You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : From your exploits at the NL50 tables last month it may be that cash could provide the twin goal or progressing as a player while ensuring a more consistent monthly profit (vs mtt)? Saw on the news feed this morning that Kris Commons is getting linked for a move back to the E Midlands. Can't see for one second that he'd come back to Forest after the death threats... but would he be any more welcome back in Derby?
    Posted by shakinaces
    I'd happily welcome Commons back to Derby. Doubt it would happen.
    I don't think that Derby fans have got much against him. Our previous manager allowed his contract to run down and constantly slated him in the press. Celtic came in and offered him more money and Champions League football. Can't really blame him for going.
    I can see why he upset your lot. Bit different moving to your main rival etc
  • edited October 2014
    wow
    poor old dev seems in a bad way
    nice post though from you
    can't have any duck baiting going on around here
  • edited October 2014
    wow poor old dev seems in a bad way nice post though from you can't have any duck baiting going on around here
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks both <3
  • edited October 2014
    Golly! 

Just been involved in a police chase with me being the one they were chasing.*

Popped out to put some fuel in my car and get a latte. Petrol Station not far from me is on a roundabout. They're doing loads of roadworks at the moment and are closing the road to through traffic at night. Cones cover half the road. There is a sign saying that businesses are open as usual. My side of the road is coned off and so I go on the other side and carry on to the station. Didn't really pay much attention to the police car at the junction where the signs were.
    See the blue lights behind me and as I pull into the station they block me in and start shouting at me to get out of the car. They demand to know why I'm going down a road that is closed. I tell them why and mentioned the sign saying the station and Mcdonalds is open.
    They look at each other and shrug. One says that they didn't know that sign was there. Other one says that they're very sorry and some waffle about a lot of stolen cars at the moment. They apologise again  and they drive off.
    Weird. Even though I knew they I hadn't done anything wrong I felt very nervous. I'd be a rubbish criminal.

*may have made that sound a bit more thrilling than it really was :)
  • edited October 2014
    Golly!  Just been involved in a police chase with me being the one they were chasing.* Popped out to put some fuel in my car and get a latte. Petrol Station not far from me is on a roundabout. They're doing loads of roadworks at the moment and are closing the road to through traffic at night. Cones cover half the road. There is a sign saying that businesses are open as usual. My side of the road is coned off and so I go on the other side and carry on to the station. Didn't really pay much attention to the police car at the junction where the signs were. See the blue lights behind me and as I pull into the station they block me in and start shouting at me to get out of the car. They demand to know why I'm going down a road that is closed. I tell them why and mentioned the sign saying the station and Mcdonalds is open. They look at each other and shrug. One says that they didn't know that sign was there. Other one says that they're very sorry and some waffle about a lot of stolen cars at the moment. They apologise again  and they drive off. Weird. Even though I knew they I hadn't done anything wrong I felt very nervous. I'd be a rubbish criminal. *may have made that sound a bit more thrilling than it really was :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Upon entering the US, going through passport control they asked me a few questions about what i did, why I was there etc etc.

Queue me forgetting what I did and why I was there and me blathering on for 3 minutes just to stumble across the words... 'don't worry or anything... im ok', drying my sweaty hands on my jeans.

Man looked at me funny and said I could go through.  I think he could tell that even if i was a criminal.... id be awful at it.

Funnily enough 10 days later I pull up to some traffic lights whilst travelling towards Yosemite.  I was just looking for a motel that me and my mate could crash at for the night, then a police car pulls up behind me.  I turn left and the police car follows me....

'wouldnt it be funny if the police pulled me over?' I said to my mate.

4 seconds later the police car has their lights flashing and I have to pull over.  Police man gets out and strolls over to the window and asks me to put window down, and asks me why I dont have a liscense plate.  I say I don't know... we just rented it that way.  He asks why we are there and i get nervous again and start blathering on about travelling.

He lets us go after I start talking about how hot death valley was.... god i'd be terrible if i was on the run.
  • edited October 2014
    Sighing a bit

Lambert may be right and these mtts are a pain in the arsse.

Main was going well and made the money. Had a really big pot where I flopped a set of 3's on 643. Loved the 6 on turn and hated the 6 on river. Managed to lose the minimum against Q4 :(. Different run out and I'm top 3 stack with around 25 left.
    A little while later and Button raised and I shipped QQ. He snapped with Ace 10 and it was gg in 19th.

Mini was going well and I made the money. Nothing of note happened and I laddered up to finish 13th.

Bust the bounty hunter in unspectacular fashion.

Started the evening with a load of Dyms. Played well but it was one of those nights. At one stage I was in for £207 with just the main, mini and a couple of dyms left running. Won both Dyms and so that was a £100 back and my mtt cashes were £100.  So all in all got to be happy to escape only £7 down on the night.

Should have just gone pub
    Or
    Had 6 hours entertainment for the price of 2 pints
    Different ways of looking at it I guess

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : I think it's a bit much to suggest that I can't cope at all with downswings. I don't like them, who does, but one thing that we know we gave to get used to in poker is losing. Dym my way into tourneys? I like that one. I kind of do that now. When I'm going to play the rebuys on a weds It's going to cost around £50 so I often play a few Dyms first or alongside to pay for it. Doing it the night before makes more sense. That's a good idea. Mixing the 2 formats is not easy.
    Posted by Jac35
    you cash in both mini & main & you still complain!

the defence rests m'lord 
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : you cash in both mini & main & you still complain! the defence rests m'lord 
    Posted by GELDY
    Lol

Got me! :)
  • edited October 2014
    Police pullovers reminds me of my youth when I drove around in a beat up yellowy/orange Vauxhall viva.

I got stopped a few times by the local constabulary - usually looking for an easy mark for a fixed penalty but despite its age and appearance my car was well maintained and always legal so they never had any joy.

Funniest was one evening I was designated driver with a car full of "merry" mates - we passed our old school on the way to dropping someone home. My mates decide to wave excitedly - they hadn't seen what I had - the police car parked in the side road next to the school.

Queue police car starting up and following us. Genuinely did not help my situation that I had to turn off the main road next right as that was where my mate lived. Blue lights went on straight away and I pull over.

Senior cop gets me out of the car and starts chatting - Have you been drinking sir etc..Had a nice chat actually about tastes in alcohol of which I knew quite a lot for an 18 year old - when driving then I had a one southern comfort and coke rule then - didn't get breathalised though.

Junior cop gives rest of the car the full treatment - "are you known to us?" was his opening line - obviously thought we were regulars and were extracting the urine with the wave. Full interrogation, radio checks on ids and number plate and a car search later and we are sent on our way and I have to produce my documents at the station (none of this big brother all on computer mullarkey then - you had to take in bits of paper).

Next day I take my documents in and the desk officer asks "how did you find the police officers?" - not realising this was my opportunity to complain about an unnecessary stop and search for the crime of waving - I replied "I didn't they found me".
  • edited October 2014

And we interrupt this fine diary with a public service announcement.......

This Diary has a lot of readers, if a few of you could add a word or two of encouragement, it'd be appreciated, HERE
  • edited October 2014
    Police pullovers reminds me of my youth when I drove around in a beat up yellowy/orange Vauxhall viva. I got stopped a few times by the local constabulary - usually looking for an easy mark for a fixed penalty but despite its age and appearance my car was well maintained and always legal so they never had any joy. Funniest was one evening I was designated driver with a car full of "merry" mates - we passed our old school on the way to dropping someone home. My mates decide to wave excitedly - they hadn't seen what I had - the police car parked in the side road next to the school. Queue police car starting up and following us. Genuinely did not help my situation that I had to turn off the main road next right as that was where my mate lived. Blue lights went on straight away and I pull over. Senior cop gets me out of the car and starts chatting - Have you been drinking sir etc..Had a nice chat actually about tastes in alcohol of which I knew quite a lot for an 18 year old - when driving then I had a one southern comfort and coke rule then - didn't get breathalised though. Junior cop gives rest of the car the full treatment - "are you known to us?" was his opening line - obviously thought we were regulars and were extracting the urine with the wave. Full interrogation, radio checks on ids and number plate and a car search later and we are sent on our way and I have to produce my documents at the station (none of this big brother all on computer mullarkey then - you had to take in bits of paper). Next day I take my documents in and the desk officer asks "how did you find the police officers?" - not realising this was my opportunity to complain about an unnecessary stop and search for the crime of waving - I replied "I didn't they found me".
    Posted by Phantom66
    Vauxhall Viva? Fantastic!
    Thought it was only Geldy and Tikay who were older than me who read this
  • edited October 2014
    Phantoms got me thinking.

Neither my Mum or Dad drove and so growing up it was just normal to get the bus. I first became mobile at 16 when I bought a motorbike. I say motorbike but it was one of those 50cc jobbies. Every Mums nightmare I guess. She needn't have worried, I packed it up after 2 months. I must have fallen off it 6 times.

I may have had  slightly above the average amount of cars for someone who's been driving just shy of 20 years. I've had 15 in all. My first car was an Astra. CFL 109Y. Must be an age thing, I can't for the life of me remember the reg of the Z4 I had less than 3 years ago. The Astra finally packed up on me on the ramp to the car park to Gala Notts, when the drive shaft* went. People behind me were none too happy.

I absolutely love cars but have no idea how they work or what to do with them, I can give you an example, although i probably shouldn't. I had a successful Saturday evening once and went home with a very attractive young lady. In the morning I made breakfast and then offered her a lift home. To my horror the rear tyre was flat. To my delight i was informed that her father owned a garage and she had the incredible skill of knowing how to change a tyre. This may be the wrong round in some peoples eyes but the next 20 minutes were spent with her on her knees in her little black dress changing the tyre whilst i looked on sheepishly and made cups of tea.

Given the story above i probably should have thought twice a few months later about my idea to drive to the North West tip of mainland Britain and play Durness plus a few other courses in the Highlands, Brora and Rae. I can just imagine the conversation with the AA guy from Inverness if I'd had a puncture.

Me "Hello life saver"
    AA "Hello stupid boy, where are you?"
    Me "Well i'm not sure exactly. About 100 miles north of you. I can see a loch and a mountain if that helps? hello? hello?"

I dread to think about how much I've spent on cars in my time. I changed again just over 3 weeks ago. My first Auto and i love it. It's got this thing on it where it will park it for me. I daren't use it.

*had to edit that to get past the filters. Ridiculous
  • edited October 2014
    but "jobbies" gets through? Filter writer not scottish then.

PS The Viva was old when I got it - Old P reg 76 I think - I got it in 1984.

PPS dont think I didnt spot the "brag post" in there re the Saturday night ;-)

I think Tikay predates the Model-T so I am not sure I am happy about being slotted in the same age category!

Had an Astra myself - nice car until Mrs P decide to "touch up" some bonnet chips and it looked like it had measles.

All time fav was an Opel Manta 2.0 GTE coupe - was a bit of change up from my Viva.
  • edited October 2014
    meaning to say vwp with your main mini cash btw paul
    just got derailed by the public service announcement

i was happy last night even though i didn't cash the mini and only the main. But then 10th is the new 9th.

Do you remember why that is so, or is that dating me even further. At least only in skypoker terms this time?
  • edited October 2014
    2 out of 3 ain't bad.

I didn't play at all over the weekend and so was in the mood to play a bit last night.
    Played a stack of £20 and £30 dyms last night, badly. Quite relieved to win 4 of the last 5 to only be £60ish down at them.

Played some cash, well , and won a couple of buy ins at 40nl.

Played 1 tourney. Played well for a while and then lost my way a bit with around 15 left. Fortunately, my luckboxability kicked in and I made the final. Soft final table of Melty, Gazza, Jordz, Philany2Q and Essexphil.
    Got heads up against Phil,  who seems a really nice bloke.
    I then got it in bad numerous times and got lucky and won it for £786.57

Got me crowns fitted yesterday. When I left the dentist said "see you in 6 nonths" Hmmm, I'd like to think so but I'll probably be back next month :)
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
    Comfortably my favourite diary on here, not least due to stuff like "luckboxability" and a Paul Calf quote you put on here (at least I think it was you) ages ago that has me smiling every time I think of it. Keep up the fine work. 
  • edited October 2014
    Comfortably my favourite diary on here, not least due to stuff like "luckboxability" and a Paul Calf quote you put on here (at least I think it was you) ages ago that has me smiling every time I think of it. Keep up the fine work. 
    Posted by SR23
    Thanks SR23

Can never have enough Paul Calf quotes. 
    I would put in the one about someones shoes not being very good but I fear the filters wouldn't like it :)
    I'll go with this one instead 

"Having a body that drives women wild is a bit like having a green Ford Cortina mark4 - you've either got one or you haven't. And I've got one."
  • edited October 2014
    Hahaha, that's splendid. 
  • edited October 2014
    You sort of think to yourself "blimey!  If Geldy can win a main on here, then anyone can"
    Posted by Jac35
    and to repay the compliment i thought if paul can win the 9pm I'll have to give it a go. i only managed 3rd but i was ahead of more players than you 56 vs 51, and finished 3 above Phil, not just 1. 

seriously though, it's a nice tournament, challenging given the number of good regs that play it but clearly luckboxable as we have demonstrated. seemed to finish earlier then i remembered - guess there are fewer runners these days?

Paul Calf - legend

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : and to repay the compliment i thought if paul can win the 9pm I'll have to give it a go. i only managed 3rd but i was ahead of more players than you 56 vs 51, and finished 3 above Phil, not just 1.  seriously though, it's a nice tournament, challenging given the number of good regs that play it but clearly luckboxable as we have demonstrated. seemed to finish earlier then i remembered - guess there are fewer runners these days? Paul Calf - legend
    Posted by GELDY
    Nice one Geldy
  • edited October 2014
    Played crapp early on and did had a few rebuys.
    Played better, then lost some unpleasant ones to bust not far off money in both. 
     Cashed the 9.30 b/h, unpleasant ending :(

But..

Who cares about any of that. One more day at work and then Ireland! All ready to go.
    Should be ok. Planned schedule is 

Friday - get there and drink. Maybe play some poker
    Saturday - play poker and when I've bust, drink
    Sunday - play side event and when I've bust, drink

If anyone's got any advice on best thing to do with currency, let me know. Taking about €500. For that amount, just Post Office it?
    It's great that some unofficial SPTs are planned. Wouldn't it be nice though if Sky just considered how popular they are and gave us the real thing? It may be that there will be SPTs next year. If so, inform us please! Communication is good.
    The assistant pro joined me me for a knock the other day. Just turned pro. Was off +3. Was 7 under for 10 holes before it got dark. Fantastic to watch.
    Harry wakes up in the morning and I go into him. He's always standing up against the cot with a huge smile on his face. Best thing in the world.
    Not been back to the dentists yet. Going well.
    "There comes a time when a man must stand up and say 'I am Paul Calf!', and if you can't accept me, with all my....paradox...well then I'm sorry....ALL I WANT IS A BIT OF RESPECT"
  • edited October 2014
    Just take the cash out of an atm when you get there.
    Does anyone buy cash in advance these days? 
  • edited October 2014
    Just take the cash out of an atm when you get there. Does anyone buy cash in advance these days? 
    Posted by GELDY
    THIS
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : THIS
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    On second thoughts just leave your credit card behind the bar in the Regency. As we say over here "It'll be grand"
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks chaps
    Atm it is then, to be sure.

Getting some last minute preparation in for the weekend.  Not poker obviously but the boozer. 
    Got to go. My round :)
  • edited October 2014
    See you at some stage tomorrow pal.

Quick one we just had our budget if your still smoking bring your own
  • edited October 2014
    IPO Review

Part 1 - The Poker

This bit will be quick. I didn't win.

I was in for about 5 hours. No real hands of note throughout. Ended up going out when from 20ish bigs I 3bet the button with A 10 and got a call from original raiser. Flop of A A 5 and we get it all in on the turn. He had AQ and it was gg me. Thought it might be really bad at the time but now I'm fine with it.

Pat had a really bad one. He had chipped up to 80k at the end of the first level. This would have had him right up with the chipleaders. Oddly someone else on his table actually covered him. He raised AQ and flopped AAQ. He got it all in on the flop with the guy covering him who had AK. The K hit and Pat was gone. Would have had over 160k when the average was about 32k.

Eamonn sailed through day one playing really well and loads above average stack. He didn't get any cards at all on Day 2 and did brilliantly to get into the money. He ended up going out in a really standard spot. He was beating himself up a bit about it but that was silly. His play was absolutely fine. He made about 500 in the end

Played a little bit of cash on the Sunday. There was only 1/2 running and I didn't have enough on me to sit comfortably at the table. Average stack was playing around 600 euro. I played for a short while and won a nice pot with KK and came off with around 140 profit.

A few fun things from the tourney.
    I thought I might have a really good table at the start. We were 4 handed and a couple of hands in and on the river one of the players clicked back a raise. The chap called and showed the nuts! Set of Kings v the nut flush and a tiny, tiny pot. I looked at the dealer and he rolled his eyes. I think he did the right thing. He explained to the player that he should really issue him a penalty for soft play but was just going to warn him on this occasion. It certainly wasn't deliberate in my eyes and he just didn't know what he was doing.

I had a slightly annoying hand with a French sounding gentleman. He 4bet me really small and I peeled in position with 7's.
    He extravagantly Hellmuth style checked every street dark. The board had ran out 9 9 8 6 2. I thought that I might be able to get a call out of AK. He'd shown a liking to calling rivers with A high already. He tanked for a couple of minutes and then called. I flipped over 77 and he shook his head and said "good". He then showed his hand, QQ! knob

There was a Belgiumer on the table who had built up a stack. He lost a lot of it in one hand when the nut flush guy from earlier 'got there'. He mouthed off a load of stuff in Belgium speak and when asked if he'd been swearing by one of the players said "yes off course, he's shitt"
    Very next hand he 3bets me from the sb and I peel with KQ diamonds. I do a get there on the river and shove all in after he leads. He snaps and then snaps!
    He managed to damage the table with his card protector. This you may find that hard to believe until I tell you that the protector was a travel plug
  • edited October 2014
    IPO Review Part 1 - The Poker This bit will be quick. I didn't win. I was in for about 5 hours. No real hands of note throughout. Ended up going out when from 20ish bigs I 3bet the button with A 10 and got a call from original raiser. Flop of A A 5 and we get it all in on the turn. He had AQ and it was gg me. Thought it might be really bad at the time but now I'm fine with it. Pat had a really bad one. He had chipped up to 80k at the end of the first level. This would have had him right up with the chipleaders. Oddly someone else on his table actually covered him. He raised AQ and flopped AAQ. He got it all in on the flop with the guy covering him who had AK. The K hit and Pat was gone. Would have had over 160k when the average was about 32k. Eamonn sailed through day one playing really well and loads above average stack. He didn't get any cards at all on Day 2 and did brilliantly to get into the money. He ended up going out in a really standard spot. He was beating himself up a bit about it but that was silly. His play was absolutely fine. He made about 500 in the end .... Played a little bit of cash on the Sunday. There was only 1/2 running and I didn't have enough on me to sit comfortably at the table. Average stack was playing around 600 euro. I played for a short while and won a nice pot with KK and came off with around 140 profit. .... A few fun things from the tourney. I thought I might have a really good table at the start. We were 4 handed and a couple of hands in and on the river one of the players clicked back a raise. The chap called and showed the nuts! Set of Kings v the nut flush and a tiny, tiny pot. I looked at the dealer and he rolled his eyes. I think he did the right thing. He explained to the player that he should really issue him a penalty for soft play but was just going to warn him on this occasion. It certainly wasn't deliberate in my eyes and he just didn't know what he was doing. I had a slightly annoying hand with a French sounding gentleman. He 4bet me really small and I peeled in position with 7's. He extravagantly Hellmuth style checked every street dark. The board had ran out 9 9 8 6 2. I thought that I might be able to get a call out of AK. He'd shown a liking to calling rivers with A high already. He tanked for a couple of minutes and then called. I flipped over 77 and he shook his head and said "good". He then showed his hand, QQ! knob There was a Belgiumer on the table who had built up a stack. He lost a lot of it in one hand when the nut flush guy from earlier 'got there'. He mouthed off a load of stuff in Belgium speak and when asked if he'd been swearing by one of the players said "yes off course, he's shitt" Very next hand he 3bets me from the sb and I peel with KQ diamonds. I do a get there on the river and shove all in after he leads. He snaps and then snaps! He managed to damage the table with his card protector. This you may find that hard to believe until I tell you that the protector was a travel plug ☺
    Posted by Jac35
    Great update mate.  Was looking forward to finding out how you got on.  Sorry to hear you didn't do a win.

Subscribed for Part 2...
  • edited October 2014
    He raised AQ and flopped AAQ. He got it all in on the flop with the guy covering him who had AK. The K hit and Pat was gone.
    Posted by Jac35
    Live poker is so rigged, that sort of thing would never happen online...

Enjoyed the write-up, far better angle on the coverage than the way tournis get written up by professional poker journos!