You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?

123457»

Comments

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?:
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : I was basing my comment on: The sites Help and Support section: “Random Number Generator” states (today 20/10/2014) - TST conducted an audit of Sky Betting and Gaming in September 2009. Perhaps the site could consider modifying the above information and confirming that the site has had a more recent audit. 
    Posted by somer
    RNG certified 2009, SkyPoker audited annually

• edited October 2014
    would a poker site need to touch the rng to affect outcomes?--lol--- get real !
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings?:
    would a poker site need to touch the rng to affect outcomes?--lol--- get real !
    Posted by oynutter
    I love the idea that some people will have you believe there's this guy sitting in a booth, with nine-hundred-and-eighty-seven screens around him, furiously watching every table. He rarely has the time to blink and God forbid he should want to use the bathroom.

It's then his job to look at each player, pick his favourite, check their bankrolls, look at the respective chip stacks, take into consideration how unlikely a particular card would be, then pick that exact card to play on each street. Of course he also has to ensure that at least two people have a monster hand pre flop, because AA would only ever meet KK if someone was massaging the cards, right? It's just statistically improbable. And you've always got the aces and the other guy always spikes a king, yeah? Of course. It's the guy in the booth I told you about back in the first paragraph.

But he doesn't just throw big hands into each other, no. He also has to watch out for those tricky players who decide to go nuts and shove all-in with something like 10 2. That wasn't in the script! But it's all right, because he catches the strange behaviour on screen seven-hundred-and-ninety-four while he's choosing cards for another table and he makes sure the flop comes down 10 2 2. Crisis averted, huh? That silly move almost went unrewarded. And now you're drawing pretty thin with your decent big pair. But you don't hit the cards you need because you never do, do you? It's always the other guy who gets there.

And that just compounds your belief that it's fixed, and that guy in the booth (remember him?) really does seem to want to destroy you. So then you're standing up and you go off to watch TV instead, because as you've always thought: a violated RNG loves nothing more than taking your money and your chips and dumping you off the table and out of a tournament.

But you'll come back and try again, won't you? Just once, just to see if the RNG has found a conscience or maybe - just maybe - you think that if you start shoving with 10 2 the guy will recognise your avatar and your username from screen seven-hundred-and-ninety-four, and throw down a full house on the flop for you.

But he doesn't. You're up against aces and you're out again.

Why does he hate you?
  • edited October 2014
     There is a site, still operating, that fixed every card in a cash game---- I sussed them and they threatened my life--- not a joke!----- a fact !
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : Hi Mike. In short, "no".  By definition, random is random. You cannot set "random" to be somehow ordered. 
    Posted by Tikay10
    So Tikay, the RNG produces a random shuffle and is audited. Is the software that delivers the shuffled deck from the RNG to the table also audited? In other words, are the random shuffles delivered to the table in the strict order they are produced without any omissions
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : I love the idea that some people will have you believe there's this guy sitting in a booth, with nine-hundred-and-eighty-seven screens around him, furiously watching every table. He rarely has the time to blink and God forbid he should want to use the bathroom. I
    Posted by Slipwater
    Isn't that DTM ?? :-)
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : So Tikay, the RNG produces a random shuffle and is audited. Is the software that delivers the shuffled deck from the RNG to the table also audited? In other words, are the random shuffles delivered to the table in the strict order they are produced without any omissions
    Posted by lee100
    Jesus.

He's kind of shafted however he answers that, don't you think?
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : So Tikay, the RNG produces a random shuffle and is audited. Is the software that delivers the shuffled deck from the RNG to the table also audited? In other words, are the random shuffles delivered to the table in the strict order they are produced without any omissions
    Posted by lee100
    2 RNG's now thats different!
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : 2 RNG's now thats different!
    Posted by VespaPX
      But he didn't say 2, more like 1 with accompanying software, me thinks.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : I love the idea that some people will have you believe there's this guy sitting in a booth, with nine-hundred-and-eighty-seven screens around him, furiously watching every table. He rarely has the time to blink and God forbid he should want to use the bathroom. It's then his job to look at each player, pick his favourite, check their bankrolls, look at the respective chip stacks, take into consideration how unlikely a particular card would be, then pick that exact card to play on each street. Of course he also has to ensure that at least two people have a monster hand pre flop, because AA would only ever meet KK if someone was massaging the cards, right? It's just statistically improbable . And you've always got the aces and the other guy always spikes a king, yeah? Of course. It's the guy in the booth I told you about back in the first paragraph. But he doesn't just throw big hands into each other, no. He also has to watch out for those tricky players who decide to go nuts and shove all-in with something like 10 2. That wasn't in the script! But it's all right, because he catches the strange behaviour on screen seven-hundred-and-ninety-four while he's choosing cards for another table and he makes sure the flop comes down 10 2 2. Crisis averted, huh? That silly move almost went unrewarded. And now you're drawing pretty thin with your decent big pair. But you don't hit the cards you need because you never do, do you? It's always the other guy who gets there. And that just compounds your belief that it's fixed, and that guy in the booth (remember him?) really does seem to want to destroy you. So then you're standing up and you go off to watch TV instead, because as you've always thought: a violated RNG loves nothing more than taking your money and your chips and dumping you off the table and out of a tournament. But you'll come back and try again, won't you? Just once, just to see if the RNG has found a conscience or maybe - just maybe - you think that if you start shoving with 10 2 the guy will recognise your avatar and your username from screen seven-hundred-and-ninety-four, and throw down a full house on the flop for you. But he doesn't. You're up against aces and you're out again. Why does he hate you?
    Posted by Slipwater

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : I love the idea that some people will have you believe there's this guy sitting in a booth, with nine-hundred-and-eighty-seven screens around him, furiously watching every table. He rarely has the time to blink and God forbid he should want to use the bathroom. It's then his job to look at each player, pick his favourite, check their bankrolls, look at the respective chip stacks, take into consideration how unlikely a particular card would be, then pick that exact card to play on each street. Of course he also has to ensure that at least two people have a monster hand pre flop, because AA would only ever meet KK if someone was massaging the cards, right? It's just statistically improbable . And you've always got the aces and the other guy always spikes a king, yeah? Of course. It's the guy in the booth I told you about back in the first paragraph. But he doesn't just throw big hands into each other, no. He also has to watch out for those tricky players who decide to go nuts and shove all-in with something like 10 2. That wasn't in the script! But it's all right, because he catches the strange behaviour on screen seven-hundred-and-ninety-four while he's choosing cards for another table and he makes sure the flop comes down 10 2 2. Crisis averted, huh? That silly move almost went unrewarded. And now you're drawing pretty thin with your decent big pair. But you don't hit the cards you need because you never do, do you? It's always the other guy who gets there. And that just compounds your belief that it's fixed, and that guy in the booth (remember him?) really does seem to want to destroy you. So then you're standing up and you go off to watch TV instead, because as you've always thought: a violated RNG loves nothing more than taking your money and your chips and dumping you off the table and out of a tournament. But you'll come back and try again, won't you? Just once, just to see if the RNG has found a conscience or maybe - just maybe - you think that if you start shoving with 10 2 the guy will recognise your avatar and your username from screen seven-hundred-and-ninety-four, and throw down a full house on the flop for you. But he doesn't. You're up against aces and you're out again. Why does he hate you?
    Posted by Slipwater
    Too much time on your hands .....but very well played :@P
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : Too much time on your hands .....but very well played :@P
    Posted by churchy18
    I've always got five minutes for a rant ;)
  • edited October 2014
    Posted by lee100
    Hi Lee,

I don't have the faintest idea, sorry.

I would have thought that the whole process would fall within the audit - there would not be much point in auditing it otherwise, would there? Any part of the software process that includes the RNG must surely fall within the audit, I would have thought.

I'm just guessing though, I don't actually know.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. I would suggest either Customer Care or AGCC may be better placed to answer.  

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : Hi Lee, I don't have the faintest idea, sorry. I would have thought that the whole process would fall within the audit - there would not be much point in auditing it otherwise, would there? Any part of the software process that includes the RNG must surely fall within the audit, I would have thought. I'm just guessing though, I don't actually know. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I would suggest either Customer Care or AGCC may be better placed to answer.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay

Very surprised you don't know the answer to an important question like that, as it's an answer that should be cut and dry i would of thought. As for your suggestion, the AGCC say it is something that Sky should and can answer.
  • edited October 2014
    Lee, you seem to think Tikay is some sort of technology whizz over at Sky towers. He isn't. 

If you want answers to technical questions, ask a technical person. There's probably an e-mail address knocking around somewhere.
  • edited October 2014
    Seems like people have derailed the chess thread:P
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : Hi Tikay Very surprised you don't know the answer to an important question like that, as it's an answer that should be cut and dry i would of thought. As for your suggestion, the AGCC say it is something that Sky should and can answer.
    Posted by lee100

Hi Lee100

In defense of Tikay, and we know he will take this the right way, he is not the techical expert as to the ins and outs of our RNG or any other Sky Poker system for that matter (although we're sure he trusts it) - nor should be be. However, we are and we work very closely with the AGCC and others closely on this.

The RNG is random, it's as simple as that. Therefore it is not 'rigged', 'tweaked' or anything similar people have said. It does not favour any player(s). It does not think, it just effectively deals cards randomly. This is not just our view, it is independently audited and to the satisfaction of the people that give us a license. We want it to be random too.

Trust is a very important thing for Sky Poker, Sky Betting & Gaming and BSkyB overall and so we strive a lot to maintain that. We have a great community of players here and people trust us to provide a fair and fun place for them to play. If people didn't really trust us, they wouldn't play here.

We have let this thread run and are happy to have a conversation about this. However, please do remember this forum rule, that you are not allowed to say - "Comments that can be construed to question Sky Poker's integrity, game fairness, security or random number generation".

We hope that helps. If anybody does have anything they would like to discuss on this matter please contact customer care and we'll be glad to help.

Have a good day everyone and good luck at the tables.

Thanks
    Sky Poker

• edited October 2014
    Great post skypoker
    bit tough on tikay having to be the non technical expert. 
    Guess you need to get ready for the poster who wants to see skypoker'sYouTube video about its RNG. "Well *** has one, why doesn't skypoker? What are you trying to hide? "
    double edged swords and all that. 
    Thanks for allowing the thread to continue as it's been very interesting. particularly Slipwater's take on the Pirc defence and the oynutter's response. I'd say what a flopwit but i don't know if that is good or bad! 
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : Hi Lee100 In defense of Tikay, and we know he will take this the right way, he is not the techical expert as to the ins and outs of our RNG or any other Sky Poker system for that matter (although we're sure he trusts it) - nor should be be. However, we are and we work very closely with the AGCC and others closely on this. The RNG is random, it's as simple as that. Therefore it is not 'rigged', 'tweaked' or anything similar people have said. It does not favour any player(s). It does not think, it just effectively deals cards randomly.  This is not just our view, it is independently audited and to the satisfaction of the people that give us a license. We want it to be random too. Trust is a very important thing for Sky Poker, Sky Betting & Gaming and BSkyB overall and so we strive a lot to maintain that. We have a great community of players here and people trust us to provide a fair and fun place for them to play. If people didn't really trust us, they wouldn't play here. We have let this thread run and are happy to have a conversation about this. However, please do remember this forum rule, that you are not allowed to say - " Comments that can be construed to question Sky Poker's integrity, game fairness, security or random number generation". We hope that helps. If anybody does have anything they would like to discuss on this matter please contact customer care and we'll be glad to help. Have a good day everyone and good luck at the tables. Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Sorry I asked now!

Just for clarification so that nobody is in any doubt.

I do not believe that Sky Poker has a RNG that favours one player over another. Nor have I implied this in the opening post.

Or that the RNG favours one stack size over another.

Or blondes over brunettes.

Or even Scousers over the rest of the world (that would mean that the little man whose job it is to watch all 987 screens would be Scouse and stereotyping dictates that no Scouser has a job).

Run well all
  • edited October 2014
    Seems like people of derailed the chess thread:P
    Posted by LARSON7
    Edited to reflect modern spazzy English
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : Edited to reflect modern spazzy English
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Edited to reflect derogatory terminology...lol
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can the RNG on all sites be programmed within a range of settings? : you should be ashamed  
    Posted by aussie09
    Whats worse.....saying that word or making light of a young woman losing her life?

PS if you were being sarcastic then apologies ;)
  • edited October 2014
    You don't play chess then Lee...?.
  • edited October 2014
    this post seem to have been trolled in feedback and suggestions
  • edited October 2014
    this post seem to have been trolled in feedback and suggestions
    Posted by CATCH-22
    For the most part it has been a pretty good thread :)
  • edited October 2014
    yeh been good but check feedback thread anonymous seems to have some issues or agenda
  • edited October 2014
    yeh been good but check feedback thread anonymous seems to have some issues or agenda
    Posted by CATCH-22
    P - D6
  • edited October 2014
    http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/rng/

For those of you that thinks online poker is rigged!