You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ramblings of an old man

Comments

• edited October 2014
    See you in the quarters

Up the Cherries !
  • edited October 2014

Morning Paul.

Just wanted to congratulate you after Derby County beat Fulham U-18 Reserves last night, great result, well done.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man:
    See you in the quarters Up the Cherries !
    Posted by VespaPX
    Hope not! 
    You've come on a bunch since we taught you a lesson a few weeks back :)
  • edited October 2014
    Morning Paul. Just wanted to congratulate you after Derby County beat Fulham U-18 Reserves last night, great result, well done.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you very much. You can only beat what's in front of you.
    sets us up nicely for an easy 3 points this weekend

btw what was all that rubbish about Watford being top last weekend?.  You got me doubting myself
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Ramblings of an old man : Thank you very much. You can only beat what's in front of you. sets us up nicely for an easy 3 points this weekend btw what was all that rubbish about Watford being top last weekend?.  You got me doubting myself
    Posted by Jac35
    Watford will win that League, they have a great system, change the Manager every fortnight. How can that fail?
  • edited October 2014
    While you're here Tony.
    What were yout thoughts on how that thread next door developed after Teddys great post? 
    I was really surprised and disappointed at the attitude of a couple of guys on there,  who normally write well, towards the recs like me. Their approach seemed very short sighted. 

I also clicked on your profile by mistake. 
    It looks as though we both might be being slightly econimical with the truth :)
  • edited October 2014
    While you're here Tony. What were yout thoughts on how that thread next door developed after Teddys great post?  I was really surprised and disappointed at the attitude of a couple of guys on there,  who normally write well, towards the recs like me. Their approach seemed very short sighted.  I also clicked on your profile by mistake.  It looks as though we both might be being slightly econimical with the truth :)
    Posted by Jac35
    I was staggered by the whole thing. Biggest story in Online Poker since 'Stars & Tilt got closed down for defying the law in the USA. Amazing stuff.

And yes, a very short-sighted attitude by the Pros on the whole matter, sheer greed, they are destrroying their own livelihoods by being so short-sighted.  

Makes me laugh when we see "Sky Poker is rigged" every day on here, & yet there are games on 'Stars where a recreational CANNOT WIN, & Pros are sat waiting, with seating scripts & all sorts of fancy third party software designed to ensure they get first dibs at any recreational that comes along. Now THAT is what I'd call "rigged". It's an absolute disgrace, imo. It'll destroy online poker, too, unless they wise up.  

Now we can start to see why Sky Poker is doing so well these days - they have never allowed third party software, & nor should they. IMO, of course. All the other "regular" sites will soon go down the same road, I guarantee you.

Whether 'Stars will, I just don't know.

I should add that I've always been a huge fan of 'Stars, they are, without doubt, the best, but their sheer size & success means it's so hard to win on there, so I don't play there these days. But I think thry are bang wrong on this third party software thing. 

Did you know there are 129 different types of Third Party Software permitted on 'Stars?

What chance has the casual recreational got?!  
  • edited October 2014
    Recs can and most definately do win in those games. Edges are very slim in hypers and volume is where regs build solid and sustainable edge. Its worth noting that if the definition of 'rec' is a player who is not a winner then its not clear how recs could ever be winners or be expected to be.

Hypers are fun low edges games. And recs wont have noticed any difference after the formation of the divison groups. Regs have always colluded, just that before division groups they colluded by never playing each other. If you want to see how that works filter the cash heads up lobby and see that collusion in action

Now regs have to play each other. Thousands of gamds. The only people who have suffered are bad regs who only played recs and played essentially way above their skill level.

3rd party software is another debate. But the groups were a natural and neccesary response to that software. I play the 15s on stars and the groups start at the 30s. A terrible things for me as i cannot now move up and wait in the sharky queue and wait for a rec. I have to play the regs that level.bad for me but surely better for the game. Recs wont notice; If they want a game they will play a reg just as they always have.

Even now there are self proclaimed regs at the 15s that moan when i sit them as they think i should simply wait in line and not block their lobby as they only want to play recs. The system is terrible for these players. And so it should be.
  • edited October 2014
    Recs can and most definately do win in those games. Edges are very slim in hypers and volume is where regs build solid and sustainable edge. Its worth noting that if the definition of 'rec' is a player who is not a winner then its not clear how recs could ever be winners or be expected to be. Hypers are fun low edges games. And recs wont have noticed any difference after the formation of the divison groups. Regs have always colluded, just that before division groups they colluded by never playing each other. If you want to see how that works filter the cash heads up lobby and see that collusion in action Now regs have to play each other. Thousands of gamds. The only people who have suffered are bad regs who only played recs and played essentially way above their skill level. 3rd party software is another debate. But the groups were a natural and neccesary response to that software. I play the 15s on stars and the groups start at the 30s. A terrible things for me as i cannot now wait in the sharky queue and wait for a rec. I have to play the regs that level.bad for me but surely better for the game. Recs wont notice  If they want a game they will play a reg just as they always have. Even now there are self proclaimed regs at the 15s that moan when i sit them as they think i should simply wait in line and not block their lobby as they only want to play recs. The system is terrible for these players. And so it should be.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Incred!

The misplaced sense of entitlement is staggering.

• edited October 2014
    Mighty Rams! 2-0 down last night and came back to win 5-2. Who do we want in the quarters? Lowly Sheff Utd and a chance to humiliate Clough?
    Posted by Jac35
    Fair play, McClaren seems to have learned to give pretty decent half time teamtalks since he left Forest... not quite on a par with the comeback from 0-4 down at the start of this reign, but cracking result nonetheless.

Hope a decent cup run helps to distract your boys in the league :)
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks for sharing the Sharks stuff with us last week Teddy. It was truly fascinating. I'm admittedly very naive with all this but you'd have a really tough time convincing me that third party software can be good for the game.
    I take your point on it forcing the bad regs to play good players. They are in the minority though. The vast majority of players on stars  will be fun recreational players. Up until last week I was blissfully unaware that if I lumped $1000 into stars to play a load of $50 heads up games, I would without fail be matched with a good pro. I would gave been under the illusion that I would certainly come up against some good players but also that I may well play against people similar to myself who just want a game.

It's very different to me going over to DTD and sitting in an uncapped 1/2 with the likes of Goulder and Linton. I would be a huge dog in this game but I would have gone into it with my eyes open.

I think it's disgraceful that stars are endorsing this.

The same applies to huds. As I've played on Sky for the last few years I've never had or learned to use huds. I read something astonishing on the thread on the other forum. There was a pro who was annoyed that regs had a chip on their shoulder about Pros using  huds. His argument was that he had spent a lot of time learning how to use them and recs shouldn't moan. What? Absolutely ludicrous. He was annoyed that someone wouldn't like the fact that he could use a piece of software to assist him in beating them rather than his own skill at the game.

I may be a dinosaur but when I started there was satosfsction to be had when you folded bottom set to the rock when he raised on the river and were proven right. Or you called the maniac with 3rd pair and were right.

I'm not sure how much satisfaction can be gained from taking a pot down with a cold 4 because some software tells you that the first guy raises light and the 3better does this a very high % of the time.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm not arguing for 3rd party software, simply asserting that once it exists the division system is entirely sensible and harms regs not recs - who will play a reg as usual. Tbe truth is you would never have sat the $50 hyper lobby and played anyone other than a pro. They have always policed their lobbies. If they scoped you and saw you were a winning player you might have been able to bumhunt the level,  but now regs have to play each other.

I doubt there is a format where recs only play recs. 

As an aside it is worth noting that even the outliers amongst the elite such as colman who has edge over people in the top 2% of hyper players and lifetime winnings of $3m in the format has done so with a winrate of around 52%. If you or i played exactly 100 games with him there wed have a decent shout off coming out the otherside in profit.

Recs get good value as the games a fast low edge and hella fun. And they can and do have winning months.

• edited October 2014
    We could look at Sharky from other angles as well. Is it not just a form of collusion?

I play mainly £22 and £33 Dyms on here at the moment. I register blind to the games and sometimes will come up against 5 good regs and other times there will be poor players in the game. I feel comfortable at these games and so I'm happy to play anyone.

We can have a look at a hypothetical situation.

For ease i'll make the numbers up.

There are 10 good regs and 200 poor players. I suggest to the other good regs that we will never register for a game when there are 2 of the good players already registered. We will play the game straight but with 4 poor players in the game then we should cash more frequently.

I doubt Sky would look too kindly on this. Is it though vastly dissimilar to what is going on on stars?
  • edited October 2014
    No its not the same. The hypothetical situation more closely resembles the situation before divisions when regs would avoid each other

If you want to see what that looks like open the hu cash lobby.

Im sure implicit collusion does occur in the dym pool - its just that it is refered to as 'table selection".

Stars have publically stated that as long as casual players can get a game they are not concerned with regs who dont want to play because they are getting sat by better players. Regs v regs is great for stars as often neithr player can beat the rake and money leaves bankrolls, cash outs are reduced amd more games run. Therein lies their interest.

Again i am not arguing for 3rd party software only for the appropriate response to it given it exists

• edited October 2014
    Don't mean it to come across as I'm arguing with you Teddy.
    Certainly not the intention. Just find it all so different to when I first started playing. 
    You're certainly correct with the Dyms actually. There are some players that I notice deregging games when a couple of good players register.
  • edited October 2014
    Don't mean it to come across as I'm arguing with you Teddy. Certainly not the intention. Just find it all so different to when I first started playing.  You're certainly correct with the Dyms actually. There are some players that I notice deregging games when a couple of good players register.
    Posted by Jac35

No worries i am happy to field questions. The situation is format specific and so alien to those looking in, and for good reason

Completely understand why its controversial and fascinating in equal measure

• edited October 2014
    Theres a thread on another forum where a $100 reg using sharky was placed into a $5k turbo and snap sat by ben sauce123 sulsky. He lost half his bankroll through an erroneous misclick by the software.  The hunter becomes hunted...
  • edited October 2014
    Theres a thread on another forum where a $100 reg using sharky was placed into a $5k turbo and snap sat by ben sauce123 sulsky. He lost half his bankroll through an erroneous misclick by the software.  The hunter becomes hunted...
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Oooh, that's gonna hurt!

What's happened to your team Teddy.
    Do you think that they'll get out of it? I hate to see long time established clubs going out of the league.
  • edited October 2014
    Id hate us to go out too.

The money dried up a while back and living within our means is difficult now that transfer fees are a thing off the past for clubs like tranmere. We used to develop players and sell them on, now all decent young players come through well funded academies.

We seem to bring in 5-6 good loanees a year and if any perfom well they get recalled within a  few months. We had years punching above our weight and we could now easily go the way of luton grimsby et al.

Think we'll settle and hopefully survive, but the days of being a contender are gone.
  • edited October 2014
    and as for that other matter lashings of humble pie here mate
  • edited October 2014
    and as for that other matter lashings of humble pie here mate
    Posted by GELDY
    All forgotten.

Let's move on. Yeah, I think I'll take part in that if there isn't too tight a time limit on playing the games. Haven't had a proper look at it yet.
  • edited October 2014
    Only time limit to worry about is that entries needed by tomorrow night at the latest. after that it's up to you.

"This isn't a race, so competition ends New Years Day. Anyone needs more time to complete 100 games, no problem.
    Please, please, please note. This is entirely for fun, not to be taken seriously. No gripes or moans are necessary."
  • edited October 2014
    I noticed earlier that this thread celebrated its second birthday this week.
    I didn't for one minute imagine 2 years ago when I was umming and ahhing about pressing submit for the first time that it would still be running. and have nearly 1600 posts.

I'm so glad now that I did start it.

A lot has happened in that time and nearly all has been good. I've become a Dad, I've made loads of new friends and the poker has been fun as well.
    It's highly unlikely that I would have attended the SPT's if I hadn't done this thread and so that reason alone has made it worthwhile doing.

I've mentioned before that I was a bit of a poker loner before playing on here. I now have good friends all over the Country that I spend time with periodically and that's been wonderful. The SPT's at Birmingham and Newcastle stand out. One for the poker and one for the fun. The recent trip to Ireland was also fantastic. It's brilliant to make friends on here and then meet up and spend a weekend playing and drinking together as if you've known each other for years.

A huge thanks to everyone who's posted on here. It's great that people like Maxally, Tikay and Vespa posted on the 1st page and still pop in from time to time. Latecomers like Geldy (2nd page) still post as well. I really wasn't sure if it would have any legs as there's very little in the way of challenges and half the time I don't even mention poker. I'm always confused when people apologise for derailing the thread. For me that's when I enjoy it the most. When it goes off on different directions and people want to post.

I've thought on numerous occasions that it might all be a bit stale and boring and that it might be best to end it. The truth is that I would really miss it though and so I intend to keep rambling away for some time yet.

Oh, poker
    Had a rubbish last 10 days so tonights helped. Won 6 out of 6 Dyms. Nice profit of £122 for an hours work to end the month.
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks for the mention Paul
    One of the must read threads on here.

Looking forward to seeing you on the PLO8 tables :-)
  • edited October 2014
    I, like many I should imagine always enjoy reading it buddy.  My fav time to catch up is about 5am when the tables are dying and there's no chance I can fall asleep.  I'm not trying to imply that your diary sends me to sleep!

Keep up the enjoyable reading material for me and look forward to seeing you at the next live event.

James
  • edited October 2014

Great Diary, Paul, I can't read "poker only" diaries, with all that "so the flop came" (zzzz) they bore me stiff, I like a bit of balance & you get it spot on. 

Quite like your occasional* little moany-woany rants, too. 

* "Occasional" = daily.
  • edited October 2014

Just like to point out that I never have, or never will, read this tripe on here. 
  • edited October 2014
    Just like to point out that I never have, or never will, read this tripe on here. 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    At least you got a mention as a "first pager"  ;-(    I'm not gonna read anymore either!  ;-)))

• edited November 2014

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT.

Brentford 2 (two) Derby County 1