You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Phantom's Practice Perms

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Interesting G and GL today.

I could definitely do with a bit more statistical analysis to improve my coverage, but it just feels right to cut down costs and keep more fancied horses in more perms but have good coverage of those outside the top 2. Brighton there were a lot of small fields which meant I stuck to a max of 3 but at a card like carlisle today you definitely need more selections.

If I get time before the off I will try a perm myself, but with those tough large field handicaps I think it will take some getting.

Given the fact sky are offering 5 places on the 3.00 and 3.30 I wonder if  a few permed ew accumulators may be a better option today?

At least at the moment there are no 7 horse races which I hate in these placepots.
  • edited June 2017
    I haven't followed you exactly here G, but I am moving towards it. That is not because I do not believe you and I definitely don't think I know better. I just find the best why to learn is try something for myself and then compare that versus alternatives.

So my selections for the practice perm are as follows. I noted in alot of the races the top 2 are close in the betting so I have gone for the SP Fav alot and then avoided the top 2 as named selections. Happy to try that in a placepot but missing all 2nd Favs is obviously no good in a jackpot attempt.

TIME Sel 1 Sel 2 Sel 3 Sel 4 Sel 5
    2.00 SP FAV John Kirkup Aquadabra    
    2.30 SP FAV Star of Zaam Byrons Choce    
    3.00 SP FAV Mukhayyam Swaheen Panko  
    3.30 SP FAV King's Pavilion Georgian Boy Pensax Boy Intensical
    4.00 Bletchley Aurora Butterfly Isabel's on it    
    4.30 SP FAV Enjoy Life Little Miss Kodi Bush Beauty  
    Now that would be a highly prohibitive single perm of 2160 lines £216.00

I will be placing my virtual placepot as 8 perms based on the above selections...

PERM              
      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2.00 12 1 13 1 12 1 23 1
    2.30 12 123 13 1 12 1 23 12
    3.00 12 134 14 12 13 234 12 13
    3.30 12 123 145 12 124 2345 13 125
    4.00 1 1 1 12 1 1 1 13
    4.30 12 13 14 12 23 134 124 12
    Lines 32 54 48 16 48 36 48 48

Lines 330        
          COST £33.00        
    I wont be around to "watch in play" unfortunately so will miss out on any sweat.

Clearly I am not covered well if Bletchley doesnt live up to obvious banker status.

• edited June 2017
    PS Excel tip....

To easily calculate the number of lines in a perm from the table above I use the LEN function which calculates the number of digits (or characters - so will work with ABC) in a cell.

So the "Lines" formula, e.g for Perm1 is =LEN(B4)*LEN(B5)*LEN(B6)*LEN(B7)*LEN(B8)*LEN(B9)

Where B4 is the cell containing 12 for the 1st Perm and the 2.30 race

• edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Phantom's Practice Perms:
    PS Excel tip.... To easily calculate the number of lines in a perm from the table above I use the LEN function which calculates the number of digits (or characters - so will work with ABC) in a cell. So the "Lines" formula, e.g for Perm1 is =LEN(B4)*LEN(B5)*LEN(B6)*LEN(B7)*LEN(B8)*LEN(B9) Where B4 is the cell containing 12 for the 1st Perm and the 2.30 race
    Posted by Phantom66
    Thanks for the excel tip and best of luck today.

I totally agree that trying things for yourself and re-assessing is the way to go.

Although one needs to be careful not to be too results orientated and think that when we win is was right and when we lose it was wrong, but from what I see your perm structures are progressing nicely.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2017
    OK, I have finalised my selections based on market moves and NR's.

Virtual GL us!
  • edited June 2017
    gl both and will follow closely as I cant do anything else today cos of the weather.

Graham am I right to say that after race 1 you are still going in perms

a, c, d

looks like phantom still going in

• edited June 2017
    gl both and will follow closely as I cant do anything else today cos of the weather. Graham am I right to say that after race 1 you are still going in perms a, c, d looks like phantom still going in 1,5,7
    Posted by vaigret
    A,C,D and F for me and Phantom is 1,5 and 7, yes.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Phantom's Practice Perms : A,C,D and F for me and Phantom is 1,5 and 7, yes.
    Posted by StayOrGo
    sorry mate missed F DOHHHH

Just got Byrons Choice as a winner

and looks like you both all in carrying on to leg 3
  • edited June 2017
    After LEG2, Phantom still in 1,5 and 7 and I am in C,D and F.

Off on the school run.

GL P66!

G
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Phantom's Practice Perms : sorry mate missed F DOHHHH Just got Byrons Choice as a winner
    Posted by vaigret
    N1!
  • edited June 2017
    Just catching up. Neither SP FAV has placed which has knocked out a few selections but would I assume also mean the dividend would be higher.

So yes I am still in Perms 1, 5 and 7.

GL G for the next leg.

WP V on the winner

PERM              
      1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

2.00 2       2   2  
    2.30 2 23 3   2   23 2
    3.00 12 134 14 12 13 234 12 13
    3.30 12 123 145 12 124 2345 13 125
    4.00 1 1 1 12 1 1 1 13
    4.30 12 13 14 12 23 134 124 12

Lines 8 0 0 0 12 0 24 0
          Lines 44        
  • edited June 2017
    thanks and lets hope Dance King does the business this race and one of phantoms gets place

AT LAST HE GOT A CLEAR RUN, LAST TWO TIMES MULLERED BY OTHER HORSES
  • edited June 2017
    Looks like Mukhayyam has been backed into FAV which means my 12's in perms 1 and 7 are the same horse.

Could be a very good thing if it places, but before the off I would rather have the extra coverage.

I have some real money on all my selections in this and the next for the EPRs so I have plenty of reasons to want it to at least place.
  • edited June 2017
    Well done V.

and G is still in.

I am busto though.
  • edited June 2017
    G still in D and F
  • edited June 2017
    Some money back with the extra places on Sky for Admiral's Sunset.
  • edited June 2017
    SORRY MATE BUT WELL DONE ON ADMIRALS SECRET
  • edited June 2017
    Trying not to be results oriented, but the G perm v mine definitely shows up how thin I was in a competitive handicap. 

I only had 4 selections which ended up being 3 horses.

Good to be learning these lessons with play money.
  • edited June 2017
    RECKON G HAS TWO LINES IN D AND ONE IN F
  • edited June 2017
    WP G with 2 places in each of D and F in leg 4
  • edited June 2017
    WP G with 2 places in each of D and F in leg 4
    Posted by Phantom66
    yes good to see, reckon he has 4 lines in D and 2 in F now

wynne still going on his virtual jackpot

im trying Savannah slew in 4.00 loser

G still got 4 and 2 lines after 5.

Phantom I have sent you a pm

good day now Ive gone and got the forecast at 4.10 Salisbury

try Bush Beauty e/w in last 3rd and wynne got 12 lines placepot going into last race at Carlisle.

Unlucky Graham but Wynne does it again.
  • edited June 2017
    Thanks V.

I have replied to your PM.
  • edited June 2017
    Thanks V. I have replied to your PM.
    Posted by Phantom66
    responded
  • edited June 2017
    Newcastle (AW) looks the best afternoon card for a practice Placepot perm.

Newbury and Hamilton in the evening quite good too.

So I don't hi-jack your thread P66, I will set up my own Placepot practice perm thread.

GL!

G
  • edited June 2017
    No worries G. Good to have you here, good luck with your perms and new thread.

I have been tweaking my perms and I have a more balanced looking combo now.

Just depends on the number of bankers/competitive races as to whether it is absolutely right for it or I need to adjust.

I am out in the morning so may have a try at an evening meeting.

Or, I could just keep it simple and follow Wynne.
  • edited June 2017
    Newcastle (AW) looks the best afternoon card for a practice Placepot perm. Newbury and Hamilton in the evening quite good too. So I don't hi-jack your thread P66, I will set up my own Placepot practice perm thread. GL! G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    I like your permutation,have you any excel sheets you can send me,so that I can have a few practice runs
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Phantom's Practice Perms : I like your permutation,have you any excel sheets you can send me,so that I can have a few practice runs
    Posted by wynne1938
    Hi Wynne, I have emailed you a spreadsheet that should assist.

Congrats on some great results and all the best for continued success.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Phantom's Practice Perms : Hi Wynne, I have emailed you a spreadsheet that should assist. Congrats on some great results and all the best for continued success. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    Thanks Graham.
    You are agreat asset to this syndicate.
    We have all I am sure learnt a lot from you.
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Phantom's Practice Perms : Thanks Graham. You are agreat asset to this syndicate. We have all I am sure learnt a lot from you.
    Posted by wynne1938
    Thanks for the kind words Wynne, my knowledge is more statistically based than horse form based. Some of your selections in your Placepots have turned out to be outstanding.

So combining selections like that with a solid perm structure, hopefully will continue to serve you well.

Although of course your results have been so good, that it will be very hard for anyone to "beat" what you have already achieved.

Cheers,

G
  • edited June 2017
    In Response to Re: Phantom's Practice Perms : Thanks for the kind words Wynne, my knowledge is more statistically based than horse form based. Some of your selections in your Placepots have turned out to be outstanding. So combining selections like that with a solid perm structure, hopefully will continue to serve you well.   Although of course your results have been so good, that it will be very hard for anyone to "beat" what you have already achieved. Cheers, G
    Posted by StayOrGo
    + 1