You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    It's Jack Comer, aka "Jack Spot".   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Comer That's where the likeness to you ends, in the name, but he was some character. The heavily scarred face is because Mad Frankie Fraser "sorted him out" one night over a bit of bad business. (That cost Frankie 7 years bird).   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Fraser Jack Spot's bio was called " Man of a Thousand Cuts ". Carry on, as you were.
    Posted by Tikay10
    That's clever
    Pity it was wasted on someone of my limited knowledge Tony. I didn't know who it was and was trying to think it through logically. I really should have considered the East End gangsters of your youth.
    Quite a story
  • edited September 2014
    If only it always went that smoothly!
    Bbmike mentioned the other day that I seem to be pretty good at getting out of holes I find myself in and end up making some cash.
    I think I prefer how it's gone tonight. Way less stressful.
     'Do as I say, not as I do'
    Considering that I've often said to Dev that if things are going well we should carry on, I didn't listen to my
     own advice and stopped after 6 games.
    Played 6 won 6.  £117 profit, just ran great.  Should have carried on but I'm weak willed and I couldn't turn down the pub when I got a text.

This was meant to be a high volume month but it's not happened at all up to now. Only played 4 days so far as I've had a few things on. Only got 36 Dyms in so far but with an average stake of just over £20 points add up quickly. If I ever get round to a proper month, I think 15-20k points wouldn't be too difficult.
    Spot update
    Still bloody there. Just about able to go out in public now. Obviously only when it gets dark, mind.
    England have just gone 1 up. Bit of a surprise but then I realised that we're just playing a team of Swiss celebrities, to give us a chance. Didn't know that Shakira was Swiss

England not quite as strong as in years gone by?
    Milner has just come on for his 50th cap! Only 7 behind Gascoigne now 
  • edited September 2014
    Add another reg to the trip to Dublin Ian McMonster is coming over to play aswell
  • edited September 2014
    Add another reg to the trip to Dublin Ian McMonster is coming over to play aswell
    Posted by day4eire76
    Good news Pat
  • edited September 2014
    It's Jack Comer, aka "Jack Spot".   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Comer That's where the likeness to you ends, in the name, but he was some character. The heavily scarred face is because Mad Frankie Fraser "sorted him out" one night over a bit of bad business. (That cost Frankie 7 years bird).   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Fraser Jack Spot's bio was called " Man of a Thousand Cuts ". Carry on, as you were.
    Posted by Tikay10
    It is a strange euphemism for prison, as I am thinking more technically it is 7 years without bird, lol
  • edited September 2014
    Normal service resumed tonight.

I won 3 out of my 1st 4 Dyms. I was a little disgruntled that I lost the one £33 I played.
    So, I played some more. Oops
    I won the fine sum of 3 more games. This was out of another 12 I played. Whereas I ran really well last night, tonight was the opposite.

So the hole was well and truly dug.

The Dyms dried up and so moved on to a mix of 30, 40 and 50nl. Not normally a great idea as I'm a bit rubbish at cash.

Started wonderfully though. Made a very disguised 2nd nuts 3rd or 4th hand in. Pity that he had the even more disguised super nuts. 1 buy in gone

Then, things turned round a little. I had Aces v Queens and won! stuff like that. Even someone as bad as me at cash was able to win a few pots. Realised it was time to pack up for the night when I started playing even more like a xxxx than usual. Flatted Ivans raise on the button with AKss. Nice play Paul!

Ended up getting myself out of the hole and up £3.27 in profit for the night. Awesome! Well it certainly was when at one stage including Dyms regged for, my balance was down £334 on the night.

Started at 8.30. At 9.15 I was £20 up. At 01.14 I'm £3.27 up. Should have listened to Dev. Book the win next time Jac.

Reward points good, I make it 401 on the night.
    Fun Dym hand of the night was a first hand exit. My plays pretty bad but my opponents? hmmm
    I have AKss in BB. Utg makes it 60 and button calls. I can prob flat here at this stage but I 3bet to 200. Utg passes and button calls. My notes on button are not complimentary(gotta try and excuse my play somehow!)
    Flop is 789 with 2 spades. With the nut flush draw I lead for 200 and he 3bets to 670. At this stage I can prob fold but I do the "fxxk it" thing and decide to get it in. Opponent has J3(no spades). 10 on turn, Buggger!
    Spot is maybe starting to disappear. Must be getting better as I dared to go out in daylight today.
  • edited September 2014
    All good

Bought a new pap pap yesterday. 
    Break up for a week today.
    Laid some turf a while ago and it seems to have taken. Proper little Percy Thrower me. It might sound basic but given that I'm the worlds most useful person at doing jobs like this, I'm quite proud of myself. 
    Trying to sort out my golf trip next year for my 40th (gulp). Plan was for St Andrews in October. Looks as though that might not work out as the one week I can get off, there are no tee times. Any suggestions welcome.  Some great deals for Turnberry but did that last year. Ideally would be an Open course with a couple of other decent courses as well. A mates thrown in the idea of a bit of sunshine golf abroad which is pretty tempting as well. 

Have a good weekend everyone
  • edited September 2014
    Sunshine Golf abroad?

I always enjoyed my trips to the Algarve.
    Beautiful weather and loads of courses to choose from.
    Maybe worth a look?
  • edited September 2014
    Aberdeen/Inverness is a great area for golfing, new Trump course, Royal Aberdeen and loads more less wellknown options.

The deals at Castle Stewart, Nairn, Dornoch as a package are fantastic, contact them direct. You fly into Inverness.

Neil
  • edited September 2014
    Mick
    Good shout. Never played there and heard so many good reports

Neil
    You've really got me thinking there. Some years ago I went up to the Highlands and played at Durness, Reay and Brora. Had a great time and have always wanted to go back and play Dornoch. You're right about the deals as well. Just looked and if I was going this October then we could play Castle Stuart, Dornoch and Nairn plus 2 nights accommodation for £365.
    Just got to convince the others it's worth the 9 hour drive
    Could probably break it up a bit by playing North Berwick on the way up.
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Jac

There is some great deals to play on the north coast of Northern Ireland below is a tourney: - 

Also check this site

£199 and you get to play royal portrush the open champ course in a couple of years. Played it last year at the north or ireland champs and is fantastic best course i have ever played.

Others in the area,

Castlerock
    Valley (Other course at portrush)
    Portstewart they have 3 courses
    Ballycastle

Loads more too many to choose from. We are spolt over here.

Me and few mates are thinking of going to Spain next year cant beat GTD sunshine
  • edited September 2014
    Was unfaithful again tonight. 2nd time this year.
    Played a sat and a mtt on another site. Both were great value. £2000 added in a €20 deepstack and 6 seats guaranteed for the IPO next month. I missed out unfortuantely in the sat and ran deep in the deepstack before busting in pretty gross fashion. Great news was that CPFC qualified. Must be tough running like Eamonn. One hand was pretty standard for him. He 3bet KK and picked up 2 callers. Flopped quads and one of his opponents decided to shove. Tough game right?

I played some Dyms on here as well. It's been a bit of a tough month for me so far in them. Oddly cash has been really good for me which has kept me ahead. Tonight went much much better though. Won 11 out of 14 for a £99 profit on the night plus 200 odd Rakeback points.

I grumbled a bit about the new software a while ago. Having played on the other site tonight, I don't think that I'll be moaning again. Sky seemed much crisper and the layout was better in my opinion. I very rarely lose connection on here but on the other site I must have disco'ed at least 10 times. 

Learned me lesson. Won't play around in future
  • edited September 2014
    Was unfaithful again tonight. 2nd time this year. Played a sat and a mtt on another site. Both were great value. £2000 added in a €20 deepstack and 6 seats guaranteed for the IPO next month. I missed out unfortuantely in the sat and ran deep in the deepstack before busting in pretty gross fashion. Great news was that CPFC qualified. Must be tough running like Eamonn. One hand was pretty standard for him. He 3bet KK and picked up 2 callers. Flopped quads and one of his opponents decided to shove. Tough game right? I played some Dyms on here as well. It's been a bit of a tough month for me so far in them. Oddly cash has been really good for me which has kept me ahead. Tonight went much much better though. Won 11 out of 14 for a £99 profit on the night plus 200 odd Rakeback points. I grumbled a bit about the new software a while ago. Having played on the other site tonight, I don't think that I'll be moaning again. Sky seemed much crisper and the layout was better in my opinion. I very rarely lose connection on here but on the other site I must have disco'ed at least 10 times.  Learned me lesson. Won't play around in future
    Posted by Jac35
    Anyone offering a price on this?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Anyone offering a price on this?
    Posted by MattBates

3/11 that he will moan.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Anyone offering a price on this?
    Posted by MattBates
    Ok, up early, I'll bite

Matt

"I think part of the problem is one persons banter can be another persons troll."
    A quote from you not long back.

On the face of it, it just looks like banter between friends. The thing is though, we're not friends. I have no idea why it is but you have never been friendly towards me. I thought it might just be my imagination but... At the recent UKPC I chatted with all the Sky regs I saw, except you. You just looked the other way when I was going to say hello a couple of times. On the rare occasions that you do post a reply to anything that I write on here and other threads, it's sarcastic.

I'd rather you just don't post at all on here in future.
  • edited September 2014
    Morning my lovelies. 

I'm going to nip this in the bud before it escalates. 

I am good good friends with both of you and I can categorically vouch for Matt and confirm that you have nothing to worry about here. His post above was nothing more than friendly banter. He's a lovely bloke and makes a genuine effort with all of the Community. 

The UKPC thing will have been either a) Matt not seeing you, b) Matt's vision being impaired by the numerous shandys he consumed or c) him just being a docile thing!!! 

I call a cease fire. All is gravy 

xx 

• edited September 2014
    Morning my lovelies.  I'm going to nip this in the bud before it escalates.  I am good good friends with both of you and I can categorically vouch for Matt and confirm that you have nothing to worry about here. His post above was nothing more than friendly banter. He's a lovely bloke and makes a genuine effort with all of the Community.  The UKPC thing will have been either a) Matt not seeing you, b) Matt's vision being impaired by the numerous shandys he consumed or c) him just being a docile thing!!!  I call a cease fire. All is gravy  xx 
    Posted by Bromley023
    The Boy just added a d) option. 

Matt can't usually recognise people from their knees. 

Can't believe I missed that opportunity ... The shame. 

• edited September 2014
    'Father of very young child needs a few hours extra kip shock'!

I had a good chat with Matt at my first SPT 'away tie', though I doubt either of us recalls much of the conversation.  I had tried to introduce myself to a few other regs earlier in the evening and got completely shunned lol. First impressions can be hard to shake, even if we've seen it from a different angle, but I'm sure if Matt could find half an hour to chat with a toolbag like me he'd give you a whole evening given the chance.

Much love!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man :  I'd rather you just don't post at all on here in future.
    Posted by Jac35

wow

even I've not been castigated that way (well i probably have but only on posts that were deleted) and i seem to be able to wind up Paul without trying. 

I'm not sure Matt has a bad bone in his body so would be very surprised if any of that was deliberate. 
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Ok, up early, I'll bite Matt "I think part of the problem is one persons banter can be another persons troll." A quote from you not long back. On the face of it, it just looks like banter between friends. The thing is though, we're not friends. I have no idea why it is but you have never been friendly towards me. I thought it might just be my imagination but... At the recent UKPC I chatted with all the Sky regs I saw, except you. You just looked the other way when I was going to say hello a couple of times. On the rare occasions that you do post a reply to anything that I write on here and other threads, it's sarcastic. I'd rather you just don't post at all on here in future.
    Posted by Jac35
    Sorry, thought we had met and spoke and got on fine at an SPT a while back where you won/came 2nd (maybe I have you confused with someone else?). I always make time to speak to people at live events like SPTs/UKPC etc. Sometimes its people I have known for years that I consider friends, sometimes its people that I have played with online and have spoke virtually but haven't met, other times its people that know me that I don't know. So all in all its a lot of people and I try and make time to speak to them all whether it be general chat or strategy type stuff. If you think I don't speak to you or have an issue with you its not the case at all.

I wont post on here again.
  • edited September 2014
    Matt

Thanks for your response.
    I'll send you a Pm later
  • edited September 2014

To back Jac up I've always found Matt to be pure evil.  He once stole my last Rolo.  Yes, THE LAST ONE.  I also have a recording of him teasing budgerigars with a single seed hanging from a tiny rod stapled to their heads, the lovely looking seeds just out of their reach.   He also steals from the poor to give to the rich.  And he's actually six foot seven in height but only pretends to be short so he can get into cinemas half price.

Jac, Matt's a top bloke imo.  The thing is at SPTs and UKPCs people mix and mingle, I've never seen anyone blank or shun anyone at a SPT.  But people are people, some are shy and unsure, some times people just don't notice everything and everyone who is about or trying to say hello.  And generally at these things, speaking for myself, some times we've had a few.  Not speaking for Matt but speaking for myself there have been a few spots where I go to a new SPT or something similar, see someone and think 'Did I meet that person before or am I going mad?'  And suddenly you start staring over but never actually go up to someone and say 'Do I know you?' in case you do but forgot and therefore would be worried about offending them.  In other words poker players such as myself are not brilliant at social interaction, we make mistakes.  You probably have in the past as has Matts, therefore silly little misunderstandings like this happen.  Come say hello or I'll try to find you at the next one, we can all have a drink together and discuss all the correct reasons to hate Matt.
  • edited September 2014
    I got something wrong earlier today. I believed that Matt was mocking me with his posts, but he wasn't. Thanks to the people who have posted on here and also to a couple of mutual friends who have been in touch to let me know that I'd got it wrong.
    As I said to them and Matt in a pm, I've always been over sensitive and a worrier. I couldn't care less if someone that I have no time for doesn't like me but when it's someone that I respect it bothers me greatly. Matt certainly fits into that category.

I'm sorry Matt
    Shall we move on?
    Shot 75 today. Best I've played in ages. 
    Neil
    It looks like the Castle Stuart, Dornoch and Nairn thing is a goer. The deal was fantastic.
    Ta for the suggestion

• edited September 2014
    Nice shooting Jac 75 very good

Hope to get a wee game tomorrow
  • edited September 2014
    Nice shooting Jac 75 very good Hope to get a wee game tomorrow
    Posted by stuarty117
    Hi fella . I just noticed a post of yours from a while ago mentioning SPT Dublin.
    A few of us ( Sky Players )are playing an event in Dublin in October  if your intrested.
    The last I heard is drinks on Friday and poker Saturday.
    Not sure if I can mention the event here
  • edited September 2014
    Was unfaithful again tonight. 2nd time this year. Played a sat and a mtt on another site. Both were great value. £2000 added in a €20 deepstack and 6 seats guaranteed for the IPO next month. I missed out unfortuantely in the sat and ran deep in the deepstack before busting in pretty gross fashion. Great news was that CPFC qualified. Must be tough running like Eamonn. One hand was pretty standard for him. He 3bet KK and picked up 2 callers. Flopped quads and one of his opponents decided to shove. Tough game right? I played some Dyms on here as well. It's been a bit of a tough month for me so far in them. Oddly cash has been really good for me which has kept me ahead. Tonight went much much better though. Won 11 out of 14 for a £99 profit on the night plus 200 odd Rakeback points. I grumbled a bit about the new software a while ago. Having played on the other site tonight, I don't think that I'll be moaning again. Sky seemed much crisper and the layout was better in my opinion. I very rarely lose connection on here but on the other site I must have disco'ed at least 10 times.  Learned me lesson. Won't play around in future
    Posted by Jac35
    Is this every night only got around to setting up account will probaly buy in direct and worry aboutt sats at a later date.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Hi fella . I just noticed a post of yours from a while ago mentioning SPT Dublin. A few of us ( Sky Players )are playing an event in Dublin in October  if your intrested. The last I heard is drinks on Friday and poker Saturday. Not sure if I can mention the event here
    Posted by day4eire76
    Prolly best not to mention that it's the IPO 16-20th October, €230 buy in.
    Be good if you could make it Stuart
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Hi fella . I just noticed a post of yours from a while ago mentioning SPT Dublin. A few of us ( Sky Players )are playing an event in Dublin in October  if your intrested. The last I heard is drinks on Friday and poker Saturday. Not sure if I can mention the event here
    Posted by day4eire76
    Hi there 

thanks for letting be know will have to take a look into it. But the wife may not give me permission. Just me and a few mates were talking about it and i mentioned SPT Dublin would be a great day poker. As if i remember i think it was only a 1 day event, which would be perfect.
  • edited September 2014
    Slip
    I'm heavily drunk right now, so please be gentle ;)

First live outing at Derby since Harry was born. Surprisingly got a pass out for the night.
    Played the £30 rebuy which had £400 added.

It was good to see some of the old faces again after a while away. It's amazing that in poker you can be absent for some time and drop straight back into things. Lala greeted me like a long lost brother. "Paul, where you been? Prison?" Brooksy said that he'd heard a rumour that I'd gone broke playing blackjack. 

Standard was pretty much the usual. Started with 10k. Guy raises under the gun to 1600 at 150/300. I'm in the bb and look down at aces. 4 players have called the raise. I have no bet here other than all in. But... This is live. I make it 4500 from 10k and utg ships. The rest get out of the way and I call. Utg has K9 ;). Had a sweat on the turn but hold and we're off and running. 
    Get short with 14 left and shove the mighty j4 for 6 bigs. Get snapped by 7's and I turn the flush ;),
    Then have a weird situation where with 8 left and 7 paid there is a guy who has been away for an hour. He only has about 3 bigs. I raise 6 hands consecutively and everyone folds. Now I'm a huge chipleader. 
    Make the cash and that's when I start to run bad. Shortie twice shoves his sb into me for about 4 bigs. I call both times and get shown kings. I then get kings on the button and min. Sb calls and bb shoves. I snap and lose to ace 2 for a 200k pot. I then make a standard shove in the sb and walk into Jacks. Rivered trips but he had the straight . Left with 31k at 15000/30000 I'm rather pleased to ladder to 4th when there's a needless clash between two middling stacks. Go out next hand in 4th for £292. 

Could have been better but I'm delighted with the cash. I should really have bust before the money and  so can hardly complain.
    Sod the sats that I'm rubbish at. I now have the buy in sorted for Ireland :)