You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited August 2014
    A couple of threads recently have been pretty interesting.
    I've spoken about this kind of thing before but I'll have another go. 

I'm not really sure why people aspire to move up all the stakes so much. The vast vast majority of us play recreationally and whilst we want to win, we also want to enjoy ourselves.
    Ego, I guess is part of this desire to move up. There's no shame though in doing well at lower stakes. I've long since realised what my level is.

I'm decent at poker, no more. I do occasionally play higher games and although I do feel that I can compete, I certainly have no edge. It's great fun taking the odd shot when we can afford to and obviously wonderful if we get a decent cash. I'm quite sure that if I made the higher stakes my regular game then I could quite easily go 'poker broke' within a short period of time.

Instead, nowadays I play mainly Dyms online at a stake where I feel that I do often have an edge on the field. I don't make huge amounts out of the game but enough to pay for a few luxuries they I may not otherwise buy. Winning a few hundred  or so a month plus a bit of Rakeback  isn't earthshattering stuff but it makes a nice part time wage.

I think acceptance is important but often ignored. When I first started, I wanted to be brilliant at the game and make my fortune. Was never going to happen, I was no where near good enough.

I get confused sometimes when I see people making a tidy sum at a level that suits them, move up and do the lot.

• edited August 2014
    just caught up with your thread mate
    really feel for you. luckily haven't had to go through that with my two - they cause enough trouble as it is!!
    hope it all goes well
  • edited August 2014

Only catching up on this Paul.
    Every parents nightmare.
    Hopefully young Harry , Penny  and yourself are doing well.

Pat
  • edited August 2014
    Long but good night of poker.
    Got a bit sulky early on in a sat. Me and sats really don't get on at the moment. In the sat for the £55 I managed to lose KJ V KJ and then A10 v A10 which was rather annoying when I was looking pretty good for the seat.

I played the main (briefly). For the early stages, I had a crazy table. Melty, Foldufairy, Stacker59 and Hornet. I lost an all in in a big pot last hand before the add on and decided not to bother chucking in another £33. Feels a bit wrong leaving before the end of the rebuy but on a tough table and not playing very well it seemed like the right decision.

Just the mini left and I decided to chip up or go out. I ran really well and was chipleader for a fair while. I made the final quite short. Can hardly complain as I'd has plenty of big hands during the middle stages but I went completely card dead when we got down to 7. There were no weak players at my table and I just had to try and be disciplined.

Had a little ladder to 5th and then with 12 bigs found a decent spot in the big blind. An open and a call from the sb and I had a suited Ace. Good enough. Original raiser passed and the small blind called. He'd set it up perfectly as he would have recognised that I was looking to get it in. He had AQ and that was that. Really enjoyed it though and nice to end up a few quid in profit.

For me the Weds rebuys are far and away the best tourneys of the week. Loads of play in them right the way through. I really wish there were more of them. Other than the occasional Tuesday which is fun, I don't play any of the other mains.
    £33 B/Hs and a 2k starting stack doesn't appeal at all.

Thinking of going over to the IPO in Dublin in October. I've never been to Ireland and it looks like a good event. Chance to meet up with a friend who's over there as well and possibly a couple of beers.
    Anyone else fancy it, let me know. Would be great to get a few players from here over there and any Irish based players as well. Looking at you Day4eire :)
    £39 return flights from a well known budget airline sounds pretty good as well. I know Tikay recommends them.

Similar to DTD earlier this month, I'm looking for some beer money and so if anyone wants to chuck me a few quid for 10% then let me know. :)
  • edited August 2014
    Sounds great.
    Whats the plan drinks Friday and play day 1c Saturday ?
    Im sure Kohan and Cormach from Sky will be there.
    Is Eamon playing ?
    Let me know what the plans are as I will be playing.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Sounds great. Whats the plan drinks Friday and play day 1c Saturday ? Im sure Kohan and Cormach from Sky will be there. Is Eamon playing ? Let me know what the plans are as I will be playing.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Good stuff Pat
    Yep, that's the plan. Just need to get the time off now. Shouldn't be a problem but with my boss I can never take anything for granted.
  • edited August 2014
    sounds like a plan paul I may be interested never been to Dublin and be good meet up with pat etc again for a few beers.
  • edited August 2014
    We are very interested in joining you in Dublin too mate.  The SPT in Dublin was a right laugh and we've been dying to go back.

Our plan at the moment is to go to London for the EPT but we might do Dublin instead.  Leave it with us and we'll let you know.

Just been catching up on the horrible real life stuff in your thread too.  So glad to hear things are ok...our best wishes go out to all three of you!!
  • edited August 2014
    The more the merrier.
    I know (Kohan) Kevin is coming over.
  • edited August 2014
    Just noticed one of the weekly Sky Poker is fixed threads. One kind soul has informed us of another site where apparently bad beats don't happen. 
    Early into my session last night I was inclined to start one of those threads myself. Unfortunately, the one time poster on the forum stole my thunder.
    K2 making full houses? Bah, that's nothing.

Off the top of my head, i remember that in my first 6 games I lost all in preflop with the following. Each time I got it in first, these were all calls
    KK v AK (fine)
    KK v A2 (interesting)
    AK v J9 (very interesting)
    KK v A4 (look at Jacs face)
    A10 v 10 6 (just look at his face)

It was all rather embarrassing. These were low stake Dyms as a friend of mine who is exceedingly poor* at poker, wanted to rail me and hear what my thought processes were.
    As it went on, he suggested that I quit for the night. I disagreed as although I was doing a fair amount of chuntering, I wasn't tilting and I believed that I was playing well.

As I often do in these situations I exercised excellent bankroll management and decided to start playing £15, £20 and £30 Dyms, where my raises would be respected ;)

It didn't start well. First £30 Dym at 50/100 a guy 3Xed to 300. I shoved AK out of the sb and he snapped with A5. So that was one game gone.

I then went on a run where I hardly lost a game. 
    Run good can go in many ways. It's not just about getting the hands. I started getting big hands when my opponents had big hands too but were slightly pipped. My shoves, when I really didn't want a call, got through every time.
    Also, on the bubble of games I was able to sit back as time after time big hands were clashing and I was making the money
     without having to do much. I also got it in bad AQ v AK and A10 v QQ and won
    Obviously it  was real run good as well to have the beats in the lower stake games but have no such problems in the higher ones.

Volume is always key. We all run bad from time to time. If we're doing the right things, then we'll win in the long term

All true except for maybe one thing

*A little harsh on my friend. He isn't exceedingly poor at poker. Exceedingly average would be a better description

• edited August 2014
    Sounds great. Whats the plan drinks Friday and play day 1c Saturday ? Im sure Kohan and Cormach from Sky will be there. Is Eamon playing ? Let me know what the plans are as I will be playing.
    Posted by day4eire76
    You bet I am. Looking forward to meeting plenty of players from Sky and Paul "not the poker player" Jackson.
  • edited September 2014
    Good news

abscess has gone

Bad news

in waiting room about to have root canal, crowns and fillings done.

Wish me luck
  • edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
    Just catching up on your thread (always the first one I read) and less grumpy than last time I did so. 
    sounds like a root canal will be child's play for you after your kiddie scare. Fingers crossed and best of luck with that as well. Had similar with my babes when little so I know how you feel. 
    and thanks for the hand analysis - tough spot given the staking dynamics

• edited September 2014
    Just catching up on your thread (always the first one I read) and less grumpy than last time I did so.  sounds like a root canal will be child's play for you after your kiddie scare. Fingers crossed and best of luck with that as well. Had similar with my babes when little so I know how you feel.  and thanks for the hand analysis - tough spot given the staking dynamics
    Posted by GELDY
    Sigh.

To be fair, Paul (Not The Poker Player) Jackson does write a deece Diary.

• edited September 2014
    Good news

Dentist is very good and so root canal was a doddle

Bad news

Dentist is very good and so he is very expensive.

I didn't realise that I wasn't getting the full quote last time. Oops
    £700 sounded a lot at the time. Now it's a case of, if only. 
    Total cost when I've had the 2 crowns fitted next month and the fillings done is now a rather unpleasant £1509.
    Ouch
    (Happy to sell 10% of this action as well. You can rail if you want :) )

Good news

Finally managed to sort out the time off for the IPO. It's a bit messy, I've only got the Saturday as annual leave. I've called in a couple of favours for the Friday and Monday and managed to swop days off with a couple of people. Hopefully they'll be good to their word and not change their minds. Given todays expenses it would be a little irritating to book it all and then not be able to go. 

Bad news

I'm going to have to hit the Dyms hard again this month. Jacs Dental Plan Challenge Mark 2 begins today :)

Bad news

I killed a frog yesterday.
  • edited September 2014
    Good news Dentist is very good and so root canal was a doddle Bad news Dentist is very good and so he is very expensive. I didn't realise that I wasn't getting the full quote last time. Oops £700 sounded a lot at the time. Now it's a case of, if only.  Total cost when I've had the 2 crowns fitted next month and the fillings done is now a rather unpleasant £1509. Ouch (Happy to sell 10% of this action as well. You can rail if you want :) ) .... Good news Finally managed to sort out the time off for the IPO. It's a bit messy, I've only got the Saturday as annual leave. I've called in a couple of favours for the Friday and Monday and managed to swop days off with a couple of people. Hopefully they'll be good to their word and not change their minds. Given todays expenses it would be a little irritating to book it all and then not be able to go.  Bad news I'm going to have to hit the Dyms hard again this month. Jacs Dental Plan Challenge Mark 2 begins today :) Bad news I killed a frog yesterday.
    Posted by Jac35
    Great news pal , Looking forward to this.
    Had a few players talk about it on my tables.
    Hopefully we get a few and make a good weekend of it.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : You bet I am. Looking forward to meeting plenty of players from Sky and Paul "not the poker player" Jackson.
    Posted by cpfc_2010

Great stuff Eamon see you soon.

• edited September 2014

Dental Plan Dym Challenge Mark 2 - Day 1

Cliffs

FXXK!!

Slightly longer story

I played 11 in total and managed the fine number of 5 wins. Got them the wrong way round this time unfortunately. Lost every £30 game and won a few of the £10 and £15's. Not good £92 down.

There was a nice end to the day though. Just played the 1 mtt and came 2nd in it. The £22 b/h for £120 and £49.09 in heads. Was heads up with Stayorgo. Seems a really nice guy and is a great player. He saw me off relatively early into the heads up. Not to worry, day saved.

Actually, I would quite happily take this every day this month. £55 up on the day and 240 reward points to come.

Flights and hotel are booked for Dublin. You never know I might even be able to buy into the tourney.

Yet another thing that seems to be rigged on here! Bloomin Promotion. I keep getting teams where no one plays. Bubbled the 1st week after being in top 5 all week for rubs and nowhere last couple of weeks. Sort it out Sky, I need some free cash .

• edited September 2014
    Nandos, Inbetweeners 2, pub

Didn't leave much time for poker. In fact, didn't leave anytime for poker. I really need to get some volume in. Got to pay for me new tegs somehow.
    Played a bit last night. Ran pretty good in Dyms and ran pretty bad in the main and mini. 

A funny thing from one of my Dyms last night. There is a player who is way, way too tight. Makes the bubble nearly every game but always very short stacked. I had one of those weird games where I somehow accumulated around 7000 chips. We're on the bubble and I'm only half concentrating and putting my energies into my other games running. I notice in the Chatbox that the tight player has directed a comment my way. "Jac, I thought you were a Dym reg?" I reply with "?" And he then says "you should know that you should be shoving every hand from that stack" 
    He wasn't being rude, just making an observation. I enjoyed the irony of the tightest player in the world telling me to loosen up. I thought he was totally wrong btw, so didn't reply. Why would I want to get involved in any hand when I'm a lock to cash?
    Got a spot on my forehead. Not happy. I don't get spots. I look ridiculous.
    Started to rewatch 'The Thick of it'. Fantastic series. I don't watch Doctor Who (it's a childrens program, surely?) but I certainly can't watch it now. Peter Capaldi is Malcolm, plays it brilliantly. He can't be the Doctor.
  • edited September 2014

I was reminded yesterday of this infamous & notorious chap whilst reading a book, & for reasons I can't put my finger on, it reminded me of Jac35.

Name that man. In his particular sphere of operations, he was VERY famous back in the day.

• edited September 2014
    I was reminded yesterday of this infamous & notorious chap whilst reading a book, & for reasons I can't put my finger on, it reminded me of Jac35. Name that man. In his particular sphere of operations, he was VERY famous back in the day.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't a clue who that is. I imagine that I really should know.
    I guess that I'm right  in thinking that it will be some hilarious put down? ;)

I give up

Help
  • edited September 2014

.....it is DOHhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • edited September 2014
    .....it is DOHhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Nooooooooohhhh

Could be Geldy 

Or we might be being whooshed, and it's actually Tikay before going into make up pre show
  • edited September 2014

....but unlike Dohhhh, Geldy is still famous (ish)
  • edited September 2014

It's Jack Comer, aka "Jack Spot".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Comer

That's where the likeness to you ends, in the name, but he was some character.

The heavily scarred face is because Mad Frankie Fraser "sorted him out" one night over a bit of bad business. (That cost Frankie 7 years bird).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Fraser

Jack Spot's bio was called "Man of a Thousand Cuts".

Carry on, as you were.
  • edited September 2014

A little more about Jack Spot.

I must emphasise, in case of whooshness, that ONLY the "spot" thing reminded me of our very own JacSpot35.

http://eastlondonhistory.com/2011/06/16/rise-and-fall-of-jack-spot-london-gangster/
  • edited September 2014
    This a new game you've started tikay?

How many famous people is Jac35 not? 

Not the poker player
    Not the Jack spot
    Not GELDY-ish

lucky my old man never met frankie, else that might have been a photo of him! Not me Paul, not me. 
  • edited September 2014
    And just be thankful that tikay cannot put his finger on
    the spot! 
    ouch
  • edited September 2014
    I was reminded yesterday of this infamous & notorious chap whilst reading a book, & for reasons I can't put my finger on, it reminded me of Jac35. Name that man. In his particular sphere of operations, he was VERY famous back in the day.
    Posted by Tikay10