You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited October 2014

More interested in the drinking stories, than the bad beats TBH.

Have you told ya team yet you are joining TKP?

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    More interested in the drinking stories, than the bad beats TBH. Have you told ya team yet you are joining TKP? ☺
    Posted by MAXALLY

really!

Think I'm being sucked in here but hey ho. 

• edited October 2014
    IPO Review

Part 2 - Everything else

Good signs were there from the off. I managed to get on a plane by myself for the first ever time. Was sure I was going to forget something important.
    Quick 40 minute flight and I landed at Dublin. Was met by Eamonn (CPFC) and checked in and went for some food. We arranged to meet Pat (Day4eire) in Temple Bar. We met Pat in the Dubliner and were then shown all the sights. We stayed there for 3 hours and then moved 25 yards to the next bar where we stayed for another 3 hours. :)

About 1.00 I decided I was knackered and we decided to call it a night. Quite how I didn't get into  the hotel till well after a 3.00 is a bit of a mystery. Good night from what I remember. I recall some girl from Torquay (not ZOED) start talking to me and she kept saying she was posh. I wasn't so sure even though she did say that her name was Georgia. She didn't seem to take too kindly to me suggesting that she'd been named after the US Masters or Eamonn constantly getting her name wrong and calling her Gemma.

On Saturday after I bust out I was by myself. I couldn't find Pat and Eamonn was a bit inconsiderate and was still playing poker. I knew there were some Sky people there so messaged Sam. She told me Paula was there. Great! trouble is I wasn;t 100% what she looked like. Sam was very helpful and said look for the pretty, loud lady with the big b$$bs. I suggested to Sam that it may not be good for my short term health if I went up to every woman in the hotel and assessed their chest and then asked if they were called Paula.
    We did meet up. She was with Keith who's a great bloke and had a brilliant story about a French guy. Really can't repeat that one. Longman was there, Jim and Pocket6's as well. All were great and a bit of a session begun.

Paula told some hilarious stories, again can't really repeat them. Sometime after midnight she suggested that we dance. I commented on the lack of music. "Think of a song and just dance to that. We'll start ballroom and then break off. I'm doing A Town called Malice" We begun and then broke off. Some of the raised eyebrows were a surprise to me as I though I did the Locomotion very well.

Met up with Pat on Sunday at 12.00 as Eamonn was back for Day 2. He sighed with relief as I said that I was just drinking coke as otherwise I'd do well to make 18.00. We had a few cokes and then Pat suggested that maybe we should just have a pint with the Liverpool game. Was never gonna end well! :)

Had a great weekend. Still recovering. Eamonn and Pat were fantastic hosts and looked after me.

Who'd have thought that a reasonable buy in event attracting a load of like minded people would do so well About 1650 entrants.
    If only someone thought of that idea and packaged it under a strong brand name. I think they'd be onto a real winner.

• edited October 2014
    Hi Jac
    I enjoyed our game of PLO8 tonight and shared joy of winning football teams.
    I often read your blog but this is the first time I have posted on it. I have a question.
    I have never played live and have only been playing for 18 months or so and I was intrigued by something you said in a post the other day.
    Someone should have been penalised for soft play? What is that all about?
    I sometimes find that I am unsure as to whether I am ahead in a hand or not and if ever I do go to an SPT would be horribly embarrassed if there are rules I do not know about, and get warned for calling instead of betting.
    Could you explain this further please?
    Thanks
    Nick
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Jac I enjoyed our game of PLO8 tonight and shared joy of winning football teams. I often read your blog but this is the first time I have posted on it. I have a question. I have never played live and have only been playing for 18 months or so and I was intrigued by something you said in a post the other day. Someone should have been penalised for soft play? What is that all about? I sometimes find that I am unsure as to whether I am ahead in a hand or not and if ever I do go to an SPT would be horribly embarrassed if there are rules I do not know about, and get warned for calling instead of betting. Could you explain this further please? Thanks Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nic

Welcome to thread :)

The soft play was when on the river the guy just called with the nuts. He couldn't possibly be losing and so has to raise.

Please don't worry about playing live. Certainly not at SPTs. Part of what made them so good. Everyone helps each other. The dealers will try and help as well. I doubt that there's ever been a player who wasn't nervous first time they played live. Experienced players will recognise it and won't give you a hard time.

If we do get another Sot and there's anything you're not sure about before the tourney starts, just find me or someone like Tikay and we'll sort it.
  • edited October 2014
    Great review Paul! Was great to meet you & the others too. A great weekend had by all :)
  • edited October 2014
    Fantastic weekend pal.

Had a great time.
    I haven't laughed as much as we did on Saturday in a long time.
    What made it all the better was meeting up with yourself and Eamon on Friday.
    Then catching up with the other Sky players (Alistar , Keith , Paula ,Chris and Alex)
    Although still having visions of pints of Guinness multipling on the table.
    Great time and hopefully the first of many more to come.

• edited October 2014
    IPO Review Part 2 - Everything else Good signs were there from the off. I managed to get on a plane by myself for the first ever time. Was sure I was going to forget something important. Quick 40 minute flight and I landed at Dublin. Was met by Eamonn (CPFC) and checked in and went for some food. We arranged to meet Pat (Day4eire) in Temple Bar. We met Pat in the Dubliner and were then shown all the sights. We stayed there for 3 hours and then moved 25 yards to the next bar where we stayed for another 3 hours. :) About 1.00 I decided I was knackered and we decided to call it a night. Quite how I didn't get into  the hotel till well after a 3.00 is a bit of a mystery. Good night from what I remember. I recall some girl from Torquay (not ZOED) start talking to me and she kept saying she was posh. I wasn't so sure even though she did say that her name was Georgia. She didn't seem to take too kindly to me suggesting that she'd been named after the US Masters or Eamonn constantly getting her name wrong and calling her Gemma. On Saturday after I bust out I was by myself. I couldn't find Pat and Eamonn was a bit inconsiderate and was still playing poker. I knew there were some Sky people there so messaged Sam. She told me Paula was there. Great! trouble is I wasn;t 100% what she looked like. Sam was very helpful and said look for the pretty, loud lady with the big b$$bs. I suggested to Sam that it may not be good for my short term health if I went up to every woman in the hotel and assessed their chest and then asked if they were called Paula. We did meet up. She was with Keith who's a great bloke and had a brilliant story about a French guy. Really can't repeat that one. Longman was there, Jim and Pocket6's as well. All were great and a bit of a session begun. Paula told some hilarious stories, again can't really repeat them. Sometime after midnight she suggested that we dance. I commented on the lack of music. "Think of a song and just dance to that. We'll start ballroom and then break off. I'm doing A Town called Malice" We begun and then broke off. Some of the raised eyebrows were a surprise to me as I though I did the Locomotion very well. Met up with Pat on Sunday at 12.00 as Eamonn was back for Day 2. He sighed with relief as I said that I was just drinking coke as otherwise I'd do well to make 18.00. We had a few cokes and then Pat suggested that maybe we should just have a pint with the Liverpool game. Was never gonna end well! :) Had a great weekend. Still recovering. Eamonn and Pat were fantastic hosts and looked after me. ...... Who'd have thought that a reasonable buy in event attracting a load of like minded people would do so well About 1650 entrants. If only someone thought of that idea and packaged it under a strong brand name. I think they'd be onto a real winner.
    Posted by Jac35

What a great weekend. Was a complete pleasure meeting yourself and Pat (Day4eire) and all the other sky peeps.
    Sorry you didn't get to see more of the sights on the friday night, I'm sure the next pub along would have been equally as good :)
    Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Bring it on next year.!!!

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Hi Nic Welcome to thread :) The soft play was when on the river the guy just called with the nuts. He couldn't possibly be losing and so has to raise. Please don't worry about playing live. Certainly not at SPTs. Part of what made them so good. Everyone helps each other. The dealers will try and help as well. I doubt that there's ever been a player who wasn't nervous first time they played live. Experienced players will recognise it and won't give you a hard time. If we do get another SPT and there's anything you're not sure about before the tourney starts, just find me or someone like Tikay and we'll sort it.
    Posted by Jac35
    +1 to that, Nick.

One thing I ALWAYS do before EVERY Live Event that Sky Poker hold is have a word with the TD & the Dealers before it starts, & ask them, & the other players, to cut a little slack to those who have not played "Live" before. No other Tour does this but it makes an amazing difference, & helps with the general atmo, too. We want people to ENJOY their day out, just as we want people to enjoy poker generally.  

Which, in a piece of seamless spam, reminds me, the Sky Poker UKPC has received a nomination for "Best UK Tournament, 2014", which I'm pretty chuffed about, to be honest. 

Don't forget, you can vote for it.......;)

http://www.thebritishpokerawards.com/
  • edited October 2014

Paul, LOVED the IPO Trip Report.

Was the real Paul Jackson - the poker player - there?
  • edited October 2014
    Paul, LOVED the IPO Trip Report. Was the real Paul Jackson - the poker player - there?
    Posted by Tikay10
    You didn't read the review then?
    Yes I was there.  Just didn't do no good like

A few names were there. Noticed Andy Black, Padraig Parkinson and a friend of yours Rupinder Bedi
  • edited October 2014
    Good read as always Paul
    Thanks for sharing.
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Jac
    Thanks for the clarification. I would love to try a Sky Live event one day, and it is nice to know that people like yourself would be willing to help ease any nerves.
    Nick
  • edited October 2014
    Paul, LOVED the IPO Trip Report. Was the real Paul Jackson - the poker player - there?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Unfortunately Tikay, Paul Jackson the poker player couldn't make it but Paul Jackson the drinker most certainly did.
  • edited October 2014
    it was a great weekend. Great to meet you guys and have a few beers, although im pretty sure Pat still has 3more guinness to drink :) i have another paula story that i witnessed myself that needs telling.

SO im on the ft of the 50 freezeout (which i managed to get lucky and win) and as im in the middle of a hand i see paula (slightly intoxicated) walking over to the table with a pizza box. As she walks over i notice that the box is open and theres still a few slices left. I think "brilliant! some dinner". As she approaches the table she shouts over to me and Longman and what happens? thats correct, pizza everywhere all over the floor and on a dealers foot!!! i had to insta much my next too hands cos i was laughing too hard and i couldnt see my cards through tears of laughter!

anyways great weekend and cant wait till the next one!
  • edited October 2014
    it was a great weekend. Great to meet you guys and have a few beers, although im pretty sure Pat still has 3more guinness to drink :) i have another paula story that i witnessed myself that needs telling. SO im on the ft of the 50 freezeout (which i managed to get lucky and win) and as im in the middle of a hand i see paula (slightly intoxicated) walking over to the table with a pizza box. As she walks over i notice that the box is open and theres still a few slices left. I think "brilliant! some dinner". As she approaches the table she shouts over to me and Longman and what happens? thats correct, pizza everywhere all over the floor and on a dealers foot!!! i had to insta much my next too hands cos i was laughing too hard and i couldnt see my cards through tears of laughter! anyways great weekend and cant wait till the next one!
    Posted by pockets6
    Hi

Yeah it was a good weekend. Really pleased that you won the €50
    Galway next maybe
  • edited October 2014

This isn't really a thread about wins and losses. I do tend to write about when I win though and so I should mention the not so good days as well.

I played a little on Monday and won £20ish. I lost about £50ish Tuesday night and the last night happened.
    I played the rebuys and the 9.30b/h and bust all quickly. I then lost a few dyms. I then had the smart idea of loading up 5/6 tables at 50 and 100nl. A friend messaged measking if there were any huge fish at the tables. I just replied with "yes, me"

I did a buy in straight away at 100nl in a pot where we both spewed massively. He ended up on the right side of it. Down a bunch, I had around £600 spread across the tables and could easily have lost a grand. Long time since I've been like that. I normally am very disciplined with my choice of games these days.

I won a few pots after that and then CPFC messaged me to say he was going deep in the rebuys. I'd got a lot back and decided to stand and rail him. Good decision! In the end I was pleasantly surprised that I'd only lost £54 in the end. Very lucky.

I thought those days had totally gone when I lose a bit of control. Very annoyed with myself.

Mighty Rams are flying. Top of the league now and the fans will tell you that in truth we're not yet at last seasons level. Looking around the division there doesn't seem to be anyone to be frightened off. Just can't bear the thought of the play offs again. Wigan will be a real test on Saturday. They kicked us off the park at Derby last season and got a win. Be interesting to see if we've toughned up a bit.

• edited October 2014
    Should have asked that (lady) who was punching for good luck to hit me harder.
    Lost heads up in main on sky and hu on the other site aswell.
    All while watching the Joy of ABBA.
    Fairly gutted but as Maija put it flights payed for Christmas in Lapland if we want.

PS Chris still having nightmares about them extra Guinness
  • edited October 2014
    Should have asked that (lady) who was punching for good luck to hit me harder. Lost heads up in main on sky and hu on the other site aswell. All while watching the Joy of ABBA. Fairly gutted but as Maija put it flights payed for Christmas in Lapland if we want. PS Chris still having nightmares about them extra Guinness
    Posted by day4eire76
    By chance, I watched that, too, most enjoyable, all that spandex, all those memories.
  • edited October 2014
    This isn't really a thread about wins and losses. I do tend to write about when I win though and so I should mention the not so good days as well. I played a little on Monday and won £20ish. I lost about £50ish Tuesday night and the last night happened. I played the rebuys and the 9.30b/h and bust all quickly. I then lost a few dyms. I then had the smart idea of loading up 5/6 tables at 50 and 100nl. A friend messaged measking if there were any huge fish at the tables. I just replied with "yes, me" I did a buy in straight away at 100nl in a pot where we both spewed massively. He ended up on the right side of it. Down a bunch, I had around £600 spread across the tables and could easily have lost a grand. Long time since I've been like that. I normally am very disciplined with my choice of games these days. I won a few pots after that and then CPFC messaged me to say he was going deep in the rebuys. I'd got a lot back and decided to stand and rail him. Good decision! In the end I was pleasantly surprised that I'd only lost £54 in the end. Very lucky. I thought those days had totally gone when I lose a bit of control. Very annoyed with myself. .... Mighty Rams are flying. Top of the league now and the fans will tell you that in truth we're not yet at last seasons level. Looking around the division there doesn't seem to be anyone to be frightened off. Just can't bear the thought of the play offs again. Wigan will be a real test on Saturday. They kicked us off the park at Derby last season and got a win. Be interesting to see if we've toughned up a bit.
    Posted by Jac35
    When you were looking, did you omit to notice Watford?

Very good team, dping well despite having had more managers this Season than Arsenal have had (permanent) Managers since 1976, which, I suspect, was before you were born.

More trivia as & when.

You are welcome.  

• edited October 2014
    Should have asked that (lady) who was punching for good luck to hit me harder. Lost heads up in main on sky and hu on the other site aswell. All while watching the Joy of ABBA. Fairly gutted but as Maija put it flights payed for Christmas in Lapland if we want. PS Chris still having nightmares about them extra Guinness
    Posted by day4eire76
    Still a great nights work Pat
    well done mate
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : When you were looking, did you omit to notice Watford? Very good team, dping well despite having had more managers this Season than Arsenal have had (permanent) Managers since 1976, which, I suspect, was before you were born. More trivia as & when.   You are welcome.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes
    just chose to ignore Watford.  Or, I last looked Tuesday night ;) Didn't realised that they'd played on Wednesday. Stil, not too worried about them. Conor Sammon scored the winner against them at their place last season so they can't be up to much. We also put 5 or 6 past them at home as well. 

Abba?
    Never understood the faacination with them. A slightly better Ace of Base maybe. 
    Now Roxette!  They were the real deal.

Just born in 76. December 75 was when I started out. Can say I was around when Derby last won the Championship. Even though Cpfc is way older than me,  I'm not sure that he can say the same regarding long ball Palace
  • edited October 2014
    PM received pal and message sent on FB . Kept timing out when replying here.
  • edited October 2014
    PM received pal and message sent on FB . Kept timing out when replying here.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Your fb still not working for me mate.  I'll pm later
  • edited October 2014

No idea what is going on there. I haven't downloaded the messenger app maybe thats it ?

Anyway have just copied and pasted my reply to your pm on here.

In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Your fb still not working for me mate.  I'll pm later
    Posted by Jac35
  • edited October 2014
    Posted by day4eire76
    Well played Pat. Very happy for ya. You should know as well as anyone there is never an excuse for leaving Guinness behind you, hang your head in shame fella.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Well played Pat. Very happy for ya. You should know as well as anyone there is never an excuse for leaving Guinness behind you, hang your head in shame fella.
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    Im afraid I will never live this down.
    Ah to be young again and down them pints without thinking of the next day.
  • edited October 2014
    IPO Review Part 2 - Everything else Good signs were there from the off. I managed to get on a plane by myself for the first ever time. Was sure I was going to forget something important. Quick 40 minute flight and I landed at Dublin. Was met by Eamonn (CPFC) and checked in and went for some food. We arranged to meet Pat (Day4eire) in Temple Bar. We met Pat in the Dubliner and were then shown all the sights. We stayed there for 3 hours and then moved 25 yards to the next bar where we stayed for another 3 hours. :) About 1.00 I decided I was knackered and we decided to call it a night. Quite how I didn't get into  the hotel till well after a 3.00 is a bit of a mystery. Good night from what I remember. I recall some girl from Torquay (not ZOED) start talking to me and she kept saying she was posh. I wasn't so sure even though she did say that her name was Georgia. She didn't seem to take too kindly to me suggesting that she'd been named after the US Masters or Eamonn constantly getting her name wrong and calling her Gemma. On Saturday after I bust out I was by myself. I couldn't find Pat and Eamonn was a bit inconsiderate and was still playing poker. I knew there were some Sky people there so messaged Sam. She told me Paula was there. Great! trouble is I wasn;t 100% what she looked like. Sam was very helpful and said look for the pretty, loud lady with the big b$$bs. I suggested to Sam that it may not be good for my short term health if I went up to every woman in the hotel and assessed their chest and then asked if they were called Paula. We did meet up. She was with Keith who's a great bloke and had a brilliant story about a French guy. Really can't repeat that one. Longman was there, Jim and Pocket6's as well. All were great and a bit of a session begun. Paula told some hilarious stories, again can't really repeat them. Sometime after midnight she suggested that we dance. I commented on the lack of music. "Think of a song and just dance to that. We'll start ballroom and then break off. I'm doing A Town called Malice" We begun and then broke off. Some of the raised eyebrows were a surprise to me as I though I did the Locomotion very well. Met up with Pat on Sunday at 12.00 as Eamonn was back for Day 2. He sighed with relief as I said that I was just drinking coke as otherwise I'd do well to make 18.00. We had a few cokes and then Pat suggested that maybe we should just have a pint with the Liverpool game. Was never gonna end well! :) Had a great weekend. Still recovering. Eamonn and Pat were fantastic hosts and looked after me. ...... Who'd have thought that a reasonable buy in event attracting a load of like minded people would do so well About 1650 entrants. If only someone thought of that idea and packaged it under a strong brand name. I think they'd be onto a real winner.
    Posted by Jac35
    WHAT? 

No alphabet drinking game???

Sounds rubbish..

Sort it out Pat :)

xx
  • edited October 2014
    GREAT read guys!   lolz
  • edited October 2014
    Mighty Rams!
    2-0 down last night and came back to win 5-2. Who do we want in the quarters?
    Lowly Sheff Utd and a chance to humiliate Clough? Or Johnny come latelys Man City? Quite fancy a trip to the Etihad. Not been there before.

Pokers been pretty average since Ireland. Lost a couple of hundred, pretty much all of it at cash. Mostly from playing badly.
    Played 3 mtts in the last week. Got nowhere in the rebuys last Wednesday but finalled the £55 b/h on Saturday night. Played really well until final table. Had a big chip lead and then went card dead with about 10 left. Instead of tightening up I tried to make things happen and played awfully and in the end got lucky to ladder to 5th.

Looking forward to Ukops. Not played it before. Going to play 4 mains, 3 55's and most of the £5 rebuys.