You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    If one more player raise/calls my shove with Ace Rag tonight and gets there......
    Posted by Jac35
    It's the limp in and then call a shove with ATC that I like the most...
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : It's the limp in and then call a shove with ATC that I like the most...
    Posted by bromley04
    Hi Adam

Lol, there was a little bit of tilt earlier.

Take your point. Personally though, the raise/call it off e.g raise to 300 at 50/100 and then call a shove for 3000 due to being pot committed! is my favourite :)
  • edited December 2013
    Non poker related but what is going on down at Derby at the moment? 7 wins on the bounce, has McClaren even changed that much in terms of team selection/tactics looks like you will be in  the running for promotion at this rate what do you think of Will Hughes as well is he going to be a top class player like everyone is saying?
    Posted by benc
    It's been fantastic mate.
    All the doom and gloom has gone and the atmosphere is brilliant. I really wanted Clough to do well but he was content to just finish mid-table, year in, year out.

The biggest change is down to Man-management
    McLaren has backed the players all the way and they're no longer going on the pitch scared of making mistakes.
    We've been good going forward all season but the defence were dreadful. He brought Wisdom in who's been excellent. Also, although we conceded 90% of our goals from crosses, Clough, wouldn't accept that, and it was everybody's fault other than his centre-backs. That's obviously been worked on and we look much stronger at the back now.

He just backs the players. No favourites

Clough actually brought some good players into the club. How he managed them when they came in was a disaster though.
    Cringeworthy after one game. We had Tommy Cyzka, a 19 year Polish lad. Good looking player. He gave the ball away in their half and it eventually led to a goal. Clough said something like, "Criminal what he did. If they won't learn, we'll soon pack them back off to Poland or wherever they've come from, the boys clearly thick"

This was a young lad away from home doing his best, learning the language and his manager came out with that tripe. Disgusting

Hughes is looking the real deal. Not ready yet for a big move, but he can really play.
    Brysons and Martin are the real stars for us at the moment though.
  • edited December 2013
    Well,
    Did a bit of tilting earlier (when will I learn?)
    Had some pretty interesting calls made against me. On the whole though, I just played badly.
    Ended up getting back to just £25 down, more through luck, than good play.
    Going to have to look at it closely. Dym's have been my bread and butter on here. Presently, they're my worst game.
    Just thinking about it. Some advice that Pokernoon has been given, makes a lot of sense. Even after playing for this many years, mixing Cash, tourneys and Dym's is a tall order.

Playing way too loose in the Dym's and just making really basic errors.
    Had one hand against YouMad where I had 2 options really, Shove or fold. I called! I then donked out! I do that about twice a year! I got there on the turn and got a full double up. Horrific play from me.
    Youmad seems a really nice guy, great player too. On every table tonight and tough to play against. Got lucky against him a number of times and he reacts in the way I do normally. With a bit of grace and in full knowledge that short term we may get unlucky but keep doing the right things and we'll be fine in the end.
    I noticed as well that I was going into shove mode way too early. That's the tilt thing coming through and it's brainless. get a few bad beats and then shove to stop them calling with poor hands. Genius Paul! So I shove to get rid of the very hands I want to call me and leave myself open to busting by getting the premiums to call. I'm a star!

When I got back to £25 down tonight, snap deregged every game, withdrew down to a £1.05 and ran out to the pub.
    Mature! Nope, but prob best too leave it when I know I'm not playing well

Railed the superroller for a while when I got. Good to see some of the forum guys doing well. Good banter on the rail as well.

P.S
    Hi LARSON
  • edited December 2013
    Interesting to hear a fans perspective thanks for the reply don't really know any derby fans lol from an outside perspective i always felt like clough was doing a decent job but never seemed as though you would ever really push on so mcClaren looks looks like an inspired appointment at the moment it's quite close up the top of the league this year so should be interesting in the coming months. Be good for McClaren to rebuild his reputation as well. Anyway good luck with the poker and enjoying reading the diary.
  • edited December 2013
    Well, Did a bit of tilting earlier (when will I learn?) Had some pretty interesting calls made against me. On the whole though, I just played badly. Ended up getting back to just £25 down, more through luck, than good play. Going to have to look at it closely. Dym's have been my bread and butter on here. Presently, they're my worst game. Just thinking about it. Some advice that Pokernoon has been given, makes a lot of sense. Even after playing for this many years, mixing Cash, tourneys and Dym's is a tall order. Playing way too loose in the Dym's and just making really basic errors. Had one hand against YouMad where I had 2 options really, Shove or fold. I called! I then donked out! I do that about twice a year! I got there on the turn and got a full double up. Horrific play from me. Youmad seems a really nice guy, great player too. On every table tonight and tough to play against. Got lucky against him a number of times and he reacts in the way I do normally. With a bit of grace and in full knowledge that short term we may get unlucky but keep doing the right things and we'll be fine in the end. I noticed as well that I was going into shove mode way too early. That's the tilt thing coming through and it's brainless. get a few bad beats and then shove to stop them calling with poor hands. Genius Paul! So I shove to get rid of the very hands I want to call me and leave myself open to busting by getting the premiums to call. I'm a star! When I got back to £25 down tonight, snap deregged every game, withdrew down to a £1.05 and ran out to the pub. Mature! Nope, but prob best too leave it when I know I'm not playing well ... Railed the superroller for a while when I got. Good to see some of the forum guys doing well. Good banter on the rail as well. ... P.S Hi LARSON
    Posted by Jac35

If there's one thing I'm starting to learn about this game, it's that you'll hate it today and think you're the worst player who ever lived and consider giving up...and tomorrow you will be a total god and start planning how soon you're going to be winning the World Series.

I wonder if DYMs are the hardest format to play if you're feeling impatient or on a tilt. Because the key to DYMs seems to be patience..not easy to be patient if you're feeling impatient ;)

• edited December 2013
    Cheers Ben

Tripped yourself up with the bit about enjoying the diary, though!
    You can surely never have read it before

I ranted on about Clough endlessly during the whole diary :)
  • edited December 2013
    Got a phone call earlier today. Guy said "is that a fat little old man?" I said "yes" he's said he was from Sky bet and wanted to talk to me about my account. I hung up. What do you think?
    Posted by Jac35

I think you should put that bottle down now and go bed. Night mate.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : I think you should put that bottle down now and go bed. Night mate.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Sigh
    Maxally too quick for the Jac ninja delete!
    I may have been to the pub tonight :)

Happy Christmas  Al

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Sigh Maxally too quick for the Jac ninja delete! I may have been to the pub tonight :) Happy Christmas  Al  
    Posted by Jac35
    Haha i have caught a fair few of these.

Favourite posts on the forum....
  • edited December 2013
    These ninjas are slowing down in their old age
  • edited December 2013
    I'm just about done for the year pokerwise. Going to be very busy over the next week with family stuff etc.
    So, a little early but I might just have a little look back at this year.

One of the best of my life.
    Baby due in February is thrilling, if not a little daunting at the moment. I guess it's something all soon to be Dads go through.
    How can I be a parent? I can hardly look after myself, let alone a little one. I'm ridiculously childish for someone of my years.

Poker has been brilliant. I've made good profits this year. More importantly though, I've met good people. The SPTs were really special for me. Never really had poker friends but I now feel that I do. The welcome by everyone to a new face was humbling. These people didn't know me at all but made the time to make me feel comfortable. Too many to name, I'd miss a few as well, but thank you so much for that. Obviously the SPTs aren't cheap but I'd urge anyone to go if they get the chance. You never know, you might even win one! (Had to get a small brag in) it's going to be a little more difficult next year to get to the SPTs but I will do my best to at least play in one.

As you may have noticed, I quite a big Derby fan. It's been going really well and I just hope we can carry on.
    Golf has been hopeless and I'm guessing it's likely to get worse over the next few years.

New Years resolution has to be to stay out of the squabbles on the community. I get frustrated when I see obvious trolling. I just give them what they want though when I get involved. We have excellent mods on the forum and they will soon deal with them anyway.

Thanks for reading this thread. I love just chatting away to people on here.
    Happy Christmas everyone
  • edited December 2013
    Happy Christmas!

Won't have much time for poker in Feb! Delighted for you.

Was really good meeting you at Newcastle.

And well done on good profits in 2013, 2014 will be an even beter year.

Always a pleasure reading your diray, one of the best on here, which just leaves me to say, have an outstanding 2014
  • edited December 2013
    Merry Christmas sir.

I feel that when we eventually cross paths, something tells me we'll get on pretty well!
  • edited December 2013
    Merry Christmas Jac!!

Congrats on a great year, 2014 is gonna be even better for you with your happy event.

Think McLaren might give you a 2nd happy event come May but you'll be doing well to reduce your handicap and smash the poker up with your new arrival causing mayhem. Good luck in all your endeavours.
  • edited December 2013
    Get some rest Jac as there will be none when the baby arrives lol. All the very best to you and yours mate.
  • edited December 2013
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year mate.

It was a pleasure to meet you this year and I definitely class you as one of my friends now.

Good luck for everything poker and non-poker in 2014 and hopefully there's enough room for the Clarets and the Rams at the top of the table come May.
  • edited December 2013
    Hope you and Penny have a great Christmas.
  • edited December 2013
    Choices, choices

Do I spend the day with wife's family? some of whom, I barely know. Walking around Carsington Water in freezing temperatures. Then, on to her Aunty's for 8 hours. making small talk and eating way too much.

Or

Set off for Huddesfield at 12.00 to watch the Mighty Rams continue with the promotion charge? Followed by meeting up with a load of mates I've not seen for ages in the boozer, later?

Slightly surprisingly, I've been given the green light for the latter. Whilst Carsington, would have been nice, the latter option, just wins.
    Mrs J must have been happy with her presents. :)

Come on you Rams.
    When Ibrahimovic sees us record our 8th consecutive victory, he'll probably want to come and join us in January. Think we'll let him.
  • edited December 2013
    All a bit weird

Had nothing on tonight and so I thought I'd have a little play.
    A few Dyms, a couple of tourneys and a couple of sats.

Played for 2 hours and then just decided I was bored. Deregged everything and gonna leave it for the night.
    Did qualify for the £110. As usual the bubble went on for ever. I was in a reasonably comfortable position and with the table playing proper sat strat, I was able to get through.

So, a nice little profit of £86 will do me just fine.
    Think I'll read a book
    Mighty rams were mighty for the first half yesterday. Should really have killed them off.
    Draw was fair in the end. Will we ever find someone who can take pens?
    Liked the ground, first time on it.
    Good luck everyone playing tonight.
  • edited December 2013
    Wasn't gonna post tonight but that Bromley bloke goaded me into it.
    He had the temerity to turn a set on me with 30odd left in the rebuy. I wanted to fold on the turn and definitely wanted to fold the river.. I called. convinced myself he had missed. There were a couple of draws there.
    I think he's rather unpleasant and I hope Burnley get relegated.

Other than that disagreeable turn of events, it's been another enjoyable night.
    Played for a few hours and ended up £3.44 up. :)
    Can't be bad. Few hours of poker and won enough for a petrol station latte and change.

Was originally going out tonight but Mrs J under the weather. Everything fine, bit of heartburn and other pregnancy related things.

If she's ok tomorrow, I'm playing golf. Ages since I last played so it could be grim. Was going to go to Barnsley but sold out before I could get a ticket. 6000 going up there. Only a couple of days now until Xavi decides Derby are the club for him.

Laptop off in a minute and i'll watch the end of the test match.
    What's happened to us? They just seem to want it so much more than we do.
    I hope Dohhhhhh had a bet on the series. I seem to remember him saying he thought they might do us.
    Could be his first winner yet!
  • edited December 2013
    Hi mate...honoured to have a post dedicated to me in the best diary on sky (don't tell Gazza I said that) and at least I put your chips to good use!

That was a bit of a nasty hand really with the metagame between us - and like you say all the missed draws on the river - I think you had to call.  

As for the football...I really hope that Burnley can keep the pace but to be honest I am not overly confident...I think we're heading for another day out at Wembley.

Oh and by the way you've made Mrs B angry lol!

See you soon mate.

Adam
  • edited December 2013
    Hi mate...honoured to have a post dedicated to me in the best diary on sky (don't tell Gazza I said that) and at least I put your chips to good use! That was a bit of a nasty hand really with the metagame between us - and like you say all the missed draws on the river - I think you had to call.   .... As for the football...I really hope that Burnley can keep the pace but to be honest I am not overly confident...I think we're heading for another day out at Wembley. Oh and by the way you've made Mrs B angry lol! See you soon mate. Adam
    Posted by bromley04
    Well done
    Just had a look and great to see that you won it.
    Upset Mrs B? Gulp

Burnley v Derby, March 1st
    Meet up?
  • edited December 2013
    Hi mate...honoured to have a post dedicated to me in the best diary on sky (don't tell Gazza I said that) and at least I put your chips to good use! That was a bit of a nasty hand really with the metagame between us - and like you say all the missed draws on the river - I think you had to call.   .... As for the football...I really hope that Burnley can keep the pace but to be honest I am not overly confident...I think we're heading for another day out at Wembley. Oh and by the way you've made Mrs B angry lol! See you soon mate. Adam
    Posted by bromley04

Clearly that chicken meant nothing to you!!

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Clearly that chicken meant nothing to you!!
    Posted by gazza127
    Ha...it's still repeating on me!!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Well done Just had a look and great to see that you won it. Upset Mrs B? Gulp Burnley v Derby, March 1st Meet up?
    Posted by Jac35
    Cheers mate.

Definitely meet up for the Burnley v Derby game.  I will PM you my mobile number and then we can discuss details in due course.
  • edited December 2013
    Adam

Got your PM
    Can't respond at moment, on iPad.
    When I get the laptop going later tonight, I'll PM you.
  • edited December 2013

Sigh

I'm the worst.
    1/13 in the £55 BH

Out 13

Raised 9 10 hearts and turned 2 pair. Called the shove on river.

He had flopped top 2. He was playing quite strangely. Doing a lot of limping and calling every time in his big blind. He'd shoved a few times but I hadn't got to see his cards. Hmmm, I can make all the excuses I like. I seem to have forgotten how to fold.

So annoyed with myself. Played in 4 UKOPS tourneys over the last couple of nights. That's more than I play in a month normally. Went deep in 1  but short of cash, nowhere in another and cashed in 2.

Silly mistakes have cost me twice now.
    I am most definitely a dunce

On a more cheerful note. We're 2nd now. Prob sign Tevez in January to help with the push.
    Also, played golf today and I wasn't altogether terrible.

Also resisted the temptation to have my say on a couple of ridiculous threads today. Pat on the back for that. I'll leave all that to Harry from now on, I think.

A great looking new diary has just started as well! Looking forward to reading more.

Can't wait for the next instalment from VickiPKR

• edited December 2013
    Sigh I'm the worst. 1/13 in the £55 BH Out 13 Raised 9 10 hearts and turned 2 pair. Called the shove on river. He had flopped top 2. He was playing quite strangely. Doing a lot of limping and calling every time in his big blind. He'd shoved a few times but I hadn't got to see his cards. Hmmm, I can make all the excuses I like. I seem to have forgotten how to fold. So annoyed with myself. Played in 4 UKOPS tourneys over the last couple of nights. That's more than I play in a month normally. Went deep in 1  but short of cash, nowhere in another and cashed in 2. Silly mistakes have cost me twice now. I am most definitely a dunce .... On a more cheerful note. We're 2nd now. Prob sign Tevez in January to help with the push. Also, played golf today and I wasn't altogether terrible. .... Also resisted the temptation to have my say on a couple of ridiculous threads today. Pat on the back for that. I'll leave all that to Harry from now on, I think. .... A great looking new diary has just started as well! Looking forward to reading more. Can't wait for the next instalment from VickiPKR
    Posted by Jac35
    I think he/she has been forum banned.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : I think he/she has been forum banned.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Oh, that would be a shame.
    To be honest,  it was actually a poor attempt at taking the p!ss regarding Harrys diary :)