You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited January 2014

Made hard work of that Jacco!

I was preparing my rant, but that 94th minute winner made a lot of punters very happy ;)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man:
    Made hard work of that Jacco! I was preparing my rant, but that 94th minute winner made a lot of punters very happy ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Ah, now I understand.

I was at the game and couldn't work out how lowly Yeovil were beating the Mighty Rams. You had money on it!
    They're the best games of all when you win like that. Think I'm gonna get a ticket for Birmingham on Saturday now.

Took my niece. She thought we had gone 3-0 just after half time. Didn't realise that we'd changed ends. She also thought they were called Yonderfield. Glad her ticket was only a fiver.

Urgh Dyms tonight. Huge escape. I've run so well this month that it was inevitable things were going to turn at some stage. That's just how it works. Made a couple of horrible calls early on but I luckboxed the hands. Thought "this is nice, normal kind of stuff, play bad and win" Then it turned.

Felt I was actually playing better as I got into it and so stopped for a bit and looked at my exits. All in pre I lost with overpairs 6 times. Funniest was when I had KK and QQ binked his Q. Another player kindly informed me that he had folded a Q. "Oh really? cheers for that"

Also, it was one of those heavily frustrating nights when every short stack all in resulted in a double up.

Oddly enough I felt better after the quick review. There are always times when the cards will go against you. If you're happy with your play though, it's fine.

Rediscovered the rungood at the end and managed to finish £24 down. Add in the near enough 500 rakeback points and it's a great result. Was looking like being a £200+ touch for a lot of the night.

I've really got to sort my sleep out. Gonna feel evil in the morning. Up at 5.30. What am I doing being awake at this time? I'm a fool!
  • edited January 2014
    Pokers rubbish at the moment. Not getting lucky like normal. Doing this losing thing that's not very pleasant. :)
    Crossed the line at last for Priority and I've had a really good month. Just playing cr.ap  last couple of days.
    Down around £60 today and I'm packing in the Dyms for the night. Feel that I would lose more. D game not getting the job done.

Was playing too many games and missed the add-on in the main which was a bit dumb.

So, just mini left now. Gonna 1 table like a boss and get the job done.

Always the way. After playing till long past midnight last night and having to get up at 5.30, work was hideously tough today. Feel rubbish. Gonna double up or go to bed early. I will be even more shove happy than usual.

I'd love to know who it is at Sky that thinks cr.ap is an offensive word!
  • edited January 2014
    Oh, super

Forget the D game I was playing in the Dyms.
    In the mini I employed the 'I've never played before' or 'abuse me, I'm the shi!!est player in the world approach'
    Take your pick. Both fit the bill quite well.
    Through being very lucky I stumbled my way through to the bubble. I folded a big hand to Andrew1947 because I wanted to cash after a bad day (I know, I know) but then decided to go with JJ when I was clearly behind and bubbled.

Think I'm going to have to consider retirement.
    I'm the worst.
    One fun thing earlier in a Dym. Some player was grumbling about Sky being rigged. He didn't answer
    my question, which was "why do you play here then?"

Then bizarrely some guy not playing piped in with "Sky deffo rigged"
    Cool! That guy needs to question what he's doing with his life when he's railing £20 Dym games

Just to recap
    I'm the worst
  • edited February 2014
    At the start of Jan I set myself  some targets.
    Plan was to make the top 10 in the promotion.
    Play £20 Dyms as my standard buy in.
    Start with £500 and hopefully make a few quid.

Quickly realised that even with playing the higher stake Dyms, I wasn't going to make the Top 20. I put in a lot more hours than normal but had to settle for Top 50 and the freeroll. Made priority for the 1st time which was good. And unless people have gone absolutely crazy on the last day will have made the freeroll. 

Did play more £20's than any other stake and got off to a flyer. Certainly helped me feel comfortable with them and was good to get to know a few of the regs at that stake. Some really nice guys there, good players as well. Eamonn, Miraj etc

Turned the £500 into £2061. Guessing around £230 to come in Rakeback as well. Couldn't be happier with result. I did run very well and certainly won more than my fair share of flips. Played around 7 or 8 tourneys and had a 1st for £188. Dabbled every so often with cash. Won a few buy ins but certainly I'm weaker than the good regs and think I could well lose over time if I played much.
    So what do we do in February? 
    Play less for sure. Too many other things that I like doing and big family stuff happening. I imagine that I'm actually unlikely to ever make priority again. Had extra motivation with the promotion and with the weather being awful, plenty of time to play.
    Pretty sure I will stick with the £20's as the main game. Just need to be aware that I'm probably due a bad run and step down as and when I need to. Oh, no more bankroll updates. Strictly a one off thing last month.

• edited February 2014
    Hi Jac, amazing month and Im genuinely delighted for you.

Well done and good luck at the tables for Feb.

Ger
  • edited February 2014
    Great month, jac.

Well done on hitting your targets. Lovely feeling when effort pays off

Hope you keep crushing and run well on and off the tables over the new year.
  • edited February 2014
    Fantastic results jac keep it going
  • edited February 2014

BRILLIANT  BRILLIANT   BRILLIANT

WHAT MORE CAN I SAY....

WELL PLAYED PAUL !!!

Think that just about covers it.

run good in Feb too...

Dev
  • edited February 2014
    BRILLIANT  BRILLIANT   BRILLIANT WHAT MORE CAN I SAY.... WELL PLAYED PAUL !!! Think that just about covers it. run good in Feb too... Dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    +1

Well done mate, great month!
  • edited February 2014
    BRILLIANT  BRILLIANT   BRILLIANT WHAT MORE CAN I SAY.... WELL PLAYED PAUL !!! Think that just about covers it. run good in Feb too... Dev
    Posted by devonfish5

+2

& here's hoping your family february performs as well
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks a lot for kind words chaps.

I've never really been very confident about my poker. I have some glaring leaks in cash and tourneys. In the Dyms and this is probably through the sheer volume of games, I feel the most confident.

I keep waiting for the bubbie to burst. Whenever I have a losing session, I really start to doubt myself. By now I should be past all that but it's just the way I am. One thing that didn't help much was a forum reg who I always got on well with has really gone for me this month. 

Pretty much every game he has made comments about how the downswing will come soon. Plenty of comments about how badly I've played hands. I pointed out that I've played 8000 games and my stats should be fairly realistic at this stage. He replied that until I've played 10000 I shouldn't take much notice of ROI. Thought this was silly but he then claimed I'm delusional if I think i will continue with my results and I just don't understand math.

Found it really disappointing and let it get to me a bit. Deregged all my games one night as I was just a bit fed up with it. I asked him to give it a rest and he said he was on a 600 game downswing and suggested a truce. A truce? I thought we were friends and I haven't made any derogatory comments towards him. It's made me quite sad.

So, thanks again. It's nice when people are nice.

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man :   +2 & here's hoping your family february performs as well
    Posted by GELDY
    Ta Geldy.

Yes, this is a bigger month for sure. :)
    Off to get my haircut for official Baby Jackson pics in a few minutes. Suppose I need to look fairly respectable.
    Penny is doing really well. Seeing the consultant tomorrow. Due next Sunday.
  • edited February 2014
    Urgh

First live outing for ages. Flopping sets for fun. Losing to a lot of straights. Softest game ever.
    Down £260 at present

Live poker obv rigged.
    Wish me luck
  • edited February 2014
    Sigh
    got no better 
    unfortunately.  Ended up 260 down.
    One bonus though.  Guy who took most of it off me in, between taking most of my cigarettes,told me that when I bluff I stay quiet. 
    yep; cheers for rubdown.

loving the live pokes
  • edited February 2014
    Oh dear

Came home last night and thought I would play a bit more. Yeah. That was a good idea. Played terribly. Actually, that's a huge understatement. Was actually embarrassed. Miraculously, I only lost £140. Still, not one of my better days.

I'm a dunce. Thought the days of tilting buy ins away were gone. I'm rubbish at cash yet I still play it on occasion. Thicko.

Not sure if anyone else ever does this but did the big withdraw thing. Left very little in my account. I read that today was the day that priority members would get their Rakeback. However, not paid yet and a phone call to customer care and they tell me there is an issue with the data. It may be paid today. Doesn't really matter I suppose but just made me a little more sulky.

So, very little in my account. On reflection, that's probably a good thing. 
  • edited February 2014
    Oh dear Came home last night and thought I would play a bit more. Yeah. That was a good idea. Played terribly. Actually, that's a huge understatement. Was actually embarrassed. Miraculously, I only lost £140. Still, not one of my better days. I'm a dunce. Thought the days of tilting buy ins away were gone. I'm rubbish at cash yet I still play it on occasion. Thicko. Not sure if anyone else ever does this but did the big withdraw thing. Left very little in my account. I read that today was the day that priority members would get their Rakeback. However, not paid yet and a phone call to customer care and they tell me there is an issue with the data. It may be paid today. Doesn't really matter I suppose but just made me a little more sulky. So, very little in my account. On reflection, that's probably a good thing. 
    Posted by Jac35
    I did that the other day.

I withdrew 90% of my balance last week as I was playing badly and hitting a bit of tilt.

Ofc I snap reloaded it about 4 hours later.

What was the point in that.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an 'old' man : I did that the other day. I withdrew 90% of my balance last week as I was playing badly and hitting a bit of tilt. Ofc I snap reloaded it about 4 hours later. What was the point in that.
    Posted by gazza127
    Maybe it's something in the thread titles Gazza. We both seem to be little similar in how we deal with things. In my case it's ridiculous after all the years I've been playing.

I seem to have huge over reactions to bad days. What's that tedious saying again?
    "That's poker"

Well, I guess it is. 
    One day every time we raise with our pocket pair we hit a set on the ace high board and get the double up. We think we're playing great. Next day, every time we reraise preflop with AK and c-bet when we miss and have to fold to the reraise, we suddenly think that we're rubbish at the game.

Just how it goes sometimes.
  • edited February 2014
    Perspective 

I'm a knob sometimes. (Ok, quite a lot of the time)

I've run really well recently. I have one bad day and do a load of moaning. What a tool.

Had a word with myself. Right now is the absolute best time of my life. Baby Jackson will be with us in the next few days and life is wonderful. What on earth am I doing moaning about losing a few quid on one night. Gonna stop it.

I heard something dreadful the other day. A lad I went to school with committed suicide. He was a wonderful sportsman. Annoyingly, just that bit better than me at everything. I played golf with him a year or so ago. Played off 2 and was fantastic at the game. Things suddenly got a bit much for him and he saw no way out. Poor man.

I need to wake up and realise that I have a lovely life. 
    Hopefully my next post will be to let you know that we have a new addition. Maybe time for a change to the thread title :)
  • edited February 2014
    How about....

Ramblings of an 'old' dad :)
  • edited February 2014

"colloquy with an umbrageous radix"
  • edited February 2014
    "colloquy with an umbrageous radix"
    Posted by GELDY
    Go on then, I'll have a bash at it.

Is it something like

Paul has once again taken something to heart that he shouldn't have
    Or
    Geldy is disappointed or irritated by a post or posts in this thread

Please respond in a manner in which the Jac35's of this world can easily understand.
  • edited February 2014
    oh dear - seems i'm getting an ill-founded reputation here!

just updating your current title

you don't merely ramble - definitely some higher brow discussions on this thread - colloquies indeed
    you have admitted to be umbrageous (thin-skinned)
    and changing man to dad or parent wastes an opportunity - and radix - source or origin - can refer to both your imminent arrival as well as your colloquies

all good - no?

it is also fitting - in the same way as no-one would have expected the real you behind the previous thread title - that doesn't change
  • edited February 2014
    Harry David Jackson would like to say "Hi" to everyone at Sky
    Born at 20:48, 05/02/2014
    7lb 4oz
    Baby perfect. Penny exhausted but doing fine
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of a New Daddy:
    Harry David Jackson would like to say "Hi" to everyone at Sky Born at 20:48, 05/02/2014 7lb 4oz Baby perfect. Penny exhausted but doing fine
    Posted by Jac35
    Absolutely brilliant news mate! Congratulations to you both!!
  • edited February 2014
    wiiiii
    congrats Paul & Penny
    jac35 takes it down again!
  • edited February 2014

Congratulations Paul & Penny.

• edited February 2014
    Congratulations really pleased for you.
  • edited February 2014
    congrats to the both of yous
  • edited February 2014
    congrats on the new baby and sorry about your friend makes you realise a couple of bad beats is nothing in the grand scheme of things..good luck on the tables