You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£40 to £1040 dev's DYM grind..(b/roll atm £1,069.18)...FINISHED

Comments

• edited May 2012
    thanks Daz,
    best wishes,
    :-)
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    doing great dev )

better than on my return to £5 DYM's , lost six on the bounce - may give it another go today

• edited May 2012
    cheers rancid,
    yes,u know how up & down they can be,feel sure it,s only a matter of time until they hit me.
    still enjoying it while it lasts.
    be lucky
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    Dev, imo your one of the best DYM regs at £3 and below

do u ever use sharkscope ?

also if you had to sum up your overall strategy in one sentance, what would it be ?
  • edited May 2012
    hi rancid,
    thanks m8...that means alot.
    no i,ve not got it,i,m guessing that it,s not free,?
    so no i,ve never used it.do you?
    and if so....do u find it usefull.?
    would it/could it improve my dym game?especially if i was to move up levels.

as to my strategy,
    keep it simple i guess.it,s pretty much abc poker.
    "play tight & aggressive and timing,when to go & when to fold" that,s it.!!!

could be a new one couldn,t it.....
    TAT  (tight aggressive & timing)  lol

DAY  20

DAY OFF....
    not had many,maybe 1 i think.

(*  *)
       ^

dev
  • edited May 2012

Great stuff Dev. :-)

Saw you on a few of my tables yesterday, seem to be doing fine - feel free to stay off them if u want!

I'm still 12 tabling, haven't got my 2nd monitor set up yet, but should soon - looking to have a big month in June!
  • edited May 2012
    hi Jingles,
    cheers m8,
    going well atm,not sure if it,s possible to keep it going forever.
    enjoying the ride anyway :-)
    good luck buddy hope playing the extra tables pays off.
    i,ll be interested to see how you get on.
    i,m sure u will enjoy having the extra monitor,it will make playing more tables easier.
    i use my second monitor 4 the lobby,which really makes it alot easier if i need to go there to load tables or anything else i need to know or do.
    if i ever manage to get to 13 tables or more then i will treat myself to a 3rd monitor,another 27"to go with the 1 i,m now using.
    i,m comfortable playing 9/10 atm any more & i,m making basic errors
    but i,m sure i will be able to keep on adding 1 more every so often in time.
    you never know i might catch you up?  lol
    best wishes,
    dev
  • edited May 2012

Hi dev

i have been grinding the mirco stakes of dyms done pretty well, thinking of moving up to the 2 & 3 quid stakes. Is the standard alot different? i saw u  said u play tight in early stages wud that be first two levels? thanks

• edited May 2012
    hi wardy,
    the standard is pretty much the same,it is slightly harder @ £3 level than the £2
    but not by alot.the thing u will notice though is if u have a bad session it will hurt you more
    than where u r now.but that,s fairly obvious i guess.nice when u win though.
    i,ve just moved up to the £5 level which  is slightly harder again, but the rewards increase again
    by a bigger margin,so as long as i don,t have a really bad session,makes it worth the risk.
    on the first 2 levels it,s hardly worth playing almost any hand bar aa kk or ak,as there are just not enough chips in play to win.you could throw in the odd qq & jj i guess. levels 3 & 4 i would be starting to play pairs,trying to hit a set.but even then only if i could get in cheap enough as saving chips for later is still more important.as u r only hiting a set roughly 1 in 8 times.

once u start playing aq or aj you are starting to get into risky territory,so play these hands with caution.
    another thing i would reccomend is to multi-table as this will help with variance.
    play as many tables as you can feeling comfortable and keep on adding another when u feel ready.
    hope to see you on those tables soon,
    best of luck
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    DAY  21

£5.50
           w  4  +£18.00
            l  0   -£0.00
                   --------
                   +£18.00
    £3.30
           w14  +£37.80
            l  11 -£36.30
                  ----------
                  +£1.50

won £19.50

b/roll £188.36

c4p   95
    total  2320= £27.84 to come

good night @ £5.50
    happy stopping after 4 wins.
    £3.30 bit disapointing...lost final 2 games on bubble,
    but hey,another W so no complaints

(*  *)
       "
       ^
    dev

• edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm £168.86):
    hi wardy, the standard is pretty much the same,it is slightly harder @ £3 level than the £2 but not by alot.the thing u will notice though is if u have a bad session it will hurt you more than where u r now.but that,s fairly obvious i guess.nice when u win though. i,ve just moved up to the £5 level which  is slightly harder again, but the rewards increase again by a bigger margin,so as long as i don,t have a really bad session,makes it worth the risk. on the first 2 levels it,s hardly worth playing almost any hand bar aa kk or ak,as there are just not enough chips in play to win.you could throw in the odd qq & jj i guess. levels 3 & 4 i would be starting to play pairs,trying to hit a set.but even then only if i could get in cheap enough as saving chips for later is still more important.as u r only hiting a set roughly 1 in 8 times. once u start playing aq or aj you are starting to get into risky territory,so play these hands with caution. another thing i would reccomend is to multi-table as this will help with variance. play as many tables as you can feeling comfortable and keep on adding another when u feel ready. hope to see you on those tables soon, best of luck :-) dev
    Posted by devonfish5

Hi dev

thanks for your reply on .played 5 £2.25 game won 2 lost 3 got to bubble in the 3 aswell dented my confidence shall we say. Did u start playing 30p dyms when u first played dyms? were u winning from the start or work in progress? sorry about questions dev just haven`t spoken to someone who has mastered the low stakes game before interesting. Also good luck with yr quest to £1000 on dyms. thanks

• edited May 2012
    hi wardy,
    ask as many questions as u like buddy,
    if i am able to help,only be to glad to.
    looks like u were unlucky losing 3-2 @ £2.25,s y,day losing all 3 on the bubble.
    i did say it would hurt u more if u lost didn,t i .
    yes,i did 1st start playing 30p dym,s,won more than i lost...
    didn,t play many though as i moved up to 60p same day or nxt day,can,t remember now 4 sure.
    anyway soon got to the £1 level again winning there, then £2.
    took me some time getting to £3 i can remember as i only wanted to move up once i had 100 buy-ins
    4 that level,£300.
    i am only playing the £5 level atm because of this challenge.
    i don,t know your b/roll,but if u r moving up to £2 and thinking about playing £3 too,
    i would say u need a minimum of 20/30 buy-ins ie;£60-£90.
    anyway,
    good luck m8,
    i,m sure u can do it.!!!
    dev
    ps,
    have you read john connors " the abc of dym,s" blog?
    if not,find it & read it,i,m sure it will help you.
  • edited May 2012
    DAY  22

£5.50
           w  5  +£22.50
            l   2  -£11.00
                  ----------
                   +£ 11.50
    £3.30
           w  12  +£32.40
            l   6   -£19.80
                   ----------
                    +£12.60

won  £24.10

b.roll  £212.46 (+£171.75)

c4p   89
    total  2409= £28.91 to come

another good night,
    winning @ both levels feels nice.
    nearly at the next level £5 & £11
    only £8 needed.

(*  *)
       "
       ^

dev
  • edited May 2012
    The £200 barrier cracked, well pleased for you Devon, keep it going, never mind John Connor DYM Diary, think he has created a monster here ;)
  • edited May 2012
    hi Oop,
    cheers buddy,
    yes £200 after 22 days...
    can,t quite believe it myself really.
    you could be right about monster?which one as a matter of interest?
    maybe a machine...possibly?
    is it the T101 in terminator?
    i could be a DYM 109 or something.   lol
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    hi devon m8 really chuffed for you getting to the £200 mark :) you say you might have a go at the £11 ones ive had a go at a few of these and there much harder not so much the players as i found them a lot worse to be honest than the £5 ones for the reason which really amazed me is that players call with just about anything especialy rag As and ufortunately they have been hitting there a lot more agressive which i know you want but its still nasty. I managed to get a couple back maybe just having a bad run on them i dont know but they really do hurt your br if you only got £200 im prob going to wait till im about the £500 mark

heres my stats for the £11 ones and although i played well i just got unlucky so went back to £5 games and bump it up nicely. Not saying dont do it yet just think about it or try a couple and if it goes pete tong go back to £5 ones gl with what you do though and keep up the good work :)

11 dymw 5 L10 profit £-65
  • edited May 2012
    hi Daz,
    thank you for the imfo.
    i wouldn,t normally move up a level until i had 100 buy-ins
    so really i should have £1100 in my b/roll b4 i attempt £11.

but as this is simply a challenge to try and get to £1000 asap within reason,
    i mean i don,t want to still be hear still  trying in 9 months time say.
    i have laid out my plan at the beginning so i am determined to at least try and stick with it.
    i will only be playing 1 table @ £11 to start off with as i did when i moved up to £5.
    then depending on how i feel after that game go from there.
    if at the end of the session i drop below £220(20 buy-insx£11)
    then i will drop back down to £3 & £5 again,so i really can,t lose.
    that,s the great thing about this mission....
    it,s very nearly fail-proof.!!!
    be lucky,

(*  *)
       "
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    yea sounds similar to my plan if it goes wrong when you go up a level drop back grind till you were where you were at then have another bash at it, you dont lose anything then :) if i just stuck to £5dym id be well up on my br but i use what i win to play mtts, i may just leave mtts for a couple of days and just do the dym see how i get on, but at least im getting the buy ins for the mtts for free to an extent.
  • edited May 2012
    hi again daz,
    yes,sounds like how you do things workd well 4 u.
    do you also find by mixing up what u play stops u getting bored or maybe bogged down abit?
    i,ve never really attempted playing mtts and not even to sure what they are?
    i,m guessing they are just mini tournaments with a set prize fund.?
    also i don,t think i.d like the low win rate or cash rate which i believe goes with them?
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm £212.46):
    hi again daz, yes,sounds like how you do things workd well 4 u. do you also find by mixing up what u play stops u getting bored or maybe bogged down abit? i,ve never really attempted playing mtts and not even to sure what they are? i,m guessing they are just mini tournaments with a set prize fund.? also i don,t think i.d like the low win rate or cash rate which i believe goes with them? :-) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    yea i like mixing it up quite a bit, mtts are multi table tornyments and the prize funds if you can take one down are big for your buy in. If say you play a £1 or £2 rebuy mtt you can win between £30-60 if you play in the bigger ring games like the mini for £3 you can cash for upto about £300 so ROI is very good, the only thing with them is ovb there is a lot more varience and you have to beat a lot of players so you cant expect to cash at every game. But they def are worth a look at devonfish and if you win one in a day your br will be boosted tenfold. Try out a few of the low end stakes mtts and see if you like them thats why my br is where it is.
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm £212.46):
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm £212.46) : yea i like mixing it up quite a bit, mtts are multi table tornyments and the prize funds if you can take one down are big for your buy in. If say you play a £1 or £2 rebuy mtt you can win between £30-60 if you play in the bigger ring games like the mini for £3 you can cash for upto about £300 so ROI is very good, the only thing with them is ovb there is a lot more varience and you have to beat a lot of players so you cant expect to cash at every game. But they def are worth a look at devonfish and if you win one in a day your br will be boosted tenfold. Try out a few of the low end stakes mtts and see if you like them thats why my br is where it is.
    Posted by Dazler
    Totally agree with Daz (as usual).
    Was getting a little bored with DYM's hence my recent venture into the world of MTT's.
    With my £90 win on Monday it does wonders for your confidence and of course your B/R ! :-)
    Give it go Dev , load one up whilst you're grinding DYM's.
    Mick
  • edited May 2012
    Hey Dev,

Superb progress mate, have been following throughout. Really exciting time for you at the minute, just about to move up stakes so obviously I hope you get some run good to get off to a flying start with that. Also, your C4P is already very noticable and this is about to get even better when you move up! Happy days eh?

Keep up the great work mate, both on the tables and on this thread. You're a real inspiration for a lower stakes player looking to make some speedy progress.

JC
  • edited May 2012
    hi Daz,
    thank you 4 your reply.
    i,ll think about giving them a go then.
    not sure if i should play them atm with my dym challenge in full swing.
    i,ll maybe wait untill my mission is over.
    i might even start up a new challenge simply playing some form of mtts,you never know with me.!!!

hi Mick,
    congrats on your £90 win m8.
    "must be nice"
    i will be trying them...1 day.!!!

hi JC,
    thanks m8  for your very nice words.
    yes exciting and also a little nervous maybe.
    i know how important it will be to run well at the start.
    i just hope i can carry on playing my normal game & not let the ammounts involved affect my game.
    yes,as u say c4p are going up quite nicely,only problem i am finding is if i get off to a good start at the higher level,i am reluctant to carry on playing those games as i think it is more important to try and get a win from them
    rather than i guess trying to win more and then run the risk of losing a certain win.
    did you ever encounter this yourself? or is it just me?
    should i in your opinion,carry on with caution,which is working quite well i think,
    or should i really "open up and just go flat-out and try and take this down asap?"
    or would that simply be too risky and possibly reckless/foolish?
    alot of questions m8...
    all advice would be very welcome,especially at this very important stage of my mission
    thanks JC.
    dev

• edited May 2012
    hi Daz, thank you 4 your reply. i,ll think about giving them a go then. not sure if i should play them atm with my dym challenge in full swing. i,ll maybe wait untill my mission is over. i might even start up a new challenge simply playing some form of mtts,you never know with me.!!! hi Mick, congrats on your £90 win m8. "must be nice" i will be trying them...1 day.!!! hi JC, thanks m8  for your very nice words. yes exciting and also a little nervous maybe. i know how important it will be to run well at the start. i just hope i can carry on playing my normal game & not let the ammounts involved affect my game. yes,as u say c4p are going up quite nicely,only problem i am finding is if i get off to a good start at the higher level,i am reluctant to carry on playing those games as i think it is more important to try and get a win from them rather than i guess trying to win more and then run the risk of losing a certain win. did you ever encounter this yourself?or is it just me? should i in your opinion,carry on with caution,which is working quite well i think, or should i really "open up and just go flat-out and try and take this down asap?" or would that simply be too risky and possibly reckless/foolish? alot of questions m8... all advice would be very welcome,especially at this very important stage of my mission thanks JC. :-) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Hey dev,

Yes I have encountered this myself, in fact it's quite common and is known as trying to "book a win". It can occur for lots of reasons (most often during periods of run bad). I experienced it once, exactly the same as you have here, when I was moving up levels. I think it's probably the constant strive for progress instead of fallback (particularly when you have a forum thread with interested followers to update as you have/I did) that causes it in this case.

As I'm sure you will already have figured out, deep down, there's no rational/logical justification for trying to "book a win". The games are either profitable for you or they aren't, it's as simple as that really. You have already proven the games are profitable for you, what I mean here specifically is: the tables aren't full of tough regs, you're not too tired to play etc etc. You should really make your decision whether to go on playing a session or not on factors like these rather than how much you're up or down. The swings will happen when they happen mate there's little point in us as players trying to manipulate them.

The above is easier said than done sometimes I know :-)

Keep up the good work dev anyway, will look forward to the next instalments . . .

JC
  • edited May 2012
    More wise words from JC.
    Keep it up Dev - you know you have the ability !!
  • edited May 2012
    thanks JC,
    i was thinking that you possibly had experienced this yourself at some point in your challenge.
    would i be right here that it was when you were batteling with the £22,s?
    about to get todays session underway,hopefully if i can get the £8 i need will be starting the £11,s tomorrow.....
    aaaaaaagh.!!!
    best wishes,
    dev

thanks MICK,
    yes,JC certainly knows his stuff,doesn,t he.!!!
    that,s why he,s the MASTER and i,m just the APPRENTICE.!!!.   lol

good luck yourself m8.
    dev
  • edited May 2012
    thanks JC, i was thinking that you possibly had experienced this yourself at some point in your challenge. would i be right here that it was when you were batteling with the £22,s? about to get todays session underway,hopefully if i can get the £8 i need will be starting the £11,s tomorrow..... aaaaaaagh.!!! best wishes, :-) dev thanks MICK, yes,JC certainly knows his stuff,doesn,t he.!!! that,s why he,s the MASTER and i,m just the APPRENTICE.!!!.   lol good luck yourself m8. :-) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    May the force be with you !
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to Re: £40 to £1000 dev,s DYM...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE (b/roll atm £188.36):
    hi wardy, ask as many questions as u like buddy, if i am able to help,only be to glad to. looks like u were unlucky losing 3-2 @ £2.25,s y,day losing all 3 on the bubble. i did say it would hurt u more if u lost didn,t i . yes,i did 1st start playing 30p dym,s,won more than i lost... didn,t play many though as i moved up to 60p same day or nxt day,can,t remember now 4 sure. anyway soon got to the £1 level again winning there, then £2. took me some time getting to £3 i can remember as i only wanted to move up once i had 100 buy-ins 4 that level,£300. i am only playing the £5 level atm because of this challenge. i don,t know your b/roll,but if u r moving up to £2 and thinking about playing £3 too, i would say u need a minimum of 20/30 buy-ins ie;£60-£90. anyway, good luck m8, i,m sure u can do it.!!! :-) dev ps, have you read john connors " the abc of dym,s" blog? if not,find it & read it,i,m sure it will help you.
    Posted by devonfish5
    Yes m8 found it very helpful. My downfall last couple of days was hero calling alot get inpatient at times when im short stacked. Keep up gd work bud! 
  • edited May 2012
    thanks again Mick
    dev

hi wardy,
    calling is usually your worst option,better to either fold or re-raise i think.
    impatience...not good,
    turn that into patience asap.
    it all takes time & practise m8...
    we,ve all been there.!!!
    good luck,
    dev

DAY  23

£5.50
           w  4  +£18.00
           l   5  -£27.50
                  ----------
                  -£9.50
    £3.30
           w 16  +£43.20
            l  5   -£16.50
                   ---------
                  +£26.70

won  £17.20

b/roll  £229.66 (+£188.95)

c4p   108
    total  2517=£30.20 to come

not happy with £5,s results
    but i guess £3,s make up 4 it.
    got the £8 i needed anyway to have a crack at the £11,s tomorrow.

all 4 now,

(*  *)
       "
       ^
    dev

• edited May 2012
    Wiiiii, GL tomorrow (today!) dev in the £11s! Thursday night hopefully won't be a bad night to move up for you.

When I started getting urges to lock up/book wins was actually when I moved up to the £11s during my challenge, believe it or not. Pretty weird since I had played all the higher levels for some time previously. As I say, I think having a progress thread adds a bit of pressure, we must like a challenge lol.

But yes, I certainly had a torrid time for a good while in the £22s lol. I seem to remember losing ~£200 and winning it back in about 2 days at one point when my 'roll was only about £600! Scary stuff lol.

Run good mate,
    JC