You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?

Comments

• edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
    can someone post a pic of the position at adjournment tonight
  • edited October 2014
    R X P---H1--H6
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?:
    can someone post a pic of the position at adjournment tonight
    Posted by GELDY
    I'm in a bit of a pickle here...

Q D8 - D6
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
    LOL--- CHEEKY PRIMATE! ----B C4--D5
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?:
    LOL--- CHEEKY PRIMATE! ----B C4--D5
    Posted by oynutter
    Struggling!

R G7 x P G5
  • edited October 2014
    caps lock on BO LL OX
  • edited October 2014
    B D5 X P F7--- CHK
  • edited October 2014
    B D5 X P F7--- CHK
    Posted by oynutter
    K E8 - E7
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
    GG now--lol
    Posted by oynutter
    Couple more moves before bed, I reckon...

B F8 x R H6
  • edited October 2014

OK mate--- looks like a long one----what time you about tomorrow?
  • edited October 2014
    OK mate--- looks like a long one----what time you about tomorrow?
    Posted by oynutter
    I may pop on in the morning before work, but other than that it won't be until about six.

So... what about that RNG, eh? ;)
  • edited October 2014
     I think we have proved beyond all reasonable doubt that random actions are generated on skypoker!

Work tomorrow?!--- go to bed you Nutter!--lol--- will hold my move, so you can get to sleep---lol
  • edited October 2014
    looking at TKs pic you're a jammy b*stard Slippy assuming it's your move.

I'm impressed that oynutter spotted your attempt to use a hyper-modern defense. So he cleverly took you out of theory as early as move 2 with his Bf1c4. You responded in kind, eschewing the traditional response of Nf6 in favour of the esoteric h6. 10/10 for audacity but -several million for strategy. in fact i've only ever seen this once in 90 million games. That time white followed up with pawn to c3 and won. oynutter's speculative pawn to h3 meant that in the space of less than 3 moves each you had reached a position never seen before in recorded chess history. truly random.
  • edited October 2014

Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?

posted at 19/10/2014 8:23 PM BST on SkyPoker.com
    First: 20/5/2009
    Last: 21/10/2014
    In Response to Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?:
    One for the techies....... I was recently in a discussion with some live players and one of them brought up the usual "internet poker is rigged". However, it wasn't about any particular site but rather that the RNG on all sites can be set within a range and so some sites have it set more "action-orientated" than others, for want of a better phrase. Is this possible?
    Posted by Maggiesdad

Hi Mike.

In short, "no". 

By definition, random is random. You cannot set "random" to be somehow ordered. 

posted at 20/10/2014 9:52 AM BST on SkyPoker.com
    First: 20/10/2014
    Last: 21/10/2014
    The simple answer is yes.  And they are set to function within preset parameters.

A poker RNG will only have to work on a range of 1 - 52, where as a Roulette RNG would be working a range if 1 - 37.  Then a bingo RNG, well you get the picture.

Technically it is possible to do as you have described, ie tighten the range up so that only cards higher than a 9 are dealt, ie action flops.  But it would be hard to see who would benefit.

I have had one experience on line where I believe the RNG had been adjusted.

A couple if years ago 888 had a straight flush promotion, where everyone who hit a straight flush over a particular weekend qualified for a freeroll, without playing any real volume I managed to hit 3  and witnessed several others.

Could have simply been coincidence  but I  excluded myself permanently from that site  simply because I no longer trusted it .

posted at 20/10/2014 11:56 AM BST on SkyPoker.com
    First: 30/10/2009
    Last: 20/10/2014
    The answer to your question in yes.

The word random in RNG means that you cannot predict the outcome and that every outcome is possible, that's not to say that an RNG couldn't be programmed to make some outcomes more probable than others.

That's just simple maths.

The whole question of 'is online poker rigged' is a bit of a boring one though.  Sites have their RNG's audited and verified and it's just not worth their time in making it anything other than a fair and random deal.  There are so many pairs of eyes on the data that if anything could ever be proved with hard evidence that an RNG was fixed, then the reputation of the site (and online poker in general) would be destroyed.

The good sites make a decent amount of money, without needing to get greedy.

posted at 20/10/2014 12:53 PM BST on SkyPoker.com
    First: 28/12/2009
    Last: 20/10/2014
    So reading these posts some say no some say yes cant both be right surely,in my time with online poker ive never ever thought it was rigged in anyones favour but however i do believe the rng is set to create action among players, but then saying that  rng can not guess what players are going to do with any 2 cards,debate would rage on for many years on this topic.
  • edited October 2014
      Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? posted at 19/10/2014 8:23 PM BST on SkyPoker.com Tikay10 Posts: 22945 First: 20/5/2009 Last: 21/10/2014 In Response to Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : One for the techies....... I was recently in a discussion with some live players and one of them brought up the usual "internet poker is rigged". However, it wasn't about any particular site but rather that the RNG on all sites can be set within a range and so some sites have it set more "action-orientated" than others, for want of a better phrase. Is this possible? Posted by Maggiesdad Hi Mike. In short, "no".   By definition, random is random. You cannot set "random" to be somehow ordered.  Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? posted at 20/10/2014 9:52 AM BST on SkyPoker.com Quixla Posts: 4 First: 20/10/2014 Last: 21/10/2014 The simple answer is yes.  And they are set to function within preset parameters. A poker RNG will only have to work on a range of 1 - 52, where as a Roulette RNG would be working a range if 1 - 37.  Then a bingo RNG, well you get the picture. Technically it is possible to do as you have described, ie tighten the range up so that only cards higher than a 9 are dealt, ie action flops.  But it would be hard to see who would benefit. I have had one experience on line where I believe the RNG had been adjusted. A couple if years ago 888 had a straight flush promotion, where everyone who hit a straight flush over a particular weekend qualified for a freeroll, without playing any real volume I managed to hit 3  and witnessed several others. Could have simply been coincidence  but I  excluded myself permanently from that site  simply because I no longer trusted it . Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? posted at 20/10/2014 11:56 AM BST on SkyPoker.com Fortunatus Posts: 24 First: 30/10/2009 Last: 20/10/2014 The answer to your question in yes. The word random in RNG means that you cannot predict the outcome and that every outcome is possible, that's not to say that an RNG couldn't be programmed to make some outcomes more probable than others. That's just simple maths. The whole question of 'is online poker rigged' is a bit of a boring one though.  Sites have their RNG's audited and verified and it's just not worth their time in making it anything other than a fair and random deal.  There are so many pairs of eyes on the data that if anything could ever be proved with hard evidence that an RNG was fixed, then the reputation of the site (and online poker in general) would be destroyed. The good sites make a decent amount of money, without needing to get greedy. Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? posted at 20/10/2014 12:53 PM BST on SkyPoker.com CHILLIE Posts: 362 First: 28/12/2009 Last: 20/10/2014 So reading these posts some say no some say yes cant both be right surely,in my time with online poker ive never ever thought it was rigged in anyones favour but however i do believe the rng is set to create action among players, but then saying that  rng can not guess what players are going to do with any 2 cards,debate would rage on for many years on this topic.
    Posted by Maggiesdad
    Ha! Well done Mike.

Ask a question on a poker forum, & all you have to do then is select the answer you think is right.

I'm prefrctly happy with the reply I gave.  In all the history of Online Poker, & all the various dodges we have seen elsewhere (Absolute etc), there has never been a case of a dodgy RNG. I doubt there ever will be, either - every crime has to have a motice, & no site would ever benefit from doing it.

CAN it be done? Yes, of course.

WOULD it? No way. Be the most ridiculous thing ever as the site would not benefit.

PS - Good result at the weekend v QPR, well done.

• edited October 2014
    If you mess with a RNG then it is no longer random, so a simple answer is you cannot mess with a RNG as it becomes something other than a RNG if you do. Could the site then put in something else pretending it was a RNG, Yes they could but it would be pointless unless they wanted the site to die. If they did it I assure you some bright spark would work out what they were up to and the publicity would destroy them. On top of all that why would they want to do it anyway, they get the rake whoever wins the pot, poker by it's nature is very susceptable to variance, so does not require any help there, and who can predict what the players will do.
    It is often thought to be different online, but that is because of the extra number of hands you play online so therefore you see more bad beats etc. To give you an idea you may play say 20 hands live in an hour where someone was a 90% favourite say, that means 1 in 10 they will lose, therefore 2 of these hands you would class as bad beats, as not all of these go to showdown you would probably see one bad hand in an hour. Online hands are played quicker and even if only playing one table you will see more bad beats have you have seen more hands. As an extreme example I shall use myself as I often multitable, the other day I played approx 1400 hands in one hour, which means I will see approx 70 bad beats an hour to a live players one. Someone once said to me just ignore it or else "that way leads to madness"
  • edited October 2014
     I think we have proved beyond all reasonable doubt that random actions are generated on skypoker!  Work tomorrow?!--- go to bed you Nutter!--lol--- will hold my move, so you can get to sleep---lol
    Posted by oynutter
    And..... GO!
  • edited October 2014
     Hiya Slippery---- B--- E6--H3
  • edited October 2014
     Hiya Slippery---- B--- E6--H3
    Posted by oynutter
    Evenin'... :)

N F6 x P E4
  • edited October 2014
    looking at TKs pic you're a jammy b*stard Slippy assuming it's your move. I'm impressed that oynutter spotted your attempt to use a hyper-modern defense. So he cleverly took you out of theory as early as move 2 with his Bf1c4. You responded in kind, eschewing the traditional response of Nf6 in favour of the esoteric h6. 10/10 for audacity but -several million for strategy. in fact i've only ever seen this once in 90 million games. That time white followed up with pawn to c3 and won. oynutter's speculative pawn to h3 meant that in the space of less than 3 moves each you had reached a position never seen before in recorded chess history. truly random.
    Posted by GELDY
    LOL---- Nice synopsis Geldy, but did you spot the way Slip lulled me into a false sense of security by announcing he did'nt have a board--lol--- that inspired me to threaten mate with Q--F3 --- , a move I would never try with a good player that had a board--- ;)
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : LOL---- Nice synopsis Geldy, but did you spot the way Slip lulled me into a false sense of security by announcing he did'nt have a board--lol--- that inspired me to threaten mate with Q--F3 --- , a move I would never try with a good player that had a board--- ;)
    Posted by oynutter
    Never trust a poker player, mate - Rule 1.