You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Another betting diary

Comments

• edited August 2015
    Prefer just backing the outsiders.

Plenty of 5/1+ odds available tonight.

Eight wins for teams in lower divisions in R2 last season so don't need to get many right to make a profit.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Another betting diary:
    In Response to Re: Another betting diary : LAY Stoke??? Come off it, granted it won't be a first team but the mighty Potters have quality in depth and Bojan is back tonight.
    Posted by TheDart
    0-0 after 90 mins then you can win 5-0 in extra time :)
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Another betting diary : + 1.  If Shaqiri plays too....it could be a cricket score!
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Can they do it on a cold, wet Tuesday in Luton though :)
  • edited August 2015
    Prefer just backing the outsiders. Plenty of 5/1+ odds available tonight. Eight wins for teams in lower divisions in R2 last season so don't need to get many right to make a profit.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger

Hopefully tonight the mighty cobblers will win you some money. I decided not to make the long trip up north and I'm regretting it already. Had I not spent a fortune on holiday I would have gone. I was at Anfield 5 years ago when we beat Liverpool, what a night.

McLaren said that his main target when he took Newcastle job was to win a trophy. So I'd expect a strong team tonight.
  • edited August 2015
    Bury v Leicester LAY LEICESTER @ 1.76 Hull v Rochdale LAY HULL @ 1.68 Luton v Stoke LAY STOKE @ 1.67
    Posted by splashies

Tut tut tut! :)

I knw the Tinkerman is changing all 11 who played at the weekend, but even then we should beat Bury.
  • edited August 2015
    Northampton are on my list of bets at 8/1.
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Another betting diary : 0-0 after 90 mins then you can win 5-0 in extra time :)
    Posted by splashies
    Well done.

I'll mean that more sincerely if Stoke can manage to get through this tie now.

• edited August 2015
    Bury v Leicester LAY LEICESTER  (1-4) LOST -£30.00
    Hull v Rochdale LAY HULL (1-0) LOST -£30.00
    Luton v Stoke LAY STOKE (1-1) WON £42.53

Roll: £567.53
    Profit Today: -£17.47
    Overall Profit: £67.53

Bets: 14
    Wins: 8
    Losses: 6
    Strike Rate: 57.1%
  • edited August 2015
    Starting the week slightly down. -£7.16 to be exact after a few rubbish sets of results.

This week I'm going to back the 3 short odd Premiership games and bet larger. Bit of a gamble as West Ham and Palace are both scoring quite freely, but I think vs the better teams in the league they will struggle and their defence won't be able to stand up.

Treble - £50 - Potential return - £106.67
    Liverpool, Chelsea and City to all win at home. 

Treble - £20 (+£5 free bet) - Potential return - £112.13
    Blackpool vs Walsall
    Wigan v Crewe
    Plymouth v Newport

Balance after the bet - -£77.16 (before result)

• edited August 2015
    FF, that treble is the Skybet special this week, enhanced to 2/1 from 6/5. Have you already lumped on? :(

Apologies in advance if City mess it up for everyone!
  • edited August 2015
    Starting the week slightly down. -£7.16 to be exact after a few rubbish sets of results. This week I'm going to back the 3 short odd Premiership games and bet larger. Bit of a gamble as West Ham and Palace are both scoring quite freely, but I think vs the better teams in the league they will struggle and their defence won't be able to stand up. Treble - £50 - Potential return - £106.67 Liverpool, Chelsea and City to all win at home.  Treble - £20 (+£5 free bet) - Potential return - £112.13 Blackpool vs Walsall Wigan v Crewe Plymouth v Newport Balance after the bet - -£77.16 (before result)
    Posted by FlashFlush

I like the look of these Charlie. I have gone the same and added a couple to make a 7 Fold. Only had a fiver on it this week. Pays just over 10/1.

7 home banker wins (all 3pm KO)

Chelsea v Crystal Palace
    Liverpool v WHU
    Man City v Watford
    Wigan v Crewe
    Plymouth v Newport
    Wrexham v Halifax
    Celtic v St Johnstone
  • edited August 2015
    Got a bit carried away today and ended up having 8 bets.

Aston Villa v Sunderland BACK ASTON VILLA @ 2.0
    Stoke v West Brom BACK STOKE @ 2.0
    Huddersfield v QPR BACK QPR @ 2.84
    Rotherham v Fulham BACK FULHAM @ 3.05
    Blackpool v Walsall LAY WALSALL @ 1.89
    Wigan v Crewe LAY WIGAN @ 1.59
    Crawley v Wycombe LAY WYCOMBE @ 2.24
    Oxford v Yeovil LAY OXFORD @ 1.62

The prices on Wigan and Oxford look way too short, especially Oxford. Both prob win 5-0 now, but only need to get one of em right to make profit.

gl all.
  • edited August 2015
    FF, that treble is the Skybet special this week, enhanced to 2/1 from 6/5. Have you already lumped on? :( Apologies in advance if City mess it up for everyone!
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I hadn't seen that, but I did suspect it might be! Hopefully they will alter the odds for me. Although judging by Liverpool's start it may be irrelevant 
  • edited August 2015
    Liverpool banker LOL
  • edited August 2015
    In Response to Re: Another betting diary : I like the look of these Charlie. I have gone the same and added a couple to make a 7 Fold. Only had a fiver on it this week. Pays just over 10/1. 7 home banker wins (all 3pm KO) Chelsea v Crystal Palace Liverpool v WHU Man City v Watford Wigan v Crewe Plymouth v Newport Wrexham v Halifax Celtic v St Johnstone
    Posted by MAXALLY

Chelsea v Crystal Palace - LOST
    Liverpool v WHU            - LOST
    Man City v Watford        - WON
    Wigan v Crewe              - WON
    Plymouth v Newport      - WON
    Wrexham v Halifax        - WON
    Celtic v St Johnstone      - WON

5/7 today. A couple of shocks in the first two games. Only lost a fiver though. 

• edited August 2015
    Only managed 3 out of 8 yesterday, but still was only tiny loss as the two biggest prices came in. Will update figures later. Just backed Soton in play after the Norwich red.

Southampton v Norwich BACK SOUTHAMPTON @ 1.56
  • edited August 2015
    After todays win I'm 19p up for the weekend, booooooooom. Not bad considering I only won 4/9 bets.

Aston Villa v Sunderland BACK ASTON VILLA (2-2) LOST £30.00
    Stoke v West Brom BACK STOKE (0-1) LOST £30.00
    Huddersfield v QPR BACK QPR (0-1) WON £52.44
    Rotherham v Fulham BACK FULHAM (1-3) WON £58.42
    Blackpool v Walsall LAY WALSALL (0-4) LOST £30.00
    Wigan v Crewe LAY WIGAN (1-0) LOST £30.00
    Crawley v Wycombe LAY WYCOMBE (0-0) WON £23.36
    Oxford v Yeovil LAY OXFORD (2-0) LOST £30.00

Southampton v Norwich BACK SOUTHAMPTON (3-0) WON £15.96

Roll: £567.72
    Profit Weekend: £0.19
    Overall Profit: £67.72

Bets: 23
    Wins: 12
    Losses: 11
    Strike Rate: 52.2%
    ROI: 9.8%
  • edited August 2015
    Decent weekend for me then still despite the Premiership upsets, thanks to my 2nd bet.

Starting balance - -£7.16
    Weekly result - +£42.13
    Season total - +£34.97
  • edited September 2015
    Struggling to find winners this week so just gone with the 1 treble. I had an odd £11.03 in my accont so that's being used on this.

Starting balance - +£34.97

Treble - 5.14/1 - £11.03 (Plus £5 free bet) - Potential returns of £93.49

Gillingham v Doncaster - 13/10
    Northampton v Daggers - 7/10
    Portsmouth v Accrington Stanley - 4/7

End balance - £24.94 (Pre result)
  • edited September 2015
    Picked out 6 bets for tomorrow from League 1 and League 2. Just waiting for 2 of the bets to be matched then I'll post.

Flash, did you know that since Dagenham & Red promotion to the football league, we have played them 10 times. Winning 9 and drawing 1. You know what that means tomorrow!!!!!
  • edited September 2015
    Barnsley v Shrewsbury BACK BARNSLEY @ 2.76
    Crewe v Swindon LAY SWINDON @ 2.24
    Fleetwood v Rochdale BACK ROCHDALE @ 2.92
    Walsall v Bury BACK BURY @ 3.60
    Mansfield v Wimbledon BACK MANSFIELD @ 2.68
    Wycombe v Hartlepool LAY WYCOMBE @ 1.89
  • edited September 2015
    Two single bets on Dunfermline over 2.5 and 3.5

£10 double Walsall and Gillingham win

£10 treble Walsall, Montrose over 2.5 and Southend under 2.5

Be lucky

Edit. could have done with out that last minute goal.

Hope that's not an omen of things to come.
  • edited September 2015
    Barnsley v Shrewsbury BACK BARNSLEY (1-2) LOST £30.00
    Crewe v Swindon LAY SWINDON (1-3) LOST £30.00
    Fleetwood v Rochdale BACK ROCHDALE (1-1) LOST £30.00
    Walsall v Bury BACK BURY (0-1) WON £74.10
    Mansfield v Wimbledon BACK MANSFIELD (1-1) LOST £30.00
    Wycombe v Hartlepool LAY WYCOMBE (2-1) LOST £29.99

Roll: £491.83
    Profit Weekend: -£75.89
    Overall Profit: -£8.17

Bets: 29
    Wins: 13
    Losses: 16
    Strike Rate: 44.8%
    ROI: -0.9%
  • edited September 2015
    A very disappoining weekend winning only 1 out of 6 bets. Luckily the biggest price was the only winner so that avoided a complete disaster.

As for the Cobblers, well it looks like another season of leaking goals for fun. We look ok going forward but it's amazing how many soft/comedy goals we give away.
  • edited September 2015
    I looked these bets & was a bit surprised as a few went against my statistics.

I wouldn't be backing Barnsley for a while for although they are mid table, they have been rather fortunate & I rank them currently 21st in L1. I have Shrewsbury 17th so always likely to be close. Annoyed at this as I had Barnsley as outsiders for promotion but with a young side, they should improve.

Rochdale & Bury were both good shouts and you were unlucky with Rochdale. Fleetwood are great spoilers so don't like betting against them. Bury have a really good team for this level and have been unlucky so far and they were great odds against high flying Walsall, who have outperformed expectations so far.

Not sure why you went against Wycombe. They are a lot better than Hartlepool, who after three wins are dropping to their expected position after three consecutive defeats.

I presume laying Swindon was a punt as they will be inconsistent as the new players might take time to gell although I still harbour hopes that they can get into the promotion frame despite a tough summer.

Not trying to be critical but more analytical & trying to follow your train of thought. It appears that you were looking for value where bookies were over rating certain teams (Swindon, Walsall, Wycombe) but I could be wrong there.

Always tough betting football in the first couple of months of the season.  
  • edited September 2015

Thanks for the post. Yes I'm looking to lay teams who I think are overrated and are too short in price. Wycombe for one, had 1 good season after years of bottom half finishes. Teams at this level largely rely on at least 2 or 3 loans to make up an important part of their starting 11. Wycombe benefitted from this last season.

I have next to no time to do any research each week, so I just tend to look for a team who look to me decent value to back, or lay a fave who I think is too short.

I've never really backed single bets in football before, I just used to do accas. So just seeing how I go at level stakes of £30 for the season. Breaking even would be a result, as it's just a bit of fun to follow the bets over a weekend. 
  • edited September 2015
    Thanks for the post. Yes I'm looking to lay teams who I think are overrated and are too short in price. Wycombe for one, had 1 good season after years of bottom half finishes. Teams at this level largely rely on at least 2 or 3 loans to make up an important part of their starting 11. Wycombe benefitted from this last season. I have next to no time to do any research each week, so I just tend to look for a team who look to me decent value to back, or lay a fave who I think is too short. I've never really backed single bets in football before, I just used to do accas. So just seeing how I go at level stakes of £30 for the season. Breaking even would be a result, as it's just a bit of fun to follow the bets over a weekend. 
    Posted by splashies
    Long term, singles are more profitable because results are not that predictable and the bookies margin increases in multiples. Someone told me years ago to avoid bets that the bookies want you to bet on. They are always pushing accumulators and scorer/result bets because they make a lot of money from them & mug punters are seduced by the attractive odds.

I asked the question because some of your bets seemed to make sense then a couple of others seemed to go counter to the apparent strategy. I viewed the Wycombe match as being that Hartlepool were maybe over rated due to winning their first three matches. It's all opinions.

Probably worth finding "hot" teams to back and "cold" teams to lay.
  • edited September 2015
    I have to agree with Tiger on this one. Majority of your bets seem well thought out, but last week was a bit strange. I mean betting against Swindon? Pfft, what were you thinking! ;)
  • edited September 2015
    I have to agree with Tiger on this one. Majority of your bets seem well thought out, but last week was a bit strange. I mean betting against Swindon? Pfft, what were you thinking! ;)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Maybe you have some inside information on Swindon, which might be useful but they strike me as a side that could beat anyone in this division on their day but they aren't consistent enough to be relied upon. This comes in a large part from such a large overhaul of the squad from last season.
  • edited September 2015
    #BringBackPaolo