You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Punta Cana Cash Kings FAQ

1235»

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Would be good if Sky can get an aswer to this question tonight (while the freerole is going on).
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Punta Cana Cash Kings FAQ:
    So what happens if 1st, 2nd and 3rd place all can't make it? Apparently it may be happening.
    Posted by PLEASEFISH

And an answer to this.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm glad after the first day I decded to give up on this promotion and take a break from sky whilst it was on. Shambles of a promotion really - it was a ridiculous idea straight up to make it based on hands played (with stakes being irrelevant for the priority only leaderboard) because it turned into a case of "How many 4NL tables can you physically play at one time" regardless of how many hands you actually play. (which sucks for those on a laptop and not a computer with 2/3 monitors)

A points based promotion would have been a lot fairer actually giving people that play 6-8 tables a reasonable chance against those playing 16-20 tables. I suspect as well less people would want to play that many tables at 50NL as opposed to 4NL.. since doesn't matter if you lose even 50BI's playing 4NL - it's only £200 to risk for a £3500 package. But losing that amount of BI's at 50NL is £2.5k - and risking £2.5k to potentially win a £3500 package just isn't worth it!
  • edited October 2014
    Generally, would be good if they stopped all rake race promos, imo.

Would much rather promos that rewarded, or atleast gave Recreational players a chance to win something.

Really feel it's better to reward rec players /> regulars.
  • edited October 2014
    I loved the promo.  Thought it was excellent!
  • edited October 2014
    I loved the promo.  Thought it was excellent!
    Posted by Donttelmum
    I wish you were in my tier and it was points based - I really wanted to see if I could beat you! I made 2k points after the first day so would have made around 60k points if I continued. Do you reckon you could have matched/bettered that? :)
  • edited October 2014
    Generally, would be good if they stopped all rake race promos, imo. Would much rather promos that rewarded, or atleast gave Recreational players a chance to win something. Really feel it's better to reward rec players /> regulars.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Rec players should have an oppertunity to win something but at the same time you still need to award reg's as well to make the site more attractive to play on. If they increased rakeback to 30% for getting in priority (with a maximum of 50% for say getting 50k points) then I wouldn't have a problem with them scrapping promotions like rake races and other promotions that favour regs.

I actually thought of a pretty cool promotion idea the other day which tries to benefit both regs' and rec's - a profit based promotion where it's about the amount won at a particular level. So it rewards skill over volume for the reg's. Have a 1st-4th cash prize for the winners and then the people with the biggest losses reward 1st to 4th. Then 5th to 10th in losses and 5th to 10th in winners maybe have a SNG for each of these with cash prizes. 

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Punta Cana Cash Kings FAQ : I wish you were in my tier and it was points based - I really wanted to see if I could beat you! I made 2k points after the first day so would have made around 60k points if I continued. Do you reckon you could have matched/bettered that? :)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I believe so.  Ive made over 60k in a month before and I was prepared to put hours in.  Plus, would have just played higher if I had needed too.  60k c4p was all at 20nl.
  • edited October 2014
    Yeah my money is on DTM!
  • edited October 2014
    Did you consider a 2k point day as a big day?  I ask as if you could up it to 3k+ a day I would struggle.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Punta Cana Cash Kings FAQ : I believe so.  Ive made over 60k in a month before and I was prepared to put hours in.  Plus, would have just played higher if I had needed too.  60k c4p was all at 20nl.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    60k over 3 weeks though is better!

How many hours would you be able to put in each day? Can you go without sleep for long periods/go with less sleep? Actually you did say earlier that you would be playing for 20 hours per day! 

My problem is when I go to sleep I have to have at least 8-9 hours otherwise I'm just far too tired. On the first day of the promo I started playing at midnight and went to sleep at 5. Woke at 12 the next day and was OK - then played near non-stop (maybe only an hour most where I wasn't playing) until 2 in the morning. Went to bed again and set an alarm for 11... woke up and was just really tired and felt horrible. Played for an hour and a half and decided I needed some more sleep...so slept for an hour and a half. After this though I decided to give up on the promotion anyway because I'd realised my mistake in thinking it was points based. 

I was playing only 50NL and playing quite a few omaha tables. I thought omaha would be "my secret weapon" too in this promotion because of it being a much more action based game and so I rake a lot more/quicker than in Holdem. If I could get down to just needing 5/6 hours sleep per night and then seeing if I could up the number of tables from 6 to 8 (and if more omaha tables ran) then maybe I could push for 80k in 3 weeks. Maybe you'd still win but would still be interesting to see!

• edited October 2014
    Did you consider a 2k point day as a big day?  I ask as if you could up it to 3k+ a day I would struggle.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Yup! :( Like I said it was about 16 hours 6 tabling. Works out at 21 points per hour each table. I said in my last post if I upped it to 8 tables and grinded 18 hours a day instead, then that actually would work out at 3k points per day. (although I would probably play slightly tighter and less hands per table, so maybe wouldn't quite be 3k)
  • edited October 2014
    I would find it very tough to make 80k in 3 weeks.  Though I wouldnt say impossible.  I'll maybe sleep 4-5 hours a night if I need to for a month.  This is fine when it comes to playing poker but I like to get to the gym and I find getting this much sleep really effects that.  I'd also say I'd do 5 or so nights without any sleep.  Aslong as there are enough tables going to keep me awake.

The hardest part is the consistency.  Anyone can do it for a day or two but see how many are still standing after a week or two.  The month seems to go on forever and your health deteriorates very quickly.  I think its the will to win that keeps me going, you cant beat abit of competition.  I'd be up for some sort of prop bet with you if you fancied some extra motivation?

• edited October 2014
    Utterly rediculous the figures they've released today. It's moved me down one spot on the medium stakes leaderboard which doesnt matter but assuming these are now correct, it would have had a big impact on how much other people needed to grind.

I nearly said something the other day about MIKEY only going from 64812 /> /> 669XX (from the 17th /> /> 18th Leaderboards). While Abound went from 64919 />> approx. 70500. When they grinded a similar number of tables for a similar time period (from what i saw). I have no doubt now that one set of these figures were incorrect. Look forward to hearing what Sky have to say.
    Posted by jh16
    I'm also looking forward to this still. As best as I understand at the moment, this is what happened,

Some of the tables were certainly raked hands, MIKEY and KAZUKO were always very close to Abound on raked hands tables, yet they weren't close on the final total hands table. KAZUKO would always play the action tables (SB and BB are equal size) which means more hands are raked hands, Abound would play these but less so. Yet Abound was logging more hours daily on average.

So at the last Sunday before the promotion ended MIKEY and Abound were shown to be almost equal on points (both around 70xxx). No doubt meaning that both players now decide they need to play lots of hours and tables until the end of the promotion. Yet when the final table was released it showed the mistake that these two players could not have been close on the previous Sunday (Abound went from 70xxx to 150xx and MIKEY from 70xxx to 111xxx, (Abound himself will say no way he played 80,000 hands in that period)) and if they had the correct table on Sunday then MIKEY would have probably played much less.

MIKEY is the one most damaged by SkyPoker's mistake. I'm very surprised we haven't heard from him on here.
  • edited October 2014
    Although it may not change much, nobody is mentioning that the final tables are number of total hands not number of total raked hands, while the promotion terms clearly state it should be number of raked hands:

Table headers:
    Rank     £2.50/£5 up to £10/£20     Prize Details     Hands
    Term:
    every time you play a cash game and are involved in a raked hand we will track it on our Punta Cana Cash Kings leaderboard . (A raked hand is defined as any hand in which you are dealt hole cards and a minimum of 1 pence in rake is taken.)
  • edited October 2014
    Yeah agreed about consistency - I don't know whether I would have it in me and that's why I never usually even try in any of the rake races on sky. This one was more lucrative than usual though and with the different tiers I thought I might stand a chance at it providing you weren't in my tier (wasn't really worried about anyone else or so I thought, but zinfan is obv a sick grinder too!)

The promotion was also ideal being only 3 weeks and before the Wednesday singles pool league I play in starts. (although I also play on a Thursday and our team would have been short a couple weeks had I not been able to make it this month because of this promotion!

Agree you can't beat a bit of competition. I did think of a prop bet of some sort but if we're grinding for 3/4 weeks for this prop bet then the money for the prop bet would have to be worthwhile for both of us.... and I wouldn't really want to risk more than £500 on it (would probably want odds in my favour too, but no idea what would be fair odds, maybe 3/1?) but don't know if £500 would be worthwhile enough for you to win for a long 3 way grind - when you consider the rake race promotions are usually more than that.

I wouldn't mind a smaller prop bet perhaps for fun though just over 24 hours to see who could get the most points! Might actually be fun if a few people did this!
  • edited October 2014
    Although it may not change much, nobody is mentioning that the final tables are number of total hands not number of total raked hands, while the promotion terms clearly state it should be number of raked hands: Table headers: Term:
    Posted by PLEASEFISH
    From what I understood this means that any hand that goes to a flop counts as a hand - regardless of whether you contributed to the rake for that hand?
  • edited October 2014
    3/1 in your favour when you play at least double my stakes!!!

Yea, get a few people involved and we'll have a fun one.  24 hours sounds good and always nice to get half way to prio after a weekend.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Punta Cana Cash Kings FAQ : From what I understood this means that any hand that goes to a flop counts as a hand - regardless of whether you contributed to the rake for that hand?
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Yes, it does. Sky confirmed this in this thread.
  • edited October 2014
    3/1 in your favour when you play at least double my stakes!!! Yea, get a few people involved and we'll have a fun one.  24 hours sounds good and always nice to get half way to prio after a weekend.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    haha, I dunno! I might play double the stakes but you play treble the amount of tables and can definitely grind like a beast! My avg points per month is only just over 10,000! I do need some motivation definitely to try and play more though.