You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited December 2013
    Well I played the rebuys tonight. Badly.
    Dym's went well and after my horror night a couple of weeks back, I'm now back to where I was with them. 9.0% Roi looks way prettier than 8.9%
    Lost around £40 in total (did a few rebuys) so not the end of the world.
    For fear of sounding like Gazza, I really feel I should have a rest. Obviously this is unlikely to happen but the idea of a relaxing few weeks up to New Year sounds good.
    I kind of set myself a target each month and after a good night of cash at the weekend, I'm not far away from that right now. Maybe play live a few times and leave it at that. Hmm, prob won't happen.

• edited December 2013
    Wow, that's a great gesture from Sky!! Much deserved IMO, yourself and a few others deserve a little reward for the consistently entertaining diaries and in your case, hilariously sarky comments you post. Shame you have to spend it on a tooth rather than a little treat but hey-ho.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Wow, that's a great gesture from Sky!! Much deserved IMO, yourself and a few others deserve a little reward for the consistently entertaining diaries and in your case, hilariously sarky comments you post. Shame you have to spend it on a tooth rather than a little treat but hey-ho.
    Posted by SJspanky1
    Sorry SJspanky. I'm in daft mood tonight. Thought I'd do a quick test to see if anyone was reading.
    Made it all up. :)

Thought I'd better remove it in case it got me into any trouble.
    Would have been nice though!
  • edited December 2013
    And there was me believing everything you wrote just like that.

I am so naive.

And whats wrong with sounding like me anyway?  You already stole a similar thread title ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Haha, wonder how many people typed birthday into the promo code? 

• edited December 2013
    And there was me believing everything you wrote just like that. I am so naive. And whats wrong with sounding like me anyway?  You already stole a similar thread title ;)
    Posted by gazza127
    Thought things came in threes.

So
    1 - sound like Gazza [X ]
    2 - thread name like Gazza [X ]
    3 - do some crushings like Gazza [ ]

B*gger!

• edited December 2013
    Now you're a free agent, wanna start a team up? 

We could call ourselves the Troll Hunters, or something equally witty ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Now you're a free agent, wanna start a team up?  We could call ourselves the Troll Hunters, or something equally witty ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Standard Friday night out.
  • edited December 2013
    I'll be fatter than Penny soon.

Curry last night with Parenting class people.
    Curry tonight for my birthday.
    Curry tomorrow for my Aunts birthday.

Fortunately, I quite like curry.

Definitely not going to play today.
    Last year I posted something like.
    "I wasn't going to play today because it's my birthday and I don't want to lose on my birthday. I did play today and I lost on my birthday"
    So this year, to ensure that I don't lose on my birthday. I'm not going to play on my birthday.

By the way
    Does anyone know Peter Finch? Been trying to get hold of me about something. :)
    (I know that at least Larson will get that) 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Sorry SJspanky. I'm in daft mood tonight. Thought I'd do a quick test to see if anyone was reading. Made it all up. :) Thought I'd better remove it in case it got me into any trouble. Would have been nice though!
    Posted by Jac35

any ideas how many posts you delete? 20% maybe?
    thought your birthday present was too good to be true

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : any ideas how many posts you delete? 20% maybe? thought your birthday present was too good to be true
    Posted by GELDY
    Lol
    The posts I make when drunk do occasionally get deleted.
    The odd one when I've been a little mischievous get binned as well.
    Sky can be quite  strict and sometimes I may be a little naughty with my posts and feel it's safer to just remove them. 

You do seem to tell me off a lot geldy.
  • edited December 2013
  • edited December 2013
    Love curry! :)
    Posted by Lambert180
    Lol
    Rather worryingly, after seeing Emmas blog, it would appear that we have similar diets, Paul :)
    Well done on the recent tourney binks by the way
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Paul I've caught up with your thread today (ignoring the Derby County bits). As you know there will always be a welcome from TPT if you ever decide to rejoin. Good luck for the future.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Lol The posts I make when drunk do occasionally get deleted. The odd one when I've been a little mischievous get binned as well. Sky can be quite  strict and sometimes I may be a little naughty with my posts and feel it's safer to just remove them.  You do seem to tell me off a lot geldy.
    Posted by Jac35
    i never would - unless you've had WAY too much to drink at a cash table (or when you say you answer all posts and then ignore mine!)
    any implied criticism from my post must be a reflection of your thin skin
    i do enjoy them for the fleeting moments they are there
    and would like to see you keeping that percentage as high as possible
    without getting forum banned, of course
  • edited December 2013
    Happy birthday pal. Enjoy your night and curry.
  • edited December 2013
    Happy Birthday young man!
  • edited December 2013
    I only wish I'll be able to ramble half as well as you can when im your age.

Happy Birthday ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks for birthday wishes guys.

Well, it's been a wild night out. Back home and Mrs J tired and tucked up in bed.
    I'm determined not to play today  and so I think i'll potter around the forum for a while and drone on a bit like normal.

I do like it here. I think the forum is really good. Someone earlier today said  the main reason that they play on Sky is due to the forum. I'm kind of the same. I think it's better then ever right now. It has ups and downs off course. A few months ago, I think it was struggling with a lot of rowing. In general though, it's tremendous.

There was a thread the other day that I think showed off the qualities on here. The one about disconnects. There were plenty of different points of view expressed in the thread. To me though, there were no rows. Everyone respected others opinions and it was a discussion.

I always like reading the first post made in potential new diaries. First impressions do count and you soon get an idea of whether you may enjoy something or not. Nothing against the diaries  thatpurely post hand histories or chart profits or losses but I do prefer the ones which involve some life stuff. I enjoyed Pokernoons opening to his thread. He's made a great start. I liked how he asked a question in another thread and whilst not totally agreeing with people was very reasoned with his responses.
    I think Tikay said he would have been torn to bits on other forums. I hope not. The way people go about things dictates how people will respond. There have been some new posters who have just tried to shitstir and that's why they quickly get shot down. I regretfully get involved in this sometimes, wish I didn't but get exasperated when people just try to cause trouble.
    That reminds me. Harry, I guess you would have to be Captain. I'm not a patch on you with the putdowns!

• edited December 2013
    Wild night out?
    Its only 1045, signs you're getting old ! lol
  • edited December 2013
    Thanks for birthday wishes guys. Well, it's been a wild night out. Back home and Mrs J tired and tucked up in bed. I'm determined not to play today  and so I think i'll potter around the forum for a while and drone on a bit like normal. I do like it here. I think the forum is really good. Someone earlier today said  the main reason that they play on Sky is due to the forum. I'm kind of the same. I think it's better then ever right now. It has ups and downs off course. A few months ago, I think it was struggling with a lot of rowing. In general though, it's tremendous. There was a thread the other day that I think showed off the qualities on here. The one about disconnects. There were plenty of different points of view expressed in the thread. To me though, there were no rows. Everyone respected others opinions and it was a discussion. I always like reading the first post made in potential new diaries. First impressions do count and you soon get an idea of whether you may enjoy something or not. Nothing against the diaries  thatpurely post hand histories or chart profits or losses but I do prefer the ones which involve some life stuff. I enjoyed Pokernoons opening to his thread. He's made a great start. I liked how he asked a question in another thread and whilst not totally agreeing with people was very reasoned with his responses. I think Tikay said he would have been torn to bits on other forums. I hope not. The way people go about things dictates how people will respond. There have been some new posters who have just tried to shitstir and that's why they quickly get shot down. I regretfully get involved in this sometimes, wish I didn't but get exasperated when people just try to cause trouble. That reminds me. Harry, I guess you would have to be Captain. I'm not a patch on you with the putdowns!
    Posted by Jac35
    Sigh.

Merry Christmas x
  • edited December 2013
    Lucky lad!

After 30 mins of playing today, I was £84 down
    Played as bad as I can remember, ran equally bad
    Then
    Played as bad as I can remember, ran stupidly well to win my last 4 games.
    £4 down,switch off, try again tomorrow.

Aunts birthday thing went well!
    Seems no one told her it was tonight. Oops
    Doing a Sunday dinner thing with her instead tomorrow.

That means pub tonight. So, not all bad.

Rams are going up.
    Probably sign Neymar in January for final push.
  • edited December 2013
    Lucky lad! After 30 mins of playing today, I was £84 down Played as bad as I can remember, ran equally bad Then Played as bad as I can remember, ran stupidly well to win my last 4 games. £4 down,switch off, try again tomorrow. ..... Aunts birthday thing went well! Seems no one told her it was tonight. Oops Doing a Sunday dinner thing with her instead tomorrow. ..... That means pub tonight. So, not all bad. ...... Rams are going up. Probably sign Neymar in January for final push.
    Posted by Jac35
    not our Neymar you won't
    excuse for another curry eh
    enjoy
  • edited December 2013
    So I read the first page of this journal, and the last page (I'm not disimilar with books, in fairness).

I agree with Tikay back on the first page. I like reading about all the real life stuff. I'm the same as you - hand histories and complaints about bad beats - there's only so much you want to read about all that.

It's more fun and interesting to interact with real people, and get a flavour for people's lives beyond obsessing over imaginary cards on a computer screen.

I also find the Sky 'naughty word' filter to be somewhat draconian too. The number of times it says 'remove this word before posting'...or maybe that says more about my level of offensiveness.

Anyway thanks for the big up about my journal, and I'll keep an eye on this one.
  • edited December 2013
    So I read the first page of this journal, and the last page (I'm not disimilar with books, in fairness). I agree with Tikay back on the first page. I like reading about all the real life stuff. I'm the same as you - hand histories and complaints about bad beats - there's only so much you want to read about all that. It's more fun and interesting to interact with real people, and get a flavour for people's lives beyond obsessing over imaginary cards on a computer screen. I also find the Sky 'naughty word' filter to be somewhat draconian too. The number of times it says 'remove this word before posting'...or maybe that says more about my level of offensiveness. Anyway thanks for the big up about my journal, and I'll keep an eye on this one.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Thanks Pokernoon.
    Yes, you have to be creative with words sometimes on here :)
  • edited December 2013
    Well, that's a bit frustrating.
    Had an absolute nightmare with the Dyms earlier and tilt bought into a few comps.
    Failed in a couple of sats for the primo earlier. 
    And so, it became an expensive buy in when I decided to reg direct anyway.
    Also played the £22 deepstack and the mini.
    Deepstack with 9 left and 5 paid I called a shove bvb with Ace 6 spades. He had 10 J. Ace on river gave him the straight to crippple me. (Amazing that word isn't allowed)

Mini had good chips and got it all in on flop J high flop with QQ. He had Ace Jack. Jack on turn. GG

Primo
    60 left AK spades in BB. SJspanky who was playing really well, raised.
    I 3 bet and he shoved. Called it off and he had 10 10.
    Flopped the King. 10 on river smarted a bit. Would have put me in 2nd place.

Down to around 5000 after that. doubled up and then 3bet shoved against another short stacks button open with KQ.
    He had KJ and hit his J on turn. 
    Bit of a shame as it was a bigger comp than I normally buy in for on here. Had plenty of luck earlier though so nothing to complain about.
    So, no £7000 this time and £50 down on the night.
    B,ugger ( won't let me have that one either)
  • edited December 2013
    Just to add on from last post.

I'm really pleased with how I played tonight. A few things went against me but I made the right decisions.
    That's all you can do and the rest us up to the gods. Probably why I'm not too despondent about how I bust. There's nothing more frustrating than getting in to good position and then blowing up stupidly.

I think a lot was to do with the increased buy in. I took it more seriously. Now obviously I should be doing that anyway but the truth is I don't always.  I felt really comfortable at the table and would love to play more of the bigger events on Sky. Only problem is, I can't really justify it right now with life expenses. Anybody who wants to stake a mediocre old bloke who runs bad, feel free to PM me. :)

It was funny. When the two hands at the end of the primo went badly for me, there were a couple of comments. I had put the usual stuff like "nh" in the chat box  and when someone apologised just replied with "np, it happens".
    Then someone said "you're taking it really well" and another "you run awful Jac" one was interesting, someone who had been knocked out earlier, presumably by me wrote "now you know what it feels like Jac" to which I replied "thanks for your input"

Well, there's no other way to take it is there? No point screaming and shouting. Rueful smile, make the right comment at the table and then go in search of the cat.
  • edited December 2013
    Just to add on from last post. I'm really pleased with how I played tonight. A few things went against me but I made the right decisions. That's all you can do and the rest us up to the gods. Probably why I'm not too despondent about how I bust. There's nothing more frustrating than getting in to good position and then blowing up stupidly. I think a lot was to do with the increased buy in. I took it more seriously. Now obviously I should be doing that anyway but the truth is I don't always.  I felt really comfortable at the table and would love to play more of the bigger events on Sky. Only problem is, I can't really justify it right now with life expenses. Anybody who wants to stake a mediocre old bloke who runs bad, feel free to PM me. :) It was funny. When the two hands at the end of the primo went badly for me, there were a couple of comments. I had put the usual stuff like "nh" in the chat box  and when someone apologised just replied with "np, it happens". Then someone said "you're taking it really well" and another "you run awful Jac" one was interesting, someone who had been knocked out earlier, presumably by me wrote "now you know what it feels like Jac" to which I replied "thanks for your input" Well, there's no other way to take it is there? No point screaming and shouting. Rueful smile, make the right comment at the table and then go in search of the cat.
    Posted by Jac35

Well done in rising above the chatbox shenanigans last night Jac. That fella seemed to take great exception to your ability to repeatedly river sets of 8's!! He obviously seemed to think it was a form of justice that I binked against you in the same manner. He needs to understand that we all make our decisions, get our money in with varying degrees of equity and then leave it to the Poker Gods to determine our fate. Cruel Gods they can be too...

I totally get what you mean about taking the Tourney more seriously and thus playing/perfoming better with an increased buy-in. My results in the Mini's are well inferior to the Main's. I think I tend to stack off a lot lighter or it may well be that the structure's force me to. I dunno, one to ponder.

Anyway, very well played last night. It seems to me that you certainly have the skill set to do well in the "bigger"  tourneys so you need to be at least trying to SAT in regularly IMHO. Alternatively you could always get JJ to stake you, you'd make a fine thoroughbred to add to his stable!!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Well done in rising above the chatbox shenanigans last night Jac. That fella seemed to take great exception to your ability to repeatedly river sets of 8's!! He obviously seemed to think it was a form of justice that I binked against you in the same manner. He needs to understand that we all make our decisions, get our money in with varying degrees of equity and then leave it to the Poker Gods to determine our fate. Cruel Gods they can be too... I totally get what you mean about taking the Tourney more seriously and thus playing/perfoming better with an increased buy-in. My results in the Mini's are well inferior to the Main's. I think I tend to stack off a lot lighter or it may well be that the structure's force me to. I dunno, one to ponder. Anyway, very well played last night. It seems to me that you certainly have the skill set to do well in the "bigger"  tourneys so you need to be at least trying to SAT in regularly IMHO. Alternatively you could always get JJ to stake you, you'd make a fine thoroughbred to add to his stable!!
    Posted by SJspanky1
    Revenge for the wind up the other day :)
    I checked the result earlier. 
    Pleased you put the chips to good use. Well done mate. Great result. 

Yep, I got there a couple of times myself on the river and so no good complaining, when it goes the other way.

He was an interesting chap.  Non stop in the chat box.  "Typical Sky river" "I'm so unlucky" all that sort of bollockks. I always think it so odd that people then stay and rail after being knocked out just so they can then give a rub down to the someone when they go.

I seem to be hopeless at sats these days. 
    Need to put some work in there because the bigger buy ins are so much fun.
  • edited December 2013

I used to like these names for stuff in poker

Reraising
    Spiking a card
    Playing 50/1
    Backraising
    Rock
    Completing
    High stakes poker

Not so sure I like these 

3betting
    Bink