You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Cheers chaps

Gazza
    You're the last one. PM bank details and I'll send you some money :)
    You'll see me at the main event. Unfortunately I wont  be playing. Gonna turn up though and do a bit of railing/drinking.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Busto unfortunately.  Cashed for £500 in 55th 5 short of the £1k seat. Guess that's just not meant to be.  A number of times I've come close to a seat for that.  Not to worry though. Had a great time.  Loved every minute of it.  Gl to Slklist, Ivan and Ryan who I think are still in. Exit hand I think was pretty standard.  I jammed 135,000 from the small blind at 600/1200 with 200 running ante. Had K6.  It gets through plenty of times and even when called prob still got 40% He had Ace 10 and I didn't improve.  Great tournament and thanks to Adam,  John and Gazza for the 10%'s. So pleased you've doubled your money.  Sorry it wasn't a little more
    Posted by Jac35
    FYP.

Standard jam for north of 100 bigs blind on blind I'd say.

Bit of a set up hand tbh, never getting away from that.
  • edited August 2014
  • edited August 2014
    Congrats on the cash, must have been a pretty tense time in the run up to the 50 ME seat bubble!
  • edited August 2014

Bloody rubbish!

(see ya at the bar mate) 
  • edited August 2014
    I thought the atmosphere was really good at DTD. However, on my table for most of day1 was the sort of chap who can give live poker a bad name.
    I didn't bother to get his name. His name in my head was 'pro boy'. 
    He was fully kitted out. 
    Hoodie - check
    Poker site logo cap - check 
    Big headphones - check
    etc

He called the floor 5 times during the time he was there. He demanded clarification on matters. He said,too loudly, to me that it wasn't a £15 freezeout and if the dealers didn't know what they were doing, then they  shouldn't be there.
    One guy starting to count out a raise and one of his chips just about crossed the line as he was doing so. Instant shout "floor" and then to the dealer "I shouldn't be having to do your job. The line is a rule here and that is a call" Technically correct maybe but we all knew the players intention.
    He talked about ranges, thin value and so on.
    I had one lovely moment where I'd flopped a set from the bb and took the betting lead on the turn. I bet big on the river and he said my line only makes sense if I have a set. He then called with top pair and as I turned my cards he exclaimed "God, I'm good"  I smiled back at him agreeing.

He seemed to like me, which was a shame because every time he wanted to moan about how bad the other players were, he turned to me.

There was a lovely finish to all this. On my table for the whole day was a guy called Kevin. Really great bloke, plays occasionally on Sky as SpecialB20. He had driven up from Falmouth at 04.00 to get there and was driving back on Sunday. He had been really unlucky and grinded 10 bigs for 5 hours. Ended up cashing as well, which was great.
    Kevin wasn't a fan of pro boy but was far too polite to say anything. He just looked at me a few times and rolled his eyes. As you have to do when short he was making a few moves. 3 times he ended up all in against pro boy.

Hand 1 pro boy is big favourite with a dominating ace. Board pairs on the turn. "Double pair it for the chop" shouts pro boy. BINK :)

Hand 2 pro boy is favourite with AJ v 89. He flops the J. Turn brings a gut shot. "Give him a 10" shouts pro boy
    BINK :)

Hand 3 pro boy is big favourite. Can't remember the actual hands. Before river "Give him a 6" shouts pro boy
    BINK :)

Kevin is really struggling hard now not to laugh.

Iranian bloke with an amazing accent and a slightly high pitched voice, who was really good fun says "why you keep asking for the card that beats you? Is stupid" Pro boy not amused, rest of table struggling with their poker faces.

2 mins later pro boy is out. Bangs the table and leaves with the comment "can never beat bad players"
    Everyone at the table looks at each other. Everyone smiles. We all know that, inside everyone of us is cheering

• edited August 2014
    wp on your cash mate nice one ul not get in top 50 for main event seat but it`s good your still attending means we can still get our drink on :).

Also one other thing sounds like pro boy needs a drink haha
  • edited August 2014
    Enjoyed a good run in the main tonight.
    Once the blinds got high I was in my comfort zone. No more having to play through the streets. Just close my eyes and shove :)
    Got low and then ran really well to be chip leader from about 18 in. Made the final table and came 6th in the end for £230.
    Really pleased for Hendrik62 who won it. He played a great game. 
    I was railing Bromleys table as well and he had about a million chips at one stage. Unfortunately he had a few coolers late on.

Bought Harry, Heisenburg and Los Pollos baby grows. Is that bad? I'll put the pics up soon.
    I can imagine the conversation with my Mum.

Mum "What's this all about then? Odd babygrow, man in sunglasses and a hat?"

Me "oh, it's from a television series. Heisenberg, aka Walter, is an ill man who start cooking crystal meth. Oh, he kills lots of people as well"

Mum "Lovely. What about the other one?

Me "Los Pollos is the restaurant chain that Gus owns"

Mum "Gus?"

Me 'Yeah, he's worse than Walter"

Mum "Marv"
  • edited August 2014
  • edited August 2014
    I've had a look at the situations vacant post. I don't think I'll be applying but I am prepared to do a job share.

I feel that some of the poor people who have lost with Aces occasionally get mocked in BB&V.

Therefore, I offer my services.

Anyone who has suffered an unfortunate run out of cards can post the hand here. I will be extremely sympathetic and will nod and shake my head at the appropriate times.

I think I'll call it the "I've had a Badbeat JacPost"
  • edited August 2014
    careful what you wish for Paul

I'm sure you are fully qualified for any of the roles on offer.  But do you really want your great thread cluttered up with bad beat stories? 
  • edited August 2014
    did i tell you of my last live game
    just before the FT and I shove my 8BB from the BB over a couple of limpers with Ax
    one of the limpers, with only about 15BB himself, tanks for a couple of minutes repeating
    "i feel lucky"
    and then calls with 26s
    and yes he was - hits his 2 on the flop
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    did i tell you of my last live game just before the FT and I shove my 8BB from the BB over a couple of limpers with Ax one of the limpers, with only about 15BB himself, tanks for a couple of minutes repeating "i feel lucky" and then calls with 26s and yes he was - hits his 2 on the flop
    Posted by GELDY
    Well why the xxxx did you let yourself get down to 8 bigs?
    You brought it all on yourself.

Yep, I think I'll be good at this :)
  • edited August 2014
    I have a cold and I'm grumpy. This as you will be aware is very unusual for me.
    Managed to get a post deleted for the first time ever as well.

Went over to DTD last night for a while. Good to meet up with people again. Fantastic achievement to make the guarantee and great to see some of the Sky regs doing well.
    I'm off work till Tuesday now and so hopefully I'll get over again and maybe play a bit myself

Think I'll go for a little nap now before I get myself into more trouble
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Paul,
    thanks for your post in my diary mate.
    no worries about anything, we all have our own points of view & our own way of playing & how we see things.
    as i said, the only thing that matters is either having fun or winning, preferably both.  ha ha
    run good buddy,dev

• edited August 2014
    Loving your posts...............  I've not had a bad beat in ages! Why?  when I get outdrawn etc. I call it a "lesson"!  It feels less painful that way.  :-)   I've had quite a few lessons in the last week & learned from quite a few of em....
  • edited August 2014
    ok 8BB not enough for you
    was playing a cheapo deep stack the other night
    when I was 3 bet by an aipf shove of over 100BB
    had to call with my KK
    and the villain showed AQ
    only hit a house didn't he

a little later we had another aipf this time for 130BB
    didn't call that time - do you think that was wrong of me? 

PS googoo gaga
  • edited August 2014
    Geldy
    Just copied your post from another thread

"K6 was it?

live generally plays tighter than online though it is table dependent
    maybe i've just been hanging around with teeks a bit too much!"

It was a really interesting spot actually. A bit of background. I had sold 40% of my action in the mini. It had been agreed that the stake was for the mini only and that there would be no carry on to the main if I got a seat. I was uncomfortable but it's what we went with.

If I was playing purely for myself and using this tourney as a satellite, then I think it's an easy fold. I had locked up £500 and could probably blind myself out of the mini but secure a £1000 seat. With the top heavy payout structure, I would have needed to finish around 10th to get the same return.

This just wouldn't have been fair on the people who had been good enough to invest in me though. I had to play it as a normal tourney. 

I was on a very aggressive table with no real weak players. For once tha action had folded around to me in the small blind. I'm playing 135000 and with the blinds and antes there's 30000 in the middle. The big blind has around 380000 and so will not be calling me light. I get the shove through plenty of times here. Even when called Ive still most likely got around 40%.

I think the play was fine. I was just a little unlucky to run into a hand.
  • edited August 2014
    Before I start this post I need to stress that everything should be fine now.

The beginning of the week marked the start of the worst 48 hours of my life.

On Monday morning Harry woke up as usual around 6.30 and Penny gave him his bottle. About 30 minutes later he was grumbling a little and so I brought him into bed with us for 10 minutes before getting up. He was immediately quiet and after a few seconds Penny turned over as she's used to him wriggling around. She began screaming as Harry wasn't breathing and his eyes were open but totally vacant.

Later, I found out that I without knowing it, I did the right thing. I shook him a little with no response and then jumped out of bed with him and he quietly came round. We took him to Childrens A&E and they did plenty of tests on him and observed him for most of the day.

They explained that these things can happen and unfortunately they couldn't give a reason but all the tests had come back fine and he should be ok.

We have a device that monitors his breathing and movement. If it doesn't detect either of these things after 20 seconds it goes crazy. Around midnight it went off. We ran to him and he seemed to be sleeping normally and was breathing ok.

Straight back to A&E and the staff were marvellous. They did a full set of tests on him including a lumbar puncture to test for meningitis. I'm sure you can imagine what it was like seeing him having to go through this.

The next morning the results  came through and again everything was ok. The consultant believed that he had a viral infection and pauses between breathing are totally normal and can be longer when not 100%.

He was very reassuring and said he had seen this many times before. He was happy to send him home stating that in all his years he had never sent a baby home after something like this and they'd been a problem. We just had to trust him.

Putting Harry to bed that night was the most stressful thing that I think I've ever done. I must have checked on him a 100 times. We decided to leave the second monitor on all night which beeps as he breathes. It was frightening and we haven't done that again.

He slept well and did so again last night. His cold has come through a bit which although I obviously don't want him to be unwell, I welcomed. It gave a bit of logic to everything (I like to know reasons for things)

Getting back to normal is going to be difficult but hopefully it should get easier with every 'normal' night. The image in my mind of him on Monday morning is still there and it's going to be difficult to shake that no matter how hard I try.

During the day when he's awake is no problem, it's the night when it's tough right now. I actually played a bit of poker last night to try and get my mind off it a bit. Not really successful but it probably helped a bit. It's amazing how quickly time can go when playing online.

I've had another little bash at it tonight and although I got a bit of chatbox abuse from someone called Tikay1, I quite enjoyed it.

Take care everyone.
  • edited August 2014
    Sounds like every parents nightmare.
    Hope everything goes well for the future.
    Best wishes to you and the family.
    Mick
  • edited August 2014

Gulp. Glad everything seems to be ok now mate....and I am so glad you put your opening line in first. It is always a difficult and worrying time when put through something like this. 

I went through similar when my lad was a wee bit older than yours and the worry and stress it causes does affect you and you never forget. It took  many hospital visits and even a change of consultant until we were content it was nothing serious. Problems with breathing was down to a 'twisted' lung which thankfully sorted itself out naturally.

Best wishes to Penny too. Now go out and spoil him this bank holiday!
  • edited August 2014
    The mind is boggling. Sorry to hear you've had to go through this, glad to hear that all tests are clear - I'm sure you will become more comfortable as time moves on.

Nothing but stress and worry, kids! Worth it? Marginal :)
  • edited August 2014
    There I was thinking us palace fans had experienced a stressful week, kinda brings everything into perspective.
    All the best to you, Penny and of course Harry.
  • edited August 2014

Oh my word.

I can't begin to imagine how horrific that must have been, the thought must haunt you & Penny.

Makes you think, eh?

No matter how precious he was to you before, he's even more precious now. 

• edited August 2014

On a MUCH lighter note......

"....I've had another little bash at it tonight and although I got a bit of chatbox abuse from someone called Tikay1, I quite enjoyed it......"

A chap chased me round the tables last night, berating me for having a bit of banter with you. He was VERY cross with me. Oh dear......

It leaves me breathless that people can think I'd deliberately abuse people online, & I well know what it's like to be on the wrong end of it, especially from "anons".

In case anyone is dumb enough not to get it, the people I "abuse" online are in a very special category - they are all people I respect very much indeed. If I don't like them, or are not a kindred spirit, I say nothing to, or about, them.

Those who get most of this mock "abuse" from me are all very dear to me, & that includes you, MOTHER, Twiglet, Spanner Mick, Anna, & Orford.

• edited August 2014

Actually, I have to correct that.

Exclude Orford from that list. I really mean it when I abuse him.

• edited August 2014
    Thanks for the comments chaps.
    I sometimes think that I shouldn't really post things of such a personal nature and just stick to my poker failings.
    I kind of find it therapeutic to write it all down though...
  • edited August 2014
    A chap chased me round the tables last night, berating me for having a bit of banter with you. He was VERY cross with me. Oh dear......

Oh that's ridiculous. 
    One of the players in that game really thought that I was upset? I guess there's always the danger online of people not really 'getting it'

I have plenty of banter with friends in the games I play. Sometimes I wonder afterwards how the other players may have  interpreted it.
  • edited August 2014
    Blimey can only imagine what a scary few days that must have been for you all.

Good news it didn't turn out to be anything more serious.

It's the sort of posts that help make a diary worth reading, and very much puts into perspective any poker related chunterings!