You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UK Cash Game - Official Show Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited August 2011
    wasnt a thrilling spectacle to watch. even if they were just getting a feel of the table. hopefully episode 2 livens up.
  • edited August 2011
    some good hands so far.  woulda liked deeper stacks.

annoying that it wasn't noticed that GB was straddling and not minraising UTG with K3o etc.

Burland looks up for the game, figured is is hampered tho by Redmond sitting behind waiting tho.

really think action will kick off once that stacks start going in and people are 1k+ deeper.  then you'll see some action.

can't really remember the action by Burland made a big call v Thew with just A high?  Can we get the HH of that up Mr Sky Dave?
  • edited August 2011
    when is it repeated?
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: UK Cash Game - Official Show Discussion Thread:
    when is it repeated?
    Posted by offshoot
    Here you go (courtesy of Claire)

Saturday 25th night/ Sunday morning @ 2am
    Sunday 26th @ 2pm
    Monday 27th @ 5pm
    Monday 27th night/ Tuesday morning @ 2am
    Wednesday 29th @ midday
    Thursday 30th @ midnight
    Friday 1st July @ 21:00

• edited August 2011

using a "sandwich" technique...

i think it will become a really good show.  it was great to see how they play.

the only suggestion is that it would be good to upgrade the graphics.  resizing the display showing six hands to five and resizing again to four is distracting, disorientating and unnecessary.  furthermore, the position and style of these graphics is catering too much for those who have 4:3 televisions and consequently are too big, clumsy and central for 16:9 viewers.  the red tickertape at the bottom interferes with the displayed graphics at all times.  and the definition of the graphics is quite furry.

it was good to watch.  great stuff.

• edited August 2011
    using a "sandwich" technique... i think it will become a really good show.  it was great to see how they play. the only suggestion would be good to upgrade the graphics.  resizing the display showing six hands to five and resizing again to four is distracting and unnecessary.  furthermore, the position and style of these graphics is catering too much for those who have 4:3 televisions and consequently are too big, clumsy and central for 16:9 viewers.  the red tickertape at the bottom interferes with the displayed graphics at all times.  and the definition of the graphics is quite furry. it was good to watch.  great stuff.
    Posted by aussie09
    Ratio discussion?  James Hartigan will be here soon.   Aaron is in the middle of his reply, will be posted some time Tuesday.
  • edited August 2011
    I like the late time 'cos thats when I get the tele to myself and canm watch in peace

n Response to Re: UK Cash Game - Official Show Discussion Thread:
    Why is it on so late at night? :S
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
  • edited August 2011
    My first thought was why was the commentary louder than the chat ? With the volume at considerate levels for the commentary ( which wasn't bad for what is early days ) I could not always hear the chat. Rebalance them to roughly the same with a fader for the chat when the commentators want to add their twopenny worth. The best bits were when th cameras focussed on the faces of those in play so more of that and less roaming camera please
  • edited August 2011
    The continuous plugging of the Sky brand (on skypokerdotcom etc) plus the obvious use of other poker site logo's leads me to believe that this series will be sold on. As a matter of interest, where? I am just wondering if everyone would get the humour used by Rich & Tikay.

Was the £500 stake money their own money or were the Sky Poker Team players staked for this by Sky Poker? 
  • edited August 2011
    Watched this last night. nearly fell asleep tbh.

not a great deal of entertainment or exciting hands. only exciting person to watch was Reds and thats cos his a bit looser than the other nits.

i think they should of sat abit deeper imo.

hope episode 2 is more exciting
  • edited August 2011
    just seen the tv show.glitterbabe looked out of his depth.he made some awful donk bets and when he did have a hand the tells he gave away were laughable.he had no moves in whatsoever and looked verry uncomfortable.on the other hand young lolufold now he is a good plyr.lots of moves in him and playes position verry well indeed.as for the show? pretty boring really.only being honest.  ps glitterbabe isnt a pro is he?
  • edited August 2011
    The continuous plugging of the Sky brand (on skypokerdotcom etc) plus the obvious use of other poker site logo's leads me to believe that this series will be sold on. As a matter of interest, where? I am just wondering if everyone would get the humour used by Rich & Tikay. Was the £500 stake money their own money or were the Sky Poker Team players staked for this by Sky Poker? 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Rich said at the start that everyones BI was taken direct out of their Sky Poker accounts.

There was no 'obvious use'.  Its a standard thing that all poker shows have.  Even shows that are sponsered by Party/FTP/Stars will be filled with players who are badged up by rival sites.

My suggestions:

8/9 handed would be fun
    have a mix of ability in the players.  you need a couple of loose businessmen/some pros/some good recreational players/total unknowns. 
    GET ME ON THERE :) 
  • edited August 2011
    just seen the tv show.glitterbabe looked out of his depth.he made some awful donk bets and when he did have a hand the tells he gave away were laughable.he had no moves in whatsoever and looked verry uncomfortable.on the other hand young lolufold now he is a good plyr.lots of moves in him and playes position verry well indeed.as for the show? pretty boring really.only being honest.  ps glitterbabe isnt a pro is he?
    Posted by windamon
    very unfair to criticise GB.  all the others have some experience on being on camera.  if he did look uncomfortable its probably due to nerves of being in the spotlight rather than the poker/who he is up against.  GB has played that level and higher cash games for a very long time. 

some of the play was boring as they showed every hand.  most other tv poker shows edit them so we only see the big pots and not the standard button raise getting thru the blinds etc.
  • edited August 2011
    Posted by windamon
    Haha mate, id love to see you on there and see how you get on. GB is a great cash player, he didnt get many hands last night and still turned a profit. Dont criticise someone who is far better and more experienced than you :)
  • edited August 2011
    Hey guys- thanks for watching the show and for your feedback. I haven't had chance to see the final edit yet, but obv I watched the basic footage to commentate over.

As for the Wayne straddle- it was an unfortunate thing that our graphics were not compatible with it. The graphics would say immediately that he had min-raised UTG instead of announcing the straddle. And that's what Tikay and I had to go on when we saw the footage for the first time weeks later and had to effectively commentate live over it because we were up against it time-wise and didn't have the luxury to do take after take.

But apologies regardless for this oversight and I hope Wayne doesn't think he's been disrespected in any way. He knows full well what Tikay and I think of him as a man and as a player. He oozes class.

As for exciting hands- it's poker of course, so they only happen every now and then in a real game. And we wanted to give you what you generally don't tend to get in these type of shows- largely unedited hand-for-hand action rather than the chopped-up highlights of just the AA v KK hands.

:-)
  • edited August 2011

Loved the show last night redmond was playing excellent and was thoroughly enjoyable and so refreshing to see cash action that i could imagine average joes sitting at similar blind level tables rather than the millions you see on other shows though entertaining id rather watch people grinding like its a normal day at the office

• edited August 2011
    almost finished watching this...i've been on tv tables a few times & i was super nervous so i think you have to allow a settling in period.
    we all played with our own money; fwiw i went halves with tikay.
    wayne ran super-bad & i was impressed that he stuck it out...i'da been long gone.
    fair play to sky for showing every handit was a fun couple of days & i'd be very happy to get another shot!

• edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: UK Cash Game - Official Show Discussion Thread : Haha mate, id love to see you on there and see how you get on. GB is a great cash player, he didnt get many hands last night and still turned a profit. Dont criticise someone who is far better and more experienced than you :)
    Posted by Wacko90
    iam led to believe this is a poker forum were i can air my views.iam entitled to my opinion just like you, wether they are right or wrong.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: UK Cash Game - Official Show Discussion Thread : iam led to believe this is a poker forum were i can air my views.iam entitled to my opinion just like you, wether they are right or wrong.
    Posted by windamon
    paradoxically, you rebuke wacko90 for his views.

• edited August 2011
    Watched this last night. nearly fell asleep tbh. not a great deal of entertainment or exciting hands. only exciting person to watch was Reds and thats cos his a bit looser than the other nits. i think they should of sat abit deeper imo. hope episode 2 is more exciting
    Posted by Crunchybob
    +1
  • edited August 2011
    I am curious on a technical point, I noticed that there were no cameras in the table to view the player's cards like in other televised poker shows.  So how did Sky display their hole cards on the screen?

Also, why was the buy-in so tiny?  I am used to watching £100K BI games on TV, so this just looked like a few mates on a kitchen table - just being honest.

Cheers

FH
  • edited August 2011
    I am curious on a technical point, I noticed that there were no cameras in the table to view the player's cards like in other televised poker shows.  So how did Sky display their hole cards on the screen? Also, why was the buy-in so tiny?  I am used to watching £100K BI games on TV, so this just looked like a few mates on a kitchen table - just being honest. Cheers FH
    Posted by Fullhaus
    The cards have tiny chips in them which sensors above the table pick up. Tikay mentioned it in the commentary (and I think in a post on another thread a while back).

• edited August 2011
    Yeah thats a clever idea about the cards having tiny chips in them, I'm sure that'll become the norm now on most poker shows rather than those intrusive cameras.

I too have a similar issue with the sound as one of the other posters noted; I had to stick my telly upto 40 at 2am in the morning (Sky+'d it) to try and pick up what the players were saying. Rich and TK were very aware during their commentary that people would like to hear the players' banter and kept respectfully quiet most of the time, so I hope that the sound will be adjusted for the second show edit?
  • edited August 2011
    There was a lot of table-talk about the WSOP 2010 highly emotional exit but they couldn't remember the player's name. It was Matt Affleck. HERE it is (link opens in new window).

• edited August 2011
    There's been some really interesting comments made on this thread - thanks a lot for those. I just wanted to offer my own personal opinion on the format of the show and why, for me at least, it was a good one to choose.

Regarding playing higher stakes: It was something we could have considered doing but in my opinion I would rather watch a Sky Poker show which relates to the players we have on this site and cash levels we can aspire to play. Sure you don't get to see a million pound pot in this show, but isn't Sky Poker a bit more of a Community focused thing than that? It was great see some of our TSP members in there mixing it with some of the biggest names in UK poker, imo, and credit should be given to them. Cranking the blinds up to £25/50 or £50/100 would have excluded the opportunity for some Sky Poker players, I believe.

Some of you mention that you found the show a little dull at times. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, and I can understand why some would rather watch 'crash, bang, wallop!' poker.

I actually think it was more interesting for showing as many of the hands as possible. If we go the other route and edit out the 'dull' hands and only show the action ones, it's taking the game and skewing it. Imagine if we saw a hand where Wayne had got a guy to stack off pre- with TT. We know Wayne's image on the whole is quite tight, so we'd up in arms saying "how can that guy stack off vs Wayne like that?". In the show he got off to quite a frisky start - editing out those hands which set his table image up like that would risk understanding and appreciating the bigger hand.

When you're playing live cash, the vast majority of the hands are quite dull and uneventful. The skill is noticing the betting patterns, how the image of each of the players evolves and where you're at in this particular moment.

Watching this show kinda felt like I was doing the same thing. Reds was definitely the most aggro player at the table, but did you see how that came about. Didn't do too much early doors, then seemed (in my opinion) to tangle with Jamie a little more than the others. Not sure why that would be the case - or if it was true at all - but was certainly how I perceived it. I found that bit to be fun.

Then there was Wayne and his 'straddling'. This was at the very start of the session and there was some disagreement amongst players and production as to whether the software 'liked' straddling. It sometimes looked like he was raising UTG rather than straddling and that meant Tikay and Orford followed the graphics. A very tricky one to tell apart, and it was resolved later in the recording so you should find this becomes less of an issue.

As an aside, I thought Wayne actually did min-raise a couple of pots and I was in the studio at the time! I might be wrong, I might also be falling in the same trap as the commentary, but I am 90% sure he did get a bit jiggy. It was hard to tell at times, honestly. If I'm wrong I am sure GB will come and slap me around the head, either on the thread or in person!

Feedback on graphics and so on will be noted by Claire and her team. They do appreciate constructive criticism and feedback, so keep it coming and that gives them even more to work with :)

Finally, I'd like to say that none of us - viewers, players or production alike - should forget this was our first ever attempt at this format. Live poker has some interesting challenges which were being tackled for the first time (such as getting Nik Persaud a cup of tea!), and I thought the effort was a very admirable one on all sides. The players were consummate and worked with the crew when needed to stop some of the action, straighten out sound or lighting, etc. When you're just wanting to play cards, it can be a little jarring. Not one of the players made an objection throughout the two days. Props for that.

The show is an ambitious project by Sky Poker but one I think, with a little tweak here and a play around there, could be one of the best ones to air on Channel 865.

Right, enough from me. The above is my opnion and take on it, and certainly no better than any other views. I'm just chucking them out there for discussion points and to help some of the understanding of what making the UK Cash Game took.

Who's up for Episode 2? :)

• edited August 2011
    Dave great post here is my view

I did enjoy watching it and have watched it 2 and half times since (fell asleep one time but was 2am start P)

I agree it was dull on occasions but i prefer to watch every hand rather then miss out some standard play, it gives a fairer idea of how they all play and also we can all learn from it IMO

Redmond was awesome as ever can you post HH of 82 hand because each time i keep missing did he take it down? vs AK & AJ

I also wanted to mention i think Nick Persuad was a great guest(if i spelt his surname correct?) just in general he was quite entertaining not playing side but instigated most conversations etc.

PS- i'd love to have a go if someone staked me :P
  • edited August 2011
    Being one of those that greatly benefitted from the launch of the new UK cash game - thanks again for ther sky roller entry (sorry i couldnt do better than 26th out of 41).

I tuned in to the prog and was confused by the logo in the corner saying "replay" or something similar. i was not sure whether we were supposed to be watching what was being shown or was I watching a prog put on because of a technical fault. Having stuck with it for a while I realised (or guessed) that was the scheduled programme. It was a facinating insight into how the great and good minds work - but i tend to agree with most that the graphics (and the logo? saying replay - or something like that - stopped me getting involved in the way that I wished i could.

I agree it is a brilliant idea - and always good to see "live" players at work - and I hope the glitches are soon ironed out.
  • edited August 2011
    Defo up for episode 2

Enjoyed the show and loved the conversation myself and Wacko were having in the chatbox of a MTT during it.  I think everyone understands that there are a couple of production issues to iron out, no biggies (someone leaving on the reply graphic from the previous show, sound levels etc) but this is totally understandable and excepted for a new show.

Regarding Dave's comment about playing higher, completely agree with you that these are great blind limits to watch.  I don't think anyone wants to see them play higher, rather they'd like to see everyone play deeper.  This will naturally happen through the shows (unless anyone hits and runs of course ;) ) so again, no biggie.  Just a personal preference that the starting stack could have been up to 200 or even 300 BB rather than the 100 we were told.

Looking forward to the next one.
  • edited August 2011
    In Response to Re: UK Cash Game - Official Show Discussion Thread : paradoxically, you rebuke wacko90 for his views.
    Posted by aussie09
    contradictory but nevertheless possibly true.