You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited January 2014
    36 week scan today. Everything looking good, just waiting now.
    Everything good apart from Mrs J being bloody grumpy. Spent about 4 hours yesterday doing bits and bobs around the house. Apparently, I'm a lazy toad for not emptying the shredder. Ffs.

Made the smart decision last night when I got home from the pub to play a few more games. Luckily it went well and made about £40.
    Tonight has been really, really tough. A few players who I don't normally see at the Dyms. Presumably players looking for points for the promo. Jakally graced us with his presence. Not for long though did I have the pleasure. Forgotten now exactly what happened but I made a dumb move. Again there were some new guys who had an aversion to folding. Being dead clever though, I still kept on betting. went well [ ]

Folded a full house to MATT8. Can't remember doing that many times in a Dym. He said he had it afterwards, I believed him.

Played a couple of £33's. Super tough field. Won both, Roi up to the heady heights of -27.4% in those now. Ended up doing my usual trick of winning 6 out of the last 8 to get out of it. The 33's were in there as well and obviously helped. Not going to keep getting away with that for ever. Still i'll enjoy it for now. £30ish up on the day plus pleasant rakeback.

Just for a moment yesterday I had that really pretty sharkscope star for 1 on the leaderboard. Not sad or anything but took a photo :) Still 2nd. On the Sky leaderboard for SNG profit, forum favourite Smitalos has jumped into Top 5. I'm now 6th, never liked him :)

Really tough night.

I've had enough now, head frazzled
  • edited January 2014
    My downswing continues..............Maybe downswing is a bit dramatic, I'm not losing a load just not winning a load, up and down up and down!

I think I have found a fairly big leak in my DYM game, at least I think it might be. I think I may be shoving too light too early. An example from earlier is: I'm 4/6, 1800 chips at 75/150 (although the next blind level was imminent). I'm in the cut off with 44, there is one limper in front of me. I shove and I'm snap called in the bb by QQ.

Another example: I was 4 handed, 100/200 blinds, folded to me in the small blind with QJ. I have 2100 chips and am the shorty (although not by much), again I shove and bb snaps me off with A2............have had a few scenarios like this when 4 handed.

Would love some advice here if you have the time or don't mind. I have pretty much given free info to any DYM reg who may read this haha, but I think the decent players have cottoned onto the fact that I'm not always that strong when shoving. As you know, it's so easy to get blinded out in the late stages but am I "going for it" too early? How many blinds can you realistically go down to??

Fully understand if you don't wanna give away any tricks of the trade but thought I would ask anyway lol

Gl at the tables mate.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Waller think that was me with the QQ against your 44 earlier :) Was shocked to see you flip over 44 though.

Everyone of the decent DYM'ers are all the same when it comes to shoving light on the bubble. you just have to do it but for me it's about trying to do it against the right players. 

Having said that 44 is a little light for me in the hand earlier. I tend to fold most small pocket pairs pre (66 or below) at this stage perhaps with the exception of blind vs blind. I will probably shove limpers if in bb with low pp's but that's very opponent dependant. 

With the QJ hand the guy who called with A2 made a bad call although again shoving here is a little light for me. Personally I'd try and get away with a min raise, 2.5x or 3x steal. If they flat you've got a hand that can flop well and it's an easy check fold on most flops. If they reraise or shove your intial raise it's also an easy fold pre. You'd still be left with at least a 7 bb stack for shoving either way. Be interested to hear jacs views although qj is a monster to him so he'll prob say shove too ;)

We're about the same standard (I think) so take or leave that advice above as you please lol 

I just had a brutal downswing myself (which you probably heard me moaning about at the tables lol) so I know how you feel. As I say we're prob about the same standard so if you ever have anything you want to discuss with someone i'm happy to listen, we could probably learn something from eachother. Realise we play a lot together so you might not want to do that and that's cool.

• edited January 2014

Not a dym player, but the JQ hand sounds like a really standard shove.

The 44, I dunno! !?!?

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Not a dym player, but the JQ hand sounds like a really standard shove. The 44, I dunno! !?!?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I can't see the QJ being a shove. If the big blind folds we win 300 chips uncontested, does a stack of 2400 vs 2100 increase our likelihood to cash by enough to make it worthwhile to risk our whole tournament?! I personally don't think so! 

By 2.5x'ing it we risk losing 500 but probably get 90% of the folds the shove does. So if they wake up with a hand and shove pre our stack falls to 1600 and 8bb's. Still a very useful stack to get a cash in a dym.
  • edited January 2014

Ok

Bear in mind that things like M, Nash, Stoving and ICM may as well be a foreign language to me. I probably do apply these things but just don't know what the correct jargon is these days. So, this will be pretty basic stuff from a poker simpleton. You never know though, some of it may be useful.

This is by no means a dig at Dohhhhhhh but I think there is an argument to say that 'standard' is overused and incorrect in a lot of cases.

The hand Waller has describe may well be standard at first glance. However, I think it's anything but standard.
    I find the 100/200 level by far the most difficult to play.
    In this situation I might min raise, shove, fold or even from time to time limp! (I appreciate that's not really a very helpful answer Waller)
    How is the table playing? Are 2 likely to go to war soon enough? What do we think of the big blind? Even more importantly what does he think of us?

There are players who are going to need AA, KK to call a shove in this spot but may peel with pairs, broadway cards etc. Others, like in the hand you played, will just snap with a terrible Ace.

I understand JD's view but disagree a little. If I min raise here, then I'm going with the hand the majority of the time. Therefore I probably want to be a little stronger than JQ. I really hate putting 25% of our stack in the middle and then folding. Never 2.5xing here. 2x achieves exactly the same thing and 100 chips is significant. Readless, are you being balanced? I think balance is over rated sometimes but in Dym's playing the same players every day it's important. If you would play premiums in exactly the same manner it's fine.

A few examples

A few days ago at 100/200
    Similar stack sizes to Wallers hand. I have Ace Rag in the SB. Very good player in the big. I think I should shove or fold but min raise instead. He puts me in, I fold. His hand was irrelevant.

Last night
    Again 100/200
    I have 10's in the SB. BB is a reg who will probably perceive me as 'aggro' (I know, bizarre) I know he will very rarely flat here, which would leave me playing guessing games on broadway flops. Shove and I lose any value. I min, he shoves, I call, he shows J9 and I cash.

Last night
    Very strong last 4. TimmyRaRa, SuperSnedd and Walks. 200/400 and we all bizarrely have near enough identical chips. Pretty much for the entire level UTG shoved. If there had been a weak player at the table, I'm sure it would have played out differently. No mistakes were being made and it was just going to eventually come down to the BB finding a hand strong enough to call with. It happened Snedd had AA and Walks was really unlucky as he actually had a big hand himself, QQ

From a while ago
    Again 100/200
    A renowned player on here who used to keep a diary is on my right. He has around 1200, I have maybe 2400. The other 2 are out of sight. I'm in the BB and feel that 100% of the time if it folds to him, then he will shove. He obliges and I make the call with K3. I hold against 2 low cards. He mentioned in his diary at the time that he felt when he played lower stakes then he was getting called very lightly. I wondered if he was talking about that hand. To me, that one was standard. He's a good player. Fold here and he's up to 1500. Next hand he has the opportunity to get in there before me again. Against 2 players who will be very unlikely to call. He now has 1800. Totally back in the game.

A very good player at mainly the £10 stakes beat me up quite often in the SB v BB situations. I would min, he would shove. I'd call it off and he would show me a big hand. I then noticed something. He would never call in the BB. Sometimes though, he would put in a tiny 3bet. I wanted to see what this meant and 4bet all in. He folded. I'm yet to see him call after he has done this and it's probably been 10/15 times now.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, from far standard, each hand will be very different against different opponents. The key, I guess, is to keep making and updating notes.
    There are a few players on here who are signed up to Dyms strategy sites. Not really for me. Great basic strategy but very exploitable in my opinion. I could even set up my own 'Jacs No Frills Dym site' and charge half the price.
    Play supertight early on and then 4 handed just shove shove shove. Play a bit differently to these players and they're really out of their comfort zone as they would never play the hand the same way.
    A little shorter :)
    Fold the 4's

• edited January 2014
    Many thanks to jd, dohhhhh and especially you jac for what is a very detailed response. It says a lot about the man you are, I mean you didn't have to give me any advice at given the fact we often bump into each other on the DYM tables (well, until you moved up to the 22's anyway!)

In total agreement with all 3 of you about the 44...spew!! At the time I couldn't win a flip, wasn't getting any decent spots to build a stack in ANY of my games and I guess this lead to the "ffs ALL IN!" haha. The QJ (and similar spots) I'm not too concerned about, blind v blind, 4 handed in the later stages I think we have to widen our shoving range slightly. Plus, like you said, if the oppo wants to call with A2 I still have a reasonable chance of winning the hand. I guess this is why note making is important so you know who will call you raggy hands and who won't.

I only had a small session tonight as I was working late. I took everything on board and ended up with a +£32 session which I will always be happy with at my level. Still a couple of leaks to sort out (mainly knowing when I really shouldn't have cbet!!!)

Thanks again, much appreciated. Best of luck on the tables
  • edited January 2014
    Pub poker.....

Probably good fun. Unfortunately, my version off it is 

Go to pub, have 5 pints, come home, play poker.

Optimal? Possibly not.
    Luckily for me, I continued my getting out of it skills. 
    Played 11
    Lost 1st 4
    Won last 7

Little profit on a day when I was going to have a little break
    Won £3.23 at cash as well while waiting for tables to open. I'm awesome at cash!
    On target for priority still but it's going to be close. 5163 points now at pretty much the halfway point.

Don't think I'll be on here at all tomorrow as I'm going for my first live outing of the year.
    I'll try to refrain from my normal embarrassing drunken updates of how it's going :)

Watched "The Voice" on iplayer. 
    Kylie - soignee
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Jac, just caught up with your diary!

Footy - Q. What's worse than getting thrashed 4-1 live on the box for everyone to see?

A. Getting humiliated 6-0 against a very average Shef Weds team! ... live for everyone to see. Sigh. I thought programmes with such graphic content weren't allowed on before 9!

Pokers - Congrats on the heater! ... No very little about DYM's, played a couple before but didn't really get in to them (Don't like folding enough to be any good at them!)

Hope the run good continues!
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Jac, just caught up with your diary! Footy - Q. What's worse than getting thrashed 4-1 live on the box for everyone to see?                         A. Getting humiliated 6-0 against a very average Shef Weds team! ... live for everyone to see. Sigh. I thought programmes with such graphic content weren't allowed on before 9! Pokers - Congrats on the heater! ... No very little about DYM's, played a couple before but didn't really get in to them (Don't like folding enough to be any good at them!) Hope the run good continues!
    Posted by 77Chris91
    Cheers Chris

Yeah, we were both pretty awful.
  • edited January 2014
    Tonight has been testing :)

Went into Derby for the competition. Got there just before 8.00. "Oh, you have no entrants yet. Have you put the time back since I last came?"

"Nope"

"Great!, i'll sod off home then."

Played the rebuy. Lose a big pot that I played as badly as I possibly could to "The Beast" aka Bighawk. No problem, I'd just had a text "Pub mate?" Down to 2000 chips, I answer "Give me 10 mins" 10 mins later I have 18950 chips. "Better leave it mate"

Say to the beast. "Watch me get knocked out just before closing now"

10.51 - I have QQ in the BB. UTG ships about 25 bigs! SB calls. I call. 66 for UTG. An interesting Ace 6 for SB.
    Flop has a 6.

Balls!
    Edit at 00.17
    Thursday appears to be better :)
    Played about 12 Dym's. I say played. Actually played about 6 hands in all those games. Quite aggressive would be one way of describing the games. £130odd profit. Minus the rebuys, around £100 on the day. Think I might stick to what I know in future. (ensures guaranteed pub time)
  • edited January 2014
    Pretty annoyed about this afternoons poker.
    Lost a bit, no biggie, £26 which could have been worse.

The tables are in general, very friendly at the slightly higher stakes.
    Today, I played with a guy I'd not seen before, Maxthxrk27. He is semi-competent, no more, about £25 up in his short time on here. What he does unfortunately is spend every game abusing the rest of the table. Not content to win a hand, he then has to tell the player who lost it how bad he is and then call him names. None of this was directed at me. Well not until I suggested that he maybe calm down a bit with the abuse. Inevitably, it was then my turn.
    His final act before I finished my session was to let his timebar run right down until calling a shove with his aces. If he won, I'd cash but I was really hoping he would get sucked out on.

Obviously, I'll get told off for putting his name up. I will hear that there are two sides to every story. Shame, it would be nice if I could just be trusted on this one. I'm sure any of the other players who were at the tables would happily verify all this. Yes, I suppose that I should just report it to Customer Care (I will later on).

Rant over
  • edited January 2014
    welcome back 
    J Anti-troll C
    you've been missed
    and we need some cover for when harry is on his hols
  • edited January 2014
    welcome back  J A nti-troll C you've been missed and we need some cover for when harry is on his hols
    Posted by GELDY
    Was going to be a one off Mr Geldy. Business is in safe hands anyway.
    Just been back on. Turned the loss into a £40 win for the day.

Unfortunately we had more of the same. Player from earlier was still dishing out the abuse.
    Then we had lxdxdx21 start grumbling at another player about playing slowly. That got sorted out. Then when I put a bit of a beat on him, he got angry again.

It wasn't particulary imaginative. Just "moron" followed by "lucky moron" and so on.

Hopefully these people will disappear once the promo finishes.

Edit - Sigh, I suppose I should take these gentlemans names out. Well mostly out anyway
  • edited January 2014
    Any legal people / car insurance people out there? Could do with some advice.
    Last September, I took my car to a hand wash. I was directed where to park. It was a small space surrounded by fences. Immediately a gust of wind blew a steel fence panel that was propped up against the fence onto my car.

The damage caused were scratches to 3 panels and a dint in the door panel.

The owner was very apologetic and said he would get it all fixed. He said he would understand if I wanted to just go through insurance, but would appreciate a chance to put it right himself. Seemed a decent bloke and so I agreed. He arranged  for someone to come and get the dent out. He attempted to get the scratches out himself but failed. He then got some matching paint from the dealer and had another go. This time it looked even worse. It was clear that it needed to go to a body shop. 

He sent me to someone he knew. I wasn't happy that they could do the job to my satisfaction. The car is pretty new, a 12 plate C Class and so I wanted it to go to Merc or an approved body shop. He understood and said it would be be for the best if we went through insurance after all.

I called my insurer and gave them the details. Told me they would be in contact with the guy and get back to me within a couple of weeks. Today, some 8 weeks later, I have received a call telling me that the hand wash deny negligence as the fence had been there for a couple of months with no problems. Insurance guy tells me that there's nothing they can really do as they can't prove anything. They will continue to chase the guy but I will eventually have to pay the £300 excess myself to get the work done.

Anywhere I can go with this? I'm guessing not and I will just have to stump up the cash but any help would be really appreciated.
  • edited January 2014

I have got a merc brag post! #shameless
  • edited January 2014
    Classic ive got a car brag post!

#someofuswroteoffourcars
  • edited January 2014
    But seriously I have no idea....
  • edited January 2014
    Citizens Advice then maybe a small claims court?

I would be thinking that with him offering/trying to do the work is kind of admitting liability?
  • edited January 2014
    Hi jac mate! 

Sorry I forgot to look through your diary!

The hand in the rebuy.....I had AQ so the nuts basically! So good fold :)

Had a pretty deep run ended up finishing 9th which was quite disappointing but ran well to get there.

Good luck.
  • edited January 2014
    Maxally, Gazza thanks for your input. (Filters wouldn't let me put in my first response) :)

Vespa
    Exactly what I thought. Although the insurer seems to think he could just say that it was a gesture, rather than an admission.

Bit I'm confused about is surely with the majority of claims, it's just one guys word against another's? How many accidents can be proven? Is there not some body who will eventually have to apportion blame if no one is budging?
  • edited January 2014
    innocent until proved guilty
    you are screwed
    gust of wind blew over a steel panel
    pull another one
    better continue the run good
  • edited January 2014
    There is also the further damage that the guy caused trying to repair it.
    He can't deny doing that surely.
  • edited January 2014
    Hey Jac, hope all is going well with the other half (and yourself obv)

Bit annoying earlier, I was enjoying our chat at the table then my Sky software crashed and by the time I got it to reload I had lost my seat on every single table so decided it was time for bed.

It's an interesting debate and maybe I don't know enough to really comment... Part of me says that increasing the rake at the lower end does help the poker economy, keep the rec players happy etc BUT the other part of me says meh most rec players are still probably gonna get like <£5 back each month, is that really gonna be the deal breaker? These people are playing for a laugh, enjoying the game/the gamble etc and if they're willing to stick in £50 a month and give it a spin, I don't think getting £1.50 back is gonna make the slightest difference as to where they play, or encourage them to play more than they want to just so they can get an extra 50p.

Also, as you pointed out, I don't think increasing it at the bottom end means it needs to be reduced so significantly at the top end.

• edited January 2014
    Not posted since last Friday and yesterday was the first time I've posted at all since then.
    I'm disappointed with myself at how I seem to have come across in recent posts. Geldy is right. I'm pretty thin skinned and worry about silly things. With some big life stuff about to happen, it just seemed silly fretting about things on here.
    Unless Baby Jackson joins the party early, I'm still on to make priority for the first time this month. Around 8600 at present. This last week has been tougher. Had 3 losing days on the trot but managed to recover those losses, plus make a bit last night and earlier today.
    I really enjoy playing on Sky and there are many great aspects to it. However, got  to say I'm frustrated by the Happy Hours promotion. To run it 3 weeks after another promotion has started and for it to affect that promotion is not good. The logic is really poor. They will doubtless do very well this weekend. Long term though, it's really poor. The promotion no doubt is partly about attracting new players to the site. A number of grinders from elsewhere have played on here this month. As has been stated in other threads, it's highly unlikely that they will play here again after this month. I was cruising into the freeroll but now I may not make it. To drop this in at this stage looks amateurish and doesn't do the sites credibilty much good.
    Overall the promotion has been really good for me. It motivated me to play more and play at a higher stake. I take my hat off to the players in the Top 10. I was a long way out with my guess as to how many points I would need to get in there. I originally thought 15000 would do it. I'm knackered from work and getting the number of points I have. Greater discipline than I have from these guys to keep putting in the hours.
    I've felt comfortable at the slightly higher levels and so I think I will continue at them next month. Volume will probably drop down to about normal though.

• edited January 2014
    You cannot seriously expect me to read that clump of words?! On a Friday as well! ;)
  • edited January 2014
    Not posted since last Friday and yesterday was the first time I've posted at all since then. I'm disappointed with myself at how I seem to have come across in recent posts. Geldy is right. I'm pretty thin skinned and worry about silly things. With some big life stuff about to happen, it just seemed silly fretting about things on here. ..... Unless Baby Jackson joins the party early, I'm still on to make priority for the first time this month. Around 8600 at present. This last week has been tougher. Had 3 losing days on the trot but managed to recover those losses, plus make a bit last night and earlier today. ..... I really enjoy playing on Sky and there are many great aspects to it. However, got  to say I'm frustrated by the Happy Hours promotion. To run it 3 weeks after another promotion has started and for it to affect that promotion is not good. The logic is really poor. They will doubtless do very well this weekend. Long term though, it's really poor. The promotion no doubt is partly about attracting new players to the site. A number of grinders from elsewhere have played on here this month. As has been stated in other threads, it's highly unlikely that they will play here again after this month. I was cruising into the freeroll but now I may not make it. To drop this in at this stage looks amateurish and doesn't do the sites credibilty much good. ...... Overall the promotion has been really good for me. It motivated me to play more and play at a higher stake. I take my hat off to the players in the Top 10. I was a long way out with my guess as to how many points I would need to get in there. I originally thought 15000 would do it. I'm knackered from work and getting the number of points I have. Greater discipline than I have from these guys to keep putting in the hours. I've felt comfortable at the slightly higher levels and so I think I will continue at them next month. Volume will probably drop down to about normal though.
    Posted by Jac35
    Feel your pain regarding the promo mate. I have worked hard to stay in the top 50 all month and was very surprised to see about this cash promo which could mean all that hard work has been for sweet FA!!!

• edited January 2014
    Well, as that AJS character seems to be already aware, I'm not good enough to play cash. He's prolly right, not really tried for a while.
    Unfortunately on tonight's evidence, I'm not good enough to play Dyms either! Did not go well.
    However, I am reasonably capable at the "crapshoot tourneys"  as the lovely AJS refers to them. Decent record on the night. Played 1 won 1. A nice £188. Think all my luck came in that tourney rather than the Dyms. 3 handed I skillfully had AA in the BB and the small shoved. I then very skillfully flopped quads.
    Had a fun exchange in a Dym. Was playing stacks of tables and raised with JJ. Got shoved on and snapped him off. Oops, 1st level. Made my set but not good enough against his set of Aces. I made a comment about mixing up my tables. Player then did a "really?, ty for your chips" thing. I replied with something very mature :) He then kindly asked me if it was my 1st game. Again, I replied with the maturity of a 10 year old. I made a spelling error, "reasd" which he kindly corrected and told me not to be so "fecicitious" Which I found quite amusing. He warmly said goodbye to me when I got knocked out and playfully called me a "donk" I love originality.
    Decent result for Derby today. Bamford looks a player. Love McLaren at the moment but I can only assume that Jamie Ward has some hold over the club. How does he get a game every week? Surely he'll start Bamford on Tuesday.
    Noticed Billy Sharp has gone back to Donny. Thought that we might have gone for him for about the 5th time. As a loan, I think he's a great signing. Knows how to score goals.
    Lost my gold star which sucks :(
  • edited January 2014
    Ah the ups and downs of poker pal.
    Good read as always.
    I'm not one for comments in chat but I will admit I had a little rant last night after bubbling a seat for UKIP Dublin on an other site.It did spill over to Sky and to an unlucky limp caller who did me in a mtt here.
    I did say sorry when I bumped into them tonight.
    I always find it funny the cash v mtt player debate.
    To me its like 5 a side footballers and 11 a side players same game but different skills.
    It seems to me that its always cash players saying they are the better players but I suppose we could all crush if we got to choose our opponents.
    Hopefully you will get your star back soon.

PS Hope Penny is doing well , cant be long now.

Run Good Pal.

Pat