You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - 18th 'interesting spot' (hand 109) -

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Hand 33: We get 479J in the SB and fold.

Hand 34: We get 45TQ on the BTN and someone pot raises, we fold.

Hand 35: We get 569T in the CO and fold.

Hand 36: We get 2579 UTG and fold.

Hand 37: We get involved, will post this next...
  • edited May 2017
    Hand: 37

Hand starting stack: 6,873

Situation: We are in the BB with Th Tc 4c Jc  at 40/80 level and UTG (fairly active player with 14,162 chips) miniraises to 160, the BTN flat calls (active, aggresive player with 2745 chips) and everyone else folds and action is on us. I loosely flick the extra 80 chips in. We are not going to get hung up and are just peeling to see if we somehow hit a monster, the 80 chips is no big deal if we show discipline post flop. If we do hit then there is a potential bounty to get and a 14k+ stack offering us all the implied odds we could want.

The flop is
    5c Td 3c and we have 'the nuts' with top set. This is a pretty scary flop though and partly the reason we could have folded preflop (to avoid such tricky set-ups).

To make matters even trickier we are OOP and action is on us so what do we do and what is the plan?

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

markycash

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         10h

·         10c

·         4c

·         Jc

UTG

Raise

CO

Fold

BTN

Call

SB

Fold

markycash

Call

Flop

·         5c

·         10d

·         3c

markycash

... ... ... ...
  • edited May 2017
    so hand  32 

are we  still looking for an answer  after  river  card.   how  did  it end.  who won  split pot   and you  win  the  bounty ?
  • edited May 2017
    Again I would tend to fold this pre against 2 opponents OOP. Against a single player I am happy to defend blind with weaker holdings, especially if we think we can buy a pot if we both miss.

Now we are in, for balance I would consider all options here check, pot and somewhere inbetween.

Plusses and minusses to all, made tougher by our position.

I think I favour a half-pot/2 thirds lead out, building the pot and keeping a wider range of opponents holdings in while hopefully keeping them guessing on our strength and vulnerability.

• edited May 2017
    their  is a  case  for  showing  strength  here and  making  a  bet but  as  you  say its a scary  flop, were going  to have to dodge a  lot  of  cards. 

with  500  or so in  pot  i would  check  call any  bet,  hoping  we hit a lovely  5  of  spades  on turn :)

also i  would  call  pre  flop  aswell. 
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 8th 'interesting spot' (hand 37), WWYD?:
    so hand  32  are we  still looking for an answer  after  river  card.   how  did  it end.  who won  split pot   and you  win  the  bounty ?
    Posted by UrABawBag2
    Hi Mick, my bad. I have copy/pasted the result into the post detailing the hand.

In the end we chopped with the shorty. Would have been ideal if we had chopped with the larger stack and snagged the bounty but it was what it was :)
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 8th 'interesting spot' (hand 37), WWYD?:
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 8th 'interesting spot' (hand 37), WWYD? : Hi Mick, my bad. I have copy/pasted the result into the post detailing the hand. In the end we chopped with the shorty. Would have been ideal if we had chopped with the larger stack and snagged the bounty but it was what it was :)
    Posted by markycash

cheers.
  • edited May 2017

Hand 37,  check the flop and call any bet. You have top set, well disguised if you check. Re evaluate turn. Probs turn a 10         anyway.
  • edited May 2017
        Hand 37,  check the flop and call any bet. You have top set, well disguised if you check. Re evaluate turn. Probs turn a 10         anyway.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    Knowing BoxLuck, yeah.

FWIW, I really have bad vibes about that set of tens on the 10-5-3 flop. We don't have THAT many scoop cards, & there are an awful lot of cards to come that could beat us. ANY card 7 or lower (except a 5 or 3) would mean we gotta fold.  

• edited May 2017
    I'm interested to see what others think about this situation, seems about the worst possible situation for flopping the nuts, the only saving grace is that you have 3 of the flush cards. I've had similar situations quite a lot, as I'm sure other PLO8 players have and I think the only option I wouldn't consider would be to fold to a flop bet, although I'm sure that an argument can be made for doing so.  

I think I'm check calling the flop here and hoping to avoid one the many bad turn cards, hopefully the board will pair and then we can bet out heavily on the next street to try and get value.

Interesting spot.
  • edited May 2017
    I'm interested to see what others think about this situation, seems about the worst possible situation for flopping the nuts, the only saving grace is that you have 3 of the flush cards. I've had similar situations quite a lot, as I'm sure other PLO8 players have and I think the only option I wouldn't consider would be to fold to a flop bet, although I'm sure that an argument can be made for doing so.   I think I'm check calling the flop here and hoping to avoid one the many bad turn cards, hopefully the board will pair and then we can bet out heavily on the next street to try and get value. Interesting spot.
    Posted by Enut
    Agreed. Check-calling all day here, unless feel the rest of the table is terri-bad, when would consider a half-pot bet....
  • edited May 2017
    Some brilliant comments, cheers folks!

It is a tricky spot.

I will try and update this each morning with a new hand as I have been doing.
  • edited May 2017
    You are ahead so no free cards allowed,pot it.At least you will know if someone has a draw.If another high card comes pot again.If low card comes that can make a straight we would have to give up.
  • edited May 2017
    So onto the morning update of hand 37 as promised.

There have been so many great replies to this one which really helps the quality of the thread and makes doing this worthwhile, so thank you all. Hopefully it also allows anyone new to the game to see some of the pros and cons of different lines we may take with different hands.

I think this hand and a couple of the other marginal and OOP ones help to illustrate the problem we face even when we hit with these hands. It is just so much harder to extract value from our opponents. Having said that we need to find a balance because if we regularly want to run deep we cannot solely wait on premiums. In many tourneys we just will not be dealt enough premiums so have to be prepared to play some tougher hands too.

It can also help if we show up in pots with hands like this as when we do get premium hands our opponents may not give us credit for the strength of hand we actually have and could therefore be more likely to pay us off.

I understand why there are some of you advocating a leading bet here. If we are much shorter stacked then I may take a similar line here but I elected for a different approach for several reasons.

(a) As mentioned, our stack size. We are quite deep here so I am not looking for 'flippy' situations with stacks who have us covered. If someone has a hand like Ac 2c Kd Kh then we are only 29.67% to scoop and have no low potential as backup. That is also the type of hand which will often be looking us up here and not the strongest hand we could face. If we give opponent Ac 2c 4h Kh then we drop to only 21.10% to scoop.

(b) We probably do not have much fold equity against much of the range of hands that will be looking us up (people generally won't be folding nut-nut or wrap low & wheel draws) but rather more likely to throw the pot in our face and have us in a bit of a pickle.

(c) If we check then some of the hands we would prefer to play against (lower sets or even dry overpairs) may bet out into the pot.  

(d) We are OOP so haven't been able to assess anyones intent thus far.

So as we are OOP, don't want to get a lot of equity in very marginally, would like to control the pot if possible and encourage betting from a range of hands we may do better against, we check.

The UTG original raiser player smashes the pot button and the player on the BTN calls. They have been fairly aggressive and active so we are certainly calling to see what happens on the turn. The BTN has also given us extra odds to be in the pot but the pot is quite inflated now.

The turn is the 4d which apart from putting a low out also puts low straights including a wheel out on the board. Our thinking at this point is that if the UTG or BTN player throw the pot at it again then we will fold and accept a minimal loss. We check but surprisingly both players check behind.

The river is the 2c and now all flushes and low draws have got there. I was surprised at the checks all round on the turn though but still think there is a decent chance we are being scooped. I decide to lead the river for pot control and put a weak bet of 160 chips into the 2080 chip pot. Now this may sound 'wrong' and weak but it gives us a bit more information and a cheap chance of a showdown at least. One caveat is that if we are always bet/folding to a reraise in this spot it is very exploitable for obvious reasons. There are however plenty of weak bet/calls in my range in this spot though. For example if I have a weak low and would 'prefer' to control the pot I may lead small to try and block action but will ultimately be calling if reraised. There are also scenarios I could be leading so small trying to induce a player to reraise so I think it is quite hard for opponents to figure out exactly what we are up to here.

We are called by both players. The UTG player has AA77 and the BTN has 2nd nut low. So we split the pot with the BTN player and pad our stack with a few more chips.

All in all I am relatively happy with how I played this very tricky hand OOP. We were never going to lose too many chips and our flop check even resulted in us getting some action and value out of the hand. The river bet also prevented the player with 2nd nut low who can be aggro from making a sizable bet on the river.

Happy to hear thoughts on the line taken whether in agreement or not.

Results below...

<td style="border-style:none solid solid none;border-bottom-color:#badffd;border-bottom-width:1pt;border-right-color:#ba

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

SB

Small blind

markycash

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         10h

·         10c

·         4c

·         Jc

UTG

Raise

CO

Fold

BTN

Call

SB

Fold

markycash

Call

Flop

·         5c

·         10d

·         3c

markycash

Check

UTG

Bet

BTN

Call

markycash

Call

Turn

·         4d

markycash

Check

UTG

Check

BTN

Check

River

·         2c

markycash

Bet

UTG

Call

BTN

Call

markycash

Show

·         10d

·         10c

·         4c

·         Jc

UTG

Muck

·         Ad

·         7c

·         7d

·         Ah

BTN

Show

·         7s

·         Qd

·         6h

·         As

markycash

Win high

Flush to the Jack

BTN

Win low

6-low

• edited May 2017
    We get involved in the very next hand...

Hand: 38

Hand starting stack: 7,313 chips

Situation: We are in the BB with Ac Ah Kc 2d and the active and aggressive player in the cut-off position miniopens at 50/100 blind level, they have 3,195 chips. Action folds to us and we pot it to 650, they call and we see a flop of 2c 6h 8c. This is a bad flop for our low and we are OOP again. Action is on us, so as always...

What do we do and what is the plan?

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

markycash

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         Ac

·         Ah

·         Kc

·         2d

UTG

Fold

CO

Raise

BTN

Fold

markycash

Raise

BB

Fold

CO

Call

Flop

·         2c

·         6h

·         8c

markycash

?

?

?

?

• edited May 2017

Crikey.

I've absolutely no idea how either of those 2 hands (A-A-7-7 and 2nd nut low) were still in that pot at the river. The A-A-7-7 was particularly "optimistic"......

Extraordinary.
  • edited May 2017
    Against this loose aggro player I think I check with a view to calling.

Yes we hate the 2 counterfeiting our low but I think our high is likely to be good still with plenty of ways of improving and there is no guarantee that our opponent is sitting on a strong low hand.

PS TIkay, I am not surprised and certainly from my PLO8 DYM days I had notes on few who you needed to call down light or with one end of a hand and still scoop sometimes and who you could bet thin for value against.

Some of Markys lines make more sense as we see these type of holdings going to showdown.
  • edited May 2017
    Hand 38

I would be potting again.Do not let an aggro opponent take the initative.This hand you already have control and I wouldn't be slowing up.If you lose its just too bad but sometimes you just have to go with it.
  • edited May 2017
    Crikey. I've absolutely no idea how either of those 2 hands (A-A-7-7 and 2nd nut low) were still in that pot at the river. The A-A-7-7 was particularly "optimistic"...... Extraordinary.
    Posted by Tikay10

Haha yes, although as phantom alludes to there are plenty players who show up with these type of hands and much worse.

For me this is why I prefer to play fewer tables if possible these days. If we have the mindset of "I will do x, y or Z with a, b or c type hand", we miss out on a lot of value at the tables.

I like to watch what every player is up to at the table in OH8 and then we can adjust our ranges in accordance with the types of holdings that they are playing. It is such a simple point but a hard one to pull off if we have 7 or 8 short handed tables running.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 8th 'interesting spot' (hand 37), WWYD? : Haha yes, although as phantom alludes to there are plenty players who show up with these type of hands and much worse. For me this is why I prefer to play fewer tables if possible these days. If we have the mindset of "I will do x, y or Z with a, b or c type hand", we miss out on a lot of value at the tables. I like to watch what every player is up to at the table in OH8 and then we can adjust our ranges in accordance with the types of holdings that they are playing. It is such a simple point but a hard one to pull off if we have 7 or 8 short handed tables running.
    Posted by markycash
    That is such a good point, & one that cost me a good deal of money down the years whilst 6 tabling.

I guess there is a balance to strike, an optimal number. In my case, it's almost certainly less than 6. 

Team Play Every Hand, of course, can only play 1 table at a time because they are, self-evidently, in every hand, & busy, whereas on average I probably only play 1 hand every 10 or 15. (I doubt many winning players play more than 1 hand an orbit on average).  
  • edited May 2017
    Regarding hand 38, I went with Eon's approach. I really didn't care much for that flop but there are 1500 chips in the pot and our opponent is one of the aggro players who has some hands in his range we do not fare too badly against.

I would also say that if we are going to check/fold and give the initiative up in such spots, against players with this stack size then we would be better taking a different line preflop that did not involve 3 bet potting to isolate the shorter stack.

I can see Phantom's point here but ideally we also want to have a range of hands we will do this with so that our range is not polarised and we can get action from weaker hands when we do completely nail the flop.

Anyways we continue potting it and our opponent gets out the way on the flop and we add some extra chips to our stack.

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

markycash

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         A

·         A

·         K

UTG

Fold

CO

Raise

BTN

Fold

markycash

Raise

BB

Fold

CO

Call

Flop

markycash

Bet

CO

Fold

markycash

Muck

markycash

Win

markycash

Return

• edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 8th 'interesting spot' (hand 37), WWYD? : That is such a good point, & one that cost me a good deal of money down the years whilst 6 tabling. I guess there is a balance to strike, an optimal number. In my case, it's almost certainly less than 6.  Team Play Every Hand, of course, can only play 1 table at a time because they are, self-evidently, in every hand, & busy, whereas on average I probably only play 1 hand every 10 or 15. (I doubt many winning players play more than 1 hand an orbit on average).  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeah there just becomes a point when adding more tables that we have to play 'poker by numbers' as we cannot cognitively keep up. I used to be able to do this with a load of tables but these days (and as it is 6 max on Sky) I have to try and generally reduce the number of tables.

It isn't so bad against regs which is why you have no trouble giving me all sorts of grief at the tables, even if you are 7 tabling. As you have an idea of the stuff I get up to and quite correctly do not put up with it :) It is harder in such spots though to know what the non-reg random players (often the weaker ones and where the value is) are up to in such situations as we cannot easily flick through the hand histories and see what they have been doing and are too busy to notice it all effectively.

If I remember correctly the most effective human brain working memory capacity is around 4 'chunks of information' at any given time (very generally speaking). When we go past this it starts to fall apart a bit (I am guessing 7-8 tables is past that). Unless we are Timmyrara or Alvez etc.

It is all about balance as you say. I remember Doug Polk saying he preferred the option of going up in stakes, rather than up in volume, for these sort of reasons. Obviously the stakes only go so high in the PLO8 DYM's so yup, we have to strike that balance.

I thought your chronicles of your live event exploits last year highlighted this very well. With the 1 table going you knew what every player was up to and even assigned them labels such as 'Mr FOS' etc :)
  • edited May 2017
    Hand 39: We get 228j on the BTN and fold.

Hand 40: We miniraise to 200 @ 50/100 level with 379J to isolate a 2BB stack and try and get their bounty. Someone pot 3 bets us and we fold.

Hand 41: With shorty still at the table. The player who 3 bet us in the last hand mini opens to try and isolate them. We have A23Q and 3 bet them this time. Their turn to get out the way this time but we chop it with the shorty.

Hand 42: We lose 3 BB's with A277 on an tricky board from the BB.

Hand 43: We are in the blinds (unraised) with 24JQ and see a JQ6 rainbow 4 handed. We call a pot bet on flop and are 3 handed, seeing a 5c on turn, everyone checks. After a non flushy king lands on the river we take a small stab at it for 200 but are raised to 2200 and fold.

Hand 44: ATTT on the BTN, we fold.

Hand 45: 448Q in the cut off, we fold.

Hand 46: 789T UTG, we fold.

Hand 47
    : 389J in the BB, someone pots it, we fold.

We play hand 48 which I will post after I make breakfast :)
  • edited May 2017
    Hand: 48

Hand starting stack: 6,958

Situation: A simple enough hand this but a situation all ploppers will have found themselves in at some point. We have a straight and the dastardly board pairs.

We have
    8c As Qc 6c in the SB. One player who is new to the table and has 11k+ chips limps @50/100 blind level from the cut off and it folds around to us. We flick the 50 chips in and our aggro player in the BB with 15k chips checks behind.

We hit the nuts with a
    Ks Th Jd flop. What looks like a dream spot can soon turn ugly if the board pairs. We are OOP and the players could easily check behind if we check, therefore we lead out with a pot size bet of 300. This seems like a good time to get value before the texture of the board changes and we end up having to employ caution. Also plenty hands such as sets, 2 pairs, etc may call and some players may float here thinking "he wouldn't just pot lead with the nuts". Our aggro BB player comes along for the ride, calls 300, and we see a nice and safe 7c  on the turn. 

We continue with the line and go for more value versus the big stack aggro BB player and pot the turn for 900 and they call again. 

The river pairs the board when the
    7h falls.

We are OOP so what do we do? Room for more value? Do we check/call, check/fold, or something else?

What would you do and why?

Player

Action

Cards

Amount

Pot

Balance

markycash

Small blind

BB

Big blind

Your hole cards

·         8c

·         As

·         Qc

·         6c

UTG

Fold

CO

Call

BTN

Fold

markycash

Call

BB

Check

Flop

·         Kh

·         10s

·         Jd

markycash

Bet

BB

Call

CO

Fold

Turn

·         7c

markycash

Bet

BB

Call

River

·         7h

markycash

WWYD?

? ? ? ?
  • edited May 2017
    Check,calling here mark.

If you raise you leave yourself open to a re-raise
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 10th 'interesting spot' (hand 48), WWYD?:
    Check,calling here mark. If you raise you leave yourself open to a re-raise
    Posted by eon1961
    Thanks for the reply Eon.

Hard not to see the logic in that. Are we check/calling even if our opponent bets 2700?

P.S. Most of our hands until now (maybe or maybe not including this) have been wins. I won't be cherry picking though and will have hands we lose. There just haven't been many significant loses thus far.

Also as the blinds get up some of our key decisions will need to be made earlier in the hands so hopefully things will get more interesting :)
  • edited May 2017
    Yes Mark.
    At least if you lose you have something left to  try & spin up.
    If you raise & get re-raised & call & lose its gg gl all.
    But I think it could be a split pot here.
  • edited May 2017
    In Response to Re: 'Stay or Go' Style hand breakdown of a £5.50 PLO8 BH MTT - Input from players of all levels is very welcome! 10th 'interesting spot' (hand 48), WWYD?:
    Yes Mark. At least if you lose you have something left to  try & spin up. If you raise & get re-raised & call & lose its gg gl all. But I think it could be a split pot here.
    Posted by eon1961
    Great to have your insight Eon, it really is!

I will hold off the results as usual until tomorrow morning and see if we get any takers for a different line or if we are unanimous.
  • edited May 2017
    If you fancy a game this morning Mark only 2 players needed in a DYM.
    Although thats a bit like inviting a Fox into a Chicken coop.
  • edited May 2017
    If you fancy a game this morning Mark only 2 players needed in a DYM. Although thats a bit like inviting a Fox into a Chicken coop.
    Posted by eon1961
    Haha Eon, sorry just seen this mate. 

I will need to take the dogs their walk anyway and then I will be free to play some poker and will probably fire up some PLO8 DYM's too :)