You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Real life.Hard times,they are over.

real life sure does suck m8 nice post my grandad passed away 2 years ago and my nan :( and my dad had a stroke and is really ill been  in a nursing home for over 2 years now  i suffer with depression alot from this as it feels like some 1 has ripped my guts out the last few years have been hard so try n find something i enjoy and poker is that i used to let it get to me like u when i lose get tilted but now i think its just a game put a deposit on now n then and not fussed if i lose i enjoy the game so i will carry on playing it tbh it blocks out all the stuff in my head when i play if i do nothing i am thinking all the time and get down where as when i play poker my mind is active at end of day its only money real life n family is far more important i never opened up before on the forums but reading this has made me feel why not if u ever need a chat paul pm me and good luck at the tables 1 day i will be happy in life poker just takes the edge away from reality life 

Comments

• edited May 2015
    Hi folks.Over the past few months or so I've tried to improve my game with a few successes and failures along the way.Recently I've been on somewhat of a downward spiral results wise and I've took it bad on occasion.However I've decided to cut the feeling sorry for myself because theres a possibility my kid might be autistic and however much I get angry over a bad beat,it means nowt compared to real life.Apologies folks if this is of no interest,but I just want to say the game is just that,a game.Enjoy life and try to enjoy the game.
    P.s. I have wrote this with a beverage or 2 in me.
    Paul.aka bignoise10
  • edited June 2012
    Hi Paul,

Really nice post.  While I understand that poker can be frustating at times, I will never ever understand the mentality of the people who spend their entire lives on forums/groups moaning about things.  It's like they get a kick out of it!  Sometimes when you see these kind of pages you think WOW....then you realise that of all the people who play poker on this site, and in the UK in general, these kinds of views are quite rare and they are definatly in VAST minority of players.  The VAST majority of players enjoy the game and take the beats and the variance of the game like grown ups.

If the worst thing that happens to you in a day is that you lose with KK v Ax or get aces cracked....well then you are running pretty amazing compared to the average person on planet Earth

Hope everything with your child goes ok, and the your local health authority gives you as much support as possible..... and keep enjoying your poker and playing it how it's meant to be played!

If you are playing the Super Roller on Sunday, or manage to qualify, drop an email in the show thread and I'll ask for someone to keep an eye on your hands?

Take care,
    Ryan
  • edited June 2012
    +1 to OP, and to everything that Scotty said.

Bad beats happen in real life, too. Yeah, it sucks when you get your money in as a massive favourite and the other person wins, but far worse things happen in the real world than getting a bad beat in Poker.

Personally, having spent five years of my childhood watching my terminally ill mother slowly dying in front of me, I can't think of anything more unfortunate for someone than seeing them getting angry at people for making bad calls and getting lucky, or getting upset and blaming Sky when they run their Kings into Aces, because it makes you fear for how that person is going to cope when real life kicks them in the balls. If getting all of my money in with Pocket Aces and losing to a set of threes on the river is the worst thing that happens to me all day, I'd be pretty happy with that.

When I was watching the channel and learning the game, I remember hearing Tikay say on the live show a few times about how people deal with beats in Poker shows what sort of a character they are outside of Poker. There's definitely some truth in that statement - For people who visit the Poker Clinic section, you see in there sometimes, some people's first post on the Sky Poker forum is "OMG Sky is a load of rigged &%^$ some idiot got all his money in with 74o and beat my AK". I click the ignore user button and hope that I never meet that person in real life :')
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Real life!:
    Hi folks.Over the past few months or so I've tried to improve my game with a few successes and failures along the way.Recently I've been on somewhat of a downward spiral results wise and I've took it bad on occasion.However I've decided to cut the feeling sorry for myself because theres a possibility my kid might be autistic and however much I get angry over a bad beat,it means nowt compared to real life.Apologies folks if this is of no interest,but I just want to say the game is just that,a game.Enjoy life and try to enjoy the game. P.s. I have wrote this with a beverage or 2 in me. Paul.aka bignoise10
    Posted by bignoise10
    Hi Paul,

Good for you writing this, and I don't see why you have to think it neccessary to apologise for having a couple of drinks before writing what you have. I really hope that when you say about your kid "there is a possibility", that it proves not to be the case.

I have been writing a lot on this forum as I am unable to work due to health issues and I have made poker a large part of my life, personally I find it a wonderful distraction from everyday problems. I hope that my diary reflects my love for poker (which at times seems more than a game) When you find yourself beaten by 74off v your AA then just type in the chatbox "Nice catch" or "that was a bit lucky :-)" 

Just remember Paul that in life as in poker, you can only play the cards that you are dealt and its how you play those cards that counts. If you play it right then be happy, it might not always end up the way you would like. But hey, thats poker.

For me I also find that if I am well bankrolled for the level I am playing at then any "bad beats" are easier to shrug off, I think you will find that a lot of the ill mannered people who play poker are playing with money they can't afford to lose. Sometimes poker is more than "just a game".

Enjoy your poker Paul, and be lucky.

Mike   
  • edited June 2012
    All the best to you and your family mate , hope all goes well and enjoy ure poker , very nice post mate
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life!:
    Hi Paul, Really nice post.  While I understand that poker can be frustating at times, I will never ever understand the mentality of the people who spend their entire lives on forums/groups moaning about things.  It's like they get a kick out of it!  Sometimes when you see these kind of pages you think WOW....then you realise that of all the people who play poker on this site, and in the UK in general, these kinds of views are quite rare and they are definatly in VAST minority of players.  The VAST majority of players enjoy the game and take the beats and the variance of the game like grown ups. If the worst thing that happens to you in a day is that you lose with KK v Ax or get aces cracked....well then you are running pretty amazing compared to the average person on planet Earth Hope everything with your child goes ok, and the your local health authority gives you as much support as possible..... and keep enjoying your poker and playing it how it's meant to be played! If you are playing the Super Roller on Sunday, or manage to qualify, drop an email in the show thread and I'll ask for someone to keep an eye on your hands? Take care, Ryan
    Posted by scotty77
    + 1 Ryan!!

& Good luck Paul!!

I Have had a good think about a few things overnite, and decided speak out over a few things i've been uncomfortable with, [this not place], BUT,  life is too short & can be difficult, but challenges are present so we have to deal with them!!!!

All on this thread have spoken honestly & passionately!!

I do wish you Paul & ALL WELL, & hope you cope & overcome lifes challenges which differ for us ALL!!

Run Golden too!!

The Hitman
  • edited June 2012
    Thx for all the responses folks so far.I understand that we all have issues that affect our day to day lives.Some of the posts on this thread alone make you wonder how you can deal with it.I,m the first to admit I've moaned a lot when things havent gone my way.But the realisation of what might be ahead of me with regards my son has made me do a u turn and try to grasp whats really important.I also realise that should the worst case scenario play out,its something that can be dealt unlike many illnesses.I think thats more why I started this thread.No matter how bad a day you or I have at the tables,its not really that big of a deal,is it?Anyway,my kid starts speech therapy as part of finding out what might be wrong in a couple of weeks.Hopefully things will progress quicker after that.Again thanks for tellin me your stories guys and if we meet at the tables,I'll be sure to say hello.
    Paul
  • edited June 2012

Hi Paul.

I'm very sorry to hear that, but I'm sure everything will work out fine.

Please remember also that autistic children, & adults, live very enjoyable & contented lives. Certainly, they are disadvantaged, but I'm not sure that affects their own happiness, though it is difficult for family & friends to deal with, & cope with.

Autism also comes in varying degrees of severity.

Having suffered mental health issues myself in my early life, I'm incredibly sympathetic to these situations, but it seems to me you will handle it just fine. Everything worked out fine for me, & I'm sure it will for your Son.

• edited June 2012
    Thx for all the responses folks so far.I understand that we all have issues that affect our day to day lives.Some of the posts on this thread alone make you wonder how you can deal with it.I,m the first to admit I've moaned a lot when things havent gone my way.But the realisation of what might be ahead of me with regards my son has made me do a u turn and try to grasp whats really important.I also realise that should the worst case scenario play out,its something that can be dealt unlike many illnesses.I think thats more why I started this thread.No matter how bad a day you or I have at the tables,its not really that big of a deal,is it?Anyway,my kid starts speech therapy as part of finding out what might be wrong in a couple of weeks.Hopefully things will progress quicker after that.Again thanks for tellin me your stories guys and if we meet at the tables,I'll be sure to say hello. Paul
    Posted by bignoise10
    Wonderful post, the character will get you through this Paul.

Please keep us informed, & let us know how his speech therapy goes.

I'll tell you two "dark humour" stories about these sort of things. Both of them are sort of "against myself", so please don't take offence.
  • edited June 2012

As a child, I had some "issues". Quite a lot of them, in fact.

One of them was an absolutely dreadful stammer. I just could not construct even the shortest sentence without minutes of stammering.

You may not know this, but most children who stammer can overcome the stammer by singing the words. Strange, but true. Not all cases, obviously, but most.

So, I'm in school, & in those days (it was a while back....) children could not leave the classroom without first standing up, raising their arm, & seeking permission from the teacher. Times were different then, eh?

Anyway, when I was at school, "in class", & I needed to visit the toilet, that was the drill. Stand up, ask permission, da de da.

So I'd stand up, hand raised.

"Yes Anthony, what do you want?" would say the teacher.

And I could not say it. It was just "ppp-p--please m-mm-m-iss" sort of thing.

So she would say "sing it Anthony, sing it".

And I would. And it worked, every time.

And THAT was how this rather bizarre little clip arose, last year. Because this was EXACTLY how it went.

True story. You can't make these things up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO13cAmcQTY
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : Wonderful post, the character will get you through this Paul. Please keep us informed, & let us know how his speech therapy goes. I'll tell you two "dark humour" stories about these sort of things. Both of them are sort of "against myself", so please don't take offence.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Appreciate the post tikay.Absolutely,autism comes in varying degrees of severity and I'm sure that my kid will turn out just fine whatever the outcome.He has a great family unit for support and who knows he might just be a genius in the making lol.Again all responses are appreciated and I'll be sure to keep you all informed as using these forums can sometimes be better than face to face as I'm not the greatest talker in the world!
    Good luck.
    Paul

• edited June 2012
    As a child, I had some "issues". Quite a lot of them, in fact. One of them was an absolutely dreadful stammer. I just could not construct even the shortest sentence without minutes of stammering. You may not know this, but most children who stammer can overcome the stammer by singing the words. Strange, but true. Not all cases, obviously, but most. So, I'm in school, & in those days (it was a while back....) children could not leave the classroom without first standing up, raising their arm, & seeking permission from the teacher. Times were different then, eh? Anyway, when I was at school, "in class", & I needed to visit the toilet, that was the drill. Stand up, ask permission, da de da. So I'd stand up, hand raised. " Yes Anthony, what do you want ?" would say the teacher. And I could not say it. It was just "ppp-p--please m-mm-m-iss" sort of thing. So she would say " sing it Anthony, sing it ".   And I would. And it worked, every time. And THAT was how this rather bizarre little clip arose, last year. Because this was EXACTLY how it went. True story. You can't make these things up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO13cAmcQTY
    Posted by Tikay10
    Nice story tikay and nice vid.

• edited June 2012

@TK - lol at video  I rem the outtake from last year.
    @Paul - Nice OP.  I hope things work out ok, I'm sure they will.
    @everyone -"And remember folks LIFE is what happens when you're planning something else!"  (John Lennon)

• edited June 2012

I was invited to join a Golf Club about 15 years ago. Golf is incredibly snobbish & elitist, so you had to go through the hoop to get accepted.

One ritual was a round of Golf with the Club Chairman, who would assess your character & suitability.

So I go for the round of golf with the Club Chairman, a man called Bill Jepson. I shined my shoes, ironed my golf shirt, best behaviour, no swearing, watch my p's & q's, "oh my, good shot Sir", you got the picture?

The great thing with golf with a good partner is that it gives you 4 or 5 hours to chat with the other guy. I was hopeless at golf, but I loved it, because of this, just getting inside people's character. There was none of the peurile name calling stuff you see from one or two in poker, people just chilled. Lovely.

So we are strolling up the 6th or 7th or whatever, & it's all going wonderfully.

I enquire about his family, just small talk, making convo.

"You got children, Bill?"

"Yes, a lad".

"Lovely, how old??

"23"

"What does he do?"

"Nothing really, he's artistic you see".

"Fantastic, how wonderful, in what way, painting, music?"

"Pardon?"

"In what way is he artistic, painting, music, drawing?"

"No, I said he is AUTISTIC, not artistic".

"Ohh, umm, err.....your shot, I believe"......

He forgave me, & we became very close friends.

Have a great weekend Paul, & look after that lad. You are very important to him.

Incidentally, there are several "Dads" on here, regular Forum users, who have children with special needs. My admiration for them all is immense, they seem to carry the load with such bravery.
  • edited June 2012
    Nice thread.  Everyone should read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
  • edited June 2012
    I was invited to join a Golf Club about 15 years ago. Golf is incredibly snobbish & elitist, so you had to go through the hoop to get accepted. One ritual was a round of Golf with the Club Chairman, who would assess your character & suitability. So I go for the round of golf with the Club Chairman, a man called Bill Jepson. I shined my shoes, ironed my golf shirt, best behaviour, no swearing, watch my p's & q's, "oh my, good shot Sir", you got the picture? The great thing with golf with a good partner is that it gives you 4 or 5 hours to chat with the other guy. I was hopeless at golf, but I loved it, because of this, just getting inside people's character. There was none of the peurile name calling stuff you see from one or two in poker, people just chilled. Lovely. So we are strolling up the 6th or 7th or whatever, & it's all going wonderfully.   I enquire about his family, just small talk, making convo. "You got children, Bill?" "Yes, a lad". " Lovely, how old?? "23" "What does he do?" "Nothing really, he's artistic you see". "Fantastic, how wonderful, in what way, painting, music?" "Pardon?" "In what way is he artistic, painting, music, drawing?" "No, I said he is AUTISTIC, not artistic". "Ohh, umm, err.....your shot, I believe"...... He forgave me, & we became very close friends. Have a great weekend Paul, & look after that lad. You are very important to him. Incidentally, there are several "Dads" on here, regular Forum users, who have children with special needs. My admiration for them all is immense, they seem to carry the load with such bravery.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers tikay,will do.Thanks for taking time out to reply.
    Paul
  • edited June 2012
    best wishes Paul,
    to you and all your family,
    hope the poker goes well too.

i live with my brother and he has a special needs boy,13 y,day actually.
    he is such a lovely boy,always polite,always says thank you.
    he also comes out with the funniest sayings too and is a real pleasure to be around,
    and it goes without saying we all love him 2 bits.
    if "your boy" turns out to be anywhere near as nice,i,m sure you will be fullfilled and proud to be able to call him
    "my son".
    :-)
    ian
  • edited June 2012
    best wishes Paul, to you and all your family, hope the poker goes well too. i live with my brother and he has a special needs boy,13 y,day actually. he is such a lovely boy,always polite,always says thank you. he also comes out with the funniest sayings too and is a real pleasure to be around, and it goes without saying we all love him 2 bits. if "your boy" turns out to be anywhere near as nice,i,m sure you will be fullfilled and proud to be able to call him "my son". :-) ian
    Posted by devonfish5
    Thanks a lot for the post ian.Always be proud to call him my son m8.Hope things stay good for you and your family.
    Be lucky.
    Paul
  • edited June 2012
    cheers buddy,
    :-)
    ian
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Real life!:
    Hi folks.Over the past few months or so I've tried to improve my game with a few successes and failures along the way.Recently I've been on somewhat of a downward spiral results wise and I've took it bad on occasion.However I've decided to cut the feeling sorry for myself because theres a possibility my kid might be autistic and however much I get angry over a bad beat,it means nowt compared to real life.Apologies folks if this is of no interest,but I just want to say the game is just that,a game.Enjoy life and try to enjoy the game. P.s. I have wrote this with a beverage or 2 in me. Paul.aka bignoise10
    Posted by bignoise10
    A really nice post.

As a kid i was diagnosed with Aspegers Syndrome a minor form of Autism. I think theres more help avalible now but certainly growing up i think i never got the help i needed. As i said i believe this has changed now and more people know how to deal with "problem" kids with disabilites.*

* I say "problem" kids as this is how i was often refered to.

As you said there is far more to life than poker and if the worst that happens is a couple of bad beats we're running good in the real world.

I wish you and your family all the best.
  • edited June 2012
    hi ya big noise i recieved ya e-mail thanks for taking time to read my message on here i fond everyday a struggle well i sent u a pm m8 u will read on there as i dont wnat t put on here as it may upset viewers 
  • edited June 2012
    hi ya big noise i recieved ya e-mail thanks for taking time to read my message on here i fond everyday a struggle well i sent u a pm m8 u will read on there as i dont wnat t put on here as it may upset viewers 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Strange sometimes how you dont realise how you can prejudge someone. I am one of those who gets a sore head when I read the long unpunctuated sentences you can post up IDONK ;).
    Little did I know that this place is like a pressure release for you and as you said, for a short time, can avert your attention from the parts of reality that affect or upset you.
    I too have friends and family with physical and mental issues and it can be exhausting and frustrating.
    I respect your decision to post about your issues on here, as well as the OP and others and will look to stop being quite so judgemental in future.
    Take Care of yourselves, remember, its just a game.....
  • edited June 2012
    thanks ooopnorth i used to be a really bubbly guy but last few years have been nitemare dnt wish my own worst enemy to have been what i have gone through i know we all have are problems i found it hard to geta  job because of self confident issues been out of work for few years now  get down alot i know my dad wouldnt want me to be upset it is hard tho when i see him in nursing home he doesnt recognize who i am i understand its hes illness and gotta accept he will never get better if i had a wish it wouldnt be winning the lottery or winning wsop would be for my dad to know who i am and for him to get better no money compares to the love i have for my dad 
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Real life! : A really nice post. As a kid i was diagnosed with Aspegers Syndrome a minor form of Autism. I think theres more help avalible now but certainly growing up i think i never got the help i needed. As i said i believe this has changed now and more people know how to deal with "problem" kids with disabilites.* * I say "problem" kids as this is how i was often refered to. As you said there is far more to life than poker and if the worst that happens is a couple of bad beats we're running good in the real world. I wish you and your family all the best.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Appreciate the post Don.Alls not lost if my wee man has autism.I've a few mates with autistic kids and they function really well in the real world.Again,cheers for the response m8.
    Paul.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : Appreciate the post Don.Alls not lost if my wee man has autism.I've a few mates with autistic kids and they function really well in the real world.Again,cheers for the response m8. Paul.
    Posted by bignoise10
    Yeah i was invited to groups with kids that where far worse off than me im still mates with one or two of them now, Although often mis-understood they have done well from what many expected them to years ago. One thing i brought up was lack of help for kids with disabilites. The most amount of help i was given was write all the "what if" questions i could think of. Now thats not much help, it was just because teachers where sick of my curiousity by asking "what if i did this" or "what if this happened". I ended up assisting teachers in the learning support departments during my study periods and i found this to be very rewarding. I also believe i was able to help the teachers understand because pupils spoke to me about problems more because i was still one of them.

This is just my story and i know its boring but in sharing my experiances but i believe fully that everyone has great potential. Unlocking that is the key. Disabilities only appear as a barrier, but they do not stop.

Even if the wee man does have Autism please dont see it as a bad thing. It has some major advantages, inparticular in an educational sense.
  • edited June 2012
    Some lovely posts here. Like you Paul my son is 'possibly' autistic.  He is 4 and a half with the speech and communication of a 2 year old.  His diagnosis so far is learning difficulties and a communication disorder. 

I'm hoping once he starts special school in Aug and starts seeing more specialists we will get answers with regards to autism.  At the moment he is in mainstream nursery with 2 support assistants and he sees the speech therapist once a week.  He really has came on brilliantly!!  His speech and communication is still very delayed for his age but he is the happiest wee boy (when his routine isn't interrupted!!) and he has the most amazing memory, he never fails to amaze when he can recite upcoming lines in a cartoon months after last seeing it.

I hope all goes well with your son the speech therapists really are amazing. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!!

Good luck, Lisa x
  • edited June 2012
    Some lovely posts here. Like you Paul my son is 'possibly' autistic.  He is 4 and a half with the speech and communication of a 2 year old.  His diagnosis so far is learning difficulties and a communication disorder.  I'm hoping once he starts special school in Aug and starts seeing more specialists we will get answers with regards to autism.  At the moment he is in mainstream nursery with 2 support assistants and he sees the speech therapist once a week.  He really has came on brilliantly!!  His speech and communication is still very delayed for his age but he is the happiest wee boy (when his routine isn't interrupted!!) and he has the most amazing memory, he never fails to amaze when he can recite upcoming lines in a cartoon months after last seeing it. I hope all goes well with your son the speech therapists really are amazing. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions!! Good luck, Lisa x
    Posted by lisar83
    Whether it goes the way my wife and I would like or not dosent really matter.It'll just be another wee hurdle to get over.Deffo not the end of the world.Everythings about perspective really,isnt it?Nice to see theres folk on the forum givin up a few minutes of their time to comment.Everyones story gives meanin to my opening post.Pokers there to be enjoyed and more important issues exist away from the game.Hope everything goes well with your wee man also.Be lucky.
    Paul
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : Yeah i was invited to groups with kids that where far worse off than me im still mates with one or two of them now, Although often mis-understood they have done well from what many expected them to years ago. One thing i brought up was lack of help for kids with disabilites. The most amount of help i was given was write all the "what if" questions i could think of. Now thats not much help, it was just because teachers where sick of my curiousity by asking "what if i did this" or "what if this happened". I ended up assisting teachers in the learning support departments during my study periods and i found this to be very rewarding. I also believe i was able to help the teachers understand because pupils spoke to me about problems more because i was still one of them. This is just my story and i know its boring but in sharing my experiances but i believe fully that everyone has great potential. Unlocking that is the key. Disabilities only appear as a barrier, but they do not stop. Even if the wee man does have Autism please dont see it as a bad thing. It has some major advantages, inparticular in an educational sense.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Deffo woudnt see it as a disadvantage m8.Just somethin different.He aint ill so thats the main thing.Thx for postin and enjoy your poker man.
    Paul

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : Whether it goes the way my wife and I would like or not dosent really matter.It'll just be another wee hurdle to get over.Deffo not the end of the world.Everythings about perspective really,isnt it?Nice to see theres folk on the forum givin up a few minutes of their time to comment.Everyones story gives meanin to my opening post.Pokers there to be enjoyed and more important issues exist away from the game.Hope everything goes well with your wee man also.Be lucky. Paul
    Posted by bignoise10

Exactly the right attitude to have.  I will admit to shedding a few tears when I found out, but once I got that out my system I felt happy to be getting the help that he needs!!  Like you say it's just another wee hurdle to overcome.  Please keep us posted about speech therapy etc would love to hear how he is getting on.

Lisa
  • edited June 2012
    I worked with kids with learning difficulties - especially Autistic Spectrum Disorder - for about 12 years. Absolutely loved it.

For me, this is the key - learning DIFFICULTIES, not learning IMPOSSIBILITES.

And the sense of achievement that both you and the young person get when something is "learnt" could never be replicated by winning the WSOP itself.

Enjoy your future

Mike