You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pudding's Tourny Adventure

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
Hello lovely Poker Peeps

Today is another day and time to look at spending another dollar. 

I was looking at the posts from a chap on here who had been playing smaller tournys and won a HUGE pot over a £1000 - respect is due and power to the man! He had been playing for over 4 years to get this good- do I have the patience to wait 4 years before I am good enough? I am not so sure. 

I hate to lose, competitiveness is a real weakness of mine. I accept loss with good grace and try my best to not grind my teeth as I watch others win; The worst is knowing that I let my impulsive impatience need to win make the decisions when playing and inevitably end up with diddly squat. 

Playing tight - although a fantastic tool in order to remain in the game whilst allowing those with bigger stacks take lumps out of each other, is frustrating. Wanting to play my usual hands, with a small annoying voice saying 'but the cards are not flopping well, you need higher cards' is infuriating. Last night I was on the short stack for ages. I played so tight only peeking out of my corner to play the picture cards or 10 / pic cards (I think). Anywho, I plumped to go all in on my final hand  with 2 pair; one high, one low. The chip leader on the table was my opponent. I felt I had the better hand and wasn't surprised when he kept pace with my bets as he had thousands more than I. Little did I know he was holding a low pair and I did have the best hand - until the river card when he was given 3 of a kind. 

Devastation!!!! The river can be so cruel! 

I understand that playing the large stack against the short stack in order to remove the short stack is kinda the point; one less player to worry about, but I can't help but pout a little that I lost.

Conclusion; Playing tight, although often necessary in order to play another round, SUCKS! 

However, I had a brilliant time. Had some lovely hands, wins and of course the people on the tables were fantastic. Playing poker makes me happy and long may it continue.

So today another tourny, but first a question: -

Does the time of day, when playing a tourny, make any difference to the quality of player? When to the elite play, am, pm, dawn, dusk???

Updates as I go and see how I fair :) 

Pudd x 

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Entered the 16.20 for a little later today. Can I wait that long before playing a hand? LOL, no!
  • edited July 2014
    GOOD LUCK PUDDING.

DEV.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Pudding's Tourny Adventure: Thank you Dev. Hope to see you on the felt some time soon :D 

Pudd x 
    GOOD LUCK PUDDING. DEV.
    Posted by devonfish5
  • edited July 2014
    All the best with your adventures Pudding.

The number of better players (arguably) starts ramping up from 8pm, as judged from when all the biggest tournaments are scheduled*

That said, the number of gambling recs is also at its peak then as well, so is still probably the best time to play!

* obviously this excludes the £2.20 @ 2.20pm... where has Rainman disappeared to?
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Pudding's Tourny Adventure: I saw Rainman at the blackjack table but a minute ago :) 
    Thanks for the answer. It makes sense to have the best & worst odds at the watershed. 

Pudd x 
    All the best with your adventures Pudding. The number of better players (arguably) starts ramping up from 8pm, as judged from when all the biggest tournaments are scheduled* That said, the number of gambling recs is also at its peak then as well, so is still probably the best time to play! * obviously this excludes the £2.20 @ 2.20pm... where has Rainman disappeared to?
    Posted by shakinaces
  • edited July 2014
    look forwards to hopefully seeing you in the 220@420 pud best wishes TTT
  • edited July 2014
    Oh big hairy balls! I lost the remainder of my balance in a cash game. I may have been over keen but I thought I had the best hand and thought I was being shoved by a lesser pair  with a bigger stack - I was in fact losing to a 2 pair. If I knew how to export the hand to this thread I could see how it looked from a different perspective. 

*sigh and pout*

Still, there is always the 16.20 :D
  • edited July 2014
    Hi pud. May i suggest instead of posting a different thread for each day that you maybe create a diary and do all your posting on there? Be good to follow your progress and people will enjoy reading because of your general attitude towards the game. Run well x
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Pudding's Tourny Adventure: How does one make a diary? Good thinking Batman! 
    Hi pud. May i suggest instead of posting a different thread for each day that you maybe create a diary and do all your posting on there? Be good to follow your progress and people will enjoy reading because of your general attitude towards the game. Run well x
    Posted by Matt237
  • edited July 2014
    Just post everything on this thread. Title is a good one :-)
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Pudding's Tourny Adventure: Ah, ok. I will do that :) Thank you Matt
    Ps, loved the Kebab thread tee hee
    Just post everything on this thread. Title is a good one :-)
    Posted by Matt237
  • edited July 2014
    The cash game fail - opinions & advice??

If only the hand would load properly - grrrrr. I try again later
  • edited July 2014
    My table is a joke! Jigsaw27 is the only point in watching & playing

I am MUCHOS unhappy!
  • edited July 2014
    Well, that was awful. I tilted and tilted and once I had regained my buoyancy I could not recover the chips. 

For the first time I came across a player who played in a way that was both erratic, agressive and disappointing.

I am an advocate for playing the game how one see's fit - but there are exceptions. 

Raising pf, raising before the T & the river and then again before the final call only to win 40 chips or so. 
    Shoving a huge pile of chips in the middle for a 4 10. How is one supposed to judge that player and their game tactics? 

I failed and instead of letting the player burn himself out, I got annoyed (I will add, I was not the only one who found this particular player uncouth) and tilted. 

Afore mentioned player was busted a few thousand chips with a 4/10 all in (??) and went out in a blaze of failure to compete. There is aggressive play, but this really was something else. 

So, I failed to compete myself and came a very dismal 16th - I can play better and should not have let myself become so annoyed - note to self; when finding another player's form to be unbearable - click the away button and leave them to it until busted and burned out.

* sigh* and no more pennies to play with booooooo

Until tomorrow my lovelies (waving gladioli about) have a good game and don't tilt like the Titanic!

Pudd x 

• edited July 2014
    I was bankrolled by Mogweedy (the beloved), to play in the BH tourny...... 

Was doing so very well, almost doubled up and then utter utter utter tradgedy....... Kflush loses to an Aflush - GUTTED.... I could cry :'(

Hand History #800883715 (18:11 25/07/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    phillips58Small blind 30.0030.005155.00
    selkirkBig blind 60.0090.004240.00
     Your hole cards   
    albakingFold    
    nogin109Call 60.00150.003772.50
    ThePuddingCall 60.00210.003590.00
    https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/hhdealer.gif') 100% 100% no-repeat transparent" class="dealer">bob12345Call 60.00270.001685.00
    phillips58Call 30.00300.005125.00
    selkirkCheck    
    Flop

• https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="spade">7
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="diamond">J
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="diamond">3

phillips58Check    
    selkirkBet 300.00600.003940.00
    nogin109Fold    
    ThePuddingCall 300.00900.003290.00
    bob12345Fold    
    phillips58Call 300.001200.004825.00
    Turn

phillips58Check    
    selkirkBet 60.001260.003880.00
    ThePuddingRaise 480.001740.002810.00
    phillips58Raise 900.002640.003925.00
    selkirkFold    
    ThePuddingCall 420.003060.002390.00
    River

• https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="spade">5

phillips58All-in 3925.006985.000.00
    ThePuddingAll-in 2390.009375.000.00
    phillips58Unmatched bet 1535.007840.001535.00
    phillips58Show
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="diamond">A
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-size: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="diamond">2

ThePuddingShow   
    phillips58WinFlush to the Ace7840.00 9375.00
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Pudding,I wish you good luck at the tables,am enjoying reading your adventures so far and the positive way you deal with adversity,it's all a learning curve as a good man once said to me..bah what do they know;)..look after your good man as my good lady looks after me (especially just lately when I have received some pretty bad news,but that's my issue and I don't want to hijack your wonderful thread,just my way of saying having a good woman at your side makes a huge difference in life)please continue with this ,once again good luck and take care.
  • edited July 2014
    good luck 2moro pud
  • edited July 2014
    GL with your progress and the continuation off your diary.

Not sure what browser your using but whenever i use google Chrome to post hands it comes out all wrong so i reverted to using firefox which seems to show the full hands if you want feedback on them

GL
  • edited July 2014
    Howdy howdy howdy delightful Poker Peeps :) 

I hope for those who love the sun you are basking in the ghastly rays of melting heat (;) and for those who don't like sun and heat - roll on the Autumn and Winter! 

There always seems to be a great divide between those that love heat and sun and those who prefer otherwise. I, myself prefer the cold - there is less pestilence, less sweat, less everything ugh - and in the Winter there is Halloween, Christmas, My son's Birthday, cold nights where it feels cosy and lovely inside to name but a few of my fav wintry things. 

But this year - has anyone else seen a rise in the fly population? We have tons! It may be that our dog has particularly tasty poo perhaps, but there are so many, even the little ones that dance around the light indoors (I will admit to being a murderess where these little blisters are concerned). 

However, in the summer there are beautiful colours, bees, the ever present hope of future goodness and mostly good vibes (although we have all been a victim of heat madness). So it is not all bad in the Summer, but still, bring on the snow and cold. 

Today is a trawling day - having a look at the tables and what is occurring - Are there any tournys recommended? 

Yesterday was awful awful awful - but then who doesn't have an off day - even the best; the Ivys, the Hellmuths, the Selbsts have an off day and they are pros - and human. I was at my most human yesterday and it did me good. 

A bad day will always teach me where I went wrong - looking at my hands again, looking at where I could have done better - and of course acknowledging the tilt factor. It's all good experience. 

In the end I was so tired and beaten (losing not once but 3 times yesterday did wipe me out slightly) that I was in bed and asleep by 9. Mogweedy watched Tin Tin on his own bless him, but this morning was woken to a huge Mogweedy smile, a very wet dog licked hand and a refreshed brain. Time to get my game on....

Oh ps - do people make friends on here, I seem to have any as yet? Please feel free to add.  

Good luck everyone playing today and see you over the felt

Pudd x 
  • edited July 2014
    Really enjoying your adventure so far pudd and your giant blue writing :)
    All the best and GL!
    Ducky
  • edited July 2014
    This is a very enjoyable read.Keep the posts coming.Nice to have someone with your bright,breezy and cheery attitude.
    Be good
    Paul
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Pudding's Tourny Adventure: Thank you Ducky and everyone who posted. 
    I use the bigger sized text so I can see what I am writing - only 33 but blind as a blind bat lol. 
    Really enjoying your adventure so far pudd and your giant blue writing :) All the best and GL! Ducky
    Posted by mrsduck
  • edited July 2014
    Ah ha, I found the FR tables - So I entered the 17.00 Mini 10 Seat FR - tbh I just want the prize, the seat in a bigger tourny not so much - I am not confident enough in my ability to play well enough to compete with the bigger boys and girls; but I don't expect to win this one either. However, the £50 prize pool would be sooo helpful - who doesn't need £50 these days???

Entered the 19.15 £100 DS

Will I see you there??

On to the cash tables *squirms* ...... Christ, I hope I do better than my last dalliance 

• edited July 2014
    hope to see you later pud
  • edited July 2014
    Yaaaay my son is home - 6yr old Man-Cub. He has been away a week with his Dad.

He is a proper gamer, like his Mummy and Step Daddy! Came in after having a little jaunt in the new car  (we bought a car yesterday, as you do lol) and straight on to the PS3 and Child of Light (awesome game imo). Man-Cub is an expert on all things (sanctimonious infant that he is) especially Minecraft. 

He is home less than 20 minutes and the PS3 is up, running and Man-Cub is happy. He has clearly missed the console & Minecraft - and I do so love hearing him talking to his characters as he plays along, making up little storys about the dogs, cats, Iron Golems and other nafarious characters he has put in his worlds.

Not a poker player yet, but he has shown interest in the game versions we have on the PS3 - he is very mathematically minded so who knows, he may find it thrilling in a few years when odds becomes of interest. 

For now I am happy to let him build, interact and have fun in his own way. 

• edited July 2014
    So, I failed to compete myself and came a very dismal 16th - I can play better and should not have let myself become so annoyed - note to self; when finding another player's form to be unbearable - click the away button and leave them to it until busted and burned out.

Noooooo

If you get a player like that invite me to the table - they are the best players. Yeah they will get there sometimes but they are the people you will always do well over time.

Good luck with your adventure sure i will see you around :-)

• edited July 2014
    Well well well - the return of the table joker; Only this time I wasn't rattled - I let the table leaders take the booty from the joker - who re-bought in twice. I had a couple bad beats - lost a lot on ace trips to a straight that I missed // A straight that was beaten by one card higher *face palm*. I was playing tight and playing only what I thought was a really good hand KQ / Q10 etc - and the table joker kept going all in - I didn't want to bust so I would fold knowing that the likelihood was the joker had a hand of nothing but dust and bogeys but I didn't want to go head to head just in case; this went on every time I played and when I didn't (I'm not suggesting some kind of conspiracy). 

I lost out when I was beaten by 2 pair  - one pair higher than mine. Although, the winner took 2 of us down at the same time and caught a lovely bounty, she also had the decency to say thanks which I thought was funny (haha, not weird funny). 97th out of 309 - can I say I did well, i'm not sure?

At what point do you take that chance on your cards and go against a chump who is playing a game of their own? Maybe I should have more gumption - I don't know :(

On to the 19.15 and perhaps more luck there :D 

I sincerely look forward to seeing some friendly faces and having a better time. 

Pudd x 

• edited July 2014
    look forward to it later pud
  • edited July 2014
    The 19.15 went very well - I placed 16th out of 80 (5 places from the bubble - errr how frustrating!)

I was the mega short stack for ages - tight tight playing and the assistance of The Conjuring on the gogglebox whilst I was playing helped loads. I managed to have 3 winning hands in a row and doubled up 3 times  - and that's when it happened............. I took a punt on a pair of nines and was called on my 12,000 or so chips  - lost to J trips on the turn

Was a terribly boring table, no banter or chat for the first 2 hours, and then once the tables started to balance, a few friendly faces turned up and went, & I left a couple behind still playing. 

I was lucky to see some lovely hands well played and some other hands badly played - all in 8 2 suited, that's more than a punt and no surprises a chunk was lost. 

Still - I think I am finding a new technique and style playing the tournys - one that serves me better than before - I am so very pleased with 16th out of 80. 

Probably a good idea to concentrate on getting the style right before thinking about entering into big tournys. 

Time for bed me thinks kiddiwinks. Good luck on your tables don't play too hard ;)

Pudd x

• edited July 2014

I actually thought you were going to complete the come back and go on and cash tonight in that 7.15. If you can play 3 tables at the same time, look out for the DTD comp here on Monday nights. 3 tournies all for £5.50 total including prizes for top 3 every week and month. Look out for this weeks thread with all the details on.

Oh.....nearly forget this....

MAXALLY4000001£45.60bennett04202£29.28BustedNuts03£18.24