You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Real life.Hard times,they are over.

Comments

• edited June 2012

I don't really talk about this at all but because of the contributions in this thread i thought i would write.  One story that I have only told to half a dozen people privately before is a trivial anecdote but it had huge meaning for me and it all happened so quickly.  I feel that you might understand. 

I was once asked, maybe when my son George was about 10 (he is now 25) what would I wish for if I had three wishes. I replied that I wish that George didn't have Down's Syndrome. My second wish, after a wee bit of thinking, was something like having lots of money.  My third wish came to me immediately after, and that was to totally undo my first wish.

How fantastic is that?

Rob.

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life!:
    I don't really talk about this at all but because of the contributions in this thread i thought i would write.  One story that I have only told to half a dozen people privately before is a trivial anecdote but it had huge meaning for me and it all happened so quickly.   I feel that you might understand.  I was once asked, maybe when my son George was about 10 (he is now 25) what would I wish for if I had three wishes. I replied that I wish that George didn't have Down's Syndrome. My second wish, after a wee bit of thinking, was something like having lots of money.  My third wish came to me immediately after, and that was to totally undo my first wish. How fantastic is that? Rob.  
    Posted by aussie09
    Genius
  • edited June 2012
    I don't really talk about this at all but because of the contributions in this thread i thought i would write.  One story that I have only told to half a dozen people privately before is a trivial anecdote but it had huge meaning for me and it all happened so quickly.   I feel that you might understand.  I was once asked, maybe when my son George was about 10 (he is now 25) what would I wish for if I had three wishes. I replied that I wish that George didn't have Down's Syndrome. My second wish, after a wee bit of thinking, was something like having lots of money.  My third wish came to me immediately after, and that was to totally undo my first wish. How fantastic is that? Rob.  
    Posted by aussie09
    Quality m8.Thx for sharin.
    Paul.
  • edited June 2012
    Some of the people who have made certain comments about Idonkcallu on other threads should read what he posted on here about his troubles and maybe they would change their view. It just shows that we shouldn't take things at face value and there is often a very good explanation why some people are the way they are.

Edited too add: Aussie09 just read your post, that's lovely.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi Bignoise

Just saw your post and felt the need to say hi and my thoughts are with you. Bignoise has a big heart and you can climb this hill successfully, i'm sure. You can feel the support just on here and it does help. Have you considered looking for a support group if your child is diagnosed as autistic. I joined one, for a different matter, and found it so useful to talk to people in the same position. It's good to know that people you tak to understand you completely.

As for poker....it is just a game. i play it for fun but i'm trying to improve. I'm a losing player , especially with all the money i've spent on books, but 'm loving it. I give myself an allotted amount per night/week/ month whatever and consider it as 'entertainment' money . At the end, i ask myself one question..."was i entertained and did i enjoy it?". When i say no on a regular basis, i'll give up and do something else. Easy...   i'm in charge of my poker ....it ain't grinding me!!!

Finally, 'Big', you ARE stronger than you think. I've had tragedy in my life, like so mny others and at one time asked myself "How i am going to smile again?" but the human spirit is strong and , although it will take work, the end result is worth the effort. I'm happier and more knowingly content than i have been at any stage in my life. There is a good book i could rec if you want a helpful read. Send me a personal email if you want mate.

PS Have you thought about posting hands in poker clinic and joining a team as well as playing the DTD forum on a monday(see general poker for the thread). It's nice to have people to chat to and it can give you a FRIENDLY outlet to your frustrations at the moment. All the best mate..

Steve aka profman15
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : Deffo woudnt see it as a disadvantage m8.Just somethin different.He aint ill so thats the main thing.Thx for postin and enjoy your poker man. Paul
    Posted by bignoise10
    I will do mate.

Sorry if it came across wrong. Your attitude to this does seem extremely good.
  • edited June 2012
    Hi Bignoise Just saw your post and felt the need to say hi and my thoughts are with you. Bignoise has a big heart and you can climb this hill successfully, i'm sure. You can feel the support just on here and it does help. Have you considered looking for a support group if your child is diagnosed as autistic. I joined one, for a different matter, and found it so useful to talk to people in the same position. It's good to know that people you tak to understand you completely. As for poker....it is just a game. i play it for fun but i'm trying to improve. I'm a losing player , especially with all the money i've spent on books, but 'm loving it. I give myself an allotted amount per night/week/ month whatever and consider it as 'entertainment' money . At the end, i ask myself one question..."was i entertained and did i enjoy it?". When i say no on a regular basis, i'll give up and do something else. Easy...   i'm in charge of my poker ....it ain't grinding me!!! Finally, 'Big', you ARE stronger than you think. I've had tragedy in my life, like so mny others and at one time asked myself "How i am going to smile again?" but the human spirit is strong and , although it will take work, the end result is worth the effort. I'm happier and more knowingly content than i have been at any stage in my life. There is a good book i could rec if you want a helpful read. Send me a personal email if you want mate. PS Have you thought about posting hands in poker clinic and joining a team as well as playing the DTD forum on a monday(see general poker for the thread). It's nice to have people to chat to and it can give you a FRIENDLY outlet to your frustrations at the moment. All the best mate.. Steve aka profman15
    Posted by profman15
    Appreciate the post prof.Understand your issues m8.Read about them on another thread.Just like I was sayin previously on other posts in this thread, autism aint a"illness", just another thing to overcome.Used to take the game way too seriously man until the weemans issues came to light.Makes you realise.Will deffo look into teams etc in the future once things get settled at home.Thanks for postin man.
    Paul
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : Appreciate the post Don.Alls not lost if my wee man has autism.I've a few mates with autistic kids and they function really well in the real world.Again,cheers for the response m8. Paul.
    Posted by bignoise10
    hey bignoise10, belive me all is not lost..my son is 7 and autistic but that is what makes him him. things change when your children are diginosed with differnet things . i winge about poker but in reality its just a game. well take care and good luck with everything
    steve
  • edited June 2012

Thread just gets better & better.

I could write thousands of words on this subject, as it is very near to my heart, but maybe it's best I don't.

I'm glad, though, that Aussie has Posted, because his situation was not widely known.

I was aware of that from a long time ago, & we discussed it at length. He then sent me a video of George, who had been taken to Disneyland by aussie09. I swear to God, anyone who saw that video would burst into tears. Not sadness, not at all, but that lad was so happy.

I think fair to say that EVERYONE who has posted on this thread would understand why I, & everyone who works for Sky Poker, will NEVER allow certain words (poker slang for "bad players", which refer to people with learning difficulties) to be used on this Forum.

Every time I see those words it hurts, & I wince. I wince for myself, because despite a full recovery, (though not all would agree.....) the pain of it is still there, after all those years. And so I know just how painful & hurtful it is to so so many others.

It only takes a teeny bit of tolerance towards fellow human beings, a teeny bit of understanding & decency, to think for a moment, & come up with different adjectives for "bad" poker players. If they cannot manage that, they will never get an ounce of respect from me. 

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : I will do mate. Sorry if it came across wrong. Your attitude to this does seem extremely good.
    Posted by The_Don90
    Dont sweat it m8.Your post didnt come accross wrong at all.Plus on a side note,all the responses I'm gettin is makin my wife feel better about the whole situation,so thumbs up for that lol.Cheers.
    Paul
  • edited June 2012
    im glad u have posted on here big noise i mean i bottle up alot about my life but reading ya post made me think there is more to life then poker n a bad beat i do come across blunt n maybe rude when i post on the clinic and i am sorry for that think its coz im letting out my frustration of being stuck indoors each day getting down about life im glad i opened up about myself and people will get 2 see the real me im a big teddy bear really who wants to be loved 
  • edited June 2012
    I found time today to read thru this thread properly, as am always rushing with work & catching up with stuff!!

I found it Humbling, but also inspiring, I am proud of my friends & others who have posted here, Honestly & openly!!

It's not much, but i would like to extend a offer of a place, if wanted, to OUR Team HitSquad to You bignoise10 & IDONKCALLU & any other posters on Here!!

Join in as much or as little, only if you want that is, we have HitSquad Hotnews & a FB group!!

Some of you're now friends are already members, and I am proud to see them posting here in support as the likes of Acebarry10 would have done!

These Hitsquad members make me proud with their posts, and am proud to call them my friends...
    Ooonorth
    profman15
    lisar83
    maggiesdad
    aussie09
    woogie8688
    vespaPX
    & team mentor TK10
    with me thats 9 of us!! & well done to ALL other posters

Join in only if you want am sure even a little time with us a week/month may help!!
    You are very welcome!

Dave Hitman Harvey
    Hitsquad founder & Captain, 100 members & growing!!
  • edited June 2012
    I found time today to read thru this thread properly, as am always rushing with work & catching up with stuff!! I found it Humbling, but also inspiring, I am proud of my friends & others who have posted here, Honestly & openly!! It's not much, but i would like to extend a offer of a place, if wanted, to OUR Team HitSquad to You bignoise10 & IDONKUCALL & any other posters on Here!! Join in as much or as little, only if you want that is, we have HitSquad Hotnews & a FB group!! Some of you're now friends are already members, and I am proud to see them posting here in support as the likes of Acebarry10 would have done! These Hitsquad members make me proud with their posts, and am proud to call them my friends... Ooonorth profman15 lisar83 maggiesdad aussie09 & team mentor TK10 with me thats 7 of us!! & well done to ALL other posters Join in only if you want am sure even a little time with us a week/month may help!! You are very welcome! Dave Hitman Harvey Hitsquad founder & Captain, 100 members & growing!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Ok RV need to sort you out! IDonkcallu (and please get the name right) is TPT! I'll bet you like poaching eggs too lol.
  • edited June 2012
    sorry hitman im taken i joined up to tpt a while back thanks for the offer tho sir :)
  • edited June 2012
    I found time today to read thru this thread properly, as am always rushing with work & catching up with stuff!! I found it Humbling, but also inspiring, I am proud of my friends & others who have posted here, Honestly & openly!! It's not much, but i would like to extend a offer of a place, if wanted, to OUR Team HitSquad to You bignoise10 & IDONKUCALL & any other posters on Here!! Join in as much or as little, only if you want that is, we have HitSquad Hotnews & a FB group!! Some of you're now friends are already members, and I am proud to see them posting here in support as the likes of Acebarry10 would have done! These Hitsquad members make me proud with their posts, and am proud to call them my friends... Ooonorth profman15 lisar83 maggiesdad aussie09 & team mentor TK10 with me thats 7 of us!! & well done to ALL other posters Join in only if you want am sure even a little time with us a week/month may help!! You are very welcome! Dave Hitman Harvey Hitsquad founder & Captain, 100 members & growing!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    You've missed out Mike (Woogie8688) !
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : You've missed out Mike ( Woogie8688 ) !
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick,

But I can take a hint m8, 
    Am sure I will get over the disappointment of being axed from the team in time for the next Jubilee celebrations.

Mike  
  • edited June 2012
    LOL!!!!

Sry ALL, OLD AGE!!! [& madness am afraid]

So,  IDONKCALLU spelling sorted, glad you in such a good Team, for support, Sry to u & Daggs, u know it was not a 'poach'!!

Offer open to the OP, Paul tho, if he not already in a team!

Sorry too to Mike woogie, you are added to ma post & vespaPX too now!!

GL ALL, felt offer was least i could do on such a heart-felt thread!!

Money, Success & Poker are no-where near everything in life, it's great to see so many understand that!!

Dave H.
  • edited June 2012
    I found time today to read thru this thread properly, as am always rushing with work & catching up with stuff!! I found it Humbling, but also inspiring, I am proud of my friends & others who have posted here, Honestly & openly!! It's not much, but i would like to extend a offer of a place, if wanted, to OUR Team HitSquad to You bignoise10 & IDONKCALLU & any other posters on Here!! Join in as much or as little, only if you want that is, we have HitSquad Hotnews & a FB group!! Some of you're now friends are already members, and I am proud to see them posting here in support as the likes of Acebarry10 would have done! These Hitsquad members make me proud with their posts, and am proud to call them my friends... Ooonorth profman15 lisar83 maggiesdad aussie09 woogie8688 vespaPX & team mentor TK10 with me thats 9 of us!! & well done to ALL other posters Join in only if you want am sure even a little time with us a week/month may help!! You are very welcome! Dave Hitman Harvey Hitsquad founder & Captain, 100 members & growing!!
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Thanks for the offer m8.Would be very interested in joining.At the moment I'm not sure of the volume of poker I'd be playin due to the weemans upcomin appointments etc.But nonetheless I'm grateful for the offer.If you'd let me know what needs to be done,then lets do it.Agree with you about the  people posting on this thread.Wasnt expecting this to be anywhere near as popular.Seems there are a lot of folk here on sky needin an outlet for their frustrations in life and its good there are folk to listen.
    cheers 
    Paul
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : Thanks for the offer m8.Would be very interested in joining.At the moment I'm not sure of the volume of poker I'd be playin due to the weemans upcomin appointments etc.But nonetheless I'm grateful for the offer.If you'd let me know what needs to be done,then lets do it.Agree with you about the  people posting on this thread.Wasnt expecting this to be anywhere near as popular.Seems there are a lot of folk here on sky needin an outlet for their frustrations in life and its good there are folk to listen. cheers  Paul
    Posted by bignoise10
    You are welcome to join in as much/little as you want!!

Post up on our Hitsquad Hotnews thread in team talk section, there is an intro form, [just a laff], to fill in & post up if you got time!!

I'll copy a link to my Facebook page here if you are onFB as our group is very positive & fun, with a 60 second quiz every day, lol!! We have about 100 members some post every day[hourlol], some once a month, others just meet us a SPT's, so is really relaxed & No Committment required!!

We all have lifes outside of Poker, and are there to help or chat whenever!!

GL Mate!! all the best to family!

Dave Hitman Harvey

Here is the Facebook link to Hitman's (David Harvey) HitSquad Captain, page

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002504449773

• edited June 2012
    greetings.
    my daughter is 21 now and suffers from autism, ADHD, psychosis and schizophrenia. we were told she would never live to see 20 and that she would either be in an institute or prison by the time she was 18. they were wrong. she still lives with my ex and even though she has a lot of probs she enjoys life (usually at my expense! lol). many see a diagnosis of autism as an end to life, it isn't, it's just a start of a new wonderful (but hard work) life.
    when she went to a 'special' school, we got a lot of eye rolling and sneering from certain people; if you get this ignore them.. 'special' is the right term for that is what they are..SPECIAL. the teachers etc helped not only my daughter but my ex and myself learn to enjoy life to the fullest.
    best of luck
    laurie
  • edited June 2012
    greetings. my daughter is 21 now and suffers from autism, ADHD, psychosis and schizophrenia. we were told she would never live to see 20 and that she would either be in an institute or prison by the time she was 18. they were wrong. she still lives with my ex and even though she has a lot of probs she enjoys life (usually at my expense! lol). many see a diagnosis of autism as an end to life, it isn't, it's just a start of a new wonderful (but hard work) life. when she went to a 'special' school, we got a lot of eye rolling and sneering from certain people; if you get this ignore them.. 'special' is the right term for that is what they are..SPECIAL. the teachers etc helped not only my daughter but my ex and myself learn to enjoy life to the fullest. best of luck laurie
    Posted by lozgo
    THIS was one of the hardest things i found to deal with especily when shopping. but you do get used to it and just ignore it in the end.
  • edited June 2012
    greetings. my daughter is 21 now and suffers from autism, ADHD, psychosis and schizophrenia. we were told she would never live to see 20 and that she would either be in an institute or prison by the time she was 18. they were wrong. she still lives with my ex and even though she has a lot of probs she enjoys life (usually at my expense! lol). many see a diagnosis of autism as an end to life, it isn't, it's just a start of a new wonderful (but hard work) life. when she went to a 'special' school, we got a lot of eye rolling and sneering from certain people; if you get this ignore them.. 'special' is the right term for that is what they are..SPECIAL. the teachers etc helped not only my daughter but my ex and myself learn to enjoy life to the fullest. best of luck laurie
    Posted by lozgo
    Sounds like your daughter has an extreme mix of issues. My hat is off to her cant imagine what it must be like. I really like the comment i have bolded from this quote.
  • edited June 2012

Wow, this thread is such an eye-opener.

Lozgo said....

"....when she went to a 'special' school, we got a lot of eye rolling and sneering from certain people....."

That is SUCH a great point, only those who have children or family in that position, or have been to a "Special School" themselves know how painful that is, when people mock, or use derogatary terms about poker players which make light of it. They will never, ever, know the pain they cause, & so un-necessary.

The thread has been such an eye-opener, in so many ways. Those that carry the heaviest burdens in life, quietly & with great dignity, & do so without ever complaining, are my absolute heroes. Pretty much everyone on this thread, really. 

• edited June 2012
    Nice thread.  Everyone should read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
    Posted by SoLack
    THIS

The Curious Incident is a modern literary masterpiece and is a must read.

If ever there was a book that opens your eyes to indifference, this is it. It also happens to be hilarious in such a clever and easy to read way. In such a cruel world, a book like this should be on the school syllabus for ALL 10-11 year olds and then hopefully it would reduce the generally ignorant views that they take into senior school that go on to affect the lives of so many special educational needs students.

• edited June 2012

GREAT Post by MyZo.

The indifference to those who are a little less fortunate than most of us is staggering, & I think he is right - a little education, help them understand from an early age, would go a long way. I guess indifference is one thing, openly mocking them via lazy & unimaginative use of derogatory phrases, which so many do, is quite inexcusable.

Don't start me off, this subject makes me so cross. ;)
  • edited June 2012
    Come on Bignoise....join the HITSQUAD....i've joined just in the last week or so. I can recommend it, mate.

There's no pressure to do anything. You'll get facebook mails to scan but you needn't answer or do anything. There's free, fun comps organised by Dave (HITMAN_RV) and others incl the eurosport football 'guessing'...just fun...simple as. It will take your mind off 'stuff' for a couple of minutes.

DTD Forum is a good comp on a monday. Just a fiver or so for a night's entertainment and results published the next day. There's team and individual competition in it.

Just look in Team talk section...fill in the 2 min application sheet and that's it. Make the choice ...you'll feel good, i promise!!!
  • edited June 2012
    Come on Bignoise....join the HITSQUAD....i've joined just in the last week or so. I can recommend it, mate.   There's no pressure to do anything. You'll get facebook mails to scan but you needn't answer or do anything. There's free, fun comps organised by Dave (HITMAN_RV) and others incl the eurosport football 'guessing'...just fun...simple as. It will take your mind off 'stuff' for a couple of minutes. DTD Forum is a good comp on a monday. Just a fiver or so for a night's entertainment and results published the next day. There's team and individual competition in it. Just look in Team talk section...fill in the 2 min application sheet and that's it. Make the choice ...you'll feel good, i promise!!!
    Posted by profman15
    ty, Newly appointed 'THS Marketing Executve'

Am fascinated by the Book mentioned by Solack & reccomended by Myzo Now, Will put it on My 'To Read' list with...

'Go Dog Go'
    'Hop On Pop'
    'Poker for REAL Beginners, [or Donks]'

Am sure I will enjoy All!!

• edited June 2012
    Posted by lozgo
    Thanks for responding.Didnt realise there were so many folk that had similar stories to tell.I'm well aware that my kid hasnt actually been diagnosed yet but is showin all the charaacteristics of autistic behaviour.Also with the speech therapy comin up we are hopeful some progress can be made.Best of luck to you and your daughter.
    Paul
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Real life! : THIS The Curious Incident is a modern literary masterpiece and is a must read. If ever there was a book that opens your eyes to indifference, this is it. It also happens to be hilarious in such a clever and easy to read way. In such a cruel world, a book like this should be on the school syllabus for ALL 10-11 year olds and then hopefully it would reduce the generally ignorant views that they take into senior school that go on to affect the lives of so many special educational needs students.  
    Posted by MyZo
    My mum bought me this a few years back, and i loved this book. Never been much of a reader and had to read bits of it twice or even three times to understand its a very good book.
  • edited June 2012
    Paul the title of your post says it all,i know whatever is thrown at you regarding your son you will cope with it,he is your son you love him and that is all that matters.

As quite a few of the guys have mentioned poker is just a distraction from real life and it can be fun as well as frustrating at times.I would understand if some people dont believe what i am about to say but i never get angry or lose it over anything that happens in poker,it is just a game.

All the best mate.