You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ask Tikay?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay?:
    tikay  whats  the  best  way  to play  aq
    Posted by scrumdown
    That depends on so many things, & I can't give a realistic answer without knowing a number of things. There are many different answers - all of them right - because it depends on the circumstances.

Before I list some of the variables, please remember one thing - AQ - or any other hand - must never be played a set way - ever - because it depends on the variables. What is right in one case, is 100% wrong in another. So when books say "play A-Q THIS way, or THAT way", ignore them - it's complete & utter nonsense. You have to weigh up the variables, & make a decision based on them.

Understanding that concept is KEY to anyone trying to improve there game.

The variables - or some of them - are......

Position

Cash or Tourney.

Position

The Table dynamic - Passive, Aggro, Mixed.

Position

Relative stack sizes.

Position.

If in a Tourney, what stage - early, middle or late?

Position

If in a Tourney, how many Big Blinds do you have?

Position

If in a Tourney, how deep are you?

Position

6 seater Table or 10 seater Table?

And in EVERY case - has there already been a limper, or an Aggressive action? (An Aggressive action is a Raise or Re-Raise, NOT a limp).

There are other variables, too.

The short answer - taking into account all the above - is that.....

It is a great hand to RAISE with, if there has not been an aggro action already, & especially with Position.

Except in certain situations, it is NOT a good hand to Call with, almost ever.

Finally, many players play A-J, A-Q & A-K very strongly, quite right too. You must remember, though, how common these big Aces are. There are SIXTEEN ways of holding A-K, & sixteen ways of holding A-Q, ditto A-J, ditto A-10. So, if you have A-Q, there is a good chance you may run into A-K. Then you are crushed. To get this in context, there are only 6 ways of holding any Pair.

So, not much help that, was it?!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : My guess is "it depends"
    Posted by diablo_pez
    Your guess was right!
  • edited November 2009
    thanks  tikay  
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : That depends on so many things, & I can't give a realistic answer without knowing a number of things. There are many different answers - all of them right - because it depends on the circumstances. Before I list some of the variables, please remember one thing - AQ - or any other hand - must never be played a set way - ever - because it depends on the variables. What is right in one case, is 100% wrong in another. So when books say "play A-Q THIS way, or THAT way", ignore them - it's complete & utter nonsense. You have to weigh up the variables, & make a decision based on them. Understanding that concept is KEY to anyone trying to improve there game. The variables - or some of them - are...... Position Cash or Tourney. Position The Table dynamic - Passive, Aggro, Mixed. Position Relative stack sizes. Position. If in a Tourney, what stage - early, middle or late? Position If in a Tourney, how many Big Blinds do you have? Position If in a Tourney, how deep are you? Position 6 seater Table or 10 seater Table? And in EVERY case - has there already been a limper, or an Aggressive action? (An Aggressive action is a Raise or Re-Raise, NOT a limp). There are other variables, too. The short answer - taking into account all the above - is that..... It is a great hand to RAISE with, if there has not been an aggro action already, & especially with Position. Except in certain situations, it is NOT a good hand to Call with, almost ever. Finally, many players play A-J, A-Q & A-K very strongly, quite right too. You must remember, though, how common these big Aces are. There are SIXTEEN ways of holding A-K, & sixteen ways of holding A-Q, ditto A-J, ditto A-10. So, if you have A-Q, there is a good chance you may run into A-K. Then you are crushed. To get this in context, there are only 6 ways of holding any Pair. So, not much help that, was it?!
    Posted by Tikay10
    Are u simply a 'human google'???
  • edited November 2009
    Tikay,
       What is the most possible "outs" after the "turn" with any given cards?
  • edited November 2009
    tikay  whats  the  best  way  to play  aq
    Posted by scrumdown
    Many ways.... but I'm surprised nobodies mentioned 'Position' yet! ;-)

• edited November 2009
    Tikay,    What is the most possible "outs" after the "turn" with any given cards?
    Posted by efgloser
    Crikey, what a question!

I don't know, to be honest.

I had a quick think, & I came up with a 23 outer, but I'm sure there are better ones.

My first thought was something like 3-3 (both black) v A of hearts & King of Diamonds, on a Flop & turn of 9-T-T-J (3 hearts).

So the 3-3 is winning, but has to dodge......

9 hearts

3 x Aces

2 x Kings

3 x Queens

3 x 9's (assume the existjng 9 is a heart)

3 x J's (assume the existing J is a heart)

Can anyone come up with more?
  • edited November 2009
    When & where did Barry Post that? - I must have missed it, & would like to reply. It's not widely known, but I have more than a passing interest in transport matters, especially Railway locomotion, rolling stock, catenery, & permanent way.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi tikay

Lol, you will find it on page 6 3rd thread :)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Crikey, what a question! I don't know, to be honest. I had a quick think, & I came up with a 23 outer, but I'm sure there are better ones. My first thought was something like 3-3 (both black) v A of hearts & King of Diamonds, on a Flop & turn of 9-T-T-J (3 hearts). So the 3-3 is winning, but has to dodge...... 9 hearts 3 x Aces 2 x Kings 3 x Queens 3 x 9's (assume the existjng 9 is a heart) 3 x J's (assume the existing J is a heart) Can anyone come up with more?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hope this is right, but I think I can get 25

Assume opponent has 3-3 (both black)

Other player has 9 10 Hearts

Board shows 8 8 7 4 ( assume 8 and 7 of hearts)

So the pocket 3's need to dodge

8 hearts

3 6's

3 j's

3 9's

3 t's

3 7's

2 4's

Edited after BigBlusters post to take into account 3 H
  • edited November 2009
    What's happened to michelle orpe
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hope this is right, but I think I can get 26 Assume opponent has 3-3 (both black) Other player has 9 10 Hearts Board shows 8 8 J 4 ( assume 8 and j of hearts) So the pocket 3's need to dodge 9 hearts 3 7's 3 q's 3 j's 3 9's 3 t's 2 4's
    Posted by Aski
    That's a great one! And the drawing hand would still only be a very small favourite to win - 52% to 44%. (4% to chop).
  • edited November 2009
    What's happened to michelle orpe
    Posted by rab-c
    Michelle has moved on & now does EPT stuff.

Weve been fortunate to find two exceptionally good replacements in Sarah Champion, & Lisa Marie Long, both of whom play on the Site quite a lot, & have quickly become very popular with the players.

Sarah Champion will be at the Newcastle Leg of the SPT, as will D P Fitzgerald, & Lisa will be at at least one of the SPT Legs.
  • edited November 2009
    I think this is 23 - TK's above is only 22 as the 3h would make a house

8h9h v 3c3sFlop 7h6h6d8 hearts 3 tens3 fives3 eights3 nines3 sevens
  • edited November 2009
    I think this is 23 - TK's above is only 22 as the 3h would make a house 8h9h v 3c3s Flop 7h6h6d 8 hearts  3 tens 3 fives 3 eights 3 nines 3 sevens
    Posted by BigBluster
    Doh! You are quite correct.

But Aski has come up with a 26 outer now! Or should it be 25 outer?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hope this is right, but I think I can get 26 Assume opponent has 3-3 (both black) Other player has 9 10 Hearts Board shows 8 8 J 4 ( assume 8 and j of hearts) So the pocket 3's need to dodge 9 hearts 3 7's 3 q's 3 j's 3 9's 3 t's 2 4's
    Posted by Aski
    the 4s would be a split and the 3h would make a house.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : That's a great one! And the drawing hand would still only be a very small favourite to win - 52% to 44%. (4% to chop).
    Posted by Tikay10
    hmmm just done the calculation myself and I knew the drawing hand would have about 52% chance of winning, but I cant see what card could come to make it a chop, hence I dont understand why the chop is 4%

Aha ignore that post now Ive just seen BB's post and I can see the split now :)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hope this is right, but I think I can get 23 Assume opponent has 3-3 (both black) Other player has 9 10 Hearts Board shows 8 8 J 4 ( assume 8 and j of hearts) So the pocket 3's need to dodge 8 hearts 3 7's 3 q's 3 j's 3 9's 3 t's Edited after BigBlusters post to take into account 3 H makes a full house and both non heart 4's would be a split
    Posted by Aski
    The answer is 25.
    The 3h is no good since it makes a full house and beats the flush.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : The answer is 25. The 3h is no good since it makes a full house and beats the flush.
    Posted by MereNovice
    my original post the answer was in reality 23 as the 2 4's created a split pot, so Ive changed the cards now, so that it correctly reads as a 25 outer
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : The answer is 25. The 3h is no good since it makes a full house and beats the flush.
    Posted by MereNovice
    ..and as someone subsequently replied, 2 x 4's would make a split - so 23?
  • edited November 2009
    See What Are The Odds for an example of a 25 outer
  • edited November 2009

Wow, we are all struggling with this!

I blame Orford.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Ask Tikay? : Hope this is right, but I think I can get 25 Assume opponent has 3-3 (both black) Other player has 9 10 Hearts Board shows 8 8 7 4 ( assume 8 and 7 of hearts) So the pocket 3's need to dodge 8 hearts 3 6's 3 j's 3 9's 3 t's 3 7's 2 4's Edited after BigBlusters post to take into account 3 H
    Posted by Aski
    I like it Tikay, you the man  !
  • edited November 2009
    Ive changed my initial post so it reads as a true 25 outer now

bu having the board cards lower than the drawing hands pocket cards I can eliminate the split and thus get the extra 2 outs back.

Drawing hand is now 57-43 fav
  • edited November 2009
    Wow, we are all struggling with this! I blame Orford.
    Posted by Tikay10

i deserve a prize for this top question :)
  • edited November 2009
    See What Are The Odds for an example of a 25 outer
    Posted by MereNovice

Was in the middle of amending my original post so it read as a true 25 outer before I saw this post from you MereNovice, but just looked at your thread that you linked too, some nice calculations there

Aski :)
  • edited November 2009
    Tikay i once watched you win the sky open. Have you won it again since?
  • edited November 2009
    Tikay i once watched you win the sky open. Have you won it again since?
    Posted by efgloser
    Yes - but only once more. Out of 23,956,967,055 attempts, sigh.
  • edited November 2009
    Do you keep the winnings?
  • edited November 2009
    hi tikay, ive only played live poker a handful of times ,and i still get a little confused when im announcing a raise .
    if the blinds are 100/200 and im the first to raise ,im fine ,i just say raise 800 .......where im getting a little bit lost ,is if someone has raised before me ,and i want to re-raise........for instance ,if someones raised it to 800 and i want to re-raise it to 2400 ,and i say re-raise 2400 ,does that mean 2400 plus the 800 {what should i say}raise to 2400 or raise 1600 to make it 2400 .........not sure if im doing things right ty ten
  • edited November 2009
    Do you keep the winnings?
    Posted by efgloser
    When I played in the Studio, no, they went to Charity.

When I played at home, on my own Account - yes.