You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited February 2012

...........Hi Tony, I c&p'd something I posted in GPC wrt Omaha HiLo and wondered if you knew if Sky had any thoughts (or if anything was in the pipeline) with trying to increase traffic for HiLo........many thanks Billy.   "I would love to learn to play HiLo properly but I'm not really prepared to fritter away my bankroll doing so......I learnt / learning Omaha by playing the freerolls and micro dym's but as yet Sky have not got these running for HiLo (or maybe haven't got the traffic to do so). My thoughts on getting more players to try HiLo is to get some deepstack freerolls (normal structures would be much less beneficial imo as the game would be over far too quickly for most newbies). I would love to see micro stake HiLo stt's to enable a few of us to get to grips with the game.....gd luck guys. Ps: wud love to see Penguin/Imber and the regular Omaha players take a lead in getting Sky to achieve this as I'm sure you would have more sway with the the suits etc;....gd luck." Ps:.......The cheapest Omaha HiLo stt is £2-10p Hu..........I am convinced that is far too expensive for many to learn a highly skilled game.  
    Posted by billyboots

...........................Bump............................. 13/1/12  (p196)

Any news on this pls Tony 
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Lol, good spot Mr S! Obviously, I ran outrageously good, & yes, I really enjoyed it. When we got heads up, the other chap said "you don't pass many hands, you surprised me there, I had you down wrong". I passed very few hands when we got H-U, why would I? But early doors, I mostly sat out, & if I did enter a pot, usually when I was on the button, with 3 limpers already, I just potted it, & everyone would fold. I doubt I played 10 hands before we made the Final. I did run rather good, though. Guess I owe you a drink, now! If I am around, & not too tired, I'll try & join it again this evening.
    Posted by Tikay10

This is always a very satisfying little tournament to win. Having been knocked out of 3 of my 4 tournaments, I followed the final table action with some interest. I disagree that you ran outrageously good.

One thing that always strikes me about this game is how well defined the moment is to make that tactical step change, and you did it superbly.

It was interesting when you were headsup. You folded nothing ! I was unsure whether this was because you had a healthy chip lead, but think it was more that your opponent was a tad tardy in seeing what you were about.

I tend to play HU a little differently, and even when there are only 40 BBs on the table, will be folding the KJ84 rainbows without hesitation on the button. And raising any hand that plays both ways. But it does depend on what your opponent allows you to do.

I also lurked in the chatbox without feeling the need to contribute, and as usual was impressed by the fact that all the players on the table commented intelligently.

Regarding yesterdays little glitch.....We are so fortunate in having our forum to express our opinions here. The fact that two seperate threads opened quickly on the matter showed the strength of feeling. There is a reluctance to go to customer service with such issues. I think many of us feel that firstly it is often harder to get the point across to them than it is to other forum members, and secondly that it makes us appear as a lone voice in the wilderness.

By using the forum it is a way of gauging the depth of opinion, and thereby presenting a united front. And the fact that someone from Sky picked it up quickly is superb. Once again the fact that all of the views expressed in the forum were honest and politely phrased is commendable.

We are not such a bad lot, us Hiloers !

Briefly on Billyboots post above. My reaction to it was more about the hilo tournies rather than the STTs. The £1.10 tournies at 11.55, 14.55 and 16.55 are always well supported and have introduced many new players to the game.

But they do not run in the evening when traffic is higher. There are two scheduled £11 tournaments which I believe have never run. Someone at Sky promised to send it upstairs but no further response.

Finally, if anyone is interested in some sort of monthly league based around the £100 gtd @20.25, I will gladly get involved in organising it,

I will be there tonight, hope you can make it again too. :)
  • edited February 2012

...........Just to continue with the theme,......I noticed and played in the HiLo tourney the other day (£1-10p) and was happy to use this as a learning curve (it was only my 2nd attempt at playing this game) and i must say to anyone that has never tried this format of poker, it was great fun and certainly keeps the grey matter working that little bit harder......brilliant game.
    Really would like to see some micro stt's to enable us all to get the grips with the game and hence to  get more players taking it up.......not a gripe or a rant, just an observation and i think for the better good for us all.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : ...........Just to continue with the theme,......I noticed and played in the HiLo tourney the other day (£1-10p) and was happy to use this as a learning curve (it was only my 2nd attempt at playing this game) and i must say to anyone that has never tried this format of poker, it was great fun and certainly keeps the grey matter working that little bit harder......brilliant game. Really would like to see some micro stt's to enable us all to get the grips with the game and hence to  get more players taking it up.......not a gripe or a rant, just an observation and i think for the better good for us all.
    Posted by billyboots
    This seems to be the route most new players are entering the game, and these tournaments are becoming increasingly popular.  I for one am encouraging all of my fellow TPT team mates to give these a try.  Those that have tried have enjoyed the experience and seek further information on the game. Unfortunately these only run during the daytime and are unavailable for players who can only play evenings.  The next lowest buy in is the £2.25 DYM, which is a bit steep if you are just learning he game.

I would be interested in the Hi Lo league Tony.  Hopefully Tikay will be too tired to participate, as he sounds a bit handy.
  • edited February 2012
    why time do players with the most chips on a table always win 99% of the time even when they gotthe worst hand.
    sky poker is rigged

• edited February 2012
    why time do players with the most chips on a table always win 99% of the time even when they gotthe worst hand. sky poker is rigged
    Posted by kolomish
    99% of the time? That may be a slight exaggaration, Sir.

Send me some Hand Histories to show that, please.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Morning splashies. Not yet, but I'll try & get it sorted this week.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Bump ;)
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Tikay, or anyone who may be able to help.

I have been playing poker recreationally for a few years now and over the last 6 months my results have been quite good.

I am considering playing for a living, but have a couple of questions about tax on poker winnings.

Firstly, in the UK, is it correct that poker winnings are tax free?

Secondly, if I were fortunate enough to be sponsored for tournaments, does that change anything about the tax issue?

Thirdly, presumably potential advertising revenue would be taxable.

Many thanks

Graham (STAYORGO)
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Tax on Poker winnings:
    Hi Tikay, or anyone who may be able to help. I have been playing poker recreationally for a few years now and over the last 6 months my results have been quite good. I am considering playing for a living, but have a couple of questions about tax on poker winnings. Firstly, in the UK, is it correct that poker winnings are tax free? Secondly, if I were fortunate enough to be sponsored for tournaments, does that change anything about the tax issue? Thirdly, presumably potential advertising revenue would be taxable. Many thanks Graham (STAYORGO)
    Posted by StayOrGo
    It's true they don't pay tax on poker winnings, not sure about being sponsored for tournaments but I'd imagine you still wouldn't pay tax on it cos it's still poker winnings, but yeah advertising revnue would be taxable because it's essentially a job; a company is paying you to advertise for them.

However, unless you have like zero responsibility and can just give it a go and not really care if it fails, I would recommend waiting ALOT more than 6 months of things going well before deciding you can do it as a living.

What stakes do you pay and how much are you winning per month? I'm not bothered if you don't wanna post how much you win a month, but just take an average of them 6 months and are you consistently making £1500+ a month, because otherwise it's gonna be pretty easy to beat that with a normal job and still earn say £400 a month on the side.
  • edited February 2012
    I have a idea for a new high stakes Poker tournament for maybe sky to try out and make maybe a once a month event like the sunday roller used to be.
    It would be a BH capped at 36 players on 6 tables with a buy in of £220.
    1 winner from each table progresses through to the FT.
    The £200 is divided into £100 towards overall tournament winner, £50 towards table winner in semi, and £50 as a Bounty chip, so each player u KO u get awarded £50.
    So, If you win your semi you are guaranteed £300 plus Bounty Prizes, then on the FT all 6 players will fight it out for a winner takes all £3600.
    I really think this would go down well with sky regulars and is maybe worth a try once a monnth?
    Views please Mr Tikay?
  • edited February 2012
    I have a idea for a new high stakes Poker tournament for maybe sky to try out and make maybe a once a month event like the sunday roller used to be. It would be a BH capped at 36 players on 6 tables with a buy in of £220. 1 winner from each table progresses through to the FT. The £200 is divided into £100 towards overall tournament winner, £50 towards table winner in semi, and £50 as a Bounty chip, so each player u KO u get awarded £50. So, If you win your semi you are guaranteed £300 plus Bounty Prizes, then on the FT all 6 players will fight it out for a winner takes all £3600. I really think this would go down well with sky regulars and is maybe worth a try once a monnth? Views please Mr Tikay?
    Posted by macapaca
    hello MACCA, have you been watching the poker on i think its channel 4 or 5 midweek on a wednesday i think, they do a similar structured live tournament like this i think its called pokerstars north american bounty hunter at the venitian in las vegas, its worth watching if you havent seen it, i thought maybe this was where you picked the idea up from ? it looks great fun and is played alot looser as everyone is chasing the bounty, the only bad thing is the show seems to focus too much on the highly annoying eye twitching daniel negranu who trys to guess out loud everyones hands even when he has no involvment in the hand, i would definately have a go of this tournament if sky decided to run one, thats if they got a few satellites going for it and reserved a few seats for the people who cant afford the 220 buy in, what you say tikay ?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : hello MACCA, have you been watching the poker on i think its channel 4 or 5 midweek on a wednesday i think, they do a similar structured live tournament like this i think its called pokerstars north american bounty hunter at the venitian in las vegas, its worth watching if you havent seen it, i thought maybe this was where you picked the idea up from ? it looks great fun and is played alot looser as everyone is chasing the bounty, the only bad thing is the show seems to focus too much on the highly annoying eye twitching daniel negranu who trys to guess out loud everyones hands even when he has no involvment in the hand, i would definately have a go of this tournament if sky decided to run one, thats if they got a few satellites going for it and reserved a few seats for the people who cant afford the 220 buy in, what you say tikay ?
    Posted by ralpho1127
    Yes Ralpho, that s where i got the idea off, i have been watching it on channel 4 and thought itd be a great tourny for sky poker, come on tikay, ur the 1 with the magic powers, sort it out!!! lol
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Ask Tikay?:
    The Place to come and Ask tikay (our resident Sky Poker TV presenter) any questions you may have. no question is too big or too small and tikay will always be happy to help. so... ask away!... (edit by sky_rich) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Besides being a potential new section on the forum,i would like to know if you descretly or otherwise answered lady fingers post about dead money at the gutshot to liven up tournaments or cash games?
    Posted by Any2Suited
    does sky allow me to use any sort of tracking software if so what thanks
  • edited February 2012
    Love the new set.. very posh !!
    But why reduce the "live " content,As aspiring players not to go pro but to reduce the leisure player who becomes a fish nothing loses interest than always losing..with the great idea of using redmond et al as experts we need more live output. I know from your previous comments you do not want the tv set to take over. I feel you have gone to far the other way
    I get fed up of watching repeats. with out of date promotion of events by presenters
  • edited February 2012
    hi Tikay new to this site although I have been watching for quite a while on Sky. just one slight dissapointment there is a lack of chat (banter) whilst playing. I can understand serious play on the big tables but when the stakes are 2 4 pence surely a bit of chat is ok even if it's about the weather or the road works on the m25. any advice on tables where chat is not frowned upon or is it a good idea to go else where?
  • edited February 2012
    hi Tikay new to this site although I have been watching for quite a while on Sky. just one slight dissapointment there is a lack of chat (banter) whilst playing. I can understand serious play on the big tables but when the stakes are 2 4 pence surely a bit of chat is ok even if it's about the weather or the road works on the m25. any advice on tables where chat is not frowned upon or is it a good idea to go else where?
    Posted by CHARLIE201
    Hi, I'm not tikay, but I'm sure he'll be along to answer soon.

In the meantime you can find lots of good fun banter on Sky Poker.  If you play tournaments at all then try entering some of the community / forum organised fun competitions.  The most popular is on Monday's and there is a forum thread about it here.

FORUM DTD 13/02....EVERYBODY WELCOME

• edited February 2012
    Posted by CHARLIE201

I can't speak for the cash games as I usually play with my chat off, but if your looking for lots of banter while you play why not give the Forum DTD games a try on Monday nights, 3 MTT's for a total outlay of £5.50.  You don't have to play in all the games if you don't want to but I can guarantee plenty of chat.  The details if you are interested are here.

There is also a Friday night game at 7.15 which is a 10 seater game (The Orfordable) and there is usually lots of banter in there too.

Edit: Machka wins again lol

Steve
  • edited February 2012
    Posted by CHARLIE201
    Also, if you're on the cash tables look out for TRIP5 or Samantha25, they never shut up.
  • edited February 2012
    Posted by CHARLIE201
    I think you just got unclucky, Charlie, or, some might say, lucky!

Not everyone enjoys chatting whilst they play, but the majority do.

As others have suggested, try tonight's "forum DTD", it will cost you a fiver in total, for three Toueneys, 3 or 4 hours of fun, & most everyone chats away 13 to the dozen.

Road works on the M25? Happy to discuss that fascinating topic any day!
  • edited February 2012
    Love the new set.. very posh !! But why reduce the "live " content,As aspiring players not to go pro but to reduce the leisure player who becomes a fish nothing loses interest than always losing..with the great idea of using redmond et al as experts we need more live output. I know from your previous comments you do not want the tv set to take over. I feel you have gone to far the other way I get fed up of watching repeats. with out of date promotion of events by presenters
    Posted by rogdad
    Good morning Roggy.

I'm not sure I fully understand your first question, but please see
    THIS which may answer some of your points.
  • edited February 2012
    [QUOTE]I have a idea for a new high stakes Poker tournament for maybe sky to try out and make maybe a once a month event like the sunday roller used to be. It would be a BH capped at 36 players on 6 tables with a buy in of £220. 1 winner from each table progresses through to the FT. The £200 is divided into £100 towards overall tournament winner, £50 towards table winner in semi, and £50 as a Bounty chip, so each player u KO u get awarded £50. So, If you win your semi you are guaranteed £300 plus Bounty Prizes, then on the FT all 6 players will fight it out for a winner takes all £3600. I really think this would go down well with sky regulars and is maybe worth a try once a monnth? Views please Mr Tikay?
    Posted by macapaca

My personal view - as opposed to that of Sky Poker, though I suspect they are similar - is no, it does not hold great interest, I'm sorry to say. That's not to say it is a bad idea, far from it, but we all like different things. Me, I hate brussel sprouts & love steak & kidney pudding, but not everyone does.....

The High Rollers would almost certainly not be interested, as it reduces the amount they can win, & not many would pay £200 to have the chance win so little. "Bigger" players want to win more, smaller players prefer the money spread around. Horses & courses.

It also lacks THE miost important factor that any business must consider with new ideas - scaleability*. This has an absolute "cap" of 36 players, & so does not scale at all.

* Scaleability is why some businesses fail, & others prosper. When Mr Page & Mr Brin started google, they were happy to invest a lot in it, because it had unlimited room for growth & expansion - "scaleability". And so it proved, they did OK.....

Keep the ideas coming though, all are welcome, & I have sent the idea up to Head Office, as they may consider I am wrong. That won't be a first, either.....
  • edited February 2012
    just starting to play poker, need some tips for a beginner really, just a little tip in the right direction to start off!
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Tikay,

How many seats are left at Brighton and do you think there'll be seats left and they'll be offering direct buy-ins for this one? I've only just decided to go to this one (assuming I get a seat) so I'm gonna try and satellite in but just checking if I can buyin direct as a back up

Paul

P.S. I did post this in the SPT thread but I thought I'd post it here too cos I wasn't sure how often you check the other one.
  • edited February 2012
    Hi Tikay, How many seats are left at Brighton and do you think there'll be seats left and they'll be offering direct buy-ins for this one? I've only just decided to go to this one (assuming I get a seat) so I'm gonna try and satellite in but just checking if I can buyin direct as a back up Paul P.S. I did post this in the SPT thread but I thought I'd post it here too cos I wasn't sure how often you check the other one.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This was posted by Mr SPT in another thread and I think answers your question, at least in part.

I'll take this as I have seen it first

the Aim is always to sell out SPT events via Online satellites only.

The stated strategy is

"Direct Buy-Ins are NOT available except for Priority Club members. This may change at a later date if seats remain available.

Some additional seats MAY become available later.
    "

It is most likely that direct buy in for Brighton will not open at all. More of a possibility that a direct buy in for Glasgow happens, but no guarantee at this stage for either venue..both being just my opinions

If we were to state "no direct buy ins under any circumstances" and for whatever reason an event does not sell out online, then we are left with a part sold event. Flexibility is key here. As Sky Poker is paying considerable sums to venues and to put on the tour (live streaming, camera crew, staff etc) it makes sense for them to keep the option open, for direct entry, if required, so events sell out.

Put direct entry on at the start? Well maybe but one of the things that helps pay for the tour is the online satellites....they are always going to be the focus at the start of the process of filling an event
  • edited February 2012
    Cheers Kiwini!

Do you know how many seats are still available or any way I can find out? Should I just give the casino a call or will they not know at this stage?
  • edited February 2012
    Cheers Kiwini! Do you know how many seats are still available or any way I can find out? Should I just give the casino a call or will they not know at this stage?
    Posted by Lambert180
    You could look in this thread cunningly titled SPT Brighton & Glasgow, March 10th that tikay updates daily.

or go to the Tournaments tab in the lobby, untick Reg Only, scroll to the bottom and look at how many players are Registered for the tournament SPT Brighton.

or click THIS LINK.

btw, it's currently 47 taken, so 53 available. ;-)
  • edited February 2012
    Cheers Kiwini! Do you know how many seats are still available or any way I can find out? Should I just give the casino a call or will they not know at this stage?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Lambert.

No, there is no point asking the Casino, it has nothing to do with them, they are our seats, not theirs, & they have no control over the procudure for sests, they just host the Event.

The procedure is as follows.

The Venue set the capacity - in this case 140 - & Sky Poker release approx 70% of the seats immediately for Online qualification on Sky Poker.

The balance are held back for the time being for....

1) Guests of Sky Poker. We invite a few Celebs or "Big Names" poker players whenever possible.

2) Prizes - SPT Seats are often given away as competition prizes, usually at least 4 or 5.

3) The venue, for a Live Super-Satellite. This is very important - we don't want the locals & regulars to feel excluded from their own venue when Sky Poker come to town, so we always allocate them a few seats, in this case, 5. The Venue at Brighton have been on our case, hard, asking for extra seats, but it is very unlikely we will grant them.

4) Priority Club Members have the right to buy-in direct, via Sky Poker. It is hard to estimate Priority Demand, so we allow them to buy-in until a week or so prior to the Event, assuming seats remain available, & then we "close the door" to Priority Members. This is likely to be around 1st March, 10 days before the event.

5) For every SPT, a few seats are given away, free, to deserving Members of the Community, or for "special cases". This is done quietly, & never announced, or made known, but it happens at every SPT.

At that stage, once we know the balance available after all the above has been fulfilled, any "spare" seats are released for further quallies on Sky Poker.

If seats remain happen to still be available beyond the Wednesday prior to the event, they are no longer offered on Sky Poker, but are offered to the Venue, or held back for direct sale, at the Venue, on the day. This is necessary, as for technical reasons, the list HAS to be closed a few days in advance, to allow SPT Rich & Marketing Clare to check the names etc & send them to the venue for input into the Venue system. This allows the event to go smoothly on the day, & start on time.

The WORST part of SPT's, & my job, is those few days prior to the event, as everyone now clamours for seats, & write to me via this Forum, PM's, Facebook, Twitter, & phone, & I have to say, "sorry, too late" to all of them.

Moral of the story - qualify NOW!

The Brighton SPT WILL sell-out, & in advance of the day, it is a near certainty.

Good luck.
  • edited February 2012
    Here, Here!!

LOL!!

Politley enquiring about 'Special Case' qualification/certifiability, as mi Mrs says I am One!

Kiddin, am trying ma hardest to qualify, as usual!!

GL ALL!
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks for an amazingly detailed reply Tikay and filling me in on alot of stuff I didn't even realise. Just gonna have to qualify myself, I'm sure I can do it for cheaper than the £110 buy-in anyway, I just wanted to know if there was the back-up of a direct buy-in. I'll be playing the satellites every night that they're on, starting tonight so wish me luck and getting entry to my first ever SPT.... (what better reason to offer the creater of the HU championship a free seat lol)

Cheers Tikay

Paul
  • edited February 2012
    hi tk is there any tracking software u can use on sky poker and is it useful