You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Adam Got your PM Can't respond at moment, on iPad. When I get the laptop going later tonight, I'll PM you.
    Posted by Jac35
    Sent you a PM back mate...it will either come through three times or not at all lol - let me know which.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Oh, that would be a shame. To be honest,  it was actually a poor attempt at taking the p!ss regarding Harrys diary :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Sigh. 

Forum ban please Sky. ASAP.
  • edited December 2013

£1.13 down tonight
    See, I do post losses!

Gentle night. Took a couple of heads in the £11 BH and got close to the cash but just came up short. At least there were no silly mistakes. Same guy beat me up 3 hands on the trot. Totally standard last hand 99 on button, he shoved from the SB. Obv had 10's. Yet another example of Sky favouring certain players  :)

Fancied something different and regged a Omaha Dym. I had pretty much no idea what I was doing but got lucky and cashed. Gerard was on there. His Roi is just crazy. 17.5% over a 5000+ game sample.
    Had some good banter with him and JockBMW. Although, I was a little disappointed that they didn't  help out during the game when I was asking for advice!

God knows how you can multitable Omaha let alone the thing that Tikay is playing. Took me most of my timebar just to work out what I had. 10 table normal Dyms's, no problem. Give me 1 tourney and a Omaha Dym and I'm in trouble.
    Not sure playing both holdem and Omaha at the same time is a great idea.

100% finished for the year now. No pokes tomorrow.
    Curry with Wife, Mum, Sister and her family. Pack the women off to bed early and then have a couple of drinks watching TV. Shirley Airplane will be on again this year?

Happy New Year

• edited December 2013
    Watched "My Special Day" this afternoon.
    I'm so soft. Tears in my eyes watching this brave little lad see his heroes at Chelsea.
    I have a pretty low opinion of John Terry but he was fantastic in this.
    Really good programme.

I hardly watch "Secret Millionaire" now because it's so difficult to get through sometimes. I thought Feldman getting stick on the forums was a bit harsh after he did it. Not the most likeable character but on this occasion maybe give him some credit. 
  • edited December 2013
    The Devils Advocate
    Sympathy for the Devil
    Devil Inside

Any more? 
  • edited January 2014
    Devil in your shoes.
  • edited January 2014
    Devil in your shoes.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    How could I miss Shed Seven!

The Devil wears Prada one of your favourites, Harry?
  • edited January 2014
    I've decided to have a go at the promotion.
    I'll probably give it up before too long but you never know. Made just over 800 reward points today. Don't know where that would put me and so it will be interesting when the tables go up.

Start of the year and I've decided to give myself an initial £500 bankroll and see what happens. Will replenish if need be. Hopefully won't need to.

After day 1, I've had a high of £570 and a low of £390. Now sitting on £507.

Decided to play the £20 Dym's as my standard game. A little bit because I've been annoyed at having a minus ROI in them up top now. It's really shown the need for real volume to be able to ascertain how you're doing at a stake. I've hardly played any in my 2 years on here, as opposed to thousands of games at other stakes. I've run well in them so far and my ROI has gone from -4.4% to +3.3%. As I said, you need a lot of games at a stake to get a true picture.

Managed to maintain my -100% ROI at the £30's. Don't think they're for me :(
    Only played 5 and I've decided that Sky obviously favour the regular players at this stake! Hitting a set of Kings against Queens AINPF was still far from being enough for me to win the hand.

Played some cash as well. What do you kids call it? 30NL 40NL and a bit of 50NL tonight. It was odd last night. Seemed to lose a buyin every other hand on all my tables bar one. Couldn't miss on there and was sitting with around £260 when I left it.

Less said about the tourneys tonight the better. Plenty of rebuys and got absolutely nowhere in any of them.

Mighty Rams were pisspoor (finally found something that beats the filters) today. Awful game. Wigan were horrible. Goal was a screamer though.
    Thought we were going to sign Kompany today. Probably waiting till later in the month. Bamfords meant to be decent though. So, he'll do for starters.
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Paul

Happy New Year

Good luck with the promo, if you made 800 today you are well on your way.

I reckon 13-14k should be enough to win in the promo, if you stack at it, you definatly have a great chance.

Oh, Samaras is available as well, could be some shrewd business there!
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Paul Happy New Year Good luck with the promo, if you made 800 today you are well on your way. I reckon 13-14k should be enough to win in the promo, if you stack at it, you definatly have a great chance. Oh, Samaras is available as well, could be some shrewd business there!
    Posted by LARSON7
    Cheers Larson

Doubt 13-14k will be enough to be honest.
    You can keep Samaras. Unless you want to swap him for Sammon? :)
    Or if you have some pretty corner flags and shiny boots? we could swap him for those.

Think the promotion is going to be tough. Put a bit of volume in today. Only 290 points though. Think i'll find myself a fair way down the leaderboard tomorrow. Think I may have to make the top ten cuz the freeroll is on the day Pens due. Think I may have to take her for a curry earlier that week.

Got it the right way round tonight. Won at the £20's and lost a few of the £10's I played. Dirty beat on Mr Bromley when I shoved over his sb raise with mighty Q3. Ooops, he had Jacks. Nevermind, makes up for him knocking me out of that tourney the other week. Hmmm, actualy, maybe not. He won over a grand and I won £40.

Didn't touch the horrible £30 games.
    ROI in the £20's now up to 7.7%. Which is much more agreeable. Just another 1000 games to see whether I can beat them!
    Bankroll now up to £584.67

Off to pub
  • edited January 2014
    3rd day having a go at the promotion.
    Doubt I'm going to be able last the pace. Got just under 300 points yesterday and dropped from 4th to 12th. Hopefully recovered a bit today. A smidge over 600 points before midnight. Won't be able to play tomorrow as away for the night with Mrs J.
    Looking at some of the names that have hit the leaderboard, it's going to be really tough. Enjoying it though for the moment (you always do when you win). Getting more familiar now with the £20 regs and notes are starting to help. Bit of rungood today and a bit of runbad. Number of games helps even it out. Put another beat on Bromley. He's going to fall out with me soon.

It's a bit like looking at the football tables a week into the season but nice all the same to see myself on 3 different sharkscope leaderboards.

Played a tiny bit of cash earlier today. Nice to make £39 in 20 mins! Hit everything.

Going well so far with bankroll up to £672.51. Nice that it gives me a bit of a buffer for when I have a bad day, which will come soon enough.

I think a few people were talking to me on the tables. If you're reading this, I wasn't ignoring you babes01 and YouMad. Just couldn't keep up with chat with the number of tables I was playing. Made a couple of mistakes due to multitabling. Managed to 4 bet all in 1st level with 10 2, in a £20, gg me. Also shoved 1st hand over a limper with 6 2. Fortunately that time no one had anything. Got disco-ed right at the end of the session which was annoying but managed to get back on quickly enough.

Off to Lincoln tomorrow. Going to the Cathedral and Castle. Staying in a good looking hotel. Last chance we'll get to be away on our own and so looking forward to it.
    Obviously getting back in time to see us cruise through to the 4th round. Hazard will probably be left out as he's likely to be joining us after the game.
  • edited January 2014
    3rd day having a go at the promotion. Doubt I'm going to be able last the pace. Got just under 300 points yesterday and dropped from 4th to 12th. Hopefully recovered a bit today. A smidge over 600 points before midnight. Won't be able to play tomorrow as away for the night with Mrs J. Looking at some of the names that have hit the leaderboard, it's going to be really tough. Enjoying it though for the moment (you always do when you win). Getting more familiar now with the £20 regs and notes are starting to help. Bit of rungood today and a bit of runbad. Number of games helps even it out. Put another beat on Bromley. He's going to fall out with me soon. It's a bit like looking at the football tables a week into the season but nice all the same to see myself on 3 different sharkscope leaderboards. Played a tiny bit of cash earlier today. Nice to make £39 in 20 mins! Hit everything. Going well so far with bankroll up to £672.51. Nice that it gives me a bit of a buffer for when I have a bad day, which will come soon enough. I think a few people were talking to me on the tables. If you're reading this, I wasn't ignoring you babes01 and YouMad. Just couldn't keep up with chat with the number of tables I was playing. Made a couple of mistakes due to multitabling. Managed to 4 bet all in 1st level with 10 2, in a £20, gg me. Also shoved 1st hand over a limper with 6 2. Fortunately that time no one had anything. Got disco-ed right at the end of the session which was annoying but managed to get back on quickly enough. .... Off to Lincoln tomorrow. Going to the Cathedral and Castle. Staying in a good looking hotel. Last chance we'll get to be away on our own and so looking forward to it. Obviously getting back in time to see us cruise through to the 4th round. Hazard will probably be left out as he's likely to be joining us after the game.
    Posted by Jac35

Won't take it personally...
    Good luck with the promo

• edited January 2014

Staggered at all the negativity recently.

We've got the Winter Wonderland freeroll on Sunday. It's a fantastic promotion. I would imagine that Sky have made very little out of it as it was very gentle to qualify.

The Truth or Dare stuff just became ridiculous.
    A free seat and rather than a 'thankyou, great gesture Sky' there was a load of nonsense posted.
    Congratulations to DoubleAAA. I'm sure he'll be a credit to Sky at Nottingham and seems a really likeable gentleman.

The PS4 promotion is also great. Off course Sky will do very well out of it regarding rake but what an incentive to put a bit of effort in at the start of the year. Again though, lots of moaning. I read something like "I made priority in 10 days last month, what a waste of time and effort" Get a grip. I'm sure you rakeback was excellent at the end of the month and it would be very surprising if there isn't a really good promotion for priority members on the way.

No matter what you do some people will never be happy

• edited January 2014
    Staggered at all the negativity recently. We've got the Winter Wonderland freeroll on Sunday. It's a fantastic promotion. I would imagine that Sky have made very little out of it as it was very gentle to qualify. The Truth or Dare stuff just became ridiculous. A free seat and rather than a 'thankyou, great gesture Sky' there was a load of nonsense posted. Congratulations to DoubleAAA. I'm sure he'll be a credit to Sky at Nottingham and seems a really likeable gentleman. The PS4 promotion is also great. Off course Sky will do very well out of it regarding rake but what an incentive to put a bit of effort in at the start of the year. Again though, lots of moaning. I read something like "I made priority in 10 days last month, what a waste of time and effort" Get a grip. I'm sure you rakeback was excellent at the end of the month and it would be very surprising if there isn't a really good promotion for priority members on the way. No matter what you do some people will never be happy
    Posted by Jac35
    ...which the small-ball players will moan about.
  • edited January 2014
    Fall out with you Paul...never ;) Just please let me win one before you beat the £20's and move up to the £30's!

Good to see Derbyshire dropping some points. It's gonna be a battle for those top 2 spots. I just hope we have a team left at the end of this month.
  • edited January 2014
    Fall out with you Paul...never ;) Just please let me win one before you beat the £20's and move up to the £30's! .... Good to see Derbyshire dropping some points. It's gonna be a battle for those top 2 spots. I just hope we have a team left at the end of this month.
    Posted by bromley04
    Word in your ear, Adam. With all your winnings, can you go buy Natalie some decent clothes, please?

I actually saw her out shopping last week, in this shop.....

It's time she moved up, I suggest, to these people.....

Oh, & do pass on my best regards to her, please.

• edited January 2014
    Staggered at all the negativity recently. We've got the Winter Wonderland freeroll on Sunday. It's a fantastic promotion. I would imagine that Sky have made very little out of it as it was very gentle to qualify. The Truth or Dare stuff just became ridiculous. A free seat and rather than a 'thankyou, great gesture Sky' there was a load of nonsense posted. Congratulations to DoubleAAA. I'm sure he'll be a credit to Sky at Nottingham and seems a really likeable gentleman. The PS4 promotion is also great. Off course Sky will do very well out of it regarding rake but what an incentive to put a bit of effort in at the start of the year. Again though, lots of moaning. I read something like "I made priority in 10 days last month, what a waste of time and effort" Get a grip. I'm sure you rakeback was excellent at the end of the month and it would be very surprising if there isn't a really good promotion for priority members on the way. No matter what you do some people will never be happy
    Posted by Jac35
    Glad I was not the only one, it was so depressing, the sense of entitlement so many feel is so hard to come to terms with. I can only assume these folk have never worked in commerce.  

I just had to steer clear of the Community for a few days, I don't come to forums to see non-stop chuntering, poker is supposed to be a recreational hobby - you know, fun.

There'll be another Promo along shortly, you can bet on that, & it'll all kick off again. You can bet on that, too.

Anyway, look after the good lady, & enjoy Lincoln (the Catherdral is magnificent, you can see the spire for miles), & mind you don't bump into young Ben Nuttall, think he lives out that way somewhere. He took all my NLH DYM money a few years back, you know. I'll never forgive him.  

• edited January 2014
    Hey Paul!

On a public forum you will get a bit of everything, the good the bad and the ugly.

On here it is mostly good, but you will always get silly/ confontaional posts.

There was a fair bit of trolling last month, thing is when you respond to the "trolls" you are just feeding them.

It's what they thrive off, best to just let them talk to themselves and ignore them.

Outside of trolls, healthy debate is good as long as it is kept friendly.

Not everyone is going to agree on the same issue, as long as all parties act in an appropriate manner, respect each other/ refrain from being abusive then discussing issues is all good, whether it be a promotion or anything else.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Word in your ear, Adam. With all your winnings, can you go buy Natalie some decent clothes, please? I actually saw her out shopping last week, in this shop..... It's time she moved up, I suggest, to these people..... Oh, & do pass on my best regards to her, please.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    She's coming after you Tikay...be afraid...be very afraid!

Now stop derailing this lovely diary ;)
  • edited January 2014
    Well I think Tony G (who I don't care much for) would probably say something like..
    "Jac, you lack the heart and commitment"

Didn't play at all yesterday and thought I would settle down for a good 8 hour slog tonight. 2 hours in, I get a text
    "pub?"
    I'm weak. I go, even though I'm running well. Came back 4 pints to the good and settled in for a 6 hour session. 2 hours in and I've had enough for the night.

Got 2172 points now, which is great but going to be a long way short of where I need to be when I see the leaderboard tomorrow.

I'll keep going but think it's very unlikely i'll make the top 10.

I really admire the likes of Dontellmum etc. I just can't do it.
    Things come up and I want to do them instead.
    No work tomorrow and so I've decided on a bit of golf. Got to be in morning as I'm at dentists again in the afternoon (another basstard £250) Just rather do these sort of things rather than play poker all day long.
  • edited January 2014
    lol well ya got more points then me m8 but i didnt play the 1st 3 days 

so i done a 34 hr session in over the weekend im only on 1.8k :/
  • edited January 2014
    Now the brag bit
    Since I deposited the £500 on the 1st, it's gone better than I could have dreamed of really.
    The promotion has given me the incentive I needed to move up stakes a bit. I've always felt confident that I could do it but was in a comfort zone. Still a long way to go obviously to get a realistic idea of how I'm really doing but so far so good.
    Roi at the £20's has gone from -4.4% on the 1st Jan to 14.2% today. Still only just over 100 games played but it's a decent start.

Up to 13.4% at the £15's, which again is really pleasing.
    I know I won't be able to maintain these figures. As I posted before though, it gives me a nice buffer for when the wheels do come off a bit, which is inevitable

Bankrolls grown to £895.14 over the 4 days I've played.

I
    think it helps that there is a smaller pool of players who play the £15's and £20's. This obviously makes making notes a lot easier as I'm getting to see the same players game after game.

Played the freeroll tonight which was great. Got down to below 50 left and just ran a bit cold at the wrong time. Took on a couple of flips that I could have perhaps left. I was really playing for the win though and I think it was worth the gamble.

Thread on no breaks!  sigh!
    Yep, it would have been better with breaks. Really though? a thread grumbling about Sky letting us all down!
    Take the laptop with you when you go for a P!$$ me old fruit. Works for me. :)

Derby were tame today. Didn't play at all and seemed overawed by the occasion. Probably not a bad thing to be out of the cup though.

Lincoln Cathedral was wonderful. Every bit as good as people told me it was. I'm pretty simple and it's just beyond me how all these centuries ago masterpieces like this were achieved.

• edited January 2014
    nice 1 pal doing well :) 

i found dyms 2nite alot harder then what they used to be

some of the games bk in the day were over by level 5 lol
  • edited January 2014
    nice 1 pal doing well :)  i found dyms 2nite alot harder then what they used to be some of the games bk in the day were over by level 5 lol
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Thanks IDCU

Are you at last admitting that the £20's aren't the softest stakes after all then? :)
    Thought you were unlucky on a few occasions last night.

Golf was windy. I was rubbish. Walked in after 12.

Off to dentists in a bit. Wish me luck
  • edited January 2014
    Now the brag bit ☺ Since I deposited the £500 on the 1st, it's gone better than I could have dreamed of really. The promotion has given me the incentive I needed to move up stakes a bit. I've always felt confident that I could do it but was in a comfort zone. Still a long way to go obviously to get a realistic idea of how I'm really doing but so far so good. Roi at the £20's has gone from -4.4% on the 1st Jan to 14.2% today. Still only just over 100 games played but it's a decent start. Up to 13.4% at the £15's, which again is really pleasing. I know I won't be able to maintain these figures. As I posted before though, it gives me a nice buffer for when the wheels do come off a bit, which is inevitable Bankrolls grown to £895.14 over the 4 days I've played. I think it helps that there is a smaller pool of players who play the £15's and £20's. This obviously makes making notes a lot easier as I'm getting to see the same players game after game. .... Played the freeroll tonight which was great. Got down to below 50 left and just ran a bit cold at the wrong time. Took on a couple of flips that I could have perhaps left. I was really playing for the win though and I think it was worth the gamble. Thread on no breaks!  sigh! Yep, it would have been better with breaks. Really though? a thread grumbling about Sky letting us all down! Take the laptop with you when you go for a P!$$ me old fruit. Works for me. :) .... Derby were tame today. Didn't play at all and seemed overawed by the occasion. Probably not a bad thing to be out of the cup though. .... Lincoln Cathedral was wonderful. Every bit as good as people told me it was. I'm pretty simple and it's just beyond me how all these centuries ago masterpieces like this were achieved.
    Posted by Jac35
    Hi Jac

Been a while since i played on sky but after returning a week or so ago i've seen you in a number of my games and i think you play them very well.

I understand what your saying about not knocking sky for the freeroll but to run a tourney like this without breaks is just plain stupid and wouldn't happen on any other site that i know of.

Anyway I look forward to seeing you at the tables.

Eamonn cpfc_2010

• edited January 2014
    Geldy 

Ban was lifted on 1st Jan
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Hi Jac Been a while since i played on sky but after returning a week or so ago i've seen you in a number of my games and i think you play them very well. I understand what your saying about not knocking sky for the freeroll but to run a tourney like this without breaks is just plain stupid and wouldn't happen on any other site that i know of. Anyway I look forward to seeing you at the tables. Eamonn cpfc_2010
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    Hi Eamonn

Yeah, we we've played a fair few games together now. Thanks for your comments.
    Where do you normally play? I know there aren't many sites still running double or nothing's.
    I see you're on all the leaderboards.
    Can you start making some mistakes please? :)

Cheers
    Paul
  • edited January 2014
    Geldy  Ban was lifted on 1st Jan
    Posted by Jac35
    & Happy New Year to you too.

guess i will need to tread more carefully this year eh
    or at least be a little more discreet with my watery activities
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : & Happy New Year to you too. guess i will need to tread more carefully this year eh or at least be a little more discreet with my watery activities
    Posted by GELDY
    Stop messing around with excluding lark.
    You're a big asset to the forum.
    Happy New Year
  • edited January 2014
    370 points today. Total 2537
    Not going to make the top ten but will make sure I hit priority for the first time.

£8.76 up on the day. Bankroll up to £903.99

Very pleased actually. Didn't feel I was running too well today and was down between £50 and a £100 for most of the session.
    Getting chatting with some of the regs. As always,when you play slightly higher, chat box grumbling mostly disappears. 
    There is one guy though.
    The world really is against him. Played thousands upon thousands of games and apparently he's never won a flip! Yawn.
    He posts occasionally on the forum as well. Doesn't seem too happy with anything Sky do promotion wise either.
    Still plays on here all the time though.
    Work that one out.

Teeth sore.
    All done now, thank goodness.

I'm lacking the suitable heart and commitment yet again today. Pokered out.
    Gonna read a book. Good luck all