You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What's wrong with this site?

Comments

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site?:
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site? : Lol at play on words. Takes integrity to concede on a matter like this, fair play bud. Fwiw i'm batting 9/12 against in AA and KK winning at showdown alpf and aiof live.  But also at 7 handed table last night 6 were dealt pocket pairs, furthermore worst one mined it. My longstanding views do still hold.  No-one says it doesnt happen live, frequency would be the point of concern mainly.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I'm sure amount of hands per hour plays a part in that:P
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site? : I'm sure amount of hands per hour plays a part in that:P
    Posted by SHARKY01
    oh oh feared I may enter these muddy waters with my comment :p

I do not and never have agreed with this industry perpetuated and accepted myth.  But heck, its all there in the back catalogue :p
  • edited September 2011
    i agree with most of what you say pod 1, but i think you may be missing my point. the question i would like answered is is the game truly random as this is what sites are implying. if it is random then each hand is dealt from a pack of 52 without any idea what the next card will be, this is regulated in the live game. and transparent for all to see, but is it the same for online poker. if sky put it in the forum that it is then i will accept that as a fact. i have never said that online poker is rigged. i am happy with my results on sky. i don't win a lot i dont lose a lot. i just enjoy playing poker. i take my bad beats have a moan and carry on.i am just asking that the regulations be transparent for everyone to understand. allowing them to decide weather they want to spend their money in full knowledge of all the facts
    Posted by drumahai05
    Any longterm viewer of A51 knows that myself and Elsadog have spoke in depth on these issues.  Its really all there in the threads from way back.

Elsadog really is the most informed and researched on the subject.  I wonder if, given the last month or so, he will expand upon this for you? :p

All hail the dog!  Only person to ever be reverse doomswitched :)  (kidding)
  • edited September 2011
    i think aymbr hit it on the head, listen to "da dog". i can only go by my stats. im sure there are 1000s of people who have 100000s of hands stored in things like holdem manager  and it would have become very apparent if something was amiss on i poker sites. this doesnt cover here ob, but i would like to think glass half full not half empty!¬

• edited September 2011
    i think aymbr hit it on the head, listen to "da dog". i can only go by my stats. im sure there are 1000s of people who have 100000s of hands stored in things like holdem manager  and it would have become very apparent if something was amiss on i poker sites. this doesnt cover here ob, but i would like to think glass half full not half empty!¬
    Posted by pod1
    Think you may need to delve into the back catalogue of A51 to discover what I meant there Pod, as its HUUUUuuugely off the mark :p
  • edited September 2011
    AMYBR - Totally digressing here and if I'm being nosey just tell me to........

I think I'm right that you only play live now, and I think I know your reasons but you seem to spend an awful lot of time on site....... do you never think " I'll just stick a tenner in and have a game"
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah I actually do every now and then.  I always run it up to 50 or so then donk it away in some way.  Thing is with me its not just that I dont fully trust online.  Its that I dont trust myself. 

I have beyond hidious online BR managment.  I could run 10 up to 200k and still find a way to lose it back.  My self control online doesnt exhist.  This, more than the variance of the game, is what made me give up online seriously.  Because winning is meaningless to me as - with the virtual nature of online - its intangible.  Meaning  I could have 200k in my online account but its a ghost.  Live I can take my stack to the cashier and its money in my hand.  This is an oversimplification but it is the truth in a very real way.

Until I fix that problem then its pointless for me to play.  My poker strategy and knowledge is stronger than its ever been.  But my self control is weaker than ever online.  I do not have the ability to exercise BR managment online.  If I did, I'd be doing well.  I'm compulsive and habitual and am not sure that I can change that.

I'll give you an example.  On a site that has 3 numbers as its logo I ran $50 up to about $1700 3 times on seperate days this month.  Then lost it all on evening or morning sessions on same day.  My Live BR is easily managed by going out with capped amounts. 

BR managment TRULY is the key to a successful online poker life.  Because of how my poker adventures started I dont think I have the capacity to do this.  (I ran $400 up to 30k @ FT very quickly then lost it back....quickly, shocker :p).

I love poker.  But manage myself better - financially and skillsetwise - Live.  I hope that changes at some point.  I've reached out to a few coaches as some things you cant fix on your own.  As Peter Jetton said (think it was Jetton), "You cant teach yourself algebra".

Probably a longer answer than you wanted but there it is :p
  • edited September 2011
    its sounds aymbr you dont have an rng problem or a poker problem, your hand analysis is 2nd to none. its a gambling problem. you know this anyway im sure. i have been and read back catalogue as you know when my friend(very loose term) aaron was posting, a lot of this came up then. i like yourself am not 100% confident with on line gaming, i have said this on many occasions. but the more i play with a larger sample size the more i feel it legit. yes i would like the gaming agency's to open up more and yes like dj says its prob not the rng its algorithms if anything is askew, but i can only go on what i feel and i feel its a harsh game with massive swings, but overall its fair.   phil
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks for being so honest, full respect to you for that. 

• edited September 2011
    its sounds aymbr you dont have an rng problem or a poker problem, your hand analysis is 2nd to none. its a gambling problem. you know this anyway im sure. i have been and read back catalogue as you know when my friend(very loose term) aaron was posting, a lot of this came up then. i like yourself am not 100% confident with on line gaming, i have said this on many occasions. but the more i play with a larger sample size the more i feel it legit. yes i would like the gaming agency's to open up more and yes like dj says its prob not the rng its algorithms if anything is askew, but i can only go on what i feel and i feel its a harsh game with massive swings, but overall its fair.   phil
    Posted by pod1
    Yes very true on all of it bud.  B ut I recognise that there is that issue so refuse to go to war with it by not playing online.  In my nl50/nl100 I've kind of reached negranue status as I pretty much know what hands my opponents are holding on any given occasion at showdown. 

But until I get a better handle on my compulsiveness I do need to take a back seat online.  Live I always go out with 3 and half buy ins.  Easily managed.  But BRM is the key to success.  I feel like I have a huge edge over any current players I sit with.  But an edge isnt enough mif your maxing out your BR continually.

Its like betting 66% of the board in roulette.  Your going to win in the mean.  But winning compounds the compulsion equalling a larger loss in long run.  If your willing to keep betting beyond your BR you are ALWAYSALWAYSALWAYS going to go broke, no matter how well you play or how much of a heater your on.
  • edited September 2011

Probably showing my ignorance here but couldnt you just deposit 3-4 bi's at a time and rathole anything over say 10. Try it as an exercise...a step1 if you like. With.draw b/r at night, deposit again in the morning.ement like.  God help the postman with your bank stat

• edited September 2011
    the other option would be to play with other peoples money??? have you thought how you would play/gamble if it wasnt your money?

• edited September 2011
    Probably showing my ignorance here but couldnt you just deposit 3-4 bi's at a time and rathole anything over say 10. Try it as an exercise...a step1 if you like. With.draw b/r at night, deposit again in the morning.ement like.  God help the postman with your bank stat
    Posted by owtfornowt
    Wouldt change anything.  Your recommending a line of dicipline where, at present, there is no capacity for it :p

I've come to have a sense of humour about it.  Understanding the cause of it is liberating.  You would be surprised (or maybe not) how many great players there are out there who are perma broke through poor BRM.
  • edited September 2011
    the other option would be to play with other peoples money??? have you thought how you would play/gamble if it wasnt your money?
    Posted by pod1
    Its funny you say this.  A reg has offered to stake me a ridic amount of money for Tournament entry.  No cash, just he pays the buyins and we split 50/50.

He has a succssful business so the money isnt a huge issue to him.  But I kind of think I'd resent it.  One of the worst days of poker I've had was at DTD Nottingham about 3 years ago.  Went with a good friend to play 1/2 and took £750.  Ashamed to say I lost my BI's super quick at roulette during a experimental phase.  He ended up staking me for the tournament next day, which I won.  I ended up having to give hime 5,6k cash which hugely p/i/ssed me off and ruined our friendship.

So am not eager to go down the same route. 

I'm confident I'll figure it out on my own at some point.  My live roll is healthy these days though.
  • edited September 2011
    Going to use my pp's up on freerolls. might get a bigger b/r to take with me. Off to play one now. Goodnight lads
  • edited September 2011
  • edited September 2011
    Only lasted an hour, our lass should be so lucky.........lucky, lucky, lucky..........shurrup Kylie I'm busy

It was brilliant, this interweb freaks me out, I've just had a virtual Friday night. If you've followed this thread you'll already know that I've had a bit chat with the lads, fell out, made up, said goodnight but then ............
    ...........I went off to the freeroll club............alone...........

Full of myself, I make my mouth go (Raise) This bloke offers me outside (All in) I accept the duel (Call). As ever 2 lasses (QQ) get involved. Before I know it there's another lass involved. True to life my mate turns up when the fight's over and as ever, I've been knocked out.                 

Look at this hand while I go for a kebab...........it is Friday night
    BigMikeDBC Small blind  300.00 300.00 10820.00
    MADCJD Big blind  600.00 900.00 6237.50
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

owtfornowt Raise  1200.00 2100.00 4350.00
    FAS Raise  3600.00 5700.00 5465.00
    dewdrop Fold     
    WALLY212 All-in  10275.00 15975.00 0.00
    BigMikeDBC Fold     
    MADCJD Fold     
    owtfornowt All-in  4350.00 20325.00 0.00
    FAS All-in  5465.00 25790.00 0.00
    WALLY212 Unmatched bet  1210.00 24580.00 1210.00
    owtfornowt Show
    • A
    • K

FAS Show
    • Q
    • Q

WALLY212 Show
    • J
    • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• K

FAS Win Three Queens 24580.00  24580.00

• edited September 2011
    Please dont get me wrong. i cant whinge and am not whingeing. best hand won
  • edited September 2011
    Please dont get me wrong. i cant whinge and am not whingeing. best hand won
    Posted by owtfornowt
    that makes a change for the best hand to hold out,,... u should of gone allin with rubbish raggy A and u wud of deffo beaten his QQ.
  • edited September 2011
    lol posted 2 hands earlier in this thread. you were involved in one of them and made a choice comment after river landed if i remember rightly
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site? : oh oh feared I may enter these muddy waters with my comment :p I do not and never have agreed with this industry perpetuated and accepted myth.  But heck, its all there in the back catalogue :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    So what  you saying is that playing 30 to 50 hands per hour should still have the same amount of odds as playing 60-100 hands per hour.
    As i am sure you're aware you will be dealt pocket aces every 221 hands (approx.) so if your play 100 hands per hour you will get aces once every 2hrs and 5- 10 mins (approx) if you play only 50hands per hour you get aces every 4hrs 10-20 mins (approx) it is not industry perpetuated, it is a basic knowledge of the odds and probabilities. :)

When calculating probabilities for a card game such as Texas Hold 'em, there are two basic approaches. The first approach is to determine the number of outcomes that satisfy the condition being evaluated and divide this by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, there are six outcomes (ignoring order) for being dealt a pair of aces in Hold' em: {A♣, A♥}, {A♣, A♠}, {A♣, A♦}, {A♥, A♠}, {A♥, A♦} and {A♠, A♦}. There are 52 ways to pick the first card and 51 ways to pick the second card and two ways to order the two cards yielding possible outcomes when being dealt two cards (also ignoring order). This gives a probability of being dealt two aces of .
  • edited September 2011
    Whether your aces will win after the flop is a totally different story. lol :)
  • edited September 2011

Also these probabilties are not 100% as you could play (real world or online) and be dealt aces 3 or 4 times in 1 hr, it does happen, or you could play for 4-6 hour and never get a pocket pair, it has happened to me both real world and online, and if your thinking that poker sites just want your money, then yes they do, as do real world, brick and mortar, whatever you want to call them, do, but they all have regulations that they have to adhere to.
    If you played "live" and got beat, you put it down to bad luck, but if you lose online, it's the site somehow trying to scam you.

>)))>.... :)

• edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site? : So what  you saying is that playing 30 to 50 hands per hour should still have the same amount of odds as playing 60-100 hands per hour. As i am sure you're aware you will be dealt pocket aces every 221 hands (approx.) so if your play 100 hands per hour you will get aces once every 2hrs and 5- 10 mins (approx) if you play only 50hands per hour you get aces every 4hrs 10-20 mins (approx) it is not industry perpetuated, it is a basic knowledge of the odds and probabilities. :) When calculating probabilities for a card game such as Texas Hold 'em, there are two basic approaches. The first approach is to determine the number of outcomes that satisfy the condition being evaluated and divide this by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, there are six outcomes (ignoring order) for being dealt a pair of aces in Hold' em: { A♣ , A♥ }, { A♣ , A♠ }, { A♣ , A♦ }, { A♥ , A♠ }, { A♥ , A♦ } and { A♠ , A♦ }. There are 52 ways to pick the first card and 51 ways to pick the second card and two ways to order the two cards yielding possible outcomes when being dealt two cards (also ignoring order). This gives a probability of being dealt two aces of .
    Posted by SHARKY01
    No this isnt what I was saying.  Yes. of course there ar more hph online.  Yes odds arent variable throughout the increased hph.

What I dont agree with is the accepted perception that there are more BB's online simply as a result of a higher ratio of hph.  Meaning that there ARENT more BB's relative to the ratio of hands played.  The accepted standard is that this is just narrow minded peoples PERCEPTION, as they dont account for the higher hph and therefore higher quantity of BB's, but this remains relative to standard action.  This accepted propaganda is what I dont agree with.  People easily argue that individuals retain memories of BB's far longer than their standard winning hands.  Its probably true for a portion, but not all.  I think its a sweeping blanket piece of propoganda that holds no real truth.

Been through all this way back.  But heck, simply my belief nothing else.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site? : No this isnt what I was saying.  Yes. of course there ar more hph online.  Yes odds arent variable throughout the increased hph. What I dont agree with is the accepted perception that there are more BB's online simply as a result of a higher ratio of hph.  Meaning that there ARENT more BB's relative to the ratio of hands played.  The accepted standard is that this is just narrow minded peoples PERCEPTION, as they dont account for the higher hph and therefore higher quantity of BB's, but this remains relative to standard action.  This accepted propaganda is what I dont agree with.  People easily argue that individuals retain memories of BB's far longer than their standard winning hands.  Its probably true for a portion, but not all.  I think its a sweeping blanket piece of propoganda that holds no real truth. Been through all this way back.  But heck, simply my belief nothing else.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Thats ok, everyone has different beliefs and perceptions on things. but if you played as much live as you do online, you have a different view. there are vids on youtube off unbievable, odd defying hands, as in one off my previous posts. AA vs KK vs QQ vs 77 vs 55 in the same hand, many of the theorist that online poker is rigged use such scenarios as an example, but it does happen live, and more often than not it's bad play that beats big hands, the site has no say over whether somebody will call you or not, just think about how many times you have folded only to find out that you would have won, with bad or good cards. Have you ever thought F it and called anyway and rivered someone? I know i have, when I'm tired or maybe a little on tilt.:)
  • edited September 2011
    Also these probabilties are not 100% as you could play (real world or online) and be dealt aces 3 or 4 times in 1 hr, it does happen, or you could play for 4-6 hour and never get a pocket pair, it has happened to me both real world and online, and if your thinking that poker sites just want your money, then yes they do, as do real world, brick and mortar, whatever you want to call them, do, but they all have regulations that they have to adhere to. If you played "live" and got beat, you put it down to bad luck, but if you lose online, it's the site somehow trying to scam you. />)))>.... :)
    Posted by SHARKY01
    Look bud, I think most people would agree I'm one of the more open minded and diplomatic people on this forum ...  (most of the time).

The reason I didnt want to open this particular can of worms is that its a widely misunderstood and mis represented issue.  That people are happy to perpetuate without really understanding the implications behind it.  I've never said that a site is trying to scam anyone.  But I do think as customers of a potentially corruptable INDUSTRY it is appropriate and healthy for consumers to discuss issues that they fear pose a potential issue.

I honestly dont care if online poiker is corrupt or not.  I do care that people who dare discuss elements of potential corruption are treated like they are idiots or crazy, belonging in the A51 crazy persons place.

UltimateBets corruption brought to light by a poker forum.  Fulltilt shut down to deceitful and corrupt practices.  Other huge scandals.  Yet people treat people who dare raise questions as though they are quering an untaintable entity.  It just hugely blows my mind how narrow minded people can be.

Again I dont have a firm opinion on the matter of the integrity of online.  I do have issues with people who think that online poker remains beyond reproach. I do have issues with people who think its ok to mock and diminish others POVs who appropriately breach the subject.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site? : Look bud, I think most people would agree I'm one of the more open minded and diplomatic people on this forum ...  (most of the time). The reason I didnt want to open this particular can of worms is that its a widely misunderstood and mis represented issue.  That people are happy to perpetuate without really understanding the implications behind it.  I've never said that a site is trying to scam anyone.  But I do think as customers of a potentially corruptable INDUSTRY it is appropriate and healthy for consumers to discuss issues that they fear pose a potential issue. I honestly dont care if online poiker is corrupt or not.  I do care that people who dare discuss elements of potential corruption are treated like they are idiots or crazy, belonging in the A51 crazy persons place. UltimateBets corruption brought to light by a poker forum.  Fulltilt shut down to deceitful and corrupt practices.  Other huge scandals.  Yet people treat people who dare raise questions as though they are quering an untaintable entity.  It just hugely blows my mind how narrow minded people can be. Again I dont have a firm opinion on the matter of the integrity of online.  I do have issues with people who think that online poker remains beyond reproach. I do have issues with people who think its ok to mock and diminish others POVs who appropriately breach the subject.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Then why say anything at all, I am not trying to mock anyones views, i am just trying to put, what i believe to be, a valid argument against online poker being rigged. My post was not directed at any 1 person, but the room as a whole, to try and maybe spark some thought as aposed to just automatically asuming that online poker is rigged because they saw a video on youtube or on a forum somewhere.
  • edited September 2011
    lets just agree to disagree on the subject.:)
  • edited September 2011
    all thge curruption was nothing to with online poker being rigged though, it was mainly about bank fraud and money laundering.
  • edited September 2011
    In Response to Re: What's wrong with this site? : Thats ok, everyone has different beliefs and perceptions on things. but if you played as much live as you do online, you have a different view. there are vids on youtube off unbievable, odd defying hands, as in one off my previous posts. AA vs KK vs QQ vs 77 vs 55 in the same hand, many of the theorist that online poker is rigged use such scenarios as an example, but it does happen live, and more often than not it's bad play that beats big hands, the site has no say over whether somebody will call you or not, just think about how many times you have folded only to find out that you would have won, with bad or good cards. Have you ever thought F it and called anyway and rivered someone? I know i have, when I'm tired or maybe a little on tilt.:)
    Posted by SHARKY01
    I have huge experience online and Live bud.  I dont watch the videos you mention on youtube for a simple reason.  They are variable snapshots.  They dont represent or demonstrate anything.  Watching a clip on youtube and forming an opinion on live poker is the same as some of the guys do in here vice versa.  They show one ridic online suckout and assume online is rigged.

A persons belief/perspective should be made up from a huge wealth of source material, not hands in isolation.  Of course bad beats happen live.  Of course tey happen online.  BB's are an integral part of poker.  Tournaments wouldnt end otherwise :p

I simply dont like, nor have ever liked, the way people are treated when asking appropriate questions.  Yes many dont have a clue what they are talking about, their rants showing there inexperience and naivity.  But that doesnt mean people should be scorned and mocked, or their opionions rendered meaningless by others who sit on the fence who are equally uninformed