You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask away about the 4 card game. Use the Clinic for what it is intended.

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
  Hi all.
   I would like to start this thread to encourage people to ask questions about omaha and omaha Hi Lo. There are enough people on the site who will freely give very good advice on these games and it is time their knowledge was utilised.

The game itself is very different from NLHE and new skills need to be learnt so feel free to come here and get the knowledge required to excel in these variants of the game.Omaha is a beautiful and brutal variation of poker and is a joy to behold watching great players sat at the tables.

So please feel free to ask away about any aspect of these games and i am sure you will be impressed with the great feedback you receive.

Wishing you luck at the tables  

Talon(Colin)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Bump for interest, haven't played it lately but if i ever need help i would speak to talon he is very good at analysing it and giving help
  • edited July 2010
    Great idea for a thread, Talon. I'll pitch you with a subject to have a crack at...

Omaha (High)

Just how big a disadvangtage is it to have a third suited card in your hand preflop? If you have a hand like As-Kd-Jh-9s we're generally doing jigs around the room; how much does your feeling change if that hand becomes As-Ks-Jh-9s though?
  • edited July 2010
    Had a game ealier and posted a hand mate, thanks for the advice made me think i played it correctly. Ive posted a little more on it for future referance and hope you wouldnt mind responding.
  • edited July 2010
     If we go purely statistically then if you do pick up a flush draw then your draw will be 11% weker due to having 8 outs instead of the normal 9. But if we look at the hand it self and count the nut drawing possibilities.

With As Kd Jh 9s we have AK,AJ KJ J9 and A9 suited giving us 5 nut drawing hands.(K9 counts for nothing due to having AK)
     With As Ks Jh 9s we have AK AJ KJ and J9 giving us only 4 nut drawing hands.

As we can see with the third spade being in our hand not only do we have less chance of hitting our nut flush but we also lose a nut drawing hand with the 9 become a less relevant card.

It is never a good idea to have a card you are drawing to dead in your hand wether it be a third or fourth of a suit  or having pocket trips.
  • edited July 2010
    Heres one Talon for a starting hand.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    SBSmall blind  50.00 50.00 4600.00
    BBBig blind  100.00 150.00 1555.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

The_Don90 Raise  400.00 550.00 1350.00
    Middle 1Fold     
    Middle 2Fold     
    DealerFold     
    SBFold     
    BBFold     
    The_Don90 Muck     
    The_Don90 Win  250.00  1600.00
    The_Don90 Return  300.00 0.00 1900.00
    If you take the AA its a very strong hold em hand and a mistake ive made a number of times since switching to Omaha is over rating it in this type of game. A6 suited gives me a few extra out in drawing to spades. the A2 and 62 are pretty much a load of old poo. Well 62 is ok if its a 345 flop but far from perfect.

So not only for my benifit but to another of other hold em players who may like to play Omaha could you maybe give a little more talk on a starting hand like this, as i think it would help a number of people change their Omaha games better.
  • edited July 2010
      Well what can i say. AAxx is probably the most overplayed and badly played hand by most omaha newcomers.

Yes preflop you will be ahead,but you are barely a favourite against a good drawing handlike 89Tj ds.You only have 2 nut drawing hands and any flop that doesnt contain an ace or 2 spades will leave you in pretty bad shape. Most people when they cross over to omaha from NLHE will see the AA and become blinded to any other possibilities.They will raise pre and auto c-bet any flop and then wonder why they only win a small pot or end up losing a big pot.

In NLHE if you have AA you will be 80-90% favourite preflop to any possible holding your opponent could have. In omaha even with AAKK ds you are not guarunteed to be more than 60-65% favourite preflop.

To use advice given in NLHE, you do not want to play big pairs in multiway pots because they become less likely to win.Well in omaha even heads up you are against 6 hands so you will always be playing multiway so you always need the back up of other nut drawing possibilities.

I would not suggest not playing these types of hands but it is best not to commit too much of your stack preflop. Also you need to be able to lay these hands down when you miss. Strange as it may seem sometimes the best move in omaha is to lay down the nuts, and this is the major lesson that NLHE players need to learn.

• edited July 2010
    Right at the moment im playing dym sit n gos to build my bankroll and doing well so far, just thinking do you think it would be easier to play the same level omaha? because of the lesser understanding aslo can imagine would be quicker to get in the money what do you think? i have a basic understanding and have done alright in the past and normal omaha so what would your approch be for DYM format? only play nut drawing hands and if you dont hit the nut nut fold
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask away about the 4 card game. Use the Clinic for what it is intended.:
    Right at the moment im playing dym sit n gos to build my bankroll and doing well so far, just thinking do you think it would be easier to play the same level omaha? because of the lesser understanding aslo can imagine would be quicker to get in the money what do you think? i have a basic understanding and have done alright in the past and normal omaha so what would your approch be for DYM format? only play nut drawing hands and if you dont hit the nut nut fold
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
      In my opinion i would think that you would be less successful in the omaha DYMs. My reasoning for this is that omaha is a form of the game that has a much higher variance. Also you can not just sit back and wait for the good hands because they are never that far in front anyway. DYMs as we all know  quite quickly turn into shove or fold fests and this is not ideal when you are never guaruteed to be better than 2 to 1 favourite preflop.PLO8 would be even worse in this format with the much higher proportion of split pots available.

In NLHE DYMs you can play a good solid formulaic game and be very successful but i know not of any similar style that can be utilised in the omaha version.If someone knows of one i for one would be glad to hear about it

So as i  said due to the variance and nature of the game i think it is harder to be consistently successful there so i would personally stick with what you are successful at.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks Colin i appreciate your help in this, did think could go either way due to variance but thought would be a softer game, still doing ok in holdem ones so why change it? was just seeing if omaha was a quicker way to take down
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask away about the 4 card game. Use the Clinic for what it is intended.:
     If we go purely statistically then if you do pick up a flush draw then your draw will be 11% weker due to having 8 outs instead of the normal 9.

so losing 1 out makes it 11% weaker. therefore if we have all 9 outs we are 99% to hit our flush draw. sweet.
  • edited July 2010
    In Response to Re: Ask away about the 4 card game. Use the Clinic for what it is intended. : so losing 1 out makes it 11% weaker. therefore if we have all 9 outs we are 99% to hit our flush draw. sweet.
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    That is clearly not what he said so I have no idea why you feel the need to post that.
  • edited July 2010

it was merely a humourous way of pointing out that what he said is incorrect. i am very sorry if you did not appreciate my post

• edited July 2010
    it was merely a humourous way of pointing out that what he said is incorrect. i am very sorry if you did not appreciate my post
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    What Talon said was not incorrect.

The value of the draw was decreased by 11%. He did not say that the chances of winning the hand decreased by 11%. It was clearly stated.
    You obviously mis-interpreted his post.

• edited July 2010
    Talon i've been playing alot last few days only low stakes, done well on two occasions and lost a buy in yesterday so overall doing ok, what i wanted to know is how do you react if you have constant raises pre flop? it really frustrates me as i have resorted only to raising mega draws but others seem to do it with junk! occasionally if i have 2 + draws i will call but i just wondered the best way to combat these and then you find a few people will play all the way with two pair so i know there is a chance to be profitable here but struggling pre-flop against these as i seem to be the only one who will fold to a raise unless i have a hand
  • edited July 2010
      The best thing you can do in these situations is to begin with is only call pre flop raises with 3+ nut drawing hands within your starting hands. Then start to work out what people raise with. Is it pocket pairs, good drawing hands or just plain aggro. When you can start to range these playersthen you will find their money easier to take.

The game is played from the flop so judge your hand from there and throw away bad hands and bad draws at this stage and do not be tempted to call pre flop with any 4 and hope to get lucky.

The players you want are the ones who raise pre flop and auto c-bet. These guys will win small pots and lose big ones so be ready to pounce when you hit a massive draw or big hand.A lot of players will put in big raises with AA or KK without realising how fragile these hands are even if they hit.

NLHE is ruled by the three b's (bully,bluff and bluster) and a lot of people will transfer that to omaha but it doesnt cross over well.Preflop raising and c-betting is the perfect example of this.They seem unable to see that people have more chance of hitting the flop in omaha so they can not be so easily pushed off a hand.

The only rule i have found so far is that if you see 3 and 4 betting preflop then it is most likely AA vs KK and a lack of understanding.

So keep you starting range to 3+ nut drawing hands and you should be fine. Just remember the more nut drawing hands you have then the more chance you have of hitting the flop and the more chance of winning the pot.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks Talon appreciate it, some good advice there

Yeah i do find its either someone whos ridiculously aggro any 4 regardless of suit and connectors, or someone with a jj+ pair. I have been folding alot to them unless i have several draws and was just double checking this is the correct way, im not actually losing to these players but its something which frustrates me alot as on your advice i realise raising isn't the best way in omaha.

Thanks mate will pop in if i need any more help
  • edited July 2010
       A further point needs to be made on the reason and importance of preflop raising.

Firstly a preflop raise is only used to build the pot up and to make it more worthwhile winning.It does not indicate amazing strength because the strength comes after the flop.
     Secondly, the point of a preflop raise is to remove the any4 card merchants. These players should not be involved in a pot that has been raised and so you should be down to players that only have good drawing hands.

When you do raise pre flop you should not be auto c-betting but only doing so when you hit the flop nicely, When playing good hands this is much more likely. If you hit the flop nicely after calling a preflop raise then you should be betting out and under no circumstance should you be check-raising because in a pot limit game you are leaving value behind by not betting especially if your opponent checks behind you.

Hope this clears up some points about preflop action in omaha.
  • edited July 2010
     bumping again to keep this up there.
  • edited July 2010
    right this may be standard but i dont play much omaha, didnt feel a raise here pre would be good even though i had a very good hand with 2 nut flushs, 2 straight draws and 2 aces

I knew it was a good hand but should i have raised pre?? or fine just flating

also i have bet out flop as 2 diamonds is this good play? tell me what u would have done different here if anything

thanks in advance mate
    YOUNG_GUN Big blind   £0.04 £0.04 £3.88
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q
    • A

jayburke86 Call   £0.04 £0.08 £3.29
    barry1935 Call   £0.04 £0.12 £18.64
    BANDICOOT Call   £0.04 £0.16 £0.75
    BEACHBABY Fold        
    YOUNG_GUN Check        
    Flop

YOUNG_GUN Bet   £0.12 £0.28 £3.76
    jayburke86 Call   £0.12 £0.40 £3.17
    barry1935 Fold        
    BANDICOOT Call   £0.12 £0.52 £0.63
    Turn

YOUNG_GUN Bet   £0.39 £0.91 £3.37
    jayburke86 Fold        
    BANDICOOT All-in   £0.63 £1.54 £0.00
    YOUNG_GUN Call   £0.24 £1.78 £3.13
    YOUNG_GUN Show
    • A
    • Q
    • A

BANDICOOT Show

River

• J

YOUNG_GUN Win Flush to the Ace £1.65   £4.78

• edited July 2010
    Heres one Talon for a starting hand. Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance SB Small blind   50.00 50.00 4600.00 BB Big blind   100.00 150.00 1555.00   Your hole cards 2 6 A A       The_Don90 Raise   400.00 550.00 1350.00 Middle 1 Fold         Middle 2 Fold         Dealer Fold         SB Fold         BB Fold         The_Don90 Muck         The_Don90 Win   250.00   1600.00 The_Don90 Return   300.00 0.00 1900.00 If you take the AA its a very strong hold em hand and a mistake ive made a number of times since switching to Omaha is over rating it in this type of game. A6 suited gives me a few extra out in drawing to spades. the A2 and 62 are pretty much a load of old poo. Well 62 is ok if its a 345 flop but far from perfect. So not only for my benifit but to another of other hold em players who may like to play Omaha could you maybe give a little more talk on a starting hand like this, as i think it would help a number of people change their Omaha games better.
    Posted by The_Don90
    nice omaha8 hand tho..
  • edited July 2010
    That hand was defo a raising hand mate especially as it was a cash game.dav
  • edited July 2010
    Thats what talon said mate, yeah i dont really like to raise much pre as most the action is post flop

I realise now though i should be raising my good drawing hands other then that played itself just a shame was against shortstack:P

Talon going to post another couple on here in a bit you will remember one hand just want to see whether i could of got away with it or could have played differently
  • edited July 2010
      Hi young gun. lets have a look at this hand at all stages.

Preflop: You have a good strong hand and you do not really want to be playing it 4 handed or if you do you want to be playing it for a very big pot, so i think you really should have raised preflop.With 2 limpers you were probably going to be called anyway but this is the chance of turning a good starting hand into a potential massive coup.

Flop: You did the right thing to bet out with your draw because of the need to build the pot up for if you do hit it. 3/4 pot is probably a bit low because it prices in too many hands at this point but allows a possibly bigger pot with more opponents. I always favour a full pot bet here.

Turn: Again i like the continued strength with the bet again  though possibly pot size again would be better. When you get the raise coming back at you you are getting about 6 to 1 to make the call which is easily the right odds with your nut draws.

Interestingly look at your opponents hand at this point. He has the second nuts on the board and a dead hand so he must know at this point that the river has to be amazing for him to win.

As it was your draw came in and you took down a nice pot. If you had raised pre flop and potted the flop you could have increased the pot size and taken down a bit bigger pot.As the cards came down everything was completely standard about the hand and you played it pretty well and very nearly maximised your winnings.

Omaha is a twofold game being about aggression and paranoia. There was nothing on the board to be paranoid about this time but the need for a bit more aggression is probably needed.

I had the pleasure of sharing a table with you last night and was talking to you about preflop aggression and you saw how i was behaving preflop. I was raising quite a few times(strangely normally on your BB) but i was not automatically firing out a c-bet. This allowed me to thin out the fields and lose the minimum when i missed and maximise my winnings when i hit.
  • edited July 2010
    Hand 1, hit bottom set and put opponent on flush draw so tried out pricing them to hit

Talon you was here and said this is just standard here but i just wondered whether could have been played differently at all here?
    CYPRY Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.21
    Talon Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.72
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

BEACHBABY Call  £0.04 £0.10 £9.03
    ALLSORTS Call  £0.04 £0.14 £2.08
    YOUNG_GUN Call  £0.04 £0.18 £4.13
    CYPRY Call  £0.02 £0.20 £2.19
    Talon Check     
    Flop

CYPRY Check     
    Talon Check     
    BEACHBABY Bet  £0.20 £0.40 £8.83
    ALLSORTS Fold     
    YOUNG_GUN Raise  £0.65 £1.05 £3.48
    CYPRY Fold     
    Talon Fold     
    BEACHBABY Call  £0.45 £1.50 £8.38
    Turn

• Q

BEACHBABY Bet  £1.50 £3.00 £6.88
    YOUNG_GUN All-in  £3.48 £6.48 £0.00
    BEACHBABY All-in  £6.88 £13.36 £0.00
    BEACHBABY Unmatched bet  £4.90 £8.46 £4.90
    BEACHBABY Show
    • J
    • A

YOUNG_GUN Show
    • Q
    • J

River

BEACHBABY Win Flush to the Ace £7.83  £12.73
  • edited July 2010
    Hand 2) another one i lost, the worst of it is as i said at the table i put him on 78 on the turn but still fired out!

due to his chipsize mainly but still could i have got away from this, maybe bet more on the flop?
    OWLETTES Small blind £0.02 £0.02 £1.98
    Talon Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £6.48
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A
    • J

BEACHBABY Fold     
    ALLSORTS Fold     
    YOUNG_GUN Call  £0.04 £0.10 £4.09
    OWLETTES Call  £0.02 £0.12 £1.96
    Talon Check     
    Flop

OWLETTES Check     
    Talon Check     
    YOUNG_GUN Bet  £0.12 £0.24 £3.97
    OWLETTES Call  £0.12 £0.36 £1.84
    Talon Call  £0.12 £0.48 £6.36
    Turn

OWLETTES Check     
    Talon Check     
    YOUNG_GUN Bet  £0.36 £0.84 £3.61
    OWLETTES Raise  £0.96 £1.80 £0.88
    Talon Fold     
    YOUNG_GUN Raise  £3.00 £4.80 £0.61
    OWLETTES All-in  £0.88 £5.68 £0.00
    YOUNG_GUN Unmatched bet  £1.52 £4.16 £2.13
    OWLETTES Show

YOUNG_GUN Show
    • A
    • A
    • J

River

• Q

OWLETTES Win Full House, 8s and 7s £3.85  £3.85
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks Talon, as i said it really helps your analysis of my hands. although i am getting better understanding each time in particular last night, really helped being at your table and listening to your thoughts and once i did i started gathering some of the loses back

Was fun at the table, think allsorts overated his 2 pairs, although did get a bit of a card rack later on lol 

I look forward to playing with you again may play a bit more lately as i think there is more of an edge then in holdem on here

Regards
    John
  • edited July 2010
      Ok

Hand 1. The raise on the flop showed great strength and the flat call behind should fire out some warning bells.So you need to think of possible holdings here. We can immediately rule out the over set which leaves us with flush draw or wrapped straight draw or(this being a 4 card game) both of these.So we know we are ahead at this point but our opponent has a lot of outs.Unless our opponent has QQ the turn is a blank although putting more straight draws on the board.So again we can be quite certain to be ahead here but there are now a lot of cards to dodge.You were right to bet out again and to call the allin.Your opponent had only 7 outs available to him making you about a 6 to 1 favourite to win the pot and you just got unlucky that he hit.But he realised at the time that he was gambling.you played it well and played it right and the result was just the downside of variance but keep doing this and it is a winning play

Hand 2. This is a perfect example of holdem play in an omaha hand.You did the right thing by betting out on the flop with your nut draw.When you were called you have to put your opponent on a range of possible holdings. In this case wweak flush draw, wrap straight draw set or 2 pair.The turn is the worst card possible because although it completes your draw it takes you a long way away from the nuts. You now have 2 options, bet to find out where you are or check, either is acceptable in this case. You chose the first option and as soon as you were raised you should have snap folded because you are now only beating a bad flush or a bluff.

If this were NLHE then you could be pretty certain of being ahead at this point and should be going all the way but in omaha Mr Paranoia should appear and tell you your behind and you should listen to him.You said yourself you knew you were behind and drawing virtually dead but you carried on. The default setting in omaha should be if i think i am behind and drawing thin= FOLD.
  • edited July 2010
    thanks talon really appreciate your help again, hand 2 main reason i bet out because pot odds i was going to call if he shoved so thought i would take the initiative here, either way due to his stack and that turn was goin in here
  • edited July 2010
    DOHHHHHHH Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.70
    Talon Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.38
      Your hole cards

wba157 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £1.44
    HuFlungPu Fold     
    BOBBYP1954 Raise  £0.08 £0.18 £8.57
    DOHHHHHHH Call  £0.06 £0.24 £3.64
    Talon Call  £0.04 £0.28 £4.34
    wba157 Call  £0.04 £0.32 £1.40
    Flop