You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

POKER ICE_TIGER

Comments

• edited October 2016
    I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing this thread from the sidelines and am annoyed with my self for not putting my name down up front. Congratulations to the winners and well done to all who took part, it was obviously a nailbiting finale. As a northerner I am disappointed with the overall result, but the important thing is those that played in it seemed to thoroughly enjoy it.
    A big pat on the back should go to Graham who organised and coordinated the event, I am sure it was quite a task.
    Well done all.

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH!:
    I have thoroughly enjoyed viewing this thread from the sidelines and am annoyed with my self for not putting my name down up front. Congratulations to the winners and well done to all who took part, it was obviously a nailbiting finale. As a northerner I am disappointed with the overall result, but the important thing is those that played in it seemed to thoroughly enjoy it. A big pat on the back should go to Graham who organised and coordinated the event, I am sure it was quite a task. Well done all.
    Posted by Dollie

Thanks for this Dollie.

Looks like you have a new recruit for next year Donna!
  • edited October 2016
    I think if the reserves don't get a game in main match they should at least have the opportunity to play the captains and the other reserve for a bit of fun to include them in the actual game.
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH!:
    I think if the reserves don't get a game in main match they should at least have the opportunity to play the captains and the other reserve for a bit of fun to include them in the actual game.
    Posted by Darkangel7

There would just be 8 players in each team, no reserves as such.

Just like the fourballs and foursomes in the Ryder Cup, it will be up to the Captains to ensure all those that want to play, get to play at least one match, be it in the fourballs, foursomes or singles.

So it will make strategy and team selection interesting. But the most important role for the captain is to make sure everyone who wants to play and is available, plays at least one match, but preferably at least two.

Make sense?

Cheers,

G

• edited October 2016
    Just wanted to add my thanks to Graham for organising this and for keeping relatively sane throughout.  (well - mainly anyway lol).

Also the captains Misty and Angel were outstanding - as was Chilling who co-ordinated things in the background.

Really enjoyed this Ryder Cup - even when I got thoroughly thrashed 5 games to Nil lol.  

Looking forward to next year already :)
  • edited October 2016
    For example 8 players numbered 1 to 8.

Foursomes selections

1 and 2
    3 and 4
    5 and 6

Fourballs

7 and 1
    8 and 4
    5 and 6 (Say 5 and 6 won the foursomes, you might want to put them out again)

Singles

The important thing is that everyone would play at least two matches whilst still having players available to cover "no shows"

Make sense?

So the reserves arn't reserves as such.

Cheers,

G

• edited October 2016
    Just wanted to add my thanks to Graham for organising this and for keeping relatively sane throughout.  (well - mainly anyway lol). Also the captains Misty and Angel were outstanding - as was Chilling who co-ordinated things in the background. Really enjoyed this Ryder Cup - even when I got thoroughly thrashed 5 games to Nil lol.   Looking forward to next year already :)
    Posted by IrishRose

I told you to put that first game behind you and you did.

You went on to win your fourballs match and got the cruicial half point we needed in an absolue thriller in the very last match!

Very well played Rose!

It's not how you start, it's how you finish that counts!

Link for the Southerners below: (Northerners can listen and weep lol)

I have it on full volume, apparently the neighbours love it. :=)

Cheers,

G

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH! : I told you to put that first game behind you and you did. You went on to win your fourballs match and got the cruicial half point we needed in an absolue thriller in the very last match! Very well played Rose! It's not how you start, it's how you finish that counts! Link for the Southerners below: (Northerners can listen and weep lol) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY I have it on full volume, apparently the neighbours love it. :=) Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    I'm sure it will be....

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS....... by Queen. My Mrs hates Queen so I will have to wait til she;s gone to bed to indulge.

With regards next year I think we should have everyone playing the singles.... as per the Golf Ryder Cup......I'm sure everyone would want to play a singles match, and if it's known that the singles matches are on the Sunday hopefully everyone would be available. It still worked well even with the one game played on the Saturday this time. 

I still can't believe I've been cheering on 'Ve Saaarrrrffffff' so much....... especially as a die-hard Northerner.

Please forgive me everyone North of Coventry.
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH! : I'm sure it will be.... WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS....... by Queen. My Mrs hates Queen so I will have to wait til she;s gone to bed to indulge. With regards next year I think we should have everyone playing the singles.... as per the Golf Ryder Cup......I'm sure everyone would want to play a singles match, and if it's known that the singles matches are on the Sunday hopefully everyone would be available. It still worked well even with the one game played on the Saturday this time.  I still can't believe I've been cheering on 'Ve Saaarrrrffffff' so much....... especially as a die-hard Northerner. Please forgive me everyone North of Coventry.
    Posted by MISTY4ME

I'm fine with this, but from this experience, what is the chance of getting 16 people all available?

I would suggest, that we see how the land lies at the time, and decide.

It was really hard to get everyone available and we were scouting for last minute reserves, so I just don't want the same pressure again.

However if we have 16, available, keen, flexible and reliable people then we could go for it, and we always have the captains as a "super sub" option if one drops out.

I suggest we see how smoothly the foursomes and fourballs go next year, and then decide if we play 6 or 8 singles matches. But yes, I like the idea of everyone playing singles, as long as it doesn't cause scheduling headaches. My reason for saying only six, was to ease stress for all involved if something comes up, and players can't make the singles for some reason.

Cheers,

G
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH! : I told you to put that first game behind you and you did. You went on to win your fourballs match and got the cruicial half point we needed in an absolue thriller in the very last match! Very well played Rose! It's not how you start, it's how you finish that counts! Link for the Southerners below: (Northerners can listen and weep lol) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY I have it on full volume, apparently the neighbours love it. :=) Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Just INDULGED !!!!!!

Iconic .....what a voice.

• edited October 2016
    Hopefully the report below will be quite fun if you play the links as you get to them. Enjoy!

:=)

THE RYDER CUP AS IT HAPPENED

Well it all started off as you would expect. The North playing it up and telling the South how great they were. The South took this in their stride and reminded the Northerners just how grim it was up there, compared to the sophistication of the southern counties. So the North called us all softies which really intimidated the Londerners (not)

So here's a couple of links to give you a sense of the atmosphere:

Queue, North South perimeter disputes link below:

A bit of banter then occured over house prices and standard of living. Queue the South's opinion of the North below:

Well that kinda sets the tone, so on to the matches.

The foursomes saw the South take an early 2-1 lead, thanks to some fine play particularly from Jordz, Mania and EssexPhil, while FeelGroggy and MattPrawn starred for the North.

We then encountered several scheduling problems for the fourballs, which did cause a little stress to yours truely, as he barked at everyone about playing their fixture and generally got everyone's back up. Leaving everyone stressed and StayOrGo feeling like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6hY_50Dh0 (including guest appearance from GLB)

However, after questioning whether it was worth all the stress, he decided:

So onto the fourballs:

Match four was severely delayed, however the South cruised to victory in match five. EssexPhil and Jordz proving unstoppable. Queue Music:

A great captain pairing saw IrishRose avail her earlier defeat, teaming up yours truely to see off MattPrawn and Ice_Tiger, who battled well, but the Anglo/Irish combo proved too strong.

Queue music as the South go into a seemingly comfortable 4-1 lead:

Then the game takes a dramatic twist. Queue outstanding performance by Donald (thisltedu)

Donald was unavailable at the weekend so he played his remaining games on Friday night. He saw off EssexPhil 4-1 in the singles and beat Misty 2-1 adding to his 2-1 victory over MonkeyGLB. Let me tell you they are all some scalps indeed.

So a revitalised and invigourated Northern team, started to feel a bit more chipper and confident. Now bringing it, big time, to the South. The North were already starting to prepare a somewhat premature, victory dance.

Northern Super Sub, Limp2Lose, makes his entrance:
    Limp2Lose kindly offered to stand in for FeelGroggy, but was not best pleased when he realised the start time of his first match would only allow for him to have four hours sleep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjaW2MiNk00
    However after a slow start he managed to close out the outstanding fourballs match, leaving the North just one point behind at 4-3. The sleep deprived GARY, still proved to be quite a ROCK for the Nothern team:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tJYN-eG1zk
    Meanwhile, a slight rescheduling meant that MattPrawn was playing Misty4Me earlier than planned, while a repeat of the Heads Up Cup Final, saw ajmilton trying to seek revenge over cup final conqueror, MonkeyGLB.
    Mattprawn and Misty4Me fought out an honourable and crucial draw, while MonkeyGLB raced to a 3-0 lead.
    AJ was having non of it though, and just like in the Cup Final, he fought back well to make it 3-2. But some Monkey Magic in the last game secured a win for Monkey and at least a draw for the South:
    Queue Monkey Magic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuFa-WB4bE
    So with the South now 6-4 up. It was a battle of student versus teacher. Father v Son in fact.
    As hard as I tried, the now fully awake (and less grumpy) Limp2Lose was too hot to handle and disposed of his Dad StayOrGo with consumate ease and a 4-1 scoreline
    He did however hit running 6's in the third game, for a rather fortuitous, 2-1 lead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I
    However after that, son was just too good.
    So that tee'd it up perfectly for the final match, with IrishRose needing a half against MAXALLY for the SOUTH to win.
    You really couldn't have script it, as it went to 2-2, and then MAXALLY won the 5th game, setting it up for a nail biting final game. The rail could hardly contain themselves, except of course poor DarkAngel, who just didn't know who to cheer for. Her loyal friend Rose or her Northern team.
    Shouts of "COME ON MAX" and "GO ROSIE!" filled the chat box, but the Irish Eyes were smiling and with astounding composure, Rose prevailed in the last game, to secure the required half point for the South.
    Queue music for Rose:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3RcDMdaNgQ
    So the South prevailed 6.5 to 5.5, what else is there to say, other than:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY
    Last but by no means least, a shout out to both captains, who did a fantastic job, albeit a bit stressful for them at times.
    It wouldn't have worked without you, many thanks to both Misty4Me who was truely inspirational for the South and also DarkAngel who was just brilliant and so supportive for the North.
    So lets give it up with a musical tribute to our Captains!
    This one for Donna
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrhYhI3L32c
    So Jez, thanks for everything. it's goodbye for now from your adopted friends in the South. Until next year!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWcOYgpZBOI

• edited October 2016
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Just INDULGED !!!!!!

Iconic .....what a voice.

• edited October 2016
    Brilliant write up and apt video's and music, loving mine and roses. Misty's made me cry lol
  • edited October 2016
    Great write up - love the concept - thanks for running
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks Graham, Excellent write up. 
    It was a pleasure taking part, 
    looking forward to the next comp. 
    With a bit of luck it may involve plo8.
  • edited October 2016
    Thank you to everyone involved in organising this event. Was great fun & worked well.

A few thoughts for future events:

1) Maybe run it all on one day - One set of Foursomes & Fourballs, followed by second set of F & F (optional) followed by singles.

2) Think the numbers wanting to play will grow, due to the success this time, a lot so could have bigger teams, say 12 like the Ryder Cup.

3) Could become a multi team event if several teams want to play. North - South - East - West or maybe include Scotland, Ireland & Wales. Would mean Semi Finals & a Final.

4) Trying to play over a full weekend is more tricky than dedicating a full day to it. Think this might restrict numbers.

5) The organisation was great so it would be great if the same people organised again.

6) I will offer to assist next time if required but think the people involved this time cannot be faulted.

I would like to think that we don't have to wait a full year to play again.
  • edited October 2016
    Thanks for the feedback Ice, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have answered your questions, the answers being in RED.

Thank you to everyone involved in organising this event. Was great fun & worked well.

You are welcome, it was good to have you involved.

A few thoughts for future events:

1) Maybe run it all on one day - One set of Foursomes & Fourballs, followed by second set of F & F (optional) followed by singles.

I think this is a good idea.

2) Think the numbers wanting to play will grow, due to the success this time, a lot so could have bigger teams, say 12 like the Ryder Cup.

Maybe/hopefully, although 12 would be a lot to organise.

3) Could become a multi team event if several teams want to play. North - South - East - West or maybe include Scotland, Ireland & Wales. Would mean Semi Finals & a Final.

I think this would be better as a separate type of thing, like a World Cup, for example, but not the Ryder Cup format,

4) Trying to play over a full weekend is more tricky than dedicating a full day to it. Think this might restrict numbers.

! agree, good idea.

5) The organisation was great so it would be great if the same people organised again.

I think the Captain's were outstanding, hopefully they will be prepared to do it again, although it can be quite stressful getting your team together.

6) I will offer to assist next time if required but think the people involved this time cannot be faulted.

Very kind of you TY.

I would like to think that we don't have to wait a full year to play again.

I'm still recovering from this one lol. But maybe a one dayer between Xmas and New Year. I would like to charge everyone £20 if we do that, with the proceeds going 70% to the charity of the winning captain and 30% to the charity of the losing captain. I don't know if that would put people off, but I'd like to think, that some charities benefit from all the effort involved. (Captains will be exempt from the £20 fee as they will be more than contributing with time, effort and support)

Thanks again for the feedback Ice, it was great having you involved.

People, please post on here if you would be interested in a "One Day" one sometime between Xmas and New Year.

Cheers,

G

• edited October 2016
    Graham

Goes without saying, I AM IN!!!

The Monkey Bloke
  • edited October 2016

Yes to one dayer......Yes to £20 to charity. 
  • edited October 2016
    Following on from Ice_Tiger's post. I must be a glutting for punishment lol, really didn't think I'd be doing this again so soon, but a one dayer between Xmas and New Year could be fun, if we have the interest and support for it. (We'd need to avoid XMAS UKOPS mind)

Also we'd have to see if the captains are up for it, as I'm sure no-one wants undue stress over the Xmas period.

Cheers,

G

• edited October 2016
    Also, I would like to get some quick feedback.

How much do people want it to include PLO and PLO8 as well as NLHE.

If we made it 70% NLHE 20% PLO8 and 10% PLO would that be about right?

(Being able to play PLO and PLO8 would not be necessary for all players, as long as there were at least 4 in each team that could multi-task, we'd be fine.)

Please feedback on whether you think it would be better to include these other variants, or just stick to NLHE.

Cheers,

G

P.S. I know a 4 card option would certainly please one person (Yes, four cards for the two initialed one)
  • edited October 2016
    Yes to one dayer......Yes to £20 to charity. 
    Posted by MAXALLY
     plus one to this
  • edited October 2016
    Also, I would like to get some quick feedback. How much do people want it to include PLO and PLO8 as well as NLHE. If we made it 70% NLHE 20% PLO8 and 10% PLO would that be about right? (Being able to play PLO and PLO8 would not be necessary for all players, as long as there were atleast 4 in each team that could multi-task, we'd be fine.) Please feedback on whether you think it would be better to inclue these other variants, or just stick to NLHE. Cheers, G P.S. I know a 4 card option would certainly please one person (Yes, four cards for the two initialed one)
    Posted by StayOrGo
     So long as I don't have to play the 4 card game then it would add a bit of variety!

I wonder if Sky could provide us with a couple of private tables (like with the monthly TPT game) that were password protected.  Suspect this would take a lot of the short term stress out of coordinating watches to join tables etc.

Fingers crossed we can get this going Graham.

Cheers

Matt
  • edited October 2016
    Just to throw a couple of dates out there.

Let me suggest either:

Weds 28th Dec or Thurs 29th Dec.

I do feel we would need to start fairly early though as Xmas UKOPS is bound to be on then.

So I suggest people would need to make themselves available between 10am and 5pm to avoid UKOPS clashes.

For people who 10am is too early for, they could still play as long as they weren't picked for the first foursomes.

This does mean of course that players that still have to go to work, would not be able to play.

The problem is that New Years Eve and New Years day fall on a Saturday and Sunday, so that counts them out.

The other option of course is Mon 2nd Jan 2017, as it is a bank holiday. Again, feel free to provide feedback re proposed dates.

Cheers,

G
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH! :  plus one to this
    Posted by mattprawn
    I agree it would be great fun again.....but I'm the same as Matt in that I dont play PLO..... but if we have others on the team that do enjoy it, it does at least give 'The Champ' a chance of a point....... (:D}
    I actually enjoyed it so much that I would definitely want to play this time if that was OK.
    EDIT: Monday 2nd January sounds good coz nothing much happens post New Year's Day.....though a long day for DTD'ers

• edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH! : I agree it would be great fun again.....but I'm the same as Matt in that I dont play PLO..... but if we have others on the team that do enjoy it, it does at least give 'The Champ' a chance of a point....... (:D} I actually enjoyed it so much that I would definitely want to play this time if that was OK. EDIT: Monday 2nd January sounds good coz nothing much happens post New Year's Day.....though a long day for DTD'ers
    Posted by MISTY4ME
    Hi Mist, I think it would be great to have you as a playing captain, as long as we have a "system" in place whereby we have reserves available for no shows. I think we do have to plan for this.

I have made a quick "sample" schedule that involves PLO and PLO8, but is still primarily NLHE. We'd probably just need four players on each side capable of playing PLO and/or PLO8, which I think would be fine.

Here's the sample score sheet, please note the added column called "GAME" and specifies the variant to be played. Captains would need to be very careful that they schedule players that can play the format concerned, so it would be much better to solely use the player letter/number system in line with the spreadsheet below: (I can adjust accordingly if more than six a side, but lets see what interest there is first)

OVERALL SCORE

NORTH 0 SOUTH

RYDER CUP “FOURSOMES” GAME (FIVE GAMES PLAYED IN EACH MATCH)

MATCH SCORE

MATCH NO NORTH PLAYER SOUTH PLAYER
    NORTH SOUTH NTH COMB STH COMB RESULT
    ONE PLAYER A PLAYER A NLHE

0 0
    ONE PLAYER B PLAYER B NLHE

TWO PLAYER C PLAYER C PLO8

0 0
    TWO PLAYER D PLAYER D PLO8

THREE PLAYER E PLAYER E PLO

0 0
    THREE PLAYER F PLAYER F NLHE

RYDER CUP “FOURBALLS”
    (THREE GAMES PLAYED IN EACH MATCH)

MATCH SCORE

FOUR PLAYER 1 PLAYER 1 NLHE

0 0
    FOUR PLAYER 2 PLAYER 2 NLHE

FOUR PLAYER 1 PLAYER 2 NLHE

FOUR PLAYER 2 PLAYER 1 NLHE

FIVE PLAYER 3 PLAYER 3 PLO

0 0
    FIVE PLAYER 4 PLAYER 4 PLO

FIVE PLAYER 3 PLAYER 4 PLO8

FIVE PLAYER 4 PLAYER 3 PLO8

SIX PLAYER 5 PLAYER 5 NLHE

0 0
    SIX PLAYER 6 PLAYER 6 NLHE

SIX PLAYER 5 PLAYER 6 NLHE

SIX PLAYER 6 PLAYER 5 NLHE

RYDER CUP “SINGLES”
    (SIX GAMES PLAYED IN EACH MATCH)

MATCH SCORE

SEVEN PLAYER U PLAYER U NLHE

0 0

EIGHT PLAYER V PLAYER V MIX

0 0

NINE PLAYER W PLAYER W NLHE

0 0

TEN PLAYER X PLAYER X PLO8

0 0

ELEVEN PLAYER Y PLAYER Y NLHE

0 0

TWELVE PLAYER Z PLAYER Z MIX

0 0

THIRTEEN PLAYER Y PLAYER Y NLHE

0 0

FOURTEEN PLAYER Z PLAYER Z NLHE

0 0

MISTY SUGGESTS MONDAY 2ND JANUARY 2017. HOW DOES THIS SUIT PEOPLE? (HOWEVER, THE MONIES RAISED WOULD STILL COUNT TOWARDS THE TLB2016 TOTAL)
  • edited October 2016
    Misty suggests playing on Monday 2nd January 2017. How does that suit everyone?

If we do this we could probably start a little later, so say, between 11am-6pm.

This may possibly allow for two sets of foursomes and two sets of fourballs, if timings work. (Or is that too much?)

Cheers,

G
  • edited October 2016
    Misty suggests playing on Monday 2nd January 2017 . How does that suit everyone? If we do this we could probably start a little later, so say, between 11am-6pm .   This may possibly allow for two sets of foursomes and two sets of fourballs, if timings work. (Or is that too much?) Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Could be too much....depends on how many people want to play. One thing I do think though is that the Singles should be 1x PLO, 1x PLO8...and 4x NLHE unless we have 8 players per team, all playing singles
  • edited October 2016
    In Response to Re: POKER "RYDER CUP": IRISHROSE GETS THE SOUTH OVER THE LINE AFTER A SPIRITED FIGHT BACK FROM THE NORTH! : Could be too much....depends on how many people want to play. One thing I do think though is that the Singles should be 1x PLO, 1x PLO8...and 4x NLHE unless we have 8 players per team, all playing singles
    Posted by MISTY4ME

Hi Mist, yeh you could be right, probably best to just keep it as one set of foursomes and fourballs.

Regarding the number of PLO and PLO8 games, it's just a guide until we see how many players we have and what percentage of HOLDEM and PLOPPERS we have. So we can adjust when we are more informed.

Cheers,

G
  • edited October 2016
    Misty suggests playing on Monday 2nd January 2017 . How does that suit everyone? If we do this we could probably start a little later, so say, between 11am-6pm .   This may possibly allow for two sets of foursomes and two sets of fourballs, if timings work. (Or is that too much?) Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    2nd January is the Final of the Midlands Grosvenor Christmas Cracker (Semi Final is 28th December). Don't know if the dates are the same around the country but it could restrict players that like to play live poker on those dates.

Like the suggestions for a mix of games although care needs to be taken over "re-matches" when the game changes between the same players.