You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited January 2014
    Well, if you're read the thread I've just put up, then I'm sure you can appreciate that I was a little stressed earlier tonight. Really grateful that I've been refunded.

It was a shame as well because things were going really well up to that point. Had won the majority of my games. I was also quite determined to put in a big session. Daren't play anymore tonight now

Still made 305 points for the day. While I'm not going to make the top ten, it will be nice to make priority for the first time.
    Bankroll is now up to £1031.34 from the original £500 on January 1st. Obviously delighted with that. I include my reward points as profit, as it's money I wouldn't gave had if I hadn't played. £49 for last month

Bankroll thing is just for this month only, I promise. Just for my benefit really. Keeps me quite focussed while playing at a higher stake.
  • edited January 2014
    Impressive going after a few days!

Keep the results coming
  • edited January 2014
    Nice results paul!

As I said a few posts up your playing well, keep it up and the results will keep coming. WP.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Well, if you're read the thread I've just put up, then I'm sure you can appreciate that I was a little stressed earlier tonight. Really grateful that I've been refunded. I
    Posted by Jac35
    Brutal disconnect, always sad to see a player get blinded away on so many tables. Glad they refunded you sir! Be weary of that high level DYM variance. Low volume and higher stakes can equal headaches! 2014 come at us
  • edited January 2014
    Jac. I am originally from Derby and now moved to the Dark Side (Nottingham), used to play golf at Breadsall Priory and now at Cotgrave,  where do u play ??

• edited January 2014
    Jac. I am originally from Derby and now moved to the Dark Side (Nottingham), used to play golf at Breadsall Priory and now at Cotgrave,  where do u play ??
    Posted by ALFIE123

I heard he is usually found in the bunkers.....or boring everyone senseless with bad beat stories at the 19th hole.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : I heard he is usually found in the bunkers.....or boring everyone senseless with bad beat stories at the 19th hole.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Haha. Same as every golfer then.
  • edited January 2014
    Posted by ALFIE123
    Hi Alfie

I was at Mickleover as a Junior. I played there for around 20 years. I moved to within about 2 minutes of the course about 7 years ago and promptly joined Horsley! I've been there for around 5 years now. Don't know whether you've played it?

Very nice course. To quickly answer that Maxally blokes rudeness, you'll rarely find me in the clubhouse. It's the only thing that really lets it down. Not used much by the members and no atmosphere at all.

Love my golf holidays as I've mentioned a few times in the thread. Turnberry last year was a highlight. Wonderful course. Guessing those days are over for a while now. Baby due in February.

Never played Cotgrave. Heard good things though.
    Stop playing so well at the Dyms's btw. Rather annoying :)
  • edited January 2014
    Done for the day.
    Bit below required amount for priority but still on schedule. 3105 points

Bit mixed today. Had a couple of outrageous bits of luck. Couple of bad run outs as well.
    Thought it was quite funny when after rivering a set someone tapped in "Ha Ha were even now" Never seen him before but I guess I must have put a beat on him at some stage :) At least we're even.

Bankroll has climbed slightly £1051.68

Small loser on the Dyms today.

Played a bit of cash earlier and I'm in a little bit of a quandary regarding it.
    During the afternoon, the Dym traffic can be quite light. I have been sitting at 2 or 3 cash tables till the Dyms start to fill up. A few times I've doubled up and then left after 5/10 mins when I'm up to 6/7 Dyms. I think it's probably a bit disrespectful and I wouldn't want to get the "hit and run" tag.
    I did say to the guys on one table that I wouldn't be there long, win or lose. I didn't have time on the other 2 as the games were filling up.
    Maybe it would be best just to leave the cash at the moment.
    I could always spend the time boring people on the forum as usual ;)
  • edited January 2014
    Just back from the pub.
    Decided that I'm going to stop with the bankroll updates. Been a bit uncomfortable with them from the start, as I've run well. 
    When, in a Dym tonight, a player said "when's your next bragging post coming?" It helped me reach my decision.
    This was from a player who has started threads entitled "biggest Dym winner on sky - question and answer" and in Dym threads has put "rub the lamp and the genie may appear" so I know it must look bad. :)

Never really my intention. My idea at the start was just to keep a track of how I was doing. If I could break even for the month and maybe make £400+ in Rakeback plus a PS4 then I would be quite happy.

Thought I would stop it now before a losing day. Otherwise, I'd get the wrath of Gary :)

From the Dyms tonight I have to say IDCU was running really badly. I know he's had a tough day and empathise with him. Losses can become quite big quickly at the £22 Dyms and I felt for him a bit.

Also think that the regs at the £22's must have started making notes on me. Got snapped off in a game with K3 when I shoved.
    Fortunately, I had the mighty K4 and binked the 4. I might be running well at the moment ;)

• edited January 2014
    "Not used much by the members and no atmosphere at all."

Pride Park?
  • edited January 2014
    "Not used much by the members and no atmosphere at all." Pride Park?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    "Ipro Stadium"

Now sod off
  • edited January 2014
    Decided that I'm going to stop with the bankroll updates. Been a bit uncomfortable with them from the start, as I've run well.  When, in a Dym tonight, a player said "when's your next bragging post coming?" It helped me reach my decision.
    Posted by Jac35

what!

so you'd have been more comfortable if you'd run bad.
    told you before about that thin skin of yours. 
    so what if somebody is jealous of your success
    there are literally thousands of players who find your thread so uplifting
    and it brings them hope
    that if jac can run good
    then maybe they can too
    why take that from them?
  • edited January 2014
    I get the same kinda comments now and again.

Can be a bit of a downer when someone says that.  However I think its best just to think £%$* them if im doing well.  I've posted through the bad... i'll post through the good.

You should too IMO.
  • edited January 2014
    Cheers guys

Love that one Geldy!
    'If Jac can run good maybe anyone can'
    Think I'll take it as a compliment :)

Had a good day yesterday. Played alrightish, ran ridiculously well. Only played 15 games but won 12 of them. 2 of the games I lost were £11's so that helped as well. £143 up for the day.

Just played a few games. Reg infested to say the least! Think I prefer the evenings.
    Flashflush playing solid, Eamonn playing his usual strong game and a few other good players. Won 3 lost 3. Again a bit lucky as one of the losses was in a £11 so break even. Struggling with the £11's a bit at the moment.

As I'm now the brag king I may as well mention that I've got my first ever gold star! It'll be gone tomorrow but it was nice to see it.
    Got a strong feeling we'll get stuffed tonight. Leicester always batter us. Interesting to see if either Bamford or Bennett get a game. Thought Bennett looked sharp when he came on against Chelsea. Bamfords meant to be the real deal as well. 
    No doubt we'll go with the hopeless Jaimie Ward instead. (Now Conor's out of the picture, Wards the one I'm gunning for these days)
    Watched that Maxally bloke beating up his table last night in the £3000 guaranteed. Hope he won it, know he got heads up but he was pussyfooting about a bit, so I had to leave him to it and go to bed.
  • edited January 2014

I got 2nd!!

Massive chip lead then this.....

J7 v K7 on a J79 flop...all in. Turn K, River J.
    K9 v 97 aipf......flop A 10 7....3.....4.

Now sod off.
  • edited January 2014
    Thread temporarily closed
  • edited January 2014
    And reopened 

Derby were rubbish. Scoreline flattered us.

We'll move on quickly.
    Poker was a bit of a battle today. Can hardly grumble as I've run so well. Just one of those days when some lets say speculative hands got there. 

Pleased that I grinded it out. Managed to win my last 3 games to record a £45 profit on the day. 
    Trying to remain disciplined at the moment. Ignoring cash and although getting tempted, I'm leaving the tourneys alone as well. Played 2 all week. A sat and the £2 rebuy tonight. Didn't top up, bust and didn't  rebuy.

Another 400 points in the bag. Still on for priority. I dont really know if there's much point in making priority. Couple of freerolls , I think? Just a target I've set myself now as I want to get more volume in. It's unlikely that I'm going to be able to get out and play live much over the next few month. With that in mind I want to give the £20 Dyms a real go and see where it can take me.
  • edited January 2014

Hi Jac,

only just returned to sky this year after a long needed break from poker. (well sort of... don't really count 1c/2c do you  he he )

good to see you've moved up levels, (I think...used to see you around the £3 & deffo £5's in my day lol)
    yeah deffo keep posting results up... why not. always nice to see players doing well.
    keep up the good work mate.
    best wishes
    dev

• edited January 2014
    And reopened  Derby were rubbish. Scoreline flattered us. ...... We'll move on quickly. Poker was a bit of a battle today. Can hardly grumble as I've run so well. Just one of those days when some lets say speculative hands got there.  Pleased that I grinded it out. Managed to win my last 3 games to record a £45 profit on the day.  Trying to remain disciplined at the moment. Ignoring cash and although getting tempted, I'm leaving the tourneys alone as well. Played 2 all week. A sat and the £2 rebuy tonight. Didn't top up, bust and didn't  rebuy. .... Another 400 points in the bag. Still on for priority. I dont really know if there's much point in making priority. Couple of freerolls , I think? Just a target I've set myself now as I want to get more volume in. It's unlikely that I'm going to be able to get out and play live much over the next few month. With that in mind I want to give the £20 Dyms a real go and see where it can take me.
    Posted by Jac35

Honeymoon is over! 

1.5m reported for Nahki Wells, Huddersfield !!???? He'll score tonnes, might've been the difference between top 6 and top 2 had you got him?

Diary is getting serious, good to see you moving on up! 

• edited January 2014
    Hi Jac, only just returned to sky this year after a long needed break from poker. (well sort of... don't really count 1c/2c do you  he he ) good to see you've moved up levels, (I think...used to see you around the £3 & deffo £5's in my day lol) yeah deffo keep posting results up... why not. always nice to see players doing well. keep up the good work mate. best wishes dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    Cheers Dev
    Nice to see you back
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : Honeymoon is over!  1.5m reported for Nahki Wells, Huddersfield !!???? He'll score tonnes, might've been the difference between top 6 and top 2 had you got him? Diary is getting serious, good to see you moving on up! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I'll have to recitify that then
    Think I know what you mean
  • edited January 2014
    Just played for an hour. Made a little bit but actually ran pretty rubbish. Last game I think one of the players didn't know it was a flat payout structure. He finished it on about 9500! Super patience was required and got it in good but a pesky river killed me. Game before the hungry hippo that is CTBN got me with Ace Jack v my JJ. Pretty sure that I have never ever, ever, won a hand against him. Even live he beat me up in the 1/2 cash game at Newcastle. He's a most unpleasant character. :)

I've retired from troll hunting but if there are any secret troll fanboys reading this, this is for you.

We keep reading about "being completely robbed by Sky"
    These guys just don't seem to realise that it is often how they've played previously to the supposed bad beat that has caused their downfall. When you've limp/folded your way through a tournament and then shove your last 5 bigs with QQ etc and King 10 for example outdraws you, this is not really a bad beat. You should be called by these short of hands for that amount.

I think it's unlikely that during any tournament, the eventual winners have won every single hand. The key is that they have put themselves in a position where they can withstand the beat. At SPT Birmingham, with around 20 left I was in a great position. Bill Maynard limped into my big blind. He had limped a lot and folded to a raise every time. I looked down at a big hand and shoved. Not great from me but with blinds and antes high, it was ok. I knew I was doomed when he looked at the dealer and in Bullseye mode said something like "well, I've had a lovely day Jim but I'm tired now and want to go home" He called the shove with 78 and hit trips on the river. He then gave me the Greengrass wink, grrr. Lovely man though. If I'd won I would have been chipleader. As it was, I went back into the pack. The important bit was, I was still in.

I put a pretty bad one on someone not long after that and luckboxed my way to the win. (See it's all another brag after all)
    Seriously though, I will never understand this thing with RNG's being rigged etc. And in truth, it's taken some time!, I just think they is no point trying to discuss it with people who are not willing to listen to a little bit of reason. JD, bless him, is still trying.

That was all a bit long even for me. Think I'm done for the day. Meal and beer.
    Run good

• edited January 2014
    Yippee
    Going out fell through and so came back on and heatered.

Played 3 of the dreaded £30's and win 2 wiiiiii. ROI now only -54.4 in them :)

Won 7 of last 8 and £174 in total. You know your lucks in when you misclick call a 1700 bet with 7 high on the river and still cash! One player didn't believe me when I said it was a misclick and said I was shitt. (Weirdo)

It's going to turn soon, of that, there's no doubt. Enjoying it while it lasts though.
    Decent points tonight as well. Up to about 4300 now, so well on course.

Had a shove called by 89 in one game! May have to tighten up a notch. :)
  • edited January 2014
    Love reading this after finishing my sessions.
    Long may the heater continue pal.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Jac, hope you keep going with this post as I pop in from time to time to have a read.

Amazing results to date this year (despite your connection issues!).

Makes me tempted to up my stakes but I wil remain disciplined as I think those sort of winnings puts poker in a different realm! 

Best of luck at the tables and look forward to following your progress.

Ger
  • edited January 2014

I'm have always enjoyed this thread and I'm pleased to see the move up in stakes is going well, keep it up.

I have a question about downswings in DYM's. How long can they last? I'm on one at the minute, nothing too nasty yet but the win rate has certainly taken a hit!! Do you just keep playing the same and wait for things to turn around? Drop down a level?

• edited January 2014
    Ger, Pat

Ta for kind words 
    Waller

The downswings can be gross. I had a spell a while ago where I was pretty much just treading water for around a 1000 games.
    With regards to dropping down a level, I think we just have to be honest with ourselves. Are we capable of beating the level? Have we just run well do far? In your case, from the games I've played with you, I think you would comfortably be a long term winner at the £10 level. Your games really good.

If your games good to begin with, then there is no reason to change how we play. I suspect that you are subconsciously doing this though. It's a natural thing we do when running bad and we have to be aware of it quickly. When confidence is low, we often make decisions based on not wanting to be outdrawn again and lose value with our big hands. Other mistakes we make can be not calling it off when we should and so on.

I'm reading a lot at the moment about it's all about 4 handed. I agree to an extent but I think it can be taken too far. For example, There is a huge grinder at the higher stakes who basically folds his way to 4 handed in every game. He rarely cashes though and is a big loser in the games. He just gets picked on throughout the game. When he finally shoves his last 4 bigs with a decent hand, he'll normally get called by a big stack and then tells everyone in the chat box how bad they are when he gets outdrawn. Even when he doubles up, he's still the short stack.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks for the reply mate.

You are spot on about the confidence issue, I don't think it is altering the way I play too much but it isn't good when I'm expecting to get outdrawn. I'm just gonna try and weather the storm, I won't be dropping down a level (unless my BR says otherwise, I am sticking to good BRM this time!!) The frustrating thing is that I will win 7/10, think I've turned the corner then get kicked in balls again haha.

I am putting in a lot more volume this month so I guess I'm going to see a lot more harsh beats than usual!

Thanks again and keep up the good work on your tables!
  • edited January 2014
    Played golf - was good
    Watched Liverpool match - was good

Quick 9 game poker session - was..hmmm

Somehow won £13.50
    It was full of non regs and to be perfectly honest,  I couldn't work them out at all.

Got accused of colluding with the other 2 in a game!

Then, last game, 3 of us are hanging on. There's a guy with 9000 chips who's simply played and won every hand.
    Blinds at 300/600 and it's his big blind. Small blind shoves for about 750 and he .... Passes!
    My blind next hand and GG me. 

To quote the donk "to say I'm angry is an understatement"
    Actually, I'm not angry at all. Just a bit odd.

Bubble time and short stacks doubled up every time. Lost with KK and AA twice. Got walks with KK twice when short.
    Big escape not to lose loads.
    Off to pub if I don't get blown out late again!