You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The 2015 WSOP thread.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: The 2015 WSOP thread.:
     hi tk hoping your having a great time. been watching your updates on you tube ,and noticed when you were interviewing daniel negreanu, jimmy white the snooker player walked past behind you. anyway good luck ,hope you have a successful trip.
    Posted by epwb
    Thanks EP.

Yes, that was pointed out to me by several others - you guys don't miss much.

We actually interviewed Jimmy White yesterday - look out for the Video on our You Tube Channel later today, assuming it gets through edit unscathed.
  • edited July 2015
    Wth the bulk of the chat regarding the Sky players in the ME now on other threads, I will keep this one going as a wider overview of the tournament as it progresses.

The 3 Day 1s of the ME are over, and in pleasing news, Day 1C was the largest Day 1 in Main Event history. That pulled the total entries up to 6420, down only 200 or so on last year which is a lot better than it looked like it was going to be after Days 1 A & B.
    4371 eventually made it to one or other of the day 2s, and among them of course were former winners, bracelet holders, renowned pros, ex-November Niners plus 4 Sky Qualifiers.
    Daren Moreton made it through from Monday, but on Tuesday Brett Gritton, Nicolas Lategano & Martin Brinkmann all joined him.

John Gorsuch had the big stack at the end of Day 1C ahead of Zarik Megerdichian & David Peyser. We lost our first four former Champions, last years winner Martin Jacobsen amongst them with Jerry Yang, Joe Cada & Greg Merson joining him on the rail.

Phil Hellmuth turned up fashionably late as usual and was sat on the same table as Phil Ivey for most of the day.

British qualifiers (apologies if I have missed any out, but there are so many errors on the WSOP feed it's easy to overlook one or two)

Ben Vinson leads the GB Contingent with 114700 chips for 48th on the day.
    Chun Law is listed with 107050 but another Chun Law from London had a similar number on Day 1A so I don't know if there are two of them or this is a mistake.
    Eric Landau (listed incorrectly from Gabon)
    Tom Alner
    Jack O'Neil
    Max Silver
    Rhys Jones
    Louis Salter
    Andrew Seden
    Ian Woodley
    Jamie Roberts
    Jonathan Somekh
    Michael Kane (Sky regular)
    Jack Salter
    Borja Gross
    Howard Smith
    Toby Lewis
    Benjamin Longstaff
    Jareth East
    Victor Ilyukhin
    Martin Brinkmann (Sky Qualifier, shown as from Germany)
    Benjamin Rolle
    Chiraag Thanki
    Jonathan Kalmar
    Simon Deadman
    Alex Goulder
    Brett Gritton (Sky qualifier, shown as from Gabon)
    Adam Codron (shown as from Gabon)
    Andrew Teng
    Chihao Tsang
    Luke Brereton
    Michael Howard (shown as from Estonia)
    Oliver Price
    Andrew Seabright (shown as from Gabon)
    Craig McCorkell
    Kevin Allen
    Martin Malone
    Neil McFayden
    Stephen Foster
    Sam Trickett
    Constantine Paparestis
    Daniel Rudd
    Carlos Escobedo
    Joel Ettedgi
    Roland Pudney (shown as from Gabon)
    Hamid Rowshanaei (shown as from Gabon)
    Andrew Hedley (shown as from Guatemala)
    Michael Hill
    Jimmy White
    Robert Cowen
    William Chataway
    Ashley Mason (shown as from Gabon)
    Andreas Olympios (shown as from Estonia)
    Paul vas Nunes
    Iaron Lightbourne
    David Greene
    Daniel James (shown as from Gabon)
    Phillip McAllister
    Conor Beresford (shown as from Gabon)
    Paul Senter
    Philip Carey
    Pratik Ghatge
    Lee Walker (shown as from Gabon)
    Nicola Lagetano (Sky Qualifier, shown as from Estonia)
    James Scott
    Graeme Hibbert
    Mitchell Johnson
    Nick Hicks
    Alexander Spencer (shown as from Gabon)
    Rickie Vedhara
    Alex Spencer
    James Dempsey
    James Rann (Sky regular)
    Daniel Merrilees
    Javed Abrahams
    Kellyann Heffernam (shown as from Gabon)
    Gordon Huntly
    Adam Reynolds
    David Tighe
    Tim Hickling
    Dennis Rubba
    Shola Akindele
    Oliver Silvey (Shown as from Gabon)
    Robert Landsell (shown as from Gabon)
  • edited July 2015
    My word, Gabon is an absolute poker hotbed.

Is there anyone one there marked as from Gabon who is actually from Gabon?  And is Mr Chad going strong?
  • edited July 2015
    Ludovic Jonsen is also through with 94k I believe. No doubt he's down as German, but he's very Scottish. 
  • edited July 2015
    On the last level of the Main Event Day 2AB, and the WSOP are showing about 3467 left so we are approaching half the field being knocked out.

I don't trust the WSOP chip counts in-play with this many players still going, except for those shown with zero chips

Those who have definitely left the scene on Day 2AB include

Barry Shulman (knocked out early by Talal Shakerchi), Isaac Haxton, Natasha Barbour, Andy Black, Dutch Boyd, two Sky interviewees Annette Obrestad & Jennifer Tilly, Donnacha O'Dea, Erick Lindgren, Ole Schemion, actor James Woods, recent Aria Super High Roller winner Brian Rast and Jason Mercier.

Former ME winners Chris Moneymaker, Johnny Chan, Dan Harrington & Carlos Mortensen

Recent bracelet winner Anthony Spinella,

November Niners Steven Begleiter, Jeremy Ausmus, Dan Sindelar, Jorryt van Hoof, Bruno Politano & Jesse Sylvia

And from the UK side, John Eames, Paul Newey and Matthew Ashton

On the plus side, mentioned in live updates in the last 10 minutes or so with decent stacks are both Charles Chatta & Jake Cody.

• edited July 2015
    One player who looks like he is still in is William Wachter. Never heard of him? No, nor had I.

Hendon Mob had barely heard of him either, one cash for $4K at Foxwoods last November.

Turns out he is a 94-year old World War II Veteran, and received a standing ovation from the players when this was announced over the PA.

There's hope for you yet Tikay.
  • edited July 2015
    "About 650" of the 1524 Day 2AB starters have made it through to Day 3

Amar Anand has the biggest chip stack, over 600K, with Chas Chatta biggest Brit (about 4th overall) with 423K.

Still awaiting full chip counts.
  • edited July 2015
    great updates tyvm

so GB becomes Gabon at the WSOP 

why?

I remember in 1999 when NASA crashed a $125 million spacecraft into Mars because of a mix up between metric and imperial units.

“‘Better, faster, cheaper’ was the mantra at the time,” said the project manager of the mission 

and no doubt Brits from Gabon are just the latest example of a better, faster, cheaper United States of America in 2015
  • edited July 2015

Come on Warnie !!!!
  • edited July 2015
    great updates tyvm so GB becomes Gabon at the WSOP  why?
    Posted by GELDY
    Because I think the WSOP have a country code field based on two-character intenret domain codes, probably a drop-down box, so if they try and enter "GB", that doesn't exist and it sticks on the first "G" it comes across ("GA" = Gabon") and the keyboard operator doesn't notice. They should really be entering "UK" and that would then work. Same principle with them trying to enter something starting with "E" for "England", and there not being a code for England separately from the UK, it defaults to "EE" for Estonia.

• edited July 2015
    Day 2AB chip counts just posted (as I am about to start work), Daren Moreton is 601th of the 654 qualifiers with 27200 chips. So far his Day 3 table will have Tyler Witterman, Alex Tran & Timothy Buxbaum on it, with other players to be slotted in from Day 2C.

Fuller update this afternoon.

• edited July 2015
    A little over 650 have made it through to Day 3 from the Day 1 A & B, with Amar Amand the chip leader, ahead of Calvin Lee & Luther Tran. All nice short names to type.

In 4th place is the highest placed UK representative, Charles Chattha. He was on the climb all day and ended it with a very nice stack of over 400K chips. Not far behind is Jake Cody and his 340K and Marc Foggin who has 280K.

Other Brits through :
    George Georgiou 199K
    Chris Moorman 191K
    Robert Sherwood 187K
    Matt Davenport 163K
    Nicholas Katz 145K
    Michael Greco 141K
    Talal Shakerchi 130K
    Stuart Rutter 119K (Sky analyst)
    Phillip Maghall 104K (shown as from Guatemala)
    Daniel Bland 103K
    Charles Carrel 97K
    Chun Law 92K
    Daniel McAulay 91K
    Sebastian Ruthenberg 75K
    David Lhonore 74K
    Alfie Adam 72K
    Rob Akery 71K
    Sebastian Saffari 63K
    Chris Brammer 57K
    Keith Johnson 53K
    Jon Spinks 50K
    Christopher Gordon 48K
    Tim Davie 46K (Sky regular)
    Jerome Ogrodzki 35K
    Peter Akery 34K (lost a bit of ground to his brother on Day 2)
    Peter Charalambous 29K
    Daren Moreton 27K (Sky Qualifier)
    Stevie Watts is shown with 1 Chip, so either that's a technical issue or there was a problem with his bag & tag or something.

Others through, a strong German challenge (Fedor Holz, Georgie Danzer, Anton Morgenstern, Fabian Quoss & Tobias Renkenmaier among others), Greg Raymer (despite losing a big pot to hockey gold medallist Fatima Moreira de Melo very late on), Shane Warne (with a very nice stack), Mike Matusow, Jonathan Duhamel, last years November Niners Andoni Larrabe & Billy Pappas, Justin Bonomo, Dan Colman, Chris Bjorin, nonagenarian William Wachter, Martin Stazko, Hoyt Corkins and Steve Gee
  • edited July 2015
    Do we know if Victoria Coren-Mitchell has travelled to vegas? I guess not because I can't see her name. Also there was a young lad making significant waves, who took home his first major cash on a recent CH4 broadcast, and his trade-mark was holding his hood over his mouth and nose! I'm sure during that event he knocked out or won a major pot vs Phil Helmuth..

Can anyone remember who he is? and whether he is listed among the runners? this I doubt...(bit too out of his league just yet I think!)
  • edited July 2015
    Do we know if Victoria Coren-Mitchell has travelled to vegas? I guess not because I can't see her name. Also there was a young lad making significant waves, who took home his first major cash on a recent CH4 broadcast, and his trade-mark was holding his hood over his mouth and nose! I'm sure during that event he knocked out or won a major pot vs Phil Helmuth.. Can anyone remember who he is? and whether he is listed among the runners? this I doubt...(bit too out of his league just yet I think!)
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Vicky doesnt really play anymore, just the odd tournament here and there.
  • edited July 2015
    Do we know if Victoria Coren-Mitchell has travelled to vegas? I guess not because I can't see her name.
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Vicky's only just had her baby, so I wouldn't have thought the WSOP would be on her agenda just yet.

• edited July 2015
    Do we know if Victoria Coren-Mitchell has travelled to vegas? I guess not because I can't see her name. Also there was a young lad making significant waves, who took home his first major cash on a recent CH4 broadcast, and his trade-mark was holding his hood over his mouth and nose! I'm sure during that event he knocked out or won a major pot vs Phil Helmuth.. Can anyone remember who he is? and whether he is listed among the runners? this I doubt...(bit too out of his league just yet I think!)
    Posted by GaryLaud
    As Barny noted, Vicky has just become a Mum, so Vegas was never in her schedule this year. She's not a fan of flying, either.

The thing where players hold their hoody over their mouth & nose could be anyone, almost half the players are doing it this year. It is supposedly to conceal "tells" & facial tics, but it's nonsense really, it's just a "fashion", young people are immensely impressionable & like to follow the trends rather than be individuals, or think about what hey are doing.

Years ago, Marcel Luske started wearing his sunglasses upside down. Soon, all the kids were doing it. None of them could explain what benefit arose, apart from it making them looking a little silly.

Backwards facing baseball caps, hoodies, earphones (which very often don't work), soon followed.

The "hot thing" in the WSOP is All American Dave, a burger bar with a fancy name which claims to sell healthy burgers. (@ $25 each, if you don't mind), but the cattle are reared on hand-cut grass.

I kid you not.....   

• edited July 2015
    Posted by GaryLaud
    Hey Gary, are you talking about Leo McClean?
    :)
  • edited July 2015
    The Hoody thing doesnt work, Ive wore a hoody several times playing online and my avatar also has one yet I still lose!

Ditching the hoody tonight!

Ger
  • edited July 2015
    One level into Day 2C and we've already lost David Benyamine, Barry Greenstein, Greg Mueller, Kathy Liebert, Matt Affleck, Huckleberry Seed, Maria Ho & Phil Ivey.

Brutal
  • edited July 2015

The sound of dealers shouting "SEAT OPEN" is becoming ever more frequent.
  • edited July 2015
    Less than 3000 left, and the number no longer includes the man who has cashed in the last 5 MEs, Ronnie Bardah
  • edited July 2015
    Under 2000 left now.

Notable eliminations overnight our time include

Previous winners Peter Eastgate, Robert Varkonyi and Jamie Gold

Former November Niners Joseph Cheong, Jake Balsinger & Phil Collins

Plus Olivier Busquet, James Obst, David Tuchman, Anthony Zinno, Kevin Mathers, Matt Stout, Bertrand Grospelier, Michael Mizrachi, Mike MacDonald, Matt Matros, Ivan Demidov, Chad Holloway, Calvin Anderson, Jason Somerville...

And from the UK, Shola Akindele, James Dempsey, Sam Trickett, Simon Deadman, Nicola Lategano & Brett Gritton.

• edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: The 2015 WSOP thread. : Hey Gary, are you talking about Leo McClean? :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    Yes Mrs Duck! that's the youngster! 
  • edited July 2015
    So the last of the "split days" is over, and all the remaining players come together on Friday for Day 3 from when it is non stop poker until the November Nine is determined.

David Jackson has the biggest stack, 408800 but that would only have been good enough for 5th place on Day 2AB
    Fellow Americans Zach Jiganti & Shawn van Asdale lie 2nd & 3rd ahead of best European, German player Jens Lakemeier.

Five former champions made it through - Scotty Nguyen, Ryan Reiss, Jim Bechtel, Joe Hachem & Phil Hellmuth, as did the likes of Daniel Negreanu, Daniel Alaei, JC Tran & Adrian Mateos.

GB Qualfiiers

Louis Salter 344K
    Jamie Roberts 284K
    Fraser McIntyre 219K
    Craig McCorkell 194K
    Luke Marsh 187K
    Toby Lewis 164K
    Oliver Price 158K
    Luke Brereton 151K
    Oliver Silvey 134K
    Tom Alner 130K
    Andreas Olympios 125K
    Philip Carey 117K
    Ian Woodley 116K
    Borja Gross 109K
    Chiraag Thanki 107K
    Philip McAllister 103K
    Ben Vinson 99K
    Alex Goulder 96K
    Roland Pudney 87K
    Jareth East 73K
    Andrew Seden 49K
    Jonathan Semekh 44K
    Adan Codron 34K
    David Green 31K
    Constantine Paparestis 20K
    Robert Cowen 19K
    James Scott 19K
    Andrew Teng 13K

With about 1824 left, and 1000 to be paid, estimates are that the bubble will be reached either just before or just after the dinner break, that is 3 levels in to Day 3. Expect scenes of miraculous double ups, cruel one outers to eliminate players, and micro stacks holding on with a big blind or two to creep into the money and pick up the min cash of $15K. With the next 300-odd all getting the same prize, expect the action to pick up considerably as soon as the bubble bursts.

It's up to you now, Daren....
  • edited July 2015
    So as the Sky qualifier dream ends for another 12 months, we are left with about 1420 players still battling on.

Gone though already on Day 3 - former winner Greg Raymer, ex-November niner and player in the last UKPC Antoine Saout, ladies bracelet winner Jacquelyn Scott plus other good female players Cyndy Violette, Melanie Wiesner, Danielle Anderson & Lauren Billings, one of the Mizrachi brothers (Eric), one of the very strong German contingent (Fabian Quoss) and from the UK Luke Brereton, Andrew Teng & Robert Cowen.
  • edited July 2015

8.55pm Vegas - 1,013 players remain, & the $15,000 bubble looms.
  • edited July 2015

The bubble burst just before 10pm Vegas time.

All 1,000 survivors, as well as $15,000, were given a FREE HAT.
  • edited July 2015
    So if someone bought 2% of a players's action, are they entitled to 2% of the hat?
  • edited July 2015
    British cashers so far in the Main Event (all at this point for $15K)

940 Charles Carrel
    863 Christopher Brammer
    843 Constantine Paparestis
    830 Talal Shakerchi

776 players remain

• edited July 2015
    661 players make it through to Day 4 with Amar Anand being the chip leader, one of only 3 players to have broken the one million chips barrier, alongside Joseph McKeehan and the controversial double-bracelet-winner Brian Hastings.

Fedor Holz is not far behind and a lot of people are expecting the German to push on from here and have a good run; he is one of the biggest online MTT players out there.

Five former winners are still in with a chance, Jim Bechtel, Joe Hachem, Phil Hellmuth, Ryan Reiss & the very short stacked Jonathan Duhamel.

Top Brit is Samir Tageldin with 685K, with Philp McAlister close behind on 661K. Others still in :
    Fraser McIntyre 591K
    Charles Chattha 544K
    Toby Lewis 502K
    Jareth East 429K
    Jake Cody 355K
    Nicholas Katz 340K
    Stuart Rutter 327K
    Daniel Bland 326K
    Georges Georgiou 276K
    Ben Vinson 246K
    Craig McCorkell 230K
    Luke Marsh 225K
    Jamie Roberts 225K
    Peter Akery 217K
    Alfie Adam 214K
    Ian Woodley 203K
    Alex Goulder 150K
    Louis Salter 143K
    Chun Law 132K
    Adam Codron 114K
    David Lhonore 100K
    Michael Greco 88K
    Sebastian Ruthenberg 84K
    Sebastian Saffari 80K
    Borja Gross 78K
    Philip Carey 70K
    Chris Bjorin 64K

British cashers to carry on the above (still all at the $15000 level)

724 Marc Foggin
    718 Chris Bell
    696 Christopher Gordon
    695 Daniel McAulay
    690 Jerome Ogrodzki
    674 David Greene