You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Back to basics......End of diary

Comments

• edited November 2012
    walks2311 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £8.54 waller02 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £17.38  Your hole cards K A    BAGGPUSS Call  £0.10 £0.25 £2.13 bannyboy14 Raise  £0.30 £0.55 £18.79 yidend Fold     sParePart Call  £0.30 £0.85 £7.80 walks2311 Fold     waller02 Raise  £1.20 £2.05 £16.18 BAGGPUSS Fold     bannyboy14 Call  £1.00 £3.05 £17.79 sParePart Fold     Flop  5 Q 8    waller02 Bet  £1.70 £4.75 £14.48 bannyboy14 Raise  £3.40 £8.15 £14.39 waller02 Call  £1.70 £9.85 £12.78 Turn  J    waller02 Check     bannyboy14 Check     River  2    waller02 Check     bannyboy14 All-in  £14.39 £24.24 £0.00 waller02 Fold     bannyboy14 Muck     bannyboy14 Win  £9.11  £9.11 bannyboy14 Return  £14.39
    ST220 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £6.27 brotycon Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £21.05  Your hole cards K Q    Tirion151 Fold     waller02 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £9.53 morg666 Fold     ST220 Fold     brotycon Raise  £0.60 £1.05 £20.45 waller02 Call  £0.40 £1.45 £9.13 Flop  Q 6 10    brotycon Bet  £0.40 £1.85 £20.05 waller02 Call  £0.40 £2.25 £8.73 Turn  9    brotycon Bet  £0.50 £2.75 £19.55 waller02 Call  £0.50 £3.25 £8.23 River  2    brotycon Bet  £3.25 £6.50 £16.30 waller02 Call  £3.25 £9.75 £4.98 brotycon Show A A    waller02 Muck K Q    brotycon Win Pair of Aces £9.01
    The 2 hands above are the biggest pots that I lost in what was a badly played losing session. As much as it pains me to say I am playing awful poker atm......and still on a major downswing in all formats of the game. It is having a big effect on my play, my confidence is zero. I get my chips in good and I lose, I dont know when I'm beat and I'm chasing without the odds when behind.

I have just had 2 week long breaks, I have dropped down the levels, played less tables, played more tables.........the 2 hands above I rightly lost it was awful poker, but when I play correctly it's still not happening for me.

8 weeks and counting.......how long can downswings last? It wasnt a big losing session but I havent ran deep or ft a tourney for a while either (not surprised if I play hands like the ones above, but I have played well occasionally lol)

I aint moaning or down about it, I still love poker, but it's hard sometimes haha

10nl
    Profit Today = -£6.16
    Overall Profit = +£7.85

Total Profit = -£257.86

Gl at the tables all

Sorry bout the bold and underlined text but it won't let me change it for some reason
  • edited November 2012
    this sounds familiar :( look m8 its hard, its depressing,you gotta keep the faith,you got the game,talk to your team mates they give you your confidence back
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: My Cash Battle.....Day 22.:
    this sounds familiar :( look m8 its hard, its depressing,you gotta keep the faith,you got the game,talk to your team mates they give you your confidence back
    Posted by stokefc
    This has to be the most depressing diary ever written haha.

I started it back when I was running good and wanted to start playing cash......I evidently can't play cash and the blooming diary has been a curse!!!!

I have got faith but playing with no confidence is worse than playing drunk imo........bit of a vicious cycle atm, can't win cos I have no confidence.......won't have any confidence til I win........

I'd like to think people going through a downswing can read this and think "oh well at least I aint as bad as him" so maybe there is silver lining to this thread!!!! haha

Oh well, Man City are out of the Champions League and Grimsby are top of the Conference so it aint all doom and gloom :)
  • edited November 2012
    I went through a 3 month downswing at mtts - tried everything and no change
    then for a month or so I went sideways
    then on sunday i binked the 5k roller for 2k and made it all back (shame scope missed that tournie)
    during my downswing i did spot aspects of my play to improve
    so now the downswing is over (for now at least) I am definitely playing better than before - even during my previous run good phase
    as long as you are learning - stick in there - just use BRM to stop it becoming too painful

glgl
  • edited November 2012
    hi Ryan,
    at least u have dropped back to nl10 which is good in as much as the losses won't kill you.
    yes it hurts when u lose but it happens mate,to us all.
    i remember going on a downswing back along that seemed to last for about 3 or 6 months.
    didn't matter what hands i went in with i just knew i was going to lose,even to 1 outers on the river.
    so we've all been there mate.
    i played less hours, entered freerolls and eventually things got back to normal.
    it's horrible but it will pass.
    also as i've said before,as long as u r playing with money you have previously won,which i'm sure you are,then don't be to hard on yourself.
    it's not easy to win playing cash,as a lot of the time just about everything is against you.
    the rake,the cards,the luck,etc,etc.
    Geldy is right,good brm will help you here.why not go another step...and play nl4 for a while.i know i would.why play at a level when you are not running well to put it mildly,playing awful as you have admitted yourself,and also with no confidence.
    don't get to down about it buddy...
    "it's not life and death...it's more important than that"  lols

(* *)
       "
    dev

• edited November 2012
    Just finished another session.....it was a losing one (no surprise there) but I did enjoy it. There were2 hands that defined my session really 99>JJ on a 9 high high flop.....and my biggest loss of the night that I am posting below.

Going to war with AQs looks spewy as but it wasn't a readless decision....the villain is a very loose and aggro player....loads of 3 bets, loads of 5x raises pre and I have seen him call for half his stack with j9off before too, so I 4bet and guess I then have to call off his 5 bet shove?????

I obv run into AK but given my reads I'd be interested to hear anyones views on the hand.....

x Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £13.97 BLUCHERBOY Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £10.01  Your hole cards A Q    waller02 Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £12.67 TINTIN Fold     x Raise  £1.05 £1.50 £12.92 BLUCHERBOY Fold     waller02 Raise  £4.00 £5.50 £8.67 x All-in  £12.92 £18.42 £0.00 waller02 All-in  £8.67 £27.09 £0.00 x Unmatched bet  £1.05 £26.04 £1.05 x Show A K    waller02 Show A Q    Flop  K Q 5    Turn  4    River  4    x Win Two Pairs, Kings and 4s £24.64
    I win this hand and I have a winning session...I aint too disheartened tonight :)

10nl
    Profit Today = -£7.10
    Overall Profit = +£0.75

Total Profit = -£264.96

Gl at the tables all
  • edited November 2012
    looks like you just got unlucky mate
    not that i'm any good at analyzing cash.

chin up mate,
    you can do it.

dev
  • edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: My Cash Battle.....Day 23.:
    looks like you just got unlucky mate not that i'm any good at analyzing cash. chin up mate, you can do it. dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    I'm not sure bout the hand....maybe flat the 3 bet but dunno. I'm flatting the 3 bet against most but not that villain
  • edited November 2012
    just a cooler - based on your reads np getting it aipf

had the same tonight when my button 3bet was cold 4bet by the sb - either super strong or super aggro - I chose the latter - it all went in and I lost a £100 pot AQ<AK

these things happen - well done not to let it annoy you. gl 

• edited November 2012
    In Response to Re: My Cash Battle.....Day 23.:
    In Response to Re: My Cash Battle.....Day 23. : I'm not sure bout the hand....maybe flat the 3 bet but dunno. I'm flatting the 3 bet against most but not that villain
    Posted by waller02
    think money was always going in either way.

dev
  • edited November 2012

Ok, I have found out where I have been going wrong.......I have been playing the wrong game!!!

As part of darntootins flops comp I played tonights omaha hilo mtt. I have probs only ever played omaha about 4 or 5 times in my life but I managed to win the tourney haha

I havent played any cash since my last post but I do feel as though the tide MAY be turning as I have also had some cashes in other mtts......min cashes but I will def take em after these past few weeks!!!

waller02720001£43.20
    Probs play some cash tomorrow...........Gl at the tables all :)

• edited November 2012
    I dunno what it is but I just aint got it atm lol

I have been BLEEDING money these past few weeks playing bad and running worse.......so with this in mind I have decided to withdraw most of my BR leaving myself with £300......2 reasons....

1. I have worked/played hard to spin a £30 deposit up to £1700 but to see it dwindling away is depressing. The reasons for this are variance, playing FAR too many sats (the introduction of the all in sats is pure evil as I CANNOT stop playing them for some reason lol) and most importantly I'm just not playing well. There is obv some issue with my game that needs addressing, I have read an interesting thread on poker books and I'm goin to read Kill Everyone......I need help.
    At the weekend I dipped below the £1000 mark and this was what made me decide to withdraw all but 300 quid.........because if I don't then I feel as though I could blow even more haha

2. I'm gonna use the money to have a GREAT Christmas with my family, treat ourselves to something nice. The missus wants a 3D telly so might invest in one.

Leaving the 300 quid in my account will help instill some much needed BRM and hopefully some focus back into my game........plus I will def lay off the all in sats. If I want to play a main event I will have ONE and ONLY ONE attempt at a sat :)

I don't know how long a break I am gonna have (knowing me I will be back by Friday) and I don't really know what the plan is when I start playing again....I will probs stick with 10nl and concentrate on the mini MTTS etc......

See you soon (probs in the orfordable on fri) and run good people.........
  • edited November 2012
    goodluck mate. i feel like doing the same atm. spun £100 to £1300 ish and have lost a bit today and yesterday (more then usual) and the only way for me to stop tiliting or if im running bad is to withdraw and re deposit in a few days when my head is clear :P gl
  • edited November 2012
      hi Ryan,
    good idea withdrawing and leaving £300 to play with i think.
    as u say,should get some brm back again.
    be nice if u did treat yourselves to a new tv 4 xmas.
    best wishes buddy,
    :)
    dev
  • edited November 2012
    Enjoy your break and come back refreshed. I've been reading your diary with interest and I felt for you reading about your losses. A smaller BR will help you focus and not fritter away your cash on numerous Sats. Good luck and enjoy your Xmas.
  • edited November 2012
    Gl mate have a break come back ready for it.  Just a bit of advise start back with some dyms and you can use the money you win in them to pay for your tournament entries.
  • edited November 2012
    enjoy your xmas waller and gl when you do comeback,start fresh and get back to your winning ways m8 as you will.

gl waller
  • edited November 2012
    u shouldnt be depressed altho u have lost 700 like u say that is really bad but just remember m8 u only put 30 deposit on so a massive roi its like a bink in a main event tonight think of it like that :) have a break and a great xmas come bk when fresh n when u want to play poker is not going anywhere i cut my hrs right down play 4-5 hrs a day now
  • edited December 2012

Right, I am back after a break.

I thought about what I was  planning to do pokerwise once I started playing again and I decided that I just wanna have fun again.

Poker is my hobby, I'm not pro, never gonna be pro so if I'm not having fun whilst playing then it's not a hobby.....why play??? I hate fishing so I wouldn't go and sit on my backside on riverbank for hours upon end......so why play poker when I'm not enjoying it either.

Plan = I'm going to knock cash on the head for a while (probs for the rest of the month), I'm a losing cash player and don't seem to be improving. I'm only ever going to have ONE attempt at a sat for a main event. Finally I'm just going to play small stakes MTTs. I love these, always have and it's the only format of the game where I show any profit.

I'm also going to be playing a lot less. I was playing far too much and I think this contributed to my play becoming worse.....I lost focus.

Anyway....after taking money out and starting from £300 it will help with brm, playing small stakes MTTs will also mean the beats wont hurt and I'm getting more play for my money. If I cash it's a bonus although strangely thats not a priority right now....

Started playing last night with no success, today I managed to sat into the primo semi again with no joy but I have had 2 cashes to "stop the rot" (for now)......but I don't feel under pressure anymore and I'm having fun :)

Mini Primo
    waller0209£34.50

£500BH
    waller02033£2.59 + £3.91 Head Prizes4
    Starting BR = £300
    Current BR = £307.49

Gl at the tables all
  • edited December 2012
    I saw the highlights on the ME BH on tonight's show and didn't you come 2nd, pretty sick lol.

Nice cash,
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Back to basics......£300 quid -?????:
    I saw the highlights on the ME BH on tonight's show and didn't you come 2nd, pretty sick lol. Nice cash,
    Posted by Lambert180
    you might be premature with you congrats, as it was waller03.

any relation?
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Back to basics......£300 quid -????? : you might be premature with you congrats, as it was waller03. any relation?
    Posted by TINTIN
    Yeah i saw this. Wrong waller lambert lol
  • edited December 2012
    Best of luck to you Ryan, I've said it on this forum many times before; playing too many sats is -ev, just do the maths and work out the hidden rake for a reality check. The higher buy-ins mean a bigger part of ME fields are now getting there via the sat route, that's great for the site as they earn at least twice as much rake per seat compared to a direct buy-in, but it's not such good for the players, particularly those who get afflicted by 'satellite fever'. Your better off saving up what you would have spent in satellite entries for one direct buy-in imo.

PS +2 to 'cash is disgusting' ;)
  • edited December 2012
    I saw the highlights on the ME BH on tonight's show and didn't you come 2nd, pretty sick lol. Nice cash,
    Posted by Lambert180
    What a rubdown!!!

The guy is no relation......what makes it worse is that I'm not even the best waller on here anymore haha
  • edited December 2012
    Best of luck to you Ryan, I've said it on this forum many times before; playing too many sats is -ev, just do the maths and work out the hidden rake for a reality check. The higher buy-ins mean a bigger part of ME fields are now getting there via the sat route, that's great for the site as they earn at least twice as much rake per seat compared to a direct buy-in, but it's not such good for the players, particularly those who get afflicted by 'satellite fever'. Your better off saving up what you would have spent in satellite entries for one direct buy-in imo. PS +2 to 'cash is disgusting' ;)
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    agree 100%

the ukops sats destroyed me along with the all in sats........def the main cause of my decreasing br!!!
  • edited December 2012
    Tonight was DTD night, always a top laugh.

DTD1 was a pretty uneventful fail. I got off to a good start in DTD3 but lost momentum in the mid stages and busted after limping in the small blind with A5 in a 4 way pot and getting the lot in on an A4J8 board after a shove from the villain holding A4......poor play by myself, I only had around 15bb so it was shove or fold pre flop but I obv choose the worst option and rightly got punished lol

Managed to cash in DTD2 though finishing in 11th place....just shy of the ladder ups :( Was seriously shortstacked and got the chips in pre with K10 and losing to 89....I had no fold equity at this stage so can't fault the call. I guess I need to start widening my shoving range at this stage of tournaments but there were 3 of us with similar stacks and I was hoping for action elsewhere to try and ladder up.....not great I know lol

DTD2
    waller02011£2.22

Also played the mini BH without success.

Had a fun night though........thanks as always to Chris and Michael for another great monday night :)

Starting BR = £300
    Current BR = £298.71
  • edited December 2012
    I have decided to stop doing this diary for a few reasons......

1. It was started to help me keep a record of my cash play. I have stopped playing cash for now cos I obv can't play it!!!!!

2. Now i'm only playing mtt's and since withdrawing and starting again at 300 quid, I feel that there is no point in posting my progress anymore.....I have no target and the thread will (probably has already) become very dull.

3. In the new year I will be an active member of Team Diamond again and keeping track of my ACTUAL br will become quite difficult.

Anyway as a last hurrah I bought into the main event (strongbow induced)....I cashed as well as cashing in the mini......at one point I was 1st in the main and 2nd in the mini but as always happens with me I faded away :)

So, for the last time...........results

10kBH

waller02031£37.73 + £75.63 Head Prizes4
    MiniBH

waller02024£9.99 + £18.14 Head Prizes6

Starting BR = £300
    Current BR = £383.12

Pretty gutted that I couldn't make some money playing cash but when people say that it's a different beast they are DEF right.

Cheers to anyone who read or chipped in with some advice......run well all :)
  • edited December 2012
    hey m8 I never posted much but just like to say I did enjoy reading your diary like I do with most on the forum.

I like to say is don`t give up on the cash altogether it took me ages to start getting results, at first I was doin well in mtts and then donking off at cash tables.

Now it`s complete opposite I win at cash and use some of my profit to play satellites and play some mtts and just waste money lol just can`t win an mtt and can`t keep blaming it on getting ul at crucial points all the time I must be doin something wrong but after xmas new year i`m going to play more mtts and try to improve.

one final thing look to buy a poker book which is based purely on cash I have all the harrington holdem books and feel they defo improved my game especially the cash ones.

but best of luck at the tables and hope to see you with a goal/target and diary soon again

liamboi11
  • edited December 2012
    In Response to Re: Back to basics......End of diary:
    hey m8 I never posted much but just like to say I did enjoy reading your diary like I do with most on the forum. I like to say is don`t give up on the cash altogether it took me ages to start getting results, at first I was doin well in mtts and then donking off at cash tables. Now it`s complete opposite I win at cash and use some of my profit to play satellites and play some mtts and just waste money lol just can`t win an mtt and can`t keep blaming it on getting ul at crucial points all the time I must be doin something wrong but after xmas new year i`m going to play more mtts and try to improve. one final thing look to buy a poker book which is based purely on cash I have all the harrington holdem books and feel they defo improved my game especially the cash ones. but best of luck at the tables and hope to see you with a goal/target and diary soon again liamboi11
    Posted by liamboi11
    cheers m8.

Just don't feel like playing cash atm....had a bit of beginners luck but losing session after session tells me something isn't right, wasn't fun!

Not really into poker at all right now (probs due to a 3 month downswing). I only have 225 poker points so far this month which is the lowest I have had for bout 2yrs. Just playing the odd mtt here and there and trying to "find the love" again lol.

As for books, Santa is bringing me Kill Everyone which I have heard is a good read...here's to the new yr.

Thanks for your post.......have a good christmas :)
  • edited December 2012
    yeah m8 hope you have a good xmas and new year aswell