You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I've just crashed from the Primo sat when I called an allin with KK. OP had AQ and hit A on turn. I call every time.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD:
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : should be an interesting phone call
    Posted by SHANXTA

i clarified what i meant, it did initially read a bit like a Bushism lol

• edited August 2010
    Evening all! Glad to see there is some healthy debate already at hand!

Actually I'm really interested in what you all have to say in this. Especially as a player who uses only the most rudimentary  'committed to memory' Poker Maths (out of purely personal mathematical ability..or a lack thereof. not out of choice!).

Hoggers I hear you will be too busy getting steadily pickled this evening?! I wish you luck in your endeavors and hope to see you on a table later ;)

All sorts for you this evening.. Phone calls, Poker clinic, hand requests etc etc and of course PRIMO!!

Keep your thoughts coming in!

GOOD LUCK!!
  • edited August 2010
    100 % agree with don. can't pass KK there

and if ur gonna go with ur read fold the AQ
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : This is completely different to you KK situation. Your in a satellite here, winning doesnt mean anything, so folding is simple. Now i disagree with your opponents call as clearly at best hes racing but still these calls can be made. Secondly it is different because Any pair and AK is beating me, im starting with 15th best hand. So your telling me youll fold KK but shove with AQ. Hmmm a little odd dont we think.
    Posted by The_Don90
    My objective was my first ever cash in the Primo, therefore I made a decision that any other time I'd be all-in faster than the software would let me. I had previously gone out just before the bubble. 3hrs play for no return?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : My objective was my first ever cash in the Primo, therefore I made a decision that any other time I'd be all-in faster than the software would let me. I had previously gone out just before the bubble. 3hrs play for no return?
    Posted by Red_King
    what if u play a cash table for 2 hrs then get stacked, 2 hours 4 no return

so going by ur logic u fold AA aswell?
  • edited August 2010
    Evening all! Glad to see there is some healthy debate already at hand! Actually I'm really interested in what you all have to say in this. Especially as a player who uses only the most rudimentary  'committed to memory' Poker Maths (out of purely personal mathematical ability..or a lack thereof. not out of choice!). Hoggers I hear you will be too busy getting steadily pickled this evening?! I wish you luck in your endeavors and hope to see you on a table later ;) All sorts for you this evening.. Phone calls, Poker clinic, hand requests etc etc and of course PRIMO!! Keep your thoughts coming in! GOOD LUCK!!
    Posted by LML

Hi LML,

If i did chat to you on the show i would just waffle in a drunken manner and no-one likes that from a phone-in guest, do they Bandini?:)

I can't do it tonight, i'm sorry, innit.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : what if u play a cash table for 2 hrs then get stacked, 2 hours 4 no return so going by ur logic u fold AA aswell?
    Posted by SHANXTA
    What if your bed has been pashed in the morning. Do you blame the blanket?
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : My objective was my first ever cash in the Primo, therefore I made a decision that any other time I'd be all-in faster than the software would let me. I had previously gone out just before the bubble. 3hrs play for no return?
    Posted by Red_King
    3 hours play for no return is part of life, every risk comes with a reward.

Now im not sure why you would even considered folding KK ever preflop without suspecting AA is in the hand
  • edited August 2010
    Posted by Red_King
    I crashed out of a tournament, 3 before the bubble, last night and it had a $100k pool. My KK hit a set of 9's for a huge pot, but that is tournament poker.

If you play tournaments you have to give yourself the chance of winning big. If you can't do that, then play stts. There is a difference in being passive and turning down genuine opportunities.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : I crashed out of a tournament, 3 before the bubble, last night and it had a $100k pool. My KK hit a set of 9's for a huge pot, but that is tournament poker. If you play tournaments you have to give yourself the chance of winning big. If you can't do that, then play stts. There is a difference in being passive and turning down genuine opportunities.
    Posted by elsadog
    perfectly said,
  • edited August 2010
    I only play MTT's and I play at a level where I am not worried if i dont cash. My main objective is to reach the final table where the big money comes in.

When a tourne reaches hand for hand play i like to play more aggressive against short stacks as 90% of them tend to shut up shop trying to ladder. I will only confront a larger stack with a premium starting hand but I definitely wont fold a medium to high pocket pair just to make the money.
  • edited August 2010
    I play a fair bit on another site, where they allow late registration for the first hour. I entered a $50 deepstack which started with 200 runners but ended up with over 1000. Seven hours and 55 minutes later I bubbled KK v AA. Yes it is frustrating , but the way I look at it, I didnt invest nearly eight hours of my time to win $125, but for the chance to win a few thousand.

A couple of nights later I managed to final table in a similar event after another marathon session and won over $2k.
  • edited August 2010
    I only play MTT's and I play at a level where I am not worried if i dont cash. My main objective is to reach the final table where the big money comes in. When a tourne reaches hand for hand play i like to play more aggressive against short stacks as 90% of them tend to shut up shop trying to ladder. I will only confront a larger stack with a premium starting hand but I definitely wont fold a medium to high pocket pair just to make the money.
    Posted by drvod1968
    One of several good posts on this topic.

The pay-out structures in tournaments are SO top-heavy that playing with the intention to min cash is not a viable strategy.

And there's a problem with setting yourself a series of goals (e.g. get into the money; then make the final table): you'll probably face a decision close to the bubble where the second objective requires you to play a hand in such a way that makes the ability to achieve your first aim less likely!
  • edited August 2010
    I've just crashed from the Primo sat when I called an allin with KK. OP had AQ and hit A on turn. I call every time.
    Posted by elsadog

....And a A hits everytime! lol...I hear you mate.

Tournament play is frustrating at times whether you are going for the win or just looking to cash. I went out of the open last night with KK also. I did, however, raise up to see a flop of 10 4 2 rainbow then push all in. I was called by someone holding AJ who hit a J on turn.....A on river. NO MATTER WHAT STRATEGIES YOU USE, YOU WILL ALWAYS COME UP AGAINST THIS, FACT.

I am just going to make a final point on this subject after reading all these posts on here. There is a lot of profitable MTT players who have large BR's who say they would in the main go for the win. I accept that but I think the majority of other  players would also do this if they also had a large BR in reserve.
  • edited August 2010
    What a brilliant thread ... some great informative contributions. 

I don't play many of the bigger field MTTS but I always seem to struggle approaching the first break which I set as my first target.  Even when my stack has been well above average, I seem to get drawn into relatively large pots and end up going out.

Look out for me at 20:59 this evening !!!
  • edited August 2010
    Hi all, i didnt think this hand would raise so much interest.
    For me it wasnt about making the money or the final table as i always want to win every mtt i play.  It was about making the correct fold.  The math says it was a call vs tikays tight range (ak, aa, kk and qq) but did i want to get the last of my stack in (just under10BB) as a 25% dog? no.
    I made the mistake of 3 betting too big, we live and learn.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : ....And a A hits everytime! lol...I hear you mate. Tournament play is frustrating at times whether you are going for the win or just looking to cash. I went out of the open last night with KK also. I did, however, raise up to see a flop of 10 4 2 rainbow then push all in. I was called by someone holding AJ who hit a J on turn.....A on river. NO MATTER WHAT STRATEGIES YOU USE, YOU WILL ALWAYS COME UP AGAINST THIS, FACT. I am just going to make a final point on this subject after reading all these posts on here. There is a lot of profitable MTT players who have large BR's who say they would in the main go for the win. I accept that but I think the majority of other  players would also do this if they also had a large BR in reserve.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Maxally i know this comment is probably not aimed at me. But im going to respond in a manner that it may have been.

Im a player who always plays to win, however my BR doesnt really like it much, i could easily lose this in a day. Remember that day i asked you for the last long we both had 6BB at the time i finnished second, i entered that tournament i only had 7BI's but when i came second i had won double my BR, if id have limped into the cash i wouldnt have done that,
  • edited August 2010
    Hi all, i didnt think this hand would raise so much interest. For me it wasnt about making the money or the final table as i always want to win every mtt i play.  It was about making the correct fold.  The math says it was a call vs tikays tight range (ak, aa, kk and qq) but did i want to get the last of my stack in (just under10BB) as a 25% dog? no. I made the mistake of 3 betting too big, we live and learn.
    Posted by freechips1
    To you and me it is was a correct fold but there were others arguing that you have to call here cos you have put half your stack in.

even vs tikay
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : Hi LML, If i did chat to you on the show i would just waffle in a drunken manner and no-one likes that from a phone-in guest, do they Bandini?:) I can't do it tonight, i'm sorry, innit.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    lmao. That's what they get for phoning me 22.30 on a Sunday when Hibs kicked off live on Sky at 12.15, lol. We only kicked off at 14.15 live on Sky today if you want a more coherent interview Sky? ;-)

my goals re: MTT's are tiered: goal 1 - cash. goal 2 - final table goal 3 - win

I'm polarly opposite to this view that you agreed with Greg. Winning in Primo is worth about 50 min cashes. Never, ever again am I going to even contemplate cashing. Satellited in tonight and I'm going for it. Goes without saying I played the satellite the complete opposite way.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : lmao. That's what they get for phoning me 22.30 on a Sunday when Hibs kicked off live on Sky at 12.15, lol. We only kicked off at 14.15 live on Sky today if you want a more coherent interview Sky? ;-) my goals re: MTT's are tiered: goal 1 - cash. goal 2 - final table goal 3 - win I'm polarly opposite to this view that you agreed with Greg. Winning in Primo is worth about 50 min cashes. Never, ever again am I going to even contemplate cashing. Satellited in tonight and I'm going for it. Goes without saying I played the satellite the complete opposite way.
    Posted by bandini
    mine are win win win
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : lmao. That's what they get for phoning me 22.30 on a Sunday when Hibs kicked off live on Sky at 12.15, lol. We only kicked off at 14.15 live on Sky today if you want a more coherent interview Sky? ;-) my goals re: MTT's are tiered: goal 1 - cash. goal 2 - final table goal 3 - win I'm polarly opposite to this view that you agreed with Greg. Winning in Primo is worth about 50 min cashes. Never, ever again am I going to even contemplate cashing. Satellited in tonight and I'm going for it. Goes without saying I played the satellite the complete opposite way.
    Posted by bandini
    Bandini ive also just satellited in on the 4th attempt. But yea, i agree i will be playing to win, for all ive spent £18 to play in it, winning is the most important thing, i can rebuild £18 in an hour if need be.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : ....And a A hits everytime! lol...I hear you mate. Tournament play is frustrating at times whether you are going for the win or just looking to cash. I went out of the open last night with KK also. I did, however, raise up to see a flop of 10 4 2 rainbow then push all in. I was called by someone holding AJ who hit a J on turn.....A on river. NO MATTER WHAT STRATEGIES YOU USE, YOU WILL ALWAYS COME UP AGAINST THIS, FACT. I am just going to make a final point on this subject after reading all these posts on here. There is a lot of profitable MTT players who have large BR's who say they would in the main go for the win. I accept that but I think the majority of other  players would also do this if they also had a large BR in reserve.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    +1,
    I think a lot of the main players with large BR's don't appreciate the effort, the less experienced or restricted BR players who qualify via satellites for the main events, put into just getting there.
    Setting yourself a target that improves on your last effort is the best way to progress in any activity.
    If you believe you are going to win every tournament from 400+ runners then good luck to you, you'll need it.
    I've been playing regularly on SkyPoker now for 9 months and I'm breaking even, I don't play for profit, yet.

What was that Hellmuth said about swatting the Flys, lol.

• edited August 2010
    Hi there. As a newish player (only been playing for 6 months) i don't feel qualified to argue with the more experienced players. All i can do is post my own view.
    This is that the only mtts i play now are the low stakes deep stacks and take on tikays. As i am still learning the nuances of the game these types of tournies are great and i aim to get as far as possible with what i can. I rarely worry overly about the bubble (i've bubbled many times), and once i know i have cashed i go for the best cash win i can. With a small but rising bankroll any profit is great, however if i leave with nothing after 3 hours, i just shrug and get on with things....that's life and poker!!
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : Bandini ive also just satellited in on the 4th attempt. But yea, i agree i will be playing to win, for all ive spent £18 to play in it, winning is the most important thing, i can rebuild £18 in an hour if need be.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Mental mate, mental. That's £28 if my sums are right? I guess that saves you a fiver but you'd almost have been as well paying in direct? Unless I'm very drunk I'll draw the line at one satellite. Two if I've had a horrendous beat and feel karma's going to repay me. 4? Never.

Good luck though bud, see you at the final table.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : Mental mate, mental. That's £28 if my sums are right? I guess that saves you a fiver but you'd almost have been as well paying in direct? Unless I'm very drunk I'll draw the line at one satellite. Two if I've had a horrendous beat and feel karma's going to repay me. 4? Never. Good luck though bud, see you at the final table.
    Posted by bandini
    2x £1.50 ones = £3

2x £3 ones = 14

£3 + £14 = £17

:)

yea i said that to dylan12 in the last one when i made it unfortunetly i think he bubbled.
  • edited August 2010
    In Response to Re: PRIMO 29/08/2010 - OFFICIAL SHOW THREAD : +1, I think a lot of the main players with large BR's don't appreciate the effort, the less experienced or restricted BR players who qualify via satellites for the main events, put into just getting there. Setting yourself a target that improves on your last effort is the best way to progress in any activity. If you believe you are going to win every tournament from 400+ runners then good luck to you, you'll need it. I've been playing regularly on SkyPoker now for 9 months and I'm breaking even, I don't play for profit, yet. What was that Hellmuth said about swatting the Flys, lol.
    Posted by Red_King
    Now again, im guessing this might not be aimed at me but since ive been the one thats responded to your posts the most it could well be.

My BR currently stands at £115.98 enough to play in the Primo or any other main event, I THINK NOT. as of this time last week it was £26.26 but i managed to do well in a Deep Stack and Take on Tikay, why because i wasnt scared to bet.

Now i qualified for tonights Primo, like people like your self, again i treated the satellite more like a DYM than a tournament, but on the bubble i was chip leader for a while even then i was still shove or fold, i didnt make it pretty but i made it, thats the differance.

Over a longer period of time i give myself two chances, either i go bust trying or i manange to get a BR to match some of these bigger guys. But i know if i give myself the chance and play my best i can compete, my object is to win, yes ive never cashed in the Primo but untill 8PM tonight ive never played in it because of my BR.

If you want ill give you a last longer if your in?
  • edited August 2010
    can u play this hand plz i raised and had 2 callers then bet on flop and was re raised so i folded 285364892
  • edited August 2010
    GL tonight The_Don90, as posted earlier I bubbled the sat,
    like bandini I never opt for more than two sats for any event.
    Maybe next week, or I'm already in the Thurs £8k BH.
  • edited August 2010
    Hi can you play hand

Was a rather fun hand, was a little scared on the turn, just a little shocked my opponent didnt get away whern i looked at the HH.

Also thanks red_king gl in the BH in cant play in that as i have work on a thursday.