You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The 2015 WSOP thread.

Comments

• edited July 2015
    Amazingly the oldest player in the field is still in contention going into day 4, that's 94yo World War II veteran William Wachter. Good luck to him.
  • edited July 2015

I just saw how the bubble burst, there were 1,002 left, with 1,000 paid, but 1001st always gets a seat into next years main.

A kid got it all-in with 5-5 v 7-5, but the board double paired high cards, so the 7-5 man won with his 7 kicker. An awesome way to bubble.

As luck would have it, two players exited on the same hand, & so they had to draw a card (highest wins) to see who got the Seat next year, & 5-5 man won that, so not so bad in the end.
  • edited July 2015
    I suppose a 31-year-old is a kid to you (and to me I suppose).

The doubly unlucky player who got knocked out and lost the draw the next year's seat was Jonas Lauck who has over $1m in Hendon Mob recorded cashes, including a FT in Event 57 for over $92K, while Roy Douad has no Hendon Mob page at all but least he's got a 10K seat for next year's ME.

Fifteen minutes to "shuffle up and deal" for Day 4...

• edited July 2015
    First British casualty of Day 4 - Michael Greco out in 649th for $15000. He will be the very last player to min cash, as from 648th the prize becomes over $17K.

• edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: The 2015 WSOP thread.:
    Amazingly the oldest player in the field is still in contention going into day 4, that's 94yo World War II veteran William Wachter. Good luck to him.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    In what I thought was a nice touch, William was the "Shuffle Up & Deal" guy today.

Just a short speech by him - "I did not come here to lose, that's all I have to say"
  • edited July 2015
    A bad few minutes for the Brits. We've lost

604 Seb Saffari
    602 Luke Marsh
    598 Philip Carey

plus resident Brit Chris Bjorin in 605th. All pick up $17282.
  • edited July 2015
    Down to 530

That has seen the exit of Former winner Jonathan Duhamel (565th), Australian cricket legend Shane Warne (597th) plus two more GB names

544 Stuart Rutter
    531 Sebastian Ruthenburg

both pick up $19500.
  • edited July 2015
    William Wachter was knocked out quickly after the first break, the 94 year old had a fantastic run and cashed for $19500 for his 524th spot.
  • edited July 2015
    So, overnight our time we have gone from over 500 players to about 250. Let's start this time with the British casualties

509. Borja Gross ($19500)
    485. Jamie Roberts ($19500)
    470. Ian Woodley ($21786)
    440. Ben Vinson ($21786)
    427. Craig McCorkell ($21786)
    421. David Lhonore ($21786)
    408. Peter Akery ($24622)
    374. Fraser McIntyre ($24622)
    367. Alex Goulder ($24622)
    365. Adam Codron ($24622)
    364. Alfie Adam ($24622)
    339. Samir Tageldin ($29239)
    331. Daniel Bland ($29239)
    302. Nicholas Katz ($29329)
    293. Jareth East ($29239)
    265. Louis Salter ($34157)

We've also lost a couple of former winners, Joe Hachem, Phil Hellmuth & Ryan Riess, some November Niners (Andon Larrabe, last of the 2014 group), Marc-Etienne McLoughlin & JC Tran plus George Danzer, Fatima Moreira de Melo, Andre Akkari, Zach Jiganti, Phil Laak, Mukul Pahuja & Doc Sands.

One a more pleasant note, Chas Chatta is still one of the big stacks and Toby Lewis & George McDonald both still have plenty. Daniel Negreanu has moved up in the last hour or so and what a result it would be if he could go deep. Less so if Brian Hastings does likewise.

Full chipcount type update to follow at the end of play.
  • edited July 2015
    Playing the last few hands of the night, we've lost another former November Niner in Scott Montgomery. Scott (from Canada) was a member of the very first November 9, he was busted from the FT when Peter Eastgate one-outered (if that is a word) him. Montgomery won over $3million for 5th place.

Today, 246th for $34157.

• edited July 2015
    Day 4 is "in the books" and 237 have made it through to Day 5.

The chip leader is Joseph McKeehen (3.1m chips) who vaulted to the top after knocking out former November Niner Scott Montgomery. He has Upeshka Da Silva and Erasmus Morfe hot on his heels.

The controversial character that is Noel Hayes, no sorry, Brian Hastings sits 4th with the leading UK player not far behind, Chas Chatta sitting comfortably in 6th place with 2.1m chips)

It was not a good day for the Brits as a large proportion of them were eliminated, but still standing are (in addition to Chattha)
    Toby Lewis 27th 1.4m
    George McDonald 29th 1.4m
    Chun Law 101st 790K
    Jake Cody 764K
    Philip McAllister 519K

Mark Newhouse may be out after making the last 2 November Nines, but there is still a Newhouse among the qualifiers, Lily Newhouse who is one of a very few female players left. Kelly Minkin looks to be best placed of those (inside the Top 40), Susie Zhao, Sara Hall & Diana Svensk may well be the only other ladies left.

The only former ME winner still looking for his second is 1993 winner Jim Bechtel, and other names who have made Day 5 include Marc Kroon (big stack until blowing up late on two years ago), Daniel Negreanu, Justin Bonomo, Jared Jaffee, Matt Waxman, Kenny Hallaert, Vivek Rajkumar, Vitaly Lunkin, Fedor Holz, Brandon Adams and with a very small stack Antonio Esfandiari.

Ukrainian Anton Makiievskiy is one of three former November Niners among the last 237 with Canadian Matt Jarvis and American John Racener

• edited July 2015
    So, overnight our time we have gone from over 500 players to about 250. Let's start this time with the British casualties 509. Borja Gross ($19500) 485. Jamie Roberts ($19500) 470. Ian Woodley ($21786) 440. Ben Vinson ($21786) 427. Craig McCorkell ($21786) 421. David Lhonore ($21786) 408. Peter Akery ($24622) 374. Fraser McIntyre ($24622) 367. Alex Goulder ($24622) 365. Adam Codron ($24622) 364. Alfie Adam ($24622) 339. Samir Tageldin ($29239) 331. Daniel Bland ($29239) 302. Nicholas Katz ($29329) 293. Jareth East ($29239) 265. Louis Salter ($34157) We've also lost a couple of former winners, Joe Hachem, Phil Hellmuth & Ryan Riess, some November Niners (Andon Larrabe, last of the 2014 group), Marc-Etienne McLoughlin & JC Tran plus George Danzer, Fatima Moreira de Melo, Andre Akkari, Zach Jiganti, Phil Laak, Mukul Pahuja & Doc Sands. One a more pleasant note, Chas Chatta is still one of the big stacks and Toby Lewis & George McDonald both still have plenty. Daniel Negreanu has moved up in the last hour or so and what a result it would be if he could go deep. Less so if Brian Hastings does likewise. Full chipcount type update to follow at the end of play.
    Posted by FCHD
    Apologies for my ignorance FCHD, as I genuinely don't know anything about him. But why the anti railing of him? Just curious. Cheers 
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: The 2015 WSOP thread. : Apologies for my ignorance FCHD, as I genuinely don't know anything about him. But why the anti railing of him? Just curious. Cheers 
    Posted by joesman1
    He played on a different account over SCOOP in the high stake SCOOP MTTs and also in cash games. Basically didn't want to leave US to play so played on different account and got a lot of cash action by doing so as that account was considered a whale account.
  • edited July 2015
    Hastings? Lots of mud but I'll try to stick to the facts as we know them so as not to put Sky in a difficult position.

He's admitted multi-accounting on 'Stars, using Irish gambler Noel Hayes' account. He used that account to play a lot of high-stakes mixed-games action, for which Hastings is not normally known. He took some players for large sums of money who were under the belief that they were playing Noel Hayes, not Brian Hastings.

He then had several bracelet prop bets (allegedly worth more than the first bracelet he won this year) against people who did not know he had been playing these mixed games under a different account.

Part of his defence is that everyone does it and it seems to have split the Vegas poker playing community in two.

With the legalisation and regulation of online poker in the US still under review and discussion, the promotion of someone who is a self-admitted rule breaker as the "World Champion" of the game isn't going to get any lawmakers on side.

If you want any more information and a whole lot of allegations, denials, counter allegations, moaning and downright stirring, there is a 146-page thread on 2+2.

• edited July 2015
    Speaking of 2+2 (and if I'm not allowed to do that, please feel free to delete), a poster called Joe Diego has put together a superb list of all previous "in the money" finishers of those still left in the ME. 83 of the remaining players have previously cashed.

Jim Bechtel & Vitali Lunkin are each making their 6th cash in a WSOP ME

Lunkin and Aditya Agrawal are the only two playes left who cashed in both 2014 & 2013

Jake Cody is the only one of the 6 Brits still to have previously cashed (2013 & 2011)

Bechtel made the Top 100 all 5 times he previously cashed (most of which were in a lot smaller fields of course), Farzad Bonyadi, Christian Harder, Lunkin & Men Nguyen have all made the Top 100 twice before.

• edited July 2015
    Hastings? Lots of mud but I'll try to stick to the facts as we know them so as not to put Sky in a difficult position. He's admitted multi-accounting on 'Stars, using Irish gambler Noel Hayes' account. He used that account to play a lot of high-stakes mixed-games action, for which Hastings is not normally known. He took some players for large sums of money who were under the belief that they were playing Noel Hayes, not Brian Hastings. He then had several bracelet prop bets (allegedly worth more than the first bracelet he won this year) against people who did not know he had been playing these mixed games under a different account. Part of his defence is that everyone does it and it seems to have split the Vegas poker playing community in two. With the legalisation and regulation of online poker in the US still under review and discussion, the promotion of someone who is a self-admitted rule breaker as the "World Champion" of the game isn't going to get any lawmakers on side. If you want any more information and a whole lot of allegations, denials, counter allegations, moaning and downright stirring, there is a 146-page thread on 2+2.
    Posted by FCHD
    I believe he is known for those games, also the player pool for these games is low so he will be playing players he has a large number of reads on. He did tell some people in those games that it was him but others didn't know so they were at a big disadvantage.
  • edited July 2015
    Day 5 is underway, and the female contingent is down to 4 already as Sara Hall is one of the very early eliminations.

225 left, so we're on a payjump to $40,433.
  • edited July 2015
    Down to 194, and we've lost some well known players in the last half hour or so. Men "The Master" Nguyen busted in 211th, Vivek Rajkumar in 197th and Christian Harder immediately afterwards.

Chas Chatta has lost about 15% of his stack but still sits with plenty, McDonald, Cody & Lewis have also lost a couple of hundred thousand so far, but Philip McAllister who needed an upturn most has had a small one, and has increased his stack by 50% but he's still not too comfortable.
  • edited July 2015
    First Brit down, and it was the guy who has had the shortest stack of the 6 since the start of the day, Phillip McAllister from Winchester in Hampshire. He went out in 192nd for a little over $40K. It's his 3rd cash of the Series and his 2nd biggest score ever, trailing only a $70K payout from an event at EPT Prague last December.

Interestingly, Hendon Mob don't have a single cash recorded for him in the UK.

183 left.
  • edited July 2015
    Eliminations are happening thick and fast, faster than I expected any way.

We have lost one of the last three previous November Niners (Jim Bechtel's FTs pre-date November 9 by a long way). Ukrainian Anton Makiievksyi has been knocked out when his AK couldn't hold up against Andrew Moreno's dominated A3.

Another lady has gone too, Susie Zhao, so we're down to 3 in that category.

Jake Cody knocked out someone to boost his stack.

168 left and we're approaching another pay jump already
  • edited July 2015
    One of the big names and one more ex-November Niner are among the latest batch to depart.

Antonio Esfandiari has been hanging around with a short stack all day, and thought his time had come when he had a bet and a raise in front of him with Pocket Kings, unfortunately for him, one of the previous bettors had pocket aces and the Magician was unable to conjure up a third king.

John Racener was the runner-up to Jonathan Duhamel in 2010, but he'll have to settle for 162nd and the first player out at the new payout level of $46890.

George McDonald has had a timely double up, as has one of the last 3 ladies standing Diana Svensk

We're down to 4 Brits though, on a technicality, as Chun Law is now being shown as from Cordova, Tennesse rather than London. I did mention after Day 1C that there were two Chun Law's through both showing from London, so perhaps only one of them was British after all and it looks like it was the wrong one.

159 left.
  • edited July 2015
    wd & ty FCHD for all your WSOP updates great work
  • edited July 2015
    Last update from me for tonight, with 147 left that's 90 people gone inside the first two levels of the day. Things will slow down of course but we will be quite a lot ahead of last year's schedule by the end of the day I think.

No casualties on any of my watch list in the last half hour or so, Toby Lewis has lost a few though and is now down to about 3/4 of a million. We have a new chip leader for the first time today as Bruce Peery has overtaken Joseph McKeehen, with Brian Hastings 4th & Justin Bonomo 6th.

• edited July 2015
    Picking up where we left off, we are now in the last level of Day 5 and we are down to double figures, 90 players.

Three players are over 5 million in chips - Max Steinberg, David Peters & Belgian Pierre Neuville. Steinberg is one of 10 former bracelet winners left, but none of them have Main Event bracelets as Jim Bechtel's run ended busting in 121st place.

We've also lost Georges Georgiou (another who has been British in some updates, and non British in some others) in 107th and Jake Cody in 113th, and the third-last female player Lily Newhouse in 138th.

Others to go include Matt Glantz (147th), Jared Jaffee (137th), Will Molson (134th), Kenny Hallaert (123rd), Vitaly Lunkin (119th), Farzad Bonyadi (114th) and Irishman Declan Connolly (103th).

So, to those still in. Three Brits - George McDonald has chipped his way up to 6th (4.3m), Toby Lewis was the winner of a 3-way coup (3.6m) and Chas Chattha (2.9m)

Two ladies - Swede Diana Svensk (1.9m) and American Kelly Minkin (short stacked with just under 400K).

There are still 5 Germans in including Anton Morgenstern & Fedor Holz. Brian Hastings is now middle of the pack but still very much in contention, as is Daniel Negreanu and fellow Canadian Matt Jarvis, the only former November Niner still looking for a return trip to the Penn & Teller Theater.

The final Irish player standing is Nicholas Abourisk, and there are also players from Israel, Brazil, Portugal, Austria, Russia, the Netherlands, India, Ukraine & Italy still active.
    Picking up where we left off, we are now in the last level of Day 5 and we are down to double figures, 93 players.

Three players are over 5 million in chips - Max Steinberg, David Peters & Belgian Pierre Neuville. Steinberg is one of 10 former bracelet winners left, but none of them have Main Event bracelets as Jim Bechtel's run ended busting in 121st place.

We've also lost Georges Georgiou (another who has been British in some updates, and non British in some others) in 107th and Jake Cody in 113th, and the third-last female player Lily Newhouse in 138th.

Others to go include Matt Glantz (147th), Jared Jaffee (137th), Will Molson (134th), Kenny Hallaert (123rd), Vitaly Lunkin (119th), Farzad Bonyadi (114th) and Irishman Declan Connolly (103th).

So, to those still in. Three Brits - George McDonald has chipped his way up to 6th (4.3m), Toby Lewis was the winner of a 3-way coup (3.6m) and Chas Chattha (2.9m)

Two ladies - Swede Diana Svensk (1.9m) and American Kelly Minkin (short stacked with just under 400K).

There are still 5 Germans in including Anton Morgenstern & Fedor Holz. Brian Hastings is now middle of the pack but still very much in contention, as is Daniel Negreanu and fellow Canadian Matt Jarvis, the only former November Niner still looking for a return trip to the Penn & Teller Theater.

The final Irish player standing is Nicholas Abourisk, and there are also players from Israel, Brazil, Portugal, Austria, Russia, the Netherlands, India, Ukraine & Italy still active.

Everyone still going has locked up at least $68K, with pay jumps every 9 places from here.

• edited July 2015
    Getting close to the end of Day 5 now and we have 72 left, all now guaranteed a minimum of $96K

Apart from Toby Lewis losing a big one and winning almost a big of one in quick succession, the Brits are rolling along with seemingly few dramas.

We have lost the 2nd last lady though, Diana Svensk bust (perhaps that's not the best term to use when talking about a female player) in 83rd place, leaving Kelly Minkin as the last woman in the Main Event.

Another former bracelet winner has bit the dust too, Matt Waxman departs the scene in 75th, followed by the last Austrian player, Manuel Blashke in 74th, and a man after my own heart, Stephen Lichtenberger (brother of well known pro Andrew) has been nursing a very small stack all day (down to 2BB or so on at least 2 occasions) has finally just gone in 73rd

And finally, Chun Law is back showing as British. I wish they'd make their minds up.
  • edited July 2015
    Hoping DNegs makes the final table! He's as good for the game as anyone.
  • edited July 2015
    We're getting to the business end as Day 5 has been completed with 69 survivors. Last year we had 79 going into Day 6, but with a couple of hundred less entries (and therefore less chips in play) the depth of play will be more or less the same.

Belgian veteran Pierre Neuville is the chip leader, the 72 year old the only player with a stack greater than 7 million chips. His nearest challengers are David Stefanski & Thomas Paul. In 4th is David Peters, but not the David Peters who is currently inside the Top 20 of the Global Poker Index rankings, this one is from California. This could get as confusing as the David Bakers and the Chun Laws.

Talking of Chun Law, if the Chun Law that is still in is the British one, we have 4 UK players remaining. George MacDonald from Glasgow is sitting nicely inside the Top 10, Toby Lewis and Chun Law are about in the middle of the pack but Chas Chattha has dropped back a bit and is relatively short stacked (24BB)

One November Niner remains, 2010 8th placed finisher Matt Jarvis. Jarvis is also one of 8 former bracelet winners inside the final 69, fellow Canadian Daniel Negreanu (6), Brian Hastings (3), Justin Bonomo, Upeshka De Silva, Max Greenwood, Sam Gross & Max Steinberg (1 each). Hastings won 2 of his 3 this year, De Silva also has a 2015 bracelet already in his possession.

Congratulations to Kelly Minkin from Tuscon who is the last lady standing. She was very short towards the end of the day, but a nice double up within the last few hands saw her vault up the chip standings.

Play will resume at 8pm our time, with the schedule to play down to 27 players.
  • edited July 2015
    Hoping DNegs makes the final table! He's as good for the game as anyone.
    Posted by alex1229
    Me too, will be as good for the game as a rank amatuer making the N9 imo. He would bring star quality and most of all, fun!
  • edited July 2015
     Poor old ChunG (his has a G) "Harry" Law from London has hundreds of people wishing him good luck to deal with today. This guy Chun is from the US though.
  • edited July 2015
    In Response to Re: The 2015 WSOP thread. : He played on a different account over SCOOP in the high stake SCOOP MTTs and also in cash games. Basically didn't want to leave US to play so played on different account and got a lot of cash action by doing so as that account was considered a whale account.
    Posted by MattBates
    So now I know who hacked my account ��. 

Cheers for the answer (FCHD too)