You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Back to basics......End of diary

edited December 2012 in Poker Chat
Beat the level you play then move on, nl10 is easier than nl20 and so on......

Depends though if you want to play cash long term or is it just a filler in between MTT's

if it's just a filler than no harm in playing nl50 ) If you can afford to lose £200 then go for it - have an amount you can scrap from your BR and it won't affect you

if you want to improve your overall game then beat a level at a time, just like small stepping stones

Comments

• edited December 2012
    I have started playing more and more cash games recently (mainly 10nl and the occasional 20nl session). I am by no means a good cash player but I would like to think I am no mug either. I seem to be having more winning sessions than losing ones.

Anyway, I now have a br that allows me to have a stab at some mid stakes action but not sure if it is a wise decision as the majority of my br has come from mtt's.

Should I stick at the level I'm at or take a shot??

(dohhh is not allowed to answer as I'm sure he would love some easy money!)
  • edited October 2012
    if you usually play like 6 tables of NL10, just play 5 NL10 and add in an NL20. then it's no big deal it'll just be part of your play and you won't think of it as a higher level.

if successful, phase out NL10 and replace with NL20?
  • edited October 2012

If you sat at my cash table I wouldn't be overly chuffed about it, I don't think you would make many big mistakes even if you are in-experienced at cash........

It's not like I'd be thinking "oh wow here's Waller the game just got easier".

Would probably be the opposite, "oh I wish waller wud fo and give that seat to a limp calling station fish" etc. 

I wouldn't be like "oh shhhhhhhh1t here's waller this is gonna be tough" either. But then theres only a couple of players on the site at my level that would get that reaction.

So in general I reckon you could more than hold your own on the tables I play at (30nl). Maybe the up in stakes might effect your mental game/approach but if you're comfortable with the stakes I'm sure you'd at least break even at first and then go on to show a profit. 

That's my honest opinion based on my experience playing you in MTTs.

GL if you decide to give it a go bud! (I probably wont even be there as I hardly play lol)

• edited October 2012
    I have been playing a fair amount of cash this month due to the promo but I aint getting anywhere near the top 20 so gonna cut out a couple of tables and move up a level or two (should be fun).

I only play cash in small sessions and will always play mtts more than anything else.....I may just sneak a couple of 20/30nl tables in and see how it goes.

If I lose a load of buyins then at least I can say I tried....better to have tried and failed and all that.......

Who are the ones to watch?? or will that soon become obvious?

Won't be playing any tonight cos of DTD but probs have a crack tomorrow..watch this space lol
  • edited October 2012

I would just avoid anyone who is playing on more than 3 tables at a time. Plenty of 1 tabling recreational players at 20nl. There's a nice player pool at 20nl at the mo, enjoy.
  • edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Do i take a shot or stay where I am comfortable?:
     I would just avoid anyone who is playing on more than 3 tables at a time. Plenty of 1 tabling recreational players at 20nl. There's a nice player pool at 20nl at the mo, enjoy.
    Posted by 68Trebor
    was think of jumping straight in at 30.....played 20 a fair bit, you only live once!
  • edited October 2012
    So in general I reckon you could more than hold your own on the tables I play at (30nl). Maybe the up in stakes might effect your mental game/approach but if you're comfortable with the stakes I'm sure you'd at least break even at first and then go on to show a profit.  That's my honest opinion based on my experience playing you in MTTs. GL if you decide to give it a go bud! (I probably wont even be there as I hardly play lol)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Doh giving advice on the mental side of Poker haha
  • edited October 2012
    I think you should take a shot and go to the next level definitely, there are alot of Real Poker sites out there so you can sample before you take the plunge to the clunge, cos lets face it this lot are a bunch of cee u next tuesdays lol
  • edited October 2012
    Yes bankroll management is important in poker but i dont see any harm in taking a shot as long as your comfertable if you lose a few buyins you will improve your game as you move up.  I definately advate always taking a shot up to the next level when your bankroll allows you to.
  • edited October 2012
    If you have a comfortable roll, then theres no reason not to move up.  Maybe set yourself an amount that you're willing to lose...so if you go on a bad run and drop 5BIs then its no harm done and you go back down and grind it back out.

One thing that confused me is that people like to 'constrain' themselves within a limit.  It is perfectly fine to be sat there grinding say 3 20nl tables and 2 30nl tables.  Allows us to keep multi-tabling within our roll, get used to a new limit at a slow pace while also continuing at a level where we have shown to be consistantly winning.

I think this is a big leak that a lot of players have as they like to be know as a '200nl' reg for example.  Think that you should look beyond the BI level and just look at where the value is, and it's not uncommong for me to be playing 50nl alongside 300nl.
  • _G__G_
    edited October 2012
    Hi Waller
    If you feel comfortable at those levels, why not have ago see how it works out, as been said watch your br, you should be ok.

ps well played the other night in the 2K BH.

Glen
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for the input.

Well as it stands I have just over 40 buyins for 30nl and I have often seen people on the forum saying you can take a shot with as little as 20 buyins. I aint gonna go crazy and I have always (well mostly) maintained good BRM.....I just fancy a crack at it.

I plan on 4 tabling......2 @ 20nl and 2 @ 30nl..........if it starts going pear shaped I aint gonna chase my losses I will just move back down. But at least I will know I tried rather then wondering "What if"....
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    think having 40bis isn't being too nitty.  just about perfect IMO.  your plan sounds like a solic one tho and GL with it!
  • edited October 2012
    good luck
    Posted by rancid
    ty...although I will prob be back donating numerous buyins to you again by the end of the week lol

gl to you in the cash promo...quite a battle shaping up for the top spot
  • edited October 2012
    think having 40bis isn't being too nitty.  just about perfect IMO.  your plan sounds like a solic one tho and GL with it!
    Posted by scotty77
    cheers.....will need it :)
  • edited October 2012
    Gl ryan, hope it all goes well fella, there`s some complete fish at nl 20/30!!!!

I`ll see you soon!!!
  • edited October 2012
    Gl ryan, hope it all goes well fella, there`s some complete fish at nl 20/30!!!! I`ll see you soon!!!
    Posted by davelufc
    cheers m8 starting later tonight will post how the session went
  • edited October 2012
    OK...........

I have decided to move up a couple of levels and see how the land lies. I have just completed a 2.5hr session playing 2 tables at 20nl and 2 tables at 30nl.

I have played 20nl quite a few times before so knew what to expect but when I first sat down on the 30nl tables I have to admit I was very curious as to how things would turn out. There were a couple of spots where I should have been more aggressive pre flop perhaps (one of the hands below highlights this..) but I wanted to find my feet and get to know the oppos game before going too crazy especially as I hadnt come across any of the players on either 30nl table before.

The hand below settled any concerns I may have had and I managed to push on from there playing average poker which surprised me!

The starting hand: This table was extremely loose, raises were getting no respect and often going 4 way to the flop. I had previously 3 bet with AK....got 3 callers and totally missed the flop so I decided just to flat with the JJ and re assess on the flop (good or bad...I dunno??) The rest of the hand played itself and my confidence grew for the rest of the session.
    Cyclob Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £21.72
    tony2times Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £18.37
     Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

1Call  £0.30 £0.75 £14.60
    2Raise  £1.20 £1.95 £36.01
    waller02 Call  £1.20 £3.15 £36.30
    3Call  £1.20 £4.35 £14.19
    Cyclob Fold     
    tony2times Fold     
    1Call  £0.90 £5.25 £13.70
    Flop

• J

1Check     
    2Check     
    waller02 Bet  £3.90 £9.15 £32.40
    Call  £3.90 £13.05 £10.29
    Fold     
    2Call  £3.90 £16.95 £32.11
    Turn

• J

Check     
    waller02 Check     
    Check     
    River

• A

2Check     
    waller02 Bet  £10.80 £27.75 £21.60
    All-in  £10.29 £38.04 £0.00
    Fold     
    waller02 Unmatched bet  £0.51 £37.53 £22.11
    waller02 Show
    • J
    • J

Show

waller02 Win Four Jacks £35.73
    This next hand is one I'm not too sure about......The villain who donk bets the flop does not concern me as he seemed to be doing it a lot with 2nd or bottom pair hands, so I stick in the raise. I was surprised to see the other villain shove but he had been playing erratically all game and I felt I had to make the call???? Spewy???
    Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £11.15
    Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £31.81
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

waller02 Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £59.24
    Cyclob Fold     
    tony2times Fold     
    1Call  £0.75 £2.10 £10.40
    Call  £0.60 £2.70 £31.21
    Flop

• Q

Check     
    Bet  £1.50 £4.20 £29.71
    waller02 Raise  £4.20 £8.40 £55.04
    1All-in  £10.40 £18.80 £0.00
    Fold     
    waller02 Call  £6.20 £25.00 £48.84
    Show
    • Q

waller02 Show
    • K
    • Q

Turn

River

waller02 Win Pair of Queens £23.75
    Anyway the session has been a winning one. I am not playing anymore tonight as I need an early night. If anyone is reading this and has any thoughts/advice on the above hands then feel free to comment.

I am going to post my progress on this thread so I can make a note of any profits and losses I am making.

20nl
    Profit today = +£28.98
    Overall Profit = +£28.98

30nl
    Profit Today = +£31.80
    Overall Profit =  +£31.80

Total Profit = +£60.78

• edited October 2012
    hi Ryan,
    nice going mate.
    keep it up.
    will follow your progress with interest.
    (* *)
    dev

• edited October 2012
    In Response to Re: Taking a shot........Day 1.:
    hi Ryan, nice going mate. keep it up. will follow your progress with interest. (* *) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    ty dev, nice to get off to a winning start but I aint getting carried away could easily have an awful session next time...thats the beauty of the game eh

btw...how on earth do you play 21 tables you nutter!!!! any more than 6 and my head starts spinning lol hope your good run on the dyms continues m8
  • edited October 2012
    was nice playing with u waller on master cash i beleieve we both made a lil profit dnt think we tangled to much nice work keep it up :)
  • edited October 2012
    Well well well...........the honeymoon period is over, I have just had a pretty horrid 3 hr session.

I had nut flush losing to fh....twice
    I had set losing to straight.
    I had QQ<89
    And I had flush over flush.

Having said that I did make a couple of bad calls........one in particular for a full buy in with the nut flush to a check raise all in on a paired board...... a blatant fh but I still called.....leaks like this I def need to improve on.

The 2 hands below sum up my luck this evening........any advice on my play would be welcome
    KING2600 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £17.55
    Pepps1 Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £34.81
     Your hole cards
    • Q
    • J

waller02 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £27.49
    sneji Call  £0.60 £1.50 £18.24
    Bergman Call  £0.60 £2.10 £20.08
    KING2600 Fold     
    Pepps1 Fold     
    Flop

• A
    • J

waller02 Bet  £1.58 £3.68 £25.91
    sneji Fold     
    Bergman Call  £1.58 £5.26 £18.50
    Turn

waller02 Check     
    Bergman Check     
    River

waller02 Bet  £3.95 £9.21 £21.96
    Bergman Raise  £10.53 £19.74 £7.97
    waller02 All-in  £21.96 £41.70 £0.00
    Bergman All-in  £7.97 £49.67 £0.00
    waller02 Unmatched bet  £7.41 £42.26 £7.41
    waller02 Show
    • Q
    • J

Bergman Show
    • K

Bergman Win Flush to the Ace £40.46
    AILII_CAT Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £15.22
    COOLHNDFLX Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £39.80
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

haidyboy Fold     
    wudibluff Fold     
    waller02 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £40.52
    25075424 Fold     
    AILII_CAT Fold     
    COOLHNDFLX Raise  £1.60 £2.50 £38.20
    waller02 Raise  £4.80 £7.30 £35.72
    COOLHNDFLX Call  £3.60 £10.90 £34.60
    Flop

• K
    • J

COOLHNDFLX Check     
    waller02 Check     
    Turn

COOLHNDFLX Bet  £5.45 £16.35 £29.15
    waller02 Call  £5.45 £21.80 £30.27
    River

• K

COOLHNDFLX Bet  £10.90 £32.70 £18.25
    waller02 Call  £10.90 £43.60 £19.37
    COOLHNDFLX Show
    • A
    • Q

waller02 Show
    • A
    • K

COOLHNDFLX Win Straight to the Ace £41.80
    I felt myself starting to tilt and playing worse so I gave up for the night............here are the scores on the doors.

20nl
    Profit Today = -£65.34
    Total Profit = -£36.36

30nl
    Profit Today = -£49.26
    Total Profit = -£17.46

Overall Profit = -£53.82

I am giving myself a 5BI loss limit before I drop back down which is £150......so gonna stick with it until then.........hope for a better night tomorrow
  • edited October 2012
    poker - its a brutal game
    advice
    1. dont get too up on your wins and too down on your losses
    2. you should learn more from your losing sessions than you do from your winning.
    3a. how many times in the session did you get your chips in infront and stay in front
    3b. how many times in the seesion did you get your chips in behind and go in front
    3c how many times i the session did you get you chips in infront and go behind
    3d how many times in the session did you get your chips in behind with 40% outs or better and stay behind.
    4 a+b / c+d losing sessions are usually less than 1, winning sessions are greater. 
    5 the value of these sessions need to be in proportion to your +/- 1 figure, if you have won a great deal despite only having say a fig of 2.2 then you can claim to be peforming well, if you have lost only a little if having a fig of 0.2 then you should also congratulate yourself. If the opposite to the two examples have athink about your game, and decide whether you stay at the level or drop.

• edited October 2012

Another poor cash session tonight, 20nl was my downfall.....I dont think I played too bad (bar a nitty fold with KK after being owned by cenachav). I have decided not to play on the mastercash tables for a while as losing a full buy in there hurts more!!!

20nl

Profit Today = -£61.47
    Overall Profit = -£97.83

30nl

Profit Today = +£12.35
    Overall Profit = -£5.11

Total Profit = -£102.94

So, not quite the 5BI loss yet but getting close!!! Tomorrow I will lay off the mastercash tables and play the normal ones.

Off the cash tables I managed (albeit playing poor poker) to finish 3rd in the 12k BH so a good night overall

waller0203£693.90 + £149.79 Head Prizes5 

• edited October 2012
    2 hands above I think you played the second one perfectly postflop

first one I bet ott
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
  • edited October 2012
    V.nice result - WD
  • edited October 2012
    From a couple of the hands that you have posted on here you seem to shut dwon on the turn when your hand gets stronger and then value bet the river. For example the flush over flush hand (your always going broke here) you bet your draw on the flop but bet the turn when you hit aswell try and get 3 streets of value from your big hands looks like you maybe leaving abit of value behind. Other than that glad to hear you having fun good luck to you :)