10 £18.30 £1.40
    stationFold    
  • edited June 2014
    I think you played hand fine and river is a sigh fold, considering he was in the blinds thenmy guess is 32s. I dont think its a low set as many opponents get nervous with the FD and then SD on turn.
  • edited June 2014
    Second hand I probably bet flop bigger and definatley bet turn bigger, against 2 others opponents on a draw heavy board you can get loads of value. Bad river card as you said, probably check calling a reasonable bet but its clear at least one had the FD.

Hand...I would go for a small flush. 94s/ 108s.
  • edited June 2014
    Second hand I probably bet flop bigger and definatley bet turn bigger, against 2 others opponents on a draw heavy board you can get loads of value. Bad river card as you said, probably check calling a reasonable bet but its clear at least one had the FD. Hand...I would go for a small flush. 94s/ 108s.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    Thanks for the feedback Craig - and enjoy your coaching with Lambert!

Check/call would have been my sigh-option out of position... do things not change when I'm in position and it has been checked round to me, a final piece of weakness from both oppos that means I could have the best hand (and at least one worse hand that can call)?
  • edited June 2014
    In Response to Re: a little fish trying to out-swim the sharks... : Thanks for the feedback Craig - and enjoy your coaching with Lambert! Check/call would have been my sigh-option out of position... do things not change when I'm in position and it has been checked round to me, a final piece of weakness from both oppos that means I could have the best hand (and at least one worse hand that can call)?
    Posted by shakinaces
    YW, and I hope I dont look/sound a fool but I am looking forward to it.

Ooops, didnt realise had got checked through. Your right, in that it is a good sign of weakness and this is a tricky spot as because you have shown strength through the hand then villians can definatley check a better hand to c/r you with so you always have that thought at back of your mind but, yeah, we can probably bet. I would make it more half pot if we did  though as as bad a card it is for you it could also be a bad card for them so scare them off easier. We can get value from 2 pr hands and lesser straights. I cant ever see any c/r being a bluff or worse than our hand so we can get away if that happens.

Checking back isnt the worst I dont think as pot is already nice and with two opponents it does increase the chances that one has hit the FD.
  • edited June 2014
    BR £828.35

Disappointingly I just realised that what I initially thought was a small + day, is actually another -1BI because I forgot to log last month's reward payment :(

It's been a real challenge the last couple of days to be a 'believer' and give up on hands far easier than I previously was... I spend most of the session mentally beating myself up that the continuing donk bets, check raises or bets where I don't cbet/cbet but give up turn can't ALWAYS be good and maybe the other players, for all the loose/stationy tendancies, have started to adjust to my reduced aggression and are now marking me as the fish.

That said, my discipline is holding in the most part. The only drip of note was calling with 3rd pair against someone who I was convinced was at it - the fact that shortly afterwards I was all in vs him on the flop with AA vs no pair no draw made me think it wasn't the worst of plays.

The pkr gods were otherwise super harsh on AA last night, not so much for me but across the tables I was on. I did have one cracked when getting all in on the turn vs QQ and getting rivered... but this was somewhat harsly evened up when KK v AA pre saw me turn a set vs an oppo that had been stacked in exactly the same way barely a couple of hands earlier - that was just sick and I genuinely felt harsh for that.

Ah well - plus side is that (I think) I've managed to add in a few useful notes that may help me to sneak a few quid back in the coming weeks... fingers crossed!
  • edited June 2014
    BR £838.31

No poker Friday, way too much nice weather so rolled straight from work to pub crawl. Ended the night finally braving a wander in the working mens club at the end of my road... and my only gambling of the day saw me win a meat draw and getting to enjoy a hangover-clearing fry up on Saturday morning.  That's the sort of run-good I want to experience!

They had a couple of tables of poker running in there as well, so going to have to check that out when I'm in a less inebriated state.

Saturday started horrifically and I lost over £30 in an afternoon session. A lot of that was a continuation of every pot I played seemed to see me facing either a large donk bet on the flop or being check/raised whenever I c-bet... given I didn't recognise the villains that led to a lot of folds and a lot of thinking 'am I just being beaten up and playing too weak?' Even the times where I did get a piece of the flop / had an overpair, the run-outs were just not kind and left me going from 'yay I've flopped a set, I'm going to double up' to, 'I really hope I can get to showdown without more money going in, hopefully with villain not having binked the 4-flush on board'

Then the evening session finally started to swing what had been a drop of close to £100 in the last couple of days. Three small winning sessions, one helped with bottom set vs top 2 during a rare visit to MC10 which left me with a bit of profit for Saturday (hooray!) and brings me back to around -30 for the month to date.

Currently weighing up whether or not to invest in a copy of The Mental Game of Poker... can't believe a second hand book is still priced up at almost £10... I'm such a life BR nit!  As per the posts on CraigSG's diary, improving how you deal with beats / swings is probably a bit part of keeping on the right path BR wise, so could well be a good investment.
  • edited June 2014
    ON a completely different note...

As I've started to try and focus more on improving my poker, the days of having the TV on in the background are behind me and I stick to having music to accompany my games.

I'm a lazy bug ger that hasn't got round to a spotify account yet and so often just ping songs on youtube to run in the background... some of which I'm sure will start to accompany future posts.

Anyway, last night I ended up with a session supported by The Strokes:

Dare I say this then made me feel incredibly old when I realised it is 13 years since this was released... aka 13 years since I left University.

By the power of (dodgy) gambling I ended up in Oxford (what was the Zodiac) the night they played their on their first UK tour... I have to confess to some jealousy at just how much female attention such fame affords a band! At the after-party I think pretty much every girl in their was jostling to be sat alongside the band, while me and the rest of the blokes gave up even trying to pull and drunkenly took turns to wrestle the lead singer of The Moldy Peaches, a surprisingly strong woman in a rabbit onesie, that was offering to take on all comers on the dance floor.

It also shattered a bit of starry-eyed fandom when I got my first beer at the bar and turned to see James Dean Bradfield of the Manics stood next to me. On TV I never realised it, but he is basically a midget. I felt like a giant.

So yeah, any good music recommendations to supplement my poker playing will be welcomely received. I wonder if there is a skew in results compared to the style of tunes you listen to in a session... more aggression if Slipknot is in the background, more creativity if throwing on a bit of Muse, shrugging off bad beats without a care in the world while some soothing classical music enters the mix?
  • edited June 2014
    Bankroll £937.66

Not going to lie, the numbers speak for themselves and I did run golden yesterday, even allowing for KK < QQ for 120BB or so early in the evening.  I think more importantly, I ran up in excess of 300PP which is indicative of putting in some (for me) long sessions where I think my decision making held up for all but the last ten mins or so - although even then, I'd dropped all but the softest tables with the plan to 'go to bed when the easiest spot stops reloading' (and stuck by that).

At the risk of upsetting those I sat with, the best part of my game was table selection and as much as the cards did help, being in position against weaker opponents makes it so much easier to benefit from that vs being surrounded by regs.  As more micro-regs replaced defeated fish, so I was seeking new spots to replace tables as opposed to fight on with tougher spots. Bumhunters aren't really as bad as people make out :)

Another foray into the NL10 MC was the one table that lasted throughout, with an interesting shift in dynamic. To start with I had immediate position on two good players (CraigSG and Larson) with three weaker players to my left - so a bit more 3-betting those behind and opening those in front (knowing I wouldn't be facing many tough decisions pre-flop)... then over time it evolved as the Craig and Larson left - Craig had position on Larson and stood up the first hand after Larson left... I can only assume that means he saw Larson as his 'spot'! :)

Then I had Hypeting and Dontelmum take position on me, but weak players sit to my right, taking away how many CO/MP opens I was able to sneak through, but making it easy to keep building my stack from taking on the limpers.

So a new high for the roll, if I can keep the momentum going then a bit more NL20 toe-dipping will be added to the mix (...not the Dane Bowers/Jordan type of toe-dipping)

Hand of the night is without question 7-6!