You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    Huge congratulations to Geldy for winning the main last night.  Really pleased for you.  It's always nice when someone like you wins it.  You sort of think to yourself "blimey!  If Geldy can win a main on here, then anyone can"
    Posted by Jac35
    ty Paul, although I think Teeks put it more diplomatically. anyway pleased i managed to inspire you to a moan free post. :-)
  • edited September 2014
    Dental Plan Mark 2 final score
    FAILURE!
    Target was £1509 and I ended on £1083

Not disappointed at all though. It's been a good month. Always going to be a tall order to get there. Only got 3135 points so my own fault that I didn't put enough volume in.
    Breakdown of the month is quite unusual for me.
    Mtts - £141 up
    Dyms - £140 up
    Live - cashed for £292 take away £65 buy in so £227 up
    Rakeback and bonuses - £123
    Cash - £452 up

I'd normally expect Dyms to be the bulk of any profits. My ROI in them was a bit below average at 6.7% but the main issue was not enough games. Only played 155

The cash figure is the most surprising. I've played a lot more cash than I normally do on here and just run really, really well. I'm fully aware that I'm not good at cash online so I got lucky. Last night for example I was gifted a couple of buyins before a table broke. I was going to load up another table and then I looked around at the tables I was sitting on. Spanky, Ivan, Bolly, tommyD and Diehard on my table. The spot on my forehead may have disappeared but I was certainly Jac "the spot" on that table. Decided to stand.

Feel a little sore that in the live game 4 handed and big chipeader, I lost an all in pot for a monster stack with KK v A2 and eventually bust in 4th myself. 
    And in last weds rebuy I lost with KK v 53 after he peeled my 3bet and flopped a draw and got there. That would have given
     me a huge chip lead with 9 left and £1.8k up top
    But that's just silly really. These things happen and in both games I had my fair share of luck along the way and could easily have bust both before the money.

Won't be playing tonight as I'm off to see the Mighty Rams destroy Bournemouth.
  • edited September 2014
    Dental Plan Mark 2 final score FAILURE! Target was £1509 and I ended on £1083 Not disappointed at all though. It's been a good month. Always going to be a tall order to get there. Only got 3135 points so my own fault that I didn't put enough volume in. Breakdown of the month is quite unusual for me. Mtts - £141 up Dyms - £140 up Live - cashed for £292 take away £65 buy in so £227 up Rakeback and bonuses - £123 Cash - £452 up I'd normally expect Dyms to be the bulk of any profits. My ROI in them was a bit below average at 6.7% but the main issue was not enough games. Only played 155 The cash figure is the most surprising. I've played a lot more cash than I normally do on here and just run really, really well. I'm fully aware that I'm not good at cash online so I got lucky. Last night for example I was gifted a couple of buyins before a table broke. I was going to load up another table and then I looked around at the tables I was sitting on. Spanky, Ivan, Bolly, tommyD and Diehard on my table. The spot on my forehead may have disappeared but I was certainly Jac "the spot" on that table. Decided to stand. Feel a little sore that in the live game 4 handed and big chipeader, I lost an all in pot for a monster stack with KK v A2 and eventually bust in 4th myself.  And in last weds rebuy I lost with KK v 53 after he peeled my 3bet and flopped a draw and got there. That would have given  me a huge chip lead with 9 left and £1.8k up top But that's just silly really. These things happen and in both games I had my fair share of luck along the way and could easily have bust both before the money. Won't be playing tonight as I'm off to see the Mighty Rams destroy Bournemouth.
    Posted by Jac35
    Love your optimism
  • edited September 2014
    Lol
    Wondered if you might spot that Mick.
    Did a quick Jac edit as didn't want to offend you.
    Originally said 'Mighty Rams destroy lowly Bournemouth' :)
  • edited September 2014
    Lol Wondered if you might spot that Mick. Did a quick Jac edit as didn't want to offend you. Originally said 'Mighty Rams destroy lowly Bournemouth' :)
    Posted by Jac35
    No offence taken............................much ! :-)
  • edited October 2014
    What no gloating?

Are you feeling ok Paul?
  • edited October 2014
    What no gloating? Are you feeling ok Paul?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Nothing to gloat about really Mick.
    Thought Bournemouth were a really nice side. They played good football and were well organised.
    Was a very strange decision by the ref. didn't blow before the ball entered the net. Surely, the advantage should be given to us? To give us a free kick and send Camp off was just bizarre.
    Goal should have stood and no action against Camp. We've scored, that's penalty enough. He can hardly claim the 'denied us a clear goal scoring opportunity' thing, cuz we scored :) wasn't dangerous play either. Most odd.

Decent game. Good result for us. Bournemouth will have a good season
  • edited October 2014
    Agree with the Camp thing (can i say that?).

Lots of people say Bournemouth are a "nice side" and i think thats what lets us down at times.
    Need a bit more aggro to kill games off at times.
  • edited October 2014
    Agree with the Camp thing (can i say that?). Lots of people say Bournemouth are a "nice side" and i think thats what lets us down at times. Need a bit more aggro to kill games off at times.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Is John Bond still the Bournemouth Manager?

He was quite the man back in the day. Worse dress sense than Natterley Brommers.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Is John Bond still the Bournemouth Manager? He was quite the man back in the day. Worse dress sense than Natterley Brommers.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeh i think so and Ted McDougal is still banging them in ! :-)
  • edited October 2014

Ted McDougall, now there's a proper striker.

I never realised he played for so many Clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_MacDougall

• edited October 2014
    Ted McDougall, now there's a proper striker.   I never realised he played for so many Clubs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_MacDougall
    Posted by Tikay10
    Scored 9 goals in one game !!!
  • edited October 2014
    New month goals 

Match September profits - doable 
    Win IPO - doable but a little unlikely
    Don't incur any more dentist bills - prolly entirely undoable

Had a gentle start to the month. £60ish up so far. Going ok in a little mtt as we speak. Would be a nice one to win. 8/32
    Certainly not ditching the Dyms but prob only going to play a 100 or so this month.
    Done a bit more dabbling in cash. Had a fun hand last night 3 handed when AA KK and QQ were all out. (Online obv rigged) I had the AA :)
    Looking forward to match tomorrow. We might be starting to click into gear. Only a point off top now.

Some good looking new diaries just starting up which is great.
    The_Hux
    Ihadtrips7
    Somecards
    Phantom

Also we got SuperDev v the Mighty Ducks (film any good?)

• edited October 2014

"Some good looking new diaries just starting up which is great.
    The_Hux
    Ihadtrips7
    Somecards
    Phantom"

Yup, agree, has to be good.

Which reminds me, you asked me to reply to something a week or two ago. I'll go try & find it, & reply, now.
  • edited October 2014
    There might even more blathering than usual in this post. May break it up a little as it's hard to be bothered to read a complete wall of text. It'll all meander along getting nowhere in particular. There is another poker forum that I read as well as this one. It used to be wonderful. It's run by a prominent, very well respected chap in poker. There were some great diaries written by people who had started at the bottom and moved up and were now making a living from the game. That I'd played with a few of them made it even more interesting to read as I felt that I kind of knew them, even though I didn't. The diaries have now mostly disappeared and now I can go onto the main page of the forum and on occasions there has only been 3 or 4 posts in the whole day. There are still 2 diaries on there that I absolutely love reading. One is written by a guy who 4 years ago was lacking a little in confidence and decided to name his new diary "The best in the business" No doubt people cringed when they saw this but he didn't just talk the talk. He's now rated no1 on pocketfives and his journey has been fascinating to read. His drive in incredible. The other diary I enjoy is totally different. Poker is occasionally mentioned but the stories and observations are what makes it great reading. It's highly popular and some very sharp people post on there. I'm not the smartest and I need to look up half the words that they use. On this diary the other day it was said that there may be some truth in that forums/blogs are now dying with Facebook and Twitter taking over. Is this the case? Sadly, I think that might be the case with the other forum. But here? I don't think so. There are some poor periods, I think we're just coming through one, when there's trolling, everyone seeming to be angry etc but I think this forum  has and will continue to come back strongly. In my opinion we're very lucky to have this forum. Sky don't need it. I spoke to one of the Sky guys at Newcastle and I can't remember the exact number but it was an incredibly small % of players who use the forum.
    Posted by Jac35
    So many things to comment upon there......

Trolling? It tends to increase whern a Forum is going throuigh a quiet spell. The summer is bad for Online Poker, & so the Forums go quiet, too.

Mid to late summer, there was deffo an influx of trolls here.

In several cases, people who had never played here, or only played "Play Money" games, were coming on & making observations which were pure trolling. The great thing was that most people recognized them for what they were. We can look at the previous Post History of these trolls & soon see that all their posts are negative. I'm not sure what buzz they get from doing it, but they must have really dull lives if that is how they get their kicks.

I do think that Forums & Blogs are less popular than they used to be, but the Summer never helps.

Since your Post, both the 2 Forums you mention have picked up a bit, with new Diaries & more activity.

Fair to say, the Community software here is not the greatest.......over at the other place, I can - & do - measure the daily Post Count, & I'm pleased to say it has picked up in ther last month, & October has continued that trend.

That "Best In The Business" chap is Patrick Leonard, & I see he has been nominated for no less than THREE Bluff Europe Gongs. Good luck, I hope he gets at least one.  Don't know if you have ever met him, but he is shorter than Matt Bates. 

He is a Geordie, currently living in Budapest, Hungary with a bunch of high roller guys. 'Stars have had to withdraw from Hungary (& 23 other countries, too), so he is going to move to Malta shortly. Living the dream, & all that.    
  • edited October 2014

Another point you mentioned was how Forums work.

They, sort of, belong to the Members, & its up to the Members to make a little effort if they want the Forum to work. Moaning about them makes no sense. We all have the power to make them better.

When new Diaries start, it only takes a moment to Post on them, & offer a little encouragement.

Starting new threads helps, too. Some folks have never started a new thread in their life, but they sit there & say the Forum is poo.... Go figure. If people want a good forum, they need to help build it. The power rests with us all.

There are posters who have never made one positive post. Gawd knows what these people must be like in real life. Spend all the time criticising, but never do anything themselves. Not my fault Guv. 

There is always a mini-mutiny, too, when someone gets chat-banned, but the fact is, it is VERY hard to get chat-banned, they generally get 2 or 3 warnings first. And you have to have rules, you just do. 

All things considered, especially the quality of the Forum Software here, I think this place is pretty decent actually, populated, for the most part, by really decent people. 

It'd be a real shame to lose it, so its up to the people who use it to try & look after it, & do their bit, start interesting new threads, be nice & positive, put a bit of tlc into the place.

We have no entitlement to anything, & we'll get out of it what we put into it.

• edited October 2014
    cmon guys
    you can't compete with walshy for long not tldr posts. bite size chunks please. and just think how many more posts that will mean on the forum.  
  • edited October 2014
    Another point you mentioned was how Forums work. They, sort of, belong to the Members, & its up to the Members to make a little effort if they want the Forum to work. Moaning about them makes no sense. We all have the power to make them better.   When new Diaries start, it only takes a moment to Post on them, & offer a little encouragement.   Starting new threads helps, too. Some folks have never started a new thread in their life, but they sit there & say the Forum is poo.... Go figure. If people want a good forum, they need to help build it. The power rests with us all. There are posters who have never made one positive post. Gawd knows what these people must be like in real life. Spend all the time criticising, but never do anything themselves. Not my fault Guv.  There is always a mini-mutiny, too, when someone gets chat-banned, but the fact is, it is VERY hard to get chat-banned, they generally get 2 or 3 warnings first. And you have to have rules, you just do.  All things considered, especially the quality of the Forum Software here, I think this place is pretty decent actually, populated, for the most part, by really decent people.  It'd be a real shame to lose it, so its up to the people who use it to try & look after it, & do their bit, start interesting new threads, be nice & positive, put a bit of tlc into the place.   We have no entitlement to anything, & we'll get out of it what we put into it.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I remember when I first started this thread I'd deliberated over doing it for a while. I eas nervous that nobody would post and it would all be a bit embarrassing. Within a couple of hours you, Vespa, Maxally and Devonfish had posted. I thought what a friendly place it was and wanted to post more. I was thinking "what nice guys" (I didn't know Maxally back then)

I love Plenos diary. For me though he did his best ever post this week. Nothibg to di with poker. He's a lad who's highly jntelligent, incredibly good at poker but lacking slightly in normal life skills. Goal for the day was to s buy a portable heater. Reason being that he had no idea of how to turn a radiator on
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : I remember when I first started this thread I'd deliberated over doing it for a while. I eas nervous that nobody would post and it would all be a bit embarrassing. Within a couple of hours you, Vespa, Maxally and Devonfish had posted. I thought what a friendly place it was and wanted to post more. I was thinking "what nice guys" (I didn't know Maxally back then) I love Plenos diary. For me though he did his best ever post this week. Nothibg to di with poker. He's a lad who's highly jntelligent, incredibly good at poker but lacking slightly in normal life skills. Goal for the day was to s buy a portable heater. Reason being that he had no idea of how to turn a radiator on
    Posted by Jac35
    FYP slightly.

Yup, here's a lad who, literally, gets the LOT at Online Poker, his results are unbelievable. And he had no idea how to bleed a radiator!

Supports Newcastle United, too, though "supports" is maybe the wrong word. Pardew is a clown.....

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : FYP slightly. Yup, here's a lad who, literally, gets the LOT at Online Poker, his results are unbelievable. And he had no idea how to bleed a radiator! Supports Newcastle United, too, though "supports" is maybe the wrong word. Pardew is a clown.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ooops! Fixed. Posting from phone is my excuse
  • edited October 2014
    Little did i realise 2 years ago what trouble I'd be getting into posting on your thread. ironic as well in that i was explaining how joining a team helped my mtt play. 

how is your new team going Paul? Don't hear you talk of it much, if at all.

And yes how sad am i that you got me to go back to see what my first post on your thread was. and a whole 2 weeks after it started. Still on page 2 mind you. 
  • edited October 2014
    Sorry Jac, I said to you on FB a while ago I'd pop in and give my thoughts here but forgot to...

It's probably old news now and you've already made your decision, and I'll probably only be repeating stuff everyone else has already said but here goes....

1) If you play MTTs on here, you will already be better than like 80-90% of the field in pretty muc every single MTT on the site. So there's no question there imo about your ability to beat them.

2) People talk about swings and they can be big in MTTs, BUT... if you're gonna play them anywhere, then Sky is probably the best place in terms of low variance. All the fields are pretty small and your edge over the average joe will be pretty big imo... plus a huge % of games are BHs which are obv lower variance because you'll 'cash' a lot more often, so I really don't think you'd experience huge swings on here. Like if you just played every £11 BH (think there's 6-7 per day) and nothing else, I reckon if you had only £400 in your account you would never go bus ever.

3) I said this to you online but I guess it's all about what you want. Imo there's no question that you would win more £££ playing MTTs on here than DYMs it's just about in what form that money comes. DYMs you're probably gonna have pretty consistent wins all year round, sometimes it'll be £300 in a month, sometimes £150, sometimes £500 but I'd back you to win 12 months from 12 playing DYMs. With MTTs, I think you'd win more money over the year but it'll be a lot more erratic (sp?)... some months you'll lose £200, some months you'll win £2-3k, and everything in between.
  • edited October 2014
    Little did i realise 2 years ago what trouble I'd be getting into posting on your thread. ironic as well in that i was explaining how joining a team helped my mtt play.  how is your new team going Paul? Don't hear you talk of it much, if at all. And yes how sad am i that you got me to go back to see what my first post on your thread was. and a whole 2 weeks after it started. Still on page 2 mind you. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Trouble?

Team is good. My problem is that I don't contribute much. Feel a bit bad about that.  Mondays aren't good for me. Penny is out and I make tea and put the boy to bed. The first Dtd game is a little early for me.

You're not sad Geldy, just different :)
  • edited October 2014
    Sorry Jac, I said to you on FB a while ago I'd pop in and give my thoughts here but forgot to... It's probably old news now and you've already made your decision, and I'll probably only be repeating stuff everyone else has already said but here goes.... 1) If you play MTTs on here, you will already be better than like 80-90% of the field in pretty muc every single MTT on the site. So there's no question there imo about your ability to beat them. 2) People talk about swings and they can be big in MTTs, BUT... if you're gonna play them anywhere, then Sky is probably the best place in terms of low variance. All the fields are pretty small and your edge over the average joe will be pretty big imo... plus a huge % of games are BHs which are obv lower variance because you'll 'cash' a lot more often, so I really don't think you'd experience huge swings on here. Like if you just played every £11 BH (think there's 6-7 per day) and nothing else, I reckon if you had only £400 in your account you would never go bus ever. 3) I said this to you online but I guess it's all about what you want. Imo there's no question that you would win more £££ playing MTTs on here than DYMs it's just about in what form that money comes. DYMs you're probably gonna have pretty consistent wins all year round, sometimes it'll be £300 in a month, sometimes £150, sometimes £500 but I'd back you to win 12 months from 12 playing DYMs. With MTTs, I think you'd win more money over the year but it'll be a lot more erratic (sp?)... some months you'll lose £200, some months you'll win £2-3k, and everything in between.
    Posted by Lambert180

Ta for posting Paul. Some interesting points there. Yeah, the Dyms are low variance and I can expect to win each month. It's a lot different with mtts.
    Dohhhhhhh (wonder where he's gone at the moment? pity he's not posting right now as he's one of the best forum members) made a good observation that I'm not going to move forward playing the Dyms. He's quite right. I feel that I've stood still really over the last couple of years and that means plenty of others pass you.
    Going to continue with the Dyms as that should ensure monthly profits. Going to play a little less of them though and throw in more mtts and get better at cash online.
  • edited October 2014
    DOHHHH is chat/forum banned, he's back Nov :)
  • edited October 2014
    DOHHHH is chat/forum banned, he's back Nov :)
    Posted by mrsduck
    I know ;)
  • edited October 2014

I enjoyed that, would love to hear more of your story!

• edited October 2014
    Thanks for the shout out for my diary.

Means alot that a respected forum member is reading it.

I always drop by yours when I am forum browsing because I know it will be a good read.

I guess I am as guilty as many of reading a lot and not posting enough (especially in others peoples diaries when I don't "know" them).

General point as like you I struggle to fit the MTTs in time wise whether you think a series of 1hour timed tourneys would be useful? Put on at 9-10, 930-1030, 10-11? I would certainly give those a go with the potential of much bigger results than a SNG in a similar time frame.

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Ta for posting Paul. Some interesting points there. Yeah, the Dyms are low variance and I can expect to win each month. It's a lot different with mtts. Dohhhhhhh (wonder where he's gone at the moment? pity he's not posting right now as he's one of the best forum members) made a good observation that I'm not going to move forward playing the Dyms. He's quite right. I feel that I've stood still really over the last couple of years and that means plenty of others pass you. Going to continue with the Dyms as that should ensure monthly profits. Going to play a little less of them though and throw in more mtts and get better at cash online.
    Posted by Jac35
    From your exploits at the NL50 tables last month it may be that cash could provide the twin goal or progressing as a player while ensuring a more consistent monthly profit (vs mtt)?

Saw on the news feed this morning that Kris Commons is getting linked for a move back to the E Midlands. Can't see for one second that he'd come back to Forest after the death threats... but would he be any more welcome back in Derby?
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks Phantom and Hippy.
    I really appreciate it when I get those sort of comments. Worry sometimes that I'm just droning on a lot so it's nice to know people enjoy it.

Interesting one that Phantom. Only ever played a couple of the timed mtts. Might give them a try sometime.