You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Back to basics......End of diary

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I only played u 1 time I think, when you were just starting out @ 30nl?

U are easily good enough to beat 30nl. U had me in your pocket all night that session. 

Not sure what's gone on since exactly, but you are good enough to beat 30nl now, with scope to improve on top of that, I'd suggest quitting cash is a very bad idea. 
  • edited November 2012
    I feel sorry for you Waller, I'm on the verge of doing exactly what the title of your thread is. Variance in all forms of poker can be brutal but imo over a shortspace of time running bad in cash feels SO much more brutal than running bad in any other format. It's just so easily done to stack off, top up, stack off, top up etc and have made very little in the way of mistakes.

I'm gonna be posting up on my diary tonight if I can be bothered so I won't go on here, but yeah the best thing you can do is either not play for a little bit OR play super tiny stakes for a bit so you can relax a bit more and not feel the pressure that you might feel stacking off at 30NL OR spend a little while playing something else, SnGs, MTTs etc. Doesn't have to be forever.
  • edited November 2012
    Played the mini primo......poker is turning me into a miserable moaning sod!!!!

It's easy enough to say look at my game and I will win.......ok then what do I do here??? I can't get off this hand can I???? I do look at hands and try to improve but THIS is how I'm running.......I'm not enjoying playing, gonna take another week off from poker and think bout what I can do to improve........GL all
    Tsaaaar Small blind  25.00 25.00 2020.00
    CVH Big blind  50.00 75.00 4405.00
     Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

pigsbody Raise  100.00 175.00 1960.00
    waller02 Raise  300.00 475.00 1740.00
    Gollygosh Fold     
    LADYGUNS Fold     
    Tsaaaar Fold     
    CVH Fold     
    pigsbody Call  200.00 675.00 1760.00
    Flop

pigsbody Check     
    waller02 Bet  450.00 1125.00 1290.00
    pigsbody Call  450.00 1575.00 1310.00
    Turn

pigsbody Check     
    waller02 All-in  1290.00 2865.00 0.00
    pigsbody All-in  1310.00 4175.00 0.00
    pigsbody Unmatched bet  20.00 4155.00 20.00
    pigsbody Show

waller02 Show
    • K
    • K

River

• J

pigsbody Win Three 3s 4155.00
  • edited November 2012
    you can't have upswings without downswings -

Like saying we should win everytime we go in ahead, just doesn't happen

It's the hardest thing to get your head around be it cash or mtt's
  • edited November 2012
    ok........

I have had 10mins to simmer down!!! I look back at some of my earlier posts and this moaning about the beats makes me sound like a hypocrite!!!

It's just that it has been relentless....I get a hand like KK preflop and expect to lose and the enjoyment has gone.

I stand by what I have said as far as having a break is concerned..no poker til Friday 100%.

I thought I had sorted any mental issues out as far as variance is concerned, I obv havent. 1 or 2 beats I can handle......beat after beat after beat I cannot.

Nobody likes bad beat yawns...I hate posting them and for that I apologise. In the mean time if anyone can recommend any books or websites I would be grateful!

Back on Friday.............GL :)
  • edited November 2012
    hi Ryan,
    sorry u r running so bad atm,i know how u feel.
    have a few days off m8,and things won't seem so bad.
    if u think about it rationally,which isn't easy straight after a losing session i know,you are still well up money wise and you are only losing money you have previously won,so that's worth remembering.
    you have tried something new,playing cash and it hasn't gone well for you,this time.
    maybe in a few days you might feel like trying again,who knows.
    next time maybe start off at a lower level and work your way up through the levels when u have say the 100 buy-ins for the next level,that way losing several buy-ins a session won't hurt so much.
    it's so true about good b/roll management being important.sticking to it...now that's the tricky part.
    maybe 100 buy-ins is a bit high for cash,but the more you have the less it hurts when you lose.
    gl buddy.
    i know you can do it,...'you'll be back'
    :)
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    hi mate ive been playin poker since2009 i started for fun and at times it went well but for 2 years ive lost money but ive stuck with it coz i like poker have a passion for it ive no brain for stats and such but i carried on  yes the  bad things is  beats they happen lots some times u get them and feel bad that you did wrong or some thing else  but i just brush it off now carry on now 
    i did take some breaks in this time too think about if poker was for me still
    and some people tell you that ur a loser at the tbles with ur stats but i carried on  now my account is in proffit 1st time in a long while 

there will be swings in good fortune mate   ride it  out if ur passion is strong enough brush the beats too the side  there are plenty of people too help you with ur game on sky 
  • edited November 2012
    Some of those beats are brutal Waller and even the best players aren't getting away from them but all of us who play lots of poker go through spells like that. Variance sucks.

If its ruining your love for the game then a little break won't hurt you in the slightest. Spend your new found free time watching some of the pro's playing and explaining their thought processes on YouTube, rail some of the winning players here on Sky, re-read some books and articles you already have.

Come back when you GENUINELY feel like playing again, quit a couple of sessions with a small profit locked up, get that winning feeling again. Let yourself ENJOY poker again.

Good luck :)
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: I QUIT.....Day 19.:
    Some of those beats are brutal Waller and even the best players aren't getting away from them but all of us who play lots of poker go through spells like that. Variance sucks. If its ruining your love for the game then a little break won't hurt you in the slightest. Spend your new found free time watching some of the pro's playing and explaining their thought processes on YouTube, rail some of the winning players here on Sky, re-read some books and articles you already have. Come back when you GENUINELY feel like playing again, quit a couple of sessions with a small profit locked up, get that winning feeling again. Let yourself ENJOY poker again. Good luck :)
    Posted by SJspanky1
    Basically evrything i was going to say.
    Have a good break, start fresh.
    You already know this but none of us play optimally when running bad.
    We get timid and limp rather than raise and make mistakes we wouldn't normally make.

You're a good player from the few times i've played with you.
    Come back when you REALLY want to play and CRUSH!

Good luck
  • edited November 2012
    I had 5 weeks of the same beats, was driving me bonkers.

The last 3 days have been winning days.

It's good to have a bit of a moan and get it out of your system.

Take a few days off and comeback stronger....................
  • edited November 2012
    I don't mind giving up abit of time to help coach/analyse a few hands.  I'm not claiming to be Phil Ivey but I'm a winning 30nl player.  I wrote a little piece on another players thread about dealing with variance...will see if I can find and then paste it.
  • edited November 2012
    Here's a few little things that help me...

I don't know whether you want advice from me but as a fellow grinder I'll try and help.

1.  You have to take time off mate.  Even if it's just a day.  But set yourself a length of time and stick to it.  Promise to take the kids/wife out and make sure you go through with it.  As well as the time out and getting the hunger back it will but into perspective that poker isn't everything.

2.  Get a couple of photo's of friends, family, pets (maybe of the past) and frame them and place them where you can see them.  Whenever beats are killing you just take a quick look at your photo's.  I have one of my dog who died 3 years ago and remember the good times we had and thinking about it I'd give my roll in an instant to have him back.  The picture still makes me smile.

3.  I have a framed £20 note next to my pc.  This is mainly to help prevent tilting and remind myself that it's actual money I'm playing for and not just numbers on a screen.  Probably sounds stupid to everyone but I feel it helps me.

4.  Again maybe sounds stupid to others, but I have had a canvas made up with a few inspritaional quotes..........The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke.

That's just one of many quotes on my piece but i'm all for the positive energ.

5.  In your spare time watch some inspirational stuff.  Movies, documentary's etc etc   'Braveheart' 'Rocky' etc etc.  I like watching 'how the other half live' on c4od.  Puts things into perspective.

6  Before you start playing go for a walk.  At least 30 mins and maybe get some food/coffee.  Try and make this part of your routine.  Its to easy just to stop doing it.

7.  Plan your day.  E.g Sessions times 1pm-4pm, break and food.  5pm - 8pm. Food/kids/wife.  9 - middnight.  Play around with it and find out what suits you best.

8.  If you play well, treat yourself.  Doesn't have to be anything expensive.  Hair cut, round of golf, footy match etc.  But you worked hard so why not!

I could go on and on mate and not sure if this stuff will really help you or anyone else.  These are just little things I do to keep me sane.

Poker can be cruel, very cruel but life is to short!

Hope your luck changes very soon!
  • edited November 2012
    good post dnttelmum 

at end of day poker should be u play co u enjoy playing it not cozya have to play for the sake of it because u have nowt else to do if this is the case find anothe hobby go for walks etc 

as dnttelmum said money aint the be or end all ofc it helps im out of work n i play for my income im happy to just earn enuff to pay my rent n have a lil bit to pay for my drink for weekends n go out with m8es but if i could have my dad back n well i would give up all my bankroll for him to come bk in my life he had a stroke 3 years ago and is in a bad way lost 8 stone does weird noises cant look after himself n dnt recognize me sometimes when i see him in nursing home for him to get better would beat any sky roller or primo bink just think poker aint so bad after all 
  • edited November 2012
    Thanks for advice everyone....some great posts there.

Poker can DO ONE!!!!! (til friday)

Gonna spend some quality time with the family, dig out the old xbox and have a break for a bit. I have got a big test coming up on Thursday as part of my job so I can concentrate on that too.

Not sure what I plan on playing on Friday.....dont even wanna think about it tbh!!!

I wont be on the forum til Friday either so thanks again for the advice and have fun at the tables.
  • edited November 2012

Right, I am back on the tables after my break. Didn't even miss playing really which shows me that having a break was def the right thing to do.

In my work life I passed the practical side of my Trade Test so that was a BIG weight of my shoulders......I could come back to poker with a clear head!

Played a few mtt's to get me back into the swing of things, had a couple of min cashes and was close to a decent cash in the mini BH where I finished 10th (I got my chips in the middle as a big fav AK<AJ so I'm happy with how I played).

Finally sat down for a couple of sessions of the enemy that is cash!!!!! First session was AWFUL and I thought here we go again....I stood up after 90 mins 18quid down.......but I aint giving up, I am determined to become a profitable cash player!!!!!!

Second session went a lot better and I have just finished after managing to claw back the first sessions loss!

So the plan is............FRESH START, stick to 10nl until I can beat it before moving back up and most importantly I want to start enjoying the game again!

Results:

10nl
    Profit Today = +£0.72
    Overall Profit = +£0.72

Total Profit = -£265.71

As you can see, I am carrying over my losses from before but starting at 10nl as a new start......hopefully I can start to pull myself back into profit...........I WILL BEAT CASH!!! (may not be true)

Gl at the tables all :)

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: I'm Back.....Day 20.:
    Right, I am back on the tables after my break. Didn't even miss playing really which shows me that having a break was def the right thing to do. In my work life I passed the practical side of my Trade Test so that was a BIG weight of my shoulders......I could come back to poker with a clear head! Played a few mtt's to get me back into the swing of things, had a couple of min cashes and was close to a decent cash in the mini BH where I finished 10th (I got my chips in the middle as a big fav AK<AJ so I'm happy with how I played). Finally sat down for a couple of sessions of the enemy that is cash!!!!! First session was AWFUL and I thought here we go again....I stood up after 90 mins 18quid down.......but I aint giving up, I am determined to become a profitable cash player!!!!!! Second session went a lot better and I have just finished after managing to claw back the first sessions loss! So the plan is............FRESH START, stick to 10nl until I can beat it before moving back up and most importantly I want to start enjoying the game again! Results: 10nl Profit Today = +£0.72 Overall Profit = +£0.72 Total Profit = -£265.71 As you can see, I am carrying over my losses from before but starting at 10nl as a new start......hopefully I can start to pull myself back into profit...........I WILL BEAT CASH!!! (may not be true) Gl at the tables all :)
    Posted by waller02
    and gl to you as well
  • edited November 2012
    Joy!! another player ay 10NL taking a seat away from a fish at the table, and just as I'm getting back into cash! lol.

Nah good luck mate, and I'll be seeing you at the tables.
  • edited November 2012
    Joy!! another player ay 10NL taking a seat away from a fish at the table, and just as I'm getting back into cash! lol. Nah good luck mate, and I'll be seeing you at the tables.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I don't think you have anything to worry about.....this thread is just a tale of doom so far. I am rather poor on the cash tables!! lol
  • edited November 2012
    Just finished another 2 hour session on the 10nl tables.....another winning one, I haven't had 2 winning sessions in a row for quite some time!!

The only annoying thing about the session was having to move tables a few times due to the tables breaking up, I think I must have logged on just as people were leaving to watch the footy.

Had an enjoyable battle on one of my tables with an unfamiliar name....quite frankly he was awful, literally playing EVERY hand regardless of the action beforehand..........and he was running like god which made it quite a difficult situation for me. I sat there just waiting for a monster to stack him and it finally came when I flopped 2 pair after I had raised pre...got the lot in against his top pair....he hit runner runner straight. I managed to claw a couple of quid back off him and it was fun playing for a change.....I love these kinda duels when playing on the cash tables, just hope he isn't running so hot if we meet again.

Other tables were pretty standard, won a nice pot with KK />QQ.

First time in a couple of weeks where I have genuinely wanted to sit down and play. I'm glad the love for the game seems to be returning :)

10nl
    Profit Today = +£13.29
    Overall Profit = +£14.01

Total Profit = -£251.70

Gl at the tables all
  • edited November 2012
    hi Ryan,
    glad the love is returning.
    well played mate,different game once the wins return isn't it.
    keep grinding mate.i'm sure you can get that £251 back and move forwards again.
    gl
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    See you at the tables ;P goodluck with your topic
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: My Cash Battle.....Day 21.:
    hi Ryan, glad the love is returning. well played mate,different game once the wins return isn't it. keep grinding mate.i'm sure you can get that £251 back and move forwards again. gl dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    ty dev....yeah hope i can start clawing some of it back
  • edited November 2012
    See you at the tables ;P goodluck with your topic
    Posted by shaun09
    yeah no doubt will bump into you a fair bit in the future.......I think you know who the villain in question is, they were on our table.....took a big pot off me before you arrived :(

I'll get them next time (i hope) lol
  • edited November 2012
    yeah im always on them so im sure we will :D yeah i think i know the guy ur on about :P
  • edited November 2012
    cash is disgusting :*
  • edited November 2012
    i don`t post much on your thread but I always read it hows 10nl treating you m8?
    also you enjoying cash a little more now since dropping down?

gl at the tables
  • edited November 2012
    Joy!! another player ay 10NL taking a seat away from a fish at the table, and just as I'm getting back into cash! lol. Nah good luck mate, and I'll be seeing you at the tables.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This is exactly my thoughts reading this - it's already hard enough to find good seats away from people like Tintin, Shaun09 and Lambert!

I also can't help but feel that every time an unamed luckbox is being talked about at these levels, that I must be a potential candidate - my recent bankroll changes have definitely been a result of giving more bad beats than I've taken!

All the very best though OP - I'd envisage that dropping back down to this level will, albeit maybe slowly, see you comfortably regain those losses from higher levels.  A lot reads like your timing was just off and you stepped up just at the time the poker gods wanted to turn everything against you.

Just don't take my money too fast please :)
  • edited November 2012
    i don`t post much on your thread but I always read it hows 10nl treating you m8? also you enjoying cash a little more now since dropping down? gl at the tables
    Posted by liamboi11
    yeah enjoying it more as the beats don't sting as much, still got a lot to learn as cash is a lot different to mtts...hopefully i will turn things around

gl to you too, see you on the tables
  • edited November 2012
    cash is disgusting :*
    Posted by JSTFLIPPIN
    +1 lol
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: I'm Back.....Day 20. : This is exactly my thoughts reading this - it's already hard enough to find good seats away from people like Tintin, Shaun09 and Lambert! I also can't help but feel that every time an unamed luckbox is being talked about at these levels, that I must be a potential candidate - my recent bankroll changes have definitely been a result of giving more bad beats than I've taken! All the very best though OP - I'd envisage that dropping back down to this level will, albeit maybe slowly, see you comfortably regain those losses from higher levels.  A lot reads like your timing was just off and you stepped up just at the time the poker gods wanted to turn everything against you. Just don't take my money too fast please :)
    Posted by shakinaces
    lol you aint the unamed luckbox.....your name rings a bell but not sure if i have been on a table with you.

The way things have been going it should be me saying don't take my money too fast to you :)