You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now.

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Also you see alot more outdraws at lower stakes due to thr fact some pleople dont know about pot odds etc....

Over the last week ive lost to quite a few rivered flushes, where i have bet big on every street but they got there by refusing to fold.

That isnt the software, thats the player wanting to hit without the right price to do so.

• edited February 2011
    I fully agree.  Also that they refused to comment or justify why they closed it is rather concerning.

Oynutter:  I like that you've thought out of the box to try and rationalise something that you also see.  But I think your reaching bud.  If someone slow plays a big hand against me i dont perceive it as a bad beat, merely that I was out played and I respect it. 

The kind of hands that are mainly being highlighted are the river two outers, Quads vs sets and the magic runner runners.  Also the boards that based on odds/implied odds you'd be very slow to release.  For me, I dont see how slow playing a hand would really negate these, because even if a hand were to be slow played, your still not putting your money in post without the redraw, nor does it account for runner runner madness.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now.:
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now. : What! You found an action hand on Stars  wow! Let me see - 200,000 players on site at any one time multiplied by 60 hands per hour ........ that's, well ..... a lot, and you found an action hand on the internet. Well done! Go and see if you can find some more :o)
    Posted by elsadog
    Haha Pwned :) wp sir.

It was more about the players on other sites making the same arguments people on this site are making.

Your saying that the other sites are more realistic. So do you believe that you are right about sky poker, but those making the same statements about other sites are wrong?
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now.:
    Also you see alot more outdraws at lower stakes due to thr fact some pleople dont know about pot odds etc.... Over the last week ive lost to quite a few rivered flushes, where i have bet big on every street but they got there by refusing to fold. That isnt the software, thats the player wanting to hit without the right price to do so.
    Posted by donkeyplop

On one hand your totally right.  But on the other:  your giving your opponent the totally wrong price to call but they ambitiously do so.  So even this should account for itself.  So saying there are more outdraws at lower stakes shouldnt exactly be so, as when they hit the river 1/5 (9x2.2 at the turn) refusing to fold, the 4/5 when they dont catch should make it very profitable, no?  Again %'s dont change. 

So even the lower stakes outdraw theory doesnt really hold, as your premium % plays should still have you dominating over sample size.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now. : . On one hand your totally right.  But on the other:  your giving your opponent the totally wrong price to call but they ambitiously do so.  So even this should account for itself.  So saying there are more outdraws at lower stakes shouldnt exactly be so, as when they hit the river 1/5 (9x2.2 at the turn) refusing to fold, the 4/5 when they dont catch should make it very profitable, no?  Again %'s dont change.  So even the lower stakes outdraw theory doesnt really hold, as your premium % plays should still have you dominating over sample size.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I thought we were looking for reasons as to why more out draws, not reasons for playing here being unprofitable.

What you are saying is proven by Irishrovers stats, he is seeing more out draws but still making profit.
  • edited February 2011
    Thank's Amybr. thing is, if someone is slowplaying AA, and someone has a mad draw, they get to hit it a lot more times than if they were bet off the pot, I can't say that I've seen quads over sets any more than statistics would allow, and I hav'nt been beat set over set for ages, so, although it does seem like something has changed here, I really don't think it's funny business, and for now at least, I'll continue to research the subject on the premise that the rise in slow playing has changed the game, and that Ed giddins is to blame--lol---- I am not discounting your concerns, because there has definitely been a change at the tables, but I would like to think that sky is a trustworthy site, and that there is an answer to be found for this change--- floppa whoppa!!
  • edited February 2011
    I was giving a counter point of view to a particular statement regarding people calling down light over 2 heavily bet streets with a particular draw. 

I wasnt really talking about profit.  I was drawing attention to the fact that the 1/5 should be corrected by the 4/5, the 4/5 incorporating and discounting the low level bad beat perception, which it doesnt.  Oynutter asked for what people thought and that was my answer.

Regardless of level, competency, ambition, money value, we shouldnt see the boards that are seen at the frequency that we do.  Someone can make bad calls all day long.  It doesnt effect the % outcome.  They will just experience the variance of getting their money in bad and hitting their outs supposedly on occasion.  But the opposite doesnt hold true.  Somebody putting their money in good (i mean 80%+ good) should hold AT LEAST 80% of the time, leading to exponential winnings.  Not classic beats over and over.  As Elsa says....... Rinse and Wash.. Rinse and Wash
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now. : . On one hand your totally right.  But on the other:  your giving your opponent the totally wrong price to call but they ambitiously do so.  So even this should account for itself.  So saying there are more outdraws at lower stakes shouldnt exactly be so, as when they hit the river 1/5 (9x2.2 at the turn) refusing to fold, the 4/5 when they dont catch should make it very profitable, no?  Again %'s dont change.  So even the lower stakes outdraw theory doesnt really hold, as your premium % plays should still have you dominating over sample size.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Over time they do, thats why I make a profit at low stakes cash.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now. : Haha Pwned :) wp sir. It was more about the players on other sites making the same arguments people on this site are making. Your saying that the other sites are more realistic. So do you believe that you are right about sky poker, but those making the same statements about other sites are wrong?
    Posted by RedHouse

LOL......... I was just using the same argument used by players to defend bad beats etc.

I've played online for about 9 years and I've been reading ''it's fixed/rigged'' threads for about 8 years and 11 months.

This series of threads started by the RNG thread steered away from the ''it's rigged'' theme but it did try to examine how online poker works. It was started because I, among others, were seeing things that didn't quite add up. Having played the site for 2 years things seem to me to change a few months ago. The site has always had a lot of newbies to the game and yes it was extremely profitable for some (including me). I am a member of about 15 other sites and regularly play on 2 others. I was struck by a number of things on here that I wasn't seeing to anything like the same extent on the other sites and eventually I voiced my concerns. I tried very hard not to scream FIX! although I must be honest it was tempting. 

A lot of people jumped on that bandwagon. A lot of them were in that post-suckout mentality and it showed. Some attempted to show what concerned them but maybe didn't get their point across too well. A number of regs got into it and came up with the usual counters to any accusation that something might not be quite right. There were also a couple of regular, experienced and profitable players who voiced their concerns along with myself. For most of the arguments as to why it can't be fixed there were put forward equally convincing counter arguments ............. and so the debating has continued.

It's now become a very broad based discussion and as expected nothing can be proven one way or the other. I don't think it's a matter of whether this site is more or less true than any other. The complexity of poker is the reason why anything can and undoubtedly will happen at some time. It's just that my take on it at present is that it's unusual to say the least.

• edited February 2011
    Thank's Amybr. thing is, if someone is slowplaying AA, and someone has a mad draw, they get to hit it a lot more times than if they were bet off the pot, I can't say that I've seen quads over sets any more than statistics would allow, and I hav'nt been beat set over set for ages, so, although it does seem like something has changed here, I really don't think it's funny business, and for now at least, I'll continue to research the subject on the premise that the rise in slow playing has changed the game, and that Ed giddins is to blame--lol---- I am not discounting your concerns, because there has definitely been a change at the tables, but I would like to think that sky is a trustworthy site, and that there is an answer to be found for this change--- floppa whoppa!!
    Posted by oynutter

I hear what your saying.  The other day I flopped a set of A's on a Ad8c9c board, bet heavily to the turn then check folded when the 3c binked the river, guy shows 10Jc.  Even hands such as these make sense to me, as I would likely play my opponents hand similar.  Poker is poker and sometimes this means making very hard folds, infact I find that the old saying of "preventing the loss of a big pot is more important than winning one".

But how do you make this distinction online when so many hands are coolers?  Or when you put youre money in with the nuts and insanity happens far too often? 

I'm going to think more on your perspective and see how it turns out.  But in the short term:  I play live ALOT.  Its all pretty standard.  I fully acknowledge that it is far easy to click a mouse than physically handling chips, that we dont have as much time to get a feel for our opponents range or time to think things through as much.  Nor to we tend to give people as much credit online.  These are all elements that go into the general looser/hyper aggressive game of online play.  But it still doesnt account for the regularity of the low percentage winning hands we see. 4%-!7% are still 4%-!7% no matter how often we see them, no matter how badly your table plays, or your opponent plays.  I am aware that 17% is approaching the 1/5 mark, but I could reel off many <1% hands that just leave me speechless.

Either way, nice to speak to someone looking for an answer instead of just repeating all the easy industry answers.

Oh one thing to add, you mention that people started slow playing hands like AK, JJ QQ.  To me, that is the standard of poker improving.  In the sense that poker shouldnt be just a jam fest.  As people experience the crippling all in variance (I believe) they like to leave themselves room to play post flop
  • edited February 2011
    If you slow play premium hands you then can't complain about getting outdrawn can you?
  • edited February 2011
    Something that has struck me reading the last posts is that the time given to play a hand on Sky is very short. I have been trying to help a couple of players in their tournament play recently on PS and one of the things I have had to keep reminding them is to use the timer before making their move. On Sky all decisions are having to be made relatively quickly.
  • edited February 2011
    If you slow play premium hands you then can't complain about getting outdrawn can you?
    Posted by donkeyplop
    No you can't, but you can wonder at how often it happens. Slow play doesn't equal outdraw every time.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Depends on the frequency of the outdraws.
  • edited February 2011
    Posted by donkeyplop

I dont understand the context of this or who its directed to...?

But just to put it out there, if you can isolate your hand against one player, or your very strong multi way, there's nothing wrong with slow playing a hand.  For people to feel that it is ultimately so deadly is online poker at work.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now. : No you can't, but you can wonder at how often it happens. Slow play doesn't equal outdraw every time.
    Posted by elsadog
    Your post went up as I was typing mine :)

Again, in full agreement.
  • edited February 2011

I think the last word on all these kinda threads should gon to the people who trust it enough to rely on the site to feed their kids and pay their bills.

I bought my dog a denta-stick last week, and my phone contract went over by £6.43, so maybe I don't qualify.

But "ask tsp" - they'll tell ya!    ;)
  • edited February 2011
    Simplest way I look at is this.  How ofter, with what level of frequency, do you see people come back to win off the flop, in live play, to runner runner, when allin behind?

How often do you see it online?  The difference is simply staggering.
  • edited February 2011
    But out draes are far more likely when the best hand is slow playing, because flat calling all the time draws tha whole table into the pot, thus AA becomes less than 50% favorite
  • edited February 2011
    But out draes are far more likely when the best hand is slow playing, because flat calling all the time draws tha whole table into the pot, thus AA becomes less than 50% favorite
    Posted by oynutter

If you're gonna slow play Aces UTG then you want your head examining. Isolating is the name of the game then slow playing one opponent to draw maximum chips. It doesn't (or should I say shouldn't) mean shoving your stack in with AA every time.

Choosing to slow play is good in the right circumstances.

• edited February 2011
    Posted by oynutter

Yes I agree, It would be very bad play to slow play any hand pre flop 5 handed.  As I mentioned earlier, if you've isolated your hand, or allowed your opponent to isolate your hand for you, then there is nothing wrong with the slow play.  It shouldnt be the death trap it appears online. 
  • edited February 2011
    I've seen a lot of players flat call AA utg lately, I think it's daft, but they seem to think pretending they are weak is the way to play the game, very often, when the blinds are low, the whole table calls, they lose half their stack to a straight and type "typical sky" in the chat box--- what's that all about?--lol
  • edited February 2011
    I've limped with A's UTG on occasion, mainly to re reaise a late position raiser or to call if only one player decides to get involved with a raise with no call behind.

If there is no raise and it goes to the flop 5/6 handed I am more than happy to check fold my hand on a wet board.  But yes I would never like my hand if I let that many random hands in that cheap.
  • edited February 2011
    It does you no favors imo, you either invite the whole table in, or your hand is exposed with the reraise
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah, it would very much depend on my opinion of the people at the table and their level of aggression.  But as long as you commit yourself to folding on the flop if it goes multi way then that scenario needent be a huge loss. 

You dont have to expose your hand either.  As long as the initial raise isnt called in multiple spots he protects and conceals your hand for you. 

I doubt i'd ever do it late in a tourney though
  • edited February 2011
    If you flat call, get your raise, reraise, you may as well tell him you got AA or KK ----- if you raise, get reraised, then flat call, your hand is perfectly disguised, and could easily be A-j ect-- much better position to be in, and far more likely to produce a big payout
  • edited February 2011
    Do you mean action hands like this with the perfect flop and the 'action' turn? :P

LIPPY Small blind  £1.00 £1.00 £150.20 phil12uk Big blind  £2.00 £3.00 £168.10   Your hole cards J 10       RUNITSRANN Fold     Stuporman Fold     MonkeyF Raise  £6.00 £9.00 £205.25 Sharksbite Fold     LIPPY Fold     phil12uk Raise  £20.00 £29.00 £148.10 MonkeyF Call  £16.00 £45.00 £189.25 Flop    Q 9 K       phil12uk Bet  £22.50 £67.50 £125.60 MonkeyF Call  £22.50 £90.00 £166.75 Turn    Q       phil12uk Check     MonkeyF Bet  £90.00 £180.00 £76.75 phil12uk All-in  £125.60 £305.60 £0.00 MonkeyF Call  £35.60 £341.20 £41.15 phil12uk Show J 10    MonkeyF Show 10 Q    River    7       phil12uk Win Straight to the King £339.40
  • edited February 2011
    Am i just being daft here? But as of yet NOBODY and i do mean NOBODY has put up any valid argument at all as to why sooooo many runner runner outdraws AND sooooo many ACTION HANDS are so frequent.
  • edited February 2011
    In Response to Re: These regular action hands, its all starting to look a bit siily now. : 6 handed tables and bad players don't generate the cards. 
    Posted by elsadog
    no but they generate the action - if you fail to at least understand that point then I give up

i'll prob play over a thousand sit n go's on here this month, and at least that amount on another site too (in an ideal world I wouldn't have to, but Sky's traffic ain't great) how many hands that equates to I don't know. but I can honestly say that I don't think there's any difference, apart from the standard is higher elsewhere
  • edited February 2011
    you are being daft debs.

The burden of proof is on the people who have doubts.

Not the people who trust.